Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Publications289 found, 100 shown here
- Bleyl S, Mumford B, Brown Harrison M, Pagotto L, Carey J, Pysher T, et al. Xq28-linked noncompaction of the left ventricular myocardium: prenatal diagnosis and pathologic analysis of affected individuals. Am J Med Genet. 1997;72:257-65 pubmed..Genetic linkage analysis has localized INVM to the Xq28 region, where other myopathies with cardiac involvement have been located. ..
- Miller T, Stevens E, Orlandi R. Economic analysis of the treatment of posterior epistaxis. Am J Rhinol. 2005;19:79-82 pubmed..The aim of this study was to compare the economic impact of controlling posterior epistaxis by transnasal endoscopic sphenopalatine artery ligation (TESPAL) and endovascular embolization...
- Bryan N, Swenson J, Greis P, Burks R. Indwelling interscalene catheter use in an outpatient setting for shoulder surgery: technique, efficacy, and complications. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2007;16:388-95 pubmed..7 mg. The average last recorded PACU pain score on a scale of 1 to 10 was 0.6. Catheter placement under real-time ultrasound guidance is accurate. Outpatient use of indwelling interscalene catheters is safe and efficacious. ..
- Cartwright P, Coplen D, Kogan B, Volinn W, Finan E, Hoel G. Efficacy and safety of transdermal and oral oxybutynin in children with neurogenic detrusor overactivity. J Urol. 2009;182:1548-54 pubmed publisher..4) than with oral (6.7) oxybutynin. Transdermal oxybutynin was a well tolerated and effective alternative to oral oxybutynin in treating neurogenic detrusor overactivity in children who previously tolerated oxybutynin. ..
- Woiczik M, D Astous J. Orthopaedic manifestations of Navajo familial neurogenic arthropathy. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010;30:289-95 pubmed publisher..Patients are found to have a myriad of orthopaedic abnormalities, and surgical intervention, while sometimes indicated, can be fraught with complications. Level IV, case series. ..
- Pavlov I, Wilson A, Delgado J. Resampling approach for determination of the method for reference interval calculation in clinical laboratory practice. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:1217-22 pubmed publisher..The resampling approach could help compare different RI calculation methods. An algorithm showing a resampling procedure for choosing the appropriate method for RI calculations is included. ..
- Moskowitz C, Nademanee A, Masszi T, Agura E, Holowiecki J, Abidi M, et al. Brentuximab vedotin as consolidation therapy after autologous stem-cell transplantation in patients with Hodgkin's lymphoma at risk of relapse or progression (AETHERA): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2015;385:1853-62 pubmed publisher..This treatment provides an important therapeutic option for patients undergoing autologous stem-cell transplantation. Seattle Genetics and Takeda Pharmaceuticals International. ..
- Parry J, Swann R, Erickson J, Peters C, Trousdale R, Sierra R. Midterm Outcomes of Reverse (Anteverting) Periacetabular Osteotomy in Patients With Hip Impingement Secondary to Acetabular Retroversion. Am J Sports Med. 2016;44:672-6 pubmed publisher..RPAO performed for FAI in the young patient with isolated acetabular retroversion or retroversion in the setting of dysplasia successfully improved clinical and radiographic results at mid- to long-term follow-up. ..
- Lundblad H, Karlsson Thur C, Maguire G, Jonsson C, Noz M, Zeleznik M, et al. Can Spatiotemporal Fluoride (18F-) Uptake be Used to Assess Bone Formation in the Tibia? A Longitudinal Study Using PET/CT. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2017;475:1486-1498 pubmed publisher..However, semiquantification of 18F- uptake (SUVmaxDPD), SUVmeanDPD) was ambiguous in showing consistency with the bone-healing progress. Level III, diagnostic study. ..
- Nelson A, Huang W, Moody D. Variables in human liver microsome preparation: impact on the kinetics of l-alpha-acetylmethadol (LAAM) n-demethylation and dextromethorphan O-demethylation. Drug Metab Dispos. 2001;29:319-25 pubmed..Variation of the methods used to prepare human liver microsomes can significantly affect the recovery and specific activity of microsomal components; however, they do not appear to affect enzyme kinetics. ..
