Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish proteins in Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Locale: Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Topic: zebrafish proteins
- Yin C, Solnica Krezel L. Convergence and extension movements affect dynamic notochord-somite interactions essential for zebrafish slow muscle morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2007;236:2742-56 pubmed..We propose that in the double mutants, impaired C&E movements disrupt notochord development, which impedes the adaxial cell shape changes. ..
- Kucenas S, Takada N, Park H, Woodruff E, Broadie K, Appel B. CNS-derived glia ensheath peripheral nerves and mediate motor root development. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:143-51 pubmed publisher..These insights reveal a new class of CNS-born glia that critically contributes to motor nerve development. ..
- Reed N, Mortlock D. Identification of a distant cis-regulatory element controlling pharyngeal arch-specific expression of zebrafish gdf6a/radar. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1047-60 pubmed publisher..This work illustrates that radar is regulated in the pharyngeal arches by a distant conserved element and suggests radar has similar functions in skeletal development in fish and mammals. ..
- Clément A, Solnica Krezel L, Gould K. The Cdc14B phosphatase contributes to ciliogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2011;138:291-302 pubmed publisher..This first study of a loss of function of a Cdc14 family member in a vertebrate organism reveals a new role for Cdc14B in ciliogenesis and consequently in a number of developmental processes. ..
- Taylor R, Qi J, Talaga A, Ma T, Pan L, Bartholomew C, et al. Asymmetric inhibition of Ulk2 causes left-right differences in habenular neuropil formation. J Neurosci. 2011;31:9869-78 pubmed publisher..This work describes a regulatory mechanism for neuronal process extension that may be conserved in other developmental contexts in addition to the epithalamus. ..
- Simmons T, Appel B. Mutation of pescadillo disrupts oligodendrocyte formation in zebrafish. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32317 pubmed publisher..Our data provide evidence that neural precursors require pes function to progress through the cell cycle and produce oligodendrocyte progenitor cells and for oligodendrocyte differentiation. ..
- Snyder J, Kearns C, Appel B. Fbxw7 regulates Notch to control specification of neural precursors for oligodendrocyte fate. Neural Dev. 2012;7:15 pubmed publisher..Notch signaling promotes glia cell formation from neural precursors in vertebrate embryos. Our data indicate that Fbxw7 helps attenuate Notch signaling during zebrafish neural development thereby limiting the number of OPCs. ..
- Fekany Lee K, Gonzalez E, Miller Bertoglio V, Solnica Krezel L. The homeobox gene bozozok promotes anterior neuroectoderm formation in zebrafish through negative regulation of BMP2/4 and Wnt pathways. Development. 2000;127:2333-45 pubmed..In addition, by negative regulation of Wnt signaling, boz promotes organizer formation and limits posteriorization of neuroectoderm in the late gastrula. ..
- Gonzalez E, Fekany Lee K, Carmany Rampey A, Erter C, Topczewski J, Wright C, et al. Head and trunk in zebrafish arise via coinhibition of BMP signaling by bozozok and chordino. Genes Dev. 2000;14:3087-92 pubmed..Thus, a remarkably simple genetic mechanism, involving a coinhibition of BMP function by the partially overlapping bozozok and chordino pathways is used to specify vertebrate head and trunk. ..
- Solnica Krezel L, Driever W. The role of the homeodomain protein Bozozok in zebrafish axis formation. Int J Dev Biol. 2001;45:299-310 pubmed..Notably, Bozozok appears to function by repressing transcription of target genes such as swr (bmp2b) gene, and as such is the earliest acting repressor that the nascent dorsal axis is using to antagonize ventral influences...
- Wu S, Shin J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Chemokine GPCR signaling inhibits β-catenin during zebrafish axis formation. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001403 pubmed publisher..Our study delineates a novel negative, Gsk3β-independent control mechanism of β-catenin and implicates Ccr7 as a long-hypothesized GPCR regulating vertebrate axis formation. ..
- Cheng A, Thisse B, Thisse C, Wright C. The lefty-related factor Xatv acts as a feedback inhibitor of nodal signaling in mesoderm induction and L-R axis development in xenopus. Development. 2000;127:1049-61 pubmed..We propose that the induction of lefty/Xatv in the left LPM by nodal/Xnr1 provides an efficient self-regulating mechanism to downregulate nodal/Xnr1 expression and ensure a transient 'left' signal within the embryo. ..
