Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on apoptosis in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Publications904 found, 100 shown here
- Harikumar K, Kunnumakkara A, Ochi N, Tong Z, Deorukhkar A, Sung B, et al. A novel small-molecule inhibitor of protein kinase D blocks pancreatic cancer growth in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:1136-46 pubmed publisher..Our results show for the first time that a PKD-specific small-molecule inhibitor CRT0066101 blocks pancreatic cancer growth in vivo and show that PKD is a novel therapeutic target in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Sun S, Yue P, Lotan R. Induction of apoptosis by N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide and its association with reactive oxygen species, nuclear retinoic acid receptors, and apoptosis-related genes in human prostate carcinoma cells. Mol Pharmacol. 1999;55:403-10 pubmed..Furthermore, 4HPR modulated the expression levels of some apoptosis-related gene (p21, c-myc, and c-jun), which may also contribute to the induction of apoptosis by 4HPR in HPC cells. ..
- Ni X, Hazarika P, Zhang C, Talpur R, Duvic M. Fas ligand expression by neoplastic T lymphocytes mediates elimination of CD8+ cytotoxic T lymphocytes in mycosis fungoides: a potential mechanism of tumor immune escape?. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:2682-92 pubmed..01 +/- 0.86%) compared with non-FasL expressing areas (13.53 +/- 3.54%; P < 0.02). These results suggest that a potential mechanism of tumor immune escape in MF is FasL-mediated apoptosis of infiltrating CD8+ CTLs. ..
- Sasaki J, Ramesh R, Chada S, Gomyo Y, Roth J, Mukhopadhyay T. The anthelmintic drug mebendazole induces mitotic arrest and apoptosis by depolymerizing tubulin in non-small cell lung cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. 2002;1:1201-9 pubmed..Abnormal spindle formation may be the key factor determining whether a cell undergoes apoptosis, whereas strong microtubule inhibitors elicit toxicity even in normal cells...
- Bharti A, Takada Y, Shishodia S, Aggarwal B. Evidence that receptor activator of nuclear factor (NF)-kappaB ligand can suppress cell proliferation and induce apoptosis through activation of a NF-kappaB-independent and TRAF6-dependent mechanism. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:6065-76 pubmed..Thus, overall, our studies indicate that RANKL can inhibit cell proliferation and induce apoptosis through a TRAF-6-dependent but NF-kappaB-independent mechanism. ..
- Hughes D, Thomas D, Giordano T, McDonagh K, Baker L. Essential erbB family phosphorylation in osteosarcoma as a target for CI-1033 inhibition. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2006;46:614-23 pubmed..This suggests that erbB overexpression is not required for erbB to promote malignancy, but rather that overexpression is one of several mechanisms that generate unregulated erbB signaling. ..
- Yang J, Qian J, Wezeman M, Wang S, Lin P, Wang M, et al. Targeting beta2-microglobulin for induction of tumor apoptosis in human hematological malignancies. Cancer Cell. 2006;10:295-307 pubmed..Therefore, such mAbs offer the potential for a therapeutic approach to hematological malignancies. ..
- Yu S, Murph M, Lu Y, Liu S, Hall H, Liu J, et al. Lysophosphatidic acid receptors determine tumorigenicity and aggressiveness of ovarian cancer cells. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008;100:1630-42 pubmed publisher..Expression of LPA2 or LPA3 during ovarian carcinogenesis contributes to ovarian cancer aggressiveness, suggesting that the targeting of LPA production and action may have potential for the treatment of ovarian cancer. ..
- Lopez G, Liu J, Ren W, Wei W, Wang S, Lahat G, et al. Combining PCI-24781, a novel histone deacetylase inhibitor, with chemotherapy for the treatment of soft tissue sarcoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:3472-83 pubmed publisher..Consequently, we investigated the novel HDACi PCI-24781, alone/in combination with conventional chemotherapy, to determine its potential anti-STS-related effects and the underlying mechanisms involved...
- Moghaddam S, Barta P, Mirabolfathinejad S, Ammar Aouchiche Z, Garza N, Vo T, et al. Curcumin inhibits COPD-like airway inflammation and lung cancer progression in mice. Carcinogenesis. 2009;30:1949-56 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that curcumin could be used to protract the premalignant phase and inhibit lung cancer progression in high-risk COPD patients. ..