- Mann N, Pinkney K, Price D, Rowland D, Arthur M, Hedges J, et al. Injury mortality following the loss of air medical support for rural interhospital transport. Acad Emerg Med. 2002;9:694-8 pubmed..05). No difference was noted in the region with continued rotor-wing service [odds ratio (OR) = 0.53, p = 0.47]. Injury mortality increased with loss of air transport for interfacility transfer in a rural area. ..
- Macdonald A, Salzman K, Harnsberger H. Giant ranula of the neck: differentiation from cystic hygroma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2003;24:757-61 pubmed..Our purpose was to review the imaging findings of giant ranula and compare them with those of cystic hygroma to define those features that are helpful in differentiating these different disease entities...
- Esplin M, Romero R, Chaiworapongsa T, Kim Y, Edwin S, Gomez R, et al. Monocyte chemotactic protein-1 is increased in the amniotic fluid of women who deliver preterm in the presence or absence of intra-amniotic infection. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2005;17:365-73 pubmed..These findings suggest that MCP-1 may play a role in preterm labor regardless of the presence of IAI. ..
- Fassett D, Pingree J, Kestle J. The high incidence of tumor dissemination in myxopapillary ependymoma in pediatric patients. Report of five cases and review of the literature. J Neurosurg. 2005;102:59-64 pubmed..In pediatric patients MPEs may spread throughout the CNS via cerebrospinal fluid pathways; therefore, MR imaging of the entire CNS axis is recommended at both presentation and follow-up review to detect tumor dissemination...
- Lyon J, Alder S, Stone M, Scholl A, Reading J, Holubkov R, et al. Thyroid disease associated with exposure to the Nevada nuclear weapons test site radiation: a reevaluation based on corrected dosimetry and examination data. Epidemiology. 2006;17:604-14 pubmed..0 to 10.0). There were too few malignant thyroid neoplasms to estimate risk. Persons exposed to radioactive iodine as children have an increased risk of thyroid neoplasms and autoimmune thyroiditis up to 30 years after exposure. ..
- Stevens P, Klatt J. Guided growth for pathological physes: radiographic improvement during realignment. J Pediatr Orthop. 2008;28:632-9 pubmed publisher..We believe that by correcting and maintaining alignment, secondary bony deformities may be ameliorated and osteotomies for angular correction deferred if not avoided altogether. IV (retrospective clinical series). ..
- Johnson B, MacWilliams B, Carey J, Viskochil D, D Astous J, Stevenson D. Motor proficiency in children with neurofibromatosis type 1. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2010;22:344-8 pubmed publisher..Children with NF1 have significantly lower motor proficiency than the BOT 2 normative scores. The results indicate the BOT 2 is useful in identifying and characterizing delays in motor proficiency for children with NF1. ..
- Jeong E, Sung Y, Kim S, Zuo C, Shi X, Mellon E, et al. Measurement of creatine kinase reaction rate in human brain using magnetization transfer image-selected in vivo spectroscopy (MT-ISIS) and a volume ³¹P/¹H radiofrequency coil in a clinical 3-T MRI system. NMR Biomed. 2011;24:765-70 pubmed publisher..These values are consistent with those obtained using earlier methods, and the technique may be used routinely to evaluate energetic processes in the brain on a clinical MRI system. ..
- Friedman D, Liu G, Digre K. Revised diagnostic criteria for the pseudotumor cerebri syndrome in adults and children. Neurology. 2013;81:1159-65 pubmed publisher..We propose updated diagnostic criteria for PTCS to incorporate advances and insights into the disorder realized over the past 10 years. ..
- Roundy L, Filloux F, Kerr L, Rimer A, Bonkowsky J. Seizure Action Plans Do Not Reduce Health Care Utilization in Pediatric Epilepsy Patients. J Child Neurol. 2016;31:433-8 pubmed publisher..006). However, the study was underpowered to detect smaller differences. This study suggests that pediatric epilepsy quality improvement measures may require alternative approaches to reduce health care utilization and improve outcomes. ..
- Healy A, Stehlik J, Edwards L, McKellar S, Drakos S, Selzman C. Predictors of 30-day post-transplant mortality in patients bridged to transplantation with continuous-flow left ventricular assist devices--An analysis of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation Transplant Registry. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2016;35:34-9 pubmed publisher..Despite the inherent complexities of a reoperative surgery, patients bridged to transplant with CF LVADs have excellent peri-operative survival. ..
