Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila proteins in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Topic: drosophila proteins
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Kania A, Han P, Kim Y, Bellen H. Neuromusculin, a Drosophila gene expressed in peripheral neuronal precursors and muscles, encodes a cell adhesion molecule. Neuron. 1993;11:673-87 pubmed..We propose that Nrm may play a role as a cell adhesion molecule in clustering cells of the peripheral nervous system, neuronal fasciculation, and/or pathfinding. ..
- Wu M, Fergestad T, Lloyd T, He Y, Broadie K, Bellen H. Syntaxin 1A interacts with multiple exocytic proteins to regulate neurotransmitter release in vivo. Neuron. 1999;23:593-605 pubmed
- Roman G, Davis R. Conditional expression of UAS-transgenes in the adult eye with a new gene-switch vector system. Genesis. 2002;34:127-31 pubmed
- Fossett N, Hyman K, Gajewski K, Orkin S, Schulz R. Combinatorial interactions of serpent, lozenge, and U-shaped regulate crystal cell lineage commitment during Drosophila hematopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:11451-6 pubmed..These findings provide definitive proof of the combinatorial regulation of hematopoiesis in Drosophila and an in vivo demonstration of GATA and Runx functional interaction in a blood cell commitment program. ..
- Unni E, Su S, Zraly C, Mattox W. Analysis of a null mutation in the Drosophila splicing regulator Tra2 suggests its function is restricted to sexual differentiation. Genesis. 2003;37:76-83 pubmed..We find that tra2 deletion adults can survive as well as their heterozygous siblings. Thus, in contrast to other organisms, Tra2 is not required in Drosophila for general viability under laboratory conditions. ..
- Lamaris G, Chamilos G, Lewis R, Kontoyiannis D. Virulence studies of Scedosporium and Fusarium species in Drosophila melanogaster. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:1860-4 pubmed publisher..Voriconazole mixed in fly food significantly protected flies infected with F. moniliforme or S. apiospermum but not those infected with S. prolificans. ..
- Giagtzoglou N, Mahoney T, Yao C, Bellen H. Rab3 GTPase lands Bruchpilot. Neuron. 2009;64:595-7 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Neuron, Graf et al. perform a genetic screen in Drosophila and uncover a novel role for the Rab3 GTPase in organizing the active zone at the neuromuscular junction. ..
- Vanaphan N, Dauwalder B, Zufall R. Diversification of takeout, a male-biased gene family in Drosophila. Gene. 2012;491:142-8 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the genes in this family may have evolutionarily conserved sex specific roles in male mating behavior across insects. ..
- Yamamoto S, Charng W, Rana N, Kakuda S, Jaiswal M, Bayat V, et al. A mutation in EGF repeat-8 of Notch discriminates between Serrate/Jagged and Delta family ligands. Science. 2012;338:1229-32 pubmed publisher..Hence, an evolutionarily conserved valine in EGFr-8 is essential for ligand selectivity and provides a molecular handle to study numerous Notch-dependent signaling events. ..
- Chen J, Waltenspiel B, Warren W, Wagner E. Functional analysis of the integrator subunit 12 identifies a microdomain that mediates activation of the Drosophila integrator complex. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:4867-77 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results identify an unexpected interaction between the largest and smallest integrator subunits that is essential for the 3' end formation of Drosophila snRNA. ..
- Bjorum S, Simonette R, Alanis R, Wang J, Lewis B, Trejo M, et al. The Drosophila BTB domain protein Jim Lovell has roles in multiple larval and adult behaviors. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e61270 pubmed publisher..In contrast, lov(66) produces largely normal behavior but severe female sterility associated with ectopic lov expression in the ovary. We propose a negative regulatory role for the DNA deleted in lov(66) . ..
- Wu Y, Lindblad J, Garnett J, Kamber Kaya H, Xu D, Zhao Y, et al. Genetic characterization of two gain-of-function alleles of the effector caspase DrICE in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2016;23:723-32 pubmed publisher..We discuss models about how these mutations cause the gain-of-function character of these alleles. ..
- Vaca L, Sinkins W, Hu Y, Kunze D, Schilling W. Activation of recombinant trp by thapsigargin in Sf9 insect cells. Am J Physiol. 1994;267:C1501-5 pubmed..A unique proline-rich region in the COOH-terminal tail of trp, which is absent in trpl, may be necessary for capacitative Ca2+ entry...
