Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Publications1330 found, 100 shown here
- Hunter R, Olsen M, Jagannath C, Actor J. Trehalose 6,6'-dimycolate and lipid in the pathogenesis of caseating granulomas of tuberculosis in mice. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1249-61 pubmed..This supports the hypothesis that pulmonary tuberculosis sequesters MTB in a protected environment that accumulates lipid until it is able to activate the toxicity of TDM and initiate necrosis that results in caseating granulomas. ..
- Zhang H, Singh R, Talukder A, Kumar R. Metastatic tumor antigen 3 is a direct corepressor of the Wnt4 pathway. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2943-8 pubmed..These findings identify MTA3 as an upstream physiologic repressor of Wnt4 in mammary epithelial cells. ..
- Akimzhanov A, Yang X, Dong C. Chromatin remodeling of interleukin-17 (IL-17)-IL-17F cytokine gene locus during inflammatory helper T cell differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:5969-72 pubmed..In summary, our results demonstrate for the first time that THi cell differentiation is associated with epigenetic changes in the IL-17-IL-17F locus, which suggests novel mechanisms in T cell functional regulation. ..
- Santamaria A, Cushing C, Antonini J, Finley B, Mowat F. State-of-the-science review: Does manganese exposure during welding pose a neurological risk?. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2007;10:417-65 pubmed..Our review ends with a discussion of the data gaps and areas for future research. ..
- Li Y, Zhang Y, Hill J, Kim H, Shen Q, Bissonnette R, et al. The rexinoid, bexarotene, prevents the development of premalignant lesions in MMTV-erbB2 mice. Br J Cancer. 2008;98:1380-8 pubmed publisher..Such rexinoid-regulated genes also represent potential biomarkers to assess the response of rexinoid treatment in clinical trials. ..
- Piao Y, Jiang H, Alemany R, Krasnykh V, Marini F, Xu J, et al. Oncolytic adenovirus retargeted to Delta-EGFR induces selective antiglioma activity. Cancer Gene Ther. 2009;16:256-65 pubmed publisher..DeltaEGFR cells. Therefore, our results constitute the first proof of the direct targeting of a cancer-specific receptor using an oncolytic adenovirus. ..
- Cao Y, Liu X, Zhang W, Deng X, Zhang H, Liu Y, et al. TGF-beta repression of Id2 induces apoptosis in gut epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2009;28:1089-98 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, knockdown of HIF-1 blocked TGF-beta-induced apoptosis. Thus, we have identified HIF-1 as a novel mediator downstream of Id2 in the pathway of TGF-beta-induced apoptosis. ..
- Wu X, McNeil B, Xu J, Fan J, Xue L, Melicoff E, et al. Ca(2+) and calmodulin initiate all forms of endocytosis during depolarization at a nerve terminal. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:1003-1010 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide a unifying mechanism for the initiation of various forms of endocytosis that are critical in maintaining exocytosis. ..
- Li C, Biswas S, Li X, Dutta A, Le W. Novel D3 dopamine receptor-preferring agonist D-264: Evidence of neuroprotective property in Parkinson's disease animal models induced by 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine and lactacystin. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:2513-23 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that D-264 could potentially serve as a symptomatic and neuroprotective treatment agent for PD. ..
- Doucette T, Yang Y, Zhang W, Fuller G, Suki D, Fults D, et al. Bcl-2 promotes malignant progression in a PDGF-B-dependent murine model of oligodendroglioma. Int J Cancer. 2011;129:2093-103 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that suppressed apoptosis enhances oligodendroglioma formation and engenders a more malignant phenotype...
- King K, Baldridge M, Weksberg D, Chambers S, Lukov G, Wu S, et al. Irgm1 protects hematopoietic stem cells by negative regulation of IFN signaling. Blood. 2011;118:1525-33 pubmed publisher..The deleterious effects of excessive IFN signaling may explain how hematologic abnormalities arise in patients with inflammatory conditions. ..
- Barta P, Van Pelt C, Men T, Dickey B, Lotan R, Moghaddam S. Enhancement of lung tumorigenesis in a Gprc5a Knockout mouse by chronic extrinsic airway inflammation. Mol Cancer. 2012;11:4 pubmed publisher..This was associated with increased microvessel density and HIF-1? expression. We conclude that chronic extrinsic lung inflammation induced by bacteria alone or in combination with NNK enhances lung tumorigenesis in Gprc5a-/- mice. ..