- Hewes H, Hunsaker S, Christensen M, Whitney J, Dalrymple T, Taillac P. Documentation of pediatric vital signs by EMS providers over time. J Pediatr Surg. 2016;51:329-32 pubmed publisher..Obtaining a BP, especially in younger children, continues to be a challenge. More work remains to achieve the state goal of documenting all vital signs in >90% of pediatric transports. ..
- Lee B, Diaz G, Rhead W, Lichter Konecki U, Feigenbaum A, Berry S, et al. Glutamine and hyperammonemic crises in patients with urea cycle disorders. Mol Genet Metab. 2016;117:27-32 pubmed publisher..62; p=0.0011). The findings in this UCD population suggest that glutamine is a weaker predictor of HACs than ammonia and that the utility of the predictive value of glutamine will need to take into account concurrent ammonia levels. ..
- Kerig P, Bennett D, Chaplo S, Modrowski C, McGee A. Numbing of Positive, Negative, and General Emotions: Associations With Trauma Exposure, Posttraumatic Stress, and Depressive Symptoms Among Justice-Involved Youth. J Trauma Stress. 2016;29:111-9 pubmed publisher..24). Further tests using Hayes' Process macro showed that general numbing, 95% CI [.02, .45], and numbing of anger, 95% CI [.01, .42], demonstrated indirect effects on the association between trauma exposure and PTSD symptoms. ..
- Ferrari A, Chi Y, De Salvo G, Orbach D, Brennan B, Randall R, et al. Surgery alone is sufficient therapy for children and adolescents with low-risk synovial sarcoma: A joint analysis from the European paediatric soft tissue sarcoma Study Group and the Children's Oncology Group. Eur J Cancer. 2017;78:1-6 pubmed publisher..Avoiding the use of adjuvant chemotherapy and radiotherapy in this low-risk patient population may decrease both short- and long-term morbidity and mortality. ..
- Stevenson M, Dayan P, Dudley N, Bajaj L, Macias C, Bachur R, et al. Time From Emergency Department Evaluation to Operation and Appendiceal Perforation. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..95, 95% confidence interval, 0.89-1.02). Although duration of abdominal pain is associated with AP, short time delays from ED evaluation to operation did not independently increase the odds of perforation. ..
- Walker A, Tani L, Thompson J, Firth S, Veasy L, Bale J. Rheumatic chorea: relationship to systemic manifestations and response to corticosteroids. J Pediatr. 2007;151:679-83 pubmed..To describe Sydenham chorea among children in a cohort of patients with rheumatic fever (RF)...
- Zabrocki L, Brogan T, Statler K, Poss W, Rollins M, Bratton S. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation for pediatric respiratory failure: Survival and predictors of mortality. Crit Care Med. 2011;39:364-70 pubmed publisher..The last multicentered analysis of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in pediatric acute respiratory failure was completed in 1993. We reviewed recent international data to evaluate survival and predictors of mortality...
- Cartwright P, Snow B, Mansfield J, Hamilton B. Percutaneous endoscopic trigonoplasty: a minimally invasive approach to correct vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol. 1996;156:661-4 pubmed..The success rate is modest at present. If it were to be improved with technical modifications, percutaneous endoscopic trigonoplasty may change the basic approach to treating children with vesicoureteral reflux. ..
- Smith L, Anderson J, Coffin C. Cytodifferentiation and clinical outcome after chemotherapy and radiation therapy for rhabdomyosarcoma (RMS). Med Pediatr Oncol. 2002;38:398-404 pubmed..Sparse persistent tumor cells in post treatment ERMS/BRMS specimens does not appear to affect outcome. ..
- Swanson E, Fosnocht D, Jensen S. Comparison of etomidate and midazolam for prehospital rapid-sequence intubation. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2004;8:273-9 pubmed..The authors found a low incidence of hypotension with both agents, although the mean dose of midazolam used was considerably less than typically recommended for induction. ..
- Fosnocht D, Taylor J, Caravati E. Emergency department patient knowledge concerning acetaminophen (paracetamol) in over-the-counter and prescription analgesics. Emerg Med J. 2008;25:213-6 pubmed publisher..This may contribute to unintentional repeated supratherapeutic ingestion (RSTI) of acetaminophen, or overdose. ..
