Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on intracellular signaling peptides and proteins in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
Topic: intracellular signaling peptides and proteins
Publications117 found, 100 shown here
- Lazrak A, Liu Z, Huang C. Antagonistic regulation of ROMK by long and kidney-specific WNK1 isoforms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1615-20 pubmed..Thus, KS-WNK1 is a physiological antagonist of long WNK1. Hyperkalemia in PHA II patients with PHA II mutations may be caused, at least partially, by increased expression of long WNK1 with or without decreased expression of KS-WNK1. ..
- Gong Y, Lee J, Brown M, Goldstein J, Ye J. Juxtamembranous aspartic acid in Insig-1 and Insig-2 is required for cholesterol homeostasis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6154-9 pubmed..These studies identify a single amino acid residue that is crucial for the function of Insig proteins in regulating cholesterol homeostasis in mammalian cells. ..
- Chen W, Chen Y, Xu B, Juang Y, Stippec S, Zhao Y, et al. Regulation of a third conserved phosphorylation site in SGK1. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:3453-60 pubmed publisher..SGK1 activation was further augmented by coexpression with the protein kinase WNK1 (with no lysine kinase 1). These findings reveal further complexity underlying the regulation of SGK1 activity. ..
- Singh D, Ku C, Wichaidit C, Steininger R, Wu L, Altschuler S. Patterns of basal signaling heterogeneity can distinguish cellular populations with different drug sensitivities. Mol Syst Biol. 2010;6:369 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that patterns of signaling heterogeneity, characterized as ensembles of a small number of distinct phenotypic states, can reveal functional differences among cellular populations. ..
- Rivera L, Brekken R. SPARC promotes pericyte recruitment via inhibition of endoglin-dependent TGF-?1 activity. J Cell Biol. 2011;193:1305-19 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that SPARC promotes pericyte migration by diminishing TGF-? activity and identify a novel function for endoglin in controlling pericyte behavior. ..
- Skaug B, Chen J, Du F, He J, Ma A, Chen Z. Direct, noncatalytic mechanism of IKK inhibition by A20. Mol Cell. 2011;44:559-71 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a noncatalytic mechanism of IKK inhibition by A20 and a means by which polyubiquitin chains can specify a signaling outcome. ..
- Cui H, Sohn J, Gautron L, Funahashi H, Williams K, Elmquist J, et al. Neuroanatomy of melanocortin-4 receptor pathway in the lateral hypothalamic area. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:4168-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into MC4R signaling in the LHA and its potential implications in homeostatic regulation of body energy balance. ..
- Faulkner R, Nguyen A, Jo Y, DeBose Boyd R. Lipid-regulated degradation of HMG-CoA reductase and Insig-1 through distinct mechanisms in insect cells. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:1011-22 pubmed publisher..Together, these results establish Drosophila S2 cells as a model system to elucidate mechanisms through which lipid constituents of cell membranes (i.e., sterols and fatty acids) modulate the ERAD of Insig-1 and reductase. ..
- Lee J, Gong Y, Zhang X, Ye J. Proteasomal degradation of ubiquitinated Insig proteins is determined by serine residues flanking ubiquitinated lysines. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:4958-63 pubmed..The current studies indicate that the degradation of ubiquitinated Insigs is controlled by serine residues flanking the sites of ubiquitination. ..
- Zhang Y, Lee K, Kinch L, Clark L, Grishin N, Rosenbaum D, et al. Direct Demonstration That Loop1 of Scap Binds to Loop7: A CRUCIAL EVENT IN CHOLESTEROL HOMEOSTASIS. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:12888-96 pubmed publisher..Point mutations that disrupt the Loop1-Loop7 interaction prevented secretion of the Loop1-Loop7 fusion protein. These data provide direct documentation of intramolecular Loop1-Loop7 binding, a central event in cholesterol homeostasis. ..
- Rhee S, Grinnell F. P21-activated kinase 1: convergence point in PDGF- and LPA-stimulated collagen matrix contraction by human fibroblasts. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:423-32 pubmed..These findings establish a unified framework for understanding the cell signaling pathways involved in fibroblast contraction of floating collagen matrices. ..