- Pan F, Keung J, Kim I, Snuggs M, Mills S, O BRIEN J, et al. Connexin 57 is expressed by the axon terminal network of B-type horizontal cells in the rabbit retina. J Comp Neurol. 2012;520:2256-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, in species where there are two types of HC, different connexins are expressed. The absence of Cx57 labeling in the somatic dendrites of B-type HCs suggests the possibility of an additional unidentified HC connexin in the rabbit...
- Nolan M, Schuermann J, Murray K. West Nile virus infection among humans, Texas, USA, 2002-2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:137-9 pubmed publisher..West Nile virus has become endemic to Texas; the number of reported cases increased every 3 years. Risk for infection was greatest in rural northwestern Texas, where Culex tarsalis mosquitoes are the predominant mosquito species...
- Nevozhay D, Zal T, BALAZSI G. Transferring a synthetic gene circuit from yeast to mammalian cells. Nat Commun. 2013;4:1451 pubmed publisher..The steps we have taken should be generally relevant for transferring any gene circuit from yeast into mammalian cells. ..
- Luo G, Hofmann C, Bronckers A, Sohocki M, Bradley A, Karsenty G. BMP-7 is an inducer of nephrogenesis, and is also required for eye development and skeletal patterning. Genes Dev. 1995;9:2808-20 pubmed..In addition, BMP-7-deficient mice have eye defects that appear to originate during lens induction. Finally, BMP-7-deficient mice also have skeletal patterning defects restricted to the rib cage, the skull, and the hindlimbs. ..
- Winston J, Strack P, Beer Romero P, Chu C, Elledge S, Harper J. The SCFbeta-TRCP-ubiquitin ligase complex associates specifically with phosphorylated destruction motifs in IkappaBalpha and beta-catenin and stimulates IkappaBalpha ubiquitination in vitro. Genes Dev. 1999;13:270-83 pubmed..Our results suggest that an SCFbeta-TRCP complex functions in multiple transcriptional programs by activating the NF-kappaB pathway and inhibiting the beta-catenin pathway. ..
- Goodwin T, Coate Li L, Linnehan R, Hammond T. Selected contribution: a three-dimensional model for assessment of in vitro toxicity in balaena mysticetus renal tissue. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2000;89:2508-17 pubmed..Techniques developed in this investigation, based on previous tissue modeling successes, may serve to facilitate similar research in other marine mammals...
- Urizar N, Liverman A, Dodds D, Silva F, Ordentlich P, Yan Y, et al. A natural product that lowers cholesterol as an antagonist ligand for FXR. Science. 2002;296:1703-6 pubmed..Other natural products with specific biologic effects may modulate the activity of FXR or other relatively promiscuous nuclear hormone receptors. ..
- Robinson P, White A, Lewis D, Thornby J, David E, Weinstock J. Sequential expression of the neuropeptides substance P and somatostatin in granulomas associated with murine cysticercosis. Infect Immun. 2002;70:4534-8 pubmed..008, as determined by the Wilcoxon signed rank test). SP and somatostatin are therefore temporally expressed in granulomas associated with murine cysticercosis, which may be related to differential expression of Th1 and Th2 cytokines. ..
- Liang Y, Lin X, Liang M, Brunicardi F, Ten Dijke P, Chen Z, et al. dSmurf selectively degrades decapentaplegic-activated MAD, and its overexpression disrupts imaginal disc development. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:26307-10 pubmed..We conclude that dSmurf specifically targets phosphorylated MAD to proteasome-dependent degradation and regulates DPP signaling during development. ..
- Kozar R, Holcomb J, Hassoun H, Macaitis J, DeSoignie R, Moore F. Superior mesenteric artery occlusion models shock-induced gut ischemia-reperfusion. J Surg Res. 2004;116:145-50 pubmed..The purpose of the current study was to compare SMAO to a standard model of controlled hemorrhage (CH) and uncontrolled hemorrhage (UH)...
- Chang S. A mouse model of Werner Syndrome: what can it tell us about aging and cancer?. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2005;37:991-9 pubmed..This mouse model thus provides a unique genetic platform to explore molecular mechanisms by which telomere dysfunction and loss of WRN gene function leads to the onset of premature aging and cancer...