- Li N, Flynt A, Kim H, Solnica Krezel L, Patton J. Dispatched Homolog 2 is targeted by miR-214 through a combination of three weak microRNA recognition sites. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:4277-85 pubmed publisher..This finding underscores the challenge that prediction algorithms face and emphasizes the need to experimentally validate predicted MREs. ..
- Zeng X, Wilm T, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Apelin and its receptor control heart field formation during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Cell. 2007;12:391-402 pubmed..Our results implicate GPCR signaling in movements of discrete cell populations that establish organ rudiments during vertebrate gastrulation. ..
- Carlin D, Sepich D, Grover V, Cooper M, Solnica Krezel L, Inbal A. Six3 cooperates with Hedgehog signaling to specify ventral telencephalon by promoting early expression of Foxg1a and repressing Wnt signaling. Development. 2012;139:2614-24 pubmed publisher..We further find that Six3 promotes ventral telencephalic fates through transient regulation of foxg1a expression and repression of the Wnt/?-catenin pathway. ..
- Sepich D, Usmani M, Pawlicki S, Solnica Krezel L. Wnt/PCP signaling controls intracellular position of MTOCs during gastrulation convergence and extension movements. Development. 2011;138:543-52 pubmed publisher..Wnt/PCP signaling influences the polarity of the microtubule cytoskeleton and, conversely, microtubules are required for the asymmetric distribution of Wnt/PCP pathway components. ..
- Snelson C, Santhakumar K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Tbx2b is required for the development of the parapineal organ. Development. 2008;135:1693-702 pubmed publisher..We conclude that tbx2b functions to specify the correct number of parapineal cells and to regulate their asymmetric migration. ..
- Marlow F, Topczewski J, Sepich D, Solnica Krezel L. Zebrafish Rho kinase 2 acts downstream of Wnt11 to mediate cell polarity and effective convergence and extension movements. Curr Biol. 2002;12:876-84 pubmed..Furthermore, elongation and orientation of the cell body are independent properties that require both cell-autonomous and nonautonomous Rok2 function. ..
- Van Raay T, Coffey R, Solnica Krezel L. Zebrafish Naked1 and Naked2 antagonize both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. Dev Biol. 2007;309:151-68 pubmed..Finally, reducing Nkd1 function in slb mutants suppressed the axial mesendoderm C&E defect. These data indicate that zebrafish Nkd1 and Nkd2 function to limit both canonical and non-canonical Wnt signaling. ..
- Flynt A, Li N, Thatcher E, Solnica Krezel L, Patton J. Zebrafish miR-214 modulates Hedgehog signaling to specify muscle cell fate. Nat Genet. 2007;39:259-63 pubmed..Through regulation of su(fu), miR-214 enables precise specification of muscle cell types by sharpening cellular responses to Hedgehog. ..
- Shin J, Poling J, Park H, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates neural precursor allocation and binary neuronal fate decisions in zebrafish. Development. 2007;134:1911-20 pubmed
- Appel B, Marasco P, McClung L, Latimer A. lunatic fringe regulates Delta-Notch induction of hypochord in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:281-6 pubmed
- Müller I, Knapik E, Hatzopoulos A. Expression of the protein related to Dan and Cerberus gene--prdc--During eye, pharyngeal arch, somite, and swim bladder development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:2881-8 pubmed..Moreover, the complexity of the prdc expression pattern suggests possible roles in eye development, pharyngeal arch remodeling, somitogenesis, and swim bladder organogenesis...
- Yin C, Solnica Krezel L. Convergence and extension movements mediate the specification and fate maintenance of zebrafish slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 2007;304:141-55 pubmed..Our results underscore the significance of precise coordination between cell movements and inductive tissue interactions during cell fate specification. ..
- Clanton J, Hope K, Gamse J. Fgf signaling governs cell fate in the zebrafish pineal complex. Development. 2013;140:323-32 pubmed publisher..We conclude that this subset of anterior pineal complex precursors, which normally become parapineal cells, are bipotential and require Fgf8a to maintain parapineal identity and/or prevent cone identity. ..
- Latimer A, Jessen J. Extracellular matrix assembly and organization during zebrafish gastrulation. Matrix Biol. 2010;29:89-96 pubmed publisher..These results provide a framework for uncovering the interrelationship between ECM structure and cellular processes regulating convergence and extension such as directed migration and mediolateral/radial intercalation. ..
