Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on progesterone receptors in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Topic: progesterone receptors
- Hyder S, Chiappetta C, Stancel G. Induction of the angiogenic factor VEGF in the uterus by the antiprogestin onapristone. Cancer Lett. 2000;156:101-7 pubmed
- Bai W, Weigel N. Phosphorylation of Ser211 in the chicken progesterone receptor modulates its transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:12801-6 pubmed
- Conneely O, Dobson A, Tsai M, Beattie W, Toft D, Huckaby C, et al. Sequence and expression of a functional chicken progesterone receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 1987;1:517-25 pubmed..Furthermore, the cloned receptor is capable of activating transcription of a target gene. This activation is progesterone dependent (with half-maximal stimulation at approximately 3.3 x 10(-10) M) and specific for the target gene. ..
- Martin M, Hilsenbeck S, Mohsin S, Hopp T, Clark G, Osborne C, et al. Breast tumors that overexpress nuclear metastasis-associated 1 (MTA1) protein have high recurrence risks but enhanced responses to systemic therapies. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2006;95:7-12 pubmed..Tamoxifen and/or anthracylcene-based chemotherapies eliminated all MTA1 associations with clinical outcome, suggesting MTA1 overexpression predicts early disease relapse, but sensitizes breast tumors to systemic therapies. ..
- Pathiraja T, Stearns V, Oesterreich S. Epigenetic regulation in estrogen receptor positive breast cancer--role in treatment response. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2010;15:35-47 pubmed publisher..We will also summarize current clinical-translational advances in epigenetic therapy, and discuss potential future clinical use of epigenetic changes as therapeutic targets, especially with respect to endocrine treatment. ..
- Conneely O, Kettelberger D, Tsai M, Schrader W, O Malley B. The chicken progesterone receptor A and B isoforms are products of an alternate translation initiation event. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:14062-4 pubmed..Both proteins are transcriptionally active in terms of their ability to activate a progesterone-responsive target gene. These results suggest a functional significance for evolutionary conservation of two forms of this steroid receptor. ..
- Auboeuf D, Honig A, Berget S, O Malley B. Coordinate regulation of transcription and splicing by steroid receptor coregulators. Science. 2002;298:416-9 pubmed
- Half E, Tang X, Gwyn K, Sahin A, Wathen K, Sinicrope F. Cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human breast cancers and adjacent ductal carcinoma in situ. Cancer Res. 2002;62:1676-81 pubmed..Our results suggest that nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and selective COX-2 inhibitors may be useful in the chemoprevention and therapy of human breast cancer. ..
- Buzdar A, Douma J, Davidson N, Elledge R, Morgan M, Smith R, et al. Phase III, multicenter, double-blind, randomized study of letrozole, an aromatase inhibitor, for advanced breast cancer versus megestrol acetate. J Clin Oncol. 2001;19:3357-66 pubmed
- Robker R, Russell D, Yoshioka S, Sharma S, Lydon J, O Malley B, et al. Ovulation: a multi-gene, multi-step process. Steroids. 2000;65:559-70 pubmed..Furthermore, mRNAs encoding cathepsin L and ADAMTS-1 are reduced in the PRKO mice compared to their wild-type littermates. These novel observations indicate that these two proteases regulate some key step(s) controlling ovulation. ..
- Grimm S, Seagroves T, Kabotyanski E, Hovey R, Vonderhaar B, Lydon J, et al. Disruption of steroid and prolactin receptor patterning in the mammary gland correlates with a block in lobuloalveolar development. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2675-91 pubmed..Together, these data suggest that C/EBPbeta is a master regulator of mammary epithelial cell fate and that the correct spatial pattern of PR and PrlR expression is a critical determinant of hormone-regulated cell proliferation. ..
- Medina D, Sivaraman L, Hilsenbeck S, Conneely O, Ginger M, Rosen J, et al. Mechanisms of hormonal prevention of breast cancer. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;952:23-35 pubmed
- Russell D, Doyle K, Ochsner S, Sandy J, Richards J. Processing and localization of ADAMTS-1 and proteolytic cleavage of versican during cumulus matrix expansion and ovulation. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:42330-9 pubmed..These observations suggest that one function of ADAMTS-1 in ovulation is to cleave versican in the expanded COC matrix and that the anovulatory phenotype of PRKO mice is at least partially due to loss of this function. ..
- Sawh R, Malpica A, Deavers M, Liu J, Silva E. Benign cystic mesothelioma of the peritoneum: a clinicopathologic study of 17 cases and immunohistochemical analysis of estrogen and progesterone receptor status. Hum Pathol. 2003;34:369-74 pubmed..Hum Pathol 34:369-374...
