Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on ovary in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
- Havelock J, Smith A, Seely J, Dooley C, Rodgers R, Rainey W, et al. The NGFI-B family of transcription factors regulates expression of 3beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in the human ovary. Mol Hum Reprod. 2005;11:79-85 pubmed..Therefore, our data suggest that the NGFI-B may play a significant role in up-regulation of HSD3B2 that leads to the increase in progesterone production that is seen in granulosa cells at ovulation. ..
- Jeyasuria P, Ikeda Y, Jamin S, Zhao L, de Rooij D, Themmen A, et al. Cell-specific knockout of steroidogenic factor 1 reveals its essential roles in gonadal function. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1610-9 pubmed..Collectively, these studies establish definitively that SF-1 expression in the gonads is essential for normal reproductive development and function. ..
- Chen D, McKearin D. Dpp signaling silences bam transcription directly to establish asymmetric divisions of germline stem cells. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1786-91 pubmed..These studies provide a simple mechanistic explanation for how stromal cell signals regulate both the self-renewal and asymmetric fates of the products of stem cell division. ..
- Stallings N, Hanley N, Majdic G, Zhao L, Bakke M, Parker K. Development of a transgenic green fluorescent protein lineage marker for steroidogenic factor 1. Endocr Res. 2002;28:497-504 pubmed..The SF-1/eGFP transgene provides a valuable tool to expand our understanding of the actions of SF-1 in endocrine development and function...
- Hasegawa T, Zhao L, Caron K, Majdic G, Suzuki T, Shizawa S, et al. Developmental roles of the steroidogenic acute regulatory protein (StAR) as revealed by StAR knockout mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2000;14:1462-71 pubmed..These studies provide the first systematic evaluation of the developmental consequences of StAR deficiency in the various steroidogenic organs. ..
- Ito Y, Fisher C, Conte F, Grumbach M, Simpson E. Molecular basis of aromatase deficiency in an adult female with sexual infantilism and polycystic ovaries. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1993;90:11673-7 pubmed..Recognition that such defects exist will lead to a better understanding of the role of this enzyme in human development and disease. ..
- Malki S, van der Heijden G, O Donnell K, Martin S, Bortvin A. A role for retrotransposon LINE-1 in fetal oocyte attrition in mice. Dev Cell. 2014;29:521-533 pubmed publisher..We propose that FOA serves to select oocytes with limited L1 activity that are therefore best suited for the next generation...
- Stallings N, Hanley N, Majdic G, Zhao L, Bakke M, Parker K. Development of a transgenic green fluorescent protein lineage marker for steroidogenic factor 1. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2360-70 pubmed
- Sirianni R, Seely J, Attia G, Stocco D, Carr B, Pezzi V, et al. Liver receptor homologue-1 is expressed in human steroidogenic tissues and activates transcription of genes encoding steroidogenic enzymes. J Endocrinol. 2002;174:R13-7 pubmed..Of the promoters examined only HSD3B2 was more sensitive to LRH than SF1. The high level of ovarian and testicular LRH expression make it likely that LRH plays an important role in the regulation of gonadal function. ..
- Neumann J, Chandler G, Damoulis V, Fustino N, Lillard K, Looijenga L, et al. Mutation in the type IB bone morphogenetic protein receptor Alk6b impairs germ-cell differentiation and causes germ-cell tumors in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:13153-8 pubmed publisher..These results indicate a germ-cell-autonomous role for BMP signal transduction in germ-cell differentiation, and highlight the importance of the BMP pathway in human GCTs...
- Lutz L, Cole L, Gupta M, Kwist K, Auchus R, Hammes S. Evidence that androgens are the primary steroids produced by Xenopus laevis ovaries and may signal through the classical androgen receptor to promote oocyte maturation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:13728-33 pubmed..Androgens are thought to play an important role in ovarian development as well as pathology, and signaling through the AR may prove to be a major regulatory mechanism mediating these processes. ..
