Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hiv 1 in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: hiv 1
- Hyde R, Buckheit R, Broom A. "Senseless" antiviral polyribonucleotides: poly (1-propargylinosinic acid). Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2002;21:45-54 pubmed
- Howard B, Vajdos F, Li S, Sundquist W, Hill C. Structural insights into the catalytic mechanism of cyclophilin A. Nat Struct Biol. 2003;10:475-81 pubmed..CypA Arg55 guanidinium group probably facilitates catalysis by anchoring the substrate proline oxygen and stabilizing sp3 hybridization of the proline nitrogen in the transition state. ..
- Dehart J, Planelles V. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr links proteasomal degradation and checkpoint activation. J Virol. 2008;82:1066-72 pubmed
- Pyne M, Brown K, Hillyard D. Evaluation of the Roche Cobas AmpliPrep/Cobas TaqMan HIV-1 test and identification of rare polymorphisms potentially affecting assay performance. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:2852-8 pubmed publisher..Otherwise, the CAP/CTM assay exhibits excellent sensitivity, dynamic range, reproducibility, and correlation with Amplicor in an automated format. ..
- Andersen J, Planelles V. The role of Vpr in HIV-1 pathogenesis. Curr HIV Res. 2005;3:43-51 pubmed..This review presents the latest findings about the pathogenic events triggered by Vpr, the cellular pathways involved, and the molecular and cellular consequences of the action of Vpr in the context of HIV-1 infection. ..
- Bajorek M, Morita E, Skalicky J, Morham S, Babst M, Sundquist W. Biochemical analyses of human IST1 and its function in cytokinesis. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1360-73 pubmed publisher..In contrast, IST1 depletion did not inhibit human immunodeficiency virus-1 budding. Thus, IST1 and CHMP1 act together to recruit and modulate specific VPS4 activities required during the final stages of cell division. ..
- Dehart J, Zimmerman E, Ardon O, Monteiro Filho C, Argañaraz E, Planelles V. HIV-1 Vpr activates the G2 checkpoint through manipulation of the ubiquitin proteasome system. Virol J. 2007;4:57 pubmed..Recruitment of this factor leads to its ubiquitination and degradation, resulting in failure to enter mitosis. ..
- Andersen J, Zimmerman E, DeHart J, Murala S, Ardon O, Blackett J, et al. ATR and GADD45alpha mediate HIV-1 Vpr-induced apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:326-34 pubmed..Our results support a model in which Vpr-induced apoptosis is mediated via ATR phosphorylation of BRCA1, and consequent upregulation of GADD45alpha. ..
- Morita E, Sandrin V, Alam S, Eckert D, Gygi S, Sundquist W. Identification of human MVB12 proteins as ESCRT-I subunits that function in HIV budding. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:41-53 pubmed..Taken together, these studies define the composition of human ESCRT-I complexes and indicate that the MVB12 subunits play a unique role in regulating ESCRT-mediated virus budding. ..
- Stuchell Brereton M, Skalicky J, Kieffer C, Karren M, Ghaffarian S, Sundquist W. ESCRT-III recognition by VPS4 ATPases. Nature. 2007;449:740-4 pubmed..Thus, our studies reveal how the VPS4 ATPases recognize their CHMP substrates to facilitate the membrane fission events required for the release of viruses, endosomal vesicles and daughter cells. ..
- Zimmerman E, Chen J, Andersen J, Ardon O, Dehart J, Blackett J, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr-mediated G2 arrest requires Rad17 and Hus1 and induces nuclear BRCA1 and gamma-H2AX focus formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9286-94 pubmed..These findings should contribute to a greater understanding of how HIV-1 manipulates the CD4(+)-lymphocyte cell cycle and apoptosis induction in the progressive CD4(+)-lymphocyte depletion characteristic of HIV-1 pathogenesis. ..
- Fisher R, Chung H, Zhai Q, Robinson H, Sundquist W, Hill C. Structural and biochemical studies of ALIX/AIP1 and its role in retrovirus budding. Cell. 2007;128:841-52 pubmed..ALIX therefore serves as a flexible, extended scaffold that connects retroviral Gag proteins to ESCRT-III and other cellular-budding machinery...
- Dehart J, Bosque A, Harris R, Planelles V. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vif induces cell cycle delay via recruitment of the same E3 ubiquitin ligase complex that targets APOBEC3 proteins for degradation. J Virol. 2008;82:9265-72 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cell cycle delay by Vif is a result of ubiquitination and degradation of a cellular protein that is different from the known APOBEC3 family members. ..
