Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on inbred balb c mice in Galveston, Texas, United States
Locale: Galveston, Texas, United States
Topic: inbred balb c mice
- Judy B, Whitlock G, Torres A, Estes D. Comparison of the in vitro and in vivo susceptibilities of Burkholderia mallei to Ceftazidime and Levofloxacin. BMC Microbiol. 2009;9:88 pubmed publisher..The effect of two antibiotics with different modes of action on Burkholderia mallei strain ATCC23344 was investigated by using in vitro and in vivo studies...
- Choudhury B, Wild J, Alam R, Klinman D, Boldogh I, Dharajiya N, et al. In vivo role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in mediating the anti-inflammatory effects of CpG oligodeoxynucleotide in murine asthma. J Immunol. 2002;169:5955-61 pubmed
- Varma T, Lin C, Toliver Kinsky T, Sherwood E. Endotoxin-induced gamma interferon production: contributing cell types and key regulatory factors. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2002;9:530-43 pubmed..These data demonstrate that NK cells and NKT cells are the most abundant IFN-gamma-producing cells in the mouse spleen after LPS challenge and that IL-10 and IL-12 are key functional regulators of LPS-induced IFN-gamma production. ..
- Suzuki H, Prado G, Wilkinson N, Navarro J. The N terminus of interleukin-8 (IL-8) receptor confers high affinity binding to human IL-8. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:18263-6 pubmed..To identify the domain(s) conferring high affinity binding to IL-8, we constructed rabbit/mouse receptor chimeras.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Tatsuka M, Ibeanu G, Izumi T, Narayan S, Ramana C, Kim N, et al. Structural organization of the mouse DNA repair gene, N-methylpurine-DNA glycosylase. DNA Cell Biol. 1995;14:37-45 pubmed..The mouse MPG promoter contains no TATA box, but has a CAAT element and is G.C-rich with putative AP2 elements and SP1-complementary sequences. ..
- Joseph P, Sarmiento J, Mishra A, Das S, Garofalo R, Navarro J, et al. Probing the role of CXC motif in chemokine CXCL8 for high affinity binding and activation of CXCR1 and CXCR2 receptors. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:29262-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that the CXC motif functions as a conformational switch that couples Site-I and Site-II interactions for both receptors, and that this coupling is critical for high affinity binding but differentially regulates activation. ..
- Aguilera Aguirre L, Bacsi A, Saavedra Molina A, Kurosky A, Sur S, Boldogh I. Mitochondrial dysfunction increases allergic airway inflammation. J Immunol. 2009;183:5379-87 pubmed publisher..These data also imply that mitochondrial defects could be risk factors and may be responsible for severe allergic disorders in atopic individuals...
- Haeberle H, Casola A, Gatalica Z, Petronella S, Dieterich H, Ernst P, et al. IkappaB kinase is a critical regulator of chemokine expression and lung inflammation in respiratory syncytial virus infection. J Virol. 2004;78:2232-41 pubmed..These findings suggest that IKKbeta may be a potential target for the treatment of acute or chronic inflammatory diseases of the lung. ..
- Yiangou M, Papaconstantinou J. The differential induction of alpha 1-acid glycoprotein and serum amyloid A genes by heavy metals. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1174:123-32 pubmed..CRP is another member of this family. Furthermore, our data suggest that the mechanism is not directly mediated by glucocorticoid or cytokine induction pathways. ..
- Takahashi H, Kobayashi M, Tsuda Y, Herndon D, Suzuki F. Contribution of the sympathetic nervous system on the burn-associated impairment of CCL3 production. Cytokine. 2005;29:208-14 pubmed..These results indicated that by inhibiting CCL3 production the sympathetic nervous system contributes to the increased susceptibility of TI-mice to sepsis. ..
- Hanania E, Au W, Ullrich R, Papaconstantinou J. Regulation of retinoblastoma gene expression in a mouse mammary tumor model. Cancer Gene Ther. 1995;2:251-61 pubmed..Our studies provide experimental data to confirm that loss of RB gene activity is involved in neoplastic transformation of cells and support the multistep theory of carcinogenesis. ..
