Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on osteoblasts in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
- Luo G, D SOUZA R, Hogue D, Karsenty G. The matrix Gla protein gene is a marker of the chondrogenesis cell lineage during mouse development. J Bone Miner Res. 1995;10:325-34 pubmed..This finding raises the intriguing possibility that MGP may play distinct roles during embryogenesis and in the adult organism. ..
- Ducy P, Amling M, Takeda S, Priemel M, Schilling A, Beil F, et al. Leptin inhibits bone formation through a hypothalamic relay: a central control of bone mass. Cell. 2000;100:197-207 pubmed..This study identifies leptin as a potent inhibitor of bone formation acting through the central nervous system and therefore describes the central nature of bone mass control and its disorders. ..
- Wei Y, Chen Y, Li L, Lang J, Yeh S, Shi B, et al. CDK1-dependent phosphorylation of EZH2 suppresses methylation of H3K27 and promotes osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:87-94 pubmed publisher..These findings define a signalling link between CDK1 and EZH2 that may have an important role in diverse biological processes, including cancer-cell invasion and osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. ..
- Yang X, Karsenty G. ATF4, the osteoblast accumulation of which is determined post-translationally, can induce osteoblast-specific gene expression in non-osteoblastic cells. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47109-14 pubmed..This study also establishes that ATF4, like other osteoblast differentiation factors, such as Runx2 and Osterix, has the ability to induce osteoblast-specific gene expression in non-osteoblastic cells. ..
- Huang C, Lira C, Chu K, Bilen M, Lee Y, Ye X, et al. Cadherin-11 increases migration and invasion of prostate cancer cells and enhances their interaction with osteoblasts. Cancer Res. 2010;70:4580-9 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that cadherin-11 not only provides a physical link between PCa cells and osteoblasts but also increases PCa cell motility and invasiveness that may facilitate the metastatic colonization of PCa cells in bone. ..
- Ducy P, Geoffroy V, Karsenty G. Study of osteoblast-specific expression of one mouse osteocalcin gene: characterization of the factor binding to OSE2. Connect Tissue Res. 1996;35:7-14 pubmed..Thus, this study presents evidence that OSF2 is a member of the PEBP2 alpha family of transcription factors. ..
- Bialek P, Kern B, Yang X, Schrock M, Sosic D, Hong N, et al. A twist code determines the onset of osteoblast differentiation. Dev Cell. 2004;6:423-35 pubmed..In vivo mutagenesis confirms the antiosteogenic function of the Twist box. Thus, relief of inhibition by Twist proteins is a mandatory event precluding osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Nakashima K, de Crombrugghe B. Transcriptional mechanisms in osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Trends Genet. 2003;19:458-66 pubmed..We also discuss recent progress in studies of other transcription factors that affect skeletal patterning and development. ..
- Lin S, Lee Y, Yu G, Cheng C, Zhou X, Chu K, et al. Endothelial-to-Osteoblast Conversion Generates Osteoblastic Metastasis of Prostate Cancer. Dev Cell. 2017;41:467-480.e3 pubmed publisher..Thus, tumor-induced EC-to-OSB conversion is one mechanism that leads to osteoblastic bone metastasis of PCa. ..
- Zhou G, Zheng Q, Engin F, Munivez E, Chen Y, Sebald E, et al. Dominance of SOX9 function over RUNX2 during skeletogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:19004-9 pubmed..In summary, SOX9 is dominant over RUNX2 function in mesenchymal precursors that are destined for a chondrogenic lineage during endochondral ossification...
- Zhang R, Ducy P, Karsenty G. 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 inhibits Osteocalcin expression in mouse through an indirect mechanism. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:110-6 pubmed
- Mao J, Yang T, Gu Z, Heird W, Finegold M, Lee B, et al. aP2-Cre-mediated inactivation of acetyl-CoA carboxylase 1 causes growth retardation and reduced lipid accumulation in adipose tissues. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:17576-81 pubmed publisher..The downregulation of ACC1 on osteoblastogenesis may be the cause for the osteopenia phenotype of FACC1KO bone homeostasis. ..
- Lee D, Su J, Kim H, Chang B, Papatsenko D, Zhao R, et al. Modeling familial cancer with induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell. 2015;161:240-54 pubmed publisher..In summary, these findings demonstrate the feasibility of studying inherited human cancer syndromes with iPSCs. ..
