Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on protein serine threonine kinases in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
Topic: protein serine threonine kinases
- Chen W, Chen Y, Xu B, Juang Y, Stippec S, Zhao Y, et al. Regulation of a third conserved phosphorylation site in SGK1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3453-60 pubmed publisher..SGK1 activation was further augmented by coexpression with the protein kinase WNK1 (with no lysine kinase 1). These findings reveal further complexity underlying the regulation of SGK1 activity. ..
- Abe M, Ho C, Kamm K, Grinnell F. Different molecular motors mediate platelet-derived growth factor and lysophosphatidic acid-stimulated floating collagen matrix contraction. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:47707-12 pubmed..LPA-dependent, Rho kinase-independent force generation also was detected during fibroblast spreading on collagen-coated coverslips. ..
- Shin E, Perryman L, Meek K. A kinase-negative mutation of DNA-PK(CS) in equine SCID results in defective coding and signal joint formation. J Immunol. 1997;158:3565-9 pubmed
- Ren H, Schmalstieg A, van Oers N, Gaynor R. I-kappa B kinases alpha and beta have distinct roles in regulating murine T cell function. J Immunol. 2002;168:3721-31 pubmed..These results suggest that IKKalpha and IKKbeta have distinct roles in regulating thymocyte function. ..
- Rutter J, Michnoff C, Harper S, Gardner K, McKnight S. PAS kinase: an evolutionarily conserved PAS domain-regulated serine/threonine kinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:8991-6 pubmed..These studies define a eukaryotic signaling pathway suitable for studies of PAS domains in a purified in vitro setting. ..
- Shang J, Lehrman M. Discordance of UPR signaling by ATF6 and Ire1p-XBP1 with levels of target transcripts. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;317:390-6 pubmed
- Vishwanath M, Ma L, Otey C, Jester J, Petroll W. Modulation of corneal fibroblast contractility within fibrillar collagen matrices. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2003;44:4724-35 pubmed..Sarcomeric shortening of stress fibers in contracting corneal fibroblasts is also demonstrated for the first time. ..
- Karandikar M, Xu S, Cobb M. MEKK1 binds raf-1 and the ERK2 cascade components. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:40120-7 pubmed..In this study we demonstrate that endogenous MEKK1 binds to endogenous ERK2, MEK1, and another MEKK level kinase, Raf-1, suggesting that it can assemble all three proteins of the ERK2 MAP kinase module. ..
- Verma U, Yamamoto Y, Prajapati S, Gaynor R. Nuclear role of I kappa B Kinase-gamma/NF-kappa B essential modulator (IKK gamma/NEMO) in NF-kappa B-dependent gene expression. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:3509-15 pubmed
- Chen B, Chan D, Kobayashi J, Burma S, Asaithamby A, Morotomi Yano K, et al. Cell cycle dependence of DNA-dependent protein kinase phosphorylation in response to DNA double strand breaks. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:14709-15 pubmed..These results indicate that although IR-induced DNA-PKcs phosphorylation is attenuated in the S phase, DNA-PKcs is preferentially activated by the physiologically relevant DNA replication-associated DSBs at the sites of DNA synthesis. ..
- Tang Z, Shu H, Qi W, Mahmood N, Mumby M, Yu H. PP2A is required for centromeric localization of Sgo1 and proper chromosome segregation. Dev Cell. 2006;10:575-85 pubmed..Our findings suggest that Bub1 targets PP2A to centromeres, which in turn maintains Sgo1 at centromeres by counteracting Plk1-mediated chromosome removal of Sgo1. ..
- Christerson L, Gallagher E, Vanderbilt C, Whitehurst A, Wells C, Kazempour R, et al. p115 Rho GTPase activating protein interacts with MEKK1. J Cell Physiol. 2002;192:200-8 pubmed..Here we have identified an MEKK1 binding partner that offers a connection between this protein kinase and the machinery regulating cytoskeletal reorganization. ..
- Kumar A, Eby M, Sinha S, Jasmin A, Chaudhary P. The ectodermal dysplasia receptor activates the nuclear factor-kappaB, JNK, and cell death pathways and binds to ectodysplasin A. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:2668-77 pubmed..Collectively, the above results suggest that EDAR utilizes a novel signal transduction pathway. Finally, ectodysplasin A can physically interact with the extracellular domain of EDAR and thus represents its biological ligand. ..