- Patel S, Beshay V, Escobar J, Carr B. 17?-Hydroxylase (CYP17) expression and subsequent androstenedione production in the human ovary. Reprod Sci. 2010;17:978-86 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the pivotal role of c-Fos in controlling the expression of CYP17 and hence androgen production in various organ systems throughout the human body. ..
- Zhang Y, Word R, Fesmire S, Carr B, Rainey W. Human ovarian expression of 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1, 2, and 3. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996;81:3594-8 pubmed..Secondly, androgenic 17 beta HSD3 is not expressed in the human ovary. Thus testosterone production within the human ovary, occurring under physiological conditions, arises from either the 17 beta HSD1 or an uncharacterized isozyme. ..
- Corbin I, Ng K, Ding L, Jurisicova A, Zheng G. Near-infrared fluorescent imaging of metastatic ovarian cancer using folate receptor-targeted high-density lipoprotein nanocarriers. Nanomedicine (Lond). 2013;8:875-90 pubmed publisher..The authors' findings demonstrate that the combination of local-regional ip. administration and FR-?-directed nanoparticles provides an enhanced approach to selectively targeting ovarian cancer cells for drug treatment. ..
- Li Y, Minor N, Park J, McKearin D, Maines J. Bam and Bgcn antagonize Nanos-dependent germ-line stem cell maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9304-9 pubmed publisher..These findings emphasize the importance of translational repression in balancing stem cell self-renewal and differentiation. ..
- Li Y, Maines J, Tastan O, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-P26 regulates the maintenance of ovarian germline stem cells by promoting BMP signaling. Development. 2012;139:1547-56 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Mei-P26 has distinct functions in the ovary and participates in regulating the fates of both GSCs and their differentiating daughters. ..
- Nakada D, Oguro H, Levi B, Ryan N, Kitano A, Saitoh Y, et al. Oestrogen increases haematopoietic stem-cell self-renewal in females and during pregnancy. Nature. 2014;505:555-8 pubmed publisher..Oestrogen/ER? signalling promotes haematopoietic stem-cell self-renewal, expanding splenic haematopoietic stem cells and erythropoiesis during pregnancy. ..
- Zeng Y, Lehrman M. A block at Man5GlcNAc2-pyrophosphoryldolichol in intact but not disrupted castanospermine and swainsonine-resistant Chinese hamster ovary cells. J Biol Chem. 1990;265:2296-305 pubmed..Since the defect was manifested in vivo but not in vitro, this requirement appears necessary for intact cells but not for disrupted cells or isolated membranes. ..
- Nef S, Verma Kurvari S, Merenmies J, Vassalli J, Efstratiadis A, Accili D, et al. Testis determination requires insulin receptor family function in mice. Nature. 2003;426:291-5 pubmed..Reduced expression of both Sry and the early testis-specific marker Sox9 indicates that the insulin signalling pathway is required for male sex determination. ..
- Zhao L, Bakke M, Parker K. Pituitary-specific knockout of steroidogenic factor 1. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2001;185:27-32 pubmed..The pituitary-specific SF-1 knockout mice are a novel genetic model of hypogonadotropic hypogonadism and establish essential roles of SF-1 in gonadotropin expression. ..
- Lehrman M, Zeng Y. Pleiotropic resistance to glycoprotein processing inhibitors in Chinese hamster ovary cells. The role of a novel mutation in the asparagine-linked glycosylation pathway. J Biol Chem. 1989;264:1584-93 pubmed..We propose that this phenotype be termed PIR, for processing inhibitor resistance...
- Yang W, Hammes S. Xenopus laevis CYP17 regulates androgen biosynthesis independent of the cofactor cytochrome b5. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:10196-201 pubmed..CYP17 may therefore have evolved from a general producer of sex steroids in lower vertebrates to a more tightly regulated producer of both sex steroids and glucocorticoids in mammals. ..
