Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on transcription factors in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
Topic: transcription factors
Publications146 found, 100 shown here
- Cheng P, Yang Y, Gardner K, Liu Y. PAS domain-mediated WC-1/WC-2 interaction is essential for maintaining the steady-state level of WC-1 and the function of both proteins in circadian clock and light responses of Neurospora. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:517-24 pubmed..Such interactions are essential for maintaining the steady-state level of WC-1 and the proper function of WC-1 and WC-2 in circadian clock and light responses...
- Bassett M, Zhang Y, Clyne C, White P, Rainey W. Differential regulation of aldosterone synthase and 11beta-hydroxylase transcription by steroidogenic factor-1. J Mol Endocrinol. 2002;28:125-35 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest that SF-1 and the Ad4 element are not major regulators of adrenal hCYP11B2 gene expression. Thus far, hCYP11B2 is the first steroid hydroxylase gene which is not positively regulated by SF-1. ..
- Wang D, Li S, Hockemeyer D, Sutherland L, Wang Z, Schratt G, et al. Potentiation of serum response factor activity by a family of myocardin-related transcription factors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:14855-60 pubmed..Myocardin and MRTFs comprise a previously uncharacterized family of SRF cofactors with the potential to modulate SRF target genes in a wide range of tissues. ..
- Eliazer S, Spencer J, Ye D, Olson E, Ilaria R. Alteration of mesodermal cell differentiation by EWS/FLI-1, the oncogene implicated in Ewing's sarcoma. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:482-92 pubmed..This C2C12-EWS/FLI-1 cell model may assist in the identification of novel differentially expressed genes relevant to ES and provide further insight into the cell(s) of origin developing ES-associated genetic fusions. ..
- Horton J, Shimomura I, Ikemoto S, Bashmakov Y, Hammer R. Overexpression of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1a in mouse adipose tissue produces adipocyte hypertrophy, increased fatty acid secretion, and fatty liver. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:36652-60 pubmed..These results suggest that nSREBP-1a and nSREBP-1c have distinct roles in adipocyte fat metabolism in vivo. ..
- Lovett Racke A, Rocchini A, Choy J, Northrop S, Hussain R, Ratts R, et al. Silencing T-bet defines a critical role in the differentiation of autoreactive T lymphocytes. Immunity. 2004;21:719-31 pubmed..Since T-bet regulates IFNgamma production in CD4(+) T cells, but to a lesser extent in most other IFNgamma-producing cells, T-bet may be a target for therapeutics for Th1-mediated diseases. ..
- Havelock J, Smith A, Seely J, Dooley C, Rodgers R, Rainey W, et al. The NGFI-B family of transcription factors regulates expression of 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in the human ovary. Mol Hum Reprod. 2005;11:79-85 pubmed..Therefore, our data suggest that the NGFI-B may play a significant role in up-regulation of HSD3B2 that leads to the increase in progesterone production that is seen in granulosa cells at ovulation. ..
- Liu K, Liang C, Liang Z, Tus K, Wakeland E. Sle1ab mediates the aberrant activation of STAT3 and Ras-ERK signaling pathways in B lymphocytes. J Immunol. 2005;174:1630-7 pubmed..These findings identify IL-6 as a early key cytokine in Sle1ab-mediated disease development and indicate that the STAT3 and ras-ERK signaling pathways are potential therapeutic targets for treating systemic lupus erythematosus. ..
- Sumpter R, Loo Y, Foy E, Li K, Yoneyama M, Fujita T, et al. Regulating intracellular antiviral defense and permissiveness to hepatitis C virus RNA replication through a cellular RNA helicase, RIG-I. J Virol. 2005;79:2689-99 pubmed..RIG-I is thus a pathogen receptor that regulates cellular permissiveness to HCV replication and, as an interferon-responsive gene, may play a key role in interferon-based therapies for the treatment of HCV infection. ..