- Brown M, Ye J, Rawson R, Goldstein J. Regulated intramembrane proteolysis: a control mechanism conserved from bacteria to humans. Cell. 2000;100:391-8 pubmed
- Sun L, Deng L, Ea C, Xia Z, Chen Z. The TRAF6 ubiquitin ligase and TAK1 kinase mediate IKK activation by BCL10 and MALT1 in T lymphocytes. Mol Cell. 2004;14:289-301 pubmed..These results reveal an oligomerization --> ubiquitination --> phosphorylation cascade that culminates in NF-kappaB activation in T lymphocytes. ..
- Towb P, Galindo R, Wasserman S. Recruitment of Tube and Pelle to signaling sites at the surface of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1998;125:2443-50 pubmed..Together, these results strongly support the hypothesis that intracellular signaling requires the Toll-mediated formation of a membrane-associated complex containing both Tube and Pelle. ..
- Ramadori G, Gautron L, Fujikawa T, Vianna C, Elmquist J, Coppari R. Central administration of resveratrol improves diet-induced diabetes. Endocrinology. 2009;150:5326-33 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results unveiled a previously unrecognized key role for the CNS in mediating the antidiabetic actions of resveratrol. ..
- Toto R. Aldosterone blockade in chronic kidney disease: can it improve outcome?. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2010;19:444-9 pubmed publisher..To move this field forward and determine whether these agents can improve the lives of patients with kidney disease, novel strategies to prevent or ameliorate hyperkalemia are needed. ..
- Kang J, Yang M, Li B, Qi W, Zhang C, Shokat K, et al. Structure and substrate recruitment of the human spindle checkpoint kinase Bub1. Mol Cell. 2008;32:394-405 pubmed publisher..The KEN boxes of Bub1 are required for the spindle checkpoint in human cells. Therefore, its unusual active-site conformation and mode of substrate recruitment suggest that Bub1 has an exquisitely tuned specificity for Cdc20. ..
- James L, Le C, Scholey J. Influence of glucosamine on glomerular mesangial cell turnover: implications for hyperglycemia and hexosamine pathway flux. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;298:E210-21 pubmed publisher..The proliferative response to high glucose and hexosamine flux is rapamycin-sensitive, suggesting that this effect is associated with signaling through rapamycin-sensitive mTOR complex 1 (mTORC1). ..
- Liu Z, Galindo R, Wasserman S. A role for CKII phosphorylation of the cactus PEST domain in dorsoventral patterning of the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1997;11:3413-22 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that wild-type axis formation requires CKII-catalyzed phosphorylation of the Cactus PEST domain. ..
- Lee B, Chen W, Stippec S, Cobb M. Biological cross-talk between WNK1 and the transforming growth factor beta-Smad signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17985-96 pubmed..In addition, TGFbeta-induced target gene transcripts were increased in WNK1 small interfering RNA cells. These findings suggest WNK1 as a dual modulator of TGFbeta-Smad signaling pathways. ..
- Xu B, English J, Wilsbacher J, Stippec S, Goldsmith E, Cobb M. WNK1, a novel mammalian serine/threonine protein kinase lacking the catalytic lysine in subdomain II. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:16795-801 pubmed..This distinct organization of catalytic residues indicates that WNK1 belongs to a novel family of serine/threonine protein kinases. ..
- Deng L, Wang C, Spencer E, Yang L, Braun A, You J, et al. Activation of the IkappaB kinase complex by TRAF6 requires a dimeric ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme complex and a unique polyubiquitin chain. Cell. 2000;103:351-61 pubmed..These results unveil a new regulatory function for ubiquitin, in which IKK is activated through the assembly of K63-linked polyubiquitin chains. ..
- Yamamoto Y, Kim D, Kwak Y, Prajapati S, Verma U, Gaynor R. IKKgamma /NEMO facilitates the recruitment of the IkappaB proteins into the IkappaB kinase complex. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:36327-36 pubmed..These results suggest that an important function of IKKgamma/NEMO is to facilitate the association of both IKKbeta and IkappaB in the high molecular weight IKK complex to increase IkappaB phosphorylation. ..