- Bae Y, Yang T, Zeng H, Campeau P, Chen Y, Bertin T, et al. miRNA-34c regulates Notch signaling during bone development. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:2991-3000 pubmed publisher..Therefore, understanding the functional interaction of miR-34 and Notch signaling in normal bone development and in bone cancer could potentially lead to therapies modulating miR-34 signaling. ..
- Fu L, Patel M, Bradley A, Wagner E, Karsenty G. The molecular clock mediates leptin-regulated bone formation. Cell. 2005;122:803-15 pubmed..Thus, leptin determines the extent of bone formation by modulating, via sympathetic signaling, osteoblast proliferation through two antagonistic pathways, one of which involves the molecular clock. ..
- Ducy P, Karsenty G. Two distinct osteoblast-specific cis-acting elements control expression of a mouse osteocalcin gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1995;15:1858-69 pubmed..We speculate that these two elements may be important at several stages of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Holtorf H, Jansen J, Mikos A. Ectopic bone formation in rat marrow stromal cell/titanium fiber mesh scaffold constructs: effect of initial cell phenotype. Biomaterials. 2005;26:6208-16 pubmed
- Vakar Lopez F, Cheng C, Kim J, Shi G, Troncoso P, Tu S, et al. Up-regulation of MDA-BF-1, a secreted isoform of ErbB3, in metastatic prostate cancer cells and activated osteoblasts in bone marrow. J Pathol. 2004;203:688-95 pubmed..These observations indicate that MDA-BF-1 is up-regulated in metastatic PCa and raise the interesting possibility that MDA-BF-1 may play a role in the metastasis and progression of PCa, particularly in bone. ..
- Ducy P, Zhang R, Geoffroy V, Ridall A, Karsenty G. Osf2/Cbfa1: a transcriptional activator of osteoblast differentiation. Cell. 1997;89:747-54 pubmed..This study identifies Osf2/Cbfa1 as an osteoblast-specific transcription factor and as a regulator of osteoblast differentiation. ..
- Peleg S, Ismail A, Uskokovic M, Avnur Z. Evidence for tissue- and cell-type selective activation of the vitamin D receptor by Ro-26-9228, a noncalcemic analog of vitamin D3. J Cell Biochem. 2003;88:267-73 pubmed..These results suggest that the cellular environment of intestinal cells, unlike that of osteoblasts, represses the ability of VDR-Ro-26-9228 complexes to interact with transcription partners. ..
- Elefteriou F, Benson M, Sowa H, Starbuck M, Liu X, Ron D, et al. ATF4 mediation of NF1 functions in osteoblast reveals a nutritional basis for congenital skeletal dysplasiae. Cell Metab. 2006;4:441-51 pubmed..By showing that ATF4-dependent skeletal dysplasiae are treatable by dietary manipulations, this study reveals a molecular connection between nutrition and skeletal development...
- Sun X, Su J, Bao J, Peng T, Zhang L, Zhang Y, et al. Cytokine combination therapy prediction for bone remodeling in tissue engineering based on the intracellular signaling pathway. Biomaterials. 2012;33:8265-76 pubmed publisher..We revealed the characteristics of cytokine combinations of Wnt/BMP2 which could be used to guide the design of in vivo bone scaffolds and the clinical treatment of some diseases such as osteoporosis. ..
- Ducy P. Cbfa1: a molecular switch in osteoblast biology. Dev Dyn. 2000;219:461-71 pubmed..Thus, Cbfa1 is a critical gene not only for osteoblast differentiation but also for osteoblast function. These aspects, as well as the more recent progresses in understanding Cbfa1 biology, are the focuses of this review...
- Lee Y, Huang C, Murshed M, Chu K, Araujo J, Ye X, et al. Src family kinase/abl inhibitor dasatinib suppresses proliferation and enhances differentiation of osteoblasts. Oncogene. 2010;29:3196-207 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of either Src or Abl by lenti-shRNA in osteoblasts enhances osteoblast differentiation, suggesting that dasatinib enhances osteoblast differentiation through inhibition of both Src and Abl. ..
- Rossert J, Chen S, Eberspaecher H, Smith C, de Crombrugghe B. Identification of a minimal sequence of the mouse pro-alpha 1(I) collagen promoter that confers high-level osteoblast expression in transgenic mice and that binds a protein selectively present in osteoblasts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:1027-31 pubmed..A mutation in the A segment that abolished the binding of this osteoblast-specific protein also abolished lacZ expression in osteoblasts of transgenic mice. ..
