Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on phosphorylation in Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Locale: Providence, Rhode Island, United States
- Boylan J, Anand P, Gruppuso P. Ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation and function during late gestation liver development in the rat. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:44457-63 pubmed..We conclude that hepatocyte proliferation in the late gestation fetus is supported by a rapamycin-resistant mechanism that can function independently of ribosomal protein S6 phosphorylation. ..
- Cao L, Ding Y, Hung N, Yu K, Ritz A, Raphael B, et al. Quantitative phosphoproteomics reveals SLP-76 dependent regulation of PAG and Src family kinases in T cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46725 pubmed publisher..Altogether our data suggests unique modes of regulation of positive and negative feedback pathways in T cells by SLP-76, reconfirming its central role in the pathway. ..
- Daley J, Brancato S, Thomay A, Reichner J, Albina J. The phenotype of murine wound macrophages. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:59-67 pubmed..Wound macrophages exhibit a complex phenotype,which includes traits associated with alternative and classical activation and changes as the wound matures.The wound macrophage phenotype does not require IL-4 or IL-13. ..
- Megeath L, Kirber M, Hopf C, Hoch W, Fallon J. Calcium-dependent maintenance of agrin-induced postsynaptic specializations. Neuroscience. 2003;122:659-68 pubmed..These findings suggest an avenue by which postsynaptic stability can be regulated by modification of intracellular signaling pathways that are distinct from those used during synapse formation. ..
- Gu Z, Kordowska J, Williams G, Wang C, Hai C. Erk1/2 MAPK and caldesmon differentially regulate podosome dynamics in A7r5 vascular smooth muscle cells. Exp Cell Res. 2007;313:849-66 pubmed..These results suggest that Erk1/2 and caldesmon differentially modulate PKC-mediated formation and/or dynamics of podosomes in A7r5 vascular smooth muscle cells. ..
- Albina J, Mastrofrancesco B, Reichner J. Acyl phosphatase activity of NO-inhibited glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH): a potential mechanism for uncoupling glycolysis from ATP generation in NO-producing cells. Biochem J. 1999;341 ( Pt 1):5-9 pubmed..These cellular alterations could be explained by the uncoupling of glycolytic flux from substrate level phosphorylation by the acyl phosphatase activity of NO-modified GAPDH. ..
- Dancheck B, Nairn A, Peti W. Detailed structural characterization of unbound protein phosphatase 1 inhibitors. Biochemistry. 2008;47:12346-56 pubmed publisher..Together, these interactions enable potent and selective inhibition of PP1. ..
- Wen S, So Y, Singh K, Slingerland J, Resnick M, Zhang S, et al. Promotion of cytoplasmic mislocalization of p27 by Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer. Oncogene. 2012;31:1771-80 pubmed publisher..Cytoplasmic mislocalization of p27 induced by H. pylori may be an important mechanistic link between H. pylori infection and gastric carcinogenesis. ..
- Du J, Chen Q, Takemori H, Xu H. SIK2 can be activated by deprivation of nutrition and it inhibits expression of lipogenic genes in adipocytes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008;16:531-8 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, SIK2 also reduces the nuclear translocation of endogenous SREBP-1. Our results support a role for SIK2 in adipocyte energy metabolism. SIK2 may function similarly to AMPK for turning off lipogenesis in low-energy state. ..
- Mori K, Giovannone B, Smith R. Distinct Grb10 domain requirements for effects on glucose uptake and insulin signaling. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2005;230:39-50 pubmed
- Ragusa M, Dancheck B, Critton D, Nairn A, Page R, Peti W. Spinophilin directs protein phosphatase 1 specificity by blocking substrate binding sites. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2010;17:459-64 pubmed publisher..Thus, our work provides the molecular basis for the ability of spinophilin to dictate PP1 substrate specificity. ..
- Khamzina L, Gruppuso P, Wands J. Insulin signaling through insulin receptor substrate 1 and 2 in normal liver development. Gastroenterology. 2003;125:572-85 pubmed..However, insulin-mediated IRS-1/MAPK cascade activation contributes to growth in the adult. ..
