Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on cell differentiation in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Topic: cell differentiation
Publications670 found, 100 shown here
- Horn M, Geisen C, Cermak L, Becker B, Nakamura S, Klein C, et al. DRE-1/FBXO11-dependent degradation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 governs C. elegans developmental timing and maturation. Dev Cell. 2014;28:697-710 pubmed publisher..Taken together, posttranslational regulation of BLMP-1/BLIMP-1 by DRE-1/FBXO11 coordinates C. elegans developmental timing and other life history traits, suggesting that this two-protein module mediates metazoan maturation processes. ..
- Jin C, Lu Y, Jelinek J, Liang S, Estecio M, Barton M, et al. TET1 is a maintenance DNA demethylase that prevents methylation spreading in differentiated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:6956-71 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify TET1 as a maintenance DNA demethylase that does not purposely decrease methylation levels, but specifically prevents aberrant methylation spreading into CGIs in differentiated cells. ..
- Shao L, Zhang Y, Lan B, Wang J, Zhang Z, Zhang L, et al. MiRNA-Sequence Indicates That Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Exosomes Have Similar Mechanism to Enhance Cardiac Repair. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:4150705 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study demonstrates that MSC-Exo could be used alone to promote cardiac repair and are superior to MSCs in repairing injured myocardium. ..
- Wei Y, Dimicoli S, Bueso Ramos C, Chen R, Yang H, Neuberg D, et al. Toll-like receptor alterations in myelodysplastic syndrome. Leukemia. 2013;27:1832-40 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that TLR2-centered signaling is deregulated in MDS, and that its targeting may have potential therapeutic benefit in MDS. ..
- Yan W, Burns K, Ma L, Matzuk M. Identification of Zfp393, a germ cell-specific gene encoding a novel zinc finger protein. Mech Dev. 2002;118:233-9 pubmed..We hypothesize that ZFP393 functions as a germ cell-specific transcription factor that plays important roles in spermatid differentiation and oocyte development. ..
- Sabichi A, Xu H, Fischer S, Zou C, Yang X, Steele V, et al. Retinoid receptor-dependent and independent biological activities of novel fenretinide analogues and metabolites. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:4606-13 pubmed..Thus, 4-MPR may play a role in the clinical activity of 4-HPR. This study further reveals the mechanism of action of these novel phenylretinamides and supports continued investigation into their development as chemopreventive drugs. ..
- Su X, Kameoka S, Lentz S, Majumder S. Activation of REST/NRSF target genes in neural stem cells is sufficient to cause neuronal differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:8018-25 pubmed
- Lombardi R, da Graça Cabreira Hansen M, Bell A, Fromm R, Willerson J, Marian A. Nuclear plakoglobin is essential for differentiation of cardiac progenitor cells to adipocytes in arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2011;109:1342-53 pubmed publisher..Nuclear PG provokes adipogenesis in c-Kit+ CPCs by repressing the canonical Wnt signaling and inducing a proadipogenic gene expression. The findings suggest that adipocytes in ARVC, at least in part, originate from c-Kit+ CPCs. ..
- Il Lee S, Zuo X, Shureiqi I. 15-Lipoxygenase-1 as a tumor suppressor gene in colon cancer: is the verdict in?. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2011;30:481-91 pubmed publisher..Re-expression of 15-LOX-1 in colon cancer cells can function as an important therapeutic mechanism and could be further exploited to develop novel treatment approaches for this common cancer. ..
- Zollo M, Ahmed M, Ferrucci V, Salpietro V, Asadzadeh F, Carotenuto M, et al. PRUNE is crucial for normal brain development and mutated in microcephaly with neurodevelopmental impairment. Brain. 2017;140:940-952 pubmed publisher..Together these studies define PRUNE as a molecule fundamental for normal human cortical development and define cellular and clinical consequences associated with PRUNE mutation. ..
- Wu C, Chan A, Etkin L. Difference in the maternal and zygotic contributions of tumorhead on embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2003;255:290-302 pubmed..They also supported the conclusion that the maternal component of TH may affect the cell cycle in all cells, while the zygotic component has a germ layer-specific effect on the ectoderm. ..
- Wang R, Vadlamudi R, Bagheri Yarmand R, Beuvink I, Hynes N, Kumar R. Essential functions of p21-activated kinase 1 in morphogenesis and differentiation of mammary glands. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:583-92 pubmed..These findings suggest that Pak1 is required for alveolar morphogenesis and lactation function, and thus, identify novel functions of Pak1 in the mammary gland development. ..
