Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on mitochondria in Memphis, Tennessee, United States
Locale: Memphis, Tennessee, United States
- Joo J, Dorsey F, Joshi A, Hennessy Walters K, Rose K, McCastlain K, et al. Hsp90-Cdc37 chaperone complex regulates Ulk1- and Atg13-mediated mitophagy. Mol Cell. 2011;43:572-85 pubmed publisher..These findings establish a direct pathway that integrates Ulk1- and Atg13-directed mitophagy with the stress response coordinated by Hsp90 and Cdc37. ..
- Ulrich D, Lynch J, Wang Y, Fukuda Y, Nachagari D, Du G, et al. ATP-dependent mitochondrial porphyrin importer ABCB6 protects against phenylhydrazine toxicity. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:12679-90 pubmed publisher..However, under extreme demand for porphyrins (e.g. phenylhydrazine stress), these adaptations appear inadequate, which suggests that under these conditions Abcb6 is important for optimal survival...
- Alfonso Pecchio A, Garcia M, Leonardi R, Jackowski S. Compartmentalization of mammalian pantothenate kinases. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e49509 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that PanK isoforms are differentially compartmentalized allowing them to sense CoA homeostasis in different cellular compartments and enable interaction with regulatory ligands produced in these same locations. ..
- Yang K, Neale G, Green D, He W, Chi H. The tumor suppressor Tsc1 enforces quiescence of naive T cells to promote immune homeostasis and function. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:888-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Tsc1-dependent control of mTOR is crucial in actively maintaining the quiescence of naive T cells to facilitate adaptive immune function. ..
- Zhang J, Ney P. Autophagy-dependent and -independent mechanisms of mitochondrial clearance during reticulocyte maturation. Autophagy. 2009;5:1064-5 pubmed..We propose that there are two mechanisms of mitochondrial clearance: one that is triggered by mitochondrial depolarization, and a second NIX-dependent mechanism, which is not. The NIX-dependent mechanism remains to be elucidated. ..
- Zhang J, Loyd M, Randall M, Waddell M, Kriwacki R, Ney P. A short linear motif in BNIP3L (NIX) mediates mitochondrial clearance in reticulocytes. Autophagy. 2012;8:1325-32 pubmed publisher..These findings support an adaptor model of BNIP3L, centered on the MER. ..
- Zhang J, Ney P. Reticulocyte mitophagy: monitoring mitochondrial clearance in a mammalian model. Autophagy. 2010;6:405-8 pubmed..This process depends on the mitochondrial protein NIX, is partially dependent on autophagy, and is independent of mitochondrial depolarization. Here we describe the use of reticulocytes to study mitochondrial clearance. ..
- Makena P, Gorantla V, Ghosh M, Bezawada L, Balazs L, Luellen C, et al. Lung injury caused by high tidal volume mechanical ventilation and hyperoxia is dependent on oxidant-mediated c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase activation. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011;111:1467-76 pubmed publisher..NAC protects lung injury and apoptosis by inhibiting ROS-mediated activation of JNK and downstream proapoptotic signaling...
- Perciavalle R, Stewart D, Koss B, Lynch J, Milasta S, Bathina M, et al. Anti-apoptotic MCL-1 localizes to the mitochondrial matrix and couples mitochondrial fusion to respiration. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:575-83 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into how the surprisingly diverse salutary functions of MCL-1 may control the survival of both normal and cancer cells. ..
- Zhang J, Randall M, Loyd M, Dorsey F, Kundu M, Cleveland J, et al. Mitochondrial clearance is regulated by Atg7-dependent and -independent mechanisms during reticulocyte maturation. Blood. 2009;114:157-64 pubmed publisher..This suggests that mitochondrial depolarization is a consequence rather than a cause of autophagosome formation in reticulocytes. ..
- Zhang J, Ney P. NIX induces mitochondrial autophagy in reticulocytes. Autophagy. 2008;4:354-6 pubmed..Rather, NIX is required for the selective incorporation of mitochondria into autophagosomes. Elucidation of the mechanism of this effect will improve our understanding of the role of autophagy in the maintenance of cellular homeostasis...
- Jin S, Ray R, Johnson L. TNF-alpha/cycloheximide-induced apoptosis in intestinal epithelial cells requires Rac1-regulated reactive oxygen species. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;294:G928-37 pubmed publisher..Lastly, all ROS inhibitors inhibited caspase-3 activity. Thus these results indicate that TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis requires Rac1-dependent ROS production in intestinal epithelial cells. ..