- Lutter M, Krishnan V, Russo S, Jung S, McClung C, Nestler E. Orexin signaling mediates the antidepressant-like effect of calorie restriction. J Neurosci. 2008;28:3071-5 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that orexin plays an essential role in mediating reduced depression-like symptoms induced by calorie restriction. ..
- Yabe D, Xia Z, Adams C, Rawson R. Three mutations in sterol-sensing domain of SCAP block interaction with insig and render SREBP cleavage insensitive to sterols. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:16672-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, three different point mutations, each within the sterol-sensing domain of SCAP, prevent sterol-induced binding of SCAP to insig proteins and abolish feedback regulation of SREBP processing by sterols...
- Vega R, Rothermel B, Weinheimer C, Kovacs A, Naseem R, Bassel Duby R, et al. Dual roles of modulatory calcineurin-interacting protein 1 in cardiac hypertrophy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:669-74 pubmed..These opposing roles of MCIP have important implications for therapeutic strategies to regulate cardiac hypertrophy through modulation of calcineurin-MCIP activity. ..
- Perlingeiro R. Endoglin is required for hemangioblast and early hematopoietic development. Development. 2007;134:3041-8 pubmed..Taken together, these findings point to a role for endoglin in both hemangioblast specification and hematopoietic commitment. ..
- Espenshade P, Cheng D, Goldstein J, Brown M. Autocatalytic processing of site-1 protease removes propeptide and permits cleavage of sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:22795-804 pubmed..Espenshade, P. J., Slaughter, C. A., Jaen, J. C., Brown, M. S., and Goldstein, J. L. (1999), J. Biol. Chem., 274, 22805-22812), we develop an in vitro assay to characterize the activity of purified recombinant S1P. ..
- Rawson R, DeBose Boyd R, Goldstein J, Brown M. Failure to cleave sterol regulatory element-binding proteins (SREBPs) causes cholesterol auxotrophy in Chinese hamster ovary cells with genetic absence of SREBP cleavage-activating protein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:28549-56 pubmed..These results provide formal proof that SCAP is essential for the cleavage of SREBPs at site 1...
- Ren F, Wang B, Yue T, Yun E, Ip Y, Jiang J. Hippo signaling regulates Drosophila intestine stem cell proliferation through multiple pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:21064-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Hpo pathway mediator Yorkie (Yki) is also required in precursor cells for injury-induced ISC proliferation in response to tissue-damaging reagent DSS. ..
- Ye J, Rawson R, Komuro R, Chen X, Dav U, Prywes R, et al. ER stress induces cleavage of membrane-bound ATF6 by the same proteases that process SREBPs. Mol Cell. 2000;6:1355-64 pubmed..ATF6 processing did not require SCAP, which is essential for SREBP processing. We conclude that S1P and S2P are required for the ER stress response as well as for lipid synthesis...
- Frey N, Barrientos T, Shelton J, Frank D, Rütten H, Gehring D, et al. Mice lacking calsarcin-1 are sensitized to calcineurin signaling and show accelerated cardiomyopathy in response to pathological biomechanical stress. Nat Med. 2004;10:1336-43 pubmed..These findings show important roles for calsarcins as modulators of calcineurin signaling and the transmission of a specific subset of stress signals leading to cardiac remodeling in vivo. ..
- Liu X, Li P, Widlak P, Zou H, Luo X, Garrard W, et al. The 40-kDa subunit of DNA fragmentation factor induces DNA fragmentation and chromatin condensation during apoptosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:8461-6 pubmed..DFF40 also triggered chromatin condensation when incubated with nuclei. These data suggest that DFF40 is sufficient to trigger both DNA fragmentation and chromatin condensation during apoptosis. ..