- Zhang R, Murakami S, Coustry F, Wang Y, de Crombrugghe B. Constitutive activation of MKK6 in chondrocytes of transgenic mice inhibits proliferation and delays endochondral bone formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:365-70 pubmed..Therefore, our study provides in vivo evidence for the role of p38 in endochondral ossification and suggests that Sox9 is a likely downstream target of the p38 MAPK pathway. ..
- Bland C, Cooper T. Micromanaging alternative splicing during muscle differentiation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:171-2 pubmed..The results illustrate how two modes of posttranscriptional regulation combine to direct skeletal muscle development. ..
- Zwart S, Pierson D, Mehta S, Gonda S, Smith S. Capacity of omega-3 fatty acids or eicosapentaenoic acid to counteract weightlessness-induced bone loss by inhibiting NF-kappaB activation: from cells to bed rest to astronauts. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:1049-57 pubmed publisher..62, p < .05). Together these data provide mechanistic cellular and preliminary human evidence of the potential for EPA to counteract bone loss associated with spaceflight. ..
- Yang T, Mendoza Londono R, Lu H, Tao J, Li K, Keller B, et al. E-selectin ligand-1 regulates growth plate homeostasis in mice by inhibiting the intracellular processing and secretion of mature TGF-beta. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:2474-85 pubmed publisher..This study identifies what we believe to be a novel intracellular mechanism for regulating TGF-beta during skeletal development and homeostasis. ..
- Ghodsizad A, Loebe M, Piechaczek C, Bordel V, Ungerer M, Gregoric I, et al. Surgical therapy of end-stage heart failure: understanding cell-mediated mechanisms interacting with myocardial damage. Int J Artif Organs. 2011;34:529-45 pubmed publisher..The latest approach entails direct, surgical, trans-epicardial injection of the stem cell mixture, as well as the use of tissue-engineered meshes consisting of embedded progenitor cells...
- Giagtzoglou N, Li T, Yamamoto S, Bellen H. Drosophila EHBP1 regulates Scabrous secretion during Notch-mediated lateral inhibition. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3686-96 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, dEHBP1 provides developmental versatility of intercellular signaling by regulating the trafficking of distinct Notch signaling components. ..
- Lee S, Lee D, Choi E, Lee J. Identification of a functional vitamin D response element in the murine Insig-2 promoter and its potential role in the differentiation of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:399-408 pubmed..This novel regulatory circuit may also play important roles in other lipogenic cell types that express VDR, and collectively our results suggest an intriguing, new linkage between 1,25-(OH)2D3 and lipogenesis. ..
- Qin J, Tsai M, Tsai S. Essential roles of COUP-TFII in Leydig cell differentiation and male fertility. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3285 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that COUP-TFII plays a major role in differentiation, but not the maintenance of Leydig cells. ..
- Conrad C, Meller S, Gilliet M. Plasmacytoid dendritic cells in the skin: to sense or not to sense nucleic acids. Semin Immunol. 2009;21:101-9 pubmed publisher..In skin tumors, pDCs are unable to sense self-nucleic acids; however, therapeutic activation of pDCs by synthetic nucleic acids or analogues can be exploited to generate antitumor immunity. ..
- Bonilla Claudio M, Wang J, Bai Y, Klysik E, Selever J, Martin J. Bmp signaling regulates a dose-dependent transcriptional program to control facial skeletal development. Development. 2012;139:709-19 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that Bmp signaling regulates craniofacial skeletal development by balancing self-renewal and differentiation pathways in CNC progenitors. ..
- Gao F, Shi H, Daughty C, Cella N, Zhang M. Maspin plays an essential role in early embryonic development. Development. 2004;131:1479-89 pubmed..We conclude that deletion of maspin affects VE function by reducing cell proliferation and adhesion, thereby controlling early embryonic development. ..
- Greene S, Gunaratne P, Hammond S, Rosen J. A putative role for microRNA-205 in mammary epithelial cell progenitors. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:606-18 pubmed publisher..Additionally, in normal mouse MECs, high expression of miR-205 was observed in stem-cell-enriched cell populations isolated by FACS using established cell-surface markers. ..