- Langelier C, von Schwedler U, Fisher R, De Domenico I, White P, Hill C, et al. Human ESCRT-II complex and its role in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 release. J Virol. 2006;80:9465-80 pubmed..These observations indicate that there are probably multiple pathways for protein sorting/MVB vesicle formation in human cells and that HIV-1 does not utilize an ESCRT-II-dependent pathway to leave the cell. ..
- Bosque A, Planelles V. Induction of HIV-1 latency and reactivation in primary memory CD4+ T cells. Blood. 2009;113:58-65 pubmed publisher..We also found that the cis-acting elements which are critical toward HIV-1 reactivation are the Sp1 and kappaB/NFAT transcription factor binding sites. ..
- Scott A, Chung H, Gonciarz Swiatek M, Hill G, Whitby F, Gaspar J, et al. Structural and mechanistic studies of VPS4 proteins. EMBO J. 2005;24:3658-69 pubmed
- Dehart J, Andersen J, Zimmerman E, Ardon O, An D, Blackett J, et al. The ataxia telangiectasia-mutated and Rad3-related protein is dispensable for retroviral integration. J Virol. 2005;79:1389-96 pubmed..We conclude that cells in which ATR has been depleted are competent for retroviral integration. We also conclude that the presence of Vpr as a virion-bound protein does not enhance integration of a lentivirus vector in dividing cells. ..
- Stuchell M, Garrus J, Muller B, Stray K, Ghaffarian S, McKinnon R, et al. The human endosomal sorting complex required for transport (ESCRT-I) and its role in HIV-1 budding. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:36059-71 pubmed..Taken together, these experiments define new components of the human ESCRT-I complex and characterize several TSG101 protein/protein interactions required for HIV-1 budding and infectivity. ..
- Yoo S, Myszka D, Yeh C, McMurray M, Hill C, Sundquist W. Molecular recognition in the HIV-1 capsid/cyclophilin A complex. J Mol Biol. 1997;269:780-95 pubmed..These studies reveal that the active site of CypA, which can catalyze the isomerization of proline residues in vitro, also functions as a sequence-specific, protein-binding motif in HIV-1 replication. ..
- Vajdos F, Yoo S, Houseweart M, Sundquist W, Hill C. Crystal structure of cyclophilin A complexed with a binding site peptide from the HIV-1 capsid protein. Protein Sci. 1997;6:2297-307 pubmed
- Zhai Q, Fisher R, Chung H, Myszka D, Sundquist W, Hill C. Structural and functional studies of ALIX interactions with YPX(n)L late domains of HIV-1 and EIAV. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:43-9 pubmed..These results reveal how YPX(n)L late domains recruit ALIX to facilitate virus budding and how ALIX can bind YPX(n)L sequences with both n = 1 and n = 3. ..
- Zimmerman E, Sherman M, Blackett J, Neidleman J, Kreis C, Mundt P, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Vpr induces DNA replication stress in vitro and in vivo. J Virol. 2006;80:10407-18 pubmed..We report that infected cells in vivo display an aberrant cell cycle profile whereby a majority of cells have a 4N DNA content, consistent with the onset of G2 arrest. ..
- Ward D, Vaughn M, Shiflett S, White P, Pollock A, Hill J, et al. The role of LIP5 and CHMP5 in multivesicular body formation and HIV-1 budding in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:10548-55 pubmed
- von Schwedler U, Stuchell M, Muller B, Ward D, Chung H, Morita E, et al. The protein network of HIV budding. Cell. 2003;114:701-13 pubmed..These studies define a protein network required for human MVB biogenesis and indicate that the entire network participates in the release of HIV and probably many other viruses. ..
- Andersen J, Dehart J, Zimmerman E, Ardon O, Kim B, Jacquot G, et al. HIV-1 Vpr-induced apoptosis is cell cycle dependent and requires Bax but not ANT. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e127 pubmed
- Bajji A, Sundaram M, Myszka D, Davis D. An RNA complex of the HIV-1 A-loop and tRNA(Lys,3) is stabilized by nucleoside modifications. J Am Chem Soc. 2002;124:14302-3 pubmed..One model for the anticodon/A-loop RNA complex that is consistent with the known modification effects on tRNA structure and function is that of complementary tRNAs, as seen for the published crystal structure of tRNAAsp. ..
- Garrus J, von Schwedler U, Pornillos O, Morham S, Zavitz K, Wang H, et al. Tsg101 and the vacuolar protein sorting pathway are essential for HIV-1 budding. Cell. 2001;107:55-65 pubmed..These observations suggest that retroviruses bud by appropriating cellular machinery normally used in the Vps pathway to form multivesicular bodies. ..