Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Locale: Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Publications337 found, 100 shown here
- Kalkunte S, Lai Z, Norris W, Pietras L, Tewari N, Boij R, et al. Novel approaches for mechanistic understanding and predicting preeclampsia. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;83:134-8 pubmed publisher..This review attempts to address some of these issues and discuss the signature biochemical serum factors and propose new and better ways to predict PE. ..
- Cong P, Pricolo V, Biancani P, Behar J. Effects of cholesterol on CCK-1 receptors and caveolin-3 proteins recycling in human gallbladder muscle. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010;299:G742-50 pubmed publisher..Caveolar cholesterol increases the caveolar sequestration of CAV-3 and CCK-1R caused by their reduced recycling to the PM. ..
- Singh K, Chao M, Somers G, Komatsu H, Corkins M, Larkins Ford J, et al. C. elegans Notch signaling regulates adult chemosensory response and larval molting quiescence. Curr Biol. 2011;21:825-34 pubmed publisher..elegans in response to environmental stress. Additionally, Notch signaling regulates sleep-like quiescence in C. elegans, suggesting that Notch may regulate sleep in other species. ..
- Saffarini C, Heger N, Yamasaki H, Liu T, Hall S, Boekelheide K. Induction and persistence of abnormal testicular germ cells following gestational exposure to di-(n-butyl) phthalate in p53-null mice. J Androl. 2012;33:505-13 pubmed publisher..This unique model identified a role for p53 in the perinatal apoptosis of DBP-induced MNGs and provided insight into the long-term effects of gestational DBP exposure within a p53-null environment...
- Mitchel J, Hoffman Kim D. Cellular scale anisotropic topography guides Schwann cell motility. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24316 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SC motility is complex, where persistent motion requires cellular asymmetry, and that anisotropic topography with cellular scale features can direct SC motility. ..
- de la Monte S, Derdak Z, Wands J. Alcohol, insulin resistance and the liver-brain axis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;27 Suppl 2:33-41 pubmed publisher..These observations are discussed in the context of insulin sensitizers as potential cytoprotective agents against liver and brain injury induced by alcohol. ..
- Guan Y, Chen Q, Yang X, Haines P, Pei M, Terek R, et al. Subcellular relocation of histone deacetylase 4 regulates growth plate chondrocyte differentiation through Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent kinase IV. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012;303:C33-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, CaMKIV plays an important regulatory role during chondrocyte differentiation. ..
- Woloszyn L, Sheinberg D. Effects of long-term visual experience on responses of distinct classes of single units in inferior temporal cortex. Neuron. 2012;74:193-205 pubmed publisher..This latter finding supports a potentially critical role of inhibitory neurons in detecting and initiating the cascade of events underlying adult neural plasticity in ITC. ..
- Larschan E, Soruco M, Lee O, Peng S, Bishop E, Chery J, et al. Identification of chromatin-associated regulators of MSL complex targeting in Drosophila dosage compensation. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002830 pubmed publisher..Identification of these factors provides new insight into how MSL complex establishes the specialized hyperactive chromatin required for dosage compensation in Drosophila. ..
- Mruczek R, Sheinberg D. Stimulus selectivity and response latency in putative inhibitory and excitatory neurons of the primate inferior temporal cortex. J Neurophysiol. 2012;108:2725-36 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that short-latency inhibitory responses are likely to sculpt visual processing in excitatory neurons, yielding a sparser visual representation. ..
- Hoff D, Sheikh L, Bhattacharya S, Nayar S, Webster T. Comparison study of ferrofluid and powder iron oxide nanoparticle permeability across the blood-brain barrier. Int J Nanomedicine. 2013;8:703-10 pubmed publisher..Such results lay the foundation for simple modification of iron oxide nanoparticle formulations to either promote or inhibit passage across the blood-brain barrier, and deserve further investigation for a wide range of applications. ..
