Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on hiv 1 in Dallas, Texas, United States
Locale: Dallas, Texas, United States
Topic: hiv 1
- Coull J, Romerio F, Sun J, Volker J, Galvin K, Davie J, et al. The human factors YY1 and LSF repress the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 long terminal repeat via recruitment of histone deacetylase 1. J Virol. 2000;74:6790-9 pubmed..YY1 and LSF may establish transcriptional and virological latency of HIV, a state that has recently been recognized in vivo and has significant implications for the long-term treatment of AIDS. ..
- Keiser P, Sension M, DeJesus E, Rodriguez A, Olliffe J, Williams V, et al. Substituting abacavir for hyperlipidemia-associated protease inhibitors in HAART regimens improves fasting lipid profiles, maintains virologic suppression, and simplifies treatment. BMC Infect Dis. 2005;5:2 pubmed
- García Martínez L, Mavankal G, Neveu J, Lane W, Ivanov D, Gaynor R. Purification of a Tat-associated kinase reveals a TFIIH complex that modulates HIV-1 transcription. EMBO J. 1997;16:2836-50 pubmed..These results define a cellular kinase complex whose activity is modulated by Tat to result in activation of HIV-1 trancription. ..
- Baugh L, Garcia J, Foster J. Functional characterization of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Nef acidic domain. J Virol. 2008;82:9657-67 pubmed publisher..Our results are consistent with an alternative model in which (62)EEEE(65) plays a stabilizing role in the formation of a ternary complex between Nef, the MHC-I cytoplasmic domain, and AP-1. ..
- Denton P, Estes J, Sun Z, Othieno F, Wei B, Wege A, et al. Antiretroviral pre-exposure prophylaxis prevents vaginal transmission of HIV-1 in humanized BLT mice. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e16 pubmed publisher..The utility of humanized mice to study intravaginal HIV-1 transmission is particularly highlighted by the demonstration that pre-exposure prophylaxis can prevent intravaginal HIV-1 transmission in the BLT mouse model. ..
- Sheffield J, Wendel G, McIntire D, Norgard M. Effect of genital ulcer disease on HIV-1 coreceptor expression in the female genital tract. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:1509-16 pubmed..Monocytes recruited to genital ulcer disease (GUD) sites express increased levels of CCR5. This increased expression could account, at least in part, for enhanced HIV-1 transmission in the setting of GUD. ..
- Wu F, Garcia J, Sigman D, Gaynor R. tat regulates binding of the human immunodeficiency virus trans-activating region RNA loop-binding protein TRP-185. Genes Dev. 1991;5:2128-40 pubmed..These results characterize a positively acting cellular RNA-binding factor, TRP-185, which is involved in the regulation of HIV gene expression. ..
- Kwak Y, Guo J, Prajapati S, Park K, Surabhi R, Miller B, et al. Methylation of SPT5 regulates its interaction with RNA polymerase II and transcriptional elongation properties. Mol Cell. 2003;11:1055-66 pubmed..These results suggest that methylation of SPT5 is an important posttranslational modification that is involved in regulating its transcriptional elongation properties in response to viral and cellular factors. ..
- Harrod R, Nacsa J, Van Lint C, Hansen J, Karpova T, McNally J, et al. Human immunodeficiency virus type-1 Tat/co-activator acetyltransferase interactions inhibit p53Lys-320 acetylation and p53-responsive transcription. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:12310-8 pubmed..Our results allude to a mechanism whereby the human immunodeficiency virus type-1 trans-activator might impair tumor suppressor functions in immune/neuronal-derived cells, thus favoring the establishment of neoplasia during AIDS. ..
- Seeler J, Muchardt C, Suessle A, Gaynor R. Transcription factor PRDII-BF1 activates human immunodeficiency virus type 1 gene expression. J Virol. 1994;68:1002-9 pubmed..These results are consistent with a role for PRDII-BF1 in activating HIV-1 gene expression. ..
- Foster J, Garcia J. Role of Nef in HIV-1 replication and pathogenesis. Adv Pharmacol. 2007;55:389-409 pubmed
- Wu Baer F, Lane W, Gaynor R. Role of the human homolog of the yeast transcription factor SPT5 in HIV-1 Tat-activation. J Mol Biol. 1998;277:179-97 pubmed..These findings are consistent with a model in which Tat-mediated effects on transcriptional elongation are mediated in part by the action of the human homolog of the yeast transcription factor SPT5. ..
- ..Finally, we conclude that inhibiting the CD4 downregulation function is the most promising Nef-targeted approach for developing a new anti-viral as a contribution to combating AIDS. ..
- Wong K, Sharma A, Awasthi S, Matlock E, Rogers L, Van Lint C, et al. HIV-1 Tat interactions with p300 and PCAF transcriptional coactivators inhibit histone acetylation and neurotrophin signaling through CREB. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:9390-9 pubmed..Importantly, these findings suggest that HIV-1 Tat-coactivator interactions may contribute to neurotrophin signaling impairments and neuronal apoptosis associated with HIV-1 infections of the CNS. ..
- Wei B, Arora V, Raney A, Kuo L, Xiao G, O Neill E, et al. Activation of p21-activated kinase 2 by human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Nef induces merlin phosphorylation. J Virol. 2005;79:14976-80 pubmed..The finding that Nef induces phosphorylation of the key signaling molecule merlin suggests several possible roles for PAK2 activation in HIV pathogenesis. ..
- Wu R, Gu Y, Xu Y, Mitola S, Bussolino F, Terada L. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Tat regulates endothelial cell actin cytoskeletal dynamics through PAK1 activation and oxidant production. J Virol. 2004;78:779-89 pubmed..We conclude that Tat induces actin cytoskeletal rearrangements through PAK1 and downstream activation of the endothelial NADPH oxidase. ..
- Wu Baer F, Sigman D, Gaynor R. Specific binding of RNA polymerase II to the human immunodeficiency virus trans-activating region RNA is regulated by cellular cofactors and Tat. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:7153-7 pubmed..These results suggest that Tat may function to alter RNA polymerase II, which is paused due to its binding to HIV-1 TAR RNA with resultant stimulation of its transcriptional elongation properties. ..