Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on bacterial proteins in College Station, Texas, United States
Locale: College Station, Texas, United States
Topic: bacterial proteins
Publications190 found, 100 shown here
- Xiang D, Patskovsky Y, Xu C, Meyer A, Sauder J, Burley S, et al. Functional identification of incorrectly annotated prolidases from the amidohydrolase superfamily of enzymes. Biochemistry. 2009;48:3730-42 pubmed publisher..This information was used to identify 18 other bacterial sequences that possess identical or similar substrate profiles. ..
- Zhang Y, Gardina P, Kuebler A, Kang H, Christopher J, Manson M. Model of maltose-binding protein/chemoreceptor complex supports intrasubunit signaling mechanism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:939-44 pubmed
- Gokulan K, Rupp B, Pavelka M, Jacobs W, Sacchettini J. Crystal structure of Mycobacterium tuberculosis diaminopimelate decarboxylase, an essential enzyme in bacterial lysine biosynthesis. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:18588-96 pubmed
- Mella Herrera R, Neunuebel M, Golden J. Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 conR contains a LytR-CpsA-Psr domain, is developmentally regulated, and is essential for diazotrophic growth and heterocyst morphogenesis. Microbiology. 2011;157:617-26 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the diazotrophic growth defect is caused by an inability of the heterocysts to transport fixed nitrogen to the neighbouring vegetative cells. ..
- Garza A, Harris Haller L, Stoebner R, Manson M. Motility protein interactions in the bacterial flagellar motor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:1970-4 pubmed..This finding suggests that the postulated Mot-protein complex may be in close proximity to FliG at the stator-rotor interface of the flagellar motor. ..
- Sridharan S, Razvi A, Scholtz J, Sacchettini J. The HPr proteins from the thermophile Bacillus stearothermophilus can form domain-swapped dimers. J Mol Biol. 2005;346:919-31 pubmed..Finally, we present a detailed analysis of the solution properties of the HPr proteins using a variety of biochemical and biophysical methods. ..
- Ueda A, Attila C, Whiteley M, Wood T. Uracil influences quorum sensing and biofilm formation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa and fluorouracil is an antagonist. Microb Biotechnol. 2009;2:62-74 pubmed publisher..Hence, we have identified a central regulator of an important pathogen and a potential novel class of efficacious drugs for controlling cellular behaviour (e.g. biofilm formation and virulence). ..
- Bayless K, Davis G. The Cdc42 and Rac1 GTPases are required for capillary lumen formation in three-dimensional extracellular matrices. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1123-36 pubmed..These results collectively reveal a novel role for Cdc42 and Rac1 in the process of EC vacuole and lumen formation in three-dimensional extracellular matrices. ..
- Harvey R, Norman K, Andrews K, Hume M, Scanlan C, Callaway T, et al. Clostridium difficile in poultry and poultry meat. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2011;8:1321-3 pubmed publisher..Susceptibilities to 11 antimicrobial agents in the current study suggested somewhat reduced resistance than reported for other meat or animal toxinotype V isolates. ..
- Subbian S, Mehta P, Cirillo S, Bermudez L, Cirillo J. A Mycobacterium marinum mel2 mutant is defective for growth in macrophages that produce reactive oxygen and reactive nitrogen species. Infect Immun. 2007;75:127-34 pubmed..These observations demonstrate that the M. marinum mel2 locus plays a role in resistance to ROS and RNS produced by activated macrophages. ..
- Pettigrew D, Yu G, Liu Y. Nucleotide regulation of Escherichia coli glycerol kinase: initial-velocity and substrate binding studies. Biochemistry. 1990;29:8620-7 pubmed..Several properties of the enzyme are consistent with negative cooperativity as the basis for the difference in affinities. The possible physiological importance of the regulatory behavior with respect to ATP is considered. ..