- Jones R, Bjorklund C, Baladandayuthapani V, Kuhn D, Orlowski R. Drug resistance to inhibitors of the human double minute-2 E3 ligase is mediated by point mutations of p53, but can be overcome with the p53 targeting agent RITA. Mol Cancer Ther. 2012;11:2243-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, they suggest that simultaneous restoration of p53 function and HDM-2 inhibition is a rational strategy for clinical translation. ..
- Guo Y, Zhang Y, Yang X, Lu P, Yan X, Xiao F, et al. Effects of methylglyoxal and glyoxalase I inhibition on breast cancer cells proliferation, invasion, and apoptosis through modulation of MAPKs, MMP9, and Bcl-2. Cancer Biol Ther. 2016;17:169-80 pubmed publisher..These effects were modulated by activation of the MAPK family and downregulation of Bcl-2 and MMP-9. These findings may provide a new approach for the treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Sarkar A, Balakrishnan K, Chen J, Patel V, Neelapu S, McMurray J, et al. Molecular evidence of Zn chelation of the procaspase activating compound B-PAC-1 in B cell lymphoma. Oncotarget. 2016;7:3461-76 pubmed publisher..This study underscores the first genetic evidence that B-PAC-1 driven apoptosis is mediated via Zn chelation. ..
- Cordero Reyes A, Youker K, Trevino A, Celis R, Hamilton D, Flores Arredondo J, et al. Full Expression of Cardiomyopathy Is Partly Dependent on B-Cells: A Pathway That Involves Cytokine Activation, Immunoglobulin Deposition, and Activation of Apoptosis. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that B-cells play a contributory role in an angiotensin-II-induced HF model. ..
- Borsoi C, Leonard F, Lee Y, Zaid M, Elganainy D, Alexander J, et al. Gemcitabine enhances the transport of nanovector-albumin-bound paclitaxel in gemcitabine-resistant pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Lett. 2017;403:296-304 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we found that nAb-PTX treatment of gem-resistant PDAC can be enhanced by (1) gem through up-regulation of caveolin-1 and (2) MSV through increasing accumulation of nAb-PTX in the tumor. ..
- Janouskova H, El Tekle G, Bellini E, Udeshi N, Rinaldi A, Ulbricht A, et al. Opposing effects of cancer-type-specific SPOP mutants on BET protein degradation and sensitivity to BET inhibitors. Nat Med. 2017;23:1046-1054 pubmed publisher..Specifically, we provide a molecular rationale for the use of BET inhibitors to treat patients with endometrial but not prostate cancer who harbor SPOP mutations. ..
- Bermingham N, Hassan B, Wang V, Fernandez M, Banfi S, Bellen H, et al. Proprioceptor pathway development is dependent on Math1. Neuron. 2001;30:411-22 pubmed..We also identify three downstream genes of Math1 (Lh2A, Lh2B, and Barhl1) and establish that Math1 governs the development of multiple components of the proprioceptive pathway. ..
- Sabichi A, Modiano M, Lee J, PENG Y, Xu M, Villar H, et al. Breast tissue accumulation of retinamides in a randomized short-term study of fenretinide. Clin Cancer Res. 2003;9:2400-5 pubmed..The present results and previous data (including in vitro 4-HPR activity against ER-negative breast cancer) support further study of 4-HPR in the setting of premenopausal/ER-negative breast cancer prevention. ..
- Chang J, Wei L, Otani T, Youker K, Entman M, Schwartz R. Inhibitory cardiac transcription factor, SRF-N, is generated by caspase 3 cleavage in human heart failure and attenuated by ventricular unloading. Circulation. 2003;108:407-13 pubmed..Moreover, caspase 3 activation may be reversible in the failing heart with ventricular unloading. ..
- Iyer C, Kosters A, Sethi G, Kunnumakkara A, Aggarwal B, Versalovic J. Probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri promotes TNF-induced apoptosis in human myeloid leukemia-derived cells by modulation of NF-kappaB and MAPK signalling. Cell Microbiol. 2008;10:1442-52 pubmed publisher..An improved understanding of L. reuteri-mediated effects on apoptotic signalling pathways may facilitate development of future probiotics-based regimens for prevention of colorectal cancer and inflammatory bowel disease...