- Chang S, Bezprozvannaya S, Li S, Olson E. An expression screen reveals modulators of class II histone deacetylase phosphorylation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:8120-5 pubmed..Our results reveal a remarkable variety of signaling pathways that converge on the signal-responsive phosphorylation sites in HDAC5, thereby enabling HDAC5 to connect extracellular signals to the genome. ..
- Han Z, Olson E. Hand is a direct target of Tinman and GATA factors during Drosophila cardiogenesis and hematopoiesis. Development. 2005;132:3525-36 pubmed
- Li S, Chang S, Qi X, Richardson J, Olson E. Requirement of a myocardin-related transcription factor for development of mammary myoepithelial cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:5797-808 pubmed
- Sharma A, Awasthi S, Harrod C, Matlock E, Khan S, Xu L, et al. The Werner syndrome helicase is a cofactor for HIV-1 long terminal repeat transactivation and retroviral replication. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:12048-57 pubmed..WRN may be a plausible target for antiretroviral therapy. ..
- Chen X, Tang T, Tu H, Nelson O, Pook M, Hammer R, et al. Deranged calcium signaling and neurodegeneration in spinocerebellar ataxia type 3. J Neurosci. 2008;28:12713-24 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that deranged Ca(2+) signaling may play an important role in SCA3 pathology and that Ca(2+) signaling stabilizers such as dantrolene may be considered as potential therapeutic drugs for treatment of SCA3 patients. ..
- Song K, Nam Y, Luo X, Qi X, Tan W, Huang G, et al. Heart repair by reprogramming non-myocytes with cardiac transcription factors. Nature. 2012;485:599-604 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a strategy for cardiac repair through reprogramming fibroblasts resident in the heart with cardiogenic transcription factors or other molecules...
- Shimada I, Acar M, Burgess R, Zhao Z, Morrison S. Prdm16 is required for the maintenance of neural stem cells in the postnatal forebrain and their differentiation into ependymal cells. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1134-1146 pubmed publisher..These studies show that Prdm16 is required for adult neural stem cell maintenance and neurogenesis as well as the formation of ependymal cells. ..
- Yang J, Brown M, Ho Y, Goldstein J. Three different rearrangements in a single intron truncate sterol regulatory element binding protein-2 and produce sterol-resistant phenotype in three cell lines. Role of introns in protein evolution. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:12152-61 pubmed..These findings provide a dramatic illustration of the advantage that introns provide in allowing proteins to gain new functions in response to new environmental challenges...
- Hannig E, Cigan A, Freeman B, Kinzy T. GCD11, a negative regulator of GCN4 expression, encodes the gamma subunit of eIF-2 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:506-20 pubmed..The predicted GCD11 polypeptide contains all of the consensus elements known to be required for guanine nucleotide binding, suggesting that, in Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the gamma subunit of eIF-2 is responsible for GDP-GTP binding. ..
- Iyer N, Reagan M, Wu K, Canagarajah B, Friedberg E. Interactions involving the human RNA polymerase II transcription/nucleotide excision repair complex TFIIH, the nucleotide excision repair protein XPG, and Cockayne syndrome group B (CSB) protein. Biochemistry. 1996;35:2157-67 pubmed..Our analyses demonstrate that the XPB, XPD, p44, and p62 proteins interact with each other. XPG protein interacts with multiple subunits of TFIIH and with CSB protein. ..
- Hua X, Nohturfft A, Goldstein J, Brown M. Sterol resistance in CHO cells traced to point mutation in SREBP cleavage-activating protein. Cell. 1996;87:415-26 pubmed..SCAP appears to be a central regulator of cholesterol metabolism in animal cells...
- Petty K, Krimkevich Y, Thomas D. A TATA binding protein-associated factor functions as a coactivator for thyroid hormone receptors. Mol Endocrinol. 1996;10:1632-45 pubmed..Thus, TAFII110 functions as a cofactor for TRs, and the interactions between specific TAFs and nuclear receptors may provide another level of selectivity for transcriptional responses to hormones. ..