- Anselmo A, Earnest S, Chen W, Juang Y, Kim S, Zhao Y, et al. WNK1 and OSR1 regulate the Na+, K+, 2Cl- cotransporter in HeLa cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:10883-8 pubmed..OSR1 and SPAK are likely links between WNK1 and NKCC in a pathway that contributes to volume regulation and blood pressure homeostasis in mammals. ..
- Nishi Y, Rogers E, Robertson S, Lin R. Polo kinases regulate C. elegans embryonic polarity via binding to DYRK2-primed MEX-5 and MEX-6. Development. 2008;135:687-97 pubmed publisher..Our results provide a mechanism by which MEX-5 and MEX-6 function is temporally regulated during the crucial oocyte-to-embryo transition. ..
- Khoo S, Cobb M. Activation of mitogen-activating protein kinase by glucose is not required for insulin secretion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5599-604 pubmed..These findings suggest that some of the glucose-dependent actions of ERKs will be exerted in the nucleus. ..
- English J, Vanderbilt C, Xu S, Marcus S, Cobb M. Isolation of MEK5 and differential expression of alternatively spliced forms. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:28897-902 pubmed
- Heise C, Xu B, Deaton S, Cha S, Cheng C, Earnest S, et al. Serum and glucocorticoid-induced kinase (SGK) 1 and the epithelial sodium channel are regulated by multiple with no lysine (WNK) family members. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:25161-7 pubmed publisher..Further evidence for the importance of WNK1 in this process comes from the ability of Nedd4-2 to bind to WNK1 and the finding that endogenous SGK1 has reduced activity if WNK1 is knocked down by small interfering RNA. ..
- Davletov B, Sontag J, Hata Y, Petrenko A, Fykse E, Jahn R, et al. Phosphorylation of synaptotagmin I by casein kinase II. J Biol Chem. 1993;268:6816-22 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that synaptotagmin I is an efficient substrate for casein kinase II at a conserved site with a possible modulatory role in nerve terminal function. ..
- Zhou T, Raman M, Gao Y, Earnest S, Chen Z, Machius M, et al. Crystal structure of the TAO2 kinase domain: activation and specificity of a Ste20p MAP3K. Structure. 2004;12:1891-900 pubmed..Finally, active TAO2 displays unusual interactions with ATP, involving, in part, a subgroup-specific C-terminal extension of TAO2. The observed interactions may be useful in making specific inhibitors of TAO kinases. ..
- Ren H, Schmalstieg A, Yuan D, Gaynor R. I-kappa B kinase beta is critical for B cell proliferation and antibody response. J Immunol. 2002;168:577-87 pubmed..These results suggest that IKKbeta is critical for the proliferation of B cells and the control of some aspects of the humoral response. ..
- Lenertz L, Lee B, Min X, Xu B, Wedin K, Earnest S, et al. Properties of WNK1 and implications for other family members. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:26653-8 pubmed..In addition, the WNK1 autoinhibitory domain inhibited the catalytic activity of these WNKs. These findings suggest potential mechanisms for interconnected regulation of WNK family members. ..
- Lazrak A, Liu Z, Huang C. Antagonistic regulation of ROMK by long and kidney-specific WNK1 isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1615-20 pubmed..Thus, KS-WNK1 is a physiological antagonist of long WNK1. Hyperkalemia in PHA II patients with PHA II mutations may be caused, at least partially, by increased expression of long WNK1 with or without decreased expression of KS-WNK1. ..
- Chien Y, Kim S, Bumeister R, Loo Y, Kwon S, Johnson C, et al. RalB GTPase-mediated activation of the IkappaB family kinase TBK1 couples innate immune signaling to tumor cell survival. Cell. 2006;127:157-70 pubmed..These observations define the mechanistic contribution of RalGTPases to cancer cell survival and reveal the RalB/Sec5 effector complex as a component of TBK1-dependent innate immune signaling. ..
- Mineo C, Yuhanna I, Quon M, Shaul P. High density lipoprotein-induced endothelial nitric-oxide synthase activation is mediated by Akt and MAP kinases. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:9142-9 pubmed..These results indicate that HDL stimulates eNOS through common upstream, Src-mediated signaling, which leads to parallel activation of Akt and MAP kinases and their resultant independent modulation of the enzyme. ..
