Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on aged in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Publications1423 found, 100 shown here
- Caraway N, Khanna A, Fernandez R, Payne L, Bassett R, Zhang H, et al. Fluorescence in situ hybridization for detecting urothelial carcinoma: a clinicopathologic study. Cancer Cytopathol. 2010;118:259-68 pubmed publisher..UroVysion FISH appeared to have good sensitivity and specificity for detecting UC in urinary specimens. It is important to correlate the FISH results with the cytologic findings. ..
- Castriotta R, Eldadah B, Foster W, Halter J, Hazzard W, Kiley J, et al. Workshop on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in older adults. Chest. 2010;138:693-703 pubmed publisher..Efforts to answer the questions identified will require the integration of geriatrics, gerontology, and pulmonary research, but these efforts have great potential to improve care for patients with IPF. ..
- Barker C, Murray S, Teirstein P, Kandzari D, Topol E, Price M. Pilot study of the antiplatelet effect of increased clopidogrel maintenance dosing and its relationship to CYP2C19 genotype in patients with high on-treatment reactivity. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2010;3:1001-7 pubmed publisher..Carriage of an LoF CYP2C19 polymorphism does not seem to have a major influence on dose effect. The observed lack of effect in patients with 2 copies of a CYP2C19 LoF allele must be confirmed by larger studies. ..
- Deswal A, Richardson P, Bozkurt B, Mann D. Results of the Randomized Aldosterone Antagonism in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction trial (RAAM-PEF). J Card Fail. 2011;17:634-42 pubmed publisher..Whether these favorable effects will translate into morbidity and mortality benefit in HFpEF remains to be determined. ..
- Schover L, Canada A, Yuan Y, Sui D, Neese L, Jenkins R, et al. A randomized trial of internet-based versus traditional sexual counseling for couples after localized prostate cancer treatment. Cancer. 2012;118:500-9 pubmed publisher..An internet-based sexual counseling program for couples was as effective as a brief, traditional sex therapy format in producing enduring improvements in sexual outcomes after prostate cancer. ..
- Petersen L, Simpson K, Pietz K, Urech T, Hysong S, Profit J, et al. Effects of individual physician-level and practice-level financial incentives on hypertension care: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2013;310:1042-50 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed on the factors that contributed to these findings. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00302718. ..
- Chen Y, Mahal B, Muralidhar V, Nezolosky M, Beard C, Den R, et al. Association Between Treatment at a High-Volume Facility and Improved Survival forÂ Radiation-Treated Men With High-Risk Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;94:683-90 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that treatment at centers with higher prostate cancer radiation case volume is associated with improved OS for radiation-treated men with high-risk prostate cancer. ..
- Schadendorf D, Long G, Stroiakovski D, Karaszewska B, Hauschild A, Levchenko E, et al. Three-year pooled analysis of factors associated with clinical outcomes across dabrafenib and trametinib combination therapy phase 3 randomised trials. Eur J Cancer. 2017;82:45-55 pubmed publisher..Although the best predictive model evolved with longer follow-up, factors predicting clinical outcomes with the combination remained consistent with previous analyses. ..
- Callahan C, Schwartz K, Ruterbusch J, Shuch B, Graubard B, Lan Q, et al. Leukocyte telomere length and renal cell carcinoma survival in two studies. Br J Cancer. 2017;117:752-755 pubmed publisher..0-5.4; P=0.04). Among USKC cases, the association was strongest for stage-I RCC (HR: 5.5, 95% CI: 1.6-19.0; P=0.006). Our findings suggest that shorter LTL is an independent marker of poor RCC prognosis, particularly for stage-I disease. ..
- Verschraegen C, Sittisomwong T, Kudelka A, Guedes E, Steger M, Nelson Taylor T, et al. Docetaxel for patients with paclitaxel-resistant Müllerian carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2000;18:2733-9 pubmed
- Safdar A, Malathum K, Rodriguez S, Husni R, Rolston K. Strongyloidiasis in patients at a comprehensive cancer center in the United States. Cancer. 2004;100:1531-6 pubmed..Definite pulmonary accelerated autoinfections were observed only in HSCT recipients. Therefore, pre-HSCT S. stercoralis screening in individuals from endemic regions of the United States warrants further study. ..
