Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial proteins in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: bacterial proteins
Publications131 found, 100 shown here
- Kim E, Panushka J, Meyer T, Ide N, Carlisle R, Baker S, et al. Biogenesis of the Flagellar Switch Complex in Escherichia coli: Formation of Sub-Complexes Independently of the Basal-Body MS-Ring. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2353-2359 pubmed publisher..FliM does not multimerize efficiently by itself but does so in the presence of FliG. Thus, pre-assemblies of the switch-complex proteins can form in the cytosol and might function as intermediates in assembly. ..
- Karow M, Raina S, Georgopoulos C, Fayet O. Complex phenotypes of null mutations in the htr genes, whose products are essential for Escherichia coli growth at elevated temperatures. Res Microbiol. 1991;142:289-94 pubmed..The htrM gene is identical to the rfaD gene, whose product is required for the biosynthesis of the lipopolysaccharide precursor ADP-L-glycero-D-mannoheptose (Pegues et al., J. Bact., 1990, 172, 4652-4660). ..
- Spence J, Georgopoulos C. Purification and properties of the Escherichia coli heat shock protein, HtpG. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:4398-403 pubmed..The HtpG protein was found to be a phosphoprotein. Thus, HtpG is structurally similar to its eukaryotic homologue, hsp83, which is also a phosphoprotein and a dimer. ..
- Swindle J, Zylicz M, Georgopoulos C, Li J, Greenblatt J. Purification and properties of the NusB protein of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:10229-35 pubmed..Since such a strain does not produce NusB protein detectable by immunoprecipitation with anti-NusB, normal amounts of NusB are not essential for the survival of E. coli at 42 degrees C. ..
- Brown P, Hill C, Blair D. Crystal structure of the middle and C-terminal domains of the flagellar rotor protein FliG. EMBO J. 2002;21:3225-34 pubmed publisher..We propose a model for the organization of FliG-MC molecules in the flagellum, and suggest that CW/CCW switching might occur by movement of the C-terminal domain relative to other parts of FliG, under the control of FliM...
- Lowder B, Duyvesteyn M, Blair D. FliG subunit arrangement in the flagellar rotor probed by targeted cross-linking. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:5640-7 pubmed..On the basis of the cross-linking results and the data available from mutational and electron microscopic studies, we propose a model for the organization of FliG subunits in the flagellum. ..
- Brown P, Terrazas M, Paul K, Blair D. Mutational analysis of the flagellar protein FliG: sites of interaction with FliM and implications for organization of the switch complex. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:305-12 pubmed..We propose a model for the organization of FliG and FliM subunits that accounts for the FliG-FliM interactions identified here and for the different copy numbers of FliG and FliM in the flagellum. ..
- Ames P, Parkinson J. Phenotypic suppression methods for analyzing intra- and inter-molecular signaling interactions of chemoreceptors. Methods Enzymol. 2007;423:436-57 pubmed..The suppression patterns exhibit allele-specificity with respect to the compensatory residue positions and amino acid side chains, a hallmark of stereospecific protein-protein interactions. ..
- Parkinson J. Signaling mechanisms of HAMP domains in chemoreceptors and sensor kinases. Annu Rev Microbiol. 2010;64:101-22 pubmed publisher..A three-state, dynamic bundle signaling model best accounts for the signaling properties of chemoreceptor mutants and may apply to other transducers as well. ..
- ..Here we present a structural perspective on how proteasomes are activated and how substrates are delivered to the proteolytic sites. ..
- Hicke B, Pasko C, Groves B, Ager E, Corpuz M, Frech G, et al. Automated detection of toxigenic Clostridium difficile in clinical samples: isothermal tcdB amplification coupled to array-based detection. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:2681-7 pubmed publisher..Large-scale clinical studies are now planned to determine clinical sensitivity and specificity. ..
- Saayman S, Lazar D, Scott T, Hart J, Takahashi M, Burnett J, et al. Potent and Targeted Activation of Latent HIV-1 Using the CRISPR/dCas9 Activator Complex. Mol Ther. 2016;24:488-98 pubmed publisher..CRISPR-mediated gene activation represents a novel system which provides enhanced efficiency and specificity in a targeted latency reactivation strategy and represents a promising approach to a "functional cure" of HIV/AIDS. ..
