Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Houston, Texas, United States
Locale: Houston, Texas, United States
Publications457 found, 100 shown here
- Tziortzis D, Mahoney J, Kalechstein A, Newton T, De La Garza R. The relationship between impulsivity and craving in cocaine- and methamphetamine-dependent volunteers. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2011;98:196-202 pubmed publisher..Taken together, this study shows a marginal relationship between impulsivity and craving, which may further the understanding of motivational factors contributing to ongoing drug use and addiction in psychostimulant users. ..
- Fujimoto K, Valente T. Decomposing the components of friendship and friends' influence on adolescent drinking and smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2012;51:136-43 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that considering different features of friendship relationships is important in evaluating friends' influence on adolescent substance use. Related policy implications are discussed. ..
- Madden K, Park M, Liu D, Bruera E. The frequency of QTc prolongation among pediatric and young adult patients receiving methadone for cancer pain. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..A prospective study is justified to better understand what role methadone plays as one of many risk factors for prolongation of the QTc interval in children and young adults. ..
- Geller J, Perentesis J, Liu X, Minard C, Kudgus R, Reid J, et al. A phase 1 study of the c-Met inhibitor, tivantinib (ARQ197) in children with relapsed or refractory solid tumors: A Children's Oncology Group study phase 1 and pilot consortium trial (ADVL1111). Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..The RP2D of tivantinib given with food in children with refractory solid tumors is 240 mg/m2 /dose. PK of tivantinib in children demonstrated high variability. Objective responses were not observed in this phase 1 trial. ..
- El Serag H, Satia J, Rabeneck L. Dietary intake and the risk of gastro-oesophageal reflux disease: a cross sectional study in volunteers. Gut. 2005;54:11-7 pubmed..It is unclear if the effects of dietary fat are independent of obesity. ..
- Barshes N, Lee T, Goss J, Goodpastor S, Huls M, Rooney C, et al. Slc11a1 (formerly Nramp1) polymorphisms and susceptibility to post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease following pediatric liver transplantation. Transpl Infect Dis. 2006;8:108-12 pubmed..Genotyping of pediatric patients undergoing liver transplantation may enable early identification of patients at high risk for developing high EBV titers and/or PTLD. ..
- Boutros S, Shetye P, Ghali S, Carter C, McCarthy J, Grayson B. Morphology and growth of the mandible in Crouzon, Apert, and Pfeiffer syndromes. J Craniofac Surg. 2007;18:146-50 pubmed..Consequently, the ramus appears torqued inward, forming a greater angle with the cranial base. ..
- Garcia J, Polvino W. Pharmacodynamic hormonal effects of anamorelin, a novel oral ghrelin mimetic and growth hormone secretagogue in healthy volunteers. Growth Horm IGF Res. 2009;19:267-73 pubmed publisher..Anamorelin was well tolerated. Anamorelin increases GH, IGF-1, IGFBP-3 and body weight with good tolerability and selectivity, without affecting other anterior pituitary axes or fasting glucose levels. ..
- Kong L, Fry M, Al Samarraie M, Gilbert C, Steinkuller P. An update on progress and the changing epidemiology of causes of childhood blindness worldwide. J AAPOS. 2012;16:501-7 pubmed publisher..To summarize the available data on pediatric blinding disease worldwide and to present current information on childhood blindness in the United States...
- Walders Abramson N, Anderson B, Larkin M, Chang N, Venditti E, Bzdick S, et al. Benefits and barriers to participating in longitudinal research of youth-onset type 2 diabetes: Results from the TODAY retention survey. Clin Trials. 2016;13:240-3 pubmed publisher..Additional efforts to optimize quantitative and qualitative measurement of barriers would also help to expand our understanding of how to optimally retain participants in longitudinal protocols. ..
- Gathe J, Ive P, Wood R, Schurmann D, Bellos N, DeJesus E, et al. SOLO: 48-week efficacy and safety comparison of once-daily fosamprenavir /ritonavir versus twice-daily nelfinavir in naive HIV-1-infected patients. AIDS. 2004;18:1529-37 pubmed..As a first choice protease inhibitor with a low daily pill burden, FPV/r QD was well tolerated and provided potent, durable antiviral suppression. ..
- Shu T, Cisek L, Moore R. Laparoscopic extravesical reimplantation for postpubertal vesicoureteral reflux. J Endourol. 2004;18:441-6 pubmed..In the adolescent group, its repair can be a challenging open procedure. We present our preliminary experience with laparoscopic extravesical ureteral reimplantation for postpubertal vesicoureteral reflux...