- Jessen J, Solnica Krezel L. Identification and developmental expression pattern of van gogh-like 1, a second zebrafish strabismus homologue. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;4:339-44 pubmed..Injection of synthetic vangl1 RNA partially suppressed the gastrulation defect in trilobite mutant embryos, suggesting that Vangl1 and Trilobite/Vangl2 have similar biochemical activities. ..
- Lin F, Chen S, Sepich D, Panizzi J, Clendenon S, Marrs J, et al. Galpha12/13 regulate epiboly by inhibiting E-cadherin activity and modulating the actin cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:909-21 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first in vivo evidence that Galpha(12/13) regulate epiboly through two distinct mechanisms: limiting E-cadherin activity and modulating the organization of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Snelson C, Burkart J, Gamse J. Formation of the asymmetric pineal complex in zebrafish requires two independently acting transcription factors. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3538-44 pubmed publisher..Careful analysis shows that flh is not required for tbx2b transcription and double mutants exhibit an additive phenotype. We conclude that Flh and Tbx2b regulate separate programs of pineal and parapineal development. ..
- Wang W, Huang C, Lu Y, Hsin J, Prabhakar V, Cheng C, et al. Heart-targeted overexpression of Nip3a in zebrafish embryos causes abnormal heart development and cardiac dysfunction. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;347:979-87 pubmed..These results showed that myocyte apoptosis is a universal pathogenic factor for congenital heart failure using zebrafish as a model organism. ..
- Fekany K, Yamanaka Y, Leung T, Sirotkin H, Topczewski J, Gates M, et al. The zebrafish bozozok locus encodes Dharma, a homeodomain protein essential for induction of gastrula organizer and dorsoanterior embryonic structures. Development. 1999;126:1427-38 pubmed
- Lang M, Lapierre L, Frotscher M, Goldenring J, Knapik E. Secretory COPII coat component Sec23a is essential for craniofacial chondrocyte maturation. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1198-203 pubmed..As SEC23A lesions cause the cranio-lenticulo-sutural dysplasia syndrome, crusher provides the first vertebrate model system that links the biology of endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi trafficking with a clinically relevant dysmorphology. ..
- Zannino D, Appel B. Olig2+ precursors produce abducens motor neurons and oligodendrocytes in the zebrafish hindbrain. J Neurosci. 2009;29:2322-33 pubmed publisher..These studies, therefore, reveal both common and independent roles for olig2 in development of somatic motor neurons and oligodendrocytes of the hindbrain. ..
- Marlow F, Gonzalez E, Yin C, Rojo C, Solnica Krezel L. No tail co-operates with non-canonical Wnt signaling to regulate posterior body morphogenesis in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:203-16 pubmed..Moreover, we provide genetic evidence for the notion that tail development entails a continuation of mechanisms regulating gastrulation together with mechanisms unique to the posterior body. ..
- Topczewski J, Sepich D, Myers D, Walker C, Amores A, Lele Z, et al. The zebrafish glypican knypek controls cell polarity during gastrulation movements of convergent extension. Dev Cell. 2001;1:251-64 pubmed
- de Caestecker M, Bottomley M, Bhattacharyya S, Payne T, Roberts A, Yelick P. The novel type I serine-threonine kinase receptor Alk8 binds TGF-beta in the presence of TGF-betaRII. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;293:1556-65 pubmed..These results expand the signaling repertoire of zAlk8 by demonstrating an ability to participate in two distinct TGF-beta subfamily signaling pathways. ..
- Müller I, Melville D, Tanwar V, Rybski W, Mukherjee A, Shoemaker M, et al. Functional modeling in zebrafish demonstrates that the atrial-fibrillation-associated gene GREM2 regulates cardiac laterality, cardiomyocyte differentiation and atrial rhythm. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:332-41 pubmed publisher..These results implicate, for the first time, regulators of BMP signaling in human AF, providing mechanistic insights into the pathogenesis of the disease and identifying potential new therapeutic targets. ..
- Park H, Appel B. Delta-Notch signaling regulates oligodendrocyte specification. Development. 2003;130:3747-55 pubmed..Our data provide evidence that Notch signaling maintains subsets of ventral spinal cord precursors during neuronal birth and, acting with other temporally and spatially restricted factors, specifies them for oligodendrocyte fate. ..
- Latimer A, Shin J, Appel B. her9 promotes floor plate development in zebrafish. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:1098-104 pubmed..We show that, instead, her9 is a downstream effector of Nodal signaling for floor plate specification. ..