- Wei T, Ramasubramanian T, Golden J. Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 ntcA gene required for growth on nitrate and heterocyst development. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:4473-82 pubmed..7-kb transcript. In the wild type, the 1.7-kb transcript represents the majority of glnA transcripts after nitrogen stepdown. The ntcA mutant showed a normal pattern of rbcLS messages under these growth conditions. ..
- Holtman C, Thurlkill R, Pettigrew D. Unexpected presence of defective glpR alleles in various strains of Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2001;183:1459-61 pubmed..Analysis of the effects on growth and enzyme expression show that glucose repression of glycerol utilization is not dependent on a functional repressor. ..
- Francis M, Allen C, Shrestha R, Sorg J. Bile acid recognition by the Clostridium difficile germinant receptor, CspC, is important for establishing infection. PLoS Pathog. 2013;9:e1003356 pubmed publisher..difficile spore germinant receptor. Blocking the interaction of bile acids with the C. difficile spore may represent an attractive target for novel therapeutics. ..
- Seshadri R, Samuel J. Characterization of a stress-induced alternate sigma factor, RpoS, of Coxiella burnetii and its expression during the development cycle. Infect Immun. 2001;69:4874-83 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LCV and SCV are not comparable to logarithmic and stationary phases of growth and may represent a novel adaptation for survival in both the phagolysosome and the extracellular environment...
- Heuck A, Tweten R, Johnson A. Assembly and topography of the prepore complex in cholesterol-dependent cytolysins. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:31218-25 pubmed
- Ma Q, Wood T. OmpA influences Escherichia coli biofilm formation by repressing cellulose production through the CpxRA two-component system. Environ Microbiol. 2009;11:2735-46 pubmed publisher..Therefore, OmpA inhibits cellulose production through the CpxRA stress response system, and this reduction in cellulose increases biofilm formation on hydrophobic surfaces. ..
- Wang D, Yu J, Pierson L, Pierson E. Differential regulation of phenazine biosynthesis by RpeA and RpeB in Pseudomonas chlororaphis 30-84. Microbiology. 2012;158:1745-57 pubmed publisher..chlororaphis 30-84, a regulatory hierarchy that may be conserved in other pseudomonads and may play a role in stress response. ..
- Mella Herrera R, Neunuebel M, Kumar K, Saha S, Golden J. The sigE gene is required for normal expression of heterocyst-specific genes in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:1823-32 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of sigE caused accelerated heterocyst development, an increased heterocyst frequency, and premature expression of GFP fluorescence from the P(nifHD)-gfp reporter. ..
- Halbert N, Reitzel R, Martens R, Cohen N. Evaluation of a multiplex polymerase chain reaction assay for simultaneous detection of Rhodococcus equi and the vapA gene. Am J Vet Res. 2005;66:1380-5 pubmed
- Hegde M, Englert D, Schrock S, Cohn W, Vogt C, Wood T, et al. Chemotaxis to the quorum-sensing signal AI-2 requires the Tsr chemoreceptor and the periplasmic LsrB AI-2-binding protein. J Bacteriol. 2011;193:768-73 pubmed publisher..We show that AI-2 strongly attracts Escherichia coli. Both LsrB and Tsr are necessary for sensing AI-2, but AI-2 uptake is not, suggesting that LsrB and Tsr interact directly in the periplasm. ..
- Attila C, Ueda A, Cirillo S, Cirillo J, Chen W, Wood T. Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 virulence factors and poplar tree response in the rhizosphere. Microb Biotechnol. 2008;1:17-29 pubmed publisher..Hence, this strategy is capable of elucidating virulence genes for an important pathogen. ..
- Ramaswamy K, Endley S, Golden J. Nitrate reductase activity and heterocyst suppression on nitrate in Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 require moeA. J Bacteriol. 1996;178:3893-8 pubmed..Northern (RNA) analysis detected a 1.5-kb moeA transcript in wild-type cells grown in the presence or absence of a combined nitrogen source. ..