- Karamchedu N, Tofte J, Waller K, Zhang L, Patel T, Jay G. Superficial zone cellularity is deficient in mice lacking lubricin: a stereoscopic analysis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2016;18:64 pubmed publisher..Absence of Prg4 induces loss of chondrocytes in the superficial and upper intermediate zone of mouse cartilage that is quantifiable by a novel image processing technique. ..
- Boney C, Fiedorek F, Paul S, Gruppuso P. Regulation of preadipocyte factor-1 gene expression during 3T3-L1 cell differentiation. Endocrinology. 1996;137:2923-8 pubmed..We conclude that Pref-1 expression is not a reliable marker of preadipocytes, and that decreased Pref-1 abundance does not function as a trigger for adipocyte differentiation. ..
- Goodglick L, Vaslet C, Messier N, Kane A. Growth factor responses and protooncogene expression of murine mesothelial cell lines derived from asbestos-induced mesotheliomas. Toxicol Pathol. 1997;25:565-73 pubmed..This murine model recapitulates the histopathology, growth factor responses, and protooncogene expression of human malignant mesotheliomas. ..
- Tsou K, Brown S, Sañudo Peña M, Mackie K, Walker J. Immunohistochemical distribution of cannabinoid CB1 receptors in the rat central nervous system. Neuroscience. 1998;83:393-411 pubmed..According to the location and morphology, many, but not all, CB1-like immunoreactive neurons appear to be GABAergic. Therefore, cannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors may play a role in modulating GABAergic neurons. ..
- Dalod M, Salazar Mather T, Malmgaard L, Lewis C, Asselin Paturel C, Briere F, et al. Interferon alpha/beta and interleukin 12 responses to viral infections: pathways regulating dendritic cell cytokine expression in vivo. J Exp Med. 2002;195:517-28 pubmed..They also illustrate the plasticity of cellular sources for innate cytokines in vivo and provide new insights into the roles of IFNs in shaping immune responses to viruses. ..
- Chodobski A, Chung I, Kozniewska E, Ivanenko T, Chang W, Harrington J, et al. Early neutrophilic expression of vascular endothelial growth factor after traumatic brain injury. Neuroscience. 2003;122:853-67 pubmed..Therefore, these findings suggest that VEGF plays an important role in promoting the formation of post-traumatic brain edema. ..
- Wang X, Liu P, Tang J. Tendon healing in vitro: genetic modification of tenocytes with exogenous PDGF gene and promotion of collagen gene expression. J Hand Surg Am. 2004;29:884-90 pubmed..We transferred the platelet-derived growth factor B (PDGF-B) gene to tenocytes and investigated its effects on the expression of the PDGF gene and the type I collagen gene in an in vitro tenocyte culture model...
- Hoffman Kim D, Maish M, Krueger P, Lukoff H, Bert A, Hong T, et al. Comparison of three myofibroblast cell sources for the tissue engineering of cardiac valves. Tissue Eng. 2005;11:288-301 pubmed..These data suggest that venous tissue, with its relative ease of accessibility, may generate myofibroblasts potentially useful for the interstitial cellular component of a tissue-engineered cardiac valve. ..
- Lippman J, Dunaevsky A. Dendritic spine morphogenesis and plasticity. J Neurobiol. 2005;64:47-57 pubmed..In many cases, spine morphogenesis, plasticity, and maintenance also depend on synaptic activity, as shown by recent studies demonstrating changes in spine dynamics and maintenance with altered sensory experience. ..
- Johnson L, Schofield L, Donahay T, Narula N, Narula J. 99mTc-annexin V imaging for in vivo detection of atherosclerotic lesions in porcine coronary arteries. J Nucl Med. 2005;46:1186-93 pubmed..Annexin is a noninvasive method to identify plaque apoptosis in the coronary vessels. ..
- Valles J, Maris H, Seidel G, Tang J, Yao W. Magnetic levitation-based Martian and Lunar gravity simulator. Adv Space Res. 2005;36:114-8 pubmed..It will have good optical access so that the organisms can be viewed in situ. This facility will be valuable for experimental observations and public demonstrations of systems in simulated reduced gravity. ..