- Tian H, McKnight S, Russell D. Endothelial PAS domain protein 1 (EPAS1), a transcription factor selectively expressed in endothelial cells. Genes Dev. 1997;11:72-82 pubmed..These observations raise the possibility that EPAS1 may represent an important regulator of vascularization, perhaps involving the regulation of endothelial cell gene expression in response to hypoxia. ..
- Yang Q, Kong Y, Rothermel B, Garry D, Bassel Duby R, Williams R. The winged-helix/forkhead protein myocyte nuclear factor beta (MNF-beta) forms a co-repressor complex with mammalian sin3B. Biochem J. 2000;345 Pt 2:335-43 pubmed..Transcriptional repression by MNF-beta-mSin3 complexes may contribute to the co-ordination of cellular proliferation and terminal differentiation of myogenic precursor cells. ..
- Charite J, McFadden D, Olson E. The bHLH transcription factor dHAND controls Sonic hedgehog expression and establishment of the zone of polarizing activity during limb development. Development. 2000;127:2461-70 pubmed..Together, these findings identify dHAND as an upstream activator of Shh expression and important transcriptional regulator of limb development. ..
- Ye J, Rawson R, Komuro R, Chen X, Dav U, Prywes R, et al. ER stress induces cleavage of membrane-bound ATF6 by the same proteases that process SREBPs. Mol Cell. 2000;6:1355-64 pubmed..ATF6 processing did not require SCAP, which is essential for SREBP processing. We conclude that S1P and S2P are required for the ER stress response as well as for lipid synthesis...
- Ferdous A, Gonzalez F, Sun L, Kodadek T, Johnston S. The 19S regulatory particle of the proteasome is required for efficient transcription elongation by RNA polymerase II. Mol Cell. 2001;7:981-91 pubmed..Inhibition of the 20S proteolytic core of the proteasome has no effect on elongation. This work defines a nonproteolytic role for the 19S complex in RNAP II transcription. ..
- Yamagishi H, Yamagishi C, Nakagawa O, Harvey R, Olson E, Srivastava D. The combinatorial activities of Nkx2.5 and dHAND are essential for cardiac ventricle formation. Dev Biol. 2001;239:190-203 pubmed..5 and dHAND. These studies provide the first demonstration of gene mutations that result in ablation of the entire ventricular segment of the mammalian heart, and reveal essential transcriptional pathways for ventricular formation. ..
- Jia J, Amanai K, Wang G, Tang J, Wang B, Jiang J. Shaggy/GSK3 antagonizes Hedgehog signalling by regulating Cubitus interruptus. Nature. 2002;416:548-52 pubmed..We propose that Sgg/GSK3 acts in conjunction with PKA to cause hyperphosphorylation of Ci, which targets it for proteolytic processing, and that Hh opposes Ci proteolysis by promoting its dephosphorylation. ..
- Hawke T, Jiang N, Garry D. Absence of p21CIP rescues myogenic progenitor cell proliferative and regenerative capacity in Foxk1 null mice. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:4015-20 pubmed..We conclude that Foxk1 is essential for regulating cell cycle progression in the myogenic progenitor cell and that the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, p21(CIP), may be a downstream target of Foxk1. ..
- Kasus Jacobi A, Ou J, Bashmakov Y, Shelton J, Richardson J, Goldstein J, et al. Characterization of mouse short-chain aldehyde reductase (SCALD), an enzyme regulated by sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32380-9 pubmed
- Alcorn J, Islam K, Young P, Mendelson C. Glucocorticoid inhibition of SP-A gene expression in lung type II cells is mediated via the TTF-1-binding element. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2004;286:L767-76 pubmed..Our finding that Dex increased expression of the NF-kappaB inhibitory partner IkappaB-alpha suggests that the decrease in TBE-binding activity may be caused, in part, by GR inhibition of NF-kappaB interaction with this site. ..