- Lin S, Dolle P, Ryckebusch L, Noseda M, Zaffran S, Schneider M, et al. Endogenous retinoic acid regulates cardiac progenitor differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:9234-9 pubmed publisher..Hence, although lack of RA signaling increases cardiac SP numbers, simultaneous reductions in Fgf signaling reduce cardiomyocyte differentiation, possibly accounting for long-term defects in myocardial growth. ..
- Huang H, Liu M, El Hodiri H, Chu K, Jamrich M, Tsai M. Regulation of the pancreatic islet-specific gene BETA2 (neuroD) by neurogenin 3. Mol Cell Biol. 2000;20:3292-307 pubmed..Based on these results, we hypothesize that ngn3 is involved in activating the expression of BETA2 at an early stage of islet cell differentiation through the E boxes in the BETA2 promoter. ..
- Johnson M, Hernandez I, Wei Y, Greenberg N. Isolation and characterization of mouse probasin: An androgen-regulated protein specifically expressed in the differentiated prostate. Prostate. 2000;43:255-62 pubmed..Isolation and characterization of mouse probasin will facilitate further development and analysis of autochthonous mouse models of prostate cancer. ..
- Wu X, Chen L, Brown C, Yan C, Matzuk M. Interrelationship of growth differentiation factor 9 and inhibin in early folliculogenesis and ovarian tumorigenesis in mice. Mol Endocrinol. 2004;18:1509-19 pubmed..Thus, GDF9 appears to function indirectly to regulate early granulosa cell proliferation and theca recruitment in vivo. ..
- Shroyer N, Wallis D, Venken K, Bellen H, Zoghbi H. Gfi1 functions downstream of Math1 to control intestinal secretory cell subtype allocation and differentiation. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2412-7 pubmed..We propose a model of intestinal cell fate choice in which beta-catenin and Cdx function upstream of Math1, and lineage-specific genes such as Ngn3 act downstream of Gfi1. ..
- Niu Z, Li A, Zhang S, Schwartz R. Serum response factor micromanaging cardiogenesis. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2007;19:618-27 pubmed..SRF and cofactors play an obligatory role in cardiogenesis, as major determinants of myocyte differentiation not only by regulating the biogenesis of muscle contractile proteins but also by driving the expression of silencer miRNA. ..
- Liang J, Wan M, Zhang Y, Gu P, Xin H, Jung S, et al. Nanog and Oct4 associate with unique transcriptional repression complexes in embryonic stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:731-9 pubmed publisher..Our data collectively suggest that Nanog and Oct4 associate with unique repressor complexes on their target genes to control ES cell fate. ..
- Griswold S, Behringer R. Fetal Leydig cell origin and development. Sex Dev. 2009;3:1-15 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we underscore the need for conclusive identification of the source population of fetal Leydig cells. ..
- Hanley P, Mei Z, da Graça Cabreira Hansen M, Klis M, Li W, Zhao Y, et al. Manufacturing mesenchymal stromal cells for phase I clinical trials. Cytotherapy. 2013;15:416-22 pubmed publisher..We report our method of generating clinical-grade MSCs together with suggestions gathered from manufacturing experience in our Good Manufacturing Practices facility. ..
- Wang A, Pan D, Lee Y, Martinez G, Feng X, Dong C. Cutting edge: Smad2 and Smad4 regulate TGF-?-mediated Il9 gene expression via EZH2 displacement. J Immunol. 2013;191:4908-12 pubmed publisher..Our data shed light on the molecular mechanisms underlying Th9 cell differentiation, revealing that the TGF-?-Smad2/4-signaling pathway regulates IL-9 production through an epigenetic mechanism. ..
- Garrett Sinha L, Eberspaecher H, Seldin M, de Crombrugghe B. A gene for a novel zinc-finger protein expressed in differentiated epithelial cells and transiently in certain mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:31384-90 pubmed..The chromosomal location of the gene was mapped using mouse interspecific backcrosses and was shown to localize to mouse chromosome 4 and to cosegregate with the thioredoxin gene. ..
- Aldrich M, Chen W, Blackburn M, Martinez Valdez H, Datta S, Kellems R. Impaired germinal center maturation in adenosine deaminase deficiency. J Immunol. 2003;171:5562-70 pubmed..The altered splenic environment and signaling abnormalities may concurrently contribute to a block in B cell Ag-dependent maturation in ADA-deficient mouse spleens. ..