- Stevenson H, Crossley E, Thirumalapura N, Walker D, Ismail N. Regulatory roles of CD1d-restricted NKT cells in the induction of toxic shock-like syndrome in an animal model of fatal ehrlichiosis. Infect Immun. 2008;76:1434-44 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that NKT cells mediate Ehrlichia-induced T-cell-mediated toxic shock-like syndrome, most likely via cognate and noncognate interactions with antigen-presenting cells. ..
- Carter K, Post D, Papaconstantinou J. Differential expression of the mouse alpha 1-acid glycoprotein genes (AGP-1 and AGP-2) during inflammation and aging. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1991;1089:197-205 pubmed..These studies set the stage for future experiments to determine the mechanisms by which the different alpha 1-acid glycoprotein genes are regulated during the acute-phase response and how aging affects these regulatory processes. ..
- Cooper R, Eckley D, Papaconstantinou J. Nucleotide sequence of the mouse alpha 1-acid glycoprotein gene 1. Biochemistry. 1987;26:5244-50 pubmed..abstract truncated at 250 words) ..
- Estes D, Dow S, Schweizer H, Torres A. Present and future therapeutic strategies for melioidosis and glanders. Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2010;8:325-38 pubmed publisher..This review provides a compilation of literature covering studies in antimelioidosis and antiglanders antimicrobial drug discovery, with a particular focus on potential novel therapeutic approaches to combat these diseases...
- Dharajiya N, Vaidya S, Sinha M, Luxon B, Boldogh I, Sur S. Allergen challenge induces Ifng dependent GTPases in the lungs as part of a Th1 transcriptome response in a murine model of allergic asthma. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8172 pubmed publisher..We propose that allergen-induced airway inflammation is regulated by simultaneous upregulation of Th1 and Th2 genes, and that persistent unopposed upregulation of Th1 genes resolves allergic inflammation. ..
- Kobayashi M, Yoshida T, Takeuchi D, Jones V, Shigematsu K, Herndon D, et al. Gr-1(+)CD11b(+) cells as an accelerator of sepsis stemming from Pseudomonas aeruginosa wound infection in thermally injured mice. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;83:1354-62 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that sepsis stemming from P. aeruginosa burn-wound infection is accelerated by burn-induced Gr-1(+)CD11b(+) cells with abilities to suppress antimicrobial peptide production by epidermal keratinocytes...
- Wild J, Sigounas A, Sur N, Siddiqui M, Alam R, Kurimoto M, et al. IFN-gamma-inducing factor (IL-18) increases allergic sensitization, serum IgE, Th2 cytokines, and airway eosinophilia in a mouse model of allergic asthma. J Immunol. 2000;164:2701-10 pubmed..This is the first report demonstrating that IL-18 promotes a Th2 phenotype in vivo, and potently induces allergic sensitization. These results suggest that IL-18 may contribute to the pathogenesis of allergic asthma. ..
- Haeberle H, Takizawa R, Casola A, Brasier A, Dieterich H, Van Rooijen N, et al. Respiratory syncytial virus-induced activation of nuclear factor-kappaB in the lung involves alveolar macrophages and toll-like receptor 4-dependent pathways. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:1199-206 pubmed..NF-kappaB may be considered a central activator of not only inflammatory but also innate immune responses to RSV. ..
- Billings A, Feng H, Olano J, Walker D. Rickettsial infection in murine models activates an early anti-rickettsial effect mediated by NK cells and associated with production of gamma interferon. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;65:52-6 pubmed..Thus, it appears that NK cells contribute to the early anti-rickettsial immune response, likely via a mechanism involving gamma interferon...
- Ji J, Sun J, Soong L. Impaired expression of inflammatory cytokines and chemokines at early stages of infection with Leishmania amazonensis. Infect Immun. 2003;71:4278-88 pubmed..amazonensis parasites and provide a compelling rationale to explore immune augmentation as an intervention in American cutaneous leishmaniasis...
