Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neoplasm metastasis in Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Locale: Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Topic: neoplasm metastasis
- Yardley D. Visceral disease in patients with metastatic breast cancer: efficacy and safety of treatment with ixabepilone and other chemotherapeutic agents. Clin Breast Cancer. 2010;10:64-73 pubmed publisher..Responses to ixabepilone in patients with visceral metastases were comparable to those observed in overall study patient populations. ..
- Haake S, Brooks S, Welsh E, Fulp W, Chen D, Dhillon J, et al. Patients with ClearCode34-identified molecular subtypes of clear cell renal cell carcinoma represent unique populations with distinct comorbidities. Urol Oncol. 2016;34:122.e1-7 pubmed publisher..Additionally, use of angiotensin system inhibitors could be studied in the context of ccRCC molecular classification in future studies to better understand its effect on ccRCC outcomes. ..
- Mellerio J, Robertson S, Bernardis C, Diem A, Fine J, George R, et al. Management of cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma in patients with epidermolysis bullosa: best clinical practice guidelines. Br J Dermatol. 2016;174:56-67 pubmed publisher..The guidelines are intended to help inform decision making by clinicians dealing with this complex complication of a devastating disease. ..
- Hansen A, Arnold S, Jiang M, Palmer T, Ketova T, Merkel A, et al. ALCAM/CD166 is a TGF-Î²-responsive marker and functional regulator of prostate cancer metastasis to bone. Cancer Res. 2014;74:1404-15 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that the ALCAM is both a functional regulator as well as marker of prostate cancer progression. ..
- Cuneo K, Fu A, Osusky K, Geng L. Effects of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor inhibitor SU5416 and prostacyclin on murine lung metastasis. Anticancer Drugs. 2007;18:349-55 pubmed..001). In conclusion, SU5416 and prostacyclin effectively attenuated metastasis formation in this model. DiI labeling is an effective technique to monitor the temporal and spatial distribution of metastatic cells. ..
- Pecot C, Rupaimoole R, Yang D, Akbani R, Ivan C, Lu C, et al. Tumour angiogenesis regulation by the miR-200 family. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2427 pubmed publisher..The role of miR-200 in blocking cancer angiogenesis in a cancer-dependent context defines its utility as a potential therapeutic agent. ..
- Kasper S, Smith J. Genetically modified mice and their use in developing therapeutic strategies for prostate cancer. J Urol. 2004;172:12-9 pubmed..Integrating mouse studies with human clinical trials would ensure that mechanisms that promote prostate cancer are identified and potential therapeutic targets are validated. ..
- Osusky K, Hallahan D, Fu A, Ye F, Shyr Y, Geng L. The receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor SU11248 impedes endothelial cell migration, tubule formation, and blood vessel formation in vivo, but has little effect on existing tumor vessels. Angiogenesis. 2004;7:225-33 pubmed..These findings suggest that the greatest role for VEGF antagonists may be to prevent the formation of new blood vessels, during and after conventional therapy is given to existing neoplastic disease. ..
- Yang L, Edwards C, Mundy G. Gr-1+CD11b+ myeloid-derived suppressor cells: formidable partners in tumor metastasis. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:1701-6 pubmed publisher..They also have a potential role in the osteolysis associated with bone metastases. They are formidable partners in tumor metastasis. ..
- Perez C, Fu A, Onishko H, Hallahan D, Geng L. Radiation induces an antitumour immune response to mouse melanoma. Int J Radiat Biol. 2009;85:1126-36 pubmed publisher..The present study suggests that neoadjuvant irradiation of cutaneous melanoma tumours prior to surgical resection can stimulate an endogenous anti-melanoma host immune response. ..
- Stathopoulos G, Sherrill T, Han W, Sadikot R, Yull F, Blackwell T, et al. Host nuclear factor-kappaB activation potentiates lung cancer metastasis. Mol Cancer Res. 2008;6:364-71 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we identify resident lung macrophages as crucial effectors of lung susceptibility to metastatic cancer growth. We conclude that NF-kappaB activity in host tissue is a significant factor in the development of lung metastasis. ..
- Mazzocca A, Carloni V. The metastatic process: methodological advances and pharmacological challenges. Curr Med Chem. 2009;16:1704-17 pubmed..Agents that limit any phase of the metastatic process may be therapeutically useful. Therefore, the future pharmacological challenge will be to combine drugs that target different aspects of this complex multistep process. ..