- Edwards M, Wong C, Elledge S. Human cyclin K, a novel RNA polymerase II-associated cyclin possessing both carboxy-terminal domain kinase and Cdk-activating kinase activity. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4291-300 pubmed..Thus, cyclin K represents a new member of the "transcription" cyclin family which may play a dual role in regulating Cdk and RNAP II activity. ..
- Glossop N, Lyons L, Hardin P. Interlocked feedback loops within the Drosophila circadian oscillator. Science. 1999;286:766-8 pubmed
- Markesich D, Gajewski K, Nazimiec M, Beckingham K. bicaudal encodes the Drosophila beta NAC homolog, a component of the ribosomal translational machinery*. Development. 2000;127:559-72 pubmed..These findings suggest that repression of nanos mRNA translation occurs on the ribosome and involves a role for beta NAC. ..
- Rodney G, Williams B, Strasburg G, Beckingham K, Hamilton S. Regulation of RYR1 activity by Ca(2+) and calmodulin. Biochemistry. 2000;39:7807-12 pubmed..Furthermore, Ca(2+) binding to RYR1 enhances its affinity for both Ca(2+)-free and Ca(2+)-bound calmodulin. ..
- Callaerts P, Leng S, Clements J, Benassayag C, Cribbs D, Kang Y, et al. Drosophila Pax-6/eyeless is essential for normal adult brain structure and function. J Neurobiol. 2001;46:73-88 pubmed..Consistent with the morphological lesions, we observe defective walking behavior for these eyeless mutants. The implications of these data for understanding postembryonic brain development and function in Drosophila are discussed. ..
- Smolen P, Baxter D, Byrne J. Modeling circadian oscillations with interlocking positive and negative feedback loops. J Neurosci. 2001;21:6644-56 pubmed..Circadian oscillations were only obtained if time delays were included to represent processes not modeled in detail (e.g., transcription and translation). In both models, oscillations were preserved when positive feedback was removed. ..
- Park Y, Kelley R, Oh H, Kuroda M, Meller V. Extent of chromatin spreading determined by roX RNA recruitment of MSL proteins. Science. 2002;298:1620-3 pubmed..We propose that this local production of MSL complexes determines the extent of spreading into flanking chromatin. ..
- Yu D, Ponomarev A, Davis R. Altered representation of the spatial code for odors after olfactory classical conditioning; memory trace formation by synaptic recruitment. Neuron. 2004;42:437-49 pubmed..The rapid recruitment by conditioning of new synapses into the representation of sensory information may be a general mechanism underlying many forms of short-term memory. ..
- Bai X, Alekseyenko A, Kuroda M. Sequence-specific targeting of MSL complex regulates transcription of the roX RNA genes. EMBO J. 2004;23:2853-61 pubmed..Surprisingly, the DHS is not required for initiation of cis spreading of MSL complex, instead local transcription of roX RNAs correlates with extensive spreading. ..
- Benito J, Houl J, ROMAN G, Hardin P. The blue-light photoreceptor CRYPTOCHROME is expressed in a subset of circadian oscillator neurons in the Drosophila CNS. J Biol Rhythms. 2008;23:296-307 pubmed publisher..Oscillators in DN2s and DN3s entrain to environmental light-dark cycles, which implies that they are entrained indirectly by retinal photoreceptors, extraretinal photoreceptors, or other CRY-expressing cells. ..
- Ezzeddine N, Chen J, Waltenspiel B, Burch B, Albrecht T, Zhuo M, et al. A subset of Drosophila integrator proteins is essential for efficient U7 snRNA and spliceosomal snRNA 3'-end formation. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:328-41 pubmed publisher..Finally, flies harboring mutations in either Integrator 4 or 7 fail to complete development and accumulate significant levels of misprocessed snRNA in the larval stages. ..
- Bellen H, Levis R, He Y, Carlson J, Evans Holm M, Bae E, et al. The Drosophila gene disruption project: progress using transposons with distinctive site specificities. Genetics. 2011;188:731-43 pubmed publisher..The propensity of Minos to integrate broadly makes possible a hybrid finishing strategy for the project that will bring >95% of Drosophila genes under experimental control within their native genomic contexts. ..