- Wu S, de Borsetti N, Bain E, Bulow C, Gamse J. Mediator subunit 12 coordinates intrinsic and extrinsic control of epithalamic development. Dev Biol. 2014;385:13-22 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Mediator complex is responsible for subtle but significant changes in transcriptional timing and amplitude that are essential for coordinating the development of neurons in the epithalamus. ..
- Quick R, Dunlap J, Jessen J. Expression analysis of zebrafish membrane type-2 matrix metalloproteinases during embryonic development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2012;12:254-60 pubmed publisher..Our data thus provide a foundation for uncovering the role of Mmp15-dependent pericellular proteolysis during zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Granero Molto F, Sarmah S, O Rear L, Spagnoli A, Abrahamson D, Saus J, et al. Goodpasture antigen-binding protein and its spliced variant, ceramide transfer protein, have different functions in the modulation of apoptosis during zebrafish development. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:20495-504 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this phenotype is mediated by Gpbp but not GpbpDelta26/CERT, suggesting that Gpbp is an important factor for normal skeletal muscle and brain development. ..
- Erter C, Wilm T, Basler N, Wright C, Solnica Krezel L. Wnt8 is required in lateral mesendodermal precursors for neural posteriorization in vivo. Development. 2001;128:3571-83 pubmed
- Chopra S, Stroud D, Watanabe H, Bennett J, Burns C, Wells K, et al. Voltage-gated sodium channels are required for heart development in zebrafish. Circ Res. 2010;106:1342-50 pubmed publisher..These findings identify a novel and possibly nonelectrogenic role for cardiac sodium channels in heart development. ..
- Osada S, Wright C. Xenopus nodal-related signaling is essential for mesendodermal patterning during early embryogenesis. Development. 1999;126:3229-40 pubmed
- Khuchua Z, Yue Z, Batts L, Strauss A. A zebrafish model of human Barth syndrome reveals the essential role of tafazzin in cardiac development and function. Circ Res. 2006;99:201-8 pubmed..The tafazzin knockdown zebrafish provides an animal model similar to Barth syndrome to analyze the severity of human mutants and to test potential treatments. ..
- Qu S, Niswender K, Ji Q, van der Meer R, Keeney D, Magnuson M, et al. Polydactyly and ectopic ZPA formation in Alx-4 mutant mice. Development. 1997;124:3999-4008 pubmed..The results identify Alx-4 as a determinant of anterior-posterior positional identity in the limb and a component of a regulatory program that restricts ZPA formation to the posterior limb bud mesenchyme. ..
- Sarmah B, Wente S. Inositol hexakisphosphate kinase-2 acts as an effector of the vertebrate Hedgehog pathway. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19921-6 pubmed publisher..We propose that IP6K2 activity is required at the level or downstream of Smoothened but upstream of the transcription activator Gli1. ..
- Sun Z, Risner M, van Asselt J, Zhang D, Kamermans M, McMahon D. Physiological and molecular characterization of connexin hemichannels in zebrafish retinal horizontal cells. J Neurophysiol. 2012;107:2624-32 pubmed publisher..5 and Cx52.6 contribute to hemichannel currents, and that Cx55.5 may have an additional regulatory function enhancing the amplitude of hemichannel currents. ..
- Zeng X, Zheng X, Xiang Y, Cho H, Jessen J, Zhong T, et al. Phospholipase D1 is required for angiogenesis of intersegmental blood vessels in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2009;328:363-76 pubmed publisher..These results provide the first evidence that function of Pld1 in the developing notochord is essential for vascular development in vertebrates. ..
- Topczewska J, Topczewski J, Shostak A, Kume T, Solnica Krezel L, Hogan B. The winged helix transcription factor Foxc1a is essential for somitogenesis in zebrafish. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2483-93 pubmed..Therefore, zebrafish foxc1a plays an essential and conserved role in somite formation, regulating both the expression of paraxis and the A/P patterning of somite primordia. ..
- Doll C, Burkart J, Hope K, Halpern M, Gamse J. Subnuclear development of the zebrafish habenular nuclei requires ER translocon function. Dev Biol. 2011;360:44-57 pubmed publisher..Our results show that in the absence of sec61al1, an excess of precursor cells for the LsDh exit the ventricular region and differentiate, resulting in formation of bilaterally symmetric habenular nuclei. ..
- Jao L, Appel B, Wente S. A zebrafish model of lethal congenital contracture syndrome 1 reveals Gle1 function in spinal neural precursor survival and motor axon arborization. Development. 2012;139:1316-26 pubmed publisher..We propose that defective GLE1 function in human LCCS1 results in both neurogenic and non-neurogenic defects linked to the apoptosis of proliferative organ precursors. ..