- Hachem R, Bahna P, Hanna H, Stephens L, Raad I. EDTA as an adjunct antifungal agent for invasive pulmonary aspergillosis in a rodent model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006;50:1823-7 pubmed
- Hoeffer C, Dey A, Sachan N, Wong H, Patterson R, Shelton J, et al. The Down syndrome critical region protein RCAN1 regulates long-term potentiation and memory via inhibition of phosphatase signaling. J Neurosci. 2007;27:13161-72 pubmed..We propose a model in which RCAN1 plays a positive role in L-LTP and memory by constraining phosphatase signaling. ..
- Poche R, Furuta Y, Chaboissier M, Schedl A, Behringer R. Sox9 is expressed in mouse multipotent retinal progenitor cells and functions in Müller glial cell development. J Comp Neurol. 2008;510:237-50 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, by employing a conditional knockout approach, we show that Sox9 is essential for the differentiation and/or survival of postnatal Müller glial cells. ..
- Samanta A, Chakraborty S, Wang Y, Kantarjian H, Sun X, Hood J, et al. Jak2 inhibition deactivates Lyn kinase through the SET-PP2A-SHP1 pathway, causing apoptosis in drug-resistant cells from chronic myelogenous leukemia patients. Oncogene. 2009;28:1669-81 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Lyn is downstream of Jak2, and Jak2 maintains activated Lyn kinase in CML through the SET-PP2A-Shp1 pathway. ..
- Nguyen T, Slattery S, Moon S, Darlington Y, Lu X, Donehower L. The oncogenic phosphatase WIP1 negatively regulates nucleotide excision repair. DNA Repair (Amst). 2010;9:813-23 pubmed publisher..Thus WIP1 may suppress NER kinetics by dephosphorylating and inactivating XPA and XPC and other NER proteins and regulators after UV-induced DNA damage is repaired. ..
- Ghosh M, Schonbrunn A. Differential temporal and spatial regulation of somatostatin receptor phosphorylation and dephosphorylation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:13561-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, the pattern of receptor phosphorylation is determined by the duration of agonist stimulation and compartment-specific enzymatic activity. ..
- Zhang H, Dougherty P. Acute inhibition of signalling phenotype of spinal GABAergic neurons by tumour necrosis factor-alpha. J Physiol. 2011;589:4511-26 pubmed publisher..This study defines a novel mechanism of spinal disinhibition mediated by a TNF?-TNFR1-p38 pathway within GABAergic inhibitory interneurons. ..
- Hong J, Park J, Lee M, Mu oz W, Miller R, Ji H, et al. Down's-syndrome-related kinase Dyrk1A modulates the p120-catenin-Kaiso trajectory of the Wnt signaling pathway. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:561-9 pubmed publisher..Conceivably, this work might also prove relevant to understanding the contribution of Dyrk1A dosage imbalance in Down's syndrome...
- Sack J, Saper M, Quiocho F. Periplasmic binding protein structure and function. Refined X-ray structures of the leucine/isoleucine/valine-binding protein and its complex with leucine. J Mol Biol. 1989;206:171-91 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Wolf P, Cook R. The class I-b molecule Qa-1 forms heterodimers with H-2Ld and a novel 50-kD glycoprotein encoded centromeric to I-E beta. J Exp Med. 1995;181:657-68 pubmed..These interactions may enable increased levels of Qa-1 to reach the cell surface and may subsequently influence T cell recognition of Qa-1 and/or Ld molecules. ..
- Miano J, Cserjesi P, Ligon K, Periasamy M, Olson E. Smooth muscle myosin heavy chain exclusively marks the smooth muscle lineage during mouse embryogenesis. Circ Res. 1994;75:803-12 pubmed..The SM-MHC promoter should therefore serve as a useful model for defining the mechanisms that govern SMC transcription during development and disease. ..
- O Brian C. Protein kinase C-alpha: a novel target for the therapy of androgen-independent prostate cancer? (Review-hypothesis). Oncol Rep. 1998;5:305-9 pubmed
- Wu M, Fergestad T, Lloyd T, He Y, Broadie K, Bellen H. Syntaxin 1A interacts with multiple exocytic proteins to regulate neurotransmitter release in vivo. Neuron. 1999;23:593-605 pubmed
- Udden M. Rat erythrocyte morphological changes after gavage dosing with 2-butoxyethanol: a comparison with the in vitro effects of butoxyacetic acid on rat and human erythrocytes. J Appl Toxicol. 2000;20:381-7 pubmed..2-Butoxyethanol in vivo and BAA in vitro cause similar changes in rat red blood cell morphology, adding further evidence to support the primary role of BAA in the hemolytic effect of 2-BE exposure in the rat. ..