- Aiyer A, Honarpour N, Herz J, Srivastava D. Loss of Apaf-1 leads to partial rescue of the HAND2-null phenotype. Dev Biol. 2005;278:155-62 pubmed
- Xin M, Yue T, Ma Z, Wu F, Gow A, Lu Q. Myelinogenesis and axonal recognition by oligodendrocytes in brain are uncoupled in Olig1-null mice. J Neurosci. 2005;25:1354-65 pubmed..Together, our data indicate that Olig1 is a central regulator of oligodendrocyte myelinogenesis in brain and that axonal recognition and myelination by oligodendrocytes are separable processes. ..
- Phan D, Rasmussen T, Nakagawa O, McAnally J, Gottlieb P, Tucker P, et al. BOP, a regulator of right ventricular heart development, is a direct transcriptional target of MEF2C in the developing heart. Development. 2005;132:2669-78 pubmed..These findings identify Bop as an essential downstream effector gene of MEF2C in the developing heart, and reveal a transcriptional cascade involved in development of the anterior heart field and its derivatives. ..
- Liu Z, Wang Z, Yanagisawa H, Olson E. Phenotypic modulation of smooth muscle cells through interaction of Foxo4 and myocardin. Dev Cell. 2005;9:261-70 pubmed..We conclude that signal-dependent interaction of Foxo4 with myocardin couples extracellular signals with the transcriptional program for SMC differentiation. ..
- Seth R, Sun L, Ea C, Chen Z. Identification and characterization of MAVS, a mitochondrial antiviral signaling protein that activates NF-kappaB and IRF 3. Cell. 2005;122:669-82 pubmed..The transmembrane domain targets MAVS to the mitochondria, implicating a new role of mitochondria in innate immunity...
- Kuwahara K, Wang Y, McAnally J, Richardson J, Bassel Duby R, Hill J, et al. TRPC6 fulfills a calcineurin signaling circuit during pathologic cardiac remodeling. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:3114-26 pubmed..These findings implicate TRPC6 as a positive regulator of calcineurin-NFAT signaling and a key component of a calcium-dependent regulatory loop that drives pathologic cardiac remodeling. ..
- Yang F, Tang W, So S, de Crombrugghe B, Zhang C. Sclerostin is a direct target of osteoblast-specific transcription factor osterix. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;400:684-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support our hypothesis that Sost is a direct target of Osx. This provides a new additional mechanism through which Osx inhibits Wnt signaling during bone formation. ..
- Winn J, Carter M, Avery L, Cameron S. Hox and a newly identified E2F co-repress cell death in Caenorhabditis elegans. Genetics. 2011;188:897-905 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate that LIN-39 and EFL-3 function in a cell type-specific context to regulate transcription of the egl-1 BH3-only cell death gene and to determine cell fate during development. ..
- Zhang C, Tang W, Li Y. Matrix metalloproteinase 13 (MMP13) is a direct target of osteoblast-specific transcription factor osterix (Osx) in osteoblasts. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50525 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data strongly support a direct regulatory role for Osx in MMP13 gene expression in osteoblasts. They further provide new insight into potential mechanisms and pathways that Osx controls bone formation. ..
- Xin M, Kim Y, Sutherland L, Murakami M, Qi X, McAnally J, et al. Hippo pathway effector Yap promotes cardiac regeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13839-44 pubmed publisher..These findings identify Yap as an important regulator of cardiac regeneration and provide an experimental entry point to enhance this process. ..
- Black B, Ligon K, Zhang Y, Olson E. Cooperative transcriptional activation by the neurogenic basic helix-loop-helix protein MASH1 and members of the myocyte enhancer factor-2 (MEF2) family. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:26659-63 pubmed..These results suggest that members of the MEF2 family perform similar roles in synergistic activation of transcription in myogenic and neurogenic lineages by serving as cofactors for cell type-specific bHLH proteins. ..