- Liu L, Eby M, Rathore N, Sinha S, Kumar A, Chaudhary P. The human herpes virus 8-encoded viral FLICE inhibitory protein physically associates with and persistently activates the Ikappa B kinase complex. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:13745-51 pubmed..Our results suggest that HHV8 vFLIP might contribute to the persistent NF-kappaB activation observed in PEL cells by associating with and stimulating the activity of the cellular IKK complex. ..
- Moon Y, Liang G, Xie X, Frank Kamenetsky M, Fitzgerald K, Koteliansky V, et al. The Scap/SREBP pathway is essential for developing diabetic fatty liver and carbohydrate-induced hypertriglyceridemia in animals. Cell Metab. 2012;15:240-6 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of SREBP activation has therapeutic potential for treatment of hypertriglyceridemia and fatty liver disease. ..
- Asaithamby A, Uematsu N, Chatterjee A, Story M, Burma S, Chen D. Repair of HZE-particle-induced DNA double-strand breaks in normal human fibroblasts. Radiat Res. 2008;169:437-46 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate that the inability of cells to rejoin DSBs within clustered DNA lesions likely contributes to the greater biological effectiveness of HZE particles. ..
- Feramisco J, Radhakrishnan A, Ikeda Y, Reitz J, Brown M, Goldstein J. Intramembrane aspartic acid in SCAP protein governs cholesterol-induced conformational change. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:3242-7 pubmed publisher..These data identify an important functional residue in SCAP, and they provide genetic evidence that the conformation of SCAP dictates the rate of cholesterol synthesis in animal cells...
- Xia D, Stull J, Kamm K. Myosin phosphatase targeting subunit 1 affects cell migration by regulating myosin phosphorylation and actin assembly. Exp Cell Res. 2005;304:506-17 pubmed..Proper expression of MYPT1 or variant 2 is critical for RLC phosphorylation and actin assembly, thus maintaining normal cellular functions by simultaneously controlling cytoskeletal architecture and actomyosin activation. ..
- Kuriyama H, Liang G, Engelking L, Horton J, Goldstein J, Brown M. Compensatory increase in fatty acid synthesis in adipose tissue of mice with conditional deficiency of SCAP in liver. Cell Metab. 2005;1:41-51 pubmed..Plasma VLDL triglycerides are dramatically reduced in L-Scap- mice, underscoring the benefits of synthesizing FAs in fat rather than liver. ..
- Shimomura I, Matsuda M, Hammer R, Bashmakov Y, Brown M, Goldstein J. Decreased IRS-2 and increased SREBP-1c lead to mixed insulin resistance and sensitivity in livers of lipodystrophic and ob/ob mice. Mol Cell. 2000;6:77-86 pubmed..The combination of insulin resistance (inappropriate gluconeogenesis) and insulin sensitivity (elevated lipogenesis) establishes a vicious cycle that aggravates hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance in lipodystrophic and ob/ob mice. ..
- Probst B, Liu L, Ramesh V, Li L, Sun H, Minna J, et al. Smac mimetics increase cancer cell response to chemotherapeutics in a TNF-?-dependent manner. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:1645-54 pubmed publisher..Collectively, we provide mechanistic and applicable data to support translational studies in the use of a Smac mimetic/chemotherapy antineoplasm modality. ..
- Liao X, Butow R. RTG1 and RTG2: two yeast genes required for a novel path of communication from mitochondria to the nucleus. Cell. 1993;72:61-71 pubmed..Thus, RTG1 and RTG2 are pivotal genes in controlling interorganelle communication between mitochondria, peroxisomes, and the nucleus. ..
- Contreras C, Akbay E, Gallardo T, Haynie J, Sharma S, Tagao O, et al. Lkb1 inactivation is sufficient to drive endometrial cancers that are aggressive yet highly responsive to mTOR inhibitor monotherapy. Dis Model Mech. 2010;3:181-93 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate that Lkb1 is a uniquely potent endometrial tumor suppressor, but also suggest that the clinical responses of some types of invasive cancers to mTOR inhibitors may be linked to Lkb1 status. ..