- Khokhlatchev A, Xu S, English J, Wu P, Schaefer E, Cobb M. Reconstitution of mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphorylation cascades in bacteria. Efficient synthesis of active protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:11057-62 pubmed..6-2.3 micromol/min/mg. Coexpression of protein kinases with their substrates in bacteria is of great value in the preparation of numerous phosphoproteins, heretofore not possible in procaryotic expression systems. ..
- Wang C, Deng L, Hong M, Akkaraju G, Inoue J, Chen Z. TAK1 is a ubiquitin-dependent kinase of MKK and IKK. Nature. 2001;412:346-51 pubmed..We also provide evidence that TRAF6 is conjugated by the K63 polyubiquitin chains. These results indicate that ubiquitination has an important regulatory role in stress response pathways, including those of IKK and JNK. ..
- Wingo S, Gallardo T, Akbay E, Liang M, Contreras C, Boren T, et al. Somatic LKB1 mutations promote cervical cancer progression. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5137 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, LKB1 status can be exploited clinically to predict disease recurrence. ..
- Gao X, Pan D. TSC1 and TSC2 tumor suppressors antagonize insulin signaling in cell growth. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1383-92 pubmed..Taken together, our studies identified the TSC tumor suppressors as novel negative regulators of insulin signaling. ..
- Rutter J, Probst B, McKnight S. Coordinate regulation of sugar flux and translation by PAS kinase. Cell. 2002;111:17-28 pubmed..These studies provide evidence of a cell-autonomous signaling system that both controls and connects the balance of fuel consumption/storage to protein synthesis. ..
- Contreras C, Gurumurthy S, Haynie J, Shirley L, Akbay E, Wingo S, et al. Loss of Lkb1 provokes highly invasive endometrial adenocarcinomas. Cancer Res. 2008;68:759-66 pubmed publisher..This study shows that Lkb1 plays an important role in the malignant transformation of endometrium and that Lkb1 loss promotes a highly invasive phenotype. ..
- Robinson M, Cobb M. Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1997;9:180-6 pubmed
- Swantek J, Tsen M, Cobb M, Thomas J. IL-1 receptor-associated kinase modulates host responsiveness to endotoxin. J Immunol. 2000;164:4301-6 pubmed..These findings, coupled with the critical role for IRAK in IL-1 and IL-18 signal transduction, demonstrate the importance of this kinase and the IL-1/Toll signaling cassette in sensing and responding to Gram-negative infection. ..
- Prajapati S, Gaynor R. Regulation of Ikappa B kinase (IKK)gamma /NEMO function by IKKbeta -mediated phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:24331-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the differential phosphorylation of IKKgamma/NEMO by IKKbeta and perhaps other kinases may be important in regulating IKK activity. ..
- Yang Y, Cheng P, Liu Y. Regulation of the Neurospora circadian clock by casein kinase II. Genes Dev. 2002;16:994-1006 pubmed..Taken together, our results suggest that CKII is an important component of the Neurospora circadian clock. ..
- Bock Marquette I, Saxena A, White M, Dimaio J, Srivastava D. Thymosin beta4 activates integrin-linked kinase and promotes cardiac cell migration, survival and cardiac repair. Nature. 2004;432:466-72 pubmed..These findings suggest that thymosin beta4 promotes cardiomyocyte migration, survival and repair and the pathway it regulates may be a new therapeutic target in the setting of acute myocardial damage. ..
- Wang H, Liu Z, Huang C. Domains of WNK1 kinase in the regulation of ROMK1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F438-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, multiple intra- and/or intermolecular interactions of WNK1 domains are at play for regulation of ROMK1 by WNK1. ..
- Lakshman N, Kim A, Bayless K, Davis G, Petroll W. Rho plays a central role in regulating local cell-matrix mechanical interactions in 3D culture. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:434-45 pubmed
- Zhang L, Ren F, Zhang Q, Chen Y, Wang B, Jiang J. The TEAD/TEF family of transcription factor Scalloped mediates Hippo signaling in organ size control. Dev Cell. 2008;14:377-87 pubmed publisher..Finally, Sd recruits Yki to the enhancer of the pathway-responsive gene diap1, suggesting that diap1 is a direct transcriptional target of the Hpo pathway. ..