- Chen C, Schroeder M, Kango Singh M, Tao C, Halder G. Tumor suppression by cell competition through regulation of the Hippo pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:484-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, cell competition acts as a tumor-suppressing mechanism by regulating the Hippo pathway in scrib(-) cells. ..
- Giagtzoglou N, Li T, Yamamoto S, Bellen H. Drosophila EHBP1 regulates Scabrous secretion during Notch-mediated lateral inhibition. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3686-96 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, dEHBP1 provides developmental versatility of intercellular signaling by regulating the trafficking of distinct Notch signaling components. ..
- Figard L, Xu H, Garcia H, Golding I, Sokac A. The plasma membrane flattens out to fuel cell-surface growth during Drosophila cellularization. Dev Cell. 2013;27:648-55 pubmed publisher..We conclude that plasma membrane folding/unfolding can contribute to the cell-shape changes that promote embryonic morphogenesis. ..
- Sanhueza M, Chai A, Smith C, McCray B, Simpson T, Taylor J, et al. Network analyses reveal novel aspects of ALS pathogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005107 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results not only lead to a better understanding of hVAPB function but also point to potentially relevant targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Cook M, Cazin C, Amoyel M, Yamamoto S, Bach E, Nystul T. Neutral Competition for Drosophila Follicle and Cyst Stem Cell Niches Requires Vesicle Trafficking Genes. Genetics. 2017;206:1417-1428 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a critical role for vesicle trafficking in stem cell niche competition and differentiation, and we identify a number of putative candidates for further exploration. ..
- Tsai C, Anderson A, Burra S, Jo J, Galko M. Yorkie regulates epidermal wound healing in Drosophila larvae independently of cell proliferation and apoptosis. Dev Biol. 2017;427:61-71 pubmed publisher..In sum, we found that Yki regulates an epithelial tissue repair process independently of its previously documented roles in balancing proliferation and apoptosis. ..
- Botas J, Auwers L. Chromosomal binding sites of Ultrabithorax homeotic proteins. Mech Dev. 1996;56:129-38 pubmed..Some of these sites correspond to the locations of known genes that are good candidates, or are known to be, under direct Ubx control. ..
- Dauwalder B, Amaya Manzanares F, Mattox W. A human homologue of the Drosophila sex determination factor transformer-2 has conserved splicing regulatory functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9004-9 pubmed
- Coustry F, Sinha S, Maity S, Crombrugghe B. The two activation domains of the CCAAT-binding factor CBF interact with the dTAFII110 component of the Drosophila TFIID complex. Biochem J. 1998;331 ( Pt 1):291-7 pubmed..In CBF-C the C-terminal portion of the molecule seems to be needed for these two activities. Our results suggest that TAF110 might represent one of the co-activators that mediate transcriptional activation by CBF. ..
- Prakash S, Van den Veyver I, Franco B, Volta M, Ballabio A, Zoghbi H. Characterization of a novel chromo domain gene in xp22.3 with homology to Drosophila msl-3. Genomics. 1999;59:77-84 pubmed..3 and was evaluated as a candidate gene for several developmental disorders mapping to this region, including OFD1 and SED tarda, as well as Aicardi syndrome and Goltz syndrome. ..
- Schulz R, Gajewski K. Ventral neuroblasts and the heartless FGF receptor are required for muscle founder cell specification in Drosophila. Oncogene. 1999;18:6818-23 pubmed..These results suggest the use of a neuroectoderm-to-mesoderm signaling pathway in the specification of ventral muscle precursors. ..
- Martini S, Roman G, Meuser S, Mardon G, Davis R. The retinal determination gene, dachshund, is required for mushroom body cell differentiation. Development. 2000;127:2663-72 pubmed..Thus, dachshund functions in the developing mushroom body neurons to ensure their proper differentiation. ..
- Davis R, Shen W, Sandler Y, Heanue T, Mardon G. Characterization of mouse Dach2, a homologue of Drosophila dachshund. Mech Dev. 2001;102:169-79 pubmed..The identification of human DACH2 sequences at Xq21 suggests a possible role for this gene in Allan-Herndon syndrome, Miles-Carpenter syndrome, X-linked cleft palate and/or Megalocornea. ..
