Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on islets of langerhans in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
Topic: islets of langerhans
- Shao C, Cobb M. Sumoylation regulates the transcriptional activity of MafA in pancreatic beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3117-24 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that modification of MafA by SUMO modulates gene transcription and thereby beta cell function. ..
- Samli K, McGuire M, Newgard C, Johnston S, Brown K. Peptide-mediated targeting of the islets of Langerhans. Diabetes. 2005;54:2103-8 pubmed..Furthermore, this peptide does not target beta-cells in a type 2 diabetes animal model, suggesting that the peptide can discriminate between glucose-stimulated insulin secretion-functional and -dysfunctional beta-cells. ..
- Hughes S, Quaade C, Milburn J, Cassidy L, Newgard C. Expression of normal and novel glucokinase mRNAs in anterior pituitary and islet cells. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:4521-30 pubmed..We conclude that glucokinase expression in AtT20ins cells may be necessary, but is not sufficient to confer glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. ..
- Khoo S, Griffen S, Xia Y, Baer R, German M, Cobb M. Regulation of insulin gene transcription by ERK1 and ERK2 in pancreatic beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32969-77 pubmed..Phosphorylation increases their functional activity and results in a cumulative transactivation of the promoter. Thus, ERK1/2 act at multiple points to transduce a glucose signal to insulin gene transcription. ..
- Mizumoto N, Takashima A. CD1a and langerin: acting as more than Langerhans cell markers. J Clin Invest. 2004;113:658-60 pubmed
- Arnette D, Gibson T, Lawrence M, January B, Khoo S, McGlynn K, et al. Regulation of ERK1 and ERK2 by glucose and peptide hormones in pancreatic beta cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32517-25 pubmed..The glucose-sensitive mechanism is distinct from that used by phorbol ester or insulin to stimulate ERK1/2 but shares common features with that used by GLP-1. ..
- Hugl S, White M, Rhodes C. Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I)-stimulated pancreatic beta-cell growth is glucose-dependent. Synergistic activation of insulin receptor substrate-mediated signal transduction pathways by glucose and IGF-I in INS-1 cells. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:17771-9 pubmed..The glucose dependence of IGF-I mediated INS-1 cell proliferation emphasizes beta-cell signaling mechanisms are rather unique in being tightly linked to glycolytic metabolic flux. ..
- Itoh T, Takita M, Sorelle J, Shimoda M, Sugimoto K, Chujo D, et al. Correlation of released HMGB1 levels with the degree of islet damage in mice and humans and with the outcomes of islet transplantation in mice. Cell Transplant. 2012;21:1371-81 pubmed..Hence, released HMGB1 levels from islets should be a useful marker to evaluate the potency of isolated islets...
- Cui Y, Huang L, Elefteriou F, Yang G, Shelton J, Giles J, et al. Essential role of STAT3 in body weight and glucose homeostasis. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:258-69 pubmed..These data thus suggest that loss of STAT3 in the hypothalamus caused by RIP-Cre action likely interferes with normal body weight homeostasis and glucose metabolism. ..
- Duplomb L, Lee Y, Wang M, Park B, Takaishi K, Agarwal A, et al. Increased expression and activity of 11beta-HSD-1 in diabetic islets and prevention with troglitazone. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2004;313:594-9 pubmed..We conclude that 11beta-HSD-1 expression and activity are increased in islets of diabetic, but not prediabetic ZDF rats, and that TGZ prevents both the increase in 11beta-HSD-1 and the diabetes. ..
- Gamble K, Garner M, Krause L, Alvarado T. Pancreatic islet fibrosis in rock hyraxes (Procavia capensis), Part 1: Case histories, clinical pathology, and epizootiology. J Zoo Wildl Med. 2004;35:361-9 pubmed..Limited nutritional analyses did not support a nutritional basis for the condition, and the cause for PIF remains unknown...
- Gavino A, Chung J, Sato K, Ariizumi K, Cruz P. Identification and expression profiling of a human C-type lectin, structurally homologous to mouse dectin-2. Exp Dermatol. 2005;14:281-8 pubmed..Our findings may form the basis for understanding the function of human DECTIN-2 in innate immunity. ..
- Lawrence M, McGlynn K, Park B, Cobb M. ERK1/2-dependent activation of transcription factors required for acute and chronic effects of glucose on the insulin gene promoter. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:26751-9 pubmed..These results indicate that the ERK1/2 pathway modulates partners of NFAT, which may either stimulate or repress insulin gene transcription during stimulatory and chronic exposure to elevated glucose. ..
- Villasenor A, Wang Z, Rivera L, Ocal O, Asterholm I, Scherer P, et al. Rgs16 and Rgs8 in embryonic endocrine pancreas and mouse models of diabetes. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:567-80 pubmed publisher..Rgs16 and Rgs8 are likely to control aspects of islet progenitor cell activation, differentiation and beta-cell expansion in embryos and metabolically stressed adults. ..
- Wang Z, Zhou Y, Kakuma T, Lee Y, Kalra S, Kalra P, et al. Leptin resistance of adipocytes in obesity: role of suppressors of cytokine signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;277:20-6 pubmed
- Schuppin G, Pons S, Hugl S, Aiello L, King G, White M, et al. A specific increased expression of insulin receptor substrate 2 in pancreatic beta-cell lines is involved in mediating serum-stimulated beta-cell growth. Diabetes. 1998;47:1074-85 pubmed..It is conceivable that IRS-2 expression in beta-cells contributes to maintaining the islet beta-cell population, complementary to observations in the IRS-2 knockout mouse in which beta-cell mass is markedly reduced. ..
- Ferdaoussi M, Bergeron V, Zarrouki B, Kolic J, Cantley J, Fielitz J, et al. G protein-coupled receptor (GPR)40-dependent potentiation of insulin secretion in mouse islets is mediated by protein kinase D1. Diabetologia. 2012;55:2682-2692 pubmed publisher..These results provide important information on the mechanisms of action of GPR40, a novel drug target for type 2 diabetes. ..
- Mitchell R, Hu M, Chabosseau P, Cane M, Meur G, Bellomo E, et al. Molecular Genetic Regulation of Slc30a8/ZnT8 Reveals a Positive Association With Glucose Tolerance. Mol Endocrinol. 2016;30:77-91 pubmed publisher..Activation of ZnT8 in Î²-cells might therefore provide the basis of a novel approach to treating T2D. ..
- Cleaver O. ? Cell Renewal versus Differentiation: Slow and Steady Wins the Race. Dev Cell. 2017;41:223-225 pubmed publisher..2017) demonstrate how CDK phosphorylation of Ngn3 governs the switch between their renewal and differentiation. Lengthening the cell cycle allows Ngn3 accumulation, outpacing phosphorylation-induced degradation. ..
- Lee Y, Wang M, Kakuma T, Wang Z, Babcock E, McCorkle K, et al. Liporegulation in diet-induced obesity. The antisteatotic role of hyperleptinemia. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:5629-35 pubmed..We conclude that a physiologic role of the hyperleptinemia of caloric excess is to protect nonadipocytes from steatosis and lipotoxicity by preventing the up-regulation of lipogenesis and increasing fatty-acid oxidation. ..
- Lee Y, Hirose H, Zhou Y, Esser V, McGarry J, Unger R. Increased lipogenic capacity of the islets of obese rats: a role in the pathogenesis of NIDDM. Diabetes. 1997;46:408-13 pubmed..We conclude that, in the presence of comparable elevations in FFA concentrations, the islets of obese prediabetic rats have a higher lipogenic capacity than controls. This could be a factor in their high risk of diabetes. ..