- An S, Cha S, Yoon J, Chang S, Ross E, Huang C. WNK1 promotes PIP? synthesis to coordinate growth factor and GPCR-Gq signaling. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1979-87 pubmed publisher..These findings describe a new signaling pathway for Akt-activating growth factors, a mechanism for G protein-growth factor crosstalk, and a means to independently control PLC signaling and PIP(2) availability. ..
- Yue T, Tian A, Jiang J. The cell adhesion molecule echinoid functions as a tumor suppressor and upstream regulator of the Hippo signaling pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;22:255-67 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of Sav or dimerized Ed cytoplasmic domain suppressed loss-of-Ed phenotypes. We propose that Ed may link cell-cell contact to Hpo signaling through binding and stabilizing Sav, thus modulating the Hpo kinase activity. ..
- Liu Z, Sekito T, Epstein C, Butow R. RTG-dependent mitochondria to nucleus signaling is negatively regulated by the seven WD-repeat protein Lst8p. EMBO J. 2001;20:7209-19 pubmed..These data, together with genome-wide transcription profiling, reveal pathways regulated by glutamate, and provide insight into the regulation of cellular responses to mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Wang L, Du F, Wang X. TNF-alpha induces two distinct caspase-8 activation pathways. Cell. 2008;133:693-703 pubmed publisher..These findings revealed that TNF-alpha is able to induce apoptosis via two distinct caspase-8 activation pathways that are differentially regulated by cIAP1/2 and c-FLIP. ..
- Xu B, Stippec S, Lenertz L, Lee B, Zhang W, Lee Y, et al. WNK1 activates ERK5 by an MEKK2/3-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:7826-31 pubmed..Finally, ERK5 activation by epidermal growth factor was attenuated by suppression of WNK1 expression using small interfering RNA. Taken together, these results place WNK1 in the ERK5 MAP kinase pathway upstream of MEKK2/3. ..
- Lee B, Min X, Heise C, Xu B, Chen S, Shu H, et al. WNK1 phosphorylates synaptotagmin 2 and modulates its membrane binding. Mol Cell. 2004;15:741-51 pubmed..These findings provide a biochemical mechanism that could lead to the retention or insertion of proteins in the plasma membrane. Interruption of this regulatory pathway may disturb membrane events that regulate ion balance. ..
- Petersen S, Wang L, Yalcin Chin A, Li L, Peyton M, Minna J, et al. Autocrine TNFalpha signaling renders human cancer cells susceptible to Smac-mimetic-induced apoptosis. Cancer Cell. 2007;12:445-56 pubmed..In response to autocrine TNFalpha signaling, the Smac mimetic promotes formation of a RIPK1-dependent caspase-8-activating complex, leading to apoptosis. ..
- Sinton C. Orexin/hypocretin plays a role in the response to physiological disequilibrium. Sleep Med Rev. 2011;15:197-207 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the limit placed on the onset of sleep by orexin suggests that these adaptive processes then continue during sleep to become integrated into the development of a coping strategy for the longer term. ..
- Siede W, Friedberg A, Dianova I, Friedberg E. Characterization of G1 checkpoint control in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae following exposure to DNA-damaging agents. Genetics. 1994;138:271-81 pubmed..We suggest that an intermediate of nucleotide excision repair, such as DNA strand breaks or single-stranded DNA tracts, is required to activate RAD9-dependent G1 and G1/S checkpoint controls. ..
- DeBose Boyd R, Brown M, Li W, Nohturfft A, Goldstein J, Espenshade P. Transport-dependent proteolysis of SREBP: relocation of site-1 protease from Golgi to ER obviates the need for SREBP transport to Golgi. Cell. 1999;99:703-12 pubmed..Transport-dependent proteolysis may be a common mechanism to regulate the processing of membrane proteins. ..
- Arguello A, Fischer S, Schonborn J, Markus R, Brekken R, Eisch A. Effect of chronic morphine on the dentate gyrus neurogenic microenvironment. Neuroscience. 2009;159:1003-10 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that following chronic morphine exposure, factors within the neurogenic microenvironment are maintained or upregulated to compensate for decreased SGZ proliferation. ..