- Moen E, Wen S, Anwar T, Cross Knorr S, Brilliant K, Birnbaum F, et al. Regulation of RKIP function by Helicobacter pylori in gastric cancer. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e37819 pubmed publisher..In addition, H. pylori infection increases the expression of Snail, a transcriptional repressor of RKIP. Our results suggest that H. pylori utilizes a tumor suppressor protein, RKIP, to promote apoptosis in gastric cancer cells. ..
- Cross Knorr S, Lu S, Perez K, Guevara S, Brilliant K, Pisano C, et al. RKIP phosphorylation and STAT3 activation is inhibited by oxaliplatin and camptothecin and are associated with poor prognosis in stage II colon cancer patients. BMC Cancer. 2013;13:463 pubmed publisher..Therefore, these results suggest that STAT3 and pRKIP may serve as prognostic biomarkers in stage II colon cancer patients and may improve chemotherapy. ..
- Chen J, Parsons S, Brautigan D. Tyrosine phosphorylation of protein phosphatase 2A in response to growth stimulation and v-src transformation of fibroblasts. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:7957-62 pubmed..The results show that PP2A is phosphorylated in intact cells, and the extent of this modification is increased by growth factors or cell transformation, providing evidence for a physiological mechanism of PP2A regulation. ..
- Bai M, Grieshaber Bouyer R, Wang J, Schmider A, Wilson Z, Zeng L, et al. CD177 modulates human neutrophil migration through activation-mediated integrin and chemoreceptor regulation. Blood. 2017;130:2092-2100 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CD177 signals in a ?2 integrin-dependent manner to orchestrate a set of activation-mediated mechanisms that impair human neutrophil migration. ..
- Ma J, Harnett K, Behar J, Biancani P, Cao W. Signaling in TRPV1-induced platelet activating factor (PAF) in human esophageal epithelial cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;298:G233-40 pubmed publisher..Thus epithelial cells produce PAF in response to TRPV1-mediated calcium elevation. ..
- Silbert O, Wang Y, Maciejewski B, Lee H, Shaw S, Sanchez Esteban J. Roles of RhoA and Rac1 on actin remodeling and cell alignment and differentiation in fetal type II epithelial cells exposed to cyclic mechanical stretch. Exp Lung Res. 2008;34:663-80 pubmed publisher..These studies suggest that RhoA and Rac1 regulate actin remodeling and cell alignment in fetal type II cells exposed to mechanical stretch. RhoA is a negative regulator of stretch-induced type II cell maturation. ..
- Critton D, Tortajada A, Stetson G, Peti W, Page R. Structural basis of substrate recognition by hematopoietic tyrosine phosphatase. Biochemistry. 2008;47:13336-45 pubmed publisher..g., Erk2, p38). Finally, we describe how this interaction of the KIM is sufficient for overcoming the otherwise weak interaction at the active site of KIM-PTPs. ..
- Pan W, Yang H, Cao C, Song X, Wallin B, Kivlin R, et al. AMPK mediates curcumin-induced cell death in CaOV3 ovarian cancer cells. Oncol Rep. 2008;20:1553-9 pubmed..Collectively, our data suggest that AMPK is a new molecular target of curcumin and AMPK activation partially contributes to the cytotoxic effect of curcumin in ovarian cancer cells. ..
- Chen J, Martin B, Brautigan D. Regulation of protein serine-threonine phosphatase type-2A by tyrosine phosphorylation. Science. 1992;257:1261-4 pubmed..Phosphorylation was catalyzed by p60v-src, p56lck, epidermal growth factor receptors, and insulin receptors. Transient deactivation of phosphatase 2A might enhance transmission of cellular signals through kinase cascades within cells. ..
- Brautigan D, Pinault F. Serine phosphorylation of protein tyrosine phosphatase (PTP1B) in HeLa cells in response to analogues of cAMP or diacylglycerol plus okadaic acid. Mol Cell Biochem. 1993;127-128:121-9 pubmed..Phosphorylation in this region of PTP1B, between the N-terminal catalytic domain and the C-terminal membrane localization segment, is proposed to regulate phosphatase activity. ..
