Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on flagella in College Station, Texas, United States
Locale: College Station, Texas, United States
- Wood T, Gonzalez Barrios A, Herzberg M, Lee J. Motility influences biofilm architecture in Escherichia coli. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2006;72:361-7 pubmed..The presence of flagella was also found to be important as qseB and fliA mutants (which lack flagella) had less biofilm than the isogenic paralyzed motA strain (threefold less thickness and 15-fold less surface coverage). ..
- Hosking E, Manson M. Clusters of charged residues at the C terminus of MotA and N terminus of MotB are important for function of the Escherichia coli flagellar motor. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:5517-21 pubmed publisher..Charge-altering mutations affecting these residues impair motility but do not diminish Mot protein levels. The motility defects are reversed by second-site mutations targeting the same or partner protein. ..
- Wang X, Wood T. IS5 inserts upstream of the master motility operon flhDC in a quasi-Lamarckian way. ISME J. 2011;5:1517-25 pubmed publisher..Hence, the cells appear to 'sense' whether motility is feasible before a sub-population undergoes a mutation to become hypermotile; this sensing appears related to the master transcription regulator, FlhDC. ..
- Weerasuriya S, Schneider B, Manson M. Chimeric chemoreceptors in Escherichia coli: signaling properties of Tar-Tap and Tap-Tar hybrids. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:914-20 pubmed..We conclude that no simple correlation exists between the abundance of a receptor, its methylation level, and its CW-signaling ability. ..
- Manson M. How 34 pegs fit into 26 + 8 holes in the flagellar motor. J Bacteriol. 2007;189:291-3 pubmed
- Lee J, Zhang X, Hegde M, Bentley W, Jayaraman A, Wood T. Indole cell signaling occurs primarily at low temperatures in Escherichia coli. ISME J. 2008;2:1007-23 pubmed publisher..coli O157:H7 at 37 degrees C but not at 30 degrees C. Hence, cell signals cause diverse responses at different temperatures, and indole- and AI-2-based signaling are intertwined. ..