- Akiyama H, Kim J, Nakashima K, Balmes G, Iwai N, Deng J, et al. Osteo-chondroprogenitor cells are derived from Sox9 expressing precursors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:14665-70 pubmed..Thus, our results strongly suggest that all osteo-chondroprogenitor cells, as well as progenitors in a variety of tissues, are derived from Sox9-expressing precursors during mouse embryogenesis. ..
- Zhang C, Cho K, Huang Y, Lyons J, Zhou X, Sinha K, et al. Inhibition of Wnt signaling by the osteoblast-specific transcription factor Osterix. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6936-41 pubmed publisher..Our results add a layer of control to Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in bone. ..
- Gabbay K, Bohren K, Morello R, Bertin T, Liu J, Vogel P. Ascorbate synthesis pathway: dual role of ascorbate in bone homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:19510-20 pubmed publisher..Although humans have lost the ability to synthesize ASC, our mouse models suggest the mechanisms by which suboptimal ASC availability facilitates the development of osteoporosis, which has important implications for human osteoporosis. ..
- Baba O, Qin C, Brunn J, Jones J, Wygant J, McIntyre B, et al. Detection of dentin sialoprotein in rat periodontium. Eur J Oral Sci. 2004;112:163-70 pubmed..Together, these observations suggest that DSP is involved in formation of the periodontium as well as tooth structures...
- Schinke T, Karsenty G. Characterization of Osf1, an osteoblast-specific transcription factor binding to a critical cis-acting element in the mouse Osteocalcin promoters. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:30182-9 pubmed
- Engin F, Yao Z, Yang T, Zhou G, Bertin T, Jiang M, et al. Dimorphic effects of Notch signaling in bone homeostasis. Nat Med. 2008;14:299-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings highlight the potential dimorphic effects of Notch signaling in bone homeostasis and may provide direction for novel therapeutic applications. ..
- Li Z, Mathew P, Yang J, Starbuck M, Zurita A, Liu J, et al. Androgen receptor-negative human prostate cancer cells induce osteogenesis in mice through FGF9-mediated mechanisms. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:2697-710 pubmed publisher..Androgen receptor-null cells may contribute to the castration-resistant osteoblastic progression of prostate cancer cells in bone and provide a preclinical model for studying therapies that target these cells. ..
- Mori Akiyama Y, Akiyama H, Rowitch D, de Crombrugghe B. Sox9 is required for determination of the chondrogenic cell lineage in the cranial neural crest. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9360-5 pubmed..We hypothesize that these cells change their cell fate and acquire the ability to differentiate into osteoblasts. We conclude that Sox9 is required for the determination of the chondrogenic lineage in CNC cells. ..
- Li Z, Yang J, Vazquez E, Rose D, Vakar Lopez F, Mathew P, et al. Low-density lipoprotein receptor-related protein 5 (LRP5) mediates the prostate cancer-induced formation of new bone. Oncogene. 2008;27:596-603 pubmed..We conclude that MDA PCa 2b induces new bone formation through Wnt canonical signaling, that LRP5 mediates this effect, and that DKK1 is involved in the balance between bone formation and resorption that determines lesion phenotype. ..
- Dacquin R, Mee P, Kawaguchi J, Olmsted Davis E, Gallagher J, Nichols J, et al. Knock-in of nuclear localised beta-galactosidase reveals that the tyrosine phosphatase Ptprv is specifically expressed in cells of the bone collar. Dev Dyn. 2004;229:826-34 pubmed..The specificity of Ptprv expression in these cells may be a useful tool to elucidate their role in the transition of skeletal elements from cartilage template to bone. ..
- Yang X, Matsuda K, Bialek P, Jacquot S, Masuoka H, Schinke T, et al. ATF4 is a substrate of RSK2 and an essential regulator of osteoblast biology; implication for Coffin-Lowry Syndrome. Cell. 2004;117:387-98 pubmed..These findings identify ATF4 as a critical regulator of osteoblast differentiation and function, and indicate that lack of ATF4 phosphorylation by RSK2 may contribute to the skeletal phenotype of CLS. ..
- Elefteriou F, Ahn J, Takeda S, Starbuck M, Yang X, Liu X, et al. Leptin regulation of bone resorption by the sympathetic nervous system and CART. Nature. 2005;434:514-20 pubmed..Our study establishes that leptin-regulated neural pathways control both aspects of bone remodelling, and demonstrates that integrity of sympathetic signalling is necessary for the increase in bone resorption caused by gonadal failure. ..