- Figueiredo J, Lawhon S, Gokulan K, Khare S, Raffatellu M, Tsolis R, et al. Salmonella enterica Typhimurium SipA induces CXC-chemokine expression through p38MAPK and JUN pathways. Microbes Infect. 2009;11:302-10 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that S. typhimurium SipA induces expression of CXC chemokines through phosphorylation of IL-8-transcription regulatory proteins, JUN and p38MAK. ..
- Cummings J, Nguyen T, Fedorov A, Kolb P, Xu C, Fedorov E, et al. Structure, mechanism, and substrate profile for Sco3058: the closest bacterial homologue to human renal dipeptidase . Biochemistry. 2010;49:611-22 pubmed publisher..Computational docking of high-energy intermediate forms of l/d-Ala-l/d-Ala to the three-dimensional structure of Sco3058 identified the structural determinants for the stereochemical preferences for substrate binding and turnover. ..
- Kajiwara Y, Santander P, Roessner C, P rez L, Scott A. Genetically engineered synthesis and structural characterization of cobalt-precorrin 5A and -5B, two new intermediates on the anaerobic pathway to vitamin B12: definition of the roles of the CbiF and CbiG enzymes. J Am Chem Soc. 2006;128:9971-8 pubmed publisher
- Wu S, Lu D, Kabbage M, Wei H, Swingle B, Records A, et al. Bacterial effector HopF2 suppresses arabidopsis innate immunity at the plasma membrane. Mol Plant Microbe Interact. 2011;24:585-93 pubmed publisher..syringae pv. Phaseolicola and plant immunity to the necrotrophic fungal pathogen Botrytis cinerea...
- Chen Y, Holtman C, MAGNUSON R, YOUDERIAN P, Golden S. The complete sequence and functional analysis of pANL, the large plasmid of the unicellular freshwater cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus PCC 7942. Plasmid. 2008;59:176-92 pubmed publisher..The compact and efficient organization of sulfur-related genes on pANL may provide selective advantages in environments with limited sulfur. ..
- Bujalowski W, Lohman T. Monomers of the Escherichia coli SSB-1 mutant protein bind single-stranded DNA. J Mol Biol. 1991;217:63-74 pubmed..On the basis of these studies, we discuss a modified explanation for the temperature-sensitivity of the ssb-1 phenotype. ..
- Huffine M, Scholtz J. Energetic implications for protein phosphorylation. Conformational stability of HPr variants that mimic phosphorylated forms. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:28898-902 pubmed..Combined with structural information, the method employed here will be of general use in unraveling the biological effects of phosphorylation on protein activity. ..
- Bernhardt T, Struck D, Young R. The lysis protein E of phi X174 is a specific inhibitor of the MraY-catalyzed step in peptidoglycan synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:6093-7 pubmed..We therefore conclude that E is indeed a cell wall synthesis inhibitor and that this inhibition results from a specific block at the MraY-catalyzed step in the pathway. ..
- Mori S, Simkhada D, Zhang H, Erb M, Zhang Y, Williams H, et al. Polyketide Ring Expansion Mediated by a Thioesterase, Chain Elongation and Cyclization Domain, in Azinomycin Biosynthesis: Characterization of AziB and AziG. Biochemistry. 2016;55:704-14 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate that the thioesterase (AziG) acts as a chain elongation and cyclization (CEC) domain and is required for the additional two rounds of chain extension to form the expected product. ..
- Ramaswamy K, Carrasco C, Fatma T, Golden J. Cell-type specificity of the Anabaena fdxN-element rearrangement requires xisH and xisI. Mol Microbiol. 1997;23:1241-9 pubmed..The xisHI-induced excision of the fdxN element produced strains lacking the element and demonstrates that the 55 kb element contains no essential genes. xisH and xisI do not show similarity to any known genes. ..
