Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Galveston, Texas, United States
Locale: Galveston, Texas, United States
Publications649 found, 100 shown here
- Chen Y, Zhang X, Wang C, Li G, Gu Y, Huang L. Activation of P2X7 receptors in glial satellite cells reduces pain through downregulation of P2X3 receptors in nociceptive neurons. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:16773-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, direct blocking P2X7Rs, as proposed before, may not be the best strategy for reducing pain or lessening neuronal degeneration because it also disrupts the protective function of P2X7Rs. ..
- Agar S, Sha J, Baze W, Erova T, Foltz S, Suarez G, et al. Deletion of Braun lipoprotein gene (lpp) and curing of plasmid pPCP1 dramatically alter the virulence of Yersinia pestis CO92 in a mouse model of pneumonic plague. Microbiology. 2009;155:3247-59 pubmed publisher..pestis...
- Fang R, Ismail N, Walker D. Contribution of NK cells to the innate phase of host protection against an intracellular bacterium targeting systemic endothelium. Am J Pathol. 2012;181:185-95 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, NK cells are involved in preventing rickettsial infection-induced endothelial cell damage, possibly via perforin production. ..
- Castillo Carranza D, Sengupta U, Guerrero Muñoz M, Lasagna Reeves C, Gerson J, Singh G, et al. Passive immunization with Tau oligomer monoclonal antibody reverses tauopathy phenotypes without affecting hyperphosphorylated neurofibrillary tangles. J Neurosci. 2014;34:4260-72 pubmed publisher..These findings provide the first direct evidence in support of a critical role for tau oligomers in disease progression and validate tau oligomers as a target for the treatment of AD and other neurodegenerative tauopathies. ..
- Rialdi A, Campisi L, Zhao N, Lagda A, Pietzsch C, Ho J, et al. Topoisomerase 1 inhibition suppresses inflammatory genes and protects from death by inflammation. Science. 2016;352:aad7993 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Top1 inhibition could be used as therapy against life-threatening infections characterized by an acutely exacerbated immune response. ..
- Escaffre O, Saito T, Juelich T, Ikegami T, Smith J, Perez D, et al. Contribution of Human Lung Parenchyma and Leukocyte Influx to Oxidative Stress and Immune System-Mediated Pathology following Nipah Virus Infection. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Understanding how leukocytes interact with NiV and cause ALI in human lung xenografts is crucial for identifying therapeutic targets. ..
- Awasthi S, Singhal S, Srivastava S, Awasthi Y. Purification and characterization of glutathione S-transferase of murine ovary and testis. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1993;301:143-50 pubmed..The substrate specificities were also significantly different for the corresponding isozymes of testis and ovary. ..
- Tong L, Perez Polo J. Effect of nerve growth factor on AP-1, NF-kappa B, and Oct DNA binding activity in apoptotic PC12 cells: extrinsic and intrinsic elements. J Neurosci Res. 1996;45:1-12 pubmed..Our results suggest that AP-1 is likely to be a common component of signaling pathways associated with both the induction or suppression of apoptosis induced by intrinsic or extrinsic stimuli. ..
- Rao G. Differential regulation of p27kip1 levels and CDK activities by hypertrophic and hyperplastic agents in vascular smooth muscle cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1448:525-32 pubmed..Together, these findings suggest that Ang II-induced hypertrophy may be due to its failure to activate cellular signaling events required for G1/S transition. ..
- Talpada M, Garvey N, Sprowls R, Eugster A, Vinetz J. Prevalence of leptospiral infection in Texas cattle: implications for transmission to humans. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2003;3:141-7 pubmed..The high prevalence of leptospiral infection of cattle represents potential threats to human health and agricultural economics. ..
- Sha J, Kozlova E, Fadl A, Olano J, Houston C, Peterson J, et al. Molecular characterization of a glucose-inhibited division gene, gidA, that regulates cytotoxic enterotoxin of Aeromonas hydrophila. Infect Immun. 2004;72:1084-95 pubmed..Minimal-to-mild changes were noted in the lungs with the gidA mutants. Taken together, our data indicate for the first time that GidA regulates the most-potent virulence factor of A. hydrophila, Act. ..
- Lee H, Greeley G, Herndon D, Sinha M, Luxon B, Englander E. A rat model of smoke inhalation injury: influence of combustion smoke on gene expression in the brain. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2005;208:255-65 pubmed..Thus, the new rat model, in combination with microarray analyses, affords insight into the complex molecular pathophysiology of smoke inhalation in the brain...