- Werz C, Lee T, Lee P, Lackey M, Bolduc C, Stein D, et al. Mis-specified cells die by an active gene-directed process, and inhibition of this death results in cell fate transformation in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:5343-52 pubmed..These data support a model whereby mis-specification can be tolerated if a survival pathway is provided, resulting in cellular transformation. ..
- Wu H, Ghosh S, Perrard X, Feng L, Garcia G, Perrard J, et al. T-cell accumulation and regulated on activation, normal T cell expressed and secreted upregulation in adipose tissue in obesity. Circulation. 2007;115:1029-38 pubmed..RANTES is an adipokine that is upregulated in AT by obesity in both mice and humans. ..
- Kile B, Panopoulos A, Stirzaker R, Hacking D, Tahtamouni L, Willson T, et al. Mutations in the cofilin partner Aip1/Wdr1 cause autoinflammatory disease and macrothrombocytopenia. Blood. 2007;110:2371-80 pubmed..These studies establish an essential requirement for Wdr1 in megakaryocytes and neutrophils, indicating that cofilin-mediated actin dynamics are critically important to the development and function of both cell types. ..
- Qi H, Li D, Shine H, Chen Z, Yoon K, Jones D, et al. Nerve growth factor and its receptor TrkA serve as potential markers for human corneal epithelial progenitor cells. Exp Eye Res. 2008;86:34-40 pubmed..The spatial expression of NGF and TrkA by small clusters of basal cells interspersed between negative cell patches suggests that they are potential markers for human corneal epithelial progenitor cells...
- Zhang W, Ju J, Rigney T, Tribble G. Fimbriae of Porphyromonas gingivalis are important for initial invasion of osteoblasts, but not for inhibition of their differentiation and mineralization. J Periodontol. 2011;82:909-16 pubmed publisher..This study reveals that major fimbriae are involved in the initial invasion of osteoblasts by P. gingivalis, but are not essential for the subsequent inhibition of osteoblast differentiation and mineralization in long-term culture. ..
- Chen G, Lin S, Chen J, He L, Dong F, Xu J, et al. CXCL16 recruits bone marrow-derived fibroblast precursors in renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;22:1876-86 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, CXCL16 contributes to the pathogenesis of renal fibrosis by recruiting bone marrow-derived fibroblast precursors...
- Zhao P, Xiao X, Ghobrial R, Li X. IL-9 and Th9 cells: progress and challenges. Int Immunol. 2013;25:547-51 pubmed publisher..These signals converge on the induction of multiple transcription factors that collectively drive the development of T(h)9 cells. ..
- Wang F, Cheng J, Liu D, Sun H, Zhao J, Wang J, et al. P53-participated cellular and molecular responses to irradiation are cell differentiation-determined in murine intestinal epithelium. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2014;542:21-7 pubmed publisher..DDRs varied with cell differentiation status and cell function in small intestinal epithelium. P53 signaling pathway could be an important regulatory mechanism of DDRs. ..
- Opal P, Garcia J, Propst F, Matilla A, Orr H, Zoghbi H. Mapmodulin/leucine-rich acidic nuclear protein binds the light chain of microtubule-associated protein 1B and modulates neuritogenesis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:34691-9 pubmed..LANP thus could play a key role in neuronal development and/or neurodegeneration by its interactions with microtubule associated proteins. ..
- Hathaway H, Shur B. Mammary gland morphogenesis is inhibited in transgenic mice that overexpress cell surface beta1,4-galactosyltransferase. Development. 1996;122:2859-72 pubmed
- He W, Li A, Wang D, Han S, Zheng B, Goumans M, et al. Overexpression of Smad7 results in severe pathological alterations in multiple epithelial tissues. EMBO J. 2002;21:2580-90 pubmed..Smad7 mice. Our study provides evidence that Smad7 is a potent in vivo inhibitor for signal transduction of the TGFbeta superfamily during development and maintenance of homeostasis of multiple epithelial tissues. ..
- Beers D, Henkel J, Xiao Q, Zhao W, Wang J, Yen A, et al. Wild-type microglia extend survival in PU.1 knockout mice with familial amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:16021-6 pubmed..This study confirms the importance of microglia as a double-edged sword, and focuses on the importance of targeting microglia to minimize cytotoxicity and maximize neuroprotection in neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Sonnylal S, Denton C, Zheng B, Keene D, He R, Adams H, et al. Postnatal induction of transforming growth factor beta signaling in fibroblasts of mice recapitulates clinical, histologic, and biochemical features of scleroderma. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56:334-44 pubmed..These mice should be excellent models with which to test therapies aimed at correcting excessive TGFbeta signaling in human scleroderma. ..