- Georgopoulos C, Ang D. The Escherichia coli groE chaperonins. Semin Cell Biol. 1990;1:19-25 pubmed..The proposed role of the groES chaperonin is to displace the polypeptides bound to groEL, thus effectively promoting the recycling of groEL. ..
- Wimberly B, White S, Ramakrishnan V. The structure of ribosomal protein S7 at 1.9 A resolution reveals a beta-hairpin motif that binds double-stranded nucleic acids. Structure. 1997;5:1187-98 pubmed..The residues in S7 loop 2 that belong to the second putative RNA-binding site may have a role analogous to the N-terminal residues of IHF/HU which grip an unbent portion of double helix...
- Paul K, Harmon J, Blair D. Mutational analysis of the flagellar rotor protein FliN: identification of surfaces important for flagellar assembly and switching. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:5240-8 pubmed..The results indicate that FliN is more closely involved in switching than has been supposed, possibly contributing to the binding site for CheY on the switch. ..
- Mabanglo M, Serohijos A, Poulter C. The Streptomyces-produced antibiotic fosfomycin is a promiscuous substrate for archaeal isopentenyl phosphate kinase. Biochemistry. 2012;51:917-25 pubmed publisher..The other binding pose leads to a dead-end complex that engages K204 near the IP binding site to bind fosfomycin. Our findings suggest a mechanism for acquisition of FomA-based antibiotic resistance in fosfomycin-producing organisms. ..
- Zhu N, Roth J. The nadI region of Salmonella typhimurium encodes a bifunctional regulatory protein. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1302-10 pubmed
- Larsen B, Gesteland R, Atkins J. Structural probing and mutagenic analysis of the stem-loop required for Escherichia coli dnaX ribosomal frameshifting: programmed efficiency of 50%. J Mol Biol. 1997;271:47-60 pubmed..The calculated stabilities of the variant stem-loop structures correlate with frameshifting efficiency. The SD-interaction and the stem-loop element act independently to increase frameshifting in dnaX. ..
- Studdert C, Parkinson J. Crosslinking snapshots of bacterial chemoreceptor squads. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:2117-22 pubmed..Crosslinking in receptor trimer contact mutants correlated with their signaling behaviors, suggesting that trimers of dimers are both structural and functional precursors of chemoreceptor signaling teams in bacteria. ..
- Chevance F, Karlinsey J, Wozniak C, Hughes K. A little gene with big effects: a serT mutant is defective in flgM gene translation. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:297-304 pubmed publisher..The flgM gene contains only one UCA codon. Changing the UCA of flgM to ACG reversed the effect of the serT allele. Implications for context effects in regulation of gene expression are discussed...
- Chevance F, Takahashi N, Karlinsey J, Gnerer J, Hirano T, Samudrala R, et al. The mechanism of outer membrane penetration by the eubacterial flagellum and implications for spirochete evolution. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2326-35 pubmed
- Erhardt M, Hughes K. C-ring requirement in flagellar type III secretion is bypassed by FlhDC upregulation. Mol Microbiol. 2010;75:376-93 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the C-ring functions as a nonessential affinity cup-like structure during flagellar type III secretion to enhance the specificity and efficiency of the secretion process. ..
- Simmon K, Brown Elliott B, Ridge P, Durtschi J, Mann L, Slechta E, et al. Mycobacterium chelonae-abscessus complex associated with sinopulmonary disease, Northeastern USA. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1692-700 pubmed publisher..Because most isolates originated in Pennsylvania, we propose the name M. franklinii sp. nov. This investigation underscores the need for accurate identification of Mycobacterium spp. to detect new pathogens implicated in human disease...
- Pontes M, Smith K, De Vooght L, Van den Abbeele J, Dale C. Attenuation of the sensing capabilities of PhoQ in transition to obligate insect-bacterial association. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002349 pubmed publisher..The loss of PhoQ's sensory capability is predicted to represent a novel adaptation to the static symbiotic lifestyle, allowing S. glossinidius to constitutively express genes that facilitate resistance to host derived AMPs. ..
- Casjens S, Mongodin E, Qiu W, Luft B, Schutzer S, Gilcrease E, et al. Genome stability of Lyme disease spirochetes: comparative genomics of Borrelia burgdorferi plasmids. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33280 pubmed publisher..In spite of these rearrangements and differences in plasmid contents, the overall gene complement of the different isolates has remained relatively constant...
- Kwan J, Donia M, Han A, Hirose E, Haygood M, Schmidt E. Genome streamlining and chemical defense in a coral reef symbiosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:20655-60 pubmed publisher..The preservation of this pathway in streamlined bacteria demonstrates that secondary metabolism is an essential component of the symbiotic interaction...
- Sackerson C. Patterns of conservation and divergence at the even-skipped locus of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1995;51:199-215 pubmed..Also, the basal promoter has diverged extensively, indicating evolutionary flexibility of promoter function. ..
- Karow M, Georgopoulos C. The essential Escherichia coli msbA gene, a multicopy suppressor of null mutations in the htrB gene, is related to the universally conserved family of ATP-dependent translocators. Mol Microbiol. 1993;7:69-79 pubmed..Mutational analysis of msbA indicates that it may form an operon with a downstream gene, orfE, and that both of these genes are essential for bacterial viability under all growth conditions tested...
- Braun T, Poulson S, Gully J, Empey J, Van Way S, Putnam A, et al. Function of proline residues of MotA in torque generation by the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:3542-51 pubmed..We propose a mechanism for torque generation, in which specific functions are suggested for the proline residues of MotA and Asp32 of MotB. ..
- Lee H, Hughes K. Posttranscriptional control of the Salmonella enterica flagellar hook protein FlgE. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:3308-16 pubmed publisher..Using this assay, we found that the effect of rod assembly mutants on FlgE levels was due to FlgE turnover in the periplasm and that the FliE rod component protein was required for efficient FlgE-Bla secretion...
- Sarkar M, Paul K, Blair D. Subunit organization and reversal-associated movements in the flagellar switch of Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:675-84 pubmed publisher..These results are discussed in the framework of a structurally grounded hypothesis for the switching mechanism. ..
- Ang D, Georgopoulos C. An ORFan no more: the bacteriophage T4 39.2 gene product, NwgI, modulates GroEL chaperone function. Genetics. 2012;190:989-1000 pubmed publisher..2 deletion strain and showed that, unlike the isogenic wild-type parent, it is incapable of propagating on certain groEL mutant hosts. We propose a model of how Gp39.2 modulates GroES/GroEL function. ..
- Ao W, Aldous S, Woodruff E, Hicke B, Rea L, Kreiswirth B, et al. Rapid detection of rpoB gene mutations conferring rifampin resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:2433-40 pubmed publisher..2%). This test is being configured in a low-cost test platform to provide rapid diagnosis and drug susceptibility information for TB in the point-of-care setting in the developing world, where the need is acute. ..
- Wimberly B, Guymon R, McCutcheon J, White S, Ramakrishnan V. A detailed view of a ribosomal active site: the structure of the L11-RNA complex. Cell. 1999;97:491-502 pubmed..These antibiotics are proposed to bind in this cleft, locking the putative switch and interfering with the function of elongation factors...
- Kofoid E, Rappleye C, Stojiljkovic I, Roth J. The 17-gene ethanolamine (eut) operon of Salmonella typhimurium encodes five homologues of carboxysome shell proteins. J Bacteriol. 1999;181:5317-29 pubmed..The presence of these homologues in the eut operon of Salmonella suggests that CO2 fixation may be a feature of ethanolamine catabolism in Salmonella...
- Brown K, Allan B, Do P, Hegg E. Identification of novel hemes generated by heme A synthase: evidence for two successive monooxygenase reactions. Biochemistry. 2002;41:10906-13 pubmed..Because we have shown that all hemes produced by heme A synthase require O(2) for their synthesis, we propose that heme A synthase catalyzes the oxidation of the C8 methyl to an aldehyde group via two discrete monooxygenase reactions. ..
- Chun S, Parkinson J. Bacterial motility: membrane topology of the Escherichia coli MotB protein. Science. 1988;239:276-8 pubmed..Protease treatment of MotB in spheroplasts confirmed this view. The simple transmembrane organization of MotB is difficult to reconcile with a role as a proton conductor. ..
- Tang H, Braun T, Blair D. Motility protein complexes in the bacterial flagellar motor. J Mol Biol. 1996;261:209-21 pubmed..Torque generation in the flagellar motor is thus likely to involve interactions between these two protein complexes. ..
- Braun T, Blair D. Targeted disulfide cross-linking of the MotB protein of Escherichia coli: evidence for two H(+) channels in the stator Complex. Biochemistry. 2001;40:13051-9 pubmed..Positions near the middle of the segment were inaccessible to sulhydryl reagents. Positions within 6-8 residues of either end, which includes residues around Asp32, were accessible. ..
- Cessna M, Zhou H, Sanger W, Perkins S, Tripp S, Pickering D, et al. Expression of ALK1 and p80 in inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor and its mesenchymal mimics: a study of 135 cases. Mod Pathol. 2002;15:931-8 pubmed..In IMT, immunohistochemistry for ALK1 and p80 is useful as an indicator of a 2p23 abnormality, but it must be interpreted in the context of histologic and other clinicopathologic data if used as an adjunct to differential diagnosis...
- Rothman S, Helm T, Poulter C. Kinetic and spectroscopic characterization of type II isopentenyl diphosphate isomerase from Thermus thermophilus: evidence for formation of substrate-induced flavin species. Biochemistry. 2007;46:5437-45 pubmed..Redox potentials of IPP-bound enzyme indicate that the neutral semiquinone state of the flavin is stabilized thermodynamically relative to free FMN in solution. ..
- Mowery P, Ostler J, Parkinson J. Different signaling roles of two conserved residues in the cytoplasmic hairpin tip of Tsr, the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:8065-74 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that the receptor determinants for CheA and CheW binding probably lie outside the hairpin tip of the receptor signaling domain. ..
- Nishiyama S, Garz n A, Parkinson J. Mutational analysis of the P1 phosphorylation domain in Escherichia coli CheA, the signaling kinase for chemotaxis. J Bacteriol. 2014;196:257-64 pubmed publisher..However, once phosphorylated, the mutant P1 domains transferred phosphate to CheY at the wild-type rate. Thus, these P1 mutants appear to define interaction determinants for P1-P4 docking during the CheA autophosphorylation reaction...
- Wall D, Delaney J, Fayet O, Lipinska B, Yamamoto T, Georgopoulos C. arc-dependent thermal regulation and extragenic suppression of the Escherichia coli cytochrome d operon. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:6554-62 pubmed..Consistent with this interpretation, the presence of the cyo gene on a multicopy plasmid suppressed the Ts- and hydrogen peroxide-sensitive phenotypes of cyd mutants. ..
- Raina S, Mabey L, Georgopoulos C. The Escherichia coli htrP gene product is essential for bacterial growth at high temperatures: mapping, cloning, sequencing, and transcriptional regulation of htrP. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:5999-6008 pubmed..Despite the fact that the htrP gene is essential for E. coli growth exclusively at high temperatures, the levels of htrP-specific transcripts decrease with increasing temperature. ..
- Vuyisich M, Beal P. Controlling protein activity with ligand-regulated RNA aptamers. Chem Biol. 2002;9:907-13 pubmed..Importantly, Fpg activity is recovered by the addition of neomycin. We envision these ligand-regulated aptamers (LIRAs) as valuable tools in the study of biological phenomena in which the timing of molecular events is critical. ..
- Rosu V, Hughes K. sigma28-dependent transcription in Salmonella enterica is independent of flagellar shearing. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:5196-203 pubmed..Regardless of exposure to shear forces, flagellar class 3 transcription rose sharply and then declined. These results demonstrate that flagellar regrowth following shearing is independent of FlgM secretion. ..
- McIntosh J, Schmidt E. Marine molecular machines: heterocyclization in cyanobactin biosynthesis. Chembiochem. 2010;11:1413-21 pubmed publisher..The cyanobactin pathway enzymes, PatD and TruD, are thiazoline and oxazoline synthetases. ..
- Paul K, Gonzalez Bonet G, Bilwes A, Crane B, Blair D. Architecture of the flagellar rotor. EMBO J. 2011;30:2962-71 pubmed publisher..Recently proposed alternative models of rotor assembly, based on a subunit contact observed in crystals, are not supported by experiment. ..
- Fisher M, Stamper P, Hujer K, Love Z, Croft A, Cohen S, et al. Performance of the Phoenix bacterial identification system compared with disc diffusion methods for identifying extended-spectrum beta-lactamase, AmpC and KPC producers. J Med Microbiol. 2009;58:774-8 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results indicate that laboratories should use the Phoenix ESBL results only as an initial screen followed by confirmation with an alternative method. ..
- Han X, Parkinson J. An unorthodox sensory adaptation site in the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 2014;196:641-9 pubmed publisher..These findings are consistent with control of input-output signaling in Tsr through dynamic interplay of the structural stabilities of the HAMP and methylation bundles. ..
- Sanatinia H, Kofoid E, Morrison T, Parkinson J. The smaller of two overlapping cheA gene products is not essential for chemotaxis in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:2713-20 pubmed..The lack of any substantive defect in this start(S) mutant argues that CheAS makes a negligible contribution to chemotactic ability in the laboratory. Whether it has functional significance in other settings remains to be seen. ..
- Webster A, Litwin C. Cloning and characterization of vuuA, a gene encoding the Vibrio vulnificus ferric vulnibactin receptor. Infect Immun. 2000;68:526-34 pubmed..Introduction of a plasmid containing the complete viuA coding sequence and 342 bp of upstream DNA into the mutant restored ferric vulnibactin and ferric transferrin utilization to the mutant. ..
- Litwin C, Johnson J. Identification, cloning, and expression of the CAMP-like factor autotransporter gene (cfa) of Bartonella henselae. Infect Immun. 2005;73:4205-13 pubmed..In conclusion, we have characterized a novel secreted cohemolysin autotransporter protein of B. henselae. ..
- Ames P, Parkinson J. Constitutively signaling fragments of Tsr, the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:6340-8 pubmed..The correlation between the in vitro effects of Tsr signaling fragments on CheA activity and their in vivo behavioral effects lends convincing support to the phosphorelay model of chemotactic signaling. ..
- Huang W, Dagloria J, Fox H, Ruan Q, Tillou J, Shi K, et al. Linear chromosome-generating system of Agrobacterium tumefaciens C58: protelomerase generates and protects hairpin ends. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:25551-63 pubmed publisher..The biochemical analyses of the protelomerase reactions further revealed that the tip of the hairpin telomere may be unusually polymorphically capable of accommodating any nucleotide. ..
- Raina S, Missiakas D, Baird L, Kumar S, Georgopoulos C. Identification and transcriptional analysis of the Escherichia coli htrE operon which is homologous to pap and related pilin operons. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:5009-21 pubmed
- Lloyd S, Tang H, Wang X, Billings S, Blair D. Torque generation in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli: evidence of a direct role for FliG but not for FliM or FliN. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:223-31 pubmed..We suggest that the carboxyl-terminal domain of FliG functions specifically in torque generation, forming the rotor portion of the site of energy transduction in the flagellar motor. ..
- Brown P, Mathews M, Joss L, Hill C, Blair D. Crystal structure of the flagellar rotor protein FliN from Thermotoga maritima. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:2890-902 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the present data and available electron microscopic images, we propose a model for the organization of FliN subunits in the C ring...
- Marsh M, Hillyard D. Nucleotide sequence of the HU-1 gene of Salmonella typhimurium. Nucleic Acids Res. 1988;16:7196 pubmed
- Zhou J, Fazzio R, Blair D. Membrane topology of the MotA protein of Escherichia coli. J Mol Biol. 1995;251:237-42 pubmed..These experiments establish that the main features of the suggested model for MotA topology are correct, furnishing a basis for more detailed structure-function studies of the MotA/MotB proton channel...
- Delaney J, Wall D, Georgopoulos C. Molecular characterization of the Escherichia coli htrD gene: cloning, sequence, regulation, and involvement with cytochrome d oxidase. J Bacteriol. 1993;175:166-75 pubmed..In agreement with this conclusion, htrD mutant bacteria are unable to oxidize the cytochrome d-specific electron donor N,N,N',N'-tetramethyl-p-phenylenediamine...
- Kasten M, Dorland S, Stillman D. A large protein complex containing the yeast Sin3p and Rpd3p transcriptional regulators. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:4852-8 pubmed..We show that Rpd3p is present in the Sin3p complex and that an rpd3 mutation eliminates SIN3-dependent repression. Thus, Sin3p may function as a bridge to recruit the Rpd3p histone deacetylase to specific promoters. ..
- Zhou J, Sharp L, Tang H, Lloyd S, Billings S, Braun T, et al. Function of protonatable residues in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli: a critical role for Asp 32 of MotB. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:2729-35 pubmed..We propose that Asp 32 of MotB functions as a proton-binding site in the bacterial flagellar motor and that no other conserved, protonatable residues function in this capacity. ..
- Parkinson J. Bacterial chemotaxis: a new player in response regulator dephosphorylation. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:1492-4 pubmed
- Lherbet C, Pojer F, Richard S, Noel J, Poulter C. Absence of substrate channeling between active sites in the Agrobacterium tumefaciens IspDF and IspE enzymes of the methyl erythritol phosphate pathway. Biochemistry. 2006;45:3548-53 pubmed publisher..The time dependencies indicate that the enzyme-generated intermediates are not transferred from the IspD active site in IspDF to the active site of IspE or from the active site in IspE to the active site of the IspF module of IspDF...
- Zhou Q, Ames P, Parkinson J. Mutational analyses of HAMP helices suggest a dynamic bundle model of input-output signalling in chemoreceptors. Mol Microbiol. 2009;73:801-14 pubmed publisher..This study shows how transmembrane signalling and HAMP input-output control could occur without the helix rotations central to the gearbox model. ..
- Gosink K, Zhao Y, Parkinson J. Mutational analysis of N381, a key trimer contact residue in Tsr, the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:6452-60 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that trimer dynamics probably are important for ternary complex assembly and that N381 may not be a direct binding determinant for CheW/CheA at the trimer periphery. ..
- Lawrence J, Roth J. The cobalamin (coenzyme B12) biosynthetic genes of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6371-80 pubmed..The cob operon of E. coli may be related to cobalamin synthetic genes now found among non-Salmonella enteric bacteria. ..
- Kaltenbach L, Braaten B, Low D. Specific binding of PapI to Lrp-pap DNA complexes. J Bacteriol. 1995;177:6449-55 pubmed..On the basis of these data, we present a hypothesis in which PapI facilitates the transition between OFF and ON transcription states by binding to Lrp and altering Lrp's affinity for the pap GATC-I and GATC-II regions. ..
- Lloyd S, Whitby F, Blair D, Hill C. Structure of the C-terminal domain of FliG, a component of the rotor in the bacterial flagellar motor. Nature. 1999;400:472-5 pubmed publisher..On the basis of the disposition of these residues, we present a hypothesis for the orientation of FliG-C domains in the flagellar motor, and propose a structural model for the part of the rotor that interacts with the stator...
- Bibikov S, Barnes L, Gitin Y, Parkinson J. Domain organization and flavin adenine dinucleotide-binding determinants in the aerotaxis signal transducer Aer of Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5830-5 pubmed..One or both regions probably also play important roles in transmitting stimulus-induced conformational changes to the C-terminal flagellar signaling domain to trigger aerotactic behavioral responses. ..
- Kojima S, Blair D. Solubilization and purification of the MotA/MotB complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:26-34 pubmed..35)S-radiolabeling showed that MotA and MotB are present in a 2:1 ratio in the complex. Purified MotA/MotB complexes should enable in vitro study of the proton-induced conformational change and other aspects of stator function. ..
- Studdert C, Parkinson J. Insights into the organization and dynamics of bacterial chemoreceptor clusters through in vivo crosslinking studies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15623-8 pubmed..Moreover, once complete signaling teams have formed, they no longer undergo dynamic exchange of receptor members. ..
- Paul K, Blair D. Organization of FliN subunits in the flagellar motor of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:2502-11 pubmed..Electron microscopic reconstructions show a bulge at the bottom of the C-ring whose size and shape are a close match for the hypothesized FliN tetramer. ..
- Ames P, Parkinson J. Conformational suppression of inter-receptor signaling defects. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:9292-7 pubmed..These collaborative teams may be responsible for the high-gain signaling properties of bacterial chemoreceptors. ..
- Kofoid E, Parkinson J. Tandem translation starts in the cheA locus of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:2116-9 pubmed..Both starts are flanked by inverted repeats that may play a role in regulating the relative expression rates of the CheA proteins through alternative mRNA secondary structures. ..
- Price Carter M, Tingey J, Bobik T, Roth J. The alternative electron acceptor tetrathionate supports B12-dependent anaerobic growth of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium on ethanolamine or 1,2-propanediol. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:2463-75 pubmed..coli. In diverging from E. coli, Salmonella acquired some of these genes unilaterally and maintained others that are ancestral but have been lost from the E. coli lineage...
- Eubanks L, Poulter C. Rhodobacter capsulatus 1-deoxy-D-xylulose 5-phosphate synthase: steady-state kinetics and substrate binding. Biochemistry. 2003;42:1140-9 pubmed..These results are consistent with an ordered mechanism for DXP synthase where pyruvate binds before GAP/d-glyceraldehyde...
- Braun T, Al Mawsawi L, Kojima S, Blair D. Arrangement of core membrane segments in the MotA/MotB proton-channel complex of Escherichia coli. Biochemistry. 2004;43:35-45 pubmed
- Grose J, Bergthorsson U, Xu Y, Sterneckert J, Khodaverdian B, Roth J. Assimilation of nicotinamide mononucleotide requires periplasmic AphA phosphatase in Salmonella enterica. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:4521-30 pubmed..Internal NMN produced by either route 2 or route 3 is deamidated to nicotinic acid mononucleotide and converted to NAD by the biosynthetic enzymes NadD and NadE. ..
- Aldridge P, Karlinsey J, Becker E, Chevance F, Hughes K. Flk prevents premature secretion of the anti-sigma factor FlgM into the periplasm. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:630-43 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Flk inhibits FlgM secretion by acting as a braking system for the flagellar-associated type III secretion system. A model is presented to explain a role for Flk in flagellar assembly and gene regulatory processes...
- Hirano T, Mizuno S, Aizawa S, Hughes K. Mutations in flk, flgG, flhA, and flhE that affect the flagellar type III secretion specificity switch in Salmonella enterica. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:3938-49 pubmed publisher..Unexpectedly, when deletions of either flgE or flgD were introduced into flgG* mutant strains, filaments were able to grow directly on the filamentous rod structures...
- Zhou Q, Ames P, Parkinson J. Biphasic control logic of HAMP domain signalling in the Escherichia coli serine chemoreceptor. Mol Microbiol. 2011;80:596-611 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study provide strong support for a three-state dynamic bundle model of HAMP signalling in Tsr, and possibly in other bacterial transducers as well. ..
- Donovan G, Norton J, Bower J, Mulvey M. Adenylate cyclase and the cyclic AMP receptor protein modulate stress resistance and virulence capacity of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2013;81:249-58 pubmed publisher..We conclude that balanced input from many cAMP-CRP-responsive elements, including RpoS, is critical to the ability of UPEC to handle the nutrient limitations and severe environmental stresses present within the mammalian urinary tract...
- Debnath I, Norton J, Barber A, Ott E, Dhakal B, Kulesus R, et al. The Cpx stress response system potentiates the fitness and virulence of uropathogenic Escherichia coli. Infect Immun. 2013;81:1450-9 pubmed publisher..Results obtained with the cpxP deletion mutants were more complicated, indicating variable strain-dependent and niche-specific requirements for this well-conserved auxiliary factor. ..
- Zhu N, Olivera B, Roth J. Activity of the nicotinamide mononucleotide transport system is regulated in Salmonella typhimurium. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:1311-20 pubmed..Bacteriol. 172:4187-4196]). The nadI protein regulates transcription of the nadA and nadB biosynthetic genes and modulates activity of the NMN permease; both regulatory activities respond to the internal pyridine nucleotide level. ..