- Koldzic Zivanovic N, Tu H, Juelich T, Rady P, Tyring S, Hudnall S, et al. Regulation of adrenal glucocorticoid synthesis by interleukin-10: a preponderance of IL-10 receptor in the adrenal zona fasciculata. Brain Behav Immun. 2006;20:460-8 pubmed..These data demonstrate that IL-10 could play an important role in the regulation of glucocorticoid biosynthesis and in maintenance of homeostasis and immunity during periods of stress...
- Oshiro N, King S, Pajor A. Transmembrane helices 3 and 4 are involved in substrate recognition by the Na+/dicarboxylate cotransporter, NaDC1. Biochemistry. 2006;45:2302-10 pubmed..We conclude that TM 3 and 4 contain amino acid residues that are important determinants of substrate specificity and catalytic efficiency in NaDC1. ..
- Stevenson H, Jordan J, Peerwani Z, Wang H, Walker D, Ismail N. An intradermal environment promotes a protective type-1 response against lethal systemic monocytotropic ehrlichial infection. Infect Immun. 2006;74:4856-64 pubmed
- Won S, Ikegami T, Peters C, Makino S. NSm and 78-kilodalton proteins of Rift Valley fever virus are nonessential for viral replication in cell culture. J Virol. 2006;80:8274-8 pubmed..A competition-propagation assay revealed that the parental virus was slightly more fit than the mutant virus lacking expression of both proteins. ..
- Hao Q, Maret W. Aldehydes release zinc from proteins. A pathway from oxidative stress/lipid peroxidation to cellular functions of zinc. FEBS J. 2006;273:4300-10 pubmed..The zinc-releasing activity of aldehydes establishes relationships among cellular zinc, the functions of endogenous and xenobiotic aldehydes, and redox stress, with implications for pathobiochemical and toxicologic mechanisms. ..
- Yadav U, Srivastava S, Ramana K. Aldose reductase inhibition prevents endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007;48:4634-42 pubmed..This finding suggests that AR inhibition could be a novel therapeutic target for the treatment of uveitis and associated ocular inflammation. ..
- Holbrook M, Gowen B. Animal models of highly pathogenic RNA viral infections: encephalitis viruses. Antiviral Res. 2008;78:69-78 pubmed..In this review we provide a brief summary of the current status of animal models used to study highly pathogenic encephalitic RNA viruses for the development of antiviral therapeutics and vaccines. ..
- Ye Y, Lin Y, Perez Polo J, Birnbaum Y. Oral glyburide, but not glimepiride, blocks the infarct-size limiting effects of pioglitazone. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 2008;22:429-36 pubmed publisher..It is plausible that Glyb affects other pleiotropic effects of PIO and thus may attenuate favorable effects on cardiovascular outcomes. In contrast, Glim does not attenuate the protective effect of PIO. ..
- Jonkam C, Bansal K, Traber D, Hamahata A, Maybauer M, Maybauer D, et al. Pulmonary vascular permeability changes in an ovine model of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus sepsis. Crit Care. 2009;13:R19 pubmed publisher..These results provide evidence that excessive NO production may mediate pulmonary vascular hyperpermeability in MRSA sepsis via up regulation of reactive radicals and VEGF. ..
- Rehberg S, Enkhbaatar P, Traber D. Arginine vasopressin in septic shock: supplement or substitute for norepinephrine?. Crit Care. 2009;13:178 pubmed publisher..In addition, future studies are warranted to evaluate whether a first-line therapy of AVP is superior to a last-resort administration...
- Matsui K, Gromowski G, Li L, Barrett A. Characterization of a dengue type-specific epitope on dengue 3 virus envelope protein domain III. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:2249-53 pubmed publisher..The location of the mAb 14A4-8 epitope overlaps with the DENV complex-reactive antigenic site in the DENV-3 ED3 domain. ..
- Li G, Correia M. Responses of pigeon vestibular hair cells to cholinergic agonists and antagonists. Brain Res. 2011;1373:25-38 pubmed publisher..Ion channel candidates in pigeon vestibular HCs that might underlie the modulation of the macroscopic ionic currents and V(z) by different AChR activation are discussed. ..
- Gwak Y, Hulsebosch C. GABA and central neuropathic pain following spinal cord injury. Neuropharmacology. 2011;60:799-808 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled 'Synaptic Plasticity & Interneurons'. ..