- Arenas Gamboa A, Rice Ficht A, Kahl McDonagh M, Ficht T. Protective efficacy and safety of Brucella melitensis 16M?mucR against intraperitoneal and aerosol challenge in BALB/c mice. Infect Immun. 2011;79:3653-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the 16M?mucR vaccine is safe, elicits a strong protective immunity, and should be considered as a promising vaccine candidate for human use...
- Hobbs M, Malashkevich V, Williams H, Xu C, Sauder J, Burley S, et al. Structure and catalytic mechanism of LigI: insight into the amidohydrolase enzymes of cog3618 and lignin degradation. Biochemistry. 2012;51:3497-507 pubmed publisher..The hydrolytic water molecule is activated by the transfer of a proton to Asp-248. The carbonyl group of the lactone substrate is activated by electrostatic interactions with His-180, His-31, and His-33. ..
- Bigley A, Xiang D, Ren Z, Xue H, Hull K, Romo D, et al. Chemical Mechanism of the Phosphotriesterase from Sphingobium sp. Strain TCM1, an Enzyme Capable of Hydrolyzing Organophosphate Flame Retardants. J Am Chem Soc. 2016;138:2921-4 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the enzyme catalyzes the hydrolysis of substrates by activation of a nucleophilic water molecule for direct attack at the phosphorus center. ..
- Maneewannakul S, Kathir P, Ippen Ihler K. Characterization of the F plasmid mating aggregation gene traN and of a new F transfer region locus trbE. J Mol Biol. 1992;225:299-311 pubmed..The mating efficiency and pilus-specific phage susceptibility of a trbE::kan insertion mutant suggested that trbE is not essential for F transfer from Escherichia coli K-12 under standard mating conditions...
- Weerasuriya S, Schneider B, Manson M. Chimeric chemoreceptors in Escherichia coli: signaling properties of Tar-Tap and Tap-Tar hybrids. J Bacteriol. 1998;180:914-20 pubmed..We conclude that no simple correlation exists between the abundance of a receptor, its methylation level, and its CW-signaling ability. ..
- Seshu J, Boylan J, Hyde J, Swingle K, Gherardini F, Skare J. A conservative amino acid change alters the function of BosR, the redox regulator of Borrelia burgdorferi. Mol Microbiol. 2004;54:1352-63 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that the single amino acid substitution, R39K, dramatically alters the activity of BosR by altering its ability to bind DNA at target regulatory sequences. ..
- Ward S, Bormans A, Manson M. Mutationally altered signal output in the Nart (NarX-Tar) hybrid chemoreceptor. J Bacteriol. 2006;188:3944-51 pubmed..They also highlight the plasticity of the coupling between ligand binding and signal output in these systems. ..
- Sundin G, Jacobs J, Murillo J. Sequence diversity of rulA among natural isolates of Pseudomonas syringae and effect on function of rulAB-mediated UV radiation tolerance. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:5167-73 pubmed..Our results suggest that specific amino acid changes in RulA could alter UV radiation tolerance and the competitiveness of the P. syringae host in the phyllosphere. ..
- Miles G, Jayasinghe L, Bayley H. Assembly of the Bi-component leukocidin pore examined by truncation mutagenesis. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:2205-14 pubmed..The results from this work and related experiments on alphaHL suggest that, although the N termini of betaPFTs may undergo reorganization during assembly, they are dispensable for the formation of functional pores. ..
- Hwang S, Hilty C. Folding determinants of disulfide bond forming protein B explored by solution nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Proteins. 2011;79:1365-75 pubmed publisher..These observations may indicate that in the native protein, tertiary interactions additionally stabilize the secondary structure of the individual transmembrane helices. ..
- Tsai P, Fox N, Bigley A, Harvey S, Barondeau D, Raushel F. Enzymes for the homeland defense: optimizing phosphotriesterase for the hydrolysis of organophosphate nerve agents. Biochemistry. 2012;51:6463-75 pubmed..These results support a combinatorial strategy of rational design and directed evolution as a powerful tool for the discovery of more efficient enzymes for the detoxification of organophosphate nerve agents. ..