- Posey K, Veerisetty A, Liu P, Wang H, Poindexter B, Bick R, et al. An inducible cartilage oligomeric matrix protein mouse model recapitulates human pseudoachondroplasia phenotype. Am J Pathol. 2009;175:1555-63 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we have generated the first mouse model to show extensive intracellular retention of ECM proteins recapitulating the human PSACH disease process at the cellular level. ..
- Wei J, Barr J, Kong L, Wang Y, Wu A, Sharma A, et al. Glioblastoma cancer-initiating cells inhibit T-cell proliferation and effector responses by the signal transducers and activators of transcription 3 pathway. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:67-78 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that cancer-initiating cells contribute to the immune evasion of GBM and that blockade of the STAT3 pathway has therapeutic potential. ..
- Ji H, Ding Z, Hawke D, Xing D, Jiang B, Mills G, et al. AKT-dependent phosphorylation of Niban regulates nucleophosmin- and MDM2-mediated p53 stability and cell apoptosis. EMBO Rep. 2012;13:554-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings illustrate a pivotal role for AKT-mediated phosphorylation of Niban in protecting cells from genotoxic stress-induced cell apoptosis. ..
- Hatcher R, Dong J, Liu S, Bian G, Contreras A, Wang T, et al. Pttg1/securin is required for the branching morphogenesis of the mammary gland and suppresses mammary tumorigenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1008-13 pubmed publisher..Indeed, mice lacking Pttg1 developed spontaneous mammary tumors. Furthermore, in human breast tumors, PTTG1 protein levels were down-regulated and the reduction was significantly correlated with the tumor grade. ..
- Ananthaswamy H, Ouhtit A, Evans R, Gorny A, Khaskina P, Sands A, et al. Persistence of p53 mutations and resistance of keratinocytes to apoptosis are associated with the increased susceptibility of mice lacking the XPC gene to UV carcinogenesis. Oncogene. 1999;18:7395-8 pubmed
- Yang J, Gross R, Basinger S, Wu S. Apoptotic cell death of cultured salamander photoreceptors induced by cccp: CsA-insensitive mitochondrial permeability transition. J Cell Sci. 2001;114:1655-64 pubmed..This cell model provides an in vitro tool for studying mechanisms of photoreceptor apoptosis in isolated photoreceptors and may provide clues to the etiology of retinal degeneration. ..
- Tepera S, McCrea P, Rosen J. A beta-catenin survival signal is required for normal lobular development in the mammary gland. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:1137-49 pubmed..This study illustrates the importance of beta-catenin signalling in mammary lobuloalveolar development. ..
- Bergmann A, Lane M. HIDden targets of microRNAs for growth control. Trends Biochem Sci. 2003;28:461-3 pubmed..Recent advances in Drosophila research have implicated a microRNA as an important regulator of animal size. These studies reveal an unexpected layer of size regulation in higher animals. ..
- Vivas Mejia P, Benito J, Fernandez A, Han H, Mangala L, Rodriguez Aguayo C, et al. c-Jun-NH2-kinase-1 inhibition leads to antitumor activity in ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:184-94 pubmed publisher..These studies identify JNK-1 as an attractive therapeutic target in ovarian carcinoma and that the redesigned WBZ_4 compound should be considered for further clinical development. ..
- Cho H, Koto M, Riesterer O, Molkentine D, Giri U, Milas L, et al. Imexon augments sensitivity of human lymphoma cells to ionizing radiation: in vitro experimental study. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:4409-15 pubmed..In conclusion, imexon efficiently augmented lymphoma cell radiosensitivity independently of glutathione and the underlying mechanisms include induction of apoptosis and cell cycle redistribution. ..
- Shirazi F, Kontoyiannis D. The calcineurin pathway inhibitor tacrolimus enhances the in vitro activity of azoles against Mucorales via apoptosis. Eukaryot Cell. 2013;12:1225-34 pubmed publisher..We found that PCZ or ICZ in combination with TCR renders Mucorales sensitive to triazoles via apoptotic death. These observations could serve as a new paradigm for the development of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Lu H, Kojima K, Battula V, Korchin B, Shi Y, Chen Y, et al. Targeting connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) in acute lymphoblastic leukemia preclinical models: anti-CTGF monoclonal antibody attenuates leukemia growth. Ann Hematol. 2014;93:485-492 pubmed publisher..Data suggest that CTGF represents a targetable molecular aberration in B-ALL, and blocking CTGF signaling in conjunction with administration of chemotherapy may represent a novel therapeutic approach for ALL patients. ..