- Liu L, Kwak Y, Bex F, García Martínez L, Li X, Meek K, et al. DNA-dependent protein kinase phosphorylation of IkappaB alpha and IkappaB beta regulates NF-kappaB DNA binding properties. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4221-34 pubmed..These results suggest that DNA-PK phosphorylation of IkappaB alpha increases its interaction with NF-kappaB to reduce NF-kappaB DNA binding properties. ..
- Leber R, Wise T, Mizuta R, Meek K. The XRCC4 gene product is a target for and interacts with the DNA-dependent protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:1794-801 pubmed..These data are consistent with the hypothesis that XRCC4 functions as an alignment factor in the DNA-PK complex. ..
- Xia D, Stull J, Kamm K. Myosin phosphatase targeting subunit 1 affects cell migration by regulating myosin phosphorylation and actin assembly. Exp Cell Res. 2005;304:506-17 pubmed..Proper expression of MYPT1 or variant 2 is critical for RLC phosphorylation and actin assembly, thus maintaining normal cellular functions by simultaneously controlling cytoskeletal architecture and actomyosin activation. ..
- Min X, Lee B, Cobb M, Goldsmith E. Crystal structure of the kinase domain of WNK1, a kinase that causes a hereditary form of hypertension. Structure. 2004;12:1303-11 pubmed..The structure of the WNK1 catalytic domain, with its unique active site, may help in the design of therapeutic reagents for the treatment of hypertension. ..
- Liu Z, Wang H, Huang C. Regulation of ROMK channel and K+ homeostasis by kidney-specific WNK1 kinase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12198-206 pubmed publisher..Thus, KS-WNK1 is an important physiological regulator of renal K(+) excretion, likely through its effects on the ROMK1 channel. ..
- Xu B, Stippec S, Lenertz L, Lee B, Zhang W, Lee Y, et al. WNK1 activates ERK5 by an MEKK2/3-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:7826-31 pubmed..Finally, ERK5 activation by epidermal growth factor was attenuated by suppression of WNK1 expression using small interfering RNA. Taken together, these results place WNK1 in the ERK5 MAP kinase pathway upstream of MEKK2/3. ..
- Lamberti C, Lin K, Yamamoto Y, Verma U, Verma I, Byers S, et al. Regulation of beta-catenin function by the IkappaB kinases. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:42276-86 pubmed
- Jia J, Zhang W, Wang B, Trinko R, Jiang J. The Drosophila Ste20 family kinase dMST functions as a tumor suppressor by restricting cell proliferation and promoting apoptosis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:2514-9 pubmed..dMST forms a complex with Sav and Wts, two tumor suppressors also implicated in regulating both cell proliferation and apoptosis, suggesting that they act in common pathways. ..
- Yang Y, Cheng P, He Q, Wang L, Liu Y. Phosphorylation of FREQUENCY protein by casein kinase II is necessary for the function of the Neurospora circadian clock. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6221-8 pubmed..Together, these data indicate that CKII is an important component of the Neurospora circadian clock...
- Takaesu G, Surabhi R, Park K, Ninomiya Tsuji J, Matsumoto K, Gaynor R. TAK1 is critical for IkappaB kinase-mediated activation of the NF-kappaB pathway. J Mol Biol. 2003;326:105-15 pubmed..This analysis further defines the distinct in vivo roles of IKKalpha, IKKbeta and TAK1 in cytokine-induced activation of the NF-kappaB pathway. ..
- Kato M, Li J, Chuang J, Chuang D. Distinct structural mechanisms for inhibition of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase isoforms by AZD7545, dichloroacetate, and radicicol. Structure. 2007;15:992-1004 pubmed..Finally, radicicol inhibits kinase activity by binding directly to the ATP-binding pocket of PDK3, similar to Hsp90 and Topo VI from the same ATPase/kinase superfamily. ..
- Li J, Kato M, Chuang D. Pivotal role of the C-terminal DW-motif in mediating inhibition of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 2 by dichloroacetate. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:34458-67 pubmed publisher..These results implicate the DW-motif anchoring site as a drug target for the inhibition of aberrant PDK activity in cancer and diabetes. ..
- Huang J, Wu S, Barrera J, Matthews K, Pan D. The Hippo signaling pathway coordinately regulates cell proliferation and apoptosis by inactivating Yorkie, the Drosophila Homolog of YAP. Cell. 2005;122:421-34 pubmed..Thus, Yki is a critical target of the Wts/Lats protein kinase and a potential oncogene. ..