- Stephens R, Culleton R, Lamb T. The contribution of Plasmodium chabaudi to our understanding of malaria. Trends Parasitol. 2012;28:73-82 pubmed publisher..We will also discuss areas where new tools have opened up potential areas of exploration using this invaluable model system. ..
- Gao H, Sathishkumar K, Yallampalli U, Balakrishnan M, Li X, Wu G, et al. Maternal protein restriction regulates IGF2 system in placental labyrinth. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2012;4:1434-50 pubmed
- Lloyd S, Ritchie J, Rojas López M, Blumentritt C, Popov V, Greenwich J, et al. A double, long polar fimbria mutant of Escherichia coli O157:H7 expresses Curli and exhibits reduced in vivo colonization. Infect Immun. 2012;80:914-20 pubmed publisher..In addition to suggesting that Lpf can contribute to EHEC intestinal colonization, our observations indicate that the regulatory pathways governing the expression of Lpf and curli are interdependent...
- Morrill J, Laughlin R, Lokugamage N, Pugh R, Sbrana E, Weise W, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of recombinant Rift Valley fever MP-12 vaccine candidates in sheep. Vaccine. 2013;31:559-65 pubmed publisher..The large deletion in the NSm gene may also provide a negative marker that will allow serologic differentiation of naturally infected animals from vaccinated animals. ..
- Harper T, Joshi A, Elferink C. Identification of stanniocalcin 2 as a novel aryl hydrocarbon receptor target gene. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2013;344:579-88 pubmed publisher..Of interest, Stc2 gene expression is refractory to classic exogenous AhR agonists, but responds to cellular stress in an AhR-dependent mechanism consistent with a process promoting cell survival. ..
- García Angulo V, Kalita A, Torres A. Advances in the development of enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli vaccines using murine models of infection. Vaccine. 2013;31:3229-35 pubmed publisher..In this review, we summarize progress in the design and testing of EHEC vaccines and the use of different strategies for the evaluation of novel EHEC vaccines in the murine model. ..
- Williams T, Bengtson P, Steller D, Croll D, Davis R. The Healthy Heart: Lessons from Nature's Elite Athletes. Physiology (Bethesda). 2015;30:349-57 pubmed publisher..Rather, a major difference is daily activity patterns, which may underlie the comparatively healthy hearts of wild mammals. ..
- Dharajiya N, Choudhury B, Bacsi A, Boldogh I, Alam R, Sur S. Inhibiting pollen reduced nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase-induced signal by intrapulmonary administration of antioxidants blocks allergic airway inflammation. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;119:646-53 pubmed..Administration of antioxidants in the airways may constitute a novel therapeutic strategy to prevent pollen induced allergic airway inflammation. ..
- Xu X, Wang P, Zou X, Li D, Fang L, Gong K, et al. The effects of sympathetic outflow on upregulation of vanilloid receptors TRPV(1) in primary afferent neurons evoked by intradermal capsaicin. Exp Neurol. 2010;222:93-107 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study proposes a potential new mechanism of sympathetic modulation of neurogenic inflammation. ..
- Durham Lee J, Mokkapati V, Johnson K, Nesic O. Amiloride improves locomotor recovery after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2011;28:1319-26 pubmed publisher..Given that amiloride treatment after SCI caused a significant preservation of myelin levels, and improved locomotor recovery, it should be considered as a possible therapeutic intervention after SCI. ..
- Bell B, Vincent K, Bourne N, Vargas G, Motamedi M. Optical coherence tomography for assessment of microbicide safety in a small animal model. J Biomed Opt. 2013;18:046010 pubmed publisher..005). OCT can be used as a noninvasive tool to assess topical drug toxicity in a small animal model with potential to predict increased susceptibility to vaginal infection. ..
- Mo L, Hellmich H, Fong P, Wood T, Embesi J, Wills N. Comparison of amphibian and human ClC-5: similarity of functional properties and inhibition by external pH. J Membr Biol. 1999;168:253-64 pubmed..Acidic solutions inhibited both amphibian and human ClC-5 currents, opposite to the stimulatory effects of low external pH on other ClC channels, suggesting a possibly distinct regulatory mechanism for ClC-5 channels. ..