- Nassr M, Wang X, Mitra S, Freeman Anderson N, Patil R, Yates C, et al. Treating retinoblastoma in tissue culture and in a rat model with a novel isoquinoline derivative. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2010;51:3813-9 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSIONS. EDL-155 appears to eliminate retinoblastoma cells by disrupting mitochondria and inducing autophagy. Local delivery of EDL-155 may be an effective therapy for some types of ocular cancers...
- Wang Y, George S, Srinivasan K, Patnaik S, Khurana S. Actin reorganization as the molecular basis for the regulation of apoptosis in gastrointestinal epithelial cells. Cell Death Differ. 2012;19:1514-24 pubmed publisher..Our study provides a molecular basis for the regulation of apoptosis in the GI epithelium and identifies cell biological mechanisms that couple changes in actin dynamics to apoptotic cell death. ..
- Pelletier S, Gingras S, Howell S, Vogel P, Ihle J. An early onset progressive motor neuron disorder in Scyl1-deficient mice is associated with mislocalization of TDP-43. J Neurosci. 2012;32:16560-73 pubmed publisher..Together, our results identify SCYL1 as a key regulator of motor neuron survival, and Scyl1(-/-) mice share pathological features with many human neurodegenerative conditions. ..
- Schweers R, Zhang J, Randall M, Loyd M, Li W, Dorsey F, et al. NIX is required for programmed mitochondrial clearance during reticulocyte maturation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19500-5 pubmed..These results yield insight into the mechanism of mitochondrial clearance in higher eukaryotes. Furthermore, they show a BAX- and BAK-independent role for a BCL2-related protein in development. ..
- Yi A, Yoon H, Park J, Kim B, Kim H, Martinez Hernandez A. CpG DNA-mediated induction of acute liver injury in D-galactosamine-sensitized mice: the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway-dependent death of hepatocytes. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:15001-12 pubmed
- Clark S, Fee B, Cleveland J. Misexpression of the eyes absent family triggers the apoptotic program. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:3560-7 pubmed..fmk, suggesting that mitochondria are a major target in Eya-induced apoptosis. These results support the concept that inappropriate changes in the steady state levels of Eya proteins may trigger programmed cell deaths during development. ..
- Perciavalle R, Opferman J. Delving deeper: MCL-1's contributions to normal and cancer biology. Trends Cell Biol. 2013;23:22-9 pubmed publisher..MCL-1 is highly amplified in human cancer, suggesting that these functions may contribute to malignant cell growth and evasion of apoptosis. ..
- Petak I, Vernes R, Szucs K, Anozie M, Izeradjene K, Douglas L, et al. A caspase-8-independent component in TRAIL/Apo-2L-induced cell death in human rhabdomyosarcoma cells. Cell Death Differ. 2003;10:729-39 pubmed
- Ulett G, Maclean K, Nekkalapu S, Cleveland J, Adderson E. Mechanisms of group B streptococcal-induced apoptosis of murine macrophages. J Immunol. 2005;175:2555-62 pubmed..Furthermore, inhibition of caspase-3 impaired GBS-induced apoptosis of macrophages. The ability to modulate the activity of effector caspases may therefore represent an unexploited avenue for therapeutic intervention in GBS infections. ..
- Gao Y, Katyal S, Lee Y, Zhao J, Rehg J, Russell H, et al. DNA ligase III is critical for mtDNA integrity but not Xrcc1-mediated nuclear DNA repair. Nature. 2011;471:240-4 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our data reveal that the critical biological role of Lig3 is to maintain mtDNA integrity and not Xrcc1-dependent DNA repair. ..
- Kim N, Tresse E, Kolaitis R, Molliex A, Thomas R, Alami N, et al. VCP is essential for mitochondrial quality control by PINK1/Parkin and this function is impaired by VCP mutations. Neuron. 2013;78:65-80 pubmed publisher..Further, VCP and its adaptor Npl4/Ufd1 are required for clearance of damaged mitochondria via the PINK1/Parkin pathway, and this is impaired by pathogenic mutations in VCP. ..
- d Azzo A, Tessitore A, Sano R. Gangliosides as apoptotic signals in ER stress response. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:404-14 pubmed..We discuss how these events elicit an apoptotic program that ultimately leads to cell death. Owing to interorganelle crosstalk, these events are not necessarily self-contained, and gangliosides may serve as the common factor. ..
- Cook G, Park E. Expression and regulation of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-Ialpha and -Ibeta genes. Am J Med Sci. 1999;318:43-8 pubmed..Multiple transcripts of both CPT-Ialpha and CPT-Ibeta exist, some of which may have roles in regulating fatty acid oxidation. ..