- Granville L, Ostrowski M, Truong L, Shen S. Pathologic quiz case: unusual morphology in an otherwise classic renal cell carcinoma. Tumor-to-tumor metastasis: pulmonary adenocarcinoma metastatic to clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129:e49-50 pubmed
- Ghori F, Polder K, Pinter Brown L, Hoff A, Gagel R, Sherman S, et al. Thyrotoxicosis after denileukin diftitox therapy in patients with mycosis fungoides. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:2205-8 pubmed..Monitoring thyroid function before and during treatment with denileukin diftitox is recommended. Symptomatic thyrotoxicosis may be missed due to other acute reactions to the drug, and subsequent hypothyroidism may develop. ..
- Blackmon S, Correa A, Wynn B, Hofstetter W, Martin L, Mehran R, et al. Propensity-matched analysis of three techniques for intrathoracic esophagogastric anastomosis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;83:1805-13; discussion 1813 pubmed..Postoperative dysphagia and need for stricture dilation may be decreased using a stapled compared with a traditional hand-sewn anastomosis. ..
- Hittelman W, Liu D, Kurie J, Lotan R, Lee J, Khuri F, et al. Proliferative changes in the bronchial epithelium of former smokers treated with retinoids. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007;99:1603-12 pubmed..In per-site analyses, statistically significant associations were obtained with both treatments. ..
- Roldan C. Necrotizing fasciitis. J Emerg Med. 2008;34:457-8 pubmed
- de Paiva C, Chotikavanich S, Pangelinan S, Pitcher J, Fang B, Zheng X, et al. IL-17 disrupts corneal barrier following desiccating stress. Mucosal Immunol. 2009;2:243-53 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that IL-17 has a role in corneal epithelial barrier disruption in DE...
- Willerson J, Cable G, Yeh E. PROCLAIM: pilot study to examine the effects of clopidogrel on inflammatory markers in patients with metabolic syndrome receiving low-dose aspirin. Tex Heart Inst J. 2009;36:530-9 pubmed..There were no deaths or serious adverse events in either treatment arm. Data from this study suggest that clopidogrel can decrease the expression of the CD40-ligand biomarker. ..
- Benz M, Packo K, Gonzalez V, Pakola S, Bezner D, Haller J, et al. A placebo-controlled trial of microplasmin intravitreous injection to facilitate posterior vitreous detachment before vitrectomy. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:791-7 pubmed publisher..More definitive evaluation in phase 3 clinical trials therefore is warranted. Proprietary or commercial disclosure may be found after the references. ..
- Dahlstrom K, Li G, Tortolero Luna G, Wei Q, Sturgis E. Differences in history of sexual behavior between patients with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma and patients with squamous cell carcinoma at other head and neck sites. Head Neck. 2011;33:847-55 pubmed publisher..6; 95% CI, 2.2-33.4). The findings of this study suggest that some risk factors are site-specific and provide further evidence that certain sexual behaviors increase the risk of HPV-associated SCCOP. ..
- Bell D, Gidley P, Levine N, Fuller G. Endolymphatic sac tumor (aggressive papillary tumor of middle ear and temporal bone): sine qua non radiology-pathology and the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center experience. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2011;15:117-23 pubmed publisher..Precise preoperative anatomic localization and computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging feature interpretation play a paramount role in achieving an accurate final diagnosis...
- Kao C, Hsu J, Bandi V, Hanania N, Kheradmand F, Jahoor F. Glucose and pyruvate metabolism in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2012;112:42-7 pubmed publisher..However, no difference in glucose conversion to lactate via pyruvate reduction is observed. ..