- Gao L, Blair L, Salinas G, Needleman L, Marshall J. Insulin-like growth factor-1 modulation of CaV1.3 calcium channels depends on Ca2+ release from IP3-sensitive stores and calcium/calmodulin kinase II phosphorylation of the alpha1 subunit EF hand. J Neurosci. 2006;26:6259-68 pubmed..3 activity may subserve different cellular functions from CaV1.2 and, in particular, may be important in transducing signals initiated by excitatory neurotransmission. ..
- Ma J, Altomare A, Rieder F, Behar J, Biancani P, Harnett K. ATP: a mediator for HCl-induced TRPV1 activation in esophageal mucosa. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2011;301:G1075-82 pubmed publisher..Repeated application of HCl or of ATP causes upregulation of lyso-PAF AT in epithelial cells...
- Lee M, Choy W, Abid M. Direct sensing of endothelial oxidants by vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 and c-Src. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28454 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that prior to activating downstream c-Src-PI3K-Akt signaling pathway, VEGFR-2-c-Src axis requires an NADPH oxidase-derived ROS threshold in ECs. ..
- LeBlanc B, Iwata M, Mallon A, Rupasinghe C, Goebel D, Marshall J, et al. A cyclic peptide targeted against PSD-95 blocks central sensitization and attenuates thermal hyperalgesia. Neuroscience. 2010;167:490-500 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CN2097 is a small molecule peptide with putative anti-nociceptive effects that modulates physiologic phenomena related to central sensitization under conditions of chronic pain. ..
- Toyama T, Lee H, Koga H, Wands J, Kim M. Noncanonical Wnt11 inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma cell proliferation and migration. Mol Cancer Res. 2010;8:254-65 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a novel role for Wnt11 as a tumor suppressor during hepatocarcinogenesis because loss of expression promotes the malignant phenotype via both canonical and noncanonical Wnt signaling pathways. ..
- Neacsu O, Cleveland K, Xu H, Tchkonia T, Kirkland J, Boney C. IGF-I attenuates FFA-induced activation of JNK1 phosphorylation and TNF? expression in human subcutaneous preadipocytes. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21:1843-9 pubmed publisher..IGF-I attenuated FFA-induced JNK1 phosphorylation and TNF? expression through activation of AKT in human subcutaneous but not omental preadipocytes. ..
- Fordjour A, Harrington E. PKCdelta influences p190 phosphorylation and activity: events independent of PKCdelta-mediated regulation of endothelial cell stress fiber and focal adhesion formation and barrier function. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2009;1790:1179-90 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that while PKCdelta can regulate p190 activity, possibly at the FF and/or GTPase domains, the effect of PKCdelta inhibition on SF and FA and barrier dysfunction occurs through a pathway independent of p190. ..
- Goes F, Martin J. Hsp90 chaperone complexes are required for the activity and stability of yeast protein kinases Mik1, Wee1 and Swe1. Eur J Biochem. 2001;268:2281-9 pubmed
- Boylan J, Gruppuso P. D-type cyclins and G1 progression during liver development in the rat. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;330:722-30 pubmed..We speculate that the switch in D-type cyclins may be associated with the dependence on mitogenic signaling that develops as hepatocytes mature. ..
- Merle P, Kim M, Herrmann M, Gupte A, Lefrancois L, Califano S, et al. Oncogenic role of the frizzled-7/beta-catenin pathway in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Hepatol. 2005;43:854-62 pubmed..These observations suggest that upregulation of FZD7 receptors in association with activation of the canonical Wnt/beta-catenin pathway is a common molecular event in HCC. ..
- Cheng L, Pricolo V, Biancani P, Behar J. Overexpression of progesterone receptor B increases sensitivity of human colon muscle cells to progesterone. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;295:G493-502 pubmed publisher..These results are consistent with the hypothesis that overexpression of PGR-B contributes to the motility and signal transduction abnormalities observed in female patients with STC and normal serum levels of P4. ..
- Xu Y, Gray A, Hardie D, Uzun A, SHAW S, Padbury J, et al. A novel, de novo mutation in the PRKAG2 gene: infantile-onset phenotype and the signaling pathway involved. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2017;313:H283-H292 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest the mutation affects AMP-activated protein kinase activity, activates cell growth pathways, and results in cardiac hypertrophy, which can be reversed with rapamycin. ..