- Chong E, Wilhelmus K, Matoba A, Jones D, Coats D, Paysse E. Herpes simplex virus keratitis in children. Am J Ophthalmol. 2004;138:474-5 pubmed..Amblyopia occurred in three children. Children with herpetic keratitis may have bilateral ocular involvement and are at risk for recurrent keratitis and amblyopia. ..
- Okcu M, Wang R, Bueso Ramos C, Schober W, Weidner D, Andrassy R, et al. Flow cytometry and fluorescence in situ hybridization to detect residual neuroblastoma cells in bone marrow. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2005;45:787-95 pubmed..5-95%) compared to a CD56-/CD45+ internal control population (2-8%). Our preliminary results suggest that FCM determination of the percent of CD9+/CD56+/CD45- cells is an effective method of rapidly detecting NB cells in BM. ..
- Kurotaki N, Shen J, Touyama M, Kondoh T, Visser R, Ozaki T, et al. Phenotypic consequences of genetic variation at hemizygous alleles: Sotos syndrome is a contiguous gene syndrome incorporating coagulation factor twelve (FXII) deficiency. Genet Med. 2005;7:479-83 pubmed..Thus, Sotos syndrome is a contiguous gene syndrome incorporating coagulation factor twelve (FXII) deficiency. ..
- Bowne S, Sullivan L, Mortimer S, Hedstrom L, Zhu J, Spellicy C, et al. Spectrum and frequency of mutations in IMPDH1 associated with autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa and leber congenital amaurosis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:34-42 pubmed..Studies are needed to further characterize the functional significance of IMPDH1 nucleic acid binding and its potential relationship to retinal degeneration. ..
- Zhang Z, Wang L, Sturgis E, El Naggar A, Hong W, Amos C, et al. Polymorphisms of FAS and FAS ligand genes involved in the death pathway and risk and progression of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12:5596-602 pubmed..However, potential selection bias warrants future population-based studies to verify the findings. ..
- Axelrad M, Nicholson L, Stabley D, Sol Church K, Gripp K. Longitudinal assessment of cognitive characteristics in Costello syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2007;143A:3185-93 pubmed..However, half of the subjects obtained the lowest possible score on the EVT, demonstrating that this is not the ideal tool for use in this patient population. ..
- Moretti P, Peters S, del Gaudio D, Sahoo T, Hyland K, Bottiglieri T, et al. Brief report: autistic symptoms, developmental regression, mental retardation, epilepsy, and dyskinesias in CNS folate deficiency. J Autism Dev Disord. 2008;38:1170-7 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that autistic features are salient in CFD and suggest that a subset of children with developmental regression, mental retardation, seizures, dyskinesia, and autism may have CNS folate abnormalities...
- Mahajan A, Woo S, Kornguth D, Hughes D, Huh W, Chang E, et al. Multimodality treatment of osteosarcoma: radiation in a high-risk cohort. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008;50:976-82 pubmed publisher..The actuarial 4-year survival from development of metastasis was 39%. Our early results suggest that the use of multimodality therapy including chemotherapy with radiation in unresectable osteosarcoma may be beneficial. ..
- Kantarjian H, O Brien S, Ravandi F, Cortes J, Shan J, Bennett J, et al. Proposal for a new risk model in myelodysplastic syndrome that accounts for events not considered in the original International Prognostic Scoring System. Cancer. 2008;113:1351-61 pubmed publisher..The new model accounts for duration of MDS and prior therapy. It is applicable to any patient with MDS at any time during the course of MDS. ..
- Mehollin Ray A, Kozinetz C, Schlesinger A, Guillerman R, Wang L. Radiographic abnormalities in Rothmund-Thomson syndrome and genotype-phenotype correlation with RECQL4 mutation status. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191:W62-6 pubmed publisher..The presence of skeletal abnormalities correlates with RECQL4 mutation status, which has been found to correlate with risk of osteosarcoma. Skeletal surveys aid in both diagnosis and management of RTS. ..
- Abou Ghazal M, Yang D, Qiao W, Reina Ortiz C, Wei J, Kong L, et al. The incidence, correlation with tumor-infiltrating inflammation, and prognosis of phosphorylated STAT3 expression in human gliomas. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:8228-35 pubmed publisher..p-STAT3 expression differs significantly between gliomas of different pathologic types and grades and correlated with the degree of immune infiltration. ..