- Mehta K, Fok J, Mangala L. Tissue transglutaminase: from biological glue to cell survival cues. Front Biosci. 2006;11:173-85 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the implications of increased TG2 expression in drug-resistant and metastatic cancer cells and that how TG2 expression can contribute in the development of these phenotypes. ..
- Wen J, Cheng H, Feng Y, Rice L, Liu S, Mo A, et al. P38 MAPK inhibition enhancing ATO-induced cytotoxicity against multiple myeloma cells. Br J Haematol. 2008;140:169-80 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ATO-induced p38 MAPK activation plays an important role in the resistance to ATO in myeloma cells and that p38 MAPK inhibition may overcome resistance to ATO treatment in myeloma patients. ..
- Li Y, Mine T, Ioannides C. Short GC-rich RNA similar to miR 1909 and 1915 folds in silico with the 5'-UTR and ORF of Notch and responders: potential for the elimination of cancer stem cells. Oncol Rep. 2010;24:1443-53 pubmed..Anti-HHB is the first candidate eRNA to fold, in silico, with multiple targets in 5'-UTR and ORF of Notch-1 partners with at least 2-times higher ?G than natural miRs with 3'-UTR Notch-1. ..
- Zhao Q, Behringer R, de Crombrugghe B. Prenatal folic acid treatment suppresses acrania and meroanencephaly in mice mutant for the Cart1 homeobox gene. Nat Genet. 1996;13:275-83 pubmed..Prenatal treatment of Cart1 homozygous mutants with folic acid suppresses the development of the acrania/meroanencephaly phenotype...
- Clifford J, Sabichi A, Zou C, Yang X, Steele V, Kelloff G, et al. Effects of novel phenylretinamides on cell growth and apoptosis in bladder cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001;10:391-5 pubmed..These in vitro findings warrant further study of these novel phenylretinamides, which may have potential as preventive or therapeutic agents in transitional cell cancer. ..
- Kagawa S, Gu J, Honda T, McDonnell T, Swisher S, Roth J, et al. Deficiency of caspase-3 in MCF7 cells blocks Bax-mediated nuclear fragmentation but not cell death. Clin Cancer Res. 2001;7:1474-80 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that a deficit in caspase-3 is not sufficient to block Bax-induced cell death. ..
- Fu L, Pelicano H, Liu J, Huang P, Lee C. The circadian gene Period2 plays an important role in tumor suppression and DNA damage response in vivo. Cell. 2002;111:41-50 pubmed..Our studies suggest that the mPer2 gene functions in tumor suppression by regulating DNA damage-responsive pathways. ..
- Uzgare A, Kaplan P, Greenberg N. Differential expression and/or activation of P38MAPK, erk1/2, and jnk during the initiation and progression of prostate cancer. Prostate. 2003;55:128-39 pubmed
- Kim S, Uehara H, Yazici S, He J, Langley R, Mathew P, et al. Modulation of bone microenvironment with zoledronate enhances the therapeutic effects of STI571 and paclitaxel against experimental bone metastasis of human prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2005;65:3707-15 pubmed..The present data recommend the combination of a bisphosphonate agent with protein tyrosine kinase inhibitor and an anticycling drug for the treatment of prostate cancer bone metastasis. ..
- Mangahas P, Yu X, Miller K, Zhou Z. The small GTPase Rab2 functions in the removal of apoptotic cells in Caenorhabditis elegans. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:357-73 pubmed publisher..We propose that UNC-108 acts on phagosomal surfaces to promote phagosome maturation and suggest that mammalian Rab2 may have a similar function in the degradation of apoptotic cells. ..
- Kadara H, Tahara E, Kim H, Lotan D, Myers J, Lotan R. Involvement of Rac in fenretinide-induced apoptosis. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4416-23 pubmed publisher..These findings show a preferential susceptibility of metastatic cells to the proapoptotic retinoid 4HPR through Rac activation and support the use of ROS-inducing agents such as 4HPR against metastatic cancer cells. ..
- Shah M, Bergeron A, Dong J, LÃ³pez J. Flow cytometric measurement of microparticles: pitfalls and protocol modifications. Platelets. 2008;19:365-72 pubmed publisher..These results illustrate the need to standardize assay protocols in order to obtain consistent measurements. Our studies further optimize sample preparation for microparticle detection. ..