- Pedroza M, Le T, Lewis K, Karmouty Quintana H, To S, George A, et al. STAT-3 contributes to pulmonary fibrosis through epithelial injury and fibroblast-myofibroblast differentiation. FASEB J. 2016;30:129-40 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that STAT-3 contributes to the development of lung fibrosis and suggest that STAT-3 may be a therapeutic target in pulmonary fibrosis. ..
- Chen Y, Zhang Q, Charles E, Wu Y, Zhang L, Dong J, et al. [VEGF overespression promotes the proliferation and differentiation of human adipose-derived stem cells]. Xi Bao Yu Fen Zi Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;33:352-356 pubmed..Conclusion VEGF overexpression promotes proliferation and multilineage differentiation potential of hADSCs without evident phenotype changes. ..
- Takeda S, Bonnamy J, Owen M, Ducy P, Karsenty G. Continuous expression of Cbfa1 in nonhypertrophic chondrocytes uncovers its ability to induce hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation and partially rescues Cbfa1-deficient mice. Genes Dev. 2001;15:467-81 pubmed..These results identify Cbfa1 as a hypertrophic chondrocyte differentiation factor and provide a genetic argument for a common regulation of osteoblast and chondrocyte differentiation mediated by Cbfa1. ..
- Merched A, Chan L. Absence of p21Waf1/Cip1/Sdi1 modulates macrophage differentiation and inflammatory response and protects against atherosclerosis. Circulation. 2004;110:3830-41 pubmed..Loss of p21 protects against atherosclerosis in apoE-/- mice. The data underscore the important role of p21 in macrophage function and inflammation and provide insight into the mechanism of the proatherogenic effect of p21. ..
- Bryan B, Cai Y, Wrighton K, Wu G, Feng X, Liu M. Ubiquitination of RhoA by Smurf1 promotes neurite outgrowth. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:1015-9 pubmed..Together, our data suggest that localized regulation of different subsets of Rho GTPases by specific guidance signals results in an intracellular asymmetry of RhoA activity, which could regulate neurite outgrowth and guidance. ..
- Zhu R, Bhattacharya C, Matin A. The role of dead-end in germ-cell tumor development. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2007;1120:181-6 pubmed
- Martinez G, Nurieva R, Yang X, Dong C. Regulation and function of proinflammatory TH17 cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2008;1143:188-211 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize the latest discoveries on the cytokine-mediated regulation and transcriptional programming of TH17 cells and their roles in different immune responses and diseases. ..
- Joshi K, Lee S, Lee B, Lee J, Lee S. LMO4 controls the balance between excitatory and inhibitory spinal V2 interneurons. Neuron. 2009;61:839-51 pubmed publisher..Thus, LMO4 plays essential roles in directing a balanced generation of inhibitory and excitatory neurons in the ventral spinal cord. ..
- Peng J, Yang X, Chang S, Yang J, Dong C. IL-23 signaling enhances Th2 polarization and regulates allergic airway inflammation. Cell Res. 2010;20:62-71 pubmed publisher..Conversely, in the absence of this signal, Th2 cell differentiation was partially inhibited. Therefore, IL-23 signaling may regulate allergic asthma through modulation of Th2 cell differentiation. ..
- Wu S, Cheng C, Lanz R, Wang T, Respress J, Ather S, et al. Atrial identity is determined by a COUP-TFII regulatory network. Dev Cell. 2013;25:417-26 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results reveal that COUP-TFII confers atrial identity through direct binding and by modulating expression of a broad spectrum of genes that have an impact on atrial development and function. ..