- Wray C, Phatak U, Robinson E, Wiatek R, Rieber A, Gonzalez A, et al. The effect of age on race-related breast cancer survival disparities. Ann Surg Oncol. 2013;20:2541-7 pubmed publisher..The effect of age and treatment on breast cancer survival differs across races. Additional research is needed to accurately determine the reasons for worsened survival. ..
- Hasbun R, Bijlsma M, Brouwer M, Khoury N, Hadi C, van der Ende A, et al. Risk score for identifying adults with CSF pleocytosis and negative CSF Gram stain at low risk for an urgent treatable cause. J Infect. 2013;67:102-10 pubmed publisher..0%) in the validation cohort and 100.0% (95% CI 97.8-100.0%) in bacterial meningitis patients. The risk score can be used to identify adults with CSF pleocytosis and a negative CSF Gram stain at low risk for an urgent treatable cause. ..
- King A, Ma M, Chisholm G, Toale K. Once daily versus twice daily enoxaparin for acute pulmonary embolism in cancer patients. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2016;22:265-70 pubmed publisher..6%). Cancer patients receiving once daily enoxaparin for the treatment of acute PE may be at increased risk of recurrent PE and clinically overt bleeding. Larger randomized trials are needed to confirm the results of this study. ..
- Chiang S, Levin H, Wilde E, Haneef Z. White matter structural connectivity changes correlate with epilepsy duration in temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsy Res. 2016;120:37-46 pubmed publisher..This study illustrates the potential of structural diffusion tensor imaging in elucidating pathophysiology, enhancing diagnosis and assisting prognostication. ..
- Zafereo M, Xu L, Dahlstrom K, Viamonte C, El Naggar A, Wei Q, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity often overexpresses p16 but is rarely driven by human papillomavirus. Oral Oncol. 2016;56:47-53 pubmed publisher..Very few patients with SCCOC have HPV-driven tumors. SCCOC that overexpresses p16 may be a unique subset deserving of further study. ..
- Pratt J, Ohara J, Woo S, Bedell H. Fixation locus in patients with bilateral central scotomas for targets that perceptually fill in. Optom Vis Sci. 2014;91:312-21 pubmed publisher..In patients with central field loss, letter targets generate more consistent fixation behavior than filled-in targets and should be used for eccentric viewing training and perimetry. ..
- Pantano N, Paiva B, Hui D, Paiva C. Validation of the Modified Glasgow Prognostic Score in Advanced Cancer Patients Receiving Palliative Care. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016;51:270-7 pubmed publisher..When starting PC, an mGPS definition may have clinical utility implications, by identifying three groups of patients with advanced cancer patients with distinct survival outcomes. ..
- Mazouni C, Hall A, Broglio K, Fritsche H, Andre F, Esteva F, et al. Kinetics of serum HER-2/neu changes in patients with HER-2-positive primary breast cancer after initiation of primary chemotherapy. Cancer. 2007;109:496-501 pubmed..Serum HER-2 ECD levels may serve to monitor neoadjuvant therapy in HER-2-positive primary breast cancer. ..
- Williams M, Roberts D, Blumenschein G, Temam S, Kies M, Rosenthal D, et al. Differential expression of hormonal and growth factor receptors in salivary duct carcinomas: biologic significance and potential role in therapeutic stratification of patients. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:1645-52 pubmed
- Kim C, Dancer J, Coffey D, Zhai Q, Reardon M, Ayala A, et al. Clinicopathologic study of 24 patients with primary cardiac sarcomas: a 10-year single institution experience. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:933-8 pubmed publisher..The survival of cardiac sarcomas is poor...
- Davila J, Chiao E, Hasche J, Petersen N, McGlynn K, Shaib Y. Utilization and determinants of adjuvant therapy among older patients who receive curative surgery for pancreatic cancer. Pancreas. 2009;38:e18-25 pubmed publisher..However, receipt of adjuvant therapy varied by period and geography as well as by certain patient and hospital factors. ..
- Haidari M, Hajilooi M, Rafiei A, Rezaii A, Hoseinipanah S. E-selectin genetic variation as a susceptibility factor for ischemic stroke. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2009;28:26-32 pubmed publisher..89, 95% CI: 2.84-12.21, p = 0.0001). Our study demonstrates that the E-selectin S128R and L554F polymorphisms are associated with susceptibility to ischemic stroke. ..