- Jia Y, Rothermel B, Thornton J, Butow R. A basic helix-loop-helix-leucine zipper transcription complex in yeast functions in a signaling pathway from mitochondria to the nucleus. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:1110-7 pubmed..The basic region of Rtg3p conforms well to the basic region of most bHLH proteins, whereas the basic region of Rtg1p does not. These findings suggest that the Rtg1p-Rtg3p complex interacts in a novel way with its DNA target sites. ..
- Lu J, Bassel Duby R, Hawkins A, Chang P, Valdez R, Wu H, et al. Control of facial muscle development by MyoR and capsulin. Science. 2002;298:2378-81 pubmed..These findings identify MyoR and capsulin as unique transcription factors for the development of specific head muscles. ..
- Spillman M, Bowcock A. BRCA1 and BRCA2 mRNA levels are coordinately elevated in human breast cancer cells in response to estrogen. Oncogene. 1996;13:1639-45 pubmed..Cycloheximide blocked the estrogen effect implying that estrogen induces synthesis of an unidentified estrogen-responsive protein(s) that then result in the elevation of BRCA1 and BRCA2 mRNAs. ..
- Rawson R, Zelenski N, Nijhawan D, Ye J, Sakai J, Hasan M, et al. Complementation cloning of S2P, a gene encoding a putative metalloprotease required for intramembrane cleavage of SREBPs. Mol Cell. 1997;1:47-57 pubmed..Mutation of the putative zinc-binding residues abolishes S2P activity. S2P encodes an unusual metalloprotease that cleaves proteins within transmembrane segments...
- Liu X, Zhang Y, Ni M, Cao H, Signer R, Li D, et al. Regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis in erythropoiesis by mTORC1-mediated protein translation. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:626-638 pubmed publisher..Our studies support a mechanism for post-transcriptional control of erythroid mitochondria and may have direct relevance to haematologic defects associated with mitochondrial diseases and ageing. ..
- Shimomura I, Bashmakov Y, Horton J. Increased levels of nuclear SREBP-1c associated with fatty livers in two mouse models of diabetes mellitus. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:30028-32 pubmed..These studies suggest that increased levels of nuclear SREBP-1c contribute to the elevated rates of hepatic fatty acid synthesis that leads to steatosis in diabetic mice. ..
- Yang J, Goldstein J, Hammer R, Moon Y, Brown M, Horton J. Decreased lipid synthesis in livers of mice with disrupted Site-1 protease gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13607-12 pubmed..These data raise the possibility that S1P inhibitors may be effective lipid-lowering agents, but they suggest that nearly complete inhibition will be required. ..
- Shin C, Liu Z, Passier R, Zhang C, Wang D, Harris T, et al. Modulation of cardiac growth and development by HOP, an unusual homeodomain protein. Cell. 2002;110:725-35 pubmed..We propose that HOP modulates SRF activity during heart development; its absence results in an imbalance between cardiomyocyte proliferation and differentiation with consequent abnormalities in cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- Zhang L, Ren F, Zhang Q, Chen Y, Wang B, Jiang J. The TEAD/TEF family of transcription factor Scalloped mediates Hippo signaling in organ size control. Dev Cell. 2008;14:377-87 pubmed publisher..Finally, Sd recruits Yki to the enhancer of the pathway-responsive gene diap1, suggesting that diap1 is a direct transcriptional target of the Hpo pathway. ..
- Lin Q, Lu J, Yanagisawa H, Webb R, Lyons G, Richardson J, et al. Requirement of the MADS-box transcription factor MEF2C for vascular development. Development. 1998;125:4565-74 pubmed..These results reveal multiple roles for MEF2C in vascular development and suggest that MEF2-dependent target genes mediate endothelial cell organization and SMC differentiation. ..