- ..This article reviews nasal vascular anatomy, common causes of epistaxis, and treatments, including biomaterials and minimally invasive surgical techniques. ..
- Bender J, Ampofo K, Gesteland P, Stoddard G, Nelson D, Byington C, et al. Development and validation of a risk score for predicting hospitalization in children with influenza virus infection. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009;25:369-75 pubmed publisher..The risk score assigned to a child with influenza may provide a disposition tool for predicting hospitalization in children in seasonal influenza epidemics. ..
- Schiffman J, Hodgson J, VandenBerg S, Flaherty P, Polley M, Yu M, et al. Oncogenic BRAF mutation with CDKN2A inactivation is characteristic of a subset of pediatric malignant astrocytomas. Cancer Res. 2010;70:512-9 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings highlight BRAF as a frequent mutation target in pediatric astrocytomas, with distinct types of BRAF alteration occurring in grade 1 versus grade 2 to 4 tumors. ..
- Wright R, Frost C, Turok D. A qualitative exploration of emergency contraception users' willingness to select the copper IUD. Contraception. 2012;85:32-5 pubmed publisher..Most women were unaware of the copper IUD for EC. Furthermore, there is little discussion between women and their health-care providers around EC. ..
- Ampofo K, Pavia A, Chris S, Hersh A, Bender J, Blaschke A, et al. The changing epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease at a tertiary children's hospital through the 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine era: a case for continuous surveillance. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012;31:228-34 pubmed publisher..Continued surveillance is warranted to identify further evolution of the epidemiology, clinical syndromes, and serotype distribution of S. pneumoniae after 13-valent PCV licensure. ..
- Churchwell J, Carey P, Ferrett H, Stein D, Yurgelun Todd D. Abnormal striatal circuitry and intensified novelty seeking among adolescents who abuse methamphetamine and cannabis. Dev Neurosci. 2012;34:310-7 pubmed publisher..These preliminary findings support theories that propose a role for the striatum in adolescent substance abuse and further indicate that novelty seeking may be related to the initiation of, or sustained, drug use. ..
- Novis C, Archin N, Buzon M, Verdin E, Round J, Lichterfeld M, et al. Reactivation of latent HIV-1 in central memory CD4? T cells through TLR-1/2 stimulation. Retrovirology. 2013;10:119 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that the signaling through TLR-1/2 pathway via Pam3CSK4 or other reagents should be explored as an anti-latency strategy either alone or in combination with other anti-latency drugs. ..
- Ho K, South S, Lortz A, Hensel C, Sdano M, Vanzo R, et al. Chromosomal microarray testing identifies a 4p terminal region associated with seizures in Wolf-Hirschhorn syndrome. J Med Genet. 2016;53:256-63 pubmed publisher..We identify a small terminal region of chromosome 4p that represents a seizure susceptibility region. Deletion of this region in the context of WHS is sufficient for seizure occurrence. ..
- La ulu S, Rasmussen K, Straseski J. Pediatric Reference Intervals for Free Thyroxine and Free Triiodothyronine by Equilibrium Dialysis-Liquid Chromatography-Tandem Mass Spectrometry. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2016;8:26-31 pubmed publisher..Numerous significant differences were observed between pediatric age groups and previously established adult ranges. This emphasizes the need for well-characterized RIs for thyroid hormones in the pediatric population. ..
- Atz A, Zak V, Mahony L, Uzark K, D agincourt N, Goldberg D, et al. Longitudinal Outcomes of Patients With Single Ventricle After the Fontan Procedure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2735-2744 pubmed publisher..Future interventions might focus on preserving exercise capacity. (Relationship Between Functional Health Status and Ventricular Performance After Fontan-Pediatric Heart Network; NCT00132782). ..
- Stevens P. Guided growth for angular correction: a preliminary series using a tension band plate. J Pediatr Orthop. 2007;27:253-9 pubmed..These patients will be observed up to maturity to support my conclusion that the concept of osteotomy as a first resort and criterion standard has become outdated...