- Huang X, Yang C, Jin C, Luo Y, Wang F, McKeehan W. Resident hepatocyte fibroblast growth factor receptor 4 limits hepatocarcinogenesis. Mol Carcinog. 2009;48:553-62 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that in contrast to ectopic FGFR1 that is a strong promoter of hepatoma, resident FGFR4 that mediates differentiated hepatocyte metabolic functions also serves to suppress hepatoma progression. ..
- Franco H, Dai D, Lee K, Rubel C, ROOP D, Boerboom D, et al. WNT4 is a key regulator of normal postnatal uterine development and progesterone signaling during embryo implantation and decidualization in the mouse. FASEB J. 2011;25:1176-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, WNT4 is a critical regulator not only of proper postnatal uterine development, but also embryo implantation and decidualization...
- Tran D. TGF-?: the sword, the wand, and the shield of FOXP3(+) regulatory T cells. J Mol Cell Biol. 2012;4:29-37 pubmed publisher..This triadic function of TGF-? empowers Tregs with the responsibility and burden to maintain homeostasis, promote immune tolerance, and regulate host defense against foreign pathogens. ..
- Christiansen A, Ding T, Fan Y, Graves H, Herz H, Lindblad J, et al. Non-cell autonomous control of apoptosis by ligand-independent Hedgehog signaling in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:302-11 pubmed publisher..This non-cell autonomous control of apoptosis highlights an underappreciated function of deregulated Hh signaling, which may help to generate a supportive micro-environment for tumor development. ..
- Sreedhar R, Giridharan V, Arumugam S, Karuppagounder V, Palaniyandi S, Krishnamurthy P, et al. Role of MAPK-mediated endoplasmic reticulum stress signaling in the heart during aging in senescence-accelerated prone mice. Biofactors. 2016;42:368-75 pubmed publisher..Thus targeting this signaling might be effective in treating age-related cardiac dysfunction. © 2016 BioFactors, 42(4):368-375, 2016. ..
- Zhang Y, Lingappan K. Differential sex-specific effects of oxygen toxicity in human umbilical vein endothelial cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;486:431-437 pubmed publisher..Since endothelial dysfunction has a major role in the pathogenesis of BPD, these differences could explain in part the mechanisms behind sex-specific differences in the incidence of this disease. ..
- McDonnell T, Beham A, Sarkiss M, Andersen M, Lo P. Importance of the Bcl-2 family in cell death regulation. Experientia. 1996;52:1008-17 pubmed..The mechanism(s) by which bcl-2 family members regulate cell death remain in large part unknown, although recent evidence suggests that bcl-2 may interfere with cellular signalling events involved in apoptosis induction. ..
- Yang J, Lin Y, Guo Z, Cheng J, Huang J, Deng L, et al. The essential role of MEKK3 in TNF-induced NF-kappaB activation. Nat Immunol. 2001;2:620-4 pubmed..We have also shown that MEKK3 interacts with RIP and directly phosphorylates IKK. The kinase activity of MEKK3 is pivotal to its function and, therefore, MEKK3 links RIP and IKK in TNF-induced NF-kappaB activation. ..
- Chen M, Huang L, Shabier Z, Wang J. Regulation of the lifespan in dendritic cell subsets. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2558-65 pubmed..Signaling from toll-like receptors (TLRs) up-regulated Bcl-xL and improved DC survival. Our data suggest that differential expression of apoptosis signaling molecules regulates the lifespan of different DC subsets. ..
- Harikumar K, Kunnumakkara A, Ahn K, Anand P, Krishnan S, Guha S, et al. Modification of the cysteine residues in IkappaBalpha kinase and NF-kappaB (p65) by xanthohumol leads to suppression of NF-kappaB-regulated gene products and potentiation of apoptosis in leukemia cells. Blood. 2009;113:2003-13 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results show that modification of cysteine residues of IKK and p65 by XN leads to inhibition of the NF-kappaB activation pathway, suppression of antiapoptotic gene products, and potentiation of apoptosis in leukemia cells. ..
- Cervantes Gomez F, Nimmanapalli R, Gandhi V. ATP analog enhances the actions of a heat shock protein 90 inhibitor in multiple myeloma cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2011;339:545-54 pubmed publisher..8-Cl-Ado combined with 17-AAG resulted in more than additive cytotoxicity. In conclusion, 8-Cl-Ado, which targets transcription, translation, and cellular bioenergy, enhanced 17-AAG-mediated cytotoxicity in myeloma cells. ..
