Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on schizosaccharomyces pombe proteins in Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Locale: Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Topic: schizosaccharomyces pombe proteins
- Wolfe B, McDonald W, Yates J, Gould K. Phospho-regulation of the Cdc14/Clp1 phosphatase delays late mitotic events in S. pombe. Dev Cell. 2006;11:423-30 pubmed..These findings point to a simple regulatory circuit that couples Cdk1 activation with its inactivation mediated through phosphorylation-dependent regulation of Clp1/Flp1 phosphatase activity. ..
- Wolfe B, Gould K. Fission yeast Clp1p phosphatase affects G2/M transition and mitotic exit through Cdc25p inactivation. EMBO J. 2004;23:919-29 pubmed..This may be a widely conserved mechanism whereby Cdc14 proteins contribute to Cdk1p inactivation. ..
- An H, Morrell J, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Requirements of fission yeast septins for complex formation, localization, and function. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:5551-64 pubmed..This study establishes the functional requirements for septin complex organization in vivo. ..
- Johnson A, Chen J, Gould K. CK1 is required for a mitotic checkpoint that delays cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1920-6 pubmed publisher..Like Dma1, CK1 accumulates at SPBs during a mitotic arrest and associates stably with SPB components, including Sid4. Our results establish CK1 as an integral component of a mitotic, ubiquitin-mediated checkpoint pathway. ..
- Clifford D, Wolfe B, Roberts Galbraith R, McDonald W, Yates J, Gould K. The Clp1/Cdc14 phosphatase contributes to the robustness of cytokinesis by association with anillin-related Mid1. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:79-88 pubmed publisher..Our evidence indicates that Clp1/Flp1 must interact with the Mid1 scaffold to ensure the fidelity of Schizosaccharomyces pombe cytokinesis. ..
- Ohi M, Vander Kooi C, Rosenberg J, Ren L, Hirsch J, Chazin W, et al. Structural and functional analysis of essential pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp19p. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:451-60 pubmed..These structural and functional data provide a basis for understanding the role of Prp19p as a key architectural component of the NTC. ..
- Mehta S, Gould K. Identification of functional domains within the septation initiation network kinase, Cdc7. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9935-41 pubmed..We found that a region adjacent to the kinase domain is responsible for Spg1 association and identified an overlapping but distinct SPB localization domain. In addition Cdc7 associates with itself and exists as a dimer in vivo. ..
- Morrell Falvey J, Ren L, Feoktistova A, Haese G, Gould K. Cell wall remodeling at the fission yeast cell division site requires the Rho-GEF Rgf3p. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5563-73 pubmed..Rgf3p appears necessary to stimulate Rho1p-mediated activation of a glucan synthase crucial after septation for proper new cell-end formation. ..
- Berry L, Gould K. Fission yeast dim1(+) encodes a functionally conserved polypeptide essential for mitosis. J Cell Biol. 1997;137:1337-54 pubmed..Based on TBZ sensitivity and failed chromosome segregation in dim1-35, we further speculate that Dim1p may play a role in mitotic spindle formation and/or function. ..
- Krawchuk M, DeVeaux L, Wahls W. Meiotic chromosome dynamics dependent upon the rec8(+), rec10(+) and rec11(+) genes of the fission yeast Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Genetics. 1999;153:57-68 pubmed..A model of synergistic interactions between sister chromatid cohesion and crossover position suggests how crossovers and cohesion help ensure the proper segregation of chromosomes in each of the meiotic divisions. ..
- Venkatram S, Tasto J, Feoktistova A, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Identification and characterization of two novel proteins affecting fission yeast gamma-tubulin complex function. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2287-301 pubmed..This study expands the known roles of gamma-tubulin complex components in organizing different types of microtubule structures in S. pombe...
- Balasubramanian M, Feoktistova A, McCollum D, Gould K. Fission yeast Sop2p: a novel and evolutionarily conserved protein that interacts with Arp3p and modulates profilin function. EMBO J. 1996;15:6426-37 pubmed..Collectively these data demonstrate the interaction of Sop2p with Arp3p, profilin and actin. ..
- Kon N, Schroeder S, Krawchuk M, Wahls W. Regulation of the Mts1-Mts2-dependent ade6-M26 meiotic recombination hot spot and developmental decisions by the Spc1 mitogen-activated protein kinase of fission yeast. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:7575-83 pubmed..Meiotic recombination hot spot function is likely the result of DNA conformational changes imparted by binding of the Mts1-Mts2 meiotic transcription factor. ..