- Ferreira Junior J, Spirek M, Liu Z, Butow R. Interaction between Rtg2p and Mks1p in the regulation of the RTG pathway of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene. 2005;354:2-8 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that dynamic association between Mks1p and Rtg2p in high molecular weight complexes provides a means to regulate the RTG pathway. ..
- Inagaki T, Moschetta A, Lee Y, Peng L, Zhao G, Downes M, et al. Regulation of antibacterial defense in the small intestine by the nuclear bile acid receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:3920-5 pubmed
- Bardwell L, Bardwell A, Feaver W, Svejstrup J, Kornberg R, Friedberg E. Yeast RAD3 protein binds directly to both SSL2 and SSL1 proteins: implications for the structure and function of transcription/repair factor b. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:3926-30 pubmed..We present genetic evidence suggesting that the DNA-repair function of SSL2 protein is not dependent on its essential function. ..
- Spencer J, Baron M, Olson E. Cooperative transcriptional activation by serum response factor and the high mobility group protein SSRP1. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:15686-93 pubmed..These results reveal an important role for SSRP1 as a coregulator of SRF-dependent transcription in mammalian cells. ..
- Helms A, Gowan K, Abney A, Savage T, Johnson J. Overexpression of MATH1 disrupts the coordination of neural differentiation in cerebellum development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2001;17:671-82 pubmed..Thus, balanced levels of MATH1 are essential for the correct coordination of differentiation events in granule cell development. ..
- Matsuda M, Korn B, Hammer R, Moon Y, Komuro R, Horton J, et al. SREBP cleavage-activating protein (SCAP) is required for increased lipid synthesis in liver induced by cholesterol deprivation and insulin elevation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1206-16 pubmed..These data provide in vivo evidence that SCAP and the SREBPs are required for hepatic lipid synthesis under basal and adaptive conditions. ..
- Houle J, Friedberg E. The Drosophila ortholog of the human XPG gene. Gene. 1999;234:353-60 pubmed..One of these is unique to all four higher eukaryotic sequences. Conceivably this domain evolved to support the essential function of XPG protein. ..
- Xiao X, Zuo X, Davis A, McMillan D, Curry B, Richardson J, et al. HSF1 is required for extra-embryonic development, postnatal growth and protection during inflammatory responses in mice. EMBO J. 1999;18:5943-52 pubmed
- Opperman L. Cranial sutures as intramembranous bone growth sites. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:472-85 pubmed..At the same time, the reader is reminded of the importance of the suture as an intramembranous bone growth site...
- Hu T, Yamagishi H, Maeda J, McAnally J, Yamagishi C, Srivastava D. Tbx1 regulates fibroblast growth factors in the anterior heart field through a reinforcing autoregulatory loop involving forkhead transcription factors. Development. 2004;131:5491-502 pubmed
- Toocheck C, Clister T, Shupe J, Crum C, Ravindranathan P, Lee T, et al. Mouse Spermatogenesis Requires Classical and Nonclassical Testosterone Signaling. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these observations indicate that classical and nonclassical testosterone signaling regulate overlapping and distinct functions that are required for the maintenance of spermatogenesis and male fertility. ..
- Goldstein J, Rawson R, Brown M. Mutant mammalian cells as tools to delineate the sterol regulatory element-binding protein pathway for feedback regulation of lipid synthesis. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2002;397:139-48 pubmed..Their cDNAs and genes were isolated by genetic complementation or by expression cloning. The somatic cell genetic approach described in this article should prove useful for unraveling other complex biochemical pathways in animal cells. ..
- Diab A, Deng C, Smith J, Hussain R, Phanavanh B, Lovett Racke A, et al. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma agonist 15-deoxy-Delta(12,14)-prostaglandin J(2) ameliorates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2002;168:2508-15 pubmed..These results suggest that PPAR-gamma ligands may be a novel therapeutic agent for diseases such as multiple sclerosis. ..