- Sampath D, Malik A, Plunkett W, Nowak B, Williams B, Burton M, et al. Phase I clinical, pharmacokinetic, and pharmacodynamic study of the Akt-inhibitor triciribine phosphate monohydrate in patients with advanced hematologic malignancies. Leuk Res. 2013;37:1461-7 pubmed publisher..Further investigation of TCN-PM alone or in combination in patients with high Akt levels is warranted. ..
- Liu Q, Guntuku S, Cui X, Matsuoka S, Cortez D, Tamai K, et al. Chk1 is an essential kinase that is regulated by Atr and required for the G(2)/M DNA damage checkpoint. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1448-59 pubmed..Taken together, these data indicate that Chk1 plays an essential role in the mammalian DNA damage checkpoint, embryonic development, and tumor suppression, and that Atr regulates Chk1. ..
- Shi H, Liang R, Templeton N, Zhang M. Inhibition of breast tumor progression by systemic delivery of the maspin gene in a syngeneic tumor model. Mol Ther. 2002;5:755-61 pubmed..Such inhibition is mediated by SERPINB5 transgene through increased apoptosis in SERPINB5-treated tumors. Thus, SERPINB5 can be used in gene therapy against breast tumor growth and metastasis. ..
- Mukhopadhyay T, Sasaki J, Ramesh R, Roth J. Mebendazole elicits a potent antitumor effect on human cancer cell lines both in vitro and in vivo. Clin Cancer Res. 2002;8:2963-9 pubmed..These results suggest that MZ is effective in the treatment of cancer and other angiogenesis-dependent diseases...
- Schlette E, Medeiros L, Goy A, Lai R, Rassidakis G. Survivin expression predicts poorer prognosis in anaplastic large-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol. 2004;22:1682-8 pubmed..Survivin is expressed in approximately half of ALCL tumors and independently predicts unfavorable clinical outcome. Modulation of survivin expression or function may provide a novel target for experimental therapy in patients with ALCL. ..
- Chada S, Bocangel D, Ramesh R, Grimm E, Mumm J, Mhashilkar A, et al. mda-7/IL24 kills pancreatic cancer cells by inhibition of the Wnt/PI3K signaling pathways: identification of IL-20 receptor-mediated bystander activity against pancreatic cancer. Mol Ther. 2005;11:724-33 pubmed
- Hoque A, Chen H, Xu X. Statin induces apoptosis and cell growth arrest in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17:88-94 pubmed publisher..Future studies should focus on examining statins and other apoptosis-inducing drugs (e.g., cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors or curcumin) together to assess their efficacy in prevention of prostate cancer. ..
- Faderl S, Pal A, Bornmann W, Albitar M, Maxwell D, Van Q, et al. Kit inhibitor APcK110 induces apoptosis and inhibits proliferation of acute myeloid leukemia cells. Cancer Res. 2009;69:3910-7 pubmed publisher..g., SCF) and not exclusively KIT mutation status, it remains a potent inhibitor of AML and mastocytosis cell lines and primary AML samples. APcK110 and similar compounds should be evaluated in clinical trials of patients with AML...
- Haridas V, Nishimura G, Xu Z, Connolly F, Hanausek M, Walaszek Z, et al. Avicin D: a protein reactive plant isoprenoid dephosphorylates Stat 3 by regulating both kinase and phosphatase activities. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5578 pubmed publisher..Activation of PP-1, which also acts as a cellular economizer, combined with the redox regulation by avicins, can aid in redirecting metabolism from growth promoting anabolic to energy sparing pathways. ..
- Simeone A, Deng C, Kelloff G, Steele V, Johnson M, Tari A. N-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)retinamide is more potent than other phenylretinamides in inhibiting the growth of BRCA1-mutated breast cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2005;26:1000-7 pubmed..These in vitro results suggest that 4-HPR may be an effective chemopreventive agent against breast tumors that exhibit BRCA1 mutations because of its ability to induce NO-mediated apoptosis in such tumors. ..