- Warren M, Roessner C, Santander P, Scott A. The Escherichia coli cysG gene encodes S-adenosylmethionine-dependent uroporphyrinogen III methylase. Biochem J. 1990;265:725-9 pubmed..m.r. spectrum of the methyl ester produced by incubation of the methylase with uroporphyrinogen III, derived from [4.6-13C2]porphobilinogen, and S-adenosyl[Me-13C]methionine. ..
- Abouhamad W, Manson M. The dipeptide permease of Escherichia coli closely resembles other bacterial transport systems and shows growth-phase-dependent expression. Mol Microbiol. 1994;14:1077-92 pubmed
- Hoefler B, Stubbendieck R, Josyula N, Moisan S, Schulze E, Straight P. A Link between Linearmycin Biosynthesis and Extracellular Vesicle Genesis Connects Specialized Metabolism and Bacterial Membrane Physiology. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:1238-1249.e7 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal integration of linearmycin biosynthesis with production of extracellular vesicles, suggesting a deep connection between specialized metabolism and bacterial membrane physiology. ..
- Hu Y, Benedik M, Wood T. Antitoxin DinJ influences the general stress response through transcript stabilizer CspE. Environ Microbiol. 2012;14:669-79 pubmed publisher..Inactivation of CspE abolishes the ability of DinJ to influence RpoS. Hence, DinJ influences the general stress response indirectly by regulating cspE. ..
- Liu Z, Ioerger T, Wang F, Sacchettini J. Structures of Mycobacterium tuberculosis FadD10 protein reveal a new type of adenylate-forming enzyme. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:18473-83 pubmed publisher..We have also characterized the fatty acid preference of FadD10 through biological and structural analyses, and the data indicate long chain saturated fatty acids as the biological substrates of the enzyme. ..
- Lindahl P. The Ni-containing carbon monoxide dehydrogenase family: light at the end of the tunnel?. Biochemistry. 2002;41:2097-105 pubmed
- Bischoff K, White D, McDermott P, Zhao S, Gaines S, Maurer J, et al. Characterization of chloramphenicol resistance in beta-hemolytic Escherichia coli associated with diarrhea in neonatal swine. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:389-94 pubmed..The identification of the cmlA gene among diverse hemolytic enterotoxigenic E. coli strains demonstrates its broad dissemination in the swine production environment and its persistence even in the absence of CHL selection pressure. ..
- Coros A, Callahan B, Battaglioli E, Derbyshire K. The specialized secretory apparatus ESX-1 is essential for DNA transfer in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Mol Microbiol. 2008;69:794-808 pubmed publisher..smegmatis DNA transfer and M. tuberculosis virulence. ..
- Maneewannakul S, Maneewannakul K, Ippen Ihler K. Characterization, localization, and sequence of F transfer region products: the pilus assembly gene product TraW and a new product, TrbI. J Bacteriol. 1992;174:5567-74 pubmed..Expression of an excess of TrbI in hosts carrying a wild-type pOX38 plasmid also caused F-pilus-specific phage resistance. The possibility that TrbI influences the kinetics of pilus outgrowth and/or retraction is discussed. ..
- Wood T, Bridwell Rabb J, Kim Y, Gao T, Chang Y, LiWang A, et al. The KaiA protein of the cyanobacterial circadian oscillator is modulated by a redox-active cofactor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:5804-9 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that KaiA directly senses environmental signals as changes in redox state and modulates the circadian clock. ..
- Kamat S, Williams H, Dangott L, Chakrabarti M, Raushel F. The catalytic mechanism for aerobic formation of methane by bacteria. Nature. 2013;497:132-6 pubmed publisher..A comprehensive reaction mechanism is proposed for cleavage of the C-P bond by the C-P lyase complex that uses a covalent thiophosphate intermediate for methane and phosphate formation. ..