- Singh A, Choi K. Initial state of the Drosophila eye before dorsoventral specification is equivalent to ventral. Development. 2003;130:6351-60 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that early state of the eye prior to DV lineage restriction is equivalent to ventral and requires L and Ser gene function. ..
- McGuire S, Le P, Osborn A, Matsumoto K, Davis R. Spatiotemporal rescue of memory dysfunction in Drosophila. Science. 2003;302:1765-8 pubmed..The TARGET system offers general utility in simultaneously addressing issues of when and where gene products are required. ..
- Nam S, Choi K. Domain-specific early and late function of Dpatj in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1501-7 pubmed..Our study provides evidence that Dpatj has domain-specific early and late functions in regulating the localization and stability of the Crb-Sdt complex in photoreceptor cells. ..
- Ferris J, Ge H, Liu L, Roman G. G(o) signaling is required for Drosophila associative learning. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:1036-40 pubmed..PTX expression also does not interact genetically with a rutabaga adenylyl cyclase loss-of-function mutation. Thus, G(o) defines a new signaling pathway required in mushroom body neurons for the formation of associative memory. ..
- Qi J, Su S, McGuffin M, Mattox W. Concentration dependent selection of targets by an SR splicing regulator results in tissue-specific RNA processing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2006;34:6256-63 pubmed..We propose that quantitative differences in regulator expression can give rise to cell-type-specific restrictions in splicing. ..
- Koh T, Korolchuk V, Wairkar Y, Jiao W, Evergren E, Pan H, et al. Eps15 and Dap160 control synaptic vesicle membrane retrieval and synapse development. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:309-22 pubmed..Based on these data, we hypothesize that Eps15 and Dap160 promote the efficiency of endocytosis from the plasma membrane by maintaining high concentrations of multiple endocytic proteins, including dynamin, at synapses. ..
- Fan Y, Bergmann A. Apoptosis-induced compensatory proliferation. The Cell is dead. Long live the Cell!. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:467-73 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize these findings and discuss how activation of apoptosis is linked to the process of compensatory proliferation. The developmental and pathological relevance of compensatory proliferation is also discussed. ..
- Herz H, Madden L, Chen Z, Bolduc C, Buff E, Gupta R, et al. The H3K27me3 demethylase dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rb-dependent tumors in Drosophila. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:2485-97 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data suggest that dUTX is a suppressor of Notch- and Rbf-dependent tumors in Drosophila melanogaster and may provide a model for UTX-dependent tumorigenesis in humans. ..
- Prabhakaran M, Kelley R. A new strategy for isolating genes controlling dosage compensation in Drosophila using a simple epigenetic mosaic eye phenotype. BMC Biol. 2010;8:80 pubmed publisher..This strategy is a promising alternative route for identifying previously unknown components of the dosage compensation pathway and novel alleles of known MSL proteins. ..
- Flores E, Halder G. Stem cell proliferation in the skin: alpha-catenin takes over the hippo pathway. Sci Signal. 2011;4:pe34 pubmed publisher..Understanding the pathways that regulate the proliferation of stem cells in the skin holds promise for reversing the aging process and tumor development. ..
- Hu Y, Vaca L, Zhu X, Birnbaumer L, Kunze D, Schilling W. Appearance of a novel Ca2+ influx pathway in Sf9 insect cells following expression of the transient receptor potential-like (trpl) protein of Drosophila. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;201:1050-6 pubmed..The results suggest that expression of trpl is associated with appearance of a Ca2+ permeable, non-selective cation channel formed by the trpl protein. ..
- James B, Staatz W, Wilkinson S, Meuillet E, Powis G. Superoxide dismutase is regulated by LAMMER kinase in Drosophila and human cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;46:821-7 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that SOD1 is negatively regulated by LAMMER kinases in Drosophila and human cell lines and that this regulation may be conserved during evolution. ..
- Chen J, Ezzeddine N, Waltenspiel B, Albrecht T, Warren W, Marzluff W, et al. An RNAi screen identifies additional members of the Drosophila Integrator complex and a requirement for cyclin C/Cdk8 in snRNA 3'-end formation. RNA. 2012;18:2148-56 pubmed publisher..These data functionally define the Drosophila Integrator complex and demonstrate an additional function for cyclin C/Cdk8 unrelated to its function in Mediator. ..