- Iskander K, Gaikwad A, Paquet M, Long D, Brayton C, Barrios R, et al. Lower induction of p53 and decreased apoptosis in NQO1-null mice lead to increased sensitivity to chemical-induced skin carcinogenesis. Cancer Res. 2005;65:2054-8 pubmed
- Georgakis G, Li Y, Rassidakis G, Medeiros L, Younes A. The HSP90 inhibitor 17-AAG synergizes with doxorubicin and U0126 in anaplastic large cell lymphoma irrespective of ALK expression. Exp Hematol. 2006;34:1670-9 pubmed..Our data demonstrate that targeting HSP90 function by 17-AAG may offer a novel therapeutic strategy for ALCL, either as single-agent activity or by combining 17-AAG with conventional or targeted therapeutic schemes. ..
- Wenderfer S, Stepkowski S, Braun M. Increased survival and reduced renal injury in MRL/lpr mice treated with a novel sphingosine-1-phosphate receptor agonist. Kidney Int. 2008;74:1319-26 pubmed publisher..Ex vivo treatment of lymphocytes from MRL/lpr mice with KRP-203 enhanced their apoptosis. Our study indicates that KRP-203 attenuates kidney injury in MRL/lpr mice, in part, by reducing T-cell infiltrates. ..
- Nance C, Siwak E, Shearer W. Preclinical development of the green tea catechin, epigallocatechin gallate, as an HIV-1 therapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:459-65 pubmed publisher..Because this inhibition can be achieved at physiologic concentrations, the natural anti-HIV agent EGCG is a candidate as an alternative therapy in HIV-1 therapy. ..
- Orozco A, Jorgez C, Ramos Perez W, Popek E, Yu X, Kozinetz C, et al. Placental release of distinct DNA-associated micro-particles into maternal circulation: reflective of gestation time and preeclampsia. Placenta. 2009;30:891-7 pubmed publisher..03). HLA-G(+) and PLAP(+) MPs increase in maternal circulation at different times during gestation. DNA amounts per HLA-G(+) MP increase in preeclamptic women which might indicate dysfunctional extravillous cytotrophoblasts. ..
- Schouest K, Kurasawa Y, Furuta T, Hisamoto N, Matsumoto K, Schumacher J. The germinal center kinase GCK-1 is a negative regulator of MAP kinase activation and apoptosis in the C. elegans germline. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7450 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that individual germinal center kinases act in mechanistically distinct ways and that these functions are likely to depend on organ- and developmental-specific contexts. ..
- Zhang K, Wang M, Tamayo A, Shacham S, Kauffman M, Lee J, et al. Novel selective inhibitors of nuclear export CRM1 antagonists for therapy in mantle cell lymphoma. Exp Hematol. 2013;41:67-78.e4 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that SINE CRM1 antagonists are a potential novel therapy for patients with MCL, particular in relapsed/refractory disease. ..
- Sanchez Y, Elledge S. Stopped for repairs. Bioessays. 1995;17:545-8 pubmed..Antisense experiments have also indicated an in vivo role for the GADD45 gene in UV-irradiation survival. These discoveries establish a link between p53 and DNA repair through Gadd45. ..
- Waikel R, Wang X, Roop D. Targeted expression of c-Myc in the epidermis alters normal proliferation, differentiation and UV-B induced apoptosis. Oncogene. 1999;18:4870-8 pubmed..These findings provide evidence that overexpression of c-Myc in the epidermis induces proliferation, inhibits terminal differentiation and decreases the sensitivity of keratinocytes to UV-B induced apoptosis. ..
- Choi J, Chun K, Raz A, Lotan R. Inhibition of N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide-induced apoptosis in breast cancer cells by galectin-3. Cancer Biol Ther. 2004;3:447-52 pubmed..The demonstration that galectin-3 suppresses 4HPR-induced apoptosis in human breast carcinoma cells suggests that the increased expression of galectin-3 during cancer progression may be associated with 4HPR resistance. ..
- Xu D, Li Y, Arcaro M, Lackey M, Bergmann A. The CARD-carrying caspase Dronc is essential for most, but not all, developmental cell death in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:2125-34 pubmed..We also constructed double mutant flies for dronc and the apoptosis inhibitor diap1. dronc mutants can rescue the ovarian degeneration phenotype caused by diap1 mutations, confirming that dronc acts genetically downstream of diap1. ..