- Lee J, Ye J. Proteolytic activation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein induced by cellular stress through depletion of Insig-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:45257-65 pubmed..The current study demonstrates that animal cells, in response to either hypotonic shock or ER stress, can bypass the cholesterol inhibition of SREBP processing, an effect that is attributable to the rapid turnover of Insig-1. ..
- Lee B, Chen W, Stippec S, Cobb M. Biological cross-talk between WNK1 and the transforming growth factor beta-Smad signaling pathway. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:17985-96 pubmed..In addition, TGFbeta-induced target gene transcripts were increased in WNK1 small interfering RNA cells. These findings suggest WNK1 as a dual modulator of TGFbeta-Smad signaling pathways. ..
- Tu S, Bugde A, Luby Phelps K, Cobb M. WNK1 is required for mitosis and abscission. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:1385-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that decreased cell survival associated with loss of WNK1 is attributable to defects in chromosome segregation and abscission and is independent of the effector kinase OSR1. ..
- Hwang S, Nguyen A, Jo Y, Engelking L, Brugarolas J, DeBose Boyd R. Hypoxia-inducible factor 1? activates insulin-induced gene 2 (Insig-2) transcription for degradation of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl (HMG)-CoA reductase in the liver. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9382-9393 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that HIF-mediated induction of Insig-2 and degradation of HMGCR are physiologically relevant events that guard against wasteful oxygen consumption and inappropriate cell growth during hypoxia. ..
- Hua X, Nohturfft A, Goldstein J, Brown M. Sterol resistance in CHO cells traced to point mutation in SREBP cleavage-activating protein. Cell. 1996;87:415-26 pubmed..SCAP appears to be a central regulator of cholesterol metabolism in animal cells...
- Schuppin G, Pons S, Hugl S, Aiello L, King G, White M, et al. A specific increased expression of insulin receptor substrate 2 in pancreatic beta-cell lines is involved in mediating serum-stimulated beta-cell growth. Diabetes. 1998;47:1074-85 pubmed..It is conceivable that IRS-2 expression in beta-cells contributes to maintaining the islet beta-cell population, complementary to observations in the IRS-2 knockout mouse in which beta-cell mass is markedly reduced. ..
- Ferreira Junior J, Spirek M, Liu Z, Butow R. Interaction between Rtg2p and Mks1p in the regulation of the RTG pathway of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene. 2005;354:2-8 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that dynamic association between Mks1p and Rtg2p in high molecular weight complexes provides a means to regulate the RTG pathway. ..
- Yang T, Goldstein J, Brown M. Overexpression of membrane domain of SCAP prevents sterols from inhibiting SCAP.SREBP exit from endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:29881-6 pubmed..These studies provide a potential mechanistic explanation for the ability of sterols to block SCAP.SREBP movement from the ER and thereby to control lipid synthesis in animal cells. ..
- Matsuda M, Korn B, Hammer R, Moon Y, Komuro R, Horton J, et al. SREBP cleavage-activating protein (SCAP) is required for increased lipid synthesis in liver induced by cholesterol deprivation and insulin elevation. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1206-16 pubmed..These data provide in vivo evidence that SCAP and the SREBPs are required for hepatic lipid synthesis under basal and adaptive conditions. ..
- Espenshade P, Li W, Yabe D. Sterols block binding of COPII proteins to SCAP, thereby controlling SCAP sorting in ER. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:11694-9 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate feedback control of a biosynthetic pathway by the regulated binding of COPII proteins to an endoplasmic reticulum-to-Golgi transport protein...
- DiLeone R, Georgescu D, Nestler E. Lateral hypothalamic neuropeptides in reward and drug addiction. Life Sci. 2003;73:759-68 pubmed..Regulation of LH intracellular signaling pathways in response to drugs of abuse supports a role for the LH neuropeptides in addiction. ..