- Lilly B, Galewsky S, Firulli A, Schulz R, Olson E. D-MEF2: a MADS box transcription factor expressed in differentiating mesoderm and muscle cell lineages during Drosophila embryogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:5662-6 pubmed..Its temporal and spatial expression patterns suggest that D-mef2 may play an important role in commitment of mesoderm to myogenic lineages. ..
- Qian S, Capovilla M, Pirrotta V. Molecular mechanisms of pattern formation by the BRE enhancer of the Ubx gene. EMBO J. 1993;12:3865-77 pubmed..Our results also suggest that this interaction is short-range and the long distance interactions among different enhancers may depend on each enhancer's ability to complex with the promoter. ..
- Shen W, Mardon G. Ectopic eye development in Drosophila induced by directed dachshund expression. Development. 1997;124:45-52 pubmed..These results suggest that the control of eye development requires the complex interaction of multiple genes, even at the very highest regulatory levels. ..
- Rincon Limas D, Lu C, Canal I, Calleja M, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J, et al. Conservation of the expression and function of apterous orthologs in Drosophila and mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2165-70 pubmed..These results demonstrate the conservation of Ap protein function across phyla and argue that aspects of its expression pattern have also been conserved from a common ancestor of insects and vertebrates. ..
- Lu C, Rincon Limas D, Botas J. Conserved overlapping and reciprocal expression of msh/Msx1 and apterous/Lhx2 in Drosophila and mice. Mech Dev. 2000;99:177-81 pubmed..These observations suggest conservation in the regulation of these genes between Drosophila and mice. ..
- Smolen P, Baxter D, Byrne J. A reduced model clarifies the role of feedback loops and time delays in the Drosophila circadian oscillator. Biophys J. 2002;83:2349-59 pubmed..Such reduced models can aid understanding of the oscillation mechanisms in Drosophila and in other organisms in which feedback regulation of transcription may play an important role. ..
- Liang Y, Lin X, Liang M, Brunicardi F, Ten Dijke P, Chen Z, et al. dSmurf selectively degrades decapentaplegic-activated MAD, and its overexpression disrupts imaginal disc development. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26307-10 pubmed..We conclude that dSmurf specifically targets phosphorylated MAD to proteasome-dependent degradation and regulates DPP signaling during development. ..
- Koh T, Verstreken P, Bellen H. Dap160/intersectin acts as a stabilizing scaffold required for synaptic development and vesicle endocytosis. Neuron. 2004;43:193-205 pubmed..Our data suggest that Dap160, like dynamin, is involved in synaptic vesicle retrieval at active and periactive zones. ..
- Singh A, Shi X, Choi K. Lobe and Serrate are required for cell survival during early eye development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4771-81 pubmed..5-fold higher frequency. This suggests that L or Ser loss-of-function triggers both caspase-dependent and -independent cell death. Our studies thus identify a mechanism responsible for cell survival in the early eye. ..
- Qi J, Su S, Mattox W. The doublesex splicing enhancer components Tra2 and Rbp1 also repress splicing through an intronic silencer. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:699-708 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that functionally synergistic interactions of these SR factors can cause either splicing activation or repression...
- Tien A, Rajan A, Schulze K, Ryoo H, Acar M, Steller H, et al. Ero1L, a thiol oxidase, is required for Notch signaling through cysteine bridge formation of the Lin12-Notch repeats in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:1113-25 pubmed publisher..These LNRs are unique to the Notch family of proteins. Therefore, we have uncovered an unexpected requirement for Ero1L in the maturation of the Notch receptor. ..
- Howlett E, Lin C, Lavery W, Stern M. A PI3-kinase-mediated negative feedback regulates neuronal excitability. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000277 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that some of the deficits in these neurological disorders might result from disruption of glutamate-mediated homeostasis of neuronal excitability. ..
- Andrews H, Giagtzoglou N, Yamamoto S, Schulze K, Bellen H. Sequoia regulates cell fate decisions in the external sensory organs of adult Drosophila. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:636-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, Sequoia is a new upstream regulator of genes that orchestrates cell fate specification during development of the adult ESO lineage. ..
- Jain A, Barton M. Regulation of p53: TRIM24 enters the RING. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:3668-74 pubmed..We discuss various scenarios for selectivity in choice of E3-ligase targeting p53 for degradation. ..
