Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- Wu M, Fergestad T, Lloyd T, He Y, Broadie K, Bellen H. Syntaxin 1A interacts with multiple exocytic proteins to regulate neurotransmitter release in vivo. Neuron. 1999;23:593-605 pubmed
- Schwartz R, Olson E. Building the heart piece by piece: modularity of cis-elements regulating Nkx2-5 transcription. Development. 1999;126:4187-92 pubmed..We consider the potential mechanisms underlying such transcriptional complexity, its possible significance for cardiac function, and the implications for evolution of the multichambered heart. ..
- Hassan B, Bellen H. Doing the MATH: is the mouse a good model for fly development?. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1852-65 pubmed
- Schaefer L, Wang S, Schaefer T. Functional interaction of Jun and homeodomain proteins. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43074-82 pubmed..We conclude that the functional interaction between members of the Jun and homeodomain families of transcription factors could play a critical role in regulating developmental and differentiation programs. ..
- Caldwell P, Walkiewicz M, Stern M. Ras activity in the Drosophila prothoracic gland regulates body size and developmental rate via ecdysone release. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1785-95 pubmed..We also suggest that ecdysone release is regulated in two ways: a PI3K-dependent growth-promoting effect on PG cells, and a Raf-dependent step that may involve the transcriptional regulation of ecdysone biosynthetic genes. ..
- Nam S, Choi K. Domain-specific early and late function of Dpatj in Drosophila photoreceptor cells. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:1501-7 pubmed..Our study provides evidence that Dpatj has domain-specific early and late functions in regulating the localization and stability of the Crb-Sdt complex in photoreceptor cells. ..
- Bellen H, Tong C, Tsuda H. 100 years of Drosophila research and its impact on vertebrate neuroscience: a history lesson for the future. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2010;11:514-22 pubmed publisher..The combinational use of powerful research tools will ensure that this model organism will continue to lead to key discoveries that will impact vertebrate neuroscience. ..
- Follansbee T, Gjelsvik K, Brann C, McParland A, Longhurst C, Galko M, et al. Drosophila Nociceptive Sensitization Requires BMP Signaling via the Canonical SMAD Pathway. J Neurosci. 2017;37:8524-8533 pubmed publisher..2012). Because nociceptive sensitization is associated with chronic pain, these findings indicate that human BMP pathway components may represent targets for novel pain-relieving drugs. ..
- Qian S, Varjavand B, Pirrotta V. Molecular analysis of the zeste-white interaction reveals a promoter-proximal element essential for distant enhancer-promoter communication. Genetics. 1992;131:79-90 pubmed..This element may serve as an anchor to stabilize formation of a loop that brings the enhancer to the vicinity of the promoter. ..
- Chandler D, McGuffin M, Piskur J, Yao J, Baker B, Mattox W. Evolutionary conservation of regulatory strategies for the sex determination factor transformer-2. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2908-19 pubmed..melanogaster and D. virilis is accomplished under the control of similar regulatory pathways...
- Coulter L, Landree M, Cooper T. Identification of a new class of exonic splicing enhancers by in vivo selection. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2143-50 pubmed..We suggest the possibility that the dsx enhancer is a member of a previously unrecognized family of ACEs. ..
- Lee S, Weiss R, Javier R. Binding of human virus oncoproteins to hDlg/SAP97, a mammalian homolog of the Drosophila discs large tumor suppressor protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6670-5 pubmed
- McGuffin M, Chandler D, Somaiya D, Dauwalder B, Mattox W. Autoregulation of transformer-2 alternative splicing is necessary for normal male fertility in Drosophila. Genetics. 1998;149:1477-86 pubmed..Our results suggest that autoregulation of TRA-2(226) expression in male germ cells is necessary for normal spermatogenesis. ..