- Dobrosotskaya I, Goldstein J, Brown M, Rawson R. Reconstitution of sterol-regulated endoplasmic reticulum-to-Golgi transport of SREBP-2 in insect cells by co-expression of mammalian SCAP and Insigs. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:35837-43 pubmed..They indicate that insect cells can respond to sterols when proper regulatory proteins are expressed. ..
- Wu S, Huang J, Dong J, Pan D. hippo encodes a Ste-20 family protein kinase that restricts cell proliferation and promotes apoptosis in conjunction with salvador and warts. Cell. 2003;114:445-56 pubmed..A human homolog of hpo completely rescues the overgrowth phenotype of Drosophila hpo mutants, suggesting that hpo might play a conserved role for growth control in mammals. ..
- Sozio M, Mathis M, Young J, Walchli S, Pitcher L, Wrage P, et al. PTPH1 is a predominant protein-tyrosine phosphatase capable of interacting with and dephosphorylating the T cell receptor zeta subunit. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:7760-9 pubmed..This is the first reported demonstration that PTPH1 is a candidate PTPase capable of interacting with and dephosphorylating TCR zeta. ..
- Wang H, Liu Z, Huang C. Domains of WNK1 kinase in the regulation of ROMK1. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;295:F438-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, multiple intra- and/or intermolecular interactions of WNK1 domains are at play for regulation of ROMK1 by WNK1. ..
- Henke R, Meredith D, Borromeo M, Savage T, Johnson J. Ascl1 and Neurog2 form novel complexes and regulate Delta-like3 (Dll3) expression in the neural tube. Dev Biol. 2009;328:529-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, a complex interplay of E-box binding proteins spatially and temporally regulate Dll3 levels during neural tube development. ..
- Takahashi M, Koi M, Balaguer F, Boland C, Goel A. MSH3 mediates sensitization of colorectal cancer cells to cisplatin, oxaliplatin, and a poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitor. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:12157-65 pubmed publisher..These data lay the foundation for the development of effective prediction and treatments for cancers with MSH3 deficiency. ..
- Gao W, Shen Z, Shang L, Wang X. Upregulation of human autophagy-initiation kinase ULK1 by tumor suppressor p53 contributes to DNA-damage-induced cell death. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:1598-607 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that ULK1 and ULK2 may mediate part of tumor suppression activity in mammalian cells and contribute to the efficacy of genotoxic chemotherapeutic drugs. ..
- Radhakrishnan A, Sun L, Kwon H, Brown M, Goldstein J. Direct binding of cholesterol to the purified membrane region of SCAP: mechanism for a sterol-sensing domain. Mol Cell. 2004;15:259-68 pubmed..The current studies show that cells control their cholesterol content through receptor-ligand interactions and not through changes in the physical properties of the membrane. ..
- Kanayama A, Seth R, Sun L, Ea C, Hong M, Shaito A, et al. TAB2 and TAB3 activate the NF-kappaB pathway through binding to polyubiquitin chains. Mol Cell. 2004;15:535-48 pubmed..These results indicate that polyubiquitin binding domains represent a new class of signaling domains that regulate protein kinase activity through a nonproteolytic mechanism. ..
- Xu B, Stippec S, Chu P, Lazrak A, Li X, Lee B, et al. WNK1 activates SGK1 to regulate the epithelial sodium channel. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:10315-20 pubmed..This finding provides compelling evidence that this molecular mechanism contributes to the pathogenesis of hypertension in pseudohypoaldosteronism type II caused by WNK1 and, possibly, in other forms of hypertension...
- Gong Y, Lee J, Lee P, Goldstein J, Brown M, Ye J. Sterol-regulated ubiquitination and degradation of Insig-1 creates a convergent mechanism for feedback control of cholesterol synthesis and uptake. Cell Metab. 2006;3:15-24 pubmed..When the new Insig-1 and cholesterol converge on Scap, Scap/SREBP binds to Insig-1, preventing ubiquitination. The Insig-1/Scap/SREBP complex accumulates in the ER, ready for liberation when the cell is again sterol deprived. ..