- Huang Y, Niu J, Wei S, Yin M, Liu Z, Wang L, et al. A novel functional DEC1 promoter polymorphism -249T>C reduces risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:2082-90 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the DEC1 promoter -249 T>C (rs2012775) polymorphism is functional, modulating susceptibility to SCCHN among non-Hispanic Whites. ..
- Bian F, Qi H, Ma P, Zhang L, Yoon K, Pflugfelder S, et al. An immunoprotective privilege of corneal epithelial stem cells against Th17 inflammatory stress by producing glial cell-derived neurotrophic factor. Stem Cells. 2010;28:2172-81 pubmed publisher..This may represent a unique immunoprotective property of limbal stem cells against inflammatory challenges on the ocular surface. ..
- Gramatges M, Winter S. Recommendations for broader coverage antifungal prophylaxis in childhood acute myeloid leukemia: ASH evidence-based review 2011. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2011;2011:374-6 pubmed publisher..All of those involved in this unfortunate scenario wonder if something could have been done to prevent her death. ..
- Schaaf C, Boone P, Sampath S, Williams C, Bader P, Mueller J, et al. Phenotypic spectrum and genotype-phenotype correlations of NRXN1 exon deletions. Eur J Hum Genet. 2012;20:1240-7 pubmed publisher..The more C-terminal deletions, including those affecting the ? isoform of neurexin 1, manifested increased head size and a high frequency of seizure disorder (88%) when compared with N-terminal deletions of NRXN1. ..
- Giordano T, Rodriguez S, Zhang H, Kallen M, Jibaja Weiss M, Buscher A, et al. Effect of a clinic-wide social marketing campaign to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:104-12 pubmed publisher..Future interventions should engage patients more completely and have a more potent effect on adherence. ..
- Glaser D, Jain S, Kortum P. Benefits of a physician-facing tablet presentation of patient symptom data: comparing paper and electronic formats. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2013;13:99 pubmed publisher..Reducing the size of the interface did not negatively affect accuracy, speed, or usability. Generalization of the results to other physician facing interfaces is discussed. ..
- Konoplev S, Lin P, Yin C, Lin E, Nogueras Gonzalez G, Kantarjian H, et al. CXC chemokine receptor 4 expression, CXC chemokine receptor 4 activation, and wild-type nucleophosmin are independently associated with unfavorable prognosis in patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2013;13:686-92 pubmed publisher..There is no correlation between NPM1 mutations and CXCR4 or pCXCR4 expression, suggesting that the CXCR4 and NPM pathways act independently in adult AML. ..
- Small K, DeLuca A, Whitmore S, Rosenberg T, Silva Garcia R, Udar N, et al. North Carolina Macular Dystrophy Is Caused by Dysregulation of the Retinal Transcription Factor PRDM13. Ophthalmology. 2016;123:9-18 pubmed publisher..Four of these strongly implicate the involvement of PRDM13 in macular development, whereas the pathophysiologic mechanism of the fifth remains unknown but may involve the developmental dysregulation of IRX1. ..
- Kmeid J, Vanichanan J, Shah D, El Chaer F, Azzi J, Ariza Heredia E, et al. Outcomes of Influenza Infections in Hematopoietic Cell Transplant Recipients: Application of an Immunodeficiency Scoring Index. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2016;22:542-8 pubmed publisher..These patients should be monitored more closely. Early initiation of antiviral therapy for influenza in HCT recipients, regardless of the ISI risk group, may improve morbidity as well as mortality. ..
- McNeil J, Kok E, Vallejo J, Campbell J, Hulten K, Mason E, et al. Clinical and Molecular Features of Decreased Chlorhexidine Susceptibility among Nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus Isolates at Texas Children's Hospital. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:1121-8 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to understand the implications that these organisms have on the hospital environment and antiseptic use in the future. ..
- Steck A, Xu P, Geyer S, Redondo M, ANTINOZZI P, Wentworth J, et al. Can Non-HLA Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms Help Stratify Risk in TrialNet Relatives at Risk for Type 1 Diabetes?. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2873-2880 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we identified five non-HLA SNPs associated with increased risk of progression from Ab positivity to disease that may improve risk stratification for prevention trials. ..
- Earnshaw V, Elliott M, Reisner S, Mrug S, Windle M, Emery S, et al. Peer Victimization, Depressive Symptoms, and Substance Use: A Longitudinal Analysis. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..Interventions are needed to reduce peer victimization among youth and to support youth who have experienced victimization. ..