- Viswanathan A, Burton A, Rekito A, McCutcheon I. Commissural myelotomy in the treatment of intractable visceral pain: technique and outcomes. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2010;88:374-82 pubmed publisher..We found that for the properly selected patient, open midline commissural myelotomy can provide effective pain relief with acceptable postoperative morbidity. ..
- Cleeland C, Wang X, Shi Q, Mendoza T, Wright S, Berry M, et al. Automated symptom alerts reduce postoperative symptom severity after cancer surgery: a randomized controlled clinical trial. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29:994-1000 pubmed publisher..Methods of automated symptom monitoring and triage may improve symptom control after major cancer surgery. These results should be confirmed in a larger study. ..
- Ather S, Chan W, Chillar A, Aguilar D, Pritchett A, Ramasubbu K, et al. Association of systolic blood pressure with mortality in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a complex relationship. Am Heart J. 2011;161:567-73 pubmed publisher..Recognition of this pattern of association of blood pressure profile may help clinicians in providing better care for their patients and help improve existing prediction models. ..
- Xu Monette Z, Wu L, Visco C, Tai Y, Tzankov A, Liu W, et al. Mutational profile and prognostic significance of TP53 in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma patients treated with R-CHOP: report from an International DLBCL Rituximab-CHOP Consortium Program Study. Blood. 2012;120:3986-96 pubmed publisher..We conclude that assessment of TP53 mutation status is important for stratifying R-CHOP-treated patients into distinct prognostic subsets and has significant value in the design of future therapeutic strategies. ..
- Lotan Y, Karam J, Shariat S, Gupta A, Roupret M, Bensalah K, et al. Renal-cell carcinoma risk estimates based on participants in the prostate, lung, colorectal, and ovarian cancer screening trial and national lung screening trial. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:167.e9-16 pubmed publisher..Age over 60 years, male sex, smoking intensity, and obesity affect the risk of RCC. Identification of a high-risk population may allow a pilot study of rational screening for RCC. ..
- Wang M, Zhang L, Han X, Yang J, Qian J, Hong S, et al. A severe combined immunodeficient-hu in vivo mouse model of human primary mantle cell lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2154-60 pubmed publisher..This is the first human primary MCL animal model that should be useful for the biological and therapeutic research on MCL. ..
- Tsao A, Hui E, Juergens R, Marur S, Huat T, Cher G, et al. Phase II study of TAS-106 in patients with platinum-failure recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer. Cancer Med. 2013;2:351-9 pubmed publisher..There was no anti-tumor efficacy seen with TAS-106 monotherapy. Future studies will focus on TAS-106 combinations and mechanisms of drug resistance. ..
- Kantarjian H, Lioure B, Kim S, Atallah E, Leguay T, Kelly K, et al. A Phase II Study of Coltuximab Ravtansine (SAR3419) Monotherapy in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016;16:139-45 pubmed publisher..9 months (range, 1-5.6 months). Because of these results, the study was prematurely discontinued. Coltuximab ravtansine was well tolerated but was associated with a low clinical response rate in patients with relapsed or refractory ALL. ..
- Barcenas C, Raghavendra A, Sinha A, Syed M, Hsu L, Patangan M, et al. Outcomes in patients with early-stage breast cancer who underwent a 21-gene expression assay. Cancer. 2017;123:2422-2431 pubmed publisher..Cancer 2017;123:2422-31. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Ondo W. Gait and balance disorders. Med Clin North Am. 2003;87:793-801, viii pubmed..Because treatment is so dependent on the underlying etiology, this article mostly concerns diagnosis and provides descriptive case studies...
- Aisenberg G, Rolston K, Safdar A. Bacteremia caused by Achromobacter and Alcaligenes species in 46 patients with cancer (1989-2003). Cancer. 2004;101:2134-40 pubmed..The authors sought to determine the incidence and characteristics of bloodstream infections caused by these organisms in patients with underlying malignancies...