- Sikavitsas V, Bancroft G, Mikos A. Formation of three-dimensional cell/polymer constructs for bone tissue engineering in a spinner flask and a rotating wall vessel bioreactor. J Biomed Mater Res. 2002;62:136-48 pubmed
- Zhao Q, Eberspaecher H, Lefebvre V, de Crombrugghe B. Parallel expression of Sox9 and Col2a1 in cells undergoing chondrogenesis. Dev Dyn. 1997;209:377-86 pubmed
- Oh H, Bradfute S, Gallardo T, Nakamura T, Gaussin V, Mishina Y, et al. Cardiac progenitor cells from adult myocardium: homing, differentiation, and fusion after infarction. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:12313-8 pubmed..By using a Cre/Lox donor/recipient pair (alphaMHC-Cre/R26R), differentiation was shown to occur roughly equally, with and without fusion to host cells. ..
- Oommen K, Newman A. Co-regulation by Notch and Fos is required for cell fate specification of intermediate precursors during C. elegans uterine development. Development. 2007;134:3999-4009 pubmed..We show that FOS-1 is expressed at pi cell specification and can bind in vitro to egl-13 upstream regulatory sequence (URS) as a heterodimer with C. elegans Jun...
- Jeong J, Lee H, Franco H, Broaddus R, Taketo M, Tsai S, et al. beta-catenin mediates glandular formation and dysregulation of beta-catenin induces hyperplasia formation in the murine uterus. Oncogene. 2009;28:31-40 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have demonstrated that correct regulation of beta-catenin is important for uterine function as well as in the regulation of endometrial epithelial differentiation. ..
- Valdez J, Zhang L, Su Q, Dakhova O, Zhang Y, Shahi P, et al. Notch and TGF? form a reciprocal positive regulatory loop that suppresses murine prostate basal stem/progenitor cell activity. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:676-88 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal crucial roles of the self-enforced positive reciprocal regulatory loop between TGF? and Notch in maintaining prostate basal stem cell dormancy. ..
- Kleerekoper Q, Hecht J, Putkey J. Disease-causing mutations in cartilage oligomeric matrix protein cause an unstructured Ca2+ binding domain. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:10581-9 pubmed..Persistence of an unstructured state of the mutated Ca(2+) binding domain in COMP is the structural basis for retention of COMP in the rough endoplasmic reticulum of differentiated PSACH and EDM1 chondrocytes...
- Cho J, Tsai M. The role of BETA2/NeuroD1 in the development of the nervous system. Mol Neurobiol. 2004;30:35-47 pubmed..The focus of this article is on the recent progress in understanding the role of BETA2/NeuroD1 in the development of the nervous system. ..
- Yu W, Wang Y, Shaw C, Qin X, Rice A. Induction of the HIV-1 Tat co-factor cyclin T1 during monocyte differentiation is required for the regulated expression of a large portion of cellular mRNAs. Retrovirology. 2006;3:32 pubmed..These results suggest that cyclin T1 serves a critical role in the program of macrophage differentiation, and this raises questions about the feasibility of cyclin T1 serving as an antiviral therapeutic target. ..
- Yang G, Rosen D, Mercado Uribe I, Colacino J, Mills G, Bast R, et al. Knockdown of p53 combined with expression of the catalytic subunit of telomerase is sufficient to immortalize primary human ovarian surface epithelial cells. Carcinogenesis. 2007;28:174-82 pubmed
- Ochsner S, Strick Marchand H, Qiu Q, Venable S, Dean A, Wilde M, et al. Transcriptional profiling of bipotential embryonic liver cells to identify liver progenitor cell surface markers. Stem Cells. 2007;25:2476-87 pubmed..We therefore consider Cd24a expression a candidate molecule for purification of hepatic progenitor cells. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article. ..
- Dejosez M, Krumenacker J, Zitur L, Passeri M, Chu L, Songyang Z, et al. Ronin is essential for embryogenesis and the pluripotency of mouse embryonic stem cells. Cell. 2008;133:1162-74 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify Ronin as an essential factor underlying embryogenesis and ES cell pluripotency. Its association with HCF-1 suggests an epigenetic mechanism of gene repression in pluripotent cells. ..
- Martin Orozco N, Chung Y, Chang S, Wang Y, Dong C. Th17 cells promote pancreatic inflammation but only induce diabetes efficiently in lymphopenic hosts after conversion into Th1 cells. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:216-24 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that islet-reactive Th17 cells promote pancreatic inflammation, but only induce IDDM upon conversion into IFN-gamma producers. ..
- Melicoff E, Sansores Garcia L, Gomez A, Moreira D, Datta P, Thakur P, et al. Synaptotagmin-2 controls regulated exocytosis but not other secretory responses of mast cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:19445-51 pubmed publisher..Unlike neurons, the lack of Synaptotagmin-2 in mast cells was not associated with increased spontaneous exocytosis. ..