- Nguyen M, Berntsen D. Aberrometry Repeatability and Agreement with Autorefraction. Optom Vis Sci. 2017;94:886-893 pubmed publisher..Small differences in refractive error were found between the Discovery System and Grand Seiko. ..
- Maccato M, Faro S, Summers K. Wound infections after cesarean section with Mycoplasma hominis and Ureaplasma urealyticum. A report of three cases. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1990;13:363-5 pubmed..In all patients, aspiration of the incision yielded a cloudy serosanguinous exudate. Gram stain of the fluid revealed numerous white blood cells but no bacteria. All patients responded to antibiotic therapy and local wound care...
- Lewis R, Shroyer N, Singh N, Allikmets R, Hutchinson A, Li Y, et al. Genotype/Phenotype analysis of a photoreceptor-specific ATP-binding cassette transporter gene, ABCR, in Stargardt disease. Am J Hum Genet. 1999;64:422-34 pubmed..These findings support the hypothesis that compound heterozygous ABCR mutations are responsible for STGD1 and that some heterozygous ABCR mutations may enhance susceptibility to AMD...
- Kantarjian H, Shan J, Smith T, Talpaz M, Kozuch P, Rios M, et al. Response to therapy is independently associated with survival prolongation in chronic myelogenous leukemia in the blastic phase. Cancer. 2001;92:2501-7 pubmed..04), and response (P < 0.001) with survival. Response to therapy is a significant independent factor associated with survival prolongation and maybe an acceptable therapeutic endpoint for approving new treatments in CML-BP. ..
- Hanasono M, Kridel R, Pastorek N, Glasgold M, Koch R. Correction of the soft tissue pollybeak using triamcinolone injection. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2002;4:26-30; discussion 31 pubmed..Should intralesional steroid injection fail to satisfactorily treat the deformity, revision rhinoplasty can subsequently be performed. ..
- Zhang W, Simos P, Ishibashi H, Wheless J, Castillo E, Kim H, et al. Multimodality neuroimaging evaluation improves the detection of subtle cortical dysplasia in seizure patients. Neurol Res. 2003;25:53-7 pubmed..Normal magnetic resonance images should be re-evaluated for subtle signs of focal cortical dysplasia especially when magnetoencephalography recording demonstrate focal epileptic discharges. ..
- Levin H. Neuroplasticity following non-penetrating traumatic brain injury. Brain Inj. 2003;17:665-74 pubmed..Functional MRI, coupled with DTI and possibly other imaging modalities holds the promise of elucidating mechanisms of neuroplasticity and repair following TBI. ..
- Escalante C, Weiser M, Manzullo E, Benjamin R, Rivera E, Lam T, et al. Outcomes of treatment pathways in outpatient treatment of low risk febrile neutropenic cancer patients. Support Care Cancer. 2004;12:657-62 pubmed..Certain factors are associated with higher risk of hospitalization and should be further examined in eligible patients with low-risk febrile neutropenia. ..
- Rubenstein M, Levy M, Metry D. Voriconazole-induced retinoid-like photosensitivity in children. Pediatr Dermatol. 2004;21:675-8 pubmed..Severe photosensitivity occurred in both patients, one of whom had striking photodamage at the 5-month follow-up. ..
- Bollard C, Aguilar L, Straathof K, Gahn B, Huls M, Rousseau A, et al. Cytotoxic T lymphocyte therapy for Epstein-Barr virus+ Hodgkin's disease. J Exp Med. 2004;200:1623-33 pubmed..One additional patient had a partial response, and five had stable disease. The performance and fate of these human tumor antigen-specific T cells in vivo suggests that they might be of value for the treatment of EBV+ Hodgkin lymphoma. ..
- Guimond C, Johnson J, Marchena J. Fixation of mandibular angle fractures with a 2.0-mm 3-dimensional curved angle strut plate. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63:209-14 pubmed..The infection rate of 5.4% found in this study compares favorably with that seen with reconstruction plates. Use of this plate did not appear to cause a permanent sensory deficit in this study. ..
- Jefferies J, Eidem B, Belmont J, Craigen W, Ware S, Fernbach S, et al. Genetic predictors and remodeling of dilated cardiomyopathy in muscular dystrophy. Circulation. 2005;112:2799-804 pubmed..Further studies evaluating the impact of early intervention strategies on left ventricular geometry and function in muscular dystrophy patients seem warranted. ..