- Reynolds A, Carnahan R. Regulation of cadherin stability and turnover by p120ctn: implications in disease and cancer. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2004;15:657-63 pubmed..Thus, it is possible that the classic observation of E-cadherin-deficiency in metastatic cancer may in some cases be due to p120 downregulation rather than better understood mechanisms acting at the level of E-cadherin transcription. ..
- McCawley L, Matrisian L. Matrix metalloproteinases: multifunctional contributors to tumor progression. Mol Med Today. 2000;6:149-56 pubmed..Based on studies in animal models implicating MMP activity in cancer, synthetic MMP inhibitors are currently being tested in a clinical setting. ..
- Goldenring J. A central role for vesicle trafficking in epithelial neoplasia: intracellular highways to carcinogenesis. Nat Rev Cancer. 2013;13:813-20 pubmed publisher..Targeting of these fundamental intracellular processes may permit the manipulation of cancer cell behaviour. ..
- Sosman J, Kim K, Schuchter L, Gonzalez R, Pavlick A, Weber J, et al. Survival in BRAF V600-mutant advanced melanoma treated with vemurafenib. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:707-14 pubmed publisher..In this study with a long follow-up, the median overall survival was approximately 16 months. (Funded by Hoffmann-La Roche; ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00949702.). ..
- Thu Y, Su Y, Yang J, Splittgerber R, Na S, Boyd A, et al. NF-?B inducing kinase (NIK) modulates melanoma tumorigenesis by regulating expression of pro-survival factors through the ?-catenin pathway. Oncogene. 2012;31:2580-92 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that NIK mediates both ?-catenin and NF-?B regulated transcription to modulate melanoma survival and growth. Thus, NIK may be a promising therapeutic target for melanoma. ..
- Wang S, Shin I, Wu F, Friedman D, Arteaga C. HER2/Neu (ErbB2) signaling to Rac1-Pak1 is temporally and spatially modulated by transforming growth factor beta. Cancer Res. 2006;66:9591-600 pubmed..Thus, by recruiting the actin skeleton, TGF-beta "cross-links" this signaling complex at cell lamellipodia; this prolongs Rac1 activation and increases metastatic properties and survival of HER2-overexpressing cells. ..
- Owens P, Pickup M, Novitskiy S, Chytil A, Gorska A, Aakre M, et al. Disruption of bone morphogenetic protein receptor 2 (BMPR2) in mammary tumors promotes metastases through cell autonomous and paracrine mediators. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:2814-9 pubmed publisher..BMP was shown to directly regulate CCL9 expression. We conclude that BMPR2 has tumor-suppressive function in mammary epithelia and microenvironment and that disruption can accelerate mammary carcinoma metastases. ..
- Hainsworth J, Infante J, Spigel D, Arrowsmith E, Boccia R, Burris H. A phase II trial of panobinostat, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in the treatment of patients with refractory metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Invest. 2011;29:451-5 pubmed publisher..Panobinostat was generally well-tolerated. Panobinostat had no activity in this group of patients with refractory renal carcinoma. Further development of panobinostat in renal carcinoma is not recommended. ..
- Boutte A, Friedman D, Bogyo M, Min Y, Yang L, Lin P. Identification of a myeloid-derived suppressor cell cystatin-like protein that inhibits metastasis. FASEB J. 2011;25:2626-37 pubmed publisher..The finding suggests that malignant tumors promote invasion/metastasis not only through up-regulation of proteases but also down-regulation of protease inhibitors. ..
- Ramirez N, Zhang Z, Madamanchi A, Boyd K, O Rear L, Nashabi A, et al. The ???? integrin is a metastasis suppressor in mouse models and human cancer. J Clin Invest. 2011;121:226-37 pubmed publisher..Thus, the ?2?1 integrin functionally inhibits breast tumor metastasis, and ?2 expression may serve as an important biomarker of metastatic potential and patient survival. ..
- Rosenberg J, Hoffman Censits J, Powles T, Van Der Heijden M, Balar A, Necchi A, et al. Atezolizumab in patients with locally advanced and metastatic urothelial carcinoma who have progressed following treatment with platinum-based chemotherapy: a single-arm, multicentre, phase 2 trial. Lancet. 2016;387:1909-20 pubmed publisher..F Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. ..