- Lee J, Song B, DeBose Boyd R, Ye J. Sterol-regulated degradation of Insig-1 mediated by the membrane-bound ubiquitin ligase gp78. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:39308-15 pubmed
- Kim H, Jiang X, Du F, Wang X. PHAPI, CAS, and Hsp70 promote apoptosome formation by preventing Apaf-1 aggregation and enhancing nucleotide exchange on Apaf-1. Mol Cell. 2008;30:239-47 pubmed publisher..These studies indicated that PHAPI, CAS, and Hsp70 play an important regulatory role during apoptosis. ..
- McMahon K, Zajicek H, Li W, Peyton M, Minna J, Hernandez V, et al. SRBC/cavin-3 is a caveolin adapter protein that regulates caveolae function. EMBO J. 2009;28:1001-15 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SRBC (sdr-related gene product that binds to c-kinase) and two other family members [PTRF (Pol I and transcription release factor) and SDPR] function as caveolin adapter molecules that regulate caveolae function. ..
- Kramer H. Neuralized: regulating notch by putting away delta. Dev Cell. 2001;1:725-6 pubmed..Neuralized acts in a subset of Notch-dependent cell fate decisions including lateral inhibition in Drosophila neurogenesis. Three recent papers reveal that Neuralized acts as a ubiquitin ligase and triggers endocytosis of the ligand Delta. ..
- Willie J, Chemelli R, Sinton C, Tokita S, Williams S, Kisanuki Y, et al. Distinct narcolepsy syndromes in Orexin receptor-2 and Orexin null mice: molecular genetic dissection of Non-REM and REM sleep regulatory processes. Neuron. 2003;38:715-30 pubmed
- He G, Wang H, Huang S, Huang C. Intersectin links WNK kinases to endocytosis of ROMK1. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1078-87 pubmed..Disease-causing WNK4 mutations enhanced interactions of WNK4 with ITSN and ROMK1, leading to increased endocytosis of ROMK1. These results provide a molecular mechanism for stimulation of endocytosis of ROMK1 by WNK kinases. ..
- Radhakrishnan A, Ikeda Y, Kwon H, Brown M, Goldstein J. Sterol-regulated transport of SREBPs from endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi: oxysterols block transport by binding to Insig. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:6511-8 pubmed..These studies define Insigs as oxysterol-binding proteins, explaining the long-known ability of oxysterols to inhibit cholesterol synthesis in animal cells. ..
- Zhang J. The direct involvement of SirT1 in insulin-induced insulin receptor substrate-2 tyrosine phosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34356-64 pubmed..More importantly, this study may imply a pathway through which Sir2 family protein deacetylases and insulin signaling pathway jointly regulate various metabolic processes, including aging and diabetes. ..
- Liu Z, Wang H, Huang C. Regulation of ROMK channel and K+ homeostasis by kidney-specific WNK1 kinase. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:12198-206 pubmed publisher..Thus, KS-WNK1 is an important physiological regulator of renal K(+) excretion, likely through its effects on the ROMK1 channel. ..
- Chaudhary P, Jasmin A, Eby M, Hood L. Modulation of the NF-kappa B pathway by virally encoded death effector domains-containing proteins. Oncogene. 1999;18:5738-46 pubmed publisher..Modulation of the NF-kappaB pathway may play a role in the natural history of infection by these viruses...
- Sever N, Yang T, Brown M, Goldstein J, DeBose Boyd R. Accelerated degradation of HMG CoA reductase mediated by binding of insig-1 to its sterol-sensing domain. Mol Cell. 2003;11:25-33 pubmed..Insig-1 appears to play an essential role in the sterol-mediated trafficking of two proteins with sterol-sensing domains, HMG CoA reductase and SCAP. ..
- Mooney J, Klem J, Wulfing C, Mijares L, Schwartzberg P, Bennett M, et al. The murine NK receptor 2B4 (CD244) exhibits inhibitory function independent of signaling lymphocytic activation molecule-associated protein expression. J Immunol. 2004;173:3953-61 pubmed..This predominant inhibitory function of murine 2B4 correlates with increased 2B4 long isoform level expression over 2B4 short. ..