- Jiao P, Feng B, Li Y, He Q, Xu H. Hepatic ERK activity plays a role in energy metabolism. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2013;375:157-66 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that increased hepatic ERK activity in DIO mice may contribute to increased liver glycogen content and decreased energy expenditure in obesity. ..
- Bangi E, Wharton K. Dpp and Gbb exhibit different effective ranges in the establishment of the BMP activity gradient critical for Drosophila wing patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;295:178-93 pubmed..The existence of related ligands with different functional ranges may represent a conserved mechanism used in different species to generate robust long range activity gradients. ..
- Wu T, Hong Y, Wang X, Ling M, Dragoi A, Chung A, et al. SHP-2 is a dual-specificity phosphatase involved in Stat1 dephosphorylation at both tyrosine and serine residues in nuclei. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:47572-80 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that SHP-2 is a dual-specificity protein phosphatase involved in Stat1 dephosphorylation at both tyrosine and serine residues and plays an important role in modulating STAT function in gene regulation. ..
- Gong X, Tang X, Wiedmann M, Wang X, Peng J, Zheng D, et al. Cdk5-mediated inhibition of the protective effects of transcription factor MEF2 in neurotoxicity-induced apoptosis. Neuron. 2003;38:33-46 pubmed..Our studies reveal a nuclear pathway by which neurotoxin/Cdk5 induces neuronal apoptosis through inhibiting prosurvival nuclear machinery. ..
- Kerby M, Legge R, Tripathi A. Measurements of kinetic parameters in a microfluidic reactor. Anal Chem. 2006;78:8273-80 pubmed..The study provides a basis for appropriate use of mass-transfer and reaction arguments in successful application of enzymatic microreactors. ..
- Li Y, Nie Y, Helou Y, Ding G, Feng B, Xu G, et al. Identification of sucrose non-fermenting-related kinase (SNRK) as a suppressor of adipocyte inflammation. Diabetes. 2013;62:2396-409 pubmed publisher..In summary, SNRK may act as a suppressor of adipocyte inflammation and its presence is necessary for maintaining normal adipocyte function. ..
- He S, Liu N, Bayliss G, Zhuang S. EGFR activity is required for renal tubular cell dedifferentiation and proliferation in a murine model of folic acid-induced acute kidney injury. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;304:F356-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that EGFR activation is essential for initiation of renal tubular cell dedifferentiation and proliferation after AKI. ..
- He J, de la Monte S, Wands J. The p85beta regulatory subunit of PI3K serves as a substrate for PTEN protein phosphatase activity during insulin mediated signaling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;397:513-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the PTEN phosphatase is active against the PI3K p85beta subunit and dephosphorylates a protein involved in insulin signaling where known downstream consequences are increased cell migration, motility, and invasion. ..
- Tang X, Zhang Y, Tucker L, Ramratnam B. Phosphorylation of the RNase III enzyme Drosha at Serine300 or Serine302 is required for its nuclear localization. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:6610-9 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, mimicking phosphorylation status by mutating S?E at S300 and/or S?D at S302 restored nuclear localization. Our findings add a further layer of complexity to the molecular anatomy of Drosha as it relates to miRNA biogenesis. ..
- Perello M, Stuart R, Vaslet C, Nillni E. Cold exposure increases the biosynthesis and proteolytic processing of prothyrotropin-releasing hormone in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus via beta-adrenoreceptors. Endocrinology. 2007;148:4952-64 pubmed..In contrast, alpha-adrenoreceptors regulate TRH secretion but not proTRH biosynthesis and processing. Therefore, this study provides novel information on the molecular mechanisms of control of hypophysiotropic TRH biosynthesis. ..
- Yuan Z, Guan Y, Wang L, Wei W, Kane A, Chin Y. Central role of the threonine residue within the p+1 loop of receptor tyrosine kinase in STAT3 constitutive phosphorylation in metastatic cancer cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:9390-400 pubmed..These findings provide insight into Thr(p+1loop) residue in RTK autophosphorylation and constitutive activation of STAT3 in metastatic cancer cells. ..