- Green D, Kroemer G. Cytoplasmic functions of the tumour suppressor p53. Nature. 2009;458:1127-30 pubmed publisher..An emerging area of research unravels additional activities of p53 in the cytoplasm, where it triggers apoptosis and inhibits autophagy. These previously unknown functions contribute to the mission of p53 as a tumour suppressor. ..
- Alami N, Smith R, Carrasco M, Williams L, Winborn C, Han S, et al. Axonal transport of TDP-43 mRNA granules is impaired by ALS-causing mutations. Neuron. 2014;81:536-543 pubmed publisher..Thus, TDP-43 mutations that cause ALS lead to partial loss of a novel cytoplasmic function of TDP-43. ..
- Lupfer C, Thomas P, Anand P, Vogel P, Milasta S, Martinez J, et al. Receptor interacting protein kinase 2-mediated mitophagy regulates inflammasome activation during virus infection. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:480-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate a role for NOD2-RIPK2 signaling in protection against virally triggered immunopathology by negatively regulating activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome and production of IL-18 via ULK1-dependent mitophagy. ..
- Slominski A, Kim T, Chen J, Nguyen M, Li W, Yates C, et al. Cytochrome P450scc-dependent metabolism of 7-dehydrocholesterol in placenta and epidermal keratinocytes. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2012;44:2003-18 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, tissues expressing P450scc can metabolize 7DHC to biologically active 7DHP with 22(OH)7DHC and 20,22(OH)(2)7DHC serving as intermediates, and with further metabolism to 7-dehydroprogesterone and (OH)7DHP...
- Zhang Y, Li F, Patterson A, Wang Y, Krausz K, Neale G, et al. Abcb11 deficiency induces cholestasis coupled to impaired ?-fatty acid oxidation in mice. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:24784-94 pubmed publisher..These metabolic changes precede cholestasis but may be of relevance to cholestatic disease progression because altered fatty acid metabolism can enhance reactive oxygen species that might exacerbate cholestatic liver damage...
- Valentin Vega Y, Maclean K, Tait Mulder J, Milasta S, Steeves M, Dorsey F, et al. Mitochondrial dysfunction in ataxia-telangiectasia. Blood. 2012;119:1490-500 pubmed publisher..Thus, ataxia-telangiectasia should be considered, at least in part, as a mitochondrial disease. ..
- Green D, Galluzzi L, Kroemer G. Mitochondria and the autophagy-inflammation-cell death axis in organismal aging. Science. 2011;333:1109-12 pubmed publisher..Thus, a combination of mitochondrial dysfunction and insufficient autophagy may contribute to multiple aging-associated pathologies. ..
- Tait S, Green D. Mitochondria and cell death: outer membrane permeabilization and beyond. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2010;11:621-32 pubmed publisher..MOMP typically leads to cell death irrespective of caspase activity by causing a progressive decline in mitochondrial function, although cells can survive this under certain circumstances, which may have pathophysiological consequences. ..
- Zhang J, Kundu M, Ney P. Mitophagy in mammalian cells: the reticulocyte model. Methods Enzymol. 2009;452:227-45 pubmed publisher..Here we describe several methods for monitoring mitochondrial clearance and autophagy in reticulocytes, and show that in reticulocytes these processes require genes involved in both nonselective and selective autophagy. ..
- Slominski A, Semak I, Zjawiony J, Wortsman J, Li W, Szczesniewski A, et al. The cytochrome P450scc system opens an alternate pathway of vitamin D3 metabolism. FEBS J. 2005;272:4080-90 pubmed..Additional vitamin D3 metabolites arise from the action of other enzymes in adrenal mitochondria. These findings appear to define novel metabolic pathways involving vitamin D3 that remain to be characterized. ..
- Slominski A, Zjawiony J, Wortsman J, Semak I, Stewart J, Pisarchik A, et al. A novel pathway for sequential transformation of 7-dehydrocholesterol and expression of the P450scc system in mammalian skin. Eur J Biochem. 2004;271:4178-88 pubmed..This novel pathway has the potential to generate a variety of molecules depending on local steroidogenic activity and access to UVB. ..
- Nilsson J, Cleveland J. Myc pathways provoking cell suicide and cancer. Oncogene. 2003;22:9007-21 pubmed..The precise mechanism(s) by which Myc targets these pathways are largely unresolved, but we propose that they involve crosstalk and feedback regulatory loops between arbiters of cell death. ..