- Holbrook M, Aronson J, Campbell G, Jones S, Feldmann H, Barrett A. An animal model for the tickborne flavivirus--Omsk hemorrhagic fever virus. J Infect Dis. 2005;191:100-8 pubmed..This study demonstrates a clear pathological difference between OHFV-infected mice and POWV-infected mice and supports the use of the BALB/c mouse as a disease model for OHFV. ..
- Vargas Inchaustegui D, Xin L, Soong L. Leishmania braziliensis infection induces dendritic cell activation, ISG15 transcription, and the generation of protective immune responses. J Immunol. 2008;180:7537-45 pubmed..Collectively, this study supports the view that innate responses at the DC level determine parasite-specific T cell responses and disease outcomes. ..
- Xin L, Li K, Soong L. Down-regulation of dendritic cell signaling pathways by Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:3371-82 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that La parasites, especially in their intracellular forms, have evolved unique strategies to actively down-regulate early innate signaling events, resulting in impaired DC function and Th1 activation...
- Ray S, Boldogh I, Brasier A. STAT3 NH2-terminal acetylation is activated by the hepatic acute-phase response and required for IL-6 induction of angiotensinogen. Gastroenterology. 2005;129:1616-32 pubmed..The mechanisms of how STAT3 activates target genes are unknown. Here we analyzed the biochemistry of STAT3 activation by interleukin (IL)-6 in hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 and Balb/C mice...
- Toliver Kinsky T, Varma T, Lin C, Herndon D, Sherwood E. Interferon-gamma production is suppressed in thermally injured mice: decreased production of regulatory cytokines and corresponding receptors. Shock. 2002;18:322-30 pubmed..We conclude that burn-associated suppression of IFN-gamma is due to deficient production of inducing factors and their receptors, leading to severe impairments in cellular IFN-gamma induction pathways. ..
- Kobayashi M, Takahashi H, Herndon D, Pollard R, Suzuki F. Therapeutic effects of IL-12 combined with benzoylmesaconine, a non-toxic aconitine-hydrolysate, against herpes simplex virus type 1 infection in mice following thermal injury. Burns. 2003;29:37-42 pubmed..These results suggest that the combination therapy of IL-12 (an inducer of type 1 T cell responses) and BEN (an inhibitor of type 2 T cell responses) may protect TI-mice from severe HSV-1 infection. ..
- Pereira R, Scalzo A, Simmons A. Cutting edge: a NK complex-linked locus governs acute versus latent herpes simplex virus infection of neurons. J Immunol. 2001;166:5869-73 pubmed..Based on conservation between human and mouse NK complexes, the data predict the presence of a human Rhs1 orthologue on chromosome 12p12-13. ..
- Whitlock G, Lukaszewski R, Judy B, Paessler S, Torres A, Estes D. Host immunity in the protective response to vaccination with heat-killed Burkholderia mallei. BMC Immunol. 2008;9:55 pubmed publisher..We performed initial cell, cytokine and complement depletion studies to investigate the possible role of these effectors in response to vaccination with heat-killed Burkholderia mallei in a susceptible BALB/c mouse model of infection...
- Michalec L, Choudhury B, Postlethwait E, Wild J, Alam R, Lett Brown M, et al. CCL7 and CXCL10 orchestrate oxidative stress-induced neutrophilic lung inflammation. J Immunol. 2002;168:846-52 pubmed..These observations may have relevance in induction of neutrophilia in severe asthma. ..
- Zhou W, Vergara L, Konig R. T cell receptor induced intracellular redistribution of type I protein kinase A. Immunology. 2004;113:453-9 pubmed
- Yadav U, Ramana K, Aguilera Aguirre L, Boldogh I, Boulares H, Srivastava S. Inhibition of aldose reductase prevents experimental allergic airway inflammation in mice. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6535 pubmed publisher..Therefore, inhibition of AR could have clinical implications, especially for the treatment of airway inflammation, a major cause of asthma pathogenesis. ..