- Wang X, Weiner J, Levi S, Craig A, Bradley A, Sanes J. Gamma protocadherins are required for survival of spinal interneurons. Neuron. 2002;36:843-54 pubmed..In cultures from mutant spinal cord, neurons differentiate and form synapses but then die. Thus, Pcdh-gamma genes are dispensable for at least some aspects of connectivity but required for survival of specific neuronal types. ..
- Elefteriou F, Takeda S, Ebihara K, Magre J, Patano N, Kim C, et al. Serum leptin level is a regulator of bone mass. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:3258-63 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that adipocyte-derived circulating leptin is a determinant of bone formation and suggests that leptin antiosteogenic function is conserved in vertebrates. ..
- Aytac U, Dang N. CD26/dipeptidyl peptidase IV: a regulator of immune function and a potential molecular target for therapy. Curr Drug Targets Immune Endocr Metabol Disord. 2004;4:11-8 pubmed
- Wislez M, Spencer M, Izzo J, Juroske D, Balhara K, Cody D, et al. Inhibition of mammalian target of rapamycin reverses alveolar epithelial neoplasia induced by oncogenic K-ras. Cancer Res. 2005;65:3226-35 pubmed
- Mo X, Nguyen N, McEwan P, Zheng X, Lopez J, Emsley J, et al. Binding of platelet glycoprotein Ibbeta through the convex surface of leucine-rich repeats domain of glycoprotein IX. J Thromb Haemost. 2009;7:1533-40 pubmed publisher..The putative convex surface of the LRR domain in GPIX is sufficient, in the context of full-length subunit, to mediate its association with GPIbbeta. ..
- Reddy A, Namiranian K, Lloyd E, Bryan R, Taffet G, Hartley C. Effect of isoflurane on aortic impedance in mice. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2009;2009:1104-5 pubmed publisher..These results show that various levels of isoflurane cause significant changes in vascular hemodynamics and care must be taken to minimize these differences when using isoflurane as an anesthesia. ..
- Ren B, Azzegagh Z, Jaramillo A, Zhu Y, Pardo Saganta A, Bagirzadeh R, et al. SNAP23 is selectively expressed in airway secretory cells and mediates baseline and stimulated mucin secretion. Biosci Rep. 2015;35: pubmed publisher..The lungs of mutant mice develop normally and clear bacteria and instilled polystyrene beads comparable to WT mice, consistent with these functions depending on baseline secretion that is fully compensated. ..
- Dong J, Albertini D, Nishimori K, Kumar T, Lu N, Matzuk M. Growth differentiation factor-9 is required during early ovarian folliculogenesis. Nature. 1996;383:531-5 pubmed..Oocyte growth and zona pellucida formation proceed normally, but other aspects of oocyte differentiation are compromised. Thus, GDF-9 is the first oocyte-derived growth factor required for somatic cell function in vivo. ..
- Mishina Y, Rey R, Finegold M, Matzuk M, Josso N, Cate R, et al. Genetic analysis of the Müllerian-inhibiting substance signal transduction pathway in mammalian sexual differentiation. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2577-87 pubmed..These studies provide in vivo evidence that MIS is the only ligand of the MIS type II receptor, in contrast to the complexity of other TGF-beta gene family signaling pathways. ..
- McDonnell T, Beham A, Sarkiss M, Andersen M, Lo P. Importance of the Bcl-2 family in cell death regulation. Experientia. 1996;52:1008-17 pubmed..The mechanism(s) by which bcl-2 family members regulate cell death remain in large part unknown, although recent evidence suggests that bcl-2 may interfere with cellular signalling events involved in apoptosis induction. ..
- Matzuk M, Dionne L, Guo Q, Kumar T, Lebovitz R. Ovarian function in superoxide dismutase 1 and 2 knockout mice. Endocrinology. 1998;139:4008-11 pubmed..These studies support an important role of SOD1 in female reproductive function and suggest that SOD2 is not essential for ovarian function. ..
- Mukhopadhyay A, Ni J, Zhai Y, Yu G, Aggarwal B. Identification and characterization of a novel cytokine, THANK, a TNF homologue that activates apoptosis, nuclear factor-kappaB, and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:15978-81 pubmed..Thus our results indicate that THANK is a novel cytokine that belongs to the TNF family and activates apoptosis, NF-kappaB, and JNK through a distinct receptor. ..