- Ezeamama A, Friedman J, Olveda R, Acosta L, Kurtis J, Mor V, et al. Functional significance of low-intensity polyparasite helminth infections in anemia. J Infect Dis. 2005;192:2160-70 pubmed..We wanted to quantify the impact that polyparasite infections, including multiple concurrent low-intensity infections, have on anemia...
- Kanefsky J, Lenburg M, Hai C. Cholinergic receptor and cyclic stretch-mediated inflammatory gene expression in intact ASM. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2006;34:417-25 pubmed..These findings suggest that cyclic stretch regulates inflammatory gene expression in intact airway smooth muscle in an amplitude- and frequency-dependent manner by modulating the activity of L-type voltage-gated calcium channels. ..
- Coutinho H, Acosta L, Wu H, McGarvey S, Su L, Langdon G, et al. Th2 cytokines are associated with persistent hepatic fibrosis in human Schistosoma japonicum infection. J Infect Dis. 2007;195:288-95 pubmed..02, for all). These results suggest an independent role for Th2-biased cytokine responses to S. japonicum antigens in persistent hepatic fibrosis and indicate that Th2 cytokines may contribute to the male-biased prevalence of fibrosis. ..
- Flatt T, Heyland A, Rus F, Porpiglia E, Sherlock C, Yamamoto R, et al. Hormonal regulation of the humoral innate immune response in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:2712-24 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that 20E and JH play major roles in the regulation of gene expression in response to immune challenge. ..
- Wang P, Neretti N, Whitaker R, Hosier S, Chang C, Lu D, et al. Long-lived Indy and calorie restriction interact to extend life span. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:9262-7 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Indy and CR interact to affect longevity and that a decrease in Indy may induce a CR-like status that confers life span extension. ..
- Tseng A, Stabila J, McGonnigal B, Yano N, Yang M, Tseng Y, et al. Effect of disruption of Akt-1 of lin(-)c-kit(+) stem cells on myocardial performance in infarcted heart. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;87:704-12 pubmed publisher..These benefits were abrogated in MI mice receiving Akt-1(-/-) stem cells, suggesting the pivotal role of Akt-1 in mediating stem cells to protect MI hearts. ..
- Lee S, Cruikshank S, Connors B. Electrical and chemical synapses between relay neurons in developing thalamus. J Physiol. 2010;588:2403-15 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that thalamic relay neurons communicate primarily via electrical synapses during early postnatal development, and then lose their electrical coupling as a chemical synapse-mediated inhibitory circuit matures. ..
- Socha A, Tan N, LaPlante K, Sello J. Diversity-oriented synthesis of cyclic acyldepsipeptides leads to the discovery of a potent antibacterial agent. Bioorg Med Chem. 2010;18:7193-202 pubmed publisher..One ADEP 4 analog in which the pipecolate was replaced by 4-methyl pipecolate exhibited in vitro antibacterial activity against Enterococci that was fourfold higher than the parent compound. ..
- Jepson J, Savva Y, Yokose C, Sugden A, Sahin A, Reenan R. Engineered alterations in RNA editing modulate complex behavior in Drosophila: regulatory diversity of adenosine deaminase acting on RNA (ADAR) targets. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8325-37 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that network-wide temporal and spatial regulation of ADAR activity can tune the complex system of RNA-editing sites and modulate multiple ethologically relevant behavioral modalities. ..
- Lu Q, Rounds S. Focal adhesion kinase and endothelial cell apoptosis. Microvasc Res. 2012;83:56-63 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the signaling pathways of FAK in prevention of apoptosis and the role of FAK in mediating adenosine and homocysteine-induced endothelial cell apoptosis and in cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Derdak Z, Villegas K, Wands J. Early growth response-1 transcription factor promotes hepatic fibrosis and steatosis in long-term ethanol-fed Long-Evans rats. Liver Int. 2012;32:761-70 pubmed publisher..Long-term ethanol feeding promoted steatosis and fibrosis in LE rats via EGR1 activation. The highly abundant EGR1 bound to the SREBP1c promoter and contributed to the steatosis observed in the LE rat model. ..