- Leibovici D, Lee A, Cheung R, Spiess P, Kuban D, Rosser C, et al. Symptomatic local recurrence of prostate carcinoma after radiation therapy. Cancer. 2005;103:2060-6 pubmed..Most reports on the results of RT for localized prostate carcinoma (PC) do not address this endpoint. The objective of this study was to determine the incidence of SLRPC and to identify the risk factors for this endpoint...
- Gu J, Wu X, Dong Q, Romeo M, Lin X, Gutkind J, et al. A nonsynonymous single-nucleotide polymorphism in the PDZ-Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor (Ser1416Gly) modulates the risk of lung cancer in Mexican Americans. Cancer. 2006;106:2716-24 pubmed..The results suggest that there are interactions between RGS2, RGS6, and PDZ-RhoGEF and validate this family of proteins as key regulators of tumorigenesis. ..
- O Brien S, Moore J, Boyd T, Larratt L, Skotnicki A, Koziner B, et al. Randomized phase III trial of fludarabine plus cyclophosphamide with or without oblimersen sodium (Bcl-2 antisense) in patients with relapsed or refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol. 2007;25:1114-20 pubmed
- Hunjan S, Starkschall G, Prado K, Dong L, Balter P. Lack of correlation between external fiducial positions and internal tumor positions during breath-hold CT. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;76:1586-91 pubmed publisher..18). External surrogates for tumor position are not an accurate metric of BH accuracy for lung cancer patients. This implies that care should be taken when using such an approach because an incorrect internal margin could be generated. ..
- Ramos E, Reitzel R, Jiang Y, Hachem R, Chaftari A, Chemaly R, et al. Clinical effectiveness and risk of emerging resistance associated with prolonged use of antibiotic-impregnated catheters: more than 0.5 million catheter days and 7 years of clinical experience. Crit Care Med. 2011;39:245-51 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, long-term use of these devices is not associated with increased resistance of staphylococcal isolates to tetracycline and rifampin in the intensive care unit or throughout the hospital. ..
- Cheema F, Abraham N, Berger D, Albo D, Taffet G, Naik A. Novel approaches to perioperative assessment and intervention may improve long-term outcomes after colorectal cancer resection in older adults. Ann Surg. 2011;253:867-74 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to determine relevant aspects of geriatric assessments, identify effective intervention strategies, and demonstrate their validity in improving outcomes for at-risk older adults. ..
- Hosing C, Smith V, Rhodes B, Walters K, THOMPSON R, Qazilbash M, et al. Assessing the charges associated with hematopoietic stem cell mobilization and remobilization in patients with lymphoma and multiple myeloma undergoing autologous hematopoietic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Transfusion. 2011;51:1300-13 pubmed publisher..Optimization of HSC mobilization regimens to reduce failure rates would not only benefit patients but also reduce the overall medical costs. ..
- Yin J, Lu K, Lin J, Wu L, Hildebrandt M, Chang D, et al. Genetic variants in TGF-Î² pathway are associated with ovarian cancer risk. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e25559 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that genetic variants in the TGF-Î² signaling pathway are associated with ovarian cancer risk and may facilitate the identification of high-risk subgroups in the general population. ..
- Overman M, Hu C, Kopetz S, Abbruzzese J, Wolff R, Chang G. A population-based comparison of adenocarcinoma of the large and small intestine: insights into a rare disease. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19:1439-45 pubmed publisher..Because of its rarity, adenocarcinoma of the small intestine is frequently compared to adenocarcinoma of the colon, although the validity of this comparison is not known...
- Virani S, Pompeii L, Lincoln A, Dunn R, Tucker A, Nambi V, et al. Association between traditional cholesterol parameters, lipoprotein particle concentration, novel biomarkers and carotid plaques in retired National Football League players. Atherosclerosis. 2012;222:551-6 pubmed publisher..Carotid artery plaques were common in retired NFL players and were strongly associated with LDL-P, especially among those with metabolic syndrome. hs-CRP was not associated with carotid plaques in this cohort. ..
