Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on electron transport complex iv in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: electron transport complex iv
- Nittis T, George G, Winge D. Yeast Sco1, a protein essential for cytochrome c oxidase function is a Cu(I)-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:42520-6 pubmed..Thus, the function of Sco1 correlates with Cu(I) binding. Data obtained from size-exclusion chromatography experiments with mitochondrial lysates suggest that full-length Sco1 may be oligomeric in vivo. ..
- Brown B, Wang Z, Brown K, Cricco J, Hegg E. Heme O synthase and heme A synthase from Bacillus subtilis and Rhodobacter sphaeroides interact in Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:13541-8 pubmed publisher..Because of the strong sequence similarity and evolutionary relationship between R. sphaeroides and mitochondria, our data suggest that this complex may form in eukaryotes as well...
- Pierrel F, Bestwick M, Cobine P, Khalimonchuk O, Cricco J, Winge D. Coa1 links the Mss51 post-translational function to Cox1 cofactor insertion in cytochrome c oxidase assembly. EMBO J. 2007;26:4335-46 pubmed..coa1Delta cells also display a mitochondrial copper defect suggesting that Coa1 may have a direct link to copper metallation of CcO. ..
- Rigby K, Cobine P, Khalimonchuk O, Winge D. Mapping the functional interaction of Sco1 and Cox2 in cytochrome oxidase biogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:15015-22 pubmed publisher..In addition, the mutants failed to suppress the hydrogen peroxide sensitivity of sco1Delta cells. These studies implicate different surfaces on Sco1 for interaction or function with Cox17 and Cox2. ..
- Cui T, Conte A, Fox J, Zara V, Winge D. Modulation of the respiratory supercomplexes in yeast: enhanced formation of cytochrome oxidase increases the stability and abundance of respiratory supercomplexes. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:6133-41 pubmed publisher..This study presents the first evidence showing that supercomplexes can be stabilized by the stimulated formation of CcO. ..
- Federer F, Williams D, Ichida J, Merlin S, Angelucci A. Two projection streams from macaque V1 to the pale cytochrome oxidase stripes of V2. J Neurosci. 2013;33:11530-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that in macaque, the two pale stripes are anatomically distinct compartments, and support the notion of two distinct projection streams from V1 to the two pale stripes of V2. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Kim H, Watts T, Perez Martinez X, Winge D. Oligomerization of heme o synthase in cytochrome oxidase biogenesis is mediated by cytochrome oxidase assembly factor Coa2. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:26715-26 pubmed publisher..Thus, Cox10 oligomerization and catalytic activation are separate processes and can be uncoupled. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Jeong M, Watts T, Ferris E, Winge D. Selective Oma1 protease-mediated proteolysis of Cox1 subunit of cytochrome oxidase in assembly mutants. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:7289-300 pubmed publisher..Specific Cox1 proteolysis in coa2? cells arises from a combination of Oma1 activation and a susceptible conformation of Cox1. ..
- Watts T, Khalimonchuk O, Wolf R, Turk E, Mohr G, Winge D. Mne1 is a novel component of the mitochondrial splicing apparatus responsible for processing of a COX1 group I intron in yeast. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:10137-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, the primary defect in mne1? cells is splicing of the aI5? intron in COX1. ..
- Wang L, Becker J, Wu Q, Oliveira M, Bozza F, Schwager A, et al. Bioimaging of copper alterations in the aging mouse brain by autoradiography, laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and immunohistochemistry. Metallomics. 2010;2:348-53 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates the importance of a multi-modality approach in studying the biodistribution and homeostasis of Cu in the brain. ..
- Bestwick M, Jeong M, Khalimonchuk O, Kim H, Winge D. Analysis of Leigh syndrome mutations in the yeast SURF1 homolog reveals a new member of the cytochrome oxidase assembly factor family. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4480-91 pubmed publisher..Cyc1 is known to be important at an ill-defined step in the assembly and/or stability of CcO. This new link to Coa4 may begin to further elucidate the role of Cyc1 in CcO biogenesis. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Bestwick M, Meunier B, Watts T, Winge D. Formation of the redox cofactor centers during Cox1 maturation in yeast cytochrome oxidase. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1004-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, formation of the heterobimetallic Cu(B):heme a(3) site likely occurs in the Shy1-containing Cox1 complex. ..
- Carr H, George G, Winge D. Yeast Cox11, a protein essential for cytochrome c oxidase assembly, is a Cu(I)-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:31237-42 pubmed..Cytochrome c oxidase activity is reduced in these mutants. Thus, the residues important for Cu(I) binding correlate with in vivo function, suggesting that Cu(I) binding is important in Cox11 function. ..