- Arrington C, Sower C, Chuckwuk N, Stevens J, Leppert M, Yetman A, et al. Absence of TGFBR1 and TGFBR2 mutations in patients with bicuspid aortic valve and aortic dilation. Am J Cardiol. 2008;102:629-31 pubmed publisher..Analysis of these genes in 35 patients with BAVs identified only known single-nucleotide polymorphisms or novel synonymous or intronic substitutions. In conclusion, mutations in TGFBR1 and TGFBR2 rarely cause sporadic BAV. ..
- Munger M, Ateshkadi A, Cheung A, Flaharty K, Stoddard G, Marshall E. Cardiopulmonary events during hemodialysis: effects of dialysis membranes and dialysate buffers. Am J Kidney Dis. 2000;36:130-9 pubmed..We conclude that cardiopulmonary events can occur frequently during hemodialysis, and the frequency is dependent on the type of dialysis membrane and dialysate buffer used. ..
- Wen M, Zhang X. Contextual effects of built and social environments of urban neighborhoods on exercise: a multilevel study in Chicago. Am J Health Promot. 2009;23:247-54 pubmed publisher..37; 95% CI: 1.11, 1.69) were significant. The social environment effects were stronger for women. Neighborhood social and built environments are both important for exercise independent of an individual's background. ..
- Faraklas I, Lam U, Cochran A, Stoddard G, Saffle J. Colloid normalizes resuscitation ratio in pediatric burns. J Burn Care Res. 2011;32:91-7 pubmed publisher..7 vs 6.2 ml/kg/%TBSA, P = .004). Measuring hourly I/O is a helpful means of evaluating fluid demands during burn shock resuscitation. The addition of colloid restores normal I/O in pediatric patients. ..
- Sayama C, MacDonald J. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the petrous bone: case presentation and review of the literature. Pediatr Neurosurg. 2010;46:308-12 pubmed publisher..Surgical resection was performed with adjuvant preoperative embolization. The patient recovered complete facial sensation and movement, and follow-up imaging documented complete resection...
- Kauvar D, Sarfati M, Kraiss L. National trauma databank analysis of mortality and limb loss in isolated lower extremity vascular trauma. J Vasc Surg. 2011;53:1598-603 pubmed publisher..We analyzed isolated lower extremity injuries with an arterial component. Our aim was to elucidate factors associated with mortality and limb loss in this selected population...
- Kim J, Philips P. Socioeconomic factors influencing the failure to measure the blood pressure of children during clinical examinations. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2011;13:767-73 pubmed publisher..While examiners place many children at risk for hypertension in the measured pool, they also place many at-risk children in the unmeasured pool for economic and social reasons. ..
- Williams P, Cribbet M, Rau H, Gunn H, Czajkowski L. The effects of poor sleep on cognitive, affective, and physiological responses to a laboratory stressor. Ann Behav Med. 2013;46:40-51 pubmed publisher..Findings suggest that inadequate sleep confers vulnerability to poor cognitive, affective, and physiological responses to stress. ..
- Walters T, Kim M, Denson L, Griffiths A, Dubinsky M, Markowitz J, et al. Increased effectiveness of early therapy with anti-tumor necrosis factor-? vs an immunomodulator in children with Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:383-91 pubmed publisher..Further data will be required to best identify children most likely to benefit from early treatment with anti-TNF? therapy. ..
- Ledbetter L, Salzman K, Shah L. Imaging Psoas Sign in Lumbar Spinal Infections: Evaluation of Diagnostic Accuracy and Comparison with Established Imaging Characteristics. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016;37:736-41 pubmed publisher..T2 hyperintensity in the psoas musculature, particularly when there is clinical suspicion of spinal infection, improves the diagnostic accuracy of discitis-osteomyelitis compared with routine noncontrast variables alone. ..
- Lu X, Schneider E, Jain S, Bramley A, Hymas W, Stockmann C, et al. Rhinovirus Viremia in Patients Hospitalized with Community Acquired Pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Little is known about RV viremia and its value as a diagnostic indicator in persons hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia (CAP)...
- Gregory M, Hammond M, Brewer E. Renal deposition of cytomegalovirus antigen in immunoglobulin-A nephropathy. Lancet. 1988;1:11-4 pubmed..The consistent finding of glomerular cytomegalovirus antigen in IgA nephropathy suggests but does not prove that the virus has a role in the aetiology of this disorder. ..