- Mani S, Reyna A, Chen J, Mulac Jericevic B, Conneely O. Differential response of progesterone receptor isoforms in hormone-dependent and -independent facilitation of female sexual receptivity. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1322-32 pubmed..The data reveal the selective contributions of individual isoforms to the signaling pathways mediating female reproductive behavior. ..
- Knotts T, Orkiszewski R, Cook R, Edwards D, Weigel N. Identification of a phosphorylation site in the hinge region of the human progesterone receptor and additional amino-terminal phosphorylation sites. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:8475-83 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that the phosphorylation of PR is highly complex, with at least 14 phosphorylation sites. ..
- Liedtke C, Broglio K, Moulder S, Hsu L, Kau S, Symmans W, et al. Prognostic impact of discordance between triple-receptor measurements in primary and recurrent breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2009;20:1953-8 pubmed publisher..Discordant cases have poor survival probably due to inappropriate use of targeted therapies. However, biological change in clinical phenotype cannot be completely excluded. ..
- Raso M, Behrens C, Herynk M, Liu S, Prudkin L, Ozburn N, et al. Immunohistochemical expression of estrogen and progesterone receptors identifies a subset of NSCLCs and correlates with EGFR mutation. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:5359-68 pubmed publisher..Estrogen receptor alpha and beta expression distinguishes a subset of NSCLC that has defined clinicopathologic and genetic features. In lung adenocarcinoma, estrogen receptor alpha expression correlates with EGFR mutations. ..
- Narayanan R, Adigun A, Edwards D, Weigel N. Cyclin-dependent kinase activity is required for progesterone receptor function: novel role for cyclin A/Cdk2 as a progesterone receptor coactivator. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:264-77 pubmed
- Dowhan D, Hong E, Auboeuf D, Dennis A, Wilson M, Berget S, et al. Steroid hormone receptor coactivation and alternative RNA splicing by U2AF65-related proteins CAPERalpha and CAPERbeta. Mol Cell. 2005;17:429-39 pubmed..These results indicate that steroid hormone receptor-regulated transcription and pre-mRNA splicing can be directly linked through dual function coactivator molecules such as CAPERalpha and CAPERbeta. ..
- Cui X, Lazard Z, Zhang P, Hopp T, Lee A. Progesterone crosstalks with insulin-like growth factor signaling in breast cancer cells via induction of insulin receptor substrate-2. Oncogene. 2003;22:6937-41 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that IRS-2 may play an important role in crosstalk between progesterone and the IGFs in breast cancer cells. ..
- Ramondetta L, Burke T, Jhingran A, Schmandt R, Bevers M, Wolf J, et al. A phase II trial of cisplatin, ifosfamide, and mesna in patients with advanced or recurrent uterine malignant mixed müllerian tumors with evaluation of potential molecular targets. Gynecol Oncol. 2003;90:529-36 pubmed..HER-2/Neu, Abl, or PDGFR-beta expression may be of value in order to investigate novel multimodality treatment strategies. ..
- Onate S, Boonyaratanakornkit V, Spencer T, Tsai S, Tsai M, Edwards D, et al. The steroid receptor coactivator-1 contains multiple receptor interacting and activation domains that cooperatively enhance the activation function 1 (AF1) and AF2 domains of steroid receptors. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:12101-8 pubmed
- Agoulnik I, Krause W, Bingman W, Rahman H, Amrikachi M, Ayala G, et al. Repressors of androgen and progesterone receptor action. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31136-48 pubmed..We found that although DAX-1 is expressed in normal human prostate, its expression is strongly reduced in benign prostatic hyperplasia suggesting that DAX-1 plays a role in limiting AR activity in prostate. ..
- Natraj U, Richards J. Hormonal regulation, localization, and functional activity of the progesterone receptor in granulosa cells of rat preovulatory follicles. Endocrinology. 1993;133:761-9 pubmed
- Lydon J, DeMayo F, Conneely O, O Malley B. Reproductive phenotpes of the progesterone receptor null mutant mouse. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1996;56:67-77 pubmed
- Liedtke C, Mazouni C, Hess K, Andre F, Tordai A, Mejia J, et al. Response to neoadjuvant therapy and long-term survival in patients with triple-negative breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2008;26:1275-81 pubmed publisher..In this study, we compared response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy and survival between patients with TNBC and non-TNBC...