- Balakrishnan K, Wierda W, Keating M, Gandhi V. Mechanisms of cell death of chronic lymphocytic leukemia lymphocytes by RNA-directed agent, 8-NH2-adenosine. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:6745-52 pubmed..The evidence of CLL cell death with complementary changes in the expression of survival proteins provides a molecular rationale for using 8-NH(2)-adenosine as a therapeutic agent for this indolent leukemia. ..
- Arumugam T, Ramachandran V, Logsdon C. Effect of cromolyn on S100P interactions with RAGE and pancreatic cancer growth and invasion in mouse models. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006;98:1806-18 pubmed..001). However, cromolyn had no effect on growth of tumors lacking S100P (Panc-1). Cromolyn binds S100P, prevents activation of RAGE, inhibits tumor growth, and increases the effectiveness of gemcitabine in experimental models. ..
- Mourad Zeidan A, Melnikova V, Wang H, Raz A, Bar Eli M. Expression profiling of Galectin-3-depleted melanoma cells reveals its major role in melanoma cell plasticity and vasculogenic mimicry. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:1839-52 pubmed publisher..Thus, Gal-3 plays an essential role during the acquisition of vasculogenic mimicry and angiogenic properties associated with melanoma progression. ..
- Xu D, Woodfield S, Lee T, Fan Y, Antonio C, Bergmann A. Genetic control of programmed cell death (apoptosis) in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:78-90 pubmed..Here, we review the key players of the cell death pathway in Drosophila and discuss their roles in apoptotic and non-apoptotic processes. ..
- Shang X, Vasudevan S, Yu Y, Ge N, Ludwig A, Wesson C, et al. Dual-specificity phosphatase 26 is a novel p53 phosphatase and inhibits p53 tumor suppressor functions in human neuroblastoma. Oncogene. 2010;29:4938-46 pubmed publisher..This suggests that inhibition of this phosphatase may increase neuroblastoma chemosensitivity and DUSP26 is a novel therapeutic target for this aggressive pediatric malignancy. ..
- Dennison J, Shanmugam M, Ayres M, Qian J, Krett N, Medeiros L, et al. 8-Aminoadenosine inhibits Akt/mTOR and Erk signaling in mantle cell lymphoma. Blood. 2010;116:5622-30 pubmed publisher..We conclude that 8-NH(2)-Ado is efficacious in preclinical models of MCL and inhibits signaling of Akt/mTOR and Erk pathways. ..
- Shishodia S, Aggarwal B. Guggulsterone inhibits NF-kappaB and IkappaBalpha kinase activation, suppresses expression of anti-apoptotic gene products, and enhances apoptosis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47148-58 pubmed..Overall, our results indicate that guggulsterone suppresses NF-kappaB and NF-kappaB-regulated gene products, which may explain its anti-inflammatory activities. ..
- Kunnumakkara A, Guha S, Krishnan S, Diagaradjane P, Gelovani J, Aggarwal B. Curcumin potentiates antitumor activity of gemcitabine in an orthotopic model of pancreatic cancer through suppression of proliferation, angiogenesis, and inhibition of nuclear factor-kappaB-regulated gene products. Cancer Res. 2007;67:3853-61 pubmed..018 versus control). Overall, our results suggest that curcumin potentiates the antitumor effects of gemcitabine in pancreatic cancer by suppressing proliferation, angiogenesis, NF-kappaB, and NF-kappaB-regulated gene products. ..
- Li L, Abdel Fattah E, Cao G, Ren C, Yang G, Goltsov A, et al. Glioma pathogenesis-related protein 1 exerts tumor suppressor activities through proapoptotic reactive oxygen species-c-Jun-NH2 kinase signaling. Cancer Res. 2008;68:434-43 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results identify GLIPR1 as a proapoptotic tumor suppressor acting through the ROS-JNK pathway and support the therapeutic potential for this protein. ..
- Gupta S, Kim J, Prasad S, Aggarwal B. Regulation of survival, proliferation, invasion, angiogenesis, and metastasis of tumor cells through modulation of inflammatory pathways by nutraceuticals. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2010;29:405-34 pubmed publisher..Various cell signaling pathways that are modulated by these agents will also be discussed. ..
- Wu W, Xu Z, Ran R, Meng F, Chang K. Promyelocytic leukemia protein PML inhibits Nur77-mediated transcription through specific functional interactions. Oncogene. 2002;21:3925-33 pubmed..This study supports a role of PML/Nur77 interaction in regulating cell growth and apoptosis. ..