- Fang W, Brantley Sieders D, Parker M, Reith A, Chen J. A kinase-dependent role for EphA2 receptor in promoting tumor growth and metastasis. Oncogene. 2005;24:7859-68 pubmed..Taken together, these results suggest that receptor phosphorylation and kinase activity of the EphA2 receptor, at least in part, contribute to tumor malignancy. ..
- Alamanda V, Crosby S, Archer K, Song Y, Schwartz H, Holt G. Primary excision compared with re-excision of extremity soft tissue sarcomas--is anything new?. J Surg Oncol. 2012;105:662-7 pubmed publisher..Survival advantages previously reported with STS re-excision serve as proxy for tumors that have a better survival profile. ..
- Infante J, Bendell J, Goff L, Jones S, Chan E, Sudo T, et al. Safety, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the anti-A33 fully-human monoclonal antibody, KRN330, in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2013;49:1169-75 pubmed publisher..Dosing on alternate weeks is supported by tumour binding. The long treatment durations and lack of immunogenicity warrant further investigation of KRN330 in combination. ..
- Bailey C, Mittal M, Misra S, Chaudhuri G. High motility of triple-negative breast cancer cells is due to repression of plakoglobin gene by metastasis modulator protein SLUG. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:19472-86 pubmed publisher..Forced expression of plakoglobin in SLUG-high cells had the reverse effects on cellular motility. This study thus implicates SLUG-induced repression of plakoglobin as a motility determinant in highly disseminating breast cancer. ..
- Muraoka Cook R, Kurokawa H, Koh Y, Forbes J, Roebuck L, Barcellos Hoff M, et al. Conditional overexpression of active transforming growth factor beta1 in vivo accelerates metastases of transgenic mammary tumors. Cancer Res. 2004;64:9002-11 pubmed..Therefore, induction and/or activation of TGF-beta in hosts with established TGF-beta-responsive cancers can rapidly accelerate metastatic progression. ..
- Yang L, Huang J, Ren X, Gorska A, Chytil A, Aakre M, et al. Abrogation of TGF beta signaling in mammary carcinomas recruits Gr-1+CD11b+ myeloid cells that promote metastasis. Cancer Cell. 2008;13:23-35 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that Gr-1+CD11b+ cells contribute to TGFbeta-mediated metastasis through enhancing tumor cell invasion and metastasis. ..
- Yardley D, Daniel D, Stipanov M, Drosick D, Mainwaring M, Peyton J, et al. A phase II trial of oxaliplatin and trastuzumab in the treatment of HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Invest. 2010;28:865-71 pubmed publisher..8 months). Substitution of oxaliplatin for cisplatin or carboplatin, in combination with trastuzumab, does not appear to improve first-/second-line therapy in HER2-positive MBC. ..
- Liedtke A, Adeniji A, Chen M, Byrns M, Jin Y, Christianson D, et al. Development of potent and selective indomethacin analogues for the inhibition of AKR1C3 (Type 5 17?-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/prostaglandin F synthase) in castrate-resistant prostate cancer. J Med Chem. 2013;56:2429-46 pubmed publisher..The AKR1C3·NADP(+)·2'-des-methyl-indomethacin crystal structure was determined, and it revealed a unique inhibitor binding mode. The compounds reported are promising agents for the development of therapeutics for CRPC. ..
- Anastasiadis P, Reynolds A. Regulation of Rho GTPases by p120-catenin. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:604-10 pubmed..The observations in these reports provide important new clues toward p120's mechanism of action and provide a potential explanation for the metastatic phenotype exhibited in carcinoma cells that have lost E cadherin expression. ..
- ..Optimal strategies for incorporating aflibercept into treatment regimens that include other anti-VEGF and cytotoxic chemotherapeutic agents, as well as development of predictive biomarkers for treatment response, have yet to be defined. ..
- Qu S, Long J, Cai Q, Shu X, Cai H, Gao Y, et al. Genetic polymorphisms of metastasis suppressor gene NME1 and breast cancer survival. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:4787-93 pubmed publisher..Promoter polymorphisms in the NME1 gene may alter its expression and influence breast cancer survival. ..