- Furge K, Cheng Q, Jwa M, Shin S, Song K, Albright C. Regions of Byr4, a regulator of septation in fission yeast, that bind Spg1 or Cdc16 and form a two-component GTPase-activating protein with Cdc16. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:11339-43 pubmed..A region of Byr4 that bound Spg1, SBS4, and the region that bound Cdc16, Cdc16-binding site, was necessary and sufficient to form Cdc16-dependent Spg1GAP activity that was similar to that of wild-type Byr4 with Cdc16. ..
- Bohnert K, Chen J, Clifford D, Vander Kooi C, Gould K. A link between aurora kinase and Clp1/Cdc14 regulation uncovered by the identification of a fission yeast borealin-like protein. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:3646-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study characterizes a fission yeast Borealin homologue and reveals a previously unrecognized connection between the CPC and the process of cytokinesis in S. pombe. ..
- Song K, Mach K, Chen C, Reynolds T, Albright C. A novel suppressor of ras1 in fission yeast, byr4, is a dosage-dependent inhibitor of cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:1307-19 pubmed..A slower migrating byr4 protein was found in cells with a mutation in the beta-tubulin gene, which arrests cells at the metaphase-anaphase transition. ..
- McDonald N, Vander Kooi C, Ohi M, Gould K. Oligomerization but Not Membrane Bending Underlies the Function of Certain F-BAR Proteins in Cell Motility and Cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2015;35:725-36 pubmed publisher..F-BAR oligomerization is also critical for Fer and RhoGAP4 physiological function, demonstrating its broad importance to F-BAR proteins that function without membrane bending. ..
- McDonald W, Ohi R, Smelkova N, Frendewey D, Gould K. Myb-related fission yeast cdc5p is a component of a 40S snRNP-containing complex and is essential for pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5352-62 pubmed..These data raise the possibility that the cdc5p complex is an intermediate in the assembly or disassembly of an active S. pombe spliceosome. ..
- Broadus M, Gould K. Multiple protein kinases influence the redistribution of fission yeast Clp1/Cdc14 phosphatase upon genotoxic stress. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:4118-28 pubmed publisher..This work advances our understanding of pathways influencing Clp1 localization and may provide insight into mechanisms controlling Cdc14B phosphatases in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Li C, Furge K, Cheng Q, Albright C. Byr4 localizes to spindle-pole bodies in a cell cycle-regulated manner to control Cdc7 localization and septation in fission yeast. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:14381-7 pubmed..Byr4 localization to SPBs was decreased in spg1, cdc16, sid4, and cdc11 mutants as well as in several mutants that affect medial F-actin structures, suggesting that multiple pathways regulate Byr4 localization to SPBs. ..
- Gould K, Feoktistova A, Fleig U. A phosphorylation site mutant of Schizosaccharomyces pombe cdc2p fails to promote the metaphase to anaphase transition. Mol Gen Genet. 1998;259:437-48 pubmed..Overexpression of suc1+ suppresses the effects of T167 E overproduction by restoring sufficient amounts of suc1p to the cell to allow passage through mitosis. ..
- Snider C, Willet A, Chen J, ArpaÄŸ G, Zanic M, Gould K. Phosphoinositide-mediated ring anchoring resists perpendicular forces to promote medial cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3041-3050 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that proper PM lipid composition is important to stabilize the central position of the CR and resist myosin V-based forces to promote the fidelity of cell division. ..
- Kon N, Krawchuk M, Warren B, Smith G, Wahls W. Transcription factor Mts1/Mts2 (Atf1/Pcr1, Gad7/Pcr1) activates the M26 meiotic recombination hotspot in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:13765-70 pubmed..pombe genome, suggesting that these factors help regulate the timing and distribution of homologous recombination. ..
- Balasubramanian M, Hirani B, Burke J, Gould K. The Schizosaccharomyces pombe cdc3+ gene encodes a profilin essential for cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 1994;125:1289-301 pubmed..We attribute these effects to potential sequestration of actin monomers by profilin, when present in excess. ..
- Yoon H, Feoktistova A, Chen J, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Role of Hcn1 and its phosphorylation in fission yeast anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome function. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32284-93 pubmed..Phosphorylation of Hcn1 occurs at a single Cdk1 site in vitro and in vivo. Mutation of this site to alanine, but not aspartic acid, compromises APC/C function and leads to a specific defect in the completion of cell division. ..
- Beckley J, Chen J, Yang Y, Peng J, Gould K. A Degenerate Cohort of Yeast Membrane Trafficking DUBs Mediates Cell Polarity and Survival. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015;14:3132-41 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal the complexity of interplay among these enzymes, providing a foundation for understanding DUB biology and providing another example of how cells utilize degeneracy to improve survival. ..