- Chen R, Halder G, Zhang Z, Mardon G. Signaling by the TGF-beta homolog decapentaplegic functions reiteratively within the network of genes controlling retinal cell fate determination in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:935-43 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism by which a general patterning signal such as Decapentaplegic cooperates reiteratively with tissue-specific factors to determine distinct cell fates during development. ..
- Kelley R, Meller V, Gordadze P, Roman G, Davis R, Kuroda M. Epigenetic spreading of the Drosophila dosage compensation complex from roX RNA genes into flanking chromatin. Cell. 1999;98:513-22 pubmed..The spreading can occur in cis or in trans between paired homologs. We present a model for how the dosage compensation complex recognizes X chromatin. ..
- Kageyama Y, Mengus G, Gilfillan G, Kennedy H, Stuckenholz C, Kelley R, et al. Association and spreading of the Drosophila dosage compensation complex from a discrete roX1 chromatin entry site. EMBO J. 2001;20:2236-45 pubmed..When inserted on autosomes, this small roX1 segment is sufficient to produce an ectopic chromatin entry site that can nucleate binding and spreading of the MSL complex hundreds of kilobases into neighboring regions. ..
- Gajewski K, Wang J, Molkentin J, Chen E, Olson E, Schulz R. Requirement of the calcineurin subunit gene canB2 for indirect flight muscle formation in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:1040-5 pubmed
- Andruss B, Bolduc C, Beckingham K. Movement of calmodulin between cells in the ovary and embryo of drosophila. Genesis. 2004;38:93-103 pubmed..These findings indicate dynamic, unsuspected elements to the in vivo functions of CaM in the whole organism. ..
- Al Ramahi I, Perez A, Lim J, Zhang M, Sorensen R, de Haro M, et al. dAtaxin-2 mediates expanded Ataxin-1-induced neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of SCA1. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e234 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these findings reveal a previously unknown functional link between neurodegenerative disorders with common clinical features but different etiology. ..
- Lee Y, Moore D. Liver receptor homolog-1, an emerging metabolic modulator. Front Biosci. 2008;13:5950-8 pubmed..This intriguing discovery raises the possibility of an unexpected new class of nuclear receptor signaling molecules, but the broader functional roles of LRH-1 and these new ligands remain to be established. ..
- Tomchik S, Davis R. Dynamics of learning-related cAMP signaling and stimulus integration in the Drosophila olfactory pathway. Neuron. 2009;64:510-21 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that rutabaga functions as a coincidence detector in an intact neuronal circuit, with dopamine and octopamine bidirectionally influencing the generation of cAMP...
- Akalal D, Yu D, Davis R. A late-phase, long-term memory trace forms in the ? neurons of Drosophila mushroom bodies after olfactory classical conditioning. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16699-708 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that behavioral long-term olfactory memory is encoded as modifications of calcium influx into distinct MB neurons during overlapping but different windows of time after training. ..
- Wong C, Li R, Montell C, Venkatachalam K. Drosophila TRPML is required for TORC1 activation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1616-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings delineate the interrelationship between the TRPML and TORC1 pathways and raise the intriguing possibility that a high-protein diet might reduce the severity of MLIV. ..
- Huang W, Zhu P, Zhang S, Zhou H, Stoica L, Galiano M, et al. mTORC2 controls actin polymerization required for consolidation of long-term memory. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:441-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, a compound that promoted mTORC2 activity converted early LTP into late LTP and enhanced LTM. Thus, mTORC2 could be a therapeutic target for the treatment of cognitive dysfunction. ..
- Giagtzoglou N, Li T, Yamamoto S, Bellen H. Drosophila EHBP1 regulates Scabrous secretion during Notch-mediated lateral inhibition. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3686-96 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, dEHBP1 provides developmental versatility of intercellular signaling by regulating the trafficking of distinct Notch signaling components. ..
- Wang S, Kim B, Ding K, Wang H, Sun D, Johnson R, et al. Requirement for math5 in the development of retinal ganglion cells. Genes Dev. 2001;15:24-9 pubmed..These results imply that math5 is a proneural gene essential for RGC differentiation and that math5 acts upstream to activate brn-3b-dependent differentiation processes in RGCs. ..
- Jin J, Harper J. RING finger specificity in SCF-driven protein destruction. Dev Cell. 2002;2:685-7 pubmed
- Benito J, Houl J, ROMAN G, Hardin P. The blue-light photoreceptor CRYPTOCHROME is expressed in a subset of circadian oscillator neurons in the Drosophila CNS. J Biol Rhythms. 2008;23:296-307 pubmed publisher..Oscillators in DN2s and DN3s entrain to environmental light-dark cycles, which implies that they are entrained indirectly by retinal photoreceptors, extraretinal photoreceptors, or other CRY-expressing cells. ..
- Alvarez R, Ghalayini A, Xu P, Hardcastle A, Bhattacharya S, Rao P, et al. cDNA sequence and gene locus of the human retinal phosphoinositide-specific phospholipase-C beta 4 (PLCB4). Genomics. 1995;29:53-61 pubmed..Somatic cell hybrids and deletion panels were used to localize the PCLB4 gene to the short arm of chromosome 20. The gene was further sublocalized to 20p12 by fluorescence in situ hybridization. ..
- Wu M, Littleton J, Bhat M, Prokop A, Bellen H. ROP, the Drosophila Sec1 homolog, interacts with syntaxin and regulates neurotransmitter release in a dosage-dependent manner. EMBO J. 1998;17:127-39 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that ROP interacts with syntaxin in vivo and is a rate-limiting regulator of exocytosis that performs both positive and inhibitory functions in neurotransmission. ..
- Kehl B, Cho K, Choi K. mirror, a Drosophila homeobox gene in the Iroquois complex, is required for sensory organ and alula formation. Development. 1998;125:1217-27 pubmed
- Prokopenko S, Saint R, Bellen H. Untying the Gordian knot of cytokinesis. Role of small G proteins and their regulators. J Cell Biol. 2000;148:843-8 pubmed
- Beck C, Schroeder B, Davis R. Learning performance of normal and mutant Drosophila after repeated conditioning trials with discrete stimuli. J Neurosci. 2000;20:2944-53 pubmed..Thus, the effect is short-lived. The utility of using a battery of tests, including a single short trial, two massed trials, and two spaced trials, to investigate parameters of memory formation in several mutants was demonstrated. ..
- Zhou Z, Rodriguez A, Wu C, Kimbrell D. Drosophila cellular immune system: Dorothy encodes a UDP glycosyltransferase. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2001;484:251-63 pubmed
- Verstreken P, Bellen H. Neuroscience. The meaning of a mini. Science. 2001;293:443-4 pubmed
- Wang V, Hassan B, Bellen H, Zoghbi H. Drosophila atonal fully rescues the phenotype of Math1 null mice: new functions evolve in new cellular contexts. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1611-6 pubmed..We wondered whether ato and Math1 might be more functionally homologous than they appear, so we expressed Math1 in ato mutant flies and ato in Math1 null mice. To our surprise, the two proteins are functionally interchangeable. ..
- Glossop N, Houl J, Zheng H, Ng F, Dudek S, Hardin P. VRILLE feeds back to control circadian transcription of Clock in the Drosophila circadian oscillator. Neuron. 2003;37:249-61 pubmed..The blue light photoreceptor encoding cryptochrome (cry) gene is also a target for VRI repression, suggesting a broader role for VRI in the rhythmic repression of output genes that cycle in phase with Clk. ..
- Mehta S, Hiesinger P, Beronja S, Zhai R, Schulze K, Verstreken P, et al. Mutations in Drosophila sec15 reveal a function in neuronal targeting for a subset of exocyst components. Neuron. 2005;46:219-32 pubmed..The data also show that functions of other exocyst components persist in the absence of sec15, suggesting that different exocyst components have separable functions. ..
- Eder A, Sui X, Rosen D, Nolden L, Cheng K, Lahad J, et al. Atypical PKCiota contributes to poor prognosis through loss of apical-basal polarity and cyclin E overexpression in ovarian cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:12519-24 pubmed..These results implicate PKCiota as a potential oncogene in ovarian cancer regulating epithelial cell polarity and proliferation and suggest that PKCiota is a novel target for therapy. ..
- Morrison C, Halder G. Characterization of a dorsal-eye Gal4 Line in Drosophila. Genesis. 2010;48:3-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we use functional tests to show that the DE-Gal4 line is a useful tool with which to manipulate gene expression in half of the developing eye. ..
- Chen X, Ni F, Tian X, Kondrashkina E, Wang Q, Ma J. Structural basis of actin filament nucleation by tandem W domains. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1910-20 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the double-mutant strategy opens the way for atomic mechanistic study of actin nucleation and polymerization. ..
- Wangler M, Chao Y, Bayat V, Giagtzoglou N, Shinde A, Putluri N, et al. Peroxisomal biogenesis is genetically and biochemically linked to carbohydrate metabolism in Drosophila and mouse. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006825 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate an unexpected link between these two metabolic processes and suggest metabolism of carbohydrates could be a new therapeutic target for patients with PBD. ..
- Chen R, Amoui M, Zhang Z, Mardon G. Dachshund and eyes absent proteins form a complex and function synergistically to induce ectopic eye development in Drosophila. Cell. 1997;91:893-903 pubmed..We propose that a conserved regulatory network, rather than a linear hierarchy, controls retinal specification and involves multiple protein complexes that function during distinct steps of eye development. ..
- Chandler D, Qi J, Mattox W. Direct repression of splicing by transformer-2. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:5174-85 pubmed..Although required for repression, the element also enhances M1 splicing in the absence of Tra2. We propose that Tra2 represses M1 splicing by interacting with multiple sequences in the pre-mRNA and interfering with enhancer function. ..
- Fan Y, Bergmann A. Apoptosis-induced compensatory proliferation. The Cell is dead. Long live the Cell!. Trends Cell Biol. 2008;18:467-73 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize these findings and discuss how activation of apoptosis is linked to the process of compensatory proliferation. The developmental and pathological relevance of compensatory proliferation is also discussed. ..
- Woodfield S, Graves H, Hernandez J, Bergmann A. De-regulation of JNK and JAK/STAT signaling in ESCRT-II mutant tissues cooperatively contributes to neoplastic tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56021 pubmed publisher..This is the first rigorous study of tissues predominantly mutant for endocytic nTSGs and provides clear evidence for cooperation among de-regulated signaling pathways leading to tumorigenesis. ..
- Schulz R, Hogue D, The S. Characterization of lethal alleles of D-elg, an ets proto-oncogene related gene with multiple functions in Drosophila development. Oncogene. 1993;8:3369-74 pubmed..The cloning and sequencing of the lethal alleles identified molecular mutations that may result in ELG protein truncation, altered ELG protein interactions, or defective D-elg mRNA splicing. ..
- Bauer R, McGuffin M, Mattox W, Tainsky M. Cloning and characterization of the Drosophila homologue of the AP-2 transcription factor. Oncogene. 1998;17:1911-22 pubmed..The cloning of DAP-2 and the identification of the DAP-2 expression pattern during embryogenesis provides a starting point to address the function of AP-2 during differentiation and development in a well understood model system. ..
- Xu D, Li Y, Arcaro M, Lackey M, Bergmann A. The CARD-carrying caspase Dronc is essential for most, but not all, developmental cell death in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2125-34 pubmed..We also constructed double mutant flies for dronc and the apoptosis inhibitor diap1. dronc mutants can rescue the ovarian degeneration phenotype caused by diap1 mutations, confirming that dronc acts genetically downstream of diap1. ..
- Hamaratoglu F, Willecke M, Kango Singh M, Nolo R, Hyun E, Tao C, et al. The tumour-suppressor genes NF2/Merlin and Expanded act through Hippo signalling to regulate cell proliferation and apoptosis. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:27-36 pubmed..Our genetic and biochemical data place Merlin and Expanded upstream of Hippo and identify a pathway through which they act as tumour-suppressor genes. ..
- CUKIER H, Perez A, Collins A, Zhou Z, Zoghbi H, Botas J. Genetic modifiers of MeCP2 function in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000179 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that anatomical and behavioral phenotypes caused by MeCP2 activity can be ameliorated by altering other factors that might be more amenable to manipulation than MeCP2 itself. ..
- Tong C, Ohyama T, Tien A, Rajan A, Haueter C, Bellen H. Rich regulates target specificity of photoreceptor cells and N-cadherin trafficking in the Drosophila visual system via Rab6. Neuron. 2011;71:447-59 pubmed publisher..The active form of Rab6 strongly suppresses the rich synaptic specificity defect, indicating that Rab6 is regulated by Rich. We propose that Rich activates Rab6 to regulate N-Cadherin trafficking and affects synaptic specificity. ..
- Capovilla M, Botas J. Functional dominance among Hox genes: repression dominates activation in the regulation of Dpp. Development. 1998;125:4949-57 pubmed..Thus, these results suggest that other cases of Hox competition and functional dominance may also be understood in terms of competition for target gene regulation in which repression dominates over activation. ..
- Houl J, Yu W, Dudek S, Hardin P. Drosophila CLOCK is constitutively expressed in circadian oscillator and non-oscillator cells. J Biol Rhythms. 2006;21:93-103 pubmed
- Koh T, Korolchuk V, Wairkar Y, Jiao W, Evergren E, Pan H, et al. Eps15 and Dap160 control synaptic vesicle membrane retrieval and synapse development. J Cell Biol. 2007;178:309-22 pubmed..Based on these data, we hypothesize that Eps15 and Dap160 promote the efficiency of endocytosis from the plasma membrane by maintaining high concentrations of multiple endocytic proteins, including dynamin, at synapses. ..
- Myers E, Frankino W. Time in a bottle: the evolutionary fate of species discrimination in sibling Drosophila species. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31759 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the interplay between populations in establishing the presence or absence of patterns consistent with reinforcement. ..
- Bayat V, Thiffault I, Jaiswal M, Tetreault M, Donti T, Sasarman F, et al. Mutations in the mitochondrial methionyl-tRNA synthetase cause a neurodegenerative phenotype in flies and a recessive ataxia (ARSAL) in humans. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001288 pubmed publisher..Patient cells also exhibited reduced Complex I activity, increased ROS, and a slower cell proliferation rate, similar to Drosophila Aats-met mutants...
- Dauwalder B, Amaya Manzanares F, Mattox W. A human homologue of the Drosophila sex determination factor transformer-2 has conserved splicing regulatory functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:9004-9 pubmed
- Gajewski K, Fossett N, Molkentin J, Schulz R. The zinc finger proteins Pannier and GATA4 function as cardiogenic factors in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:5679-88 pubmed..The related GATA4 protein of mice likewise functions as a cardiogenic factor in Drosophila, demonstrating an evolutionarily conserved function between Pannier and GATA4 in heart development. ..
- Schulz R, Miksch J, Xie X, Cornish J, Galewsky S. Expression of the Drosophila gonadal gene: alternative promoters control the germ-line expression of monocistronic and bicistronic gene transcripts. Development. 1990;108:613-22 pubmed..These studies also reveal that separable transcription control elements are responsible for gdl expression in the male and female germ lines. ..
- Rincon Limas D, Lu C, Canal I, Calleja M, Rodriguez Esteban C, Izpisua Belmonte J, et al. Conservation of the expression and function of apterous orthologs in Drosophila and mammals. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2165-70 pubmed..These results demonstrate the conservation of Ap protein function across phyla and argue that aspects of its expression pattern have also been conserved from a common ancestor of insects and vertebrates. ..
- Liu X, Buchanan M, Han K, Davis R. The GABAA receptor RDL suppresses the conditioned stimulus pathway for olfactory learning. J Neurosci. 2009;29:1573-9 pubmed publisher..The combined data suggest that RDL suppresses olfactory learning via CS pathway involvement. ..
- Wu Y, Brock A, Wang Y, Fujitani K, Ueda R, Galko M. A blood-borne PDGF/VEGF-like ligand initiates wound-induced epidermal cell migration in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1473-7 pubmed publisher..These results uncover a novel mechanism of sensing tissue damage and suggest that PDGF/VEGF ligands and receptors may play a conserved autocrine role in epidermal wound closure. ..
- Tanoue S, Krishnan P, Krishnan B, Dryer S, Hardin P. Circadian clocks in antennal neurons are necessary and sufficient for olfaction rhythms in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2004;14:638-49 pubmed
- Wang Y, Werz C, Xu D, Chen Z, Li Y, Hafen E, et al. Drosophila cbl is essential for control of cell death and cell differentiation during eye development. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e1447 pubmed publisher..Our genetic data also indicate a critical role of ubiquitination for D-cbl function, consistent with biochemical models. These data may provide a mechanistic model for the understanding of the oncogenic activity of mammalian cbl genes. ..
- Schulz R, Miksch J. Dorsal expression of the Drosophila z600 gene during early embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 1989;136:211-21 pubmed
- Kelley R, Solovyeva I, Lyman L, Richman R, Solovyev V, Kuroda M. Expression of msl-2 causes assembly of dosage compensation regulators on the X chromosomes and female lethality in Drosophila. Cell. 1995;81:867-77 pubmed..We suggest that msl-2 RNA is the primary target of SxI regulation in the dosage compensation pathway and present a speculative model for the regulation of two distinct modes of dosage compensation by SxI. ..
- Littleton J, Bellen H. Genetic and phenotypic analysis of thirteen essential genes in cytological interval 22F1-2; 23B1-2 reveals novel genes required for neural development in Drosophila. Genetics. 1994;138:111-23 pubmed..Given that the average number of alleles per complementation group is greater than seven, it is very likely that all essential genes within this cytological interval have been identified. ..
- Lu C, Rincon Limas D, Botas J. Conserved overlapping and reciprocal expression of msh/Msx1 and apterous/Lhx2 in Drosophila and mice. Mech Dev. 2000;99:177-81 pubmed..These observations suggest conservation in the regulation of these genes between Drosophila and mice. ..
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Drosophila Lyra mutations are gain-of-function mutations of senseless. Genetics. 2001;157:307-15 pubmed
- Pepple K, Atkins M, Venken K, Wellnitz K, Harding M, Frankfort B, et al. Two-step selection of a single R8 photoreceptor: a bistable loop between senseless and rough locks in R8 fate. Development. 2008;135:4071-9 pubmed publisher..This model provides new insight into the strategies that allow successful integration of a repressive patterning signal, such as lateral inhibition, with continued developmental plasticity during retinal differentiation. ..
- Liu X, Davis R. The GABAergic anterior paired lateral neuron suppresses and is suppressed by olfactory learning. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:53-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a mutual suppression between the GABAergic APL neuron and olfactory learning, and emphasize the functional neuroplasticity of the GABAergic system as a result of learning. ..
- Rastelli L, Richman R, Kuroda M. The dosage compensation regulators MLE, MSL-1 and MSL-2 are interdependent since early embryogenesis in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1995;53:223-33 pubmed..We conclude that the MSL proteins associate with the X chromosome and are interdependent since early embryogenesis. ..
- Callaerts P, Leng S, Clements J, Benassayag C, Cribbs D, Kang Y, et al. Drosophila Pax-6/eyeless is essential for normal adult brain structure and function. J Neurobiol. 2001;46:73-88 pubmed..Consistent with the morphological lesions, we observe defective walking behavior for these eyeless mutants. The implications of these data for understanding postembryonic brain development and function in Drosophila are discussed. ..
- Brock A, Wang Y, Berger S, Renkawitz Pohl R, Han V, Wu Y, et al. Transcriptional regulation of Profilin during wound closure in Drosophila larvae. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5667-76 pubmed publisher..They also reveal a physiological function for an important developmental regulator of actin and begin to tease out the logic of how the wound repair response is organized. ..
- Christiansen A, Ding T, Fan Y, Graves H, Herz H, Lindblad J, et al. Non-cell autonomous control of apoptosis by ligand-independent Hedgehog signaling in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:302-11 pubmed publisher..This non-cell autonomous control of apoptosis highlights an underappreciated function of deregulated Hh signaling, which may help to generate a supportive micro-environment for tumor development. ..
- Sanhueza M, Chai A, Smith C, McCray B, Simpson T, Taylor J, et al. Network analyses reveal novel aspects of ALS pathogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005107 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results not only lead to a better understanding of hVAPB function but also point to potentially relevant targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Schulz R, Chromey C, Lu M, Zhao B, Olson E. Expression of the D-MEF2 transcription in the Drosophila brain suggests a role in neuronal cell differentiation. Oncogene. 1996;12:1827-31 pubmed
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Senseless, a Zn finger transcription factor, is necessary and sufficient for sensory organ development in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;102:349-62 pubmed..Sens is then in turn required to further activate and maintain proneural gene expression. This feedback mechanism is essential for selective enhancement and maintenance of proneural gene expression in the SOPs. ..
- Davis R. Mushroom bodies, Ca(2+) oscillations, and the memory gene amnesiac. Neuron. 2001;30:653-6 pubmed..Slow and spontaneous oscillations of calcium levels are elevated in the mushroom body neurons of amnesiac mutants and may contribute to memory consolidation. ..
- Chern J, Choi K. Lobe mediates Notch signaling to control domain-specific growth in the Drosophila eye disc. Development. 2002;129:4005-13 pubmed..Our data suggest that the control of ventral Ser expression by L represents a molecular mechanism that governs asymmetrical eye growth. ..
- Bergmann A, Yang A, Srivastava M. Regulators of IAP function: coming to grips with the grim reaper. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2003;15:717-24 pubmed..The apoptosis-inducing genes grim, reaper and hid modulate these mechanisms, and determine the outcome. ..
- Oh H, Bone J, Kuroda M. Multiple classes of MSL binding sites target dosage compensation to the X chromosome of Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2004;14:481-7 pubmed
- Fang X, Zhou J, Liu W, Duan X, Gala U, Sandoval H, et al. Dynamin Regulates Autophagy by Modulating Lysosomal Function. J Genet Genomics. 2016;43:77-86 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide evidence that dynamin also regulates autophagy indirectly by regulating lysosomal function. ..
- Richter L, Bone J, Kuroda M. RNA-dependent association of the Drosophila maleless protein with the male X chromosome. Genes Cells. 1996;1:325-36 pubmed..The potential relationship between interaction with RNA and transcriptional control of the X chromosome suggests that the mechanism of dosage compensation is distinct from classical models for transcriptional activation. ..
- Kelley R, Kuroda M. Noncoding RNA genes in dosage compensation and imprinting. Cell. 2000;103:9-12 pubmed
- Bondos S, Catanese D, Tan X, Bicknell A, Li L, Matthews K. Hox transcription factor ultrabithorax Ib physically and genetically interacts with disconnected interacting protein 1, a double-stranded RNA-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26433-44 pubmed..The strong interaction of Ubx with an RNA-binding protein suggests a wider range of proteins may influence Ubx function than previously appreciated. ..