- Kato M, Patel M, Levasseur R, Lobov I, Chang B, Glass D, et al. Cbfa1-independent decrease in osteoblast proliferation, osteopenia, and persistent embryonic eye vascularization in mice deficient in Lrp5, a Wnt coreceptor. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:303-14 pubmed..Moreover, these features recapitulate human osteoporosis-pseudoglioma syndrome, caused by LRP5 inactivation. ..
- Xie X, Qin J, Lin S, Tsai S, Tsai M. Nuclear receptor chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II (COUP-TFII) modulates mesenchymal cell commitment and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14843-8 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide insight into the mechanisms whereby a single nuclear receptor can fine-tune the lineage-specific differentiation of a progenitor cell. ..
- Nakashima K, Zhou X, Kunkel G, Zhang Z, Deng J, Behringer R, et al. The novel zinc finger-containing transcription factor osterix is required for osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Cell. 2002;108:17-29 pubmed..Thus, Osx acts downstream of Runx2/Cbfa1. Because Osx null preosteoblasts express typical chondrocyte marker genes, we propose that Runx2/Cbfa1-expressing preosteoblasts are still bipotential cells. ..
- Lee B, Thirunavukkarasu K, Zhou L, Pastore L, Baldini A, Hecht J, et al. Missense mutations abolishing DNA binding of the osteoblast-specific transcription factor OSF2/CBFA1 in cleidocranial dysplasia. Nat Genet. 1997;16:307-10 pubmed..Thus, these results together suggest that CCD is produced by haploinsufficiency of OSF2/CBFA1 and provide direct genetic evidence that the phenotype is secondary to an alteration of osteoblast differentiation...
- Pourebrahim R, Zhang Y, Liu B, Gao R, Xiong S, Lin P, et al. Integrative genome analysis of somatic p53 mutant osteosarcomas identifies Ets2-dependent regulation of small nucleolar RNAs by mutant p53 protein. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1847-1857 pubmed publisher..In summary, our studies identify Ets2 inhibition as a potential therapeutic vulnerability in p53 mutant osteosarcomas. ..
- Mohamedali K, Li Z, Starbuck M, Wan X, Yang J, Kim S, et al. Inhibition of prostate cancer osteoblastic progression with VEGF121/rGel, a single agent targeting osteoblasts, osteoclasts, and tumor neovasculature. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:2328-38 pubmed publisher..Targeting VEGF receptor (VEGFR)-1- or VEGFR-2-expressing cells is effective in controlling the osteoblastic progression of PCa in bone. These findings provide the basis for an effective multitargeted approach for metastatic PCa. ..
- Zhou X, Zhang Z, Feng J, Dusevich V, Sinha K, Zhang H, et al. Multiple functions of Osterix are required for bone growth and homeostasis in postnatal mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:12919-24 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies Osx as an essential multifunctional player in postnatal bone growth and homeostasis...
- Lin S, Cheng C, Lee Y, Ye X, Tsai W, Kim J, et al. A 45-kDa ErbB3 secreted by prostate cancer cells promotes bone formation. Oncogene. 2008;27:5195-203 pubmed publisher..These observations establish that p45-sErbB3 is a structurally and functionally unique gene product of ErbB3 and suggest that p45-sErbB3 is likely one of the factors involved in the osteoblastic bone metastases of prostate cancer. ..
- Zhang W, Ju J, Rigney T, TRIBBLE G. Integrin ?5?1-fimbriae binding and actin rearrangement are essential for Porphyromonas gingivalis invasion of osteoblasts and subsequent activation of the JNK pathway. BMC Microbiol. 2013;13:5 pubmed publisher..The identification of molecules critical to the interaction between P. gingivalis and osteoblasts will facilitate the development of new therapeutic strategies for the prevention of periodontal bone loss. ..
- Sinha K, Yasuda H, Coombes M, Dent S, de Crombrugghe B. Regulation of the osteoblast-specific transcription factor Osterix by NO66, a Jumonji family histone demethylase. EMBO J. 2010;29:68-79 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that interactions between NO66 and Osx regulate Osx-target genes in osteoblasts by modulating histone methylation states. ..
- Noda K, Kitami M, Kitami K, Kaku M, Komatsu Y. Canonical and noncanonical intraflagellar transport regulates craniofacial skeletal development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:E2589-97 pubmed publisher..Our study introduces a unique perspective on the canonical and noncanonical functions of IFT20 in craniofacial skeletal development. ..
- Geoffroy V, Ducy P, Karsenty G. A PEBP2 alpha/AML-1-related factor increases osteocalcin promoter activity through its binding to an osteoblast-specific cis-acting element. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:30973-9 pubmed