- Amezcua C, Harper S, Rutter J, Gardner K. Structure and interactions of PAS kinase N-terminal PAS domain: model for intramolecular kinase regulation. Structure. 2002;10:1349-61 pubmed..Structural and functional analyses of point mutants demonstrate that the compound and ligand binding regions are linked, suggesting that the PAS domain serves as a ligand-regulated switch for this eukaryotic signaling system. ..
- Li X, Fang X, Gaynor R. Role of IKKgamma/nemo in assembly of the Ikappa B kinase complex. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:4494-500 pubmed..These results suggest that recruitment of the IKKs into a high molecular complex by IKKgamma/NEMO is a crucial step involved in IKK function. ..
- Wei B, Arora V, Raney A, Kuo L, Xiao G, O Neill E, et al. Activation of p21-activated kinase 2 by human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Nef induces merlin phosphorylation. J Virol. 2005;79:14976-80 pubmed..The finding that Nef induces phosphorylation of the key signaling molecule merlin suggests several possible roles for PAK2 activation in HIV pathogenesis. ..
- Xu B, Stippec S, Chu P, Lazrak A, Li X, Lee B, et al. WNK1 activates SGK1 to regulate the epithelial sodium channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:10315-20 pubmed..This finding provides compelling evidence that this molecular mechanism contributes to the pathogenesis of hypertension in pseudohypoaldosteronism type II caused by WNK1 and, possibly, in other forms of hypertension...
- Lee B, Min X, Heise C, Xu B, Chen S, Shu H, et al. WNK1 phosphorylates synaptotagmin 2 and modulates its membrane binding. Mol Cell. 2004;15:741-51 pubmed..These findings provide a biochemical mechanism that could lead to the retention or insertion of proteins in the plasma membrane. Interruption of this regulatory pathway may disturb membrane events that regulate ion balance. ..
- Ivanov D, Kwak Y, Guo J, Gaynor R. Domains in the SPT5 protein that modulate its transcriptional regulatory properties. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:2970-83 pubmed..These results suggest that C-terminal repeats in SPT5, like those in the RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain, are sites for P-TEFb phosphorylation and function in modulating its transcriptional elongation properties. ..
- Sinha S, Zachariah S, QUINONES H, Shindo M, Chaudhary P. Role of TRAF3 and -6 in the activation of the NF-kappa B and JNK pathways by X-linked ectodermal dysplasia receptor. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:44953-61 pubmed..Taken together, our results establish a major role of TRAF3 and -6 in XEDAR signaling and in the process of ectodermal differentiation. ..
- Park K, Gaynor R, Kwak Y. Heat shock protein 27 association with the I kappa B kinase complex regulates tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced NF-kappa B activation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35272-8 pubmed..These studies indicate that Hsp27 plays a negative role in down-regulating IKK signaling by reducing its activity following tumor necrosis factor alpha stimulation. ..
- Chen W, Yazicioglu M, Cobb M. Characterization of OSR1, a member of the mammalian Ste20p/germinal center kinase subfamily. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:11129-36 pubmed..Replacement of threonine 84 with glutamate reduced the activation of PAK1 by an active form of the small G protein Cdc42, suggesting that phosphorylation by OSR1 modulates the G protein sensitivity of PAK isoforms. ..
- Chen Y, Chen W, Cobb M, Zhao Y. PTMap--a sequence alignment software for unrestricted, accurate, and full-spectrum identification of post-translational modification sites. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:761-6 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that PTMap is a powerful algorithm capable of identification of all possible protein PTMs with high confidence. ..
- Frost J, Steen H, Shapiro P, Lewis T, Ahn N, Shaw P, et al. Cross-cascade activation of ERKs and ternary complex factors by Rho family proteins. EMBO J. 1997;16:6426-38 pubmed..This demonstrates interaction among MAP kinase pathway elements not previously recognized and suggests an explanation for the cooperative effect of Raf-1 and Rho family proteins on cellular transformation. ..
- Frost J, Swantek J, Stippec S, Yin M, Gaynor R, Cobb M. Stimulation of NFkappa B activity by multiple signaling pathways requires PAK1. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:19693-9 pubmed..These data demonstrate that PAK1 is a crucial signaling molecule involved in NFkappaB activation by multiple stimuli. ..