- Ho T, Vrabec J, Yoo D, Coker N. Otomycosis: clinical features and treatment implications. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;135:787-91 pubmed..Complications are not uncommon but usually resolve with application of appropriate topical antifungal agents. Eradication of disease is more difficult in the presence of a mastoid cavity. ..
- Han X, Garcia Manero G, McDonnell T, Lozano G, Medeiros L, Xiao L, et al. HDM4 (HDMX) is widely expressed in adult pre-B acute lymphoblastic leukemia and is a potential therapeutic target. Mod Pathol. 2007;20:54-62 pubmed..05) and p21 (P<0.001) were expressed significantly more often in Ph+ pre-B ALL. HDM4 and HDM2 showed no correlation with Ph status. HDM4 expression in most cases of adult pre-B ALL suggests that HDM4 is a potential therapeutic target. ..
- Goldstein S, Allsteadt A, Beck W, Nilsson L. Evaluation of the Polyflux 6H dialyzer in pediatric patients receiving maintenance hemodialysis. Int J Artif Organs. 2007;30:321-4 pubmed..We found that the Polyflux 6H Dialyzer provided adequate clearance for children up to 24 kg in size and is a suitable dialyzer choice for patients 13 to 26 kg in size...
- Delpassand E, Sims Mourtada J, Saso H, Azhdarinia A, Ashoori F, Torabi F, et al. Safety and efficacy of radionuclide therapy with high-activity In-111 pentetreotide in patients with progressive neuroendocrine tumors. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2008;23:292-300 pubmed publisher..Upon interim analysis, median survival was approximately 13 months (range 1.2-24.5). These results show that high-activity 111In-pentetreotide therapy is effective in patients with progressive disseminated neuroendocrine tumors. ..
- Brown H. Lawsuit activity, defensive medicine, and small area variation: the case of Cesarean sections revisited. Health Econ Policy Law. 2007;2:285-96 pubmed publisher..After extracting the variation in delivery practice between hospitals and between Dartmouth Hospital Referral Regions in a multilevel model, the effects of lawsuits on defensive medicine are reduced but are still significant. ..
- Yen K, Reddy A, Weikert M, Song Y, Hamill M. Iris-fixated posterior chamber intraocular lenses in children. Am J Ophthalmol. 2009;147:121-6 pubmed publisher..Dislocation of the IOLs can occur, however, and there is concern for suture degradation over time. The procedure should be considered with caution in pediatric patients. ..
- Glezen W. Universal influenza vaccination and live attenuated influenza vaccination of children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008;27:S104-9 pubmed publisher..Systematic delivery of influenza vaccine in school-based and workplace-based clinics would greatly enhance the control of epidemic influenza and help prepare for the next pandemic. ..
- Kontoyiannis D, Marr K, Park B, Alexander B, Anaissie E, Walsh T, et al. Prospective surveillance for invasive fungal infections in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients, 2001-2006: overview of the Transplant-Associated Infection Surveillance Network (TRANSNET) Database. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50:1091-100 pubmed publisher..Understanding the epidemiologic trends and burden of IFIs may lead to improved management strategies and study design. ..
- Bhatia R, Hartman C, Kallen M, Graham J, Giordano T. Persons newly diagnosed with HIV infection are at high risk for depression and poor linkage to care: results from the Steps Study. AIDS Behav. 2011;15:1161-70 pubmed publisher..Depression is very prevalent in persons newly diagnosed with HIV infection. Interventions targeting linkage to care should address depression, substance abuse, and barriers to care. ..
- McGuire A, Oliver J, Slashinski M, Graves J, Wang T, Kelly P, et al. To share or not to share: a randomized trial of consent for data sharing in genome research. Genet Med. 2011;13:948-55 pubmed publisher..These results suggest discordance between existing data sharing policies and participants' judgments and desires. ..
- Fanale M, Forero Torres A, Rosenblatt J, Advani R, Franklin A, Kennedy D, et al. A phase I weekly dosing study of brentuximab vedotin in patients with relapsed/refractory CD30-positive hematologic malignancies. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:248-55 pubmed publisher..This ADC was associated with manageable toxicity, including peripheral neuropathy. Further study in CD30-positive malignancies is warranted. ..