- Venkatram S, Jennings J, Link A, Gould K. Mto2p, a novel fission yeast protein required for cytoplasmic microtubule organization and anchoring of the cytokinetic actin ring. Mol Biol Cell. 2005;16:3052-63 pubmed..Our results suggest that the Mto2p and the EMTOC are critical for anchoring the cytokinetic actin ring to the medial region of the cell and for proper coordination of mitosis with cytokinesis. ..
- Mach K, Cheng Q, Albright C. ras1 and pat1 alleles interact to quantitatively and qualitatively alter conjugation in fission yeast. Curr Genet. 1998;34:172-82 pubmed..We hypothesize that this delay causes an elevated pheromone response and thus suppression of the mating defect of the ras1-D43E mutant by pat1-e1. ..
- Burns C, Ohi R, Mehta S, O TOOLE E, Winey M, Clark T, et al. Removal of a single alpha-tubulin gene intron suppresses cell cycle arrest phenotypes of splicing factor mutations in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:801-15 pubmed
- Feoktistova A, McCollum D, Ohi R, Gould K. Identification and characterization of Schizosaccharomyces pombe asp1(+), a gene that interacts with mutations in the Arp2/3 complex and actin. Genetics. 1999;152:895-908 pubmed..Moreover, the vip1 disruption strain showed a negative genetic interaction with a las17Delta strain. We conclude that Asp1p/Vip1p is important for the function of the cortical actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Rosenberg J, Tomlin G, McDonald W, Snydsman B, Muller E, Yates J, et al. Ppc89 links multiple proteins, including the septation initiation network, to the core of the fission yeast spindle-pole body. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:3793-805 pubmed..Ppc89 overproduction is lethal, resulting primarily in a G2 arrest accompanied by massive enlargement of the SPB and increased SPB MT nucleation. These results suggest a fundamental role for Ppc89 in organization of the S. pombe SPB. ..
- Bohnert K, Grzegorzewska A, Willet A, Vander Kooi C, Kovar D, Gould K. SIN-dependent phosphoinhibition of formin multimerization controls fission yeast cytokinesis. Genes Dev. 2013;27:2164-77 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings identify a SIN-triggered oligomeric switch that modulates cytokinetic formin function, revealing a novel mechanism of actin cytoskeleton regulation during cell division. ..
- Berry L, Feoktistova A, Wright M, Gould K. The schizosaccharomyces pombe dim1(+) gene interacts with the anaphase-promoting complex or cyclosome (APC/C) component lid1(+) and is required for APC/C function. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:2535-46 pubmed..These data suggest that at least one role of dim1p is to maintain or establish the steady-state level of the APC/C. ..
- Mullins C, Meyer H, Hartmann E, Green N, Fang H. Structurally related Spc1p and Spc2p of yeast signal peptidase complex are functionally distinct. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:29094-9 pubmed
- Petit C, Mehta S, Roberts R, Gould K. Ace2p contributes to fission yeast septin ring assembly by regulating mid2+ expression. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:5731-42 pubmed..Ace2p localizes symmetrically to dividing nuclei and functions independently of the septation initiation network. ..
- Bauman P, Cheng Q, Albright C. The Byr2 kinase translocates to the plasma membrane in a Ras1-dependent manner. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;244:468-74 pubmed..This uneven membrane localization depended upon regions of the Byr2 regulatory domain, in addition to those required for Ras1 binding, suggesting that these Byr2 domains participate in protein-protein interactions. ..
- Ohi R, Feoktistova A, McCann S, Valentine V, Look A, Lipsick J, et al. Myb-related Schizosaccharomyces pombe cdc5p is structurally and functionally conserved in eukaryotes. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:4097-108 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that Cdc5 family members participate in a novel pathway to regulate G2/M progression. ..
- Kouranti I, McLean J, Feoktistova A, Liang P, Johnson A, Roberts Galbraith R, et al. A global census of fission yeast deubiquitinating enzyme localization and interaction networks reveals distinct compartmentalization profiles and overlapping functions in endocytosis and polarity. PLoS Biol. 2010;8: pubmed publisher..These studies provide a framework for dissecting DUB signaling pathways in S. pombe and may shed light on DUB functions in metazoans. ..
- Ohi M, Gould K. Characterization of interactions among the Cef1p-Prp19p-associated splicing complex. RNA. 2002;8:798-815 pubmed..Further, our data indicate that a mutation in the U-box of Prp19p disrupts these numerous protein interactions causing Cef1p degradation and Ntc instability. ..