- Li J, Yu X, Pan W, Unger R. Gene expression profile of rat adipose tissue at the onset of high-fat-diet obesity. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2002;282:E1334-41 pubmed..The only one of these thus far characterized functionally was found to promote lipogenesis. ..
- Zhang Y, Repa J, Inoue Y, Hayhurst G, Gonzalez F, Mangelsdorf D. Identification of a liver-specific uridine phosphorylase that is regulated by multiple lipid-sensing nuclear receptors. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:851-62 pubmed
- Guo Y, Yang M, Weissler J, Yang Y. Modulation of PLAGL2 transactivation activity by Ubc9 co-activation not SUMOylation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;374:570-5 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data suggests that Ubc9 can function as a co-factor of PLAGL2, uncoupling from its enzymatic activity, to mediate PLAGL2 interactive SP-C promoter activity. ..
- Reed S, Akiyama M, Stillman B, Friedberg E. Yeast autonomously replicating sequence binding factor is involved in nucleotide excision repair. Genes Dev. 1999;13:3052-8 pubmed..These studies define a novel and unexpected role for ABF1 protein during NER in yeast. ..
- Bassel Duby R, Olson E. Signaling pathways in skeletal muscle remodeling. Annu Rev Biochem. 2006;75:19-37 pubmed..Understanding the mechanisms involved in modulating skeletal muscle phenotypes can potentiate the development of new therapeutic measures to ameliorate muscular diseases. ..
- Ni Y, Berenji K, Wang N, Oh M, Sachan N, Dey A, et al. Foxo transcription factors blunt cardiac hypertrophy by inhibiting calcineurin signaling. Circulation. 2006;114:1159-68 pubmed..This study suggests that inhibition of the calcineurin/NFAT signaling cascade by Foxo and release of this repressive action by the PI3K/Akt pathway are important mechanisms whereby Foxo factors govern cell growth in the heart. ..
- Ferdous A, Sikder D, Gillette T, Nalley K, Kodadek T, Johnston S. The role of the proteasomal ATPases and activator monoubiquitylation in regulating Gal4 binding to promoters. Genes Dev. 2007;21:112-23 pubmed..The fact that monoubiquitylated activator is resistant to the "stripping" activity of the proteasomal ATPases may explain, in part, why some activators require this modification in order to function efficiently. ..
- Zhang Q, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Changes in rRNA transcription influence proliferation and cell fate within a stem cell lineage. Science. 2014;343:298-301 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that modulating rRNA synthesis fosters changes in the cell fate, growth, and proliferation of female Drosophila GSCs and their daughters. ..
- Yamagishi H, Olson E, Srivastava D. The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, dHAND, is required for vascular development. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:261-70 pubmed..These results suggest that dHAND is required for vascular development and regulates angiogenesis, possibly through a VEGF signaling pathway. ..
- Repa J, Turley S, Lobaccaro J, Medina J, Li L, Lustig K, et al. Regulation of absorption and ABC1-mediated efflux of cholesterol by RXR heterodimers. Science. 2000;289:1524-9 pubmed..Thus, these RXR heterodimers serve as key regulators of cholesterol homeostasis by governing reverse cholesterol transport from peripheral tissues, bile acid synthesis in liver, and cholesterol absorption in intestine...
- Liu Y, MacDonald R, Swift G. DNA binding and transcriptional activation by a PDX1.PBX1b.MEIS2b trimer and cooperation with a pancreas-specific basic helix-loop-helix complex. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:17985-93 pubmed..PBX1b.MEIS2b complex cooperates with the PTF1 basic helix-loop-helix complex to activate an ELA1 minienhancer in HeLa cells and that this cooperation requires all three homeoprotein subunits, including the PDX1 activation domain. ..