- Davila J, Miertschin N, Sansgiry S, Schwarzwald H, Henley C, Giordano T. Centralization of HIV services in HIV-positive African-American and Hispanic youth improves retention in care. AIDS Care. 2013;25:202-6 pubmed publisher..04). Results suggest that centralizing youth-specific care and expanding youth services can improve retention in HIV care. These system changes should be considered when resources allow. ..
- Au K, Rodriguez J, Finch J, Volcik K, Roach E, Delgado M, et al. Germ-line mutational analysis of the TSC2 gene in 90 tuberous-sclerosis patients. Am J Hum Genet. 1998;62:286-94 pubmed
- Manolidis S, Pappas D, Von Doersten P, Jackson C, Glasscock M. Temporal bone and lateral skull base malignancy: experience and results with 81 patients. Am J Otol. 1998;19:S1-15 pubmed..This study aimed to examine predictive factors and treatment outcome and to devise a staging method for malignant lateral skull base disease...
- Go C, Bernstein J, de Jong A, Sulek M, Friedman E. Intracranial complications of acute mastoiditis. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2000;52:143-8 pubmed..We reviewed cases of acute mastoiditis to document: (1) incidence of intracranial complications; (2) risk factors; and (3) identify pathologic organisms...
- Ballo M, Zagars G, Pisters P, Feig B, Patel S, von Eschenbach A. Spermatic cord sarcoma: outcome, patterns of failure and management. J Urol. 2001;166:1306-10 pubmed..We evaluate the outcome, clarify the patterns of failure and suggest treatment strategies for sarcoma in the spermatic cord...
- Caffesse R, De La Rosa R, De La Rosa G, Weltman R. Effect of interleukin-1 gene polymorphism in a periodontally healthy Hispanic population treated with mucogingival surgery. J Clin Periodontol. 2002;29:177-81 pubmed
- Boerkoel C, Takashima H, Nakagawa M, Izumo S, Armstrong D, Butler I, et al. CMT4A: identification of a Hispanic GDAP1 founder mutation. Ann Neurol. 2003;53:400-5 pubmed..Neuropathology showed loss of large myelinated fibers, onion bulb formations and focal folding of the outer myelin lamina...
- Armstrong D, Deguchi K, Antallfy B. Survey of MeCP2 in the Rett syndrome and the non-Rett syndrome brain. J Child Neurol. 2003;18:683-7 pubmed..In the developing brain, synaptic activity and plasticity could be necessary to maintain MeCP2 in selected neuronal populations. ..
- Glaze D. Childhood insomnia: why Chris can't sleep. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2004;51:33-50, vi pubmed..Medications are frequently prescribed, but there is a lack of data from controlled studies to support the use of pharmacologic agents in the management of childhood insomnia...
- Anderlini P, Acholonu S, Okoroji G, Andersson B, Couriel D, De Lima M, et al. Donor leukocyte infusions in relapsed Hodgkin's lymphoma following allogeneic stem cell transplantation: CD3+ cell dose, GVHD and disease response. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2004;34:511-4 pubmed..The small sample size does not allow any conclusion as to whether chemotherapy administration increases the chance of response. The CD3 cell dose infused does not seem to correlate with disease response. ..
- Champlin R, Perez W, Passweg J, Klein J, Camitta B, Gluckman E, et al. Bone marrow transplantation for severe aplastic anemia: a randomized controlled study of conditioning regimens. Blood. 2007;109:4582-5 pubmed..In conclusion, the results of allogeneic BMT for SAA have improved over time related to advances in supportive care. The addition of ATG to the preparative regimen did not significantly improve the outcome. ..
- Kellermayer R, Kim S, Perez M, Tatevian N, Dishop M, Abrams S, et al. Cytomegalovirus esophagitis preceding the diagnosis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Endoscopy. 2007;39 Suppl 1:E218 pubmed
- Smith S, Pereira K. Suppurative thyroiditis in children: a management algorithm. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008;24:764-7 pubmed publisher..Endoscopic chemical cautery of the internal opening is a safe and effective technique, with very low morbidity, and has the potential for cure. ..
- Julapalli M, Scher R, Sybert V, Siegfried E, Bree A. Dermatologic findings of ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defects-cleft lip/palate (AEC) syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2009;149A:1900-6 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic strategies currently under exploration include gene therapy, as well as epidermal stem cell therapy. Until then, gentle wound care and limiting further trauma seem to be the most prudent treatment modalities...