- Takeuchi D, Jones V, Kobayashi M, Suzuki F. Cooperative role of macrophages and neutrophils in host Antiprotozoan resistance in mice acutely infected with Cryptosporidium parvum. Infect Immun. 2008;76:3657-63 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the resistance of SCIDbg mice early after C. parvum infection is displayed through the function of M1Mphi which are converted from resident Mphi influenced by CP-PMN (PMN-I). ..
- Langer R, Li F, Vinetz J. Identification of novel Plasmodium gallinaceum zygote- and ookinete-expressed proteins as targets for blocking malaria transmission. Infect Immun. 2002;70:102-6 pubmed
- Lokugamage K, Yoshikawa Iwata N, Ito N, Watts D, Wyde P, Wang N, et al. Chimeric coronavirus-like particles carrying severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SCoV) S protein protect mice against challenge with SCoV. Vaccine. 2008;26:797-808 pubmed publisher..Our results show that chimeric VLP can be an effective vaccine strategy against SCoV infection. ..
- Wanasen N, Xin L, Soong L. Pathogenic role of B cells and antibodies in murine Leishmania amazonensis infection. Int J Parasitol. 2008;38:417-29 pubmed..Since CD4+ T cells are crucial to disease pathogenesis, this study suggests that B cells and their antibody production enhanced L. amazonensis infection, partially by promoting T cell priming and cellular migration to the infection site...
- Wanasen N, MacLeod C, Ellies L, Soong L. L-arginine and cationic amino acid transporter 2B regulate growth and survival of Leishmania amazonensis amastigotes in macrophages. Infect Immun. 2007;75:2802-10 pubmed..A possible role of mCAT-2B in supplying L-arginine directly to the parasites for their proliferation is discussed...
- Asai A, Tsuda Y, Kobayashi M, Hanafusa T, Herndon D, Suzuki F. Pathogenic role of macrophages in intradermal infection of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in thermally injured mice. Infect Immun. 2010;78:4311-9 pubmed publisher..M2M? have been described as inhibitor cells for M? conversion from resident M? to M1M?...
- Wang E, Bowen R, Medina G, Powers A, Kang W, Chandler L, et al. Virulence and viremia characteristics of 1992 epizootic subtype IC Venezuelan equine encephalitis viruses and closely related enzootic subtype ID strains. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;65:64-9 pubmed..Enzootic ID virus infection protected all horses from challenge with epizootic strain P676, supporting the hypothesis that epizootics bypass regions of enzootic transmission due to natural immunization of equines by enzootic VEE viruses...
- Tigabu B, Juelich T, Bertrand J, Holbrook M. Clinical evaluation of highly pathogenic tick-borne flavivirus infection in the mouse model. J Med Virol. 2009;81:1261-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate marked differences in the clinical signs, pathology, and immune response of mice infected with either OHFV or RSSEV and further validate the use of this mouse model system to evaluate human disease. ..
- Alam T, An M, Papaconstantinou J. Differential expression of three C/EBP isoforms in multiple tissues during the acute phase response. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:5021-4 pubmed..Thus, the C/EBP isoforms exhibit differential mechanisms in their responses to LPS in various tissues and are likely to play an important role in mediating the transcriptional activation of genes involved in the acute phase response. ..
- Chao C, Goluszko E, Lee Y, Kolokoltsov A, Davey R, Uchida T, et al. Constitutively active CCK2 receptor splice variant increases Src-dependent HIF-1 alpha expression and tumor growth. Oncogene. 2007;26:1013-9 pubmed
- Ramana K, Fadl A, Tammali R, Reddy A, Chopra A, Srivastava S. Aldose reductase mediates the lipopolysaccharide-induced release of inflammatory mediators in RAW264.7 murine macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:33019-29 pubmed..Collectively, these data provide evidence that inhibition of AR may be a significant therapeutic approach in preventing bacterial endotoxin-induced sepsis and tissue damage. ..