Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on drosophila melanogaster in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Locale: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Topic: drosophila melanogaster
- Bhaskara S, Chandrasekharan M, Ganguly R. Caffeine induction of Cyp6a2 and Cyp6a8 genes of Drosophila melanogaster is modulated by cAMP and D-JUN protein levels. Gene. 2008;415:49-59 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that D-jun acts as a negative regulator, and caffeine induction of Cyp6a8 and Cyp6a2 genes is mediated by the upregulation of cAMP pathway and downregulation of the D-JUN protein level. ..
- Choi S, Lee G, Monahan P, Park J. Spatial regulation of Corazonin neuropeptide expression requires multiple cis-acting elements in Drosophila melanogaster. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1184-95 pubmed publisher..melanogaster genome, drives reporter expression in the DL and vCrz neurons, suggesting that regulatory mechanisms for Crz expression in at least two such neuronal groups are conserved between the two species...
- Lee G, Bahn J, Park J. Sex- and clock-controlled expression of the neuropeptide F gene in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12580-5 pubmed..Based on these data, we propose that NPF also plays a role in clock-controlled sexual dimorphism in adult Drosophila. ..
- Kuruganti S, Lam V, Zhou X, Bennett G, Pittendrigh B, Ganguly R. High expression of Cyp6g1, a cytochrome P450 gene, does not necessarily confer DDT resistance in Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 2007;388:43-53 pubmed..We conclude a strain may not have to have Accord insertion in the Cyp6g1 gene and the Cyp6g1 itself may not have to be overexpressed for DDT resistance to occur. ..
- Krishnan R, Swanson K, Ganguly R. Dosage compensation of a retina-specific gene in Drosophila miranda. Chromosoma. 1991;100:125-33 pubmed..miranda.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Yan R, Thomas S, Tsai J, Yamada Y, McKee B. SOLO: a meiotic protein required for centromere cohesion, coorientation, and SMC1 localization in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:335-49 pubmed publisher..The solo mutant phenotypes and the localization patterns of SOLO and SMC1 indicate that they function together to maintain sister chromatid cohesion in Drosophila meiosis...
- Thomas S, Soltani Bejnood M, Roth P, Dorn R, Logsdon J, McKee B. Identification of two proteins required for conjunction and regular segregation of achiasmate homologs in Drosophila male meiosis. Cell. 2005;123:555-68 pubmed..SNM and MNM do not colocalize with SMC1, suggesting that the homolog conjunction mechanism is independent of cohesin...
- Ganguly R, Swanson K, Ray K, Krishnan R. A BamHI repeat element is predominantly associated with the degenerating neo-Y chromosome of Drosophila miranda but absent in the Drosophila melanogaster genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:1340-4 pubmed..melanogaster transposable elements. This repeat, named the NY element, may be involved in gene disruption and the process of degenerative evolution of the neo-Y chromosome. ..
- Lee G, Kim K, Kikuno K, Wang Z, Choi Y, Park J. Developmental regulation and functions of the expression of the neuropeptide corazonin in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Tissue Res. 2008;331:659-73 pubmed..Thus, the tissue-, stage-, and sex-specific expression of Crz and the association of Crz with the function of the retrocerebral complex suggest diverse roles for this neuropeptide in Drosophila. ..
- Stapleton W, Das S, McKee B. A role of the Drosophila homeless gene in repression of Stellate in male meiosis. Chromosoma. 2001;110:228-40 pubmed..We conclude that hls functions along with Su(Ste) and other recently described genes to repress the Stellate locus in spermatocytes, and that it may also play a role in repressing certain other repeated sequences. ..
- Ray K, Ganguly R. Organization and expression of the Drosophila melanogaster D-G gamma 1 gene encoding the G-protein gamma subunit. Gene. 1994;148:315-9 pubmed..3-kb RNA is 190-nt longer than that of the other two RNAs, due to the utilization of an 3' alternative splice site.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Lee G, Kikuno K, Bahn J, Kim K, Park J. Dopamine D2 receptor as a cellular component controlling nocturnal hyperactivities in Drosophila melanogaster. Chronobiol Int. 2013;30:443-59 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that fruit flies are an excellent model system to provide some answers to previously unexplainable observations regarding the compromised dopaminergic nervous system and the related therapeutic agents. ..
- Lee G, Park J. Hemolymph sugar homeostasis and starvation-induced hyperactivity affected by genetic manipulations of the adipokinetic hormone-encoding gene in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:311-23 pubmed..From these findings, we propose another role for AKH in the regulation of starvation-induced foraging behavior. ..
- Maitra S, Price C, Ganguly R. Cyp6a8 of Drosophila melanogaster: gene structure, and sequence and functional analysis of the upstream DNA. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2002;32:859-70 pubmed
- Ren X, Eisenhour L, Hong C, Lee Y, McKee B. Roles of rDNA spacer and transcription unit-sequences in X-Y meiotic chromosome pairing in Drosophila melanogaster males. Chromosoma. 1997;106:29-36 pubmed..These data indicate that 240 bp repeats are considerably more effective than other regions of the rDNA in stimulating chromosome pairing. ..