Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on body patterning in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: body patterning
- Hatch E, Noyes C, Wang X, Wright T, Mansour S. Fgf3 is required for dorsal patterning and morphogenesis of the inner ear epithelium. Development. 2007;134:3615-25 pubmed..Finally, we show that Fgf3 prevents ventral expansion of r5-6 neurectodermal Wnt3a, serving to focus inductive WNT signals on the dorsal otic vesicle and highlighting a new example of cross-talk between the two signaling systems. ..
- Saund R, Kanai Azuma M, Kanai Y, Kim I, Lucero M, Saijoh Y. Gut endoderm is involved in the transfer of left-right asymmetry from the node to the lateral plate mesoderm in the mouse embryo. Development. 2012;139:2426-35 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest an essential role of endoderm cells in the signal transfer step from the node to the LPM, possibly using gap junction communication to establish the LR axis of the mouse...
- Gurley K, Rink J, SANCHEZ ALVARADO A. Beta-catenin defines head versus tail identity during planarian regeneration and homeostasis. Science. 2008;319:323-7 pubmed..We suggest that beta-catenin functions as a molecular switch to specify and maintain anteroposterior identity during regeneration and homeostasis in planarians...
- Tsai I, Amack J, Gao Z, Band V, Yost H, Virshup D. A Wnt-CKIvarepsilon-Rap1 pathway regulates gastrulation by modulating SIPA1L1, a Rap GTPase activating protein. Dev Cell. 2007;12:335-47 pubmed..Our data demonstrate a role for CKIvarepsilon in noncanonical Wnt signaling and indicate that Wnt regulates morphogenesis in part through CKIvarepsilon-mediated control of Rap1 signaling. ..
- Scuderi A, Simin K, Kazuko S, Metherall J, Letsou A. scylla and charybde, homologues of the human apoptotic gene RTP801, are required for head involution in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;291:110-22 pubmed
- Gaufo G, Flodby P, Capecchi M. Hoxb1 controls effectors of sonic hedgehog and Mash1 signaling pathways. Development. 2000;127:5343-54 pubmed..The findings reported here provide evidence for a genetic cascade in which an AP-specified transcription factor, Hoxb1, controls the commitment and specification of neurons derived from both alar and basal plates of r4. ..
- Essner J, Vogan K, Wagner M, Tabin C, Yost H, Brueckner M. Conserved function for embryonic nodal cilia. Nature. 2002;418:37-8 pubmed
- Barrow J, Stadler H, Capecchi M. Roles of Hoxa1 and Hoxa2 in patterning the early hindbrain of the mouse. Development. 2000;127:933-44 pubmed..Subsequent to misspecification of the hindbrain compartments, ectopic induction of apoptosis appears to be used to regulate the aberrant size of the misspecified rhombomeres. ..
- Wagner M, Yost H. Left-right development: the roles of nodal cilia. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R149-51 pubmed
- Bonner J, Gribble S, Veien E, Nikolaus O, Weidinger G, Dorsky R. Proliferation and patterning are mediated independently in the dorsal spinal cord downstream of canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2008;313:398-407 pubmed..Together, our work demonstrates that proliferation and patterning in the developing spinal cord are separable events that are regulated independently by Wnt signaling. ..
- Amack J, Wang X, Yost H. Two T-box genes play independent and cooperative roles to regulate morphogenesis of ciliated Kupffer's vesicle in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;310:196-210 pubmed..By targeting morpholinos to DFCs, we show that these cell autonomous functions in KV morphogenesis are necessary for LR patterning throughout the embryo. ..
- Wellik D, Capecchi M. Hox10 and Hox11 genes are required to globally pattern the mammalian skeleton. Science. 2003;301:363-7 pubmed..The redundancy among these paralogous family members is so great that this global aspect of Hox patterning is not apparent in mice that are mutant for five of the six paralogous alleles. ..
- Peterson A, Wang X, Yost H. Dvr1 transfers left-right asymmetric signals from Kupffer's vesicle to lateral plate mesoderm in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2013;382:198-208 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Dvr1 is responsible for enabling the transfer of a left-right signal from KV to the LPM...
- Neugebauer J, Cadwallader A, Amack J, Bisgrove B, Yost H. Differential roles for 3-OSTs in the regulation of cilia length and motility. Development. 2013;140:3892-902 pubmed publisher..We propose that individual 3-OST isozymes create distinct modified domains or 'glycocodes' on cell surface proteoglycans, which in turn regulate the response to diverse cell signaling pathways. ..
- Gribble S, Nikolaus O, Dorsky R. Regulation and function of Dbx genes in the zebrafish spinal cord. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:3472-83 pubmed..Our data confirm that the dbx1a/1b/2 domain in zebrafish spinal cord development behaves similarly to amniotes, while extending knowledge of Dbx1 function in spinal cord patterning. ..