- Chen J, Etzel C, Amos C, Zhang Q, Viscofsky N, Lindor N, et al. Genetic variants in the cell cycle control pathways contribute to early onset colorectal cancer in Lynch syndrome. Cancer Causes Control. 2009;20:1769-77 pubmed publisher..These studies provide an important part of the foundation for development of a model for stratifying age of onset risk among those with Lynch syndrome. ..
- Mazloom A, Wolff J, Paulino A. The impact of radiotherapy fields in the treatment of patients with choroid plexus carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:79-84 pubmed publisher..Patients with CPC who received CSI had better PFS compared with those receiving less than CSI. This study supports the use of CSI in the multimodality management of patients with CPC. ..
- Verbruggen S, Sy J, Arrivillaga A, Joosten K, van Goudoever J, Castillo L. Parenteral amino acid intakes in critically ill children: a matter of convenience. JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2010;34:329-40 pubmed publisher..Amino acid composition of parenteral formulas is variable and lacks scientific support. Parenteral amino acid intakes should be based on measured requirements to maintain nutrition and functional balance and on knowledge of toxicity. ..
- Middleman A, Anding R, Tung C. Effect of needle length when immunizing obese adolescents with hepatitis B vaccine. Pediatrics. 2010;125:e508-12 pubmed publisher..8 mIU/mL, 1.5-inch = 345.4 mIU/mL; P = .03). This finding supports the hypothesis that needle length accounts for a significant portion of the discrepancy in immune response to HBV vaccine that is seen among those with obesity. ..
- Paulino A, Lobo M, Teh B, Okcu M, South M, Butler E, et al. Ototoxicity after intensity-modulated radiation therapy and cisplatin-based chemotherapy in children with medulloblastoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010;78:1445-50 pubmed publisher..027). Severe ototoxicity was seen in 18.2% of ears in children treated with IMRT boost and cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Increasing dose to the cochlea was associated with increasing severity of hearing loss. ..
- Armstrong T, Vera Bolanos E, Bekele B, Aldape K, Gilbert M. Adult ependymal tumors: prognosis and the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Neuro Oncol. 2010;12:862-70 pubmed publisher..Reclassification of ependymoma by neuropathologists is common. Results of this study have lead to a multicenter study to further define important diagnostic and prognostic variables for adults with ependymoma. ..
- Liu X, Mayes M, Tan F, Wu M, Reveille J, Harper B, et al. Correlation of interferon-inducible chemokine plasma levels with disease severity in systemic sclerosis. Arthritis Rheum. 2013;65:226-35 pubmed publisher..The IFN-inducible chemokine score is a stable serologic marker of a more severe form of SSc and may be useful for risk stratification of patients, regardless of disease type (limited or diffuse) or duration of disease. ..
- Redell M, Ruiz M, Gerbing R, Alonzo T, Lange B, Tweardy D, et al. FACS analysis of Stat3/5 signaling reveals sensitivity to G-CSF and IL-6 as a significant prognostic factor in pediatric AML: a Children's Oncology Group report. Blood. 2013;121:1083-93 pubmed publisher..Patterns of ligand sensitivity may be valuable for improving risk identification, and for developing new agents for individualized therapy. ..
- Karolak J, Gambin T, Rydzanicz M, Szaflik J, Polakowski P, Frajdenberg A, et al. Evidence against ZNF469 being causative for keratoconus in Polish patients. Acta Ophthalmol. 2016;94:289-94 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that variation in ZNF469 is not responsible for KTCN and other genetic variants are involved in the development and progression of this disease in Polish patients. ..
- Gerardo C, Quackenbush E, Lewis B, Rose S, Greene S, Toschlog E, et al. The Efficacy of Crotalidae Polyvalent Immune Fab (Ovine) Antivenom Versus Placebo Plus Optional Rescue Therapy on Recovery From Copperhead Snake Envenomation: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Clinical Trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2017;70:233-244.e3 pubmed publisher..Treatment with FabAV reduces limb disability measured by the Patient-Specific Functional Scale 14 days after copperhead envenomation. ..
- Stavis M, Murray M, Jenkins P, Wood R, Brenham B, Jass J. Objective improvement from base-in prisms for reading discomfort associated with mini-convergence insufficiency type exophoria in school children. Binocul Vis Strabismus Q. 2002;17:135-42 pubmed..001. Patients also reported subjective improvement in asthenopic symptoms and headaches. Base-in prism glasses improve subjective reading comfort and abilities (speed, accuracy and comprehension) in these patients. ..