- Park Y, Fujioka M, Jaynes J, Datta S. Drosophila homeobox gene eve enhances trol, an activator of neuroblast proliferation in the larval CNS. Dev Genet. 1998;23:247-57 pubmed..Finally, activation of neuroblast proliferation is normal in eve4 heterozygotes, suggesting that the proliferation defect observed in trolb22;eve/+ animals is due to a synergistic interaction. ..
- Busenlehner L, Weng T, Penner Hahn J, Giedroc D. Elucidation of primary (alpha(3)N) and vestigial (alpha(5)) heavy metal-binding sites in Staphylococcus aureus pI258 CadC: evolutionary implications for metal ion selectivity of ArsR/SmtB metal sensor proteins. J Mol Biol. 2002;319:685-701 pubmed..The evolutionary implications for metal ion selectivity of ArsR/SmtB metal sensor proteins are discussed. ..
- Zhang S, Adams L, Nunes J, Khare S, Tsolis R, BAUMLER A. Secreted effector proteins of Salmonella enterica serotype typhimurium elicit host-specific chemokine profiles in animal models of typhoid fever and enterocolitis. Infect Immun. 2003;71:4795-803 pubmed..Thus, different disease outcomes between mice (i.e., no diarrhea) and calves (i.e., diarrhea) may be due to differences in sipA sopABDE2-dependent CXC chemokine gene expression in epithelial cells. ..
- Siegele D. Universal stress proteins in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 2005;187:6253-4 pubmed
- Plamann L, Davis J, Cantwell B, Mayor J. Evidence that asgB encodes a DNA-binding protein essential for growth and development of Myxococcus xanthus. J Bacteriol. 1994;176:2013-20 pubmed..Attempts to replace the wild-type copy of asgB with a null allele failed, indicating that asgB may be essential for growth. ..
- Mackey S, Choi J, Kitayama Y, Iwasaki H, Dong G, Golden S. Proteins found in a CikA interaction assay link the circadian clock, metabolism, and cell division in Synechococcus elongatus. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:3738-46 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results suggest a model for circadian input that incorporates proteins that link the circadian clock, metabolism, and cell division. ..
- Yang Q, Sze S. Predicting protein folding pathways at the mesoscopic level based on native interactions between secondary structure elements. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:320 pubmed publisher..Most current techniques to predict protein folding pathways are computationally intensive and are suitable only for small proteins...
- Mosser R, Reddy M, Bruning J, Sacchettini J, Reinhart G. Structure of the apo form of Bacillus stearothermophilus phosphofructokinase. Biochemistry. 2012;51:769-75 pubmed publisher..This comparison shows that the apo form of BsPFK resembles the substrate-bound form of BsPFK, a finding that differs from previous predictions. ..
- Wu X, Liu D, Lee M, Golden J. patS minigenes inhibit heterocyst development of Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120. J Bacteriol. 2004;186:6422-9 pubmed..Overexpression of all3290 and orf77 under the control of the petE promoter inhibited heterocyst formation, indicating that the RGSGR motif can inhibit heterocyst development in a variety of contexts. ..
- Liu T, Ramesh A, Ma Z, Ward S, Zhang L, George G, et al. CsoR is a novel Mycobacterium tuberculosis copper-sensing transcriptional regulator. Nat Chem Biol. 2007;3:60-8 pubmed..Substitution of Cys36 or His61 with alanine abolishes Cu(I)- and CsoR-dependent regulation in vivo and in vitro. Potential roles of CsoR in Mtb pathogenesis are discussed. ..
- Draheim R, Bormans A, Lai R, Manson M. Tuning a bacterial chemoreceptor with protein-membrane interactions. Biochemistry. 2006;45:14655-64 pubmed..Aromatic residues analogous to Trp-209/Tyr-210 are present in other chemoreceptors and many transmembrane sensor kinases, where they may serve a similar function. ..