- Terentyev D, Rochira J, Terentyeva R, Roder K, Koren G, Li W. Sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca²? release is both necessary and sufficient for SK channel activation in ventricular myocytes. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2014;306:H738-46 pubmed publisher..SK currents contribute to repolarization during action potentials and attenuate DADs driven by SCWs. Thus SK upregulation in HF may have an anti-arrhythmic effect by reducing triggered activity. ..
- Iqbal S, Leonard C, Regmi S, De Rantere D, Tailor P, Ren G, et al. Lubricin/Proteoglycan 4 binds to and regulates the activity of Toll-Like Receptors In Vitro. Sci Rep. 2016;6:18910 pubmed publisher..Lubricin plays an important role in regulating the inflammatory environment under both homeostatic and tissue injury states. ..
- Asaad W, Lauro P, Perge J, Eskandar E. Prefrontal Neurons Encode a Solution to the Credit-Assignment Problem. J Neurosci. 2017;37:6995-7007 pubmed publisher..In addition, we observed that this stability varied as a function of learning, such that the neural code was more reliable over time during early learning, when it was most needed. ..
- Rieder L, Koreski K, Boltz K, Kuzu G, Urban J, Bowman S, et al. Histone locus regulation by the Drosophila dosage compensation adaptor protein CLAMP. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1494-1508 pubmed publisher..Therefore, CLAMP binding to GA repeat motifs promotes the formation of two distinct domains of coordinated gene activation located at different places in the genome. ..
- Cserr H, Knopf P. Cervical lymphatics, the blood-brain barrier and the immunoreactivity of the brain: a new view. Immunol Today. 1992;13:507-12 pubmed..And third, the blood-brain barrier, by virtue of its selective permeability properties, contributes to the regulation of immunoregulatory cells and molecules in the brain cell microenvironment. ..
- Zaret K, Stevens K. Selection and analysis of galactose metabolic pathway variants of a mouse liver cell line. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:4582-9 pubmed..The isogenic liver cell lines described here can also serve as model systems for studying galactosemias, which are inherited disorders of galactose metabolism in humans. ..
- Malee M, Wu K. Corticosteroid dynamics in the nonpregnant, pregnant, and postpartum spontaneously hypertensive rat. Am J Hypertens. 2000;13:410-7 pubmed
- Tu M, Epstein D, Tatar M. The demography of slow aging in male and female Drosophila mutant for the insulin-receptor substrate homologue chico. Aging Cell. 2002;1:75-80 pubmed..Remarkably, in similarly sized cohorts of male and female ch1/ch1 and of male ch1/+ mortality deceleration is absent. Mortality deceleration is a phenotype of chico. ..
- Cao W, Cheng L, Behar J, Biancani P, Harnett K. IL-1beta signaling in cat lower esophageal sphincter circular muscle. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006;291:G672-80 pubmed..Both H(2)O(2) and PGE(2) production depend on sequential activation of p38 MAPK and cPLA(2). cPLA(2) activates NADPH oxidases, producing H(2)O(2), and may produce arachidonic acid, converted to PGE(2) via COX-2. ..
- Miyagi T, Gil M, Wang X, Louten J, Chu W, Biron C. High basal STAT4 balanced by STAT1 induction to control type 1 interferon effects in natural killer cells. J Exp Med. 2007;204:2383-96 pubmed
- Flatt T, Min K, D Alterio C, Villa Cuesta E, Cumbers J, Lehmann R, et al. Drosophila germ-line modulation of insulin signaling and lifespan. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6368-73 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that signals from the gonad regulate lifespan and modulate insulin sensitivity in the fly and that the gonadal regulation of aging is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Wang Y, Maciejewski B, Soto Reyes D, Lee H, Warburton D, Sanchez Esteban J. Mechanical stretch promotes fetal type II epithelial cell differentiation via shedding of HB-EGF and TGF-alpha. J Physiol. 2009;587:1739-53 pubmed publisher..These studies provide novel mechanistic information potentially relevant to fetal lung development and to mechanical ventilation-induced lung injury. ..