- Wang L, Christensen B, Bhatnagar A, Srivastava S. Role of calcium-dependent protease(s) in globulization of isolated rat lens cortical fiber cells. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2001;42:194-9 pubmed..To investigate the role of calcium-activated proteases in calcium-dependent disintegrative globulization of isolated rat lens cortex fiber cells...
- Deng C, Goluszko E, Tuzun E, Yang H, Christadoss P. Resistance to experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis in IL-6-deficient mice is associated with reduced germinal center formation and C3 production. J Immunol. 2002;169:1077-83 pubmed..The data provide the first direct genetic evidence for a key role of IL-6 in the autoimmune response to AChR and in EAMG pathogenesis. ..
- Molina C, Ogburn J, Adegboyega P. Infection by Dipylidium caninum in an infant. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2003;127:e157-9 pubmed..To our knowledge, this is the first case to be reported in the American pathology literature during the last 36 years (MEDLINE database, 1966-2002)...
- Levine L, Lucci J, Pazdrak B, Cheng J, Guo Y, Townsend C, et al. Bombesin stimulates nuclear factor kappa B activation and expression of proangiogenic factors in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3495-502 pubmed
- Surendran S, Rady P, Michals Matalon K, Quast M, Rassin D, Campbell G, et al. Expression of glutamate transporter, GABRA6, serine proteinase inhibitor 2 and low levels of glutamate and GABA in the brain of knock-out mouse for Canavan disease. Brain Res Bull. 2003;61:427-35 pubmed..This first report showing abnormal expression of EAAT4, GABRA6, Spi2 combined with lower levels of glutamate and GABA are likely to be associated with the pathophysiology of CD. ..
- Soto C. Diagnosing prion diseases: needs, challenges and hopes. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2004;2:809-19 pubmed..In this article, state-of-the-art prion diagnostic techniques, together with the new strategies that are being used to develop sensitive, early and non-invasive diagnoses for these diseases are reviewed. ..
- Wen J, Garg N. Oxidative modification of mitochondrial respiratory complexes in response to the stress of Trypanosoma cruzi infection. Free Radic Biol Med. 2004;37:2072-81 pubmed..cruzi infection. These data also suggest involvement of the specific susceptibility of the protein subunits, and not generalized mitochondrial oxidative damage in respiratory chain impairment of chagasic hearts. ..
- Oshiro N, Pajor A. Ala-504 is a determinant of substrate binding affinity in the mouse Na(+)/dicarboxylate cotransporter. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1758:781-8 pubmed..We conclude that multiple amino acids from TM 8, 9 and 10 contribute to the transport of adipate in NaDC1. Furthermore, Ala-504 in TM 10 is an important determinant of K(0.5) for both adipate and succinate. ..
- Torres A, Milflores Flores L, Garcia Gallegos J, Patel S, Best A, La Ragione R, et al. Environmental regulation and colonization attributes of the long polar fimbriae (LPF) of Escherichia coli O157:H7. Int J Med Microbiol. 2007;297:177-85 pubmed..coli O157:H7 to persist in the intestine of infected 6-week-old lambs. ..
- Gao J, Coggeshall R, Chung J, Wang J, Wu P. Functional motoneurons develop from human neural stem cell transplants in adult rats. Neuroreport. 2007;18:565-9 pubmed..These findings are steps towards the long-term goal of providing stem cell transplants for motoneuron loss. ..
- Chen J, Koothan T, Chen J. Synchronized gastric electrical stimulation improves vagotomy-induced impairment in gastric accommodation via the nitrergic pathway in dogs. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G310-8 pubmed publisher..Combined with previously reported findings (enhanced antral contractions and accelerated gastric emptying) and findings in this study (improved gastric accommodation and slow waves), SGES may be a viable therapy for gastroparesis. ..
- Lange M, Enkhbaatar P, Nakano Y, Traber D. Role of nitric oxide in shock: the large animal perspective. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed). 2009;14:1979-89 pubmed
- Vasilakis N, Deardorff E, Kenney J, Rossi S, Hanley K, Weaver S. Mosquitoes put the brake on arbovirus evolution: experimental evolution reveals slower mutation accumulation in mosquito than vertebrate cells. PLoS Pathog. 2009;5:e1000467 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings suggest that patterns of genetic evolution may differ between viruses replicating in mammalian and mosquito cells. ..
- Ji G, Fu Y, Adwanikar H, Neugebauer V. Non-pain-related CRF1 activation in the amygdala facilitates synaptic transmission and pain responses. Mol Pain. 2013;9:2 pubmed publisher..Here we examined the synaptic and behavioral effects of CRF in the amygdala of normal animals in the absence of tissue injury or disease...