- Cantu M, Lupo P, Bilgi M, Hicks M, Allen C, McClain K. Optimal therapy for adults with Langerhans cell histiocytosis bone lesions. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e43257 pubmed publisher..ARA-C is an effective and minimally toxic treatment for LCH bone lesions in adults. In contrast, vinblastine/prednisone results in poor overall responses and excessive toxicity. ..
- Hu C, Xing Y, Cormier J, Chang G. Assessing the utility of cancer-registry-processed cause of death in calculating cancer-specific survival. Cancer. 2013;119:1900-7 pubmed publisher..The current results indicated that the COD assigned by cancer registries has acceptable validity, and CSS is considered an acceptable surrogate for RS in most circumstances. ..
- Liebelt B, Barber S, Desai V, Harper R, Zhang J, Parrish R, et al. Superior Petrosal Vein Sacrifice During Microvascular Decompression: Perioperative Complication Rates and Comparison with Venous Preservation. World Neurosurg. 2017;104:788-794 pubmed publisher..SPV sacrifice should be limited to cases where it is deemed absolutely necessary for successful cranial nerve decompression. ..
- Butler C, Campbell K. Minimally invasive component separation with inlay bioprosthetic mesh (MICSIB) for complex abdominal wall reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;128:698-709 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic, IV. ..
- Cohen L, Cole S, Sood A, Prinsloo S, Kirschbaum C, Arevalo J, et al. Depressive symptoms and cortisol rhythmicity predict survival in patients with renal cell carcinoma: role of inflammatory signaling. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e42324 pubmed publisher..These findings identify depressive symptoms as a key predictor of survival in renal cell carcinoma patients with potential links to dysregulation of cortisol and inflammatory biology. ..
- Shirvani S, Jiang J, Gomez D, Chang J, Buchholz T, Smith B. Intensity modulated radiotherapy for stage III non-small cell lung cancer in the United States: predictors of use and association with toxicities. Lung Cancer. 2013;82:252-9 pubmed publisher..Patient and tumor factors were not significant predictors of IMRT use. Esophagus and lung toxicity rates were similar between IMRT and 3DCRT. ..
- Serwe K, Hersch G, Pickens N, Pancheri K. Caregiver Perceptions of a Telehealth Wellness Program. Am J Occup Ther. 2017;71:7104350010p1-7104350010p5 pubmed publisher..Even with challenges, participants reported an overall positive experience. Telehealth holds promise for increasing access to health promotion programs. ..
- Storey M, Garden A, Morrison W, Eicher S, Schechter N, Ang K. Postoperative radiotherapy for malignant tumors of the submandibular gland. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2001;51:952-8 pubmed
- Bevan Thomas R, Slaton J, Pettaway C. Contemporary morbidity from lymphadenectomy for penile squamous cell carcinoma: the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center Experience. J Urol. 2002;167:1638-42 pubmed
- Bharti A, Shishodia S, Reuben J, Weber D, Alexanian R, Raj Vadhan S, et al. Nuclear factor-kappaB and STAT3 are constitutively active in CD138+ cells derived from multiple myeloma patients, and suppression of these transcription factors leads to apoptosis. Blood. 2004;103:3175-84 pubmed..Overall, our results indicate that fresh cells from MM patients express constitutively active NF-kappaB and STAT3, and suppression of these transcription factors inhibits the survival of the cells. ..
- Huo L, Lai S, Gladish G, Czerniak B, Moran C. Pulmonary artery angiosarcoma: a clinicopathologic and radiological correlation. Ann Diagn Pathol. 2005;9:209-14 pubmed..The tumor cells were positive for CD31 and vimentin and negative for pan-cytokeratin, CD34, and S100. Two months after surgery, the patient was alive and well...