- Jesudhasan P, Cepeda M, Widmer K, Dowd S, Soni K, Hume M, et al. Transcriptome analysis of genes controlled by luxS/autoinducer-2 in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010;7:399-410 pubmed publisher..Phenotypic analysis of DeltaluxS mutant confirmed the microarray results and revealed that luxS did not influence growth but played a role in the biofilm formation and motility...
- Martinot A, Farrow M, Bai L, Layre E, Cheng T, Tsai J, et al. Mycobacterial Metabolic Syndrome: LprG and Rv1410 Regulate Triacylglyceride Levels, Growth Rate and Virulence in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog. 2016;12:e1005351 pubmed publisher..The in vivo essentiality of this locus suggests that this export system and other regulators of metabolism should be considered as targets for novel therapeutics. ..
- Rozwarski D, Grant G, Barton D, Jacobs W, Sacchettini J. Modification of the NADH of the isoniazid target (InhA) from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Science. 1998;279:98-102 pubmed
- VanZile M, Cosper N, Scott R, Giedroc D. The zinc metalloregulatory protein Synechococcus PCC7942 SmtB binds a single zinc ion per monomer with high affinity in a tetrahedral coordination geometry. Biochemistry. 2000;39:11818-29 pubmed..The hierarchy of metal binding affinities is Zn(II) > Co(II) > Ni(II). ..
- Reddy V, Swanson S, Segelke B, Kantardjieff K, Sacchettini J, Rupp B. Effective electron-density map improvement and structure validation on a Linux multi-CPU web cluster: The TB Structural Genomics Consortium Bias Removal Web Service. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2003;59:2200-10 pubmed..Examples of map improvement at various resolutions are provided and include model completion and reconstruction of absent parts, sequence correction, and ligand validation in drug-target structures. ..
- Vikram A, Jesudhasan P, Jayaprakasha G, Pillai S, Patil B. Citrus limonoids interfere with Vibrio harveyi cell-cell signalling and biofilm formation by modulating the response regulator LuxO. Microbiology. 2011;157:99-110 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that isolimonic acid and ichangin are potent modulators of bacterial cell-cell signalling. ..
- Liu S, Lockless S. Equilibrium selectivity alone does not create K+-selective ion conduction in K+ channels. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2746 pubmed publisher..Thus, the detailed architecture of the K(+) channel selectivity filter, and not only its equilibrium ion preference, is fundamental to the generation of selectivity during ion conduction. ..
- Kossmann M, Wolff C, Manson M. Maltose chemoreceptor of Escherichia coli: interaction of maltose-binding protein and the tar signal transducer. J Bacteriol. 1988;170:4516-21 pubmed..In turn, arginines at residues 69 and 73 of Tar must be involved in the recognition of maltose-bound MBP and/or in the production of the attractant signal generated by Tar in response to maltose-bound MBP...
- Roessner C, Spencer J, Ozaki S, Min C, Atshaves B, Nayar P, et al. Overexpression in Escherichia coli of 12 vitamin B12 biosynthetic enzymes. Protein Expr Purif. 1995;6:155-63 pubmed..The activity of each enzyme has been demonstrated by the biosynthesis of hydrogenobyrinic acid from aminolevulinic acid. ..
- Razvi A, Scholtz J. A thermodynamic comparison of HPr proteins from extremophilic organisms. Biochemistry. 2006;45:4084-92 pubmed
- Neunuebel M, Golden J. The Anabaena sp. strain PCC 7120 gene all2874 encodes a diguanylate cyclase and is required for normal heterocyst development under high-light growth conditions. J Bacteriol. 2008;190:6829-36 pubmed publisher..We also showed that purified All2874 functions as a diguanylate cyclase in vitro. We hypothesize that All2874 is required for the normal regulation of heterocyst frequency under high-light growth conditions. ..