- Ameri H, Liu H, Liu R, Ha Y, Paulucci Holthauzen A, Hu S, et al. TWEAK/Fn14 pathway is a novel mediator of retinal neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55:801-13 pubmed publisher..The goal of this study was to investigate the role of TWEAK/Fn14 pathway in retinal NV...
- van Lier C, Sha J, Kirtley M, Cao A, Tiner B, Erova T, et al. Deletion of Braun lipoprotein and plasminogen-activating protease-encoding genes attenuates Yersinia pestis in mouse models of bubonic and pneumonic plague. Infect Immun. 2014;82:2485-503 pubmed publisher..Overall, our studies provide evidence that deletion of the lpp and pla genes acts synergistically in protecting animals against pneumonic plague, and we have demonstrated an immunological basis for this protection. ..
- More A, Mishra J, Gopalakrishnan K, Blesson C, Hankins G, Sathishkumar K. Prenatal Testosterone Exposure Leads to Gonadal Hormone-Dependent Hyperinsulinemia and Gonadal Hormone-Independent Glucose Intolerance in Adult Male Rat Offspring. Biol Reprod. 2016;94:5 pubmed publisher..Hyperinsulinemia during adult life is gonad-dependent, but glucose intolerance appears to be independent of postnatal testosterone levels. ..
- Shimizu N, Wood S, Kushiro K, PERACHIO A, Makishima T. The role of GABAB receptors in the vestibular oculomotor system in mice. Behav Brain Res. 2016;302:152-9 pubmed publisher..When interpreting general animal performance under the drug, the potential contribution of altered balance system should be taken into consideration. ..
- Zhou J, Yun E, Chen W, Ding Y, Wu K, Wang B, et al. Targeting 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase 1 associated with drug-resistant renal cell carcinoma using new oridonin analogs. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2701 pubmed publisher..This offers a new rational therapeutic regimen of CYD-6-17 to drug-resistant RCC based on its novel mechanism of action. ..
- Zhao Z, Yang M, Azar S, Soong L, Weaver S, Sun J, et al. Viral Retinopathy in Experimental Models of Zika Infection. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4355â€“4365 pubmed publisher..The ocular findings in microcephalic infants may not be solely caused by ZIKV-induced impairment of neurodevelopment. ..
- Ito I, Asai A, Suzuki S, Kobayashi M, Suzuki F. M2b macrophage polarization accompanied with reduction of long noncoding RNA GAS5. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:170-175 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the reduction of GAS5 RNA influenced by the NMD pathway activation leads to the M? polarization stimulated with LPS and IC in combination. ..
- Stoddard J, Reuss L. Dependence of cell membrane conductances on bathing solution HCO3-/CO2 in Necturus gallbladder. J Membr Biol. 1988;102:163-74 pubmed..The above observations are discussed in terms of a stimulatory effect of solution [HCO3-]/PCO2 on transepithelial fluid transport, which results in adaptive changes in the conductive properties of the apical and basolateral membranes...
- Seetharamaiah G, Wagle N, Morris J, Prabhakar B. Generation and characterization of monoclonal antibodies to the human thyrotropin (TSH) receptor: antibodies can bind to discrete conformational or linear epitopes and block TSH binding. Endocrinology. 1995;136:2817-24 pubmed..The availability of these mAbs should facilitate identification of fine structures of the TSHR that are relevant for its function as well as pathogenesis of a number of thyroid disorders mediated by antibodies to TSHR. ..
- Pereon Y, Dettbarn C, Navarro J, Noireaud J, Palade P. Dihydropyridine receptor gene expression in skeletal muscle from mdx and control mice. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1997;1362:201-7 pubmed..The altered DHPR expression levels found here do not appear to be responsible for the severe deficits in contractile function of the mdx DIA. ..
- Liu D, Wen J, Liu J, Li L. The roles of free radicals in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: reactive oxygen species and elevated oxidation of protein, DNA, and membrane phospholipids. FASEB J. 1999;13:2318-28 pubmed..Liu, D., Wen, J., Liu, J., Li, L. The roles of free radicals in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: reactive oxygen species and elevated oxidation of protein, DNA, and membrane phospholipids. ..