- Apostolakis E, Ramamurphy M, Zhou D, Onate S, O Malley B. Acute disruption of select steroid receptor coactivators prevents reproductive behavior in rats and unmasks genetic adaptation in knockout mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:1511-23 pubmed..In the genetic, but not acute, absence of SRC-1, up-regulation of SRC-2 serves as a critical adaptive mechanism during female development. ..
- Shimada M, Hernandez Gonzalez I, Gonzalez Robayna I, Richards J. Paracrine and autocrine regulation of epidermal growth factor-like factors in cumulus oocyte complexes and granulosa cells: key roles for prostaglandin synthase 2 and progesterone receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1352-65 pubmed
- Conneely O, Jericevic B, Lydon J. Progesterone receptors in mammary gland development and tumorigenesis. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2003;8:205-14 pubmed
- Doyle K, Russell D, Sriraman V, Richards J. Coordinate transcription of the ADAMTS-1 gene by luteinizing hormone and progesterone receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:2463-78 pubmed..In summary, LH and PRA/B exert distinct but coordinate effects on transactivation of the ADAMTS-1 gene in granulosa cells in vivo and in vitro with PR acting as an inducible coregulator of the ADAMTS-1 gene. ..
- Moore N, Narayanan R, Weigel N. Cyclin dependent kinase 2 and the regulation of human progesterone receptor activity. Steroids. 2007;72:202-9 pubmed
- Russell D, Ochsner S, Hsieh M, Mulders S, Richards J. Hormone-regulated expression and localization of versican in the rodent ovary. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1020-31 pubmed..These observations suggest that versican (V0, V1, and V3) is a matrix component of the granulosa layer throughout folliculogenesis and is enriched in remodeling matrices during ovulation and neovascularization of the corpora lutea. ..
- Rubel C, Jeong J, Tsai S, Lydon J, DeMayo F. Epithelial-stromal interaction and progesterone receptors in the mouse uterus. Semin Reprod Med. 2010;28:27-35 pubmed publisher..By using mouse models of PR signaling, many of these mechanisms are beginning to be elucidated and aid in the development of effective therapies for treatment of uterine diseases. ..
- Said T, Conneely O, Medina D, O Malley B, Lydon J. Progesterone, in addition to estrogen, induces cyclin D1 expression in the murine mammary epithelial cell, in vivo. Endocrinology. 1997;138:3933-9 pubmed
- Ma Z, Liu Z, Ngan E, Tsai S. Cdc25B functions as a novel coactivator for the steroid receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:8056-67 pubmed..This dual function might likely contribute to its oncogenic action in breast cancer. ..
- Nawaz Z, Lonard D, Smith C, Lev Lehman E, Tsai S, Tsai M, et al. The Angelman syndrome-associated protein, E6-AP, is a coactivator for the nuclear hormone receptor superfamily. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:1182-9 pubmed..This finding suggests that the AS phenotype results from a defect in the ubiquitin-proteosome protein degradation pathway. ..
- Peintinger F, Buzdar A, Kuerer H, Mejia J, Hatzis C, Gonzalez Angulo A, et al. Hormone receptor status and pathologic response of HER2-positive breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy and trastuzumab. Ann Oncol. 2008;19:2020-5 pubmed publisher..Patients with HR+/HER2+ breast cancer obtained significant benefit from addition of trastuzumab to P/FEC chemotherapy; pathologic response rate was similar to that seen in HR-/HER2+ breast cancers. ..
- Jenster G, Spencer T, Burcin M, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Steroid receptor induction of gene transcription: a two-step model. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:7879-84 pubmed
- Han S, DeMayo F, Xu J, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Steroid receptor coactivator (SRC)-1 and SRC-3 differentially modulate tissue-specific activation functions of the progesterone receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:45-55 pubmed..SRC-3 is the primary coactivator for PR in breast and SRC-1 is the primary coactivator for PR in uterus. ..
- Liu Z, Wong J, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Steroid receptor coactivator-1 (SRC-1) enhances ligand-dependent and receptor-dependent cell-free transcription of chromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:9485-90 pubmed
- Hsieh M, Mulders S, Friis R, Dharmarajan A, Richards J. Expression and localization of secreted frizzled-related protein-4 in the rodent ovary: evidence for selective up-regulation in luteinized granulosa cells. Endocrinology. 2003;144:4597-606 pubmed..Therefore, regulation of sFRP-4 by LH and PRL may be important for modulating Fz-1, which is known to be expressed in periovulatory follicles, and Wnt-4/Fz-4, which are expressed in corpora lutea. ..
- Minamino T, Gaussin V, DeMayo F, Schneider M. Inducible gene targeting in postnatal myocardium by cardiac-specific expression of a hormone-activated Cre fusion protein. Circ Res. 2001;88:587-92 pubmed..High levels of the chimeric Cre protein, in particular, were associated with progressive recombination in the absence of drug. ..