- Kam Y, Guess C, Estrada L, Weidow B, Quaranta V. A novel circular invasion assay mimics in vivo invasive behavior of cancer cell lines and distinguishes single-cell motility in vitro. BMC Cancer. 2008;8:198 pubmed publisher..The broad implication of this work is the development of a reproducible, quantifiable, high-resolution method that can be applied to various models, to include an unlimited number of parameters and/or agents that may influence invasion. ..
- Brantley Sieders D, Zhuang G, Hicks D, Fang W, Hwang Y, Cates J, et al. The receptor tyrosine kinase EphA2 promotes mammary adenocarcinoma tumorigenesis and metastatic progression in mice by amplifying ErbB2 signaling. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:64-78 pubmed..Moreover, EphA2 function in tumor progression appeared to depend on oncogene context, an important consideration for the application of therapies targeting EphA2...
- Ueda Y, Su Y, Richmond A. CCAAT displacement protein regulates nuclear factor-kappa beta-mediated chemokine transcription in melanoma cells. Melanoma Res. 2007;17:91-103 pubmed..This study contributes to our understanding of the role of CDP in an enhanceosome of NF-kappaB-mediated chemokine transcription in human melanoma cells. ..
- Dhawan P, Singh A, Deane N, No Y, Shiou S, Schmidt C, et al. Claudin-1 regulates cellular transformation and metastatic behavior in colon cancer. J Clin Invest. 2005;115:1765-76 pubmed..We further provide data suggesting that the regulation of E-cadherin expression and beta-catenin/Tcf signaling is a possible mechanism underlying claudin-1-dependent changes. ..
- Shu X, Zheng Y, Cai H, Gu K, Chen Z, Zheng W, et al. Soy food intake and breast cancer survival. JAMA. 2009;302:2437-43 pubmed publisher..Among women with breast cancer, soy food consumption was significantly associated with decreased risk of death and recurrence. ..
- Tran T, Barlow B, O Rear L, Jarvis B, Li Z, Dickeson K, et al. Loss of the ?2?1 integrin alters human papilloma virus-induced squamous carcinoma progression in vivo and in vitro. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26858 pubmed publisher..Although contributions of the integrin to the microenvironment cannot be excluded, our studies indicate that ?2?1 integrin expression by HPV-transformed keratinocytes modulates SCC growth and progression. ..
- Baselga J, Im S, Iwata H, Cortes J, De Laurentiis M, Jiang Z, et al. Buparlisib plus fulvestrant versus placebo plus fulvestrant in postmenopausal, hormone receptor-positive, HER2-negative, advanced breast cancer (BELLE-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:904-916 pubmed publisher..No further studies are being pursued because of the toxicity associated with this combination. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation. ..
- Johnson M, Powell S, Boyer P, Weil R, Moots P. Dural lesions mimicking meningiomas. Hum Pathol. 2002;33:1211-26 pubmed..Awareness that these lesions involve the dura may facilitate intraoperative recognition and, in some cases, preclude unnecessary additional surgery. ..
- Beeghly Fadiel A, Shu X, Long J, Li C, Cai Q, Cai H, et al. Genetic polymorphisms in the MMP-7 gene and breast cancer survival. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:208-14 pubmed publisher..9) and TT (OS HR: 0.3, 95% CI: 0.1-0.8) fared better than patients with AA (p-value for trend: 0.001). Thus, common MMP-7 genetic polymorphisms were found to be significant determinants of survival among Chinese women with breast cancer. ..
- Yang L, Huang Y, Porta R, Yanagisawa K, Gonzalez A, Segi E, et al. Host and direct antitumor effects and profound reduction in tumor metastasis with selective EP4 receptor antagonism. Cancer Res. 2006;66:9665-72 pubmed..Selective antagonism of the EP4 receptor may thus represent a novel therapeutic approach for the treatment of cancer and especially its propensity to metastasize. ..
- Tu W, Thomas T, Masumori N, Bhowmick N, Gorska A, Shyr Y, et al. The loss of TGF-beta signaling promotes prostate cancer metastasis. Neoplasia. 2003;5:267-77 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates for the first time that a disruption of TGF-beta signaling in prostate cancer plays a causal role in promoting tumor metastasis. ..