- Jeromin A, Muralidhar D, Parameswaran M, Roder J, Fairwell T, Scarlata S, et al. N-terminal myristoylation regulates calcium-induced conformational changes in neuronal calcium sensor-1. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:27158-67 pubmed..These results suggest that myristoylation influences the protein conformation and Ca(2+) binding, which might be crucial for its physiological functions. ..
- Braun M, Reins R, Li T, Hollmann T, Dutta R, Rick W, et al. Renal expression of the C3a receptor and functional responses of primary human proximal tubular epithelial cells. J Immunol. 2004;173:4190-6 pubmed..These studies define a new pathway by which complement activation may directly modulate the renal response to immunologic injury. ..
- Tang L, Alger H, Lin F, Pereira F. Dynamic expression of COUP-TFI and COUP-TFII during development and functional maturation of the mouse inner ear. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:587-92 pubmed
- Gasull X, Liao X, Dulin M, Phelps C, Walters E. Evidence that long-term hyperexcitability of the sensory neuron soma induced by nerve injury in Aplysia is adaptive. J Neurophysiol. 2005;94:2218-30 pubmed..Fourth, axotomized SNs developed central afterdischarge that amplified sensory discharge coming from the periphery, and the after-depolarization underlying this afterdischarge was enhanced by previous axotomy. ..
- Chen M, Huang L, Shabier Z, Wang J. Regulation of the lifespan in dendritic cell subsets. Mol Immunol. 2007;44:2558-65 pubmed..Signaling from toll-like receptors (TLRs) up-regulated Bcl-xL and improved DC survival. Our data suggest that differential expression of apoptosis signaling molecules regulates the lifespan of different DC subsets. ..
- Bast R, Brewer M, Zou C, Hernandez M, Daley M, Ozols R, et al. Prevention and early detection of ovarian cancer: mission impossible?. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2007;174:91-100 pubmed..In the future, serum markers should improve the sensitivity of detecting recurrent disease as well as facilitate earlier detection of ovarian cancer. ..
- Todd S, Malinoski D, Muller P, Schreiber M. Lactated Ringer's is superior to normal saline in the resuscitation of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock. J Trauma. 2007;62:636-9 pubmed..Resuscitation with LR results in an elevation of the lactate level that is not associated with acidosis. Lactated Ringer's solution is superior to NS for the resuscitation of uncontrolled hemorrhagic shock in swine. ..
- VENEGAS V, Zhou Z. Two alternative mechanisms that regulate the presentation of apoptotic cell engulfment signal in Caenorhabditis elegans. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3180-92 pubmed
- Paul A, Yechoor V, Raja R, Li L, Chan L. Microarray gene profiling of laser-captured cells: a new tool to study atherosclerosis in mice. Atherosclerosis. 2008;200:257-63 pubmed publisher..We believe that this method represents a useful new tool for the unbiased analysis of global gene expression of specific sub-regions in atherosclerotic lesions in different rodent models. ..
- Engin F, Yao Z, Yang T, Zhou G, Bertin T, Jiang M, et al. Dimorphic effects of Notch signaling in bone homeostasis. Nat Med. 2008;14:299-305 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings highlight the potential dimorphic effects of Notch signaling in bone homeostasis and may provide direction for novel therapeutic applications. ..
- Lorenzetti F, Baxter D, Byrne J. Molecular mechanisms underlying a cellular analog of operant reward learning. Neuron. 2008;59:815-28 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate how these molecules can interact to mediate operant conditioning in an individual neuron important for the expression of the conditioned behavior. ..
- Clement Kruzel S, Hwang S, Kruzel M, Dasgupta A, Actor J. Immune modulation of macrophage pro-inflammatory response by goldenseal and Astragalus extracts. J Med Food. 2008;11:493-8 pubmed publisher..Both products differ in their immune stimulatory patterns, offering insight into differential use and therapeutic potential of these products to regulate macrophage immune responses and activation events...
- Spannuth W, Nick A, Jennings N, Armaiz Pena G, Mangala L, Danes C, et al. Functional significance of VEGFR-2 on ovarian cancer cells. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:1045-53 pubmed publisher..001). We show functionally active VEGFR-2 is present on most ovarian cancer cells. The observed anti-tumor activity of VEGF-targeted therapies may be mediated by both anti-angiogenic and direct anti-tumor effects. ..