- Onate S, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Sequence and characterization of a coactivator for the steroid hormone receptor superfamily. Science. 1995;270:1354-7 pubmed..Together, these results indicate that SRC-1 encodes a coactivator that is required for full transcriptional activity of the steroid receptor superfamily. ..
- Seagroves T, Lydon J, Hovey R, Vonderhaar B, Rosen J. C/EBPbeta (CCAAT/enhancer binding protein) controls cell fate determination during mammary gland development. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:359-68 pubmed
- Conneely O, Lydon J, De Mayo F, O Malley B. Reproductive functions of the progesterone receptor. J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2000;7:S25-32 pubmed..This review summarizes the structure and functional properties of the PR isoforms and how functional differences between these proteins are likely to impact on the overall physiologic role of the receptor in reproductive systems. ..
- Ismail P, Li J, DeMayo F, O Malley B, Lydon J. A novel LacZ reporter mouse reveals complex regulation of the progesterone receptor promoter during mammary gland development. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2475-89 pubmed
- Boonyaratanakornkit V, Bi Y, Rudd M, Edwards D. The role and mechanism of progesterone receptor activation of extra-nuclear signaling pathways in regulating gene transcription and cell cycle progression. Steroids. 2008;73:922-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the importance of PR activation of extra-nuclear signaling pathways in regulating selected target genes and cell cycle progression. ..
- White M, Sheffer I, Teeter J, Apostolakis E. Hypothalamic progesterone receptor-A mediates gonadotropin surges, self priming and receptivity in estrogen-primed female mice. J Mol Endocrinol. 2007;38:35-50 pubmed..In all, the findings are consistent with the hypothesis that hypothalamic PR-A-mediated genomic activities result in reproductive behavior coordinated with ovulation. ..
- Franco H, Lee K, Rubel C, Creighton C, White L, Broaddus R, et al. Constitutive activation of smoothened leads to female infertility and altered uterine differentiation in the mouse. Biol Reprod. 2010;82:991-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, constitutive activation of Smo in the mouse uterus alters postnatal uterine differentiation which interferes with early pregnancy. These results provide new insight into the role of Hedgehog signaling during embryo implantation...
- Mani S, Fienberg A, O Callaghan J, Snyder G, Allen P, Dash P, et al. Requirement for DARPP-32 in progesterone-facilitated sexual receptivity in female rats and mice. Science. 2000;287:1053-6 pubmed..P also enhanced phosphorylation of DARPP-32 on threonine 34 in the hypothalamus of mice. DARPP-32 activation is thus an obligatory step in progestin receptor regulation of sexual receptivity in rats and mice. ..
- Zhang Y, Beck C, Poletti A, Edwards D, Weigel N. Identification of phosphorylation sites unique to the B form of human progesterone receptor. In vitro phosphorylation by casein kinase II. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:31034-40 pubmed..Although human PR contains 11 potential CKII consensus sequences, CKII in vitro phosphorylated purified PR-B only at Ser81 suggesting that this may be an authentic site for CKII in vivo. ..
- Soyal S, Mukherjee A, Lee K, Li J, Li H, DeMayo F, et al. Cre-mediated recombination in cell lineages that express the progesterone receptor. Genesis. 2005;41:58-66 pubmed..In the wider context of female reproductive tissue ontology, this model will be indispensable in tracing the developmental fate of cell lineages that descend from PR positive progenitors. ..
- Lydon J, Sivaraman L, Conneely O. A reappraisal of progesterone action in the mammary gland. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 2000;5:325-38 pubmed..The identification of paracrine mediators of the progesterone response is now an imminent goal as is the delineation of the individual contributions of the two PR isoforms using similar approaches. ..
- Rowan B, Weigel N, O Malley B. Phosphorylation of steroid receptor coactivator-1. Identification of the phosphorylation sites and phosphorylation through the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:4475-83 pubmed..These results identify phosphorylation as a regulatory modification of SRC-1 and provide a basis upon which to identify signaling pathways that regulate SRC-1 function and, consequently, modify steroid/nuclear receptor action. ..
- Liu Z, Wong J, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Sequential recruitment of steroid receptor coactivator-1 (SRC-1) and p300 enhances progesterone receptor-dependent initiation and reinitiation of transcription from chromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:12426-31 pubmed..Efficient recruitment of p300 required the presence of SRC-1. In addition, functional analysis of SRC-2 and SRC-3 coactivators indicated that the SRC family modulated PR transactivation from chromatin by a similar mechanism. ..