- Yardley D. Activity of ixabepilone in patients with metastatic breast cancer with primary resistance to taxanes. Clin Breast Cancer. 2008;8:487-92 pubmed publisher..The clinical results support the hypothesis that ixabepilone can overcome or circumvent primary mechanisms of resistance to taxanes and other chemotherapeutic agents. ..
- Thoreson M, Reynolds A. Altered expression of the catenin p120 in human cancer: implications for tumor progression. Differentiation. 2002;70:583-9 pubmed..Moreover, in some cases p120 loss appears to be an early event in tumor progression, possibly preceding loss of E-cadherin. Potential roles of p120 as a tumor suppressor or metastasis promoter are discussed. ..
- Brantley Sieders D, Fang W, Hicks D, Zhuang G, Shyr Y, Chen J. Impaired tumor microenvironment in EphA2-deficient mice inhibits tumor angiogenesis and metastatic progression. FASEB J. 2005;19:1884-6 pubmed..These data suggest that host EphA2 receptor tyrosine kinase function is required in the tumor microenvironment for tumor angiogenesis and metastatic progression. ..
- Muraoka Cook R, Shin I, Yi J, Easterly E, Barcellos Hoff M, Yingling J, et al. Activated type I TGFbeta receptor kinase enhances the survival of mammary epithelial cells and accelerates tumor progression. Oncogene. 2006;25:3408-23 pubmed
- Buchanan F, Gorden D, Matta P, Shi Q, Matrisian L, DuBois R. Role of beta-arrestin 1 in the metastatic progression of colorectal cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:1492-7 pubmed..Furthermore, our data implicate a functional role for beta-arrestin 1 as a mediator of cellular migration and metastasis. ..
- Stathopoulos G, Sherrill T, Han W, Sadikot R, Polosukhin V, Fingleton B, et al. Use of bioluminescent imaging to investigate the role of nuclear factor-kappaBeta in experimental non-small cell lung cancer metastasis. Clin Exp Metastasis. 2008;25:43-51 pubmed..In conclusion, using bioluminescent detection of NF-kappaB activation in mouse lug adenocarcinoma cells, we found a negative impact of p65/RelA on NSCLC metastasis. ..
- Li J, Wu F, Masaki T, Kubo A, Fujita J, Dixon D, et al. Correlation of Skp2 with carcinogenesis, invasion, metastasis, and prognosis in colorectal tumors. Int J Oncol. 2004;25:87-95 pubmed..Thus, overexpression of Skp2 is associated with colorectal carcinogenesis and late metastasis to lymph nodes, whereas relative reduction of Skp2 is correlated with local invasion of primary carcinoma. ..
- Gobbi H, Simpson J, Jensen R, Olson S, Page D. Metaplastic spindle cell breast tumors arising within papillomas, complex sclerosing lesions, and nipple adenomas. Mod Pathol. 2003;16:893-901 pubmed..Spindle cell metaplastic tumors, from fibromatosis-like to fibrosarcoma, may arise within a variety of fibrosclerotic breast lesions. ..
- Xue C, Plieth D, Venkov C, Xu C, Neilson E. The gatekeeper effect of epithelial-mesenchymal transition regulates the frequency of breast cancer metastasis. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3386-94 pubmed
- Muraoka R, Dumont N, Ritter C, Dugger T, Brantley D, Chen J, et al. Blockade of TGF-beta inhibits mammary tumor cell viability, migration, and metastases. J Clin Invest. 2002;109:1551-9 pubmed..Therefore, blockade of TGF-beta signaling may reduce tumor cell viability and migratory potential and represents a testable therapeutic approach against metastatic carcinomas. ..
- Halder S, Beauchamp R, Datta P. A specific inhibitor of TGF-beta receptor kinase, SB-431542, as a potent antitumor agent for human cancers. Neoplasia. 2005;7:509-21 pubmed
- Yardley D, Ismail Khan R, Melichar B, Lichinitser M, Munster P, Klein P, et al. Randomized phase II, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of exemestane with or without entinostat in postmenopausal women with locally recurrent or metastatic estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer progressing on treatment with a nonsteroidal ar. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:2128-35 pubmed publisher..Acetylation changes may provide an opportunity to maximize clinical benefit with entinostat. Plans for a confirmatory study are underway. ..