- Peters C, Khan A. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome: the new American hemorrhagic fever. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:1224-31 pubmed..Efforts are under way to refine prevention strategies, to understand the pathogenesis of the shock, and to identify therapeutic modalities...
- Choudhury B, Wild J, Alam R, Klinman D, Boldogh I, Dharajiya N, et al. In vivo role of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase in mediating the anti-inflammatory effects of CpG oligodeoxynucleotide in murine asthma. J Immunol. 2002;169:5955-61 pubmed
- Sun R, Lawand N, Lin Q, Willis W. Role of calcitonin gene-related peptide in the sensitization of dorsal horn neurons to mechanical stimulation after intradermal injection of capsaicin. J Neurophysiol. 2004;92:320-6 pubmed..The effect could be blocked by CGRP(8-37) dose-dependently. Collectively, these results suggest that CGRP and its receptors are involved in the spinal cord central sensitization induced by intradermal injection of capsaicin. ..
- Recinos A, Carr B, Bartos D, Boldogh I, Carmical J, Belalcazar L, et al. Liver gene expression associated with diet and lesion development in atherosclerosis-prone mice: induction of components of alternative complement pathway. Physiol Genomics. 2004;19:131-42 pubmed..These findings suggest that induction of the alternative complement pathway may be an additional mechanism by which a high-fat/Western diet accelerates atherosclerosis. ..
- Pajor A. Molecular properties of the SLC13 family of dicarboxylate and sulfate transporters. Pflugers Arch. 2006;451:597-605 pubmed..The purpose of this review is to provide an update on new advances in this gene family, particularly on structure-function studies and new members of the family. ..
- Ray S, Boldogh I, Brasier A. STAT3 NH2-terminal acetylation is activated by the hepatic acute-phase response and required for IL-6 induction of angiotensinogen. Gastroenterology. 2005;129:1616-32 pubmed..The mechanisms of how STAT3 activates target genes are unknown. Here we analyzed the biochemistry of STAT3 activation by interleukin (IL)-6 in hepatocellular carcinoma HepG2 and Balb/C mice...
- Zhang X, Heggers J, Chinkes D, Wolf S, Hawkins H, Wolfe R. Topical Sulfamylon cream inhibits DNA and protein synthesis in the skin donor site wound. Surgery. 2006;139:633-9 pubmed..Topical Sulfamylon cream application inhibited DNA and protein synthesis in the wound, which would be expected to retard the healing process. ..
- Cummins S, Degnan B, Nagle G. Characterization of Aplysia Alb-1, a candidate water-borne protein pheromone released during egg laying. Peptides. 2008;29:152-61 pubmed publisher..Overall, the data suggest that Alb-1 may be processed in the albumen gland and that the Alb-1 1-56 protein released during egg laying may serve a pheromonal function in concert with attractin, enticin, temptin and seductin...
- Chen L, Li J, Silva S, Jackson L, Zhou Y, Watanabe H, et al. PKD3 is the predominant protein kinase D isoform in mouse exocrine pancreas and promotes hormone-induced amylase secretion. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:2459-71 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a novel distinction between the exocrine and endocrine cells of the pancreas and further identify PKD3 as a signaling molecule that promotes hormone-stimulated amylase secretion...
- Choudhury B, Shi X, Sarna S. Norepinephrine mediates the transcriptional effects of heterotypic chronic stress on colonic motor function. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G1238-47 pubmed publisher..2 channels in circular smooth muscle cells. These findings suggest the potential cellular mechanisms by which heterotypic chronic stress may exacerbate motility dysfunction in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. ..
- Xu G, Winston J, Chen J. Electroacupuncture attenuates visceral hyperalgesia and inhibits the enhanced excitability of colon specific sensory neurons in a rat model of irritable bowel syndrome. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2009;21:1302-e125 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that EA produced-visceral analgesia, which might be mediated in a large part by endogenous opioids pathways, is associated with reversal of the enhanced excitability of colon DRG neurons in rats with CVH. ..
- Paessler S, Weaver S. Vaccines for Venezuelan equine encephalitis. Vaccine. 2009;27 Suppl 4:D80-5 pubmed publisher..Here we review some of the older and newer approaches aimed at generating a safe and immunogenic vaccine as well as most recent data about the mechanistic of protection in animal models of infection. ..
- Szabo C, Módis K. Pathophysiological roles of peroxynitrite in circulatory shock. Shock. 2010;34 Suppl 1:4-14 pubmed publisher..Neutralization of peroxynitrite with potent peroxynitrite decomposition catalysts provides cytoprotective and beneficial effects in rodent and large-animal models of circulatory shock. ..