- Wei Y, Chen Y, Li L, Lang J, Yeh S, Shi B, et al. CDK1-dependent phosphorylation of EZH2 suppresses methylation of H3K27 and promotes osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Nat Cell Biol. 2011;13:87-94 pubmed publisher..These findings define a signalling link between CDK1 and EZH2 that may have an important role in diverse biological processes, including cancer-cell invasion and osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells. ..
- Choi N, Zhang B, Zhang L, Ittmann M, Xin L. Adult murine prostate basal and luminal cells are self-sustained lineages that can both serve as targets for prostate cancer initiation. Cancer Cell. 2012;21:253-65 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that deregulation of epithelial differentiation is a critical step for the initiation of prostate cancers of basal cell origin. ..
- Huang C, Orvis G, Wang Y, Behringer R. Stromal-to-epithelial transition during postpartum endometrial regeneration. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e44285 pubmed publisher..These findings identify potential progenitor cells within the endometrial stromal compartment that produce long-term epithelial tissue during postpartum endometrial regeneration. ..
- Simon R, Baumann L, Fischer J, Seigfried F, de Bruyckere E, Liu P, et al. Structure-function integrity of the adult hippocampus depends on the transcription factor Bcl11b/Ctip2. Genes Brain Behav. 2016;15:405-19 pubmed publisher..Together, our data uncover for the first time a specific role of Bcl11b in adult hippocampal neurogenesis and function. ..
- French M, Smith S, Akanbi K, Sanford T, Hecht J, Farach Carson M, et al. Expression of the heparan sulfate proteoglycan, perlecan, during mouse embryogenesis and perlecan chondrogenic activity in vitro. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:1103-15 pubmed..Collectively, these studies demonstrate that Pln is not only a marker of chondrogenesis, but also strongly potentiates chondrogenic differentiation in vitro. ..
- Ozpolat B, Akar U, Steiner M, Zorrilla Calancha I, Tirado Gomez M, Colburn N, et al. Programmed cell death-4 tumor suppressor protein contributes to retinoic acid-induced terminal granulocytic differentiation of human myeloid leukemia cells. Mol Cancer Res. 2007;5:95-108 pubmed..The PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway constitutively represses PDCD4 expression in AML, and ATRA induces PDCD4 through inhibition of this pathway. ..
- Yang G, Timme T, Naruishi K, Fujita T, Fattah E, Cao G, et al. Mice with cav-1 gene disruption have benign stromal lesions and compromised epithelial differentiation. Exp Mol Pathol. 2008;84:131-40 pubmed publisher..We propose that loss of cav-1 function in stromal cells of various organs directly leads to a disorganized stromal compartment that, in turn, indirectly promotes abnormal growth and differentiation of adjacent epithelium. ..
- Nemashkalo A, Ruzo A, Heemskerk I, Warmflash A. Morphogen and community effects determine cell fates in response to BMP4 signaling in human embryonic stem cells. Development. 2017;144:3042-3053 pubmed publisher..Using live cell imaging to correlate signaling histories with cell fates, we demonstrate that interactions between neighbors result in sustained, homogenous signaling necessary for differentiation. ..
- Zhang P, Wong C, Liu D, Finegold M, Harper J, Elledge S. p21(CIP1) and p57(KIP2) control muscle differentiation at the myogenin step. Genes Dev. 1999;13:213-24 pubmed
- Xia C, Bao Z, Tabassam F, Ma W, Qiu M, Hua S, et al. GCIP, a novel human grap2 and cyclin D interacting protein, regulates E2F-mediated transcriptional activity. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:20942-8 pubmed..High level expression of GCIP in terminally differentiated tissues and the inhibition of E2F1 transcription activation suggest that GCIP could play an important role in controlling cell differentiation and proliferation. ..
- Bishop J, Moon B, Harrow F, Ratner D, Gomer R, Dottin R, et al. A second UDP-glucose pyrophosphorylase is required for differentiation and development in Dictyostelium discoideum. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:32430-7 pubmed..Sequence analysis of the two UDPGP genes shows that UgpB has higher homology to other eukaryotic UDPGPs than does UDPGP1. This includes the presence of 5 conserved lysine residues. Udpgp1 only has 1 of these lysines. ..