- Yuan Z, Guan Y, Chatterjee D, Chin Y. Stat3 dimerization regulated by reversible acetylation of a single lysine residue. Science. 2005;307:269-73 pubmed
- Silverberg G, Miller M, Machan J, Johanson C, Caralopoulos I, Pascale C, et al. Amyloid and Tau accumulate in the brains of aged hydrocephalic rats. Brain Res. 2010;1317:286-96 pubmed publisher..As distinct from brain injury models, no increase in AbetaPP expression was demonstrated. Rather, altered CSF dynamics appears to impair Abeta clearance in this NPH model. ..
- Wang X, Tang X, Li M, Marshall J, Mao Z. Regulation of neuroprotective activity of myocyte-enhancer factor 2 by cAMP-protein kinase A signaling pathway in neuronal survival. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:16705-13 pubmed..This study identifies the transcription factor MEF2 as a target of cAMP-PKA pathway and demonstrates that PKA phosphorylation of MEF2 is a key step in modulating its DNA binding activity and ability to promote neuronal survival. ..
- Si J, Behar J, Wands J, Beer D, Lambeth D, Chin Y, et al. STAT5 mediates PAF-induced NADPH oxidase NOX5-S expression in Barrett's esophageal adenocarcinoma cells. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2008;294:G174-83 pubmed
- Hixon M, Boekelheide K. Expression and localization of total Akt1 and phosphorylated Akt1 in the rat seminiferous epithelium. J Androl. 2003;24:891-8 pubmed..Further analysis demonstrated this staining to be associated with the Golgi complex in both germ and Sertoli cells. ..
- Jaleel M, Tsai A, Sarkar S, Freedman P, Rubin L. Stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) signalling regulates human placental trophoblast cell survival. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004;10:901-9 pubmed..This chemotactic ligand/receptor system may promote trophoblast survival during pregnancy. Alterations in SDF-1 and/or CXCR4 expression or function may be associated with specific pregnancy disorders. ..
- Nguyen K, Watford W, Salomon R, Hofmann S, Pien G, Morinobu A, et al. Critical role for STAT4 activation by type 1 interferons in the interferon-gamma response to viral infection. Science. 2002;297:2063-6 pubmed..Thus, type 1 IFNs, in addition to interleukin-12, provide pathways for innate regulation of adaptive immunity, and their immunoregulatory functions are controlled by modulating the activity of individual STATs...
- Wen S, Moss S. Helicobacter pylori virulence factors in gastric carcinogenesis. Cancer Lett. 2009;282:1-8 pubmed publisher..Improved understanding of the pathogenesis of H. pylori-associated gastric cancer may improve risk stratification for prevention and therapy. ..
- Sabe A, Elmadhun N, Dalal R, Robich M, Sellke F. Resveratrol regulates autophagy signaling in chronically ischemic myocardium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;147:792-8; Discussion 798-9 pubmed publisher..Using a clinically relevant swine model of metabolic syndrome, we investigated the effects of resveratrol on autophagy in the chronically ischemic myocardium...
- Cao C, Huang X, Han Y, Wan Y, Birnbaumer L, Feng G, et al. Galpha(i1) and Galpha(i3) are required for epidermal growth factor-mediated activation of the Akt-mTORC1 pathway. Sci Signal. 2009;2:ra17 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study suggests that Galpha(i1) and Galpha(i3) lie downstream of EGFR, but upstream of Gab1-mediated activation of Akt and mTORC1, thus revealing a role for Galpha(i) proteins in mediating EGFR signaling. ..
- Kalkunte S, Brard L, Granai C, Swamy N. Inhibition of angiogenesis by vitamin D-binding protein: characterization of anti-endothelial activity of DBP-maf. Angiogenesis. 2005;8:349-60 pubmed..Understanding the cellular and molecular mechanisms of anti-endothelial activity of DBP-maf will allow us to develop it as an angiogenesis targeting novel drug for tumor therapy. ..
- Carter J, Tong M, Silbermann E, Lahousse S, Ding F, Longato L, et al. Ethanol impaired neuronal migration is associated with reduced aspartyl-asparaginyl-beta-hydroxylase expression. Acta Neuropathol. 2008;116:303-15 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic strategies to rectify CNS developmental abnormalities in FASD should target factors underlying the ethanol-associated increases in GSK-3beta and Caspase activation, e.g. IGF resistance and increased oxidative stress. ..