- Esmaeli B, Amin S, Valero V, Adinin R, Arbuckle R, Banay R, et al. Prospective study of incidence and severity of epiphora and canalicular stenosis in patients with metastatic breast cancer receiving docetaxel. J Clin Oncol. 2006;24:3619-22 pubmed..Moderate or severe canalicular stenosis was seen in about one-third of patients in the weekly group and in none of the patients in the every-3-weeks group. ..
- Wang J, Walsh G, Liu D, Lee J, Mao L. Expression of Delta DNMT3B variants and its association with promoter methylation of p16 and RASSF1A in primary non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res. 2006;66:8361-6 pubmed..Expression of DeltaDNMT3B variants is common in NSCLC and may play an important role in the development of promoter methylation. ..
- Borthakur G, O Brien S, Wierda W, Thomas D, Cortes J, Giles F, et al. Immune anaemias in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia treated with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and rituximab--incidence and predictors. Br J Haematol. 2007;136:800-5 pubmed..Thus, the incidence of IA among CLL patients treated with FCR was comparable with historical rates. The diagnosis of AIHA can be considered even if the DAT is negative. Pre-existing AIHA need not preclude front-line FCR therapy. ..
- Delpassand E, Sims Mourtada J, Saso H, Azhdarinia A, Ashoori F, Torabi F, et al. Safety and efficacy of radionuclide therapy with high-activity In-111 pentetreotide in patients with progressive neuroendocrine tumors. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2008;23:292-300 pubmed publisher..Upon interim analysis, median survival was approximately 13 months (range 1.2-24.5). These results show that high-activity 111In-pentetreotide therapy is effective in patients with progressive disseminated neuroendocrine tumors. ..
- Tsimberidou A, Kantarjian H, Wen S, Keating M, O Brien S, Brandt M, et al. Myeloid sarcoma is associated with superior event-free survival and overall survival compared with acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer. 2008;113:1370-8 pubmed publisher..OS analyses yielded similar results. Anti-AML therapy was highly effective in patients with nonleukemic MS. The results from this study emphasize the need to treat patients who have nonleukemic MS with AML-type therapy. ..
- Kishi Y, Kopetz S, Chun Y, Palavecino M, Abdalla E, Vauthey J. Blood neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio predicts survival in patients with colorectal liver metastases treated with systemic chemotherapy. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009;16:614-22 pubmed publisher..021). NLR independently predicts survival in patients with CLM treated with chemotherapy followed by resection or chemotherapy only. When chemotherapy normalizes high NLR, improved survival is expected. ..
- Gonzalez Angulo A, Ferrer Lozano J, Stemke Hale K, Sahin A, Liu S, Barrera J, et al. PI3K pathway mutations and PTEN levels in primary and metastatic breast cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2011;10:1093-101 pubmed publisher..There is a high level of discordance in PTEN level, PIK3CA mutations, and receptor status between primary tumors and metastases that may influence patient selection and response to PI3K-targeted therapies. ..
- Jung S, Sugimoto M, Shiota S, Graham D, Yamaoka Y. The intact dupA cluster is a more reliable Helicobacter pylori virulence marker than dupA alone. Infect Immun. 2012;80:381-7 pubmed publisher..01). In conclusion, although the causal relationship between the dupA cluster and duodenal ulcer development is not proved, the presence of a complete dupA cluster but not dupA alone, is associated with duodenal ulcer development. ..
- Gonzalez Angulo A, Liu S, Chen H, Chavez MacGregor M, Sahin A, Hortobagyi G, et al. Functional proteomics characterization of residual breast cancer after neoadjuvant systemic chemotherapy. Ann Oncol. 2013;24:909-16 pubmed publisher..Similar results were found in validation sets. We found models that independently predicted RFS in all residual breast cancer and in residual HR-positive disease that may represent potential targets of therapy in this resistant disease. ..
- Rhondali W, Yennurajalingam S, Chisholm G, Ferrer J, Kim S, Kang J, et al. Predictors of response to palliative care intervention for chronic nausea in advanced cancer outpatients. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21:2427-35 pubmed publisher..More research is necessary to better understand the association between nausea severity and other symptoms and to predict which interventions will yield the best outcomes depending on the mix and severity of symptoms. ..