- Chang L, Gould K. Sid4p is required to localize components of the septation initiation pathway to the spindle pole body in fission yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:5249-54 pubmed..Our data indicate that Sid4p SPB localization is a prerequisite for the execution of the Spg1p signaling cascade. ..
- Adhikary S, Cato M, McGary K, Rokas A, Eichman B. Non-productive DNA damage binding by DNA glycosylase-like protein Mag2 from Schizosaccharomyces pombe. DNA Repair (Amst). 2013;12:196-204 pubmed publisher..This work provides novel insight into the chemical and physical determinants by which the HhH glycosylases engage DNA in a catalytically productive manner. ..
- Tomlin G, Morrell J, Gould K. The spindle pole body protein Cdc11p links Sid4p to the fission yeast septation initiation network. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1203-14 pubmed..The N-terminus of Cdc11p is required for Spg1p binding to SPBs. Our studies indicate that Cdc11p provides a physical link between Sid4p and the Spg1p signaling pathway. ..
- Morrell J, Morphew M, Gould K. A mutant of Arp2p causes partial disassembly of the Arp2/3 complex and loss of cortical actin function in fission yeast. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:4201-15 pubmed..Analysis of the mutant Arp2 protein demonstrated defects in ATP and Arp3p binding, suggesting a possible model for disruption of the complex. ..
- Johnson A, McCollum D, Gould K. Polar opposites: Fine-tuning cytokinesis through SIN asymmetry. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2012;69:686-99 pubmed publisher..In this review, we highlight recent advances in our understanding of SIN regulation, with an emphasis on how SIN asymmetry is achieved and how this aspect of SIN regulation fine-tunes cytokinesis. ..
- Chen J, Broadus M, McLean J, Feoktistova A, Ren L, Gould K. Comprehensive proteomics analysis reveals new substrates and regulators of the fission yeast clp1/cdc14 phosphatase. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2013;12:1074-86 pubmed publisher..Finally, a handful of proteins were more abundant in wild type Clp1-TAP versus Clp1-C286S-TAP, suggesting that they may directly regulate Clp1 signaling or serve as scaffolding platforms to localize Clp1 activity...
- Furge K, Wong K, Armstrong J, Balasubramanian M, Albright C. Byr4 and Cdc16 form a two-component GTPase-activating protein for the Spg1 GTPase that controls septation in fission yeast. Curr Biol. 1998;8:947-54 pubmed..Byr4 and Cdc16 form a two-component GAP for the Spg1 GTPase. Byr4 and Cdc16 appear to negatively regulate septation in S. pombe by modulating the nucleotide state of Spg1 possibly in a spatially or temporally controlled manner. ..
- Sarmah B, Wente S. Dual functions for the Schizosaccharomyces pombe inositol kinase Ipk1 in nuclear mRNA export and polarized cell growth. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:134-46 pubmed publisher..This suggested novel roles for asp1(+) upstream of ipk1(+). We propose that IP(6) production is a key signaling linchpin for regulating multiple essential cellular processes. ..
- Balasubramanian M, McCollum D, Chang L, Wong K, Naqvi N, He X, et al. Isolation and characterization of new fission yeast cytokinesis mutants. Genetics. 1998;149:1265-75 pubmed..In addition, we have characterized a phenotype that has not been described previously in cytokinesis mutants, namely the failure to reorganize actin patches to the medial region of the cell in preparation for septum formation. ..
- Carnahan R, Gould K. The PCH family protein, Cdc15p, recruits two F-actin nucleation pathways to coordinate cytokinetic actin ring formation in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:851-62 pubmed..We propose a model in which Cdc15p plays a critical role in recruiting and coordinating the pathways essential for the assembly of medially located F-actin filaments and construction of the CAR. ..
- Morrell J, Tomlin G, Rajagopalan S, Venkatram S, Feoktistova A, Tasto J, et al. Sid4p-Cdc11p assembles the septation initiation network and its regulators at the S. pombe SPB. Curr Biol. 2004;14:579-84 pubmed..Our results suggest that the Sid4p-Cdc11p complex organizes a signaling hub on the SPB and that this hub coordinates cell and nuclear division. ..
- Mach K, Furge K, Albright C. Loss of Rhb1, a Rheb-related GTPase in fission yeast, causes growth arrest with a terminal phenotype similar to that caused by nitrogen starvation. Genetics. 2000;155:611-22 pubmed..If this hypothesis is correct, then Rhb1 and Ras1 regulate alternative responses to limiting nutrients. ..