- Williams C, Kim S, Ni T, Mitchell L, Ro H, Penn J, et al. Hedgehog signaling induces arterial endothelial cell formation by repressing venous cell fate. Dev Biol. 2010;341:196-204 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these studies suggest that arterial endothelial cells are specified and formed via repressing venous cell fate at the lateral plate mesoderm by Hh signaling during vasculogenesis. ..
- Qu X, Jia H, Garrity D, Tompkins K, Batts L, Appel B, et al. Ndrg4 is required for normal myocyte proliferation during early cardiac development in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2008;317:486-96 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies reveal an essential role of ndrg4 in regulating proliferation and growth of cardiomyocytes, suggesting that ndrg4 may function downstream of tbx5 during heart development and growth. ..
- Latimer A, Appel B. Notch signaling regulates midline cell specification and proliferation in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2006;298:392-402 pubmed..Together, our results indicate that Notch signaling regulates allocation of appropriate numbers of different midline cells by different mechanisms. ..
- Dohn M, Mundell N, Sawyer L, Dunlap J, Jessen J. Planar cell polarity proteins differentially regulate extracellular matrix organization and assembly during zebrafish gastrulation. Dev Biol. 2013;383:39-51 pubmed publisher..Together, our results demonstrate that zebrafish Vangl2/Prickle1a and non-canonical Wnt/Frizzled signaling have opposing effects on ECM organization underlying PCP and gastrulation cell movements...
- Li M, Page McCaw P, Chen W. FGF1 Mediates Overnutrition-Induced Compensatory Î²-Cell Differentiation. Diabetes. 2016;65:96-109 pubmed publisher..Thus, the recently discovered antidiabetes function of FGF1 may act partially through increasing Î²-cell differentiation. ..
- Liu D, Wang W, Melville D, Cha Y, Yin Z, Issaeva N, et al. Tumor suppressor Lzap regulates cell cycle progression, doming, and zebrafish epiboly. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:1613-25 pubmed publisher..These functions provide further insight into Lzap activity that may contribute not only to development, but also to tumor formation. ..
- Kucenas S, Snell H, Appel B. nkx2.2a promotes specification and differentiation of a myelinating subset of oligodendrocyte lineage cells in zebrafish. Neuron Glia Biol. 2008;4:71-81 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Nkx2.2 promotes timely specification and differentiation of myelinating oligodendrocyte lineage cells from species representing different vertebrate taxa. ..
- Jessen J, Topczewski J, Bingham S, Sepich D, Marlow F, Chandrasekhar A, et al. Zebrafish trilobite identifies new roles for Strabismus in gastrulation and neuronal movements. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:610-5 pubmed..We propose Trilobite/Stbm mediates cellular interactions that confer directionality on distinct movements during vertebrate embryogenesis. ..
- Park H, Mehta A, Richardson J, Appel B. olig2 is required for zebrafish primary motor neuron and oligodendrocyte development. Dev Biol. 2002;248:356-68 pubmed..One possibility consistent with these data is that Hedgehog signaling, partly by inducing olig2 expression, specifies neural precursor cells that have potential for primary motor neuron or oligodendrocyte fate. ..
- Wilm T, Solnica Krezel L. Radar breaks the fog: insights into dorsoventral patterning in zebrafish. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:4363-5 pubmed
- Williams B, Cantrell V, Mundell N, Bennett A, Quick R, Jessen J. VANGL2 regulates membrane trafficking of MMP14 to control cell polarity and migration. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:2141-7 pubmed publisher..Our findings implicate matrix metalloproteinases as downstream effectors of PCP and suggest a broadly applicable mechanism whereby VANGL2 affects diverse morphogenetic processes. ..
- Topczewska J, Topczewski J, Solnica Krezel L, Hogan B. Sequence and expression of zebrafish foxc1a and foxc1b, encoding conserved forkhead/winged helix transcription factors. Mech Dev. 2001;100:343-7 pubmed..Early expression of foxc1a in the paraxial mesoderm is modified in chordino, swirl, somitabun, and spadetail mutants. ..
- Sarmah B, Latimer A, Appel B, Wente S. Inositol polyphosphates regulate zebrafish left-right asymmetry. Dev Cell. 2005;9:133-45 pubmed..Our data suggest that the pathway for inositol hexakisphosphate production is a key regulator of asymmetric Ca(2+) flux during LR specification. ..