- Chen M, Chen G, Nie H, Zhang X, Niu X, Zang Y, et al. Regulatory effects of IFN-beta on production of osteopontin and IL-17 by CD4+ T Cells in MS. Eur J Immunol. 2009;39:2525-36 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into the mechanism of action of IFN-beta in the treatment of MS. ..
- Kumar M, Jung S, Hodgson A, Madden C, Qin J, Slagle B. Hepatitis B virus regulatory HBx protein binds to adaptor protein IPS-1 and inhibits the activation of beta interferon. J Virol. 2011;85:987-95 pubmed publisher..Hepatitis B virus now joins hepatitis C virus and hepatitis A virus in targeting the same innate immune response pathway, presumably as a shared strategy to benefit replication of these viruses in the liver...
- Henkel J, Beers D, Wen S, Rivera A, Toennis K, Appel J, et al. Regulatory T-lymphocytes mediate amyotrophic lateral sclerosis progression and survival. EMBO Mol Med. 2013;5:64-79 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that Tregs and Th2 lymphocytes influence disease progression rates. Importantly, early reduced FoxP3 levels could be used to identify rapidly progressing patients. ..
- Jin J, Iakova P, Breaux M, Sullivan E, Jawanmardi N, Chen D, et al. Increased expression of enzymes of triglyceride synthesis is essential for the development of hepatic steatosis. Cell Rep. 2013;3:831-43 pubmed publisher..Notably, the p300-C/EBP?/? pathway is activated in the livers of patients with NAFLD. Thus, our results show that p300 and C/EBP proteins are essential participants in hepatic steatosis. ..
- Ramani S, Cortes Penfield N, Hu L, Crawford S, Czakó R, Smith D, et al. The VP8* domain of neonatal rotavirus strain G10P binds to type II precursor glycans. J Virol. 2013;87:7255-64 pubmed publisher..These studies provide the first molecular basis for understanding neonatal rotavirus infections, indicating that glycan modification during neonatal development may mediate the age-restricted infectivity of neonatal viruses...
- Garcia T, Hofmann M. NOTCH signaling in Sertoli cells regulates gonocyte fate. Cell Cycle. 2013;12:2538-45 pubmed publisher..These data further suggest that NOTCH signaling orchestrates a dynamic balance between maintenance and differentiation of gonocytes in the perinatal testis. ..
- Mahanti P, Bose N, Bethke A, Judkins J, Wollam J, Dumas K, et al. Comparative metabolomics reveals endogenous ligands of DAF-12, a nuclear hormone receptor, regulating C. elegans development and lifespan. Cell Metab. 2014;19:73-83 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the advantages of comparative metabolomics over traditional candidate-based approaches and provide a blueprint for the identification of ligands for other C. elegans and mammalian NHRs. ..
- DÃaz Aguila Y, CastelÃ¡n F, Cuevas E, Zambrano E, MartÃnez GÃ³mez M, MuÃ±oz A, et al. Consumption of sucrose from infancy increases the visceral fat accumulation, concentration of triglycerides, insulin and leptin, and generates abnormalities in the adrenal gland. Anat Sci Int. 2016;91:151-62 pubmed publisher..No changes in corticosterone serum level were observed in either group. Our results suggest that a high sucrose liquid-diet from early life alters the morphology of adrenocortical zones, leading to MetS indicators. ..
- Dubinsky W, Mayorga Wark O, Garretson L, Schultz S. Immunoisolation of a K+ channel from basolateral membranes of Necturus enterocytes. Am J Physiol. 1993;265:C548-55 pubmed
- Gilbreth M, Yang P, Wang D, Frost J, Polverino A, Cobb M, et al. The highly conserved skb1 gene encodes a protein that interacts with Shk1, a fission yeast Ste20/PAK homolog. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13802-7 pubmed..Thus, skb1 may be the first well-characterized member of a highly conserved family of genes encoding potential p21Cdc42/Rac-activated kinase regulators. ..
- Guo Q, Kumar T, Woodruff T, Hadsell L, DeMayo F, Matzuk M. Overexpression of mouse follistatin causes reproductive defects in transgenic mice. Mol Endocrinol. 1998;12:96-106 pubmed..These results suggest that follistatin exerts its effects at the levels of the gonads and pituitary as a local regulator of activin and possibly other transforming growth factor-beta family members. ..
- Chen R, Halder G, Zhang Z, Mardon G. Signaling by the TGF-beta homolog decapentaplegic functions reiteratively within the network of genes controlling retinal cell fate determination in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:935-43 pubmed..These results suggest a mechanism by which a general patterning signal such as Decapentaplegic cooperates reiteratively with tissue-specific factors to determine distinct cell fates during development. ..