- Stanisic V, Malovannaya A, Qin J, Lonard D, O Malley B. OTU Domain-containing ubiquitin aldehyde-binding protein 1 (OTUB1) deubiquitinates estrogen receptor (ER) alpha and affects ERalpha transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:16135-45 pubmed publisher..We also show that OTUB1 regulates the availability and functional activity of ERalpha in Ishikawa cells by affecting the transcription of the ERalpha gene and by stabilizing the ERalpha protein in the chromatin. ..
- Hosohata K, Li P, Hosohata Y, Qin J, Roeder R, Wang Z. Purification and identification of a novel complex which is involved in androgen receptor-dependent transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7019-29 pubmed..p44 expression is dramatically enhanced in prostate cancer tissue compared with adjacent benign prostate tissue. ..
- Wang X, Liefer K, Tsai S, O Malley B, Roop D. Development of gene-switch transgenic mice that inducibly express transforming growth factor beta1 in the epidermis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:8483-8 pubmed..Given that the TGFbeta1 transgene can affect both the epidermis and dermis, this transgenic model will provide a useful tool for studying roles of TGFbeta1 in wound-healing and skin carcinogenesis in the future. ..
- Gonzalez Angulo A, Litton J, Broglio K, Meric Bernstam F, Rakkhit R, Cardoso F, et al. High risk of recurrence for patients with breast cancer who have human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive, node-negative tumors 1 cm or smaller. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:5700-6 pubmed publisher..Patients with HER2-positive T1abN0M0 tumors have a significant risk of relapse and should be considered for systemic, anti-HER2, adjuvant therapy. ..
- Lydon J, DeMayo F, Funk C, Mani S, Hughes A, Montgomery C, et al. Mice lacking progesterone receptor exhibit pleiotropic reproductive abnormalities. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2266-78 pubmed..Collectively, these results provide direct support for progesterone's role as a pleiotropic coordinator of diverse reproductive events that together ensure species survival. ..
- Bagchi M, Tsai S, Tsai M, O Malley B. Ligand and DNA-dependent phosphorylation of human progesterone receptor in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:2664-8 pubmed..We postulate that ligand and DNA-dependent phosphorylation of PR is an important functional event in the process leading to receptor-mediated transactivation of target genes. ..
- Wong K, Lu K, Malpica A, Bodurka D, Shvartsman H, Schmandt R, et al. Significantly greater expression of ER, PR, and ECAD in advanced-stage low-grade ovarian serous carcinoma as revealed by immunohistochemical analysis. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2007;26:404-9 pubmed..These differences may lead to the development of different therapeutic strategies for women with either the low-grade or the high-grade form of OSC...
- Tham Y, Sexton K, Kramer R, Hilsenbeck S, Elledge R. Primary breast cancer phenotypes associated with propensity for central nervous system metastases. Cancer. 2006;107:696-704 pubmed..HER-2 expression and adjuvant systemic therapies did not increase this risk. ..
- Maxwell B, McDonnell D, Conneely O, Schulz T, Greene G, O Malley B. Structural organization and regulation of the chicken estrogen receptor. Mol Endocrinol. 1987;1:25-35 pubmed..Detailed comparisons of these regions for the steroid hormone receptors and v-erb A are presented. Possible functions for the individual regions of high homology are discussed. ..
- Mukherjee A, Soyal S, Fernandez Valdivia R, Gehin M, Chambon P, DeMayo F, et al. Steroid receptor coactivator 2 is critical for progesterone-dependent uterine function and mammary morphogenesis in the mouse. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:6571-83 pubmed..We conclude that SRC-2 is appropriated by PR in a subset of transcriptional cascades obligate for normal uterine and mammary morphogenesis and function. ..
- Robker R, Russell D, Espey L, Lydon J, O Malley B, Richards J. Progesterone-regulated genes in the ovulation process: ADAMTS-1 and cathepsin L proteases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:4689-94 pubmed
- Richards J, Hernandez Gonzalez I, Gonzalez Robayna I, Teuling E, Lo Y, Boerboom D, et al. Regulated expression of ADAMTS family members in follicles and cumulus oocyte complexes: evidence for specific and redundant patterns during ovulation. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1241-55 pubmed
- Tibbetts T, Conneely O, O Malley B. Progesterone via its receptor antagonizes the pro-inflammatory activity of estrogen in the mouse uterus. Biol Reprod. 1999;60:1158-65 pubmed..Together, these observations demonstrate that PR has a strong anti-inflammatory role in the mouse uterus when estrogen and P4 are present together. ..