- Anderson A, Karandikar U, Pepple K, Chen Z, Bergmann A, Mardon G. The enhancer of trithorax and polycomb gene Caf1/p55 is essential for cell survival and patterning in Drosophila development. Development. 2011;138:1957-66 pubmed publisher..More importantly, our mutant phenotypes confirm that Caf1-mediated silencing is vital to Drosophila development. These studies underscore the importance of Caf1 and its mammalian homologs in development and disease. ..
- Xu S, Chan T, Shah V, Zhang S, Pletcher S, Roman G. The propensity for consuming ethanol in Drosophila requires rutabaga adenylyl cyclase expression within mushroom body neurons. Genes Brain Behav. 2012;11:727-39 pubmed publisher..Together these data implicate cAMP signaling and behavioral reinforcement for preferred ethanol self-administration in D. melanogaster. ..
- Fan Y, Wang S, Hernandez J, Yenigun V, Hertlein G, Fogarty C, et al. Genetic models of apoptosis-induced proliferation decipher activation of JNK and identify a requirement of EGFR signaling for tissue regenerative responses in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004131 pubmed publisher..These data underscore the importance of genetic screening and promise an improved understanding of the mechanisms of apoptosis-induced proliferation. ..
- Acar M, Jafar Nejad H, Takeuchi H, Rajan A, Ibrani D, Rana N, et al. Rumi is a CAP10 domain glycosyltransferase that modifies Notch and is required for Notch signaling. Cell. 2008;132:247-58 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that by O-glucosylating Notch in the ER, Rumi regulates its folding and/or trafficking and allows signaling at the cell membrane. ..
- Joshi M, Moran S, Beckingham K, MacKenzie K. Structure of androcam supports specialized interactions with myosin VI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:13290-5 pubmed publisher..We discuss how gene duplication and mutations that selectively stabilize one of the many conformations available to calmodulin support the molecular evolution of structurally and functionally distinct calmodulin-like proteins. ..
- Rastelli L, Chan C, Pirrotta V. Related chromosome binding sites for zeste, suppressors of zeste and Polycomb group proteins in Drosophila and their dependence on Enhancer of zeste function. EMBO J. 1993;12:1513-22 pubmed
- Kelley R, Wang J, Bell L, Kuroda M. Sex lethal controls dosage compensation in Drosophila by a non-splicing mechanism. Nature. 1997;387:195-9 pubmed..Thus, this well characterized alternative splicing factor regulates at least one target transcript by a distinct mechanism. ..
- Bellen H, Lu Y, Beckstead R, Bhat M. Neurexin IV, caspr and paranodin--novel members of the neurexin family: encounters of axons and glia. Trends Neurosci. 1998;21:444-9 pubmed..Caspr/paranodin might play an important role in barrier formation, and link neuronal membrane components with the axonal cytoskeletal network. ..
- Bauer R, McGuffin M, Mattox W, Tainsky M. Cloning and characterization of the Drosophila homologue of the AP-2 transcription factor. Oncogene. 1998;17:1911-22 pubmed..The cloning of DAP-2 and the identification of the DAP-2 expression pattern during embryogenesis provides a starting point to address the function of AP-2 during differentiation and development in a well understood model system. ..
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Senseless, a Zn finger transcription factor, is necessary and sufficient for sensory organ development in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;102:349-62 pubmed..Sens is then in turn required to further activate and maintain proneural gene expression. This feedback mechanism is essential for selective enhancement and maintenance of proneural gene expression in the SOPs. ..
- Lim J, Choi K. Bar homeodomain proteins are anti-proneural in the Drosophila eye: transcriptional repression of atonal by Bar prevents ectopic retinal neurogenesis. Development. 2003;130:5965-74 pubmed..Thus, we propose that Bar is essential for transcriptional repression of ato and the prevention of ectopic neurogenesis behind the furrow. ..
- Pesah Y, Pham T, Burgess H, Middlebrooks B, Verstreken P, Zhou Y, et al. Drosophila parkin mutants have decreased mass and cell size and increased sensitivity to oxygen radical stress. Development. 2004;131:2183-94 pubmed..parkin mutants will be a valuable model for future analysis of the mechanisms of cell and tissue degeneration. ..