- Basha B, Smith J, Rogers H, Cook J. What Is the Clinical Utility of Repeat SNP Array Testing in the Follow-up of Myeloid Neoplasms?: A Retrospective Analysis of 44 Patients With Serial SNP Arrays. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147:278-284 pubmed publisher..Follow-up SNP array testing is not required in routine clinical use in most cases. ..
- Saxena V, Khungar V, Verna E, Levitsky J, Brown R, Hassan M, et al. Safety and efficacy of current direct-acting antiviral regimens in kidney and liver transplant recipients with hepatitis C: Results from the HCV-TARGET study. Hepatology. 2017;66:1090-1101 pubmed publisher..2 mg/dL, absence of cirrhosis, and hepatic decompensation predicted SVR at 12 weeks. Six episodes of acute rejection (n = 2 KT, 4 LT) occurred, during hepatitis C virus treatment in 4 and after cessation of treatment in 2...
- Cherla D, Moses M, Mueck K, Hannon C, Ko T, Kao L, et al. External Validation of the HERNIAscore: An Observational Study. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:428-434 pubmed publisher..Future research should assess methods to prevent incisional hernias in moderate-to-high risk patients. ..
- Lai D, Lee L, Lee E. Effects of handicap on life expectancy: the case of China. Public Health. 2000;114:330-5 pubmed..The expected years of life with handicap for the Chinese population provide useful information for setting public health policies, despite the difficulty in making comparisons with the similar data in other countries...
- Smith V, Edwards R, Jorgensen J, Goldfarb R, Kadmon D, Cagle P, et al. Unilocular retroperitoneal cyst of mesothelial origin presenting as a renal mass. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2000;124:766-9 pubmed..3, Leu-M1, and BerEP4. The first case was positive for calretinin, whereas the second was negative. These findings support the mesothelial nature of the cysts...
- Giles F, Stopeck A, Silverman L, Lancet J, Cooper M, Hannah A, et al. SU5416, a small molecule tyrosine kinase receptor inhibitor, has biologic activity in patients with refractory acute myeloid leukemia or myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood. 2003;102:795-801 pubmed..Studies of other RTKI and/or other antiangiogenic approaches, with correlative studies to examine biologic effects, may be warranted in patients with AML/MDS. ..
- Pilling D, Buckley C, Salmon M, Gomer R. Inhibition of fibrocyte differentiation by serum amyloid P. J Immunol. 2003;171:5537-46 pubmed..These results suggest that low levels of SAP may thus augment pathological processes leading to fibrosis. These data also suggest mechanisms to inhibit fibrosis in chronic inflammatory conditions, or conversely to promote wound healing. ..
- Shapiro A, Vakar F, Kamat A. Diffuse granulomatous mesenteric disease caused by intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin instillation masquerading as peritoneal carcinomatosis. Urol Oncol. 2005;23:352-3 pubmed..This patient was thought to have peritoneal carcinomatosis. One must be cognizant of the possibility when evaluating patients with similar findings and images after bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy. ..
- Ng C, Palmer C. Analysis of diagnostic confidence and diagnostic accuracy: a unified framework. Br J Radiol. 2007;80:152-60 pubmed..Failure to take adequate account of incorrect diagnoses is potentially misleading. We suggest that a comprehensive analysis of diagnostic confidence requires the incorporation of diagnostic accuracy. ..
- King D, Snipes S, Herrera A, Jones L. Health and healthcare perspectives of African American residents of an unincorporated community: a qualitative assessment. Health Place. 2009;15:420-428 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest a need to begin to examine health outcomes for minority residents in other unincorporated communities. ..
- Davies M, Saad W, Bismuth J, Naoum J, Peden E, Lumsden A. Endovascular revascularization of renal artery stenosis in the solitary functioning kidney. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:953-60 pubmed publisher..Clinical benefit is dictated by preoperative GFR, renal size, and the occurrence of acute functional injury after the procedure. ..