- Kim A, Lakshman N, Petroll W. Quantitative assessment of local collagen matrix remodeling in 3-D culture: the role of Rho kinase. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:3683-92 pubmed
- Ren F, Zhang L, Jiang J. Hippo signaling regulates Yorkie nuclear localization and activity through 14-3-3 dependent and independent mechanisms. Dev Biol. 2010;337:303-12 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provided evidence that Hpo signaling restricted Yki nuclear localization depending on CRM1-mediated nuclear export. ..
- Sengupta S, Tu S, Wedin K, Earnest S, Stippec S, Luby Phelps K, et al. Interactions with WNK (with no lysine) family members regulate oxidative stress response 1 and ion co-transporter activity. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:37868-79 pubmed publisher..C-terminal WNK1 fragments can be phosphorylated by OSR1, suggesting that OSR1 catalyzes feedback phosphorylation of WNK1. ..
- Peru Y Colón de Portugal R, Acevedo S, Rodan A, Chang L, Eaton B, Rothenfluh A. Adult neuronal Arf6 controls ethanol-induced behavior with Arfaptin downstream of Rac1 and RhoGAP18B. J Neurosci. 2012;32:17706-13 pubmed publisher..Arf6 acts downstream of Rac1 and Arfaptin to regulate ethanol-induced behaviors, and we thus demonstrate that this conserved Rac1/Arfaptin/Arf6 pathway is a major mediator of ethanol-induced behavioral responses. ..
- Nohturfft A, Brown M, Goldstein J. Topology of SREBP cleavage-activating protein, a polytopic membrane protein with a sterol-sensing domain. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:17243-50 pubmed..The common membrane topology of the two proteins is consistent with the notion that sterols regulate both proteins by a common mechanism...
- Liang G, Yang J, Horton J, Hammer R, Goldstein J, Brown M. Diminished hepatic response to fasting/refeeding and liver X receptor agonists in mice with selective deficiency of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1c. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:9520-8 pubmed..Moreover, these mRNAs, as well as multiple other lipogenic mRNAs, showed a markedly blunted response to the LXR agonist T090137, indicating an essential role of SREBP-1c in the LXR response. ..
- Zhang L, Ding J, Yang B, He G, Roe C. Characterization of the bidirectional promoter region between the human genes encoding VLCAD and PSD-95. Genomics. 2003;82:660-8 pubmed..Site-directed mutagenesis experiments showed that a mutated activator protein 2-binding site markedly reduced the transcriptional activity of both promoters and abolished the minimal VLCAD promoter's response to DEHP treatment. ..
- Beuckmann C, Sinton C, Williams S, Richardson J, Hammer R, Sakurai T, et al. Expression of a poly-glutamine-ataxin-3 transgene in orexin neurons induces narcolepsy-cataplexy in the rat. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4469-77 pubmed..These findings indicate that the orexin/ataxin-3 transgenic rat could provide a useful model of human narcolepsy. ..
- Cheng C, Huang C. Activation of PI3-kinase stimulates endocytosis of ROMK via Akt1/SGK1-dependent phosphorylation of WNK1. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:460-71 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that PI3K-activating hormones inhibit ROMK by enhancing its endocytosis via a mechanism that involves phosphorylation of WNK1 by Akt1 and SGK1. ..
- Motamed M, Zhang Y, Wang M, Seemann J, Kwon H, Goldstein J, et al. Identification of luminal Loop 1 of Scap protein as the sterol sensor that maintains cholesterol homeostasis. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:18002-12 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that luminal Loop 1 of Scap controls the conformation of cytosolic Loop 6, thereby determining whether cells produce cholesterol. ..
- McIntosh L, Marion M, Sudman M, Comeau M, Becker M, Bohnsack J, et al. Genome-Wide Association Meta-Analysis Reveals Novel Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Susceptibility Loci. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2017;69:2222-2232 pubmed publisher..Thus, they likely represent regions that contribute to the pathology of oligoarticular JIA and RF-negative polyarticular JIA. ..