- Moon Y, Shah N, Mohapatra S, Warrington J, Horton J. Identification of a mammalian long chain fatty acyl elongase regulated by sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:45358-66 pubmed..The current studies suggest that mouse LCE expression is increased by SREBPs and that the enzyme is a component of the elusive mammalian elongation system that converts palmitic to stearic acid. ..
- Moschetta A, Bookout A, Mangelsdorf D. Prevention of cholesterol gallstone disease by FXR agonists in a mouse model. Nat Med. 2004;10:1352-8 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that FXR is a promising therapeutic target for treating or preventing cholesterol gallstone disease...
- Zhou Y, Barnard M, Tian H, Li X, Ring H, Francke U, et al. Molecular characterization of two mammalian bHLH-PAS domain proteins selectively expressed in the central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:713-8 pubmed..The chromosomal regions to which human NPAS1 and NPAS2 map are syntenic with those containing the mouse Npas1 and Npas2 genes, indicating that the mouse and human genes are true homologs. ..
- Shimomura I, Hammer R, Ikemoto S, Brown M, Goldstein J. Leptin reverses insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus in mice with congenital lipodystrophy. Nature. 1999;401:73-6 pubmed..Our results support the idea that leptin modulates insulin sensitivity and glucose disposal independently of its effect on food intake, and that leptin deficiency accounts for the insulin resistance found in CGL. ..
- Erbel P, Card P, Karakuzu O, Bruick R, Gardner K. Structural basis for PAS domain heterodimerization in the basic helix--loop--helix-PAS transcription factor hypoxia-inducible factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15504-9 pubmed
- Zhao Y, Samal E, Srivastava D. Serum response factor regulates a muscle-specific microRNA that targets Hand2 during cardiogenesis. Nature. 2005;436:214-20 pubmed..This work suggests that miR-1 genes titrate the effects of critical cardiac regulatory proteins to control the balance between differentiation and proliferation during cardiogenesis. ..
- Huang J, Wu S, Barrera J, Matthews K, Pan D. The Hippo signaling pathway coordinately regulates cell proliferation and apoptosis by inactivating Yorkie, the Drosophila Homolog of YAP. Cell. 2005;122:421-34 pubmed..Thus, Yki is a critical target of the Wts/Lats protein kinase and a potential oncogene. ..
- Shimano H, Shimomura I, Hammer R, Herz J, Goldstein J, Brown M, et al. Elevated levels of SREBP-2 and cholesterol synthesis in livers of mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the SREBP-1 gene. J Clin Invest. 1997;100:2115-24 pubmed
- Thomas T, Yamagishi H, Overbeek P, Olson E, Srivastava D. The bHLH factors, dHAND and eHAND, specify pulmonary and systemic cardiac ventricles independent of left-right sidedness. Dev Biol. 1998;196:228-36 pubmed
- Ranganayakulu G, Elliott D, Harvey R, Olson E. Divergent roles for NK-2 class homeobox genes in cardiogenesis in flies and mice. Development. 1998;125:3037-48 pubmed..The distinct cardiogenic programs in vertebrates and flies may be built upon a common and perhaps more ancient program for specification of visceral muscle. ..
- Agarwal A, Garg A. A novel heterozygous mutation in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma gene in a patient with familial partial lipodystrophy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:408-11 pubmed..None of the four unaffected family members harbored the mutation. We conclude that heterozygous, R425C, mutation in PPARG could be the molecular basis for one of the familial partial lipodystrophy phenotypes. ..
- Garg A. Acquired and inherited lipodystrophies. N Engl J Med. 2004;350:1220-34 pubmed
- Glasgow S, Henke R, Macdonald R, Wright C, Johnson J. Ptf1a determines GABAergic over glutamatergic neuronal cell fate in the spinal cord dorsal horn. Development. 2005;132:5461-9 pubmed..5. Thus, Ptf1a function is essential for GABAergic over glutamatergic neuronal cell fates in the developing spinal cord, and provides an important genetic link between inhibitory and excitatory interneuron development. ..