- Fenwick M, Almabruk K, Ealick S, Begley T, Philmus B. Biochemical Characterization and Structural Basis of Reactivity and Regioselectivity Differences between Burkholderia thailandensis and Burkholderia glumae 1,6-Didesmethyltoxoflavin N-Methyltransferase. Biochemistry. 2017;56:3934-3944 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, in BthII1283, N1 is hydrogen bonded to a histidine residue whereas BgToxA does not supply an obvious basic residue for either N6 or N1 methylation...
- Mehta P, Pandey A, Subbian S, El Etr S, Cirillo S, Samrakandi M, et al. Identification of Mycobacterium marinum macrophage infection mutants. Microb Pathog. 2006;40:139-51 pubmed..The genes we identified provide insight into the molecular mechanisms of macrophage infection by M. marinum. ..
- Fritzler J, Zhu G. Functional characterization of the acyl-[acyl carrier protein] ligase in the Cryptosporidium parvum giant polyketide synthase. Int J Parasitol. 2007;37:307-16 pubmed..These observations ultimately validate the function of the CpPKS1-AL-ACP unit, and make it possible to further dissect the function of this megasynthase using recombinant proteins in a stepwise procedure. ..
- Chen Y, Kim Y, Mackey S, Holtman C, LiWang A, Golden S. A novel allele of kaiA shortens the circadian period and strengthens interaction of oscillator components in the cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus PCC 7942. J Bacteriol. 2009;191:4392-400 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the KaiA-KaiC interaction and the circadian pattern of KaiC autophosphorylation are both important for determining the period, but not the relative phasing, of circadian rhythms in S. elongatus. ..
- Maeda T, García Contreras R, Pu M, Sheng L, GARCIA L, Tomas M, et al. Quorum quenching quandary: resistance to antivirulence compounds. ISME J. 2012;6:493-501 pubmed publisher..Therefore, bacteria may evolve resistance to many new pharmaceuticals thought impervious to resistance. ..
- Goble A, Feng Y, Raushel F, Cronan J. Discovery of a cAMP deaminase that quenches cyclic AMP-dependent regulation. ACS Chem Biol. 2013;8:2622-9 pubmed publisher..CadD adds a new activity to the cAMP metabolic network and may be a useful tool in intracellular study of cAMP-dependent processes. ..
- Wood T, Hong S, Ma Q. Engineering biofilm formation and dispersal. Trends Biotechnol. 2011;29:87-94 pubmed publisher..Biofilms could also be formed at specific locations where they might be engineered to make chemicals or treat human disease. ..
- Thakur P, Vaughn Diaz V, Greenwald J, Gross D. Characterization of five ECF sigma factors in the genome of Pseudomonas syringae pv. syringae B728a. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58846 pubmed publisher..Growth and pathogenicity assays, using a susceptible bean host, revealed that none of the tested sigma factor genes are required for in planta growth and lesion formation. ..
- Yoon H, Golden J. Heterocyst pattern formation controlled by a diffusible peptide. Science. 1998;282:935-8 pubmed..The addition of a synthetic peptide corresponding to the last five amino acids of PatS inhibited heterocyst development. PatS appears to control heterocyst pattern formation through intercellular signaling mechanisms. ..
- Lee B, Yen J, Yang L, Liao J. Incorporating qualitative knowledge in enzyme kinetic models using fuzzy logic. Biotechnol Bioeng. 1999;62:722-9 pubmed..The resulting models, even though they do not provide additional physical meaning in enzyme mechanisms, allow the model to incorporate semiquantitative information in metabolic pathway models. ..
- Khudyakov I, Golden J. Different functions of HetR, a master regulator of heterocyst differentiation in Anabaena sp. PCC 7120, can be separated by mutation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:16040-5 pubmed..These data provide genetic evidence that, apart from being an essential activator of differentiation, HetR plays a central role in the signaling pathway that controls the heterocyst pattern. ..