- Tan O, Carr B, Beshay V, Bukulmez O. The extrapituitary effects of GnRH antagonists and their potential clinical implications: a narrated review. Reprod Sci. 2013;20:16-25 pubmed publisher..Comparative clinical data are required to explore their systemic effects on various extrapituitary tissues such as on cardiac function in the long term as well as their potential use in other human cancers that express GnRH receptors...
- Pelusi C, Ikeda Y, Zubair M, Parker K. Impaired follicle development and infertility in female mice lacking steroidogenic factor 1 in ovarian granulosa cells. Biol Reprod. 2008;79:1074-83 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that SF-1 has a key role in female reproduction via essential actions in granulosa cells. ..
- Kim K, Li S, Zhao H, Peng B, Tobet S, Elmquist J, et al. CNS-specific ablation of steroidogenic factor 1 results in impaired female reproductive function. Mol Endocrinol. 2010;24:1240-50 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results highlight that SF-1 in the VMH plays crucial roles in regulation of female reproductive function, presumably by organizing a precise neuronal connection and communication in and around the VMH. ..
- Kim J, Peng N, Rainey W, Carr B, Attia G. Liver receptor homolog-1 regulates the expression of steroidogenic acute regulatory protein in human granulosa cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:3042-7 pubmed..We hypothesize that LRH-1 could be the major transcription factor responsible for the rapid and significant increase in ovarian StAR gene expression after ovulation. ..
- Eliazer S, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Loss of lysine-specific demethylase 1 nonautonomously causes stem cell tumors in the Drosophila ovary. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:7064-9 pubmed publisher..The role of Lsd1 in regulating niche-specific signals may have important implications for understanding how disruption of its mammalian homolog contributes to cancer and metastasis. ..
- Clark K, McKearin D. The Drosophila stonewall gene encodes a putative transcription factor essential for germ cell development. Development. 1996;122:937-50 pubmed..We suggest that Stonewall transcriptional regulation is essential in cystocytes for maturation into specialized nurse cells and oocyte. ..
- Li Y, Zhang Q, Carreira Rosario A, Maines J, McKearin D, Buszczak M. Mei-p26 cooperates with Bam, Bgcn and Sxl to promote early germline development in the Drosophila ovary. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58301 pubmed publisher..Together with recently published studies, these data suggest that Mei-P26 mediates both GSC self-renewal and germline differentiation through distinct modes of translational repression depending on the presence of Bam...
- McPhaul M, Noble J, Simpson E, Mendelson C, Wilson J. The expression of a functional cDNA encoding the chicken cytochrome P-450arom (aromatase) that catalyzes the formation of estrogen from androgen. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:16358-63 pubmed..These findings establish that the cDNA clone encodes chicken ovarian aromatase and demonstrate that this protein can catalyze the three successive oxidation reactions necessary to form estrogen from androgen. ..
- Carreira Rosario A, Bhargava V, Hillebrand J, Kollipara R, Ramaswami M, Buszczak M. Repression of Pumilio Protein Expression by Rbfox1 Promotes Germ Cell Differentiation. Dev Cell. 2016;36:562-71 pubmed publisher..The finding that Rbfox proteins regulate mRNA translation has implications for Rbfox-related diseases. ..
- Bukulmez O, Hardy D, Carr B, Word R, Mendelson C. Inflammatory status influences aromatase and steroid receptor expression in endometriosis. Endocrinology. 2008;149:1190-204 pubmed..PR-A protein was barely detectable in endometriomas. Thus, whereas PR-C may enhance disease progression, up-regulation of ERbeta may play an antiinflammatory and opposing role. ..
- Bingham N, Verma Kurvari S, Parada L, Parker K. Development of a steroidogenic factor 1/Cre transgenic mouse line. Genesis. 2006;44:419-24 pubmed..This transgene provides a powerful tool to inactivate genes of interest in these tissues...
- Zhang Q, Shalaby N, Buszczak M. Changes in rRNA transcription influence proliferation and cell fate within a stem cell lineage. Science. 2014;343:298-301 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that modulating rRNA synthesis fosters changes in the cell fate, growth, and proliferation of female Drosophila GSCs and their daughters. ..