- Headon D, Overbeek P. Involvement of a novel Tnf receptor homologue in hair follicle induction. Nat Genet. 1999;22:370-4 pubmed..Its ligand is likely to be the product of the tabby (Ta) gene, as Ta mutants have a phenotype identical to that of dl mutants and Ta encodes a Tnf-like protein. ..
- Ducy P, Amling M, Takeda S, Priemel M, Schilling A, Beil F, et al. Leptin inhibits bone formation through a hypothalamic relay: a central control of bone mass. Cell. 2000;100:197-207 pubmed..This study identifies leptin as a potent inhibitor of bone formation acting through the central nervous system and therefore describes the central nature of bone mass control and its disorders. ..
- Shimizu M, Wang W, Walch E, Dunne P, Epstein H. Rac-1 and Raf-1 kinases, components of distinct signaling pathways, activate myotonic dystrophy protein kinase. FEBS Lett. 2000;475:273-7 pubmed..The interaction of DMPK with these distinct signals suggests that it may play a role as a nexus for cross-talk between their respective pathways and may partially explain the remarkable pleiotropy of DM. ..
- Fernandez Funez P, Nino Rosales M, de Gouyon B, She W, Luchak J, Martinez P, et al. Identification of genes that modify ataxin-1-induced neurodegeneration. Nature. 2000;408:101-6 pubmed..These findings may be relevant to the treatment of polyglutamine diseases and, perhaps, to other neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. ..
- Ling P, Meyer C, Redmond L, Shui J, Davis B, Rich R, et al. Involvement of hematopoietic progenitor kinase 1 in T cell receptor signaling. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18908-14 pubmed..Differential complex formation between HPK1 and adapters highlights the possible involvement of HPK1 in multiple signaling pathways in T cells. ..
- Dineley K, Weeber E, Atkins C, Adams J, Anderson A, Sweatt J. Leitmotifs in the biochemistry of LTP induction: amplification, integration and coordination. J Neurochem. 2001;77:961-71 pubmed..Among these themes are signal amplification, signal integration and signal coordination. Here we use these themes as an organizing context for reviewing the profusion of signaling mechanisms involved in the induction of LTP. ..
- Park Y, Kuroda M. Epigenetic aspects of X-chromosome dosage compensation. Science. 2001;293:1083-5 pubmed..The result in many organisms is a male-specific Y chromosome that has lost most of its original genetic content, and a difference in dosage of the X chromosome in males (XY) and females (XX). ..
- Lu B, Bishop C. Late onset of spermatogenesis and gain of fertility in POG-deficient mice indicate that POG is not necessary for the proliferation of spermatogonia. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:161-8 pubmed
- Vadlamudi R, Sahin A, Adam L, Wang R, Kumar R. Heregulin and HER2 signaling selectively activates c-Src phosphorylation at tyrosine 215. FEBS Lett. 2003;543:76-80 pubmed..These findings suggest that HER2/HRG influence metastasis of breast cancer cells through a novel signaling pathway involving phosphorylation of FAK tyrosine 861 via activation of c-Src tyrosine 215. ..
- Maddison L, Sutherland B, Barrios R, Greenberg N. Conditional deletion of Rb causes early stage prostate cancer. Cancer Res. 2004;64:6018-25 pubmed..Establishment of this early initiation model will aid efforts to thoroughly characterize early prostate disease as well as the elucidation of molecular mechanisms that cooperate with Rb loss to facilitate progression and metastasis. ..
- Zeng Z, Shi Y, Samudio I, Wang R, Ling X, Frolova O, et al. Targeting the leukemia microenvironment by CXCR4 inhibition overcomes resistance to kinase inhibitors and chemotherapy in AML. Blood. 2009;113:6215-24 pubmed publisher..Disruption of these interactions with CXCR4 inhibitors represents a novel strategy of sensitizing leukemic cells by targeting their protective bone marrow microenvironment. ..
- Lamaris G, Ben Ami R, Lewis R, Chamilos G, Samonis G, Kontoyiannis D. Increased virulence of Zygomycetes organisms following exposure to voriconazole: a study involving fly and murine models of zygomycosis. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1399-406 pubmed publisher..We tested the latter hypothesis, using 2 phylogenetically disparate zygomycosis models...