- Frankfort B, Pepple K, Mamlouk M, Rose M, Mardon G. Senseless is required for pupal retinal development in Drosophila. Genesis. 2004;38:182-94 pubmed..In particular, EGFR signaling is not required for interommatidial bristle development, nor is positive feedback regulation of proneural genes by senseless. A model for interommatidial bristle specification is presented. ..
- Szafranski P, Goode S. Basolateral junctions are sufficient to suppress epithelial invasion during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:364-73 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that spatiotemporal patterns of basolateral junction activity directly suppress epithelial invasion by organizing the cooperative activity of distinct polarity and motility pathways. ..
- Lavery W, Hall V, Yager J, Rottgers A, Wells M, Stern M. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and Akt nonautonomously promote perineurial glial growth in Drosophila peripheral nerves. J Neurosci. 2007;27:279-88 pubmed..Our results raise the possibility that neurofibroma formation in individuals with neurofibromatosis might result in part from a Ras-PI3K-Akt-dependent inhibition of FOXO within Schwann cells. ..
- Lim J, Lee O, Hsu Y, Singh A, Choi K. Drosophila TRAP230/240 are essential coactivators for Atonal in retinal neurogenesis. Dev Biol. 2007;308:322-30 pubmed..We also show that Skd forms a protein complex with Ato in vivo. These data suggest that Kto/Skd act as essential coactivators for Ato expression during early retinal neurogenesis. ..
- Zhang W, Wang D, Volk E, Bellen H, Hiesinger P, Quiocho F. V-ATPase V0 sector subunit a1 in neurons is a target of calmodulin. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:294-300 pubmed..Neuronal expression of a calmodulin-binding deficient V100 uncovers an incomplete rescue at low levels and cellular toxicity at high levels. Our results suggest a vesicular ATPase V(0)-dependent function of calmodulin at synapses. ..
- Verstreken P, Ohyama T, Haueter C, Habets R, Lin Y, Swan L, et al. Tweek, an evolutionarily conserved protein, is required for synaptic vesicle recycling. Neuron. 2009;63:203-15 pubmed publisher..Our data implicate Tweek in regulating synaptic vesicle recycling via an action mediated at least in part by the regulation of PI(4,5)P(2) levels or availability at the synapse. ..
- Mukhopadhyay B, Nam S, Choi K. Kinesin II is required for cell survival and adherens junction positioning in Drosophila photoreceptors. Genesis. 2010;48:522-30 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that Kinesin II complex plays a cell type-specific function in the localization of AJ and cell polarity proteins in the developing retina, thereby contributing to photoreceptor morphogenesis. ..
- Evans S, Leventakos K, Ben Ami R, You D, Thakkar S, Lewis R, et al. Toll-deficient Drosophila are resistant to infection by Pneumocystis spp.: additional evidence of specificity to mammalian hosts. Virulence. 2010;1:523-5 pubmed..murina or P. carinii. Whereas the pathogens were competent in susceptible mice, no infection could be established even in corticosteroid-treated Toll-deficient flies. This further substantiates the tropism described for mammalian hosts. ..
- Shen M, Mattox W. Activation and repression functions of an SR splicing regulator depend on exonic versus intronic-binding position. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:428-37 pubmed publisher..This suggests a model in which these two opposite functions act in concert to define both the position and extent of alternatively spliced exons. ..
- Soibam B, Goldfeder R, Manson Bishop C, Gamblin R, Pletcher S, Shah S, et al. Modeling Drosophila positional preferences in open field arenas with directional persistence and wall attraction. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46570 pubmed publisher..Hence, the two-component model is an important step in defining how Drosophila interact with their environment. ..
- Jusiak B, Abulimiti A, Haelterman N, Chen R, Mardon G. MAPK target sites of eyes absent are not required for eye development or survival in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50776 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate similar genomic rescue strategies may prove useful for re-evaluating other long-standing Drosophila developmental models. ..
- Sansores Garcia L, Atkins M, Moya I, Shahmoradgoli M, Tao C, Mills G, et al. Mask is required for the activity of the Hippo pathway effector Yki/YAP. Curr Biol. 2013;23:229-35 pubmed publisher..Additionally, elevated MASK1 expression is associated with worsened outcomes for breast cancer patients. We conclude that Mask is a novel cofactor for Yki/YAP required for optimal Yki/YAP activity during development and oncogenesis. ..