- Heaton D, George G, Garrison G, Winge D. The mitochondrial copper metallochaperone Cox17 exists as an oligomeric, polycopper complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:743-51 pubmed..Thus, the oligomeric state of Cox17 may be important to its physiological function. ..
- Rigby K, Zhang L, Cobine P, George G, Winge D. characterization of the cytochrome c oxidase assembly factor Cox19 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:10233-42 pubmed..Cysteinyl residues important for Cu(I) binding are also shown to be important for the in vivo function of Cox19. Thus, a correlation exists in the ability to bind Cu(I) and in vivo function. ..
- Cobine P, Pierrel F, Leary S, Sasarman F, Horng Y, Shoubridge E, et al. The P174L mutation in human Sco1 severely compromises Cox17-dependent metallation but does not impair copper binding. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:12270-6 pubmed..They further suggest that defective Cox17-mediated copper metallation of Sco1, as well as the subsequent failure of Cu(A) site maturation, is the basis for the inefficient assembly of the cytochrome c oxidase complex in SCO1 patients. ..
- Horng Y, Cobine P, Maxfield A, Carr H, Winge D. Specific copper transfer from the Cox17 metallochaperone to both Sco1 and Cox11 in the assembly of yeast cytochrome C oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:35334-40 pubmed..Metallation of these domains was strictly dependent on the co-expression of Cox17. Thus, Cox17 represents a novel copper chaperone that delivers copper to two proteins. ..
- Chen Y, Taylor E, Dephoure N, Heo J, Tonhato A, Papandreou I, et al. Identification of a protein mediating respiratory supercomplex stability. Cell Metab. 2012;15:348-60 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Rcf1 is a member of an evolutionarily conserved protein family that acts to promote respiratory supercomplex assembly and activity. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Bird A, Winge D. Evidence for a pro-oxidant intermediate in the assembly of cytochrome oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17442-9 pubmed..Studies on the hydrogen peroxide sensitivity in CcO assembly mutants reveal new aspects of the CcO assembly process. ..
- Srinivasan C, Posewitz M, George G, Winge D. Characterization of the copper chaperone Cox17 of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemistry. 1998;37:7572-7 pubmed..26 A, plus a short Cu-Cu distance of 2.7 A, indicating a binuclear cluster in Cox17. The cuprous-thiolate cluster in Cox17 is substantially more labile than structurally related clusters in metallothioneins. ..
- Khalimonchuk O, Rigby K, Bestwick M, Pierrel F, Cobine P, Winge D. Pet191 is a cytochrome c oxidase assembly factor in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot Cell. 2008;7:1427-31 pubmed publisher..The import of Pet191 differs from that of other twin-Cx(9)C motif class of proteins in being independent of the Mia40 pathway. ..
- Pierrel F, Khalimonchuk O, Cobine P, Bestwick M, Winge D. Coa2 is an assembly factor for yeast cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis that facilitates the maturation of Cox1. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4927-39 pubmed publisher..The matrix-localized Coa2 protein may aid in stabilizing an early Cox1 intermediate containing the nuclear subunits Cox5a and Cox6. ..
- Bestwick M, Khalimonchuk O, Pierrel F, Winge D. The role of Coa2 in hemylation of yeast Cox1 revealed by its genetic interaction with Cox10. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:172-85 pubmed publisher..We postulate that the mutant Cox10 complex has enhanced efficiency in the addition of heme a to Cox1. Coa2 appears to impart stability to the oligomeric wild-type Cox10 complex involved in Cox1 hemylation. ..
- Coyne H, Ciofi Baffoni S, Banci L, Bertini I, Zhang L, George G, et al. The characterization and role of zinc binding in yeast Cox4. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:8926-34 pubmed..The Zn(II) ion is buried within the domain, consistent with its role in structural stability. Potential functions of this matrix-facing subunit are discussed. ..
- Cobine P, Pierrel F, Bestwick M, Winge D. Mitochondrial matrix copper complex used in metallation of cytochrome oxidase and superoxide dismutase. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36552-9 pubmed..These data suggest that attenuation of the matrix CuL complex via heterologous competitors limits available copper for metallation of CcO and Sod1 within the IMS. The ligand also exists in the cytoplasm in an apparent metal-free state. ..
- Johnson Davis K, Hanson G, Keefe K. Long-term post-synaptic consequences of methamphetamine on preprotachykinin mRNA expression. J Neurochem. 2002;82:1472-9 pubmed..These data suggest that neurotoxic regimens of methamphetamine induce changes in striatonigral neurons that persist for up to 3 months, although there is some recovery. ..