- Bisgrove B, Snarr B, Emrazian A, Yost H. Polaris and Polycystin-2 in dorsal forerunner cells and Kupffer's vesicle are required for specification of the zebrafish left-right axis. Dev Biol. 2005;287:274-88 pubmed..Our data suggest that the functions of polaris and pkd2 in LR patterning are conserved between zebrafish and mice and that Kupffer's vesicle functions as a ciliated organ of asymmetry. ..
- Boulet A, Capecchi M. Multiple roles of Hoxa11 and Hoxd11 in the formation of the mammalian forelimb zeugopod. Development. 2004;131:299-309 pubmed..As a consequence, growth and maturation of these bones is highly disorganized, resulting in the creation of amorphous bony elements, rather than a normal radius and ulna. ..
- Jurynec M, Grunwald D. SHIP2, a factor associated with diet-induced obesity and insulin sensitivity, attenuates FGF signaling in vivo. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:733-42 pubmed publisher..We suggest that modulation of FGF signaling may be a principal function of SHIP2 in mammals. ..
- Amack J, Yost H. The T box transcription factor no tail in ciliated cells controls zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Curr Biol. 2004;14:685-90 pubmed
- Bisgrove B, Essner J, Yost H. Regulation of midline development by antagonism of lefty and nodal signaling. Development. 1999;126:3253-62 pubmed..A model is proposed by which the vertebrate midline, and thus bilateral symmetry, is established and maintained by antagonistic interactions among co-expressed members of the lefty and nodal subfamilies of TGF-beta signaling molecules. ..
- Kim H, Dorsky R. Tcf7l1 is required for spinal cord progenitor maintenance. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:2256-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that Tcf7l1 plays an important role in spinal cord progenitor maintenance, indicating that this core function is conserved throughout multiple epithelial cell populations. ..
- Moon A, Capecchi M. Fgf8 is required for outgrowth and patterning of the limbs. Nat Genet. 2000;26:455-9 pubmed..Lack of Fgf8 in the apical ectodermal ridge (AER) alters expression of other Fgf genes, Shh and Bmp2. ..
- Stadler H, Higgins K, Capecchi M. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development. 2001;128:4177-88 pubmed..These results suggest that an important role for Hoxa13 during limb and UA development is to regulate genes whose products are required for mesenchymal cell adhesion, sorting and boundary formation. ..
- Vetter M, Brown N. The role of basic helix-loop-helix genes in vertebrate retinogenesis. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2001;12:491-8 pubmed
- Chen F, Greer J, Capecchi M. Analysis of Hoxa7/Hoxb7 mutants suggests periodicity in the generation of the different sets of vertebrae. Mech Dev. 1998;77:49-57 pubmed..A hypothesis is suggested to explain the observation that axial defects in these and other mouse Hox mutants appear to concentrate along the axial column at zones of transition between vertebral types. ..
- Scuderi A, Letsou A. Amnioserosa is required for dorsal closure in Drosophila. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:791-800 pubmed
- Gribble S, Kim H, Bonner J, Wang X, Dorsky R. Tcf3 inhibits spinal cord neurogenesis by regulating sox4a expression. Development. 2009;136:781-9 pubmed publisher..Both of these functions are mediated by Tcf3 independently of canonical Wnt signaling. Together, our data indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of neurogenesis by Tcf3-mediated repression. ..
- Barrott J, Cash G, Smith A, Barrow J, Murtaugh L. Deletion of mouse Porcn blocks Wnt ligand secretion and reveals an ectodermal etiology of human focal dermal hypoplasia/Goltz syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:12752-7 pubmed publisher..Conditional deletion of Porcn thus provides an experimental model of FDH, as well as a valuable tool to probe Wnt ligand function in vivo...
- Hoshijima K, Metherall J, Grunwald D. A protein disulfide isomerase expressed in the embryonic midline is required for left/right asymmetries. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2518-29 pubmed
- Sato M, Tsai H, Yost H. Semaphorin3D regulates invasion of cardiac neural crest cells into the primary heart field. Dev Biol. 2006;298:12-21 pubmed..We propose that a population of sema3D-dependent neural crest cells follow a novel migratory pathway, perhaps toward nrp1A-expressing LPM, and serve as an important early source of cardiomyocytes in the primary heart field. ..
- Bisgrove B, Morelli S, Yost H. Genetics of human laterality disorders: insights from vertebrate model systems. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2003;4:1-32 pubmed..This approach helps suggest candidate genes and genetic pathways that might be perturbed in human laterality disorders and improves diagnostic criteria. ..
- Gaufo G, Thomas K, Capecchi M. Hox3 genes coordinate mechanisms of genetic suppression and activation in the generation of branchial and somatic motoneurons. Development. 2003;130:5191-201 pubmed