- Thaxton J, Romero R, Sharma S. TLR9 activation coupled to IL-10 deficiency induces adverse pregnancy outcomes. J Immunol. 2009;183:1144-54 pubmed publisher..Depletion of F4/80(+) macrophages or neutralization of TNF-alpha rescued pregnancy to term. Our results have important implications for IL-10-mediated "uterine tolerance" against CpG-driven innate immune activation. ..
- Cleveland Donovan K, Maile L, Tsiaras W, Tchkonia T, Kirkland J, Boney C. IGF-I activation of the AKT pathway is impaired in visceral but not subcutaneous preadipocytes from obese subjects. Endocrinology. 2010;151:3752-63 pubmed publisher..We conclude that impaired cell cycle regulation by AKT contributes to the distinct growth phenotype of preadipocytes in visceral fat of obese subjects. ..
- Anor T, Grinberg L, Baek H, Madsen J, Jayaraman M, Karniadakis G. Modeling of blood flow in arterial trees. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 2010;2:612-623 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss the possibilities, challenges, and limitations of the computational methods for predicting outcomes of therapeutic interventions for individual patients. ..
- Andrade A, Denome S, Jiang Y, Marangoudakis S, Lipscombe D. Opioid inhibition of N-type Ca2+ channels and spinal analgesia couple to alternative splicing. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1249-56 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that highly specialized, discrete cellular responsiveness in vivo can be attributed to alternative splicing events regulated at the level of individual neurons...
- Smith S, Wilson N, Goetz F, Feehery C, Andrade S, Rouse G, et al. Resolving the evolutionary relationships of molluscs with phylogenomic tools. Nature. 2011;480:364-7 pubmed publisher..This well-resolved tree will constitute a framework for further studies of mollusc evolution, development and anatomy...
- Cyr N, Stuart R, Zhu X, Steiner D, Nillni E. Biosynthesis of proTRH-derived peptides in prohormone convertase 1 and 2 knockout mice. Peptides. 2012;35:42-8 pubmed publisher..Collectively, results characterize the specific roles of PC1 and PC2 in proTRH processing in vivo. ..
- Johnson M, Tsai L, Roy D, Valenzuela D, Mosley C, Magklara A, et al. Neurons expressing trace amine-associated receptors project to discrete glomeruli and constitute an olfactory subsystem. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:13410-5 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the epigenetic signature of OR gene choice is absent from Taar genes. The unique molecular and anatomical features of the TAAR neurons suggest that they constitute a distinct olfactory subsystem. ..
- Banh C, Miah S, Kerr W, Brossay L. Mouse natural killer cell development and maturation are differentially regulated by SHIP-1. Blood. 2012;120:4583-90 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results provide novel insights on how SHIP-1 participates in the development, maturation, and effector functions of NK cells. ..
- Ellisor D, Rieser C, Voelcker B, Machan J, Zervas M. Genetic dissection of midbrain dopamine neuron development in vivo. Dev Biol. 2012;372:249-62 pubmed publisher..By placing Wnt1, Fgf8, and En1/2 in the context of their temporal requirement for MbDA neuron development, we further deciphered the developmental program underpinning MbDA neuron progenitors. ..
- Li Y, Nie Y, Helou Y, Ding G, Feng B, Xu G, et al. Identification of sucrose non-fermenting-related kinase (SNRK) as a suppressor of adipocyte inflammation. Diabetes. 2013;62:2396-409 pubmed publisher..In summary, SNRK may act as a suppressor of adipocyte inflammation and its presence is necessary for maintaining normal adipocyte function. ..
- Cakir I, Cyr N, Perello M, Litvinov B, Romero A, Stuart R, et al. