Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aging in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
- Muram Zborovski T, Stevenson D, Viskochil D, Dries D, Wilson A, Rong Mao -. SPRED 1 mutations in a neurofibromatosis clinic. J Child Neurol. 2010;25:1203-9 pubmed publisher..The likelihood an individual is harboring a SPRED1 mutation increases with age if multiple, nonpigmentary NF1 findings are absent. Legius syndrome patients may benefit from altered medical surveillance. ..
- Pinilla I, Lund R, Sauve Y. Enhanced cone dysfunction in rats homozygous for the P23H rhodopsin mutation. Neurosci Lett. 2005;382:16-21 pubmed..Both undergo a biphasic temporal pattern of decline: very rapid (P21-P60) followed by very slow (P60-P200) deterioration in response parameters, implying a tight link between rod and cone functional deterioration. ..
- Miller C, Gounder S, Kannan S, Goutam K, Muthusamy V, Firpo M, et al. Disruption of Nrf2/ARE signaling impairs antioxidant mechanisms and promotes cell degradation pathways in aged skeletal muscle. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1822:1038-50 pubmed publisher..Thus, Nrf2 signaling might be a potential therapeutic target to protect the SM from age-dependent accumulation of ROS by rescuing redox homeostasis to prevent age-related muscle disorders such as sarcopenia and myopathy. ..
- Phu J, Khuu S, Nivison Smith L, Zangerl B, Choi A, Jones B, et al. Pattern Recognition Analysis Reveals Unique Contrast Sensitivity Isocontours Using Static Perimetry Thresholds Across the Visual Field. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4863-4876 pubmed publisher..We compared these CSIs with test point clusters used by the Glaucoma Hemifield Test (GHT)...
- Baserga M, Hale M, Wang Z, Yu X, Callaway C, McKnight R, et al. Uteroplacental insufficiency alters nephrogenesis and downregulates cyclooxygenase-2 expression in a model of IUGR with adult-onset hypertension. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2007;292:R1943-55 pubmed..We conclude that in our animal model, UPI decreases fetal COX-2 expression during a period of active nephrogenesis in the IUGR rat, which is also characterized by decreased nephron number and adult-onset hypertension. ..
- Addison O, LaStayo P, Dibble L, Marcus R. Inflammation, aging, and adiposity: implications for physical therapists. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2012;35:86-94 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing an anti-inflammatory environment within muscle to mitigate the effects of chronic inflammation, exercise has the added benefit of improving muscle mass and function and decreasing adiposity in older adults. ..
- Zhang T, Ding X, Daynes R. The expression of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type I by lymphocytes provides a novel means for intracrine regulation of glucocorticoid activities. J Immunol. 2005;174:879-89 pubmed..Thus, the presence of 11beta-HSD1 provides an additional means to facilitate GCS influences over lymphocyte activities, uncoupled from the plasma concentration of GCS. ..
- Jones B, Watt C, Frederick J, Baehr W, Chen C, Levine E, et al. Retinal remodeling triggered by photoreceptor degenerations. J Comp Neurol. 2003;464:1-16 pubmed..Although remodeling may constrain therapeutic intervals for molecular, cellular, or bionic rescue, it suggests that the neural retina may be more plastic than previously believed. ..
- Ajioka R, Levy J, Andrews N, Kushner J. Regulation of iron absorption in Hfe mutant mice. Blood. 2002;100:1465-9 pubmed..Our data indicate that Hfe mutant mice retain the ability to regulate iron absorption. Mouse hemachromatosis protein (Hfe) plays a minor role in down-regulation but does not influence the up-regulation of iron absorption. ..
- Li J, Chow S. Subcellular distribution of carbonic anhydrase and Na+,K(+)-ATPase in the brain of the hyt/hyt hypothyroid mice. Neurochem Res. 1994;19:83-8 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- White M, Roden R, Minobe W, Khan M, Larrabee P, Wollmering M, et al. Age-related changes in beta-adrenergic neuroeffector systems in the human heart. Circulation. 1994;90:1225-38 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to comprehensively evaluate the age-related changes in the beta-receptor-G protein-adenylyl cyclase complex in nonfailing human hearts...
- Jenkins T, Aston K, Cairns B, Carrell D. Paternal aging and associated intraindividual alterations of global sperm 5-methylcytosine and 5-hydroxymethylcytosine levels. Fertil Steril. 2013;100:945-51 pubmed publisher..Additionally, as we would predict for a transcriptionally quiescent cell type, 5-hmC levels are statistically significantly lower in human sperm than in blood DNA. ..
- Cassidy T, RICHARDS L, Eakman A. Feasibility of a Lifestyle RedesignÂ®-Inspired Intervention for Well Older Adults. Am J Occup Ther. 2017;71:7104190050p1-7104190050p6 pubmed publisher..Perceived benefits were social relationships, awareness of community resources, and change in attitude toward aging. Implementation of a 3-mo Lifestyle Redesign-inspired program within a health care system was feasible. ..
- Huang J, Tabbi Anneni I, Gunda V, Wang L. Transcription factor Nrf2 regulates SHP and lipogenic gene expression in hepatic lipid metabolism. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G1211-21 pubmed publisher..These findings provide evidence for a role of Nrf2 in the modulation of hepatic lipid homeostasis through transcriptional activation of SHP and lipogenic gene expression. ..
- Hunt S, Chen W, Gardner J, Kimura M, Srinivasan S, Eckfeldt J, et al. Leukocyte telomeres are longer in African Americans than in whites: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Family Heart Study and the Bogalusa Heart Study. Aging Cell. 2008;7:451-8 pubmed publisher..029 kb year(-1) vs. 0.020 kb year(-1), respectively, p = 0.0001). We suggest that racial difference in LTL arises from a host of interacting biological factors, including replication rates of hematopoietic stem cells. ..
- Bell R, Hubbard A, Chettier R, Chen D, Miller J, Kapahi P, et al. A human protein interaction network shows conservation of aging processes between human and invertebrate species. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000414 pubmed publisher..They also indicate that the longevity protein interaction network presented here is enriched for novel conserved longevity proteins. ..
- Patel S, Rowe M, Winters S, Ohls R. Elevated erythropoietin mRNA and protein concentrations in the developing human eye. Pediatr Res. 2008;63:394-7 pubmed publisher..Epo mRNA and protein concentrations increase with increasing gestational age and are greater in the vitreous than serum. We speculate that changes in Epo production following preterm delivery might affect retinal vascular development. ..
- Thibeault S, Glade R, Li W. Comparison of telomere length of vocal folds with different tissues: a physiological measurement of vocal senescence. J Voice. 2006;20:165-70 pubmed..05, R2 = 0.624). Our findings indicate that surrogate tissue for measurement of telomere length of TVF includes FVF, bone marrow, skin, and aorta. These findings have implications for understanding vocal fold aging at the cellular level. ..
- Yost C, Cody M, Harris E, Thornton N, McInturff A, Martinez M, et al. Impaired neutrophil extracellular trap (NET) formation: a novel innate immune deficiency of human neonates. Blood. 2009;113:6419-27 pubmed publisher..Impaired NET formation may be a critical facet of a common developmental immunodeficiency that predisposes newborn infants to infection. ..
- Kerber R, O Brien E, Cawthon R. Gene expression profiles associated with aging and mortality in humans. Aging Cell. 2009;8:239-50 pubmed publisher..These observations may lead to new insights regarding the genetic contribution to exceptional longevity. ..
- Godwin A, Stadler H, Nakamura K, Capecchi M. Detection of targeted GFP-Hox gene fusions during mouse embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13042-7 pubmed..GFP expression in the foregut pocket of Hoxa1(GFPneo) embryos suggests a role for Hoxa1 in foregut-mediated differentiation of the cardiogenic mesoderm. ..
- Yang Z, Camp N, Sun H, Tong Z, Gibbs D, Cameron D, et al. A variant of the HTRA1 gene increases susceptibility to age-related macular degeneration. Science. 2006;314:992-3 pubmed..We also found that drusen in the eyes of AMD patients were strongly immunolabeled with HTRA1 antibody. Together, these findings support a key role for HTRA1 in AMD susceptibility and identify a potential new pathway for AMD pathogenesis...
- Mohebali D, Kaplan D, Carlisle M, Supiano M, Rondina M. Alterations in platelet function during aging: clinical correlations with thromboinflammatory disease in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2014;62:529-35 pubmed publisher..Established and developing antiplatelet therapies for the treatment of thrombotic and inflammatory disorders are also discussed in light of these data. ..
- Zirpel L, Janowiak M, Taylor D, Parks T. Developmental changes in metabotropic glutamate receptor-mediated calcium homeostasis. J Comp Neurol. 2000;421:95-106 pubmed..These results suggest that the mGluR-mediated calcium homeostasis of NM neurons develops in parallel with synaptic activity and appears to be refined with increasing synaptic activity. ..
- Wright S, Bennett D. Avian retroviral recombinant expressing foreign envelope delays tumour formation of ASV-A-induced sarcoma. Vaccine. 1992;10:375-8 pubmed..The mechanism of protection does not appear to be interference mediated, since virus was not detected in the chickens. Protection was correlated with both neutralizing and complement-dependent cytotoxic antibodies (CDCA)...
- Holbrook S, Ohls R, Schibler K, Yang Y, Christensen R. Effect of interleukin-9 on clonogenic maturation and cell-cycle status of fetal and adult hematopoietic progenitors. Blood. 1991;77:2129-34 pubmed..In contrast, IL-9 had a wider spectrum of action on fetal progenitors and, when combined with IL-3 and GM-CSF, resulted in clonogenic maturation of progenitors that did not undergo maturation after stimulation with IL-3 and GM-CSF. ..
- Poynter M, Daynes R. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha activation modulates cellular redox status, represses nuclear factor-kappaB signaling, and reduces inflammatory cytokine production in aging. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:32833-41 pubmed..Our results suggest that PPARalpha and the genes under its control play a role in the evolution of oxidative stress excesses observed in aging. ..
- Enioutina E, Bareyan D, Daynes R. A role for immature myeloid cells in immune senescence. J Immunol. 2011;186:697-707 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that abnormal activities of the Gr1(+)CD11b(+) myeloid cell population from aged mice could play a significant role in the mechanisms responsible for immune senescence. ..
- Pulsipher M, Young N, Tolar J, Risitano A, Deeg H, Anderlini P, et al. Optimization of therapy for severe aplastic anemia based on clinical, biologic, and treatment response parameters: conclusions of an international working group on severe aplastic anemia convened by the Blood and Marrow Transplant Clinical Trials Net. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011;17:291-9 pubmed publisher..Collaboration with similar study groups in Europe and Asia will be pursued. ..
- Kozlova T, Lam G, Thummel C. Drosophila DHR38 nuclear receptor is required for adult cuticle integrity at eclosion. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:701-7 pubmed publisher..In contrast, cuticle gene expression is significantly reduced in DHR38(Y214) mutant pupae. These studies define the essential functions of DHR38 and provide a genetic context for further characterization of its roles during development. ..
- Riehle C, Wende A, Zaha V, Pires K, Wayment B, Olsen C, et al. PGC-1? deficiency accelerates the transition to heart failure in pressure overload hypertrophy. Circ Res. 2011;109:783-93 pubmed publisher..PGC-1? plays an important role in maintaining baseline mitochondrial function and cardiac contractile function following pressure overload hypertrophy by preserving glucose metabolism and preventing oxidative stress. ..
- Wang H, Wittchen E, Jiang Y, Ambati B, Grossniklaus H, Hartnett M. Upregulation of CCR3 by age-related stresses promotes choroidal endothelial cell migration via VEGF-dependent and -independent signaling. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:8271-7 pubmed publisher..Cross-talk between CCR3 and VEGF signaling exists and may be important in choroidal neovascularization in human age-related macular degeneration. ..
- Swoboda K, Prior T, Scott C, McNaught T, Wride M, Reyna S, et al. Natural history of denervation in SMA: relation to age, SMN2 copy number, and function. Ann Neurol. 2005;57:704-12 pubmed..These data highlight the potential value of such measures in increasing our understanding of pathophysiological factors involved in denervation in SMA. ..
- Daynes R, Enioutina E, Jones D. Role of redox imbalance in the molecular mechanisms responsible for immunosenescence. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2003;5:537-48 pubmed
- Greer J, Capecchi M. Hoxb8 is required for normal grooming behavior in mice. Neuron. 2002;33:23-34 pubmed..The aberrant behavior observed in Hoxb8 mutants is not unlike that of humans suffering from the OC-spectrum disorder, trichotillomania. Interestingly, Hoxb8 is expressed in regions of the CNS known as the "OCD-circuit." ..
- Wang L, Becker J, Wu Q, Oliveira M, Bozza F, Schwager A, et al. Bioimaging of copper alterations in the aging mouse brain by autoradiography, laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry and immunohistochemistry. Metallomics. 2010;2:348-53 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates the importance of a multi-modality approach in studying the biodistribution and homeostasis of Cu in the brain. ..
- Werner L, Jia G, Sussman G, Maddula S, Ness P, Davis D, et al. Mechanized model to assess capsulorhexis resistance to tearing. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010;36:1954-9 pubmed publisher..This force-displacement method may facilitate assessment of small differences between anterior capsulotomy techniques. ..
- Benjamin I, Guo Y, Srinivasan S, Boudina S, Taylor R, Rajasekaran N, et al. CRYAB and HSPB2 deficiency alters cardiac metabolism and paradoxically confers protection against myocardial ischemia in aging mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;293:H3201-9 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these disparate results in the context of phenotypic responses reported for CRYAB/HSPB2-deficient mice to different ischemic challenges. ..
- Debnath I, Roundy K, Weis J, Weis J. Analysis of the regulatory role of BAFF in controlling the expression of CD21 and CD23. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2388-99 pubmed
- Spencer N, Poynter M, Im S, Daynes R. Constitutive activation of NF-kappa B in an animal model of aging. Int Immunol. 1997;9:1581-8 pubmed..Effective therapeutic regimens for aging and other inflammatory disease states might benefit from the administration of antioxidants or other agents which specifically activate PPAR-alpha. ..