- Rhee S, Grinnell F. P21-activated kinase 1: convergence point in PDGF- and LPA-stimulated collagen matrix contraction by human fibroblasts. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:423-32 pubmed..These findings establish a unified framework for understanding the cell signaling pathways involved in fibroblast contraction of floating collagen matrices. ..
- Liu Z, Wang Z, Yanagisawa H, Olson E. Phenotypic modulation of smooth muscle cells through interaction of Foxo4 and myocardin. Dev Cell. 2005;9:261-70 pubmed..We conclude that signal-dependent interaction of Foxo4 with myocardin couples extracellular signals with the transcriptional program for SMC differentiation. ..
- Liu L, Eby M, Rathore N, Sinha S, Kumar A, Chaudhary P. The human herpes virus 8-encoded viral FLICE inhibitory protein physically associates with and persistently activates the Ikappa B kinase complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13745-51 pubmed..Our results suggest that HHV8 vFLIP might contribute to the persistent NF-kappaB activation observed in PEL cells by associating with and stimulating the activity of the cellular IKK complex. ..
- Nishi Y, Lin R. DYRK2 and GSK-3 phosphorylate and promote the timely degradation of OMA-1, a key regulator of the oocyte-to-embryo transition in C. elegans. Dev Biol. 2005;288:139-49 pubmed..elegans. ..
- Dorwart M, Shcheynikov N, Wang Y, Stippec S, Muallem S. SLC26A9 is a Cl(-) channel regulated by the WNK kinases. J Physiol. 2007;584:333-45 pubmed..Expression of SLC26A9 in the airway and the response of the WNKs to homeostatic stress raise the possibility that SLC26A9 serves to mediate the response of the airway to stress. ..
- Gallagher E, Xu S, Moomaw C, Slaughter C, Cobb M. Binding of JNK/SAPK to MEKK1 is regulated by phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:45785-92 pubmed..Phosphorylation of this site inhibits binding of JNK/SAPK to MEKK1. Thus, we propose a mechanism by which the MEKK1-dependent JNK/SAPK pathway is negatively regulated by PAK through phosphorylation of serine 67. ..
- Ren F, Zhang L, Jiang J. Hippo signaling regulates Yorkie nuclear localization and activity through 14-3-3 dependent and independent mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2010;337:303-12 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provided evidence that Hpo signaling restricted Yki nuclear localization depending on CRM1-mediated nuclear export. ..
- Tsuganezawa H, Sato S, Yamaji Y, Preisig P, Moe O, Alpern R. Role of c-SRC and ERK in acid-induced activation of NHE3. Kidney Int. 2002;62:41-50 pubmed..These studies suggest that acidosis activates c-Src and MEK/ERK/c-fos. While both pathways are necessary for activation of NHE3, they are activated independently. ..
- Rogers E, Bishop J, Waddle J, Schumacher J, Lin R. The aurora kinase AIR-2 functions in the release of chromosome cohesion in Caenorhabditis elegans meiosis. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:219-29 pubmed..We propose that AIR-2 promotes the release of chromosome cohesion via phosphorylation of REC-8 at specific chromosomal locations and that CeGLC-7alpha/beta, directly or indirectly, antagonize AIR-2 activity. ..
- English J, Pearson G, Baer R, Cobb M. Identification of substrates and regulators of the mitogen-activated protein kinase ERK5 using chimeric protein kinases. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3854-60 pubmed..Thus, ERK5 is a target of a novel Ras effector pathway that may communicate with c-Myc. ..
- He G, Wang H, Huang S, Huang C. Intersectin links WNK kinases to endocytosis of ROMK1. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1078-87 pubmed..Disease-causing WNK4 mutations enhanced interactions of WNK4 with ITSN and ROMK1, leading to increased endocytosis of ROMK1. These results provide a molecular mechanism for stimulation of endocytosis of ROMK1 by WNK kinases. ..
- Robinson F, Whitehurst A, Raman M, Cobb M. Identification of novel point mutations in ERK2 that selectively disrupt binding to MEK1. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:14844-52 pubmed..These data suggest an essential role for the MAP kinase insert and residues within or just preceding alpha-helix G in the interaction of ERK2 with MEK1/2. ..