- Li Q, Sarna S. Chronic stress targets posttranscriptional mechanisms to rapidly upregulate ?1C-subunit of Cav1.2b calcium channels in colonic smooth muscle cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;300:G154-63 pubmed publisher..2b channels by concurrently suppressing its degradation and enhancing translation of existing transcripts to maintain homeostasis. ..
- Sallam H, Chen J. Colon electrical stimulation: potential use for treatment of obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011;19:1761-7 pubmed publisher..Further studies are warranted to investigate the therapeutic potential of CES for obesity. ..
- Xue X, Feng T, Yao S, Wolf K, Liu C, Liu X, et al. Microbiota downregulates dendritic cell expression of miR-10a, which targets IL-12/IL-23p40. J Immunol. 2011;187:5879-86 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data demonstrated that microbiota negatively regulates host miR-10a expression, which may contribute to the maintenance of intestinal homeostasis by targeting IL-12/IL-23p40 expression. ..
- Dey S, Maiti A, Hegde M, Hegde P, Boldogh I, Sarkar P, et al. Increased risk of lung cancer associated with a functionally impaired polymorphic variant of the human DNA glycosylase NEIL2. DNA Repair (Amst). 2012;11:570-8 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that the decreased DNA repair capacity of the R257L variant can induce mutations that lead to lung cancer development. ..
- Vasilakis N, Forrester N, Palacios G, Nasar F, Savji N, Rossi S, et al. Negevirus: a proposed new taxon of insect-specific viruses with wide geographic distribution. J Virol. 2013;87:2475-88 pubmed publisher..A discussion follows on their possible biological significance and effect on mosquito vector competence for arboviruses. ..
- Brooks N, Marshall A, Qa aty N, Hiyama Y, Boehning D, Jeschke M. XBP-1s is linked to suppressed gluconeogenesis in the Ebb phase of burn injury. Mol Med. 2013;19:72-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that upregulation of the ER stress response after burn injury is linked to attenuated gluconeogenesis and sustained glucose tolerance in the postburn ebb phase. ..
- Sha J, Rosenzweig J, Kozlova E, Wang S, Erova T, Kirtley M, et al. Evaluation of the roles played by Hcp and VgrG type 6 secretion system effectors in Aeromonas hydrophila SSU pathogenesis. Microbiology. 2013;159:1120-35 pubmed publisher..Taking these results together, we have further established the roles played by the two known T6SS effectors of A. hydrophila by defining their contributions to T6SS function and virulence in both in vitro and in vivo models of infection...
- Roy C, Adams A, Wang E, Plante K, Gorchakov R, Seymour R, et al. Chikungunya vaccine candidate is highly attenuated and protects nonhuman primates against telemetrically monitored disease following a single dose. J Infect Dis. 2014;209:1891-9 pubmed publisher..These CHIKV/IRES vaccine candidates appear to be safe and efficacious, supporting their strong potential as human vaccines to protect against CHIKV infection and reduce transmission and further spread. ..
- Vinish M, Cui W, Stafford E, Bae L, Hawkins H, Cox R, et al. Dendritic cells modulate burn wound healing by enhancing early proliferation. Wound Repair Regen. 2016;24:6-13 pubmed publisher..Therefore, pharmacological enhancement of DCs may provide a therapeutic intervention to facilitate healing of burn wounds. ..
- Ray S, Lee C, Hou T, Bhakat K, Brasier A. Regulation of signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 enhanceosome formation by apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1 in hepatic acute phase response. Mol Endocrinol. 2010;24:391-401 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study indicates that IL-6 induces a novel STAT3-APE1 complex, whose interaction is required for stable chromatin association in the IL-6-induced hepatic acute phase response. ..
- Ambegaokar S, Jackson G. Functional genomic screen and network analysis reveal novel modifiers of tauopathy dissociated from tau phosphorylation. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:4947-77 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest therapeutic targets other than mitigation of tau phosphorylation. ..
- Singh I, Chopra A, Coppenhaver D, Ananatharamaiah G, Baron S. Lipoproteins account for part of the broad non-specific antiviral activity of human serum. Antiviral Res. 1999;42:211-8 pubmed..Overall, HDL may be one of the broadly antiviral defences in the bloodstream. ..