- Durmowicz A. Pulmonary edema in 6 children with Down syndrome during travel to moderate altitudes. Pediatrics. 2001;108:443-7 pubmed..These problems all may be viewed as risk factors for HAPE and thus result in the rapid development of HAPE at low altitudes. Care should be taken when traveling to even moderate altitudes with children with DS. ..
- Lawson V, Graham B, Flanigan K. Clinical and electrophysiologic features of CMT2A with mutations in the mitofusin 2 gene. Neurology. 2005;65:197-204 pubmed..Given the frequency of MFN2 mutations among CMT2 probands (3/13, or 23%), genetic testing of CMT2 patients should begin with a screen of the MFN2 gene. ..
- Mongia S, Rawlins M, Owen W, Roberts W. Performance characteristics of seven automated CA 125 assays. Am J Clin Pathol. 2006;125:921-7 pubmed..95. All methods show acceptable performance characteristics and generally compare well. However, for some samples, substantial differences exist between methods, necessitating parallel testing when introducing a new method. ..
- Sesek R, Khalighi M, Bloswick D, Anderson M, Tuckett R. Effects of prolonged wrist flexion on transmission of sensory information in carpal tunnel syndrome. J Pain. 2007;8:137-51 pubmed
- Stevenson D, Swoboda K, Sanders R, Bamshad M. A new distal arthrogryposis syndrome characterized by plantar flexion contractures. Am J Med Genet A. 2006;140:2797-801 pubmed..All affected individuals had normal neurological examinations; electromyography and creatinine kinase levels were normal on selected individuals. We have tentatively labeled this condition distal arthrogryposis type 10 (DA10)...
- Isaac J, Snow B, Lowichik A. Fibroepithelial polyp of the prostatic urethra in an adolescent. J Pediatr Surg. 2006;41:e29-31 pubmed..Imaging and endoscopic findings may suggest a malignancy and are not sufficient to render a precise diagnosis, which can only be made by pathologic examination...
- Stevenson D, Moyer Mileur L, Murray M, Slater H, Sheng X, Carey J, et al. Bone mineral density in children and adolescents with neurofibromatosis type 1. J Pediatr. 2007;150:83-8 pubmed..Dual energy x-ray absorptiometry may prove useful in identifying individuals with NF1 who are at risk for clinical osseous complications and monitoring therapeutic trials. ..
- Albright F, Orlando P, Pavia A, Jackson G, Cannon Albright L. Evidence for a heritable predisposition to death due to influenza. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:18-24 pubmed publisher..These data provide strong support for a heritable contribution to predisposition to death due to influenza. ..
- Hake Brooks S, Anderson G. Kangaroo care and breastfeeding of mother-preterm infant dyads 0-18 months: a randomized, controlled trial. Neonatal Netw. 2008;27:151-9 pubmed..047. More KC dyads than control dyads breastfed at full exclusivity (100 percent breast milk, index of breastfeeding status levels 1 or 2) at discharge and at 1.5, 3, and 6 months. Mean KC contact per day was 4.47 hours. ..
- Hopkins R, Key C, Suchyta M, Weaver L, Orme J. Risk factors for depression and anxiety in survivors of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2010;32:147-55 pubmed publisher..Medical variables appear to have a short-term effect on psychiatric outcomes. At 2 years lifestyle behaviors including history of smoking along with cognitive sequelae, depression and anxiety at 1 year predict depression and anxiety. ..
- Kern S, Tiono A, Makanga M, Gbadoé A, Premji Z, Gaye O, et al. Community screening and treatment of asymptomatic carriers of Plasmodium falciparum with artemether-lumefantrine to reduce malaria disease burden: a modelling and simulation analysis. Malar J. 2011;10:210 pubmed publisher..Identification and treatment of asymptomatic carriers within a region may reduce the parasite reservoir and influence malaria transmission in that area...
- Daftary A, Walker J, Farney R. NREM sleep parasomnia associated with Chiari I malformation. J Clin Sleep Med. 2011;7:526-9 pubmed publisher..2) However, in certain cases with atypical features, polysomnography and more extensive neurologic evaluation are medically indicated...
- Gotto A, Cannon C, Li X, Vaidya S, Kher U, Brinton E, et al. Evaluation of lipids, drug concentration, and safety parameters following cessation of treatment with the cholesteryl ester transfer protein inhibitor anacetrapib in patients with or at high risk for coronary heart disease. Am J Cardiol. 2014;113:76-83 pubmed publisher
- Pulsipher M, Langholz B, Wall D, Schultz K, Bunin N, Carroll W, et al. The addition of sirolimus to tacrolimus/methotrexate GVHD prophylaxis in children with ALL: a phase 3 Children's Oncology Group/Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant Consortium trial. Blood. 2014;123:2017-25 pubmed publisher..02), whereas grade 4 aGVHD and extramedullary disease at diagnosis led to inferior OS. Although addition of sirolimus decreased aGVHD, survival was not improved. This study is registered with ClinicalTrials.gov as #NCT00382109. ..
- Fleming J, Hutton C, Heiser D, Youngquist S, Hutton K, Barton E. Spinal Cord Injuries and Helicopter Emergency Medical Services, 6,929 Patients: A Multicenter Analysis. Air Med J. 2016;35:33-42 pubmed publisher..SCI patients are mostly young adult males, thus supporting the loss of years of productivity and also supporting the high lifetime cost for care for SCI. This study created a methodology for future multicenter aggregate data studies. ..
- Bramley A, Reed C, Finelli L, Self W, Ampofo K, Arnold S, et al. Relationship Between Body Mass Index and Outcomes Among Hospitalized Patients With Community-Acquired Pneumonia. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:1873-1882 pubmed publisher..In contrast, adults who were underweight had longer LOS. These results underscore the complex relationship between BMI and CAP outcomes. ..
- Katon J, Gray K, Callegari L, Gardella C, GIBSON C, Ma E, et al. Trends in hysterectomy rates among women veterans in the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:428.e1-428.e11 pubmed publisher..6%, respectively. These findings suggest that gynecology care provided within Veterans Affairs has kept pace with national trends in reducing hysterectomy rates and increasing utilization of minimally invasive surgical techniques. ..
- Michelle M A, Jensen C, Habra M, Menias C, Shaaban A, Wagner Bartak N, et al. Adrenal cortical hyperplasia: diagnostic workup, subtypes, imaging features and mimics. Br J Radiol. 2017;90:20170330 pubmed publisher..This article will discuss the clinical presentation, laboratory workup and imaging features of adrenal cortical hyperplasia, both congenital and acquired. ..
- Bristow M, Hershberger R, Port J, Minobe W, Rasmussen R. Beta 1- and beta 2-adrenergic receptor-mediated adenylate cyclase stimulation in nonfailing and failing human ventricular myocardium. Mol Pharmacol. 1989;35:295-303 pubmed
- Swoboda K, Soong B, McKenna C, Brunt E, Litt M, Bale J, et al. Paroxysmal kinesigenic dyskinesia and infantile convulsions: clinical and linkage studies. Neurology. 2000;55:224-30 pubmed..Identification and characterization of the PKD/infantile convulsions gene will provide new insight into the pathophysiology of this disorder, which spans the phenotypic spectrum between epilepsy and movement disorder. ..
- Spruance S, Nett R, Marbury T, Wolff R, Johnson J, Spaulding T. Acyclovir cream for treatment of herpes simplex labialis: results of two randomized, double-blind, vehicle-controlled, multicenter clinical trials. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002;46:2238-43 pubmed..Acyclovir cream did not prevent the development of classical lesions (progression to vesicles, ulcers, and/or crusts). Adverse events were mild and infrequent. ..
- Crim J, Kjeldsberg K. Radiographic diagnosis of tarsal coalition. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182:323-8 pubmed..Routine anteroposterior and lateral unenhanced radiographs are a valuable screening tool for tarsal coalition, even when used by inexperienced observers. The newly described signs increase sensitivity of radiographic diagnosis. ..
- Morimoto A, Wiggins R, Hudgins P, Hedlund G, Hamilton B, Mukherji S, et al. Absent semicircular canals in CHARGE syndrome: radiologic spectrum of findings. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2006;27:1663-71 pubmed..With this information, neuroradiologists will be better prepared to provide clinically relevant information to their referring physicians regarding this rare syndrome...
- Roy N, Mauszycki S, Merrill R, Gouse M, Smith M. Toward improved differential diagnosis of adductor spasmodic dysphonia and muscle tension dysphonia. Folia Phoniatr Logop. 2007;59:83-90 pubmed..Phonetic loading influences sign expression in ADSD, and assists in discriminating ADSD from MTD. ..
- Krueger G, Eichenfield L, Goodman J, Krafchik B, Carlin C, Pang M, et al. Pharmacokinetics of tacrolimus following topical application of tacrolimus ointment in adult and pediatric patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis. J Drugs Dermatol. 2007;6:185-93 pubmed..Tacrolimus ointment is associated with minimal systemic absorption and no evidence of systemic accumulation in patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis and extensive disease. ..
- Holsti M, Sill B, Firth S, Filloux F, Joyce S, Furnival R. Prehospital intranasal midazolam for the treatment of pediatric seizures. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2007;23:148-53 pubmed..5; CI, 2.7-1046.8). The IN-MAD midazolam controlled seizures better than PR diazepam in the prehospital setting and resulted in fewer respiratory complications and fewer admissions. ..
- Panagiotakis P, Disario J, Hilden K, Ogara M, Fang J. DPEJ tube placement prevents aspiration pneumonia in high-risk patients. Nutr Clin Pract. 2008;23:172-5 pubmed publisher..39 and postplacement was 0.42 (P < .001). DPEJ placement appears to decrease recurrent aspiration pneumonia in patients with history of aspiration pneumonia. ..
- Schiffman J, Wang Y, McPherson L, Welch K, Zhang N, Davis R, et al. Molecular inversion probes reveal patterns of 9p21 deletion and copy number aberrations in childhood leukemia. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2009;193:9-18 pubmed publisher..MIPs represent an attractive technology for identifying novel copy number aberrations, validating previously reported copy number changes, and translating molecular findings into clinically relevant targets for further investigation. ..
- Lawrence A, Faraklas I, Watkins H, Allen A, Cochran A, Morris S, et al. Colloid administration normalizes resuscitation ratio and ameliorates "fluid creep". J Burn Care Res. 2010;31:40-7 pubmed publisher..This practice can be applied selectively as needed using predetermined algorithms. ..
- Kushnir M, Blamires T, Rockwood A, Roberts W, Yue B, Erdogan E, et al. Liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay for androstenedione, dehydroepiandrosterone, and testosterone with pediatric and adult reference intervals. Clin Chem. 2010;56:1138-47 pubmed publisher..This LC-MS/MS method has the required lower limit of quantification and specificity for analysis of endogenous concentrations of androgens in all groups studied. Reference intervals were established for healthy children and adults. ..
- Soltanzadeh P, Friez M, Dunn D, von Niederhausern A, Gurvich O, Swoboda K, et al. Clinical and genetic characterization of manifesting carriers of DMD mutations. Neuromuscul Disord. 2010;20:499-504 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that improved molecular diagnostic methods facilitate the identification of DMD mutations in manifesting carriers, and confirm the heterogeneity of mutational mechanisms as well as the wide spectrum of phenotypes...
- Walraven C, Lingenfelter E, Rollo J, Madsen T, Alexander D. Diagnostic and therapeutic evaluation of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) skin and soft tissue infections in the emergency department. J Emerg Med. 2012;42:392-9 pubmed publisher..Emergency department (ED) pharmacists wished to provide specific data to emergency physicians to better inform antibiotic choices for patients with SSTIs...
- Wallentine C, Shimode N, Egan T, Pace N. Propofol in a modified cyclodextrin formulation: first human study of dose-response with emphasis on injection pain. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:738-41 pubmed publisher..Other endpoints, including sedation, showed no difference. The propofol in cyclodextrin formulation failed to reduce the pain on injection associated with propofol. ..
- Horne B, Muhlestein J, Lappe D, Brunisholz K, May H, Kfoury A, et al. The intermountain risk score predicts incremental age-specific long-term survival and life expectancy. Transl Res. 2011;158:307-14 pubmed publisher..IMRS may be used to stratify age-specific risk of mortality in research, clinical/preventive, and quality improvement applications. A web calculator is located at http://intermountainhealthcare.org/IMRS. ..