Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cholesterol in College Station, Texas, United States
Locale: College Station, Texas, United States
- Xenoulis P, Cammarata P, Walzem R, Macfarlane R, Suchodolski J, Steiner J. Novel lipoprotein density profiling in healthy dogs of various breeds, healthy Miniature Schnauzers, and Miniature Schnauzers with hyperlipidemia. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:47 pubmed publisher..Therefore, this method could potentially be used for diagnostic purposes for the separation of dogs suspected of having lipoprotein abnormalities from healthy dogs. ..
- Frolov A, Petrescu A, Atshaves B, So P, Gratton E, Serrero G, et al. High density lipoprotein-mediated cholesterol uptake and targeting to lipid droplets in intact L-cell fibroblasts. A single- and multiphoton fluorescence approach. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:12769-80 pubmed..Targeting of sterol to lipid droplets was correlated with the presence of adipose differentiation related protein, a lipid droplet-specific protein shown for the first time to bind unesterified sterol with high affinity. ..
- Bell S, Mavila A, Salazar R, Bayless K, Kanagala S, Maxwell S, et al. Differential gene expression during capillary morphogenesis in 3D collagen matrices: regulated expression of genes involved in basement membrane matrix assembly, cell cycle progression, cellular differentiation and G-protein signaling. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:2755-73 pubmed..These data further elucidate the genetic events regulating capillary tube formation in a 3D matrix environment. ..
- Stolowich N, Frolov A, Petrescu A, Scott A, Billheimer J, Schroeder F. Holo-sterol carrier protein-2. (13)C NMR investigation of cholesterol and fatty acid binding sites. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35425-33 pubmed..These data contribute to our understanding of a role for SCP-2 in both cellular cholesterol and LCFA metabolism. ..
- Martin G, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Kier A, Schroeder F. Liver fatty-acid-binding protein (L-FABP) gene ablation alters liver bile acid metabolism in male mice. Biochem J. 2005;391:549-60 pubmed
- Martin G, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Mackie J, Kier A, Schroeder F. Liver fatty acid binding protein gene ablation potentiates hepatic cholesterol accumulation in cholesterol-fed female mice. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;290:G36-48 pubmed..Taken together, these data support the hypothesis that L-FABP is involved in the physiological regulation of cholesterol metabolism, body weight gain, and obesity. ..
- Misra R, Patel T, Kotha P, Raji A, Ganda O, Banerji M, et al. Prevalence of diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular risk factors in US Asian Indians: results from a national study. J Diabetes Complications. 2010;24:145-53 pubmed publisher..The prevalence rates of diabetes and MetS among US Asian Indians are higher than reported in earlier, nonrandomized, smaller surveys. These data provide a firm basis for future mechanistic and interventional studies. ..
- McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Storey S, Landrock K, Landrock D, Martin G, et al. Loss of liver FA binding protein significantly alters hepatocyte plasma membrane microdomains. J Lipid Res. 2012;53:467-80 pubmed publisher..Thus L-FABP gene ablation significantly impacted the proportion of cholesterol-rich versus -poor microdomains in the hepatocyte plasma membrane and altered the distribution of lipids and proteins involved in cholesterol uptake therein. ..
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Martin G, Landrock D, Payne H, Bhuvanendran S, et al. Overexpression of sterol carrier protein-2 differentially alters hepatic cholesterol accumulation in cholesterol-fed mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1429-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support an important role for SCP-2 in hepatic cholesterol homeostasis...
- Storey S, Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Landrock K, Martin G, Huang H, et al. Effect of sterol carrier protein-2 gene ablation on HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux from cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G244-54 pubmed publisher..slow cholesterol efflux pools and/or eliciting concomitant upregulation of L-FABP in cultured primary hepatocytes...
- Greene N, Fluckey J, Lambert B, Greene E, Riechman S, Crouse S. Regulators of blood lipids and lipoproteins? PPAR? and AMPK, induced by exercise, are correlated with lipids and lipoproteins in overweight/obese men and women. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2012;303:E1212-21 pubmed publisher..5543, P < 0.05). Our findings demonstrate exercise-induced expression of skeletal muscle PPARs and their target proteins, and this expression is associated with improved blood lipids and lipoproteins in obese adults...
- Huang H, Ball J, Billheimer J, Schroeder F. Interaction of the N-terminus of sterol carrier protein 2 with membranes: role of membrane curvature. Biochem J. 1999;344 Pt 2:593-603 pubmed..These findings were consistent with the SCP(2) N-terminus being a membrane-binding domain that was highly dependent on membrane surface curvature as well as on lipid composition. ..
- Atshaves B, Gallegos A, McIntosh A, Kier A, Schroeder F. Sterol carrier protein-2 selectively alters lipid composition and cholesterol dynamics of caveolae/lipid raft vs nonraft domains in L-cell fibroblast plasma membranes. Biochemistry. 2003;42:14583-98 pubmed
- Martin G, Danneberg H, Kumar L, Atshaves B, Erol E, Bader M, et al. Decreased liver fatty acid binding capacity and altered liver lipid distribution in mice lacking the liver fatty acid-binding protein gene. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:21429-38 pubmed
- Storey S, McIntosh A, Huang H, Landrock K, Martin G, Landrock D, et al. Intracellular cholesterol-binding proteins enhance HDL-mediated cholesterol uptake in cultured primary mouse hepatocytes. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012;302:G824-39 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that L-FABP, particularly in the absence of SCP-2, plays a significant role in HDL-mediated cholesterol uptake in cultured primary hepatocytes. ..
- Gallegos A, Atshaves B, Storey S, Starodub O, Petrescu A, Huang H, et al. Gene structure, intracellular localization, and functional roles of sterol carrier protein-2. Prog Lipid Res. 2001;40:498-563 pubmed
- Huang H, Ball J, Billheimer J, Schroeder F. The sterol carrier protein-2 amino terminus: a membrane interaction domain. Biochemistry. 1999;38:13231-43 pubmed..These data were consistent with the N-terminus of SCP2 providing a membrane interaction domain that preferentially bound to membranes rich in anionic phospholipid and cholesterol. ..
- Gallegos A, McIntosh A, Atshaves B, Schroeder F. Structure and cholesterol domain dynamics of an enriched caveolae/raft isolate. Biochem J. 2004;382:451-61 pubmed..Thus caveolae/raft domains isolated without the use of detergents display unique structure, cholesterol domain kinetics and responsiveness to SCP-2 as compared with the parent plasma membrane. ..
- Schroeder F, Frolov A, Starodub O, Atshaves B, Russell W, Petrescu A, et al. Pro-sterol carrier protein-2: role of the N-terminal presequence in structure, function, and peroxisomal targeting. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:25547-55 pubmed..In summary, the data suggest for the first time that the 20-amino acid presequence of pro-SCP-2 alters SCP-2 structure to facilitate peroxisomal targeting mediated by the C-terminal SKL peroxisomal targeting sequence...