Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on action potentials in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Locale: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Topic: action potentials
- Wang Y, Ren C, Manis P. Endbulb synaptic depression within the range of presynaptic spontaneous firing and its impact on the firing reliability of cochlear nucleus bushy neurons. Hear Res. 2010;270:101-9 pubmed publisher..However, there seems to be no beneficial effect as assessed by the firing reliability of postsynaptic neurons for transmitting information about higher rates of activity. ..
- Lewelt A, Krosschell K, Scott C, Sakonju A, Kissel J, Crawford T, et al. Compound muscle action potential and motor function in children with spinal muscular atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2010;42:703-8 pubmed publisher..CMAP correlates well with motor function and has potential value as a relevant surrogate for disease status. ..
- Samson S, Ferrer T, Jou C, Sachse F, Shankaran S, Shaw R, et al. 3-OST-7 regulates BMP-dependent cardiac contraction. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001727 pubmed publisher..Together these results reveal 3-OST-7 as a key component of a novel pathway that constrains BMP signaling from ventricular myocytes, coordinates sarcomere assembly, and promotes cardiac contractile function. ..
- Leary C, Edwards C, Rose G. Midbrain auditory neurons integrate excitation and inhibition to generate duration selectivity: an in vivo whole-cell patch study in anurans. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5481-93 pubmed publisher..These findings are discussed in the context of prevailing models of duration selectivity and acoustic communication in anurans. ..
- Lopez Izquierdo A, Pereira R, Wende A, Punske B, Abel E, Tristani Firouzi M. The absence of insulin signaling in the heart induces changes in potassium channel expression and ventricular repolarization. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014;306:H747-54 pubmed publisher..These results support the notion that the lack of insulin signaling in the heart is sufficient to cause the repolarization abnormalities described in other animal models of diabetes. ..
- Bromberg M, Swoboda K, Lawson V. Counting motor units in chronic motor neuropathies. Exp Neurol. 2003;184 Suppl 1:S53-7 pubmed..The pattern of proximal motor unit loss differed between CMT1A and 2, suggesting differences in underlying axonal pathology. ..
- Sauve Y, Girman S, Wang S, Keegan D, Lund R. Preservation of visual responsiveness in the superior colliculus of RCS rats after retinal pigment epithelium cell transplantation. Neuroscience. 2002;114:389-401 pubmed..The use of retinal sensitivity measurements provides a background for assessing higher visual functions in these animals and a direct comparison for human perimetry measures. ..
- Curtice K, Leavitt L, Chase K, Raghuraman S, Horvath M, Olivera B, et al. Classifying neuronal subclasses of the cerebellum through constellation pharmacology. J Neurophysiol. 2016;115:1031-42 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates the utility of applying constellation pharmacology to classify neuronal and glial subclasses in specific anatomical regions of the brain. ..
- Bromberg M, Swoboda K. Motor unit number estimation in infants and children with spinal muscular atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2002;25:445-7 pubmed..Preliminary data support the value of MUNE to help understand the time course of motor neuron loss in SMA. ..
- Veeraraghavan R, Poelzing S. Mechanisms underlying increased right ventricular conduction sensitivity to flecainide challenge. Cardiovasc Res. 2008;77:749-56 pubmed..However, under conditions where I(Na) is functionally reduced in disease or during pharmacological sodium channel blockade, the heterogeneity in Na(v)1.5 expression may become a significant determinant of conduction heterogeneities. ..
- Christensen M, Wark H, Hutchinson D. A histological analysis of human median and ulnar nerves following implantation of Utah slanted electrode arrays. Biomaterials. 2016;77:235-42 pubmed publisher..However, modifying device design to allow for greater nerve penetration, as well as mitigating the inflammatory response to such devices, would likely increase device performance and should be investigated in future research. ..
- White H, Brown S, Woodhead J, Skeen G, Wolf H. Topiramate modulates GABA-evoked currents in murine cortical neurons by a nonbenzodiazepine mechanism. Epilepsia. 2000;41 Suppl 1:S17-20 pubmed..Enhancement of GABA-mediated inhibition through a BZD-insensitive pathway may represent one mechanism through which TPM exerts its anticonvulsant action. ..
- Seemann G, Sachse F, Weiss D, Ptacek L, Tristani Firouzi M. Modeling of IK1 mutations in human left ventricular myocytes and tissue. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007;292:H549-59 pubmed..Thus our modeling approach faithfully recapitulates several features of ATS and provides a mechanistic explanation for the low frequency of torsade de pointes arrhythmia in ATS. ..
- Dhillon G, Lawrence S, Hutchinson D, Horch K. Residual function in peripheral nerve stumps of amputees: implications for neural control of artificial limbs. J Hand Surg Am. 2004;29:605-15; discussion 616-8 pubmed..This implies that peripheral nerve interfaces could be used to provide amputees with prosthetic limbs that have more natural feel and control than is possible with current myoelectric and body-powered control systems. ..
- Yamauchi A, Rabbitt R, Boyle R, Highstein S. Relationship between inner-ear fluid pressure and semicircular canal afferent nerve discharge. J Assoc Res Otolaryngol. 2002;3:26-44 pubmed..This explanation is consistent with predictions of a finite element model of the end organ. Results have implications regarding the role of deltaP in angular motion transduction and the role of P0 under transient hydropic conditions. ..
- Bulaj G, DeLaCruz R, Azimi Zonooz A, West P, Watkins M, Yoshikami D, et al. Delta-conotoxin structure/function through a cladistic analysis. Biochemistry. 2001;40:13201-8 pubmed
- Lin Z, Marett L, Hughen R, Flores M, Forteza I, Ammon M, et al. Neuroactive diol and acyloin metabolites from cone snail-associated bacteria. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2013;23:4867-9 pubmed publisher..No neuroactivity had previously been reported for compounds in this structural class. Gordonia species have been reproducibly isolated from four different cone snail species, indicating a consistent association between these organisms. ..
- Scoles D, Meera P, Schneider M, Paul S, Dansithong W, Figueroa K, et al. Antisense oligonucleotide therapy for spinocerebellar ataxia type 2. Nature. 2017;544:362-366 pubmed publisher..These findings support ASOs as a promising approach for treating some human neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Wachowiak M, Economo M, Díaz Quesada M, Brunert D, Wesson D, White J, et al. Optical dissection of odor information processing in vivo using GCaMPs expressed in specified cell types of the olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2013;33:5285-300 pubmed publisher..These results suggest multiple circuit elements with distinct roles in transforming odor representations in the OB and provide a framework for further study of early olfactory processing using optical and genetic tools. ..
- Smith E, Kellis S, House P, Greger B. Information transfer along the ventral auditory processing stream in the awake macaque. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2012;2012:5178-81 pubmed publisher..We show conditional information examined over different durations of neural responses provides insight into the time scale and direction of cortical hierarchical processing. ..
- Watanabe S, Rost B, Camacho Perez M, Davis M, Söhl Kielczynski B, Rosenmund C, et al. Ultrafast endocytosis at mouse hippocampal synapses. Nature. 2013;504:242-247 pubmed publisher..It is likely that 'ultrafast endocytosis' is specialized to restore the surface area of the membrane rapidly. ..
- Radwański P, Veeraraghavan R, Poelzing S. Cytosolic calcium accumulation and delayed repolarization associated with ventricular arrhythmias in a guinea pig model of Andersen-Tawil syndrome. Heart Rhythm. 2010;7:1428-1435.e1 pubmed publisher..Therefore, therapies aimed at reducing [Ca(2+)](i) rather than APD gradients may prove effective in treatment of ATS1. ..
- Singh N, Otto J, Dahle E, Pappas C, Leslie J, Vilaythong A, et al. Mouse models of human KCNQ2 and KCNQ3 mutations for benign familial neonatal convulsions show seizures and neuronal plasticity without synaptic reorganization. J Physiol. 2008;586:3405-23 pubmed publisher..The absence of seizure-induced pathology found in these epileptic mouse models parallels the benign neurodevelopmental cognitive profile exhibited by the majority of BFNC patients. ..
- Rohrbough J, Broadie K. Electrophysiological analysis of synaptic transmission in central neurons of Drosophila larvae. J Neurophysiol. 2002;88:847-60 pubmed..These results complement and advance those of recent functional studies in Drosophila embryonic neurons and demonstrate the feasibility of in-depth synaptic transmission and plasticity studies in the Drosophila CNS...
- Bendahhou S, Cummins T, Griggs R, Fu Y, Ptacek L. Sodium channel inactivation defects are associated with acetazolamide-exacerbated hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Ann Neurol. 2001;50:417-20 pubmed..Our data may help explain the mechanism underlying hypokalemic periodic paralysis and the patient's worsening from acetazolamide...
- Shushruth S, Nurminen L, Bijanzadeh M, Ichida J, Vanni S, Angelucci A. Different orientation tuning of near- and far-surround suppression in macaque primary visual cortex mirrors their tuning in human perception. J Neurosci. 2013;33:106-19 pubmed publisher..Such saliency increase can help detect small orientation differences in nearby edges (for contour completion), but large orientation differences in distant edges (for directing saccades/attention). ..
- Rothermel M, Brunert D, Zabawa C, Díaz Quesada M, Wachowiak M. Transgene expression in target-defined neuron populations mediated by retrograde infection with adeno-associated viral vectors. J Neurosci. 2013;33:15195-206 pubmed publisher..These results establish a widely accessible tool for achieving combinatorial specificity and stable, long-term transgene expression to isolate precisely defined neuron populations in the intact animal. ..
- Warren M, Spitzer K, Steadman B, Rees T, Venable P, Taylor T, et al. High-precision recording of the action potential in isolated cardiomyocytes using the near-infrared fluorescent dye di-4-ANBDQBS. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H1271-81 pubmed publisher..However, these effects were alleviated or abolished by reducing the dye concentration and by perfusion with antioxidants. Thus the presented technique provides a unique opportunity for noninvasive AP recording in single cardiomyocytes...
- Litwin S, Zhang D, Roberge P, Pennock G. DITPA prevents the blunted contraction-frequency relationship in myocytes from infarcted hearts. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2000;278:H862-70 pubmed..Chronic DITPA administration after MI largely prevents the development of these abnormalities...
- Lasater E, Witkovsky P. Membrane currents of spiking cells isolated from turtle retina. J Comp Physiol A. 1990;167:11-21 pubmed..It thus appears that the spiking patterns of the retinal cells are shaped primarily by the kinetics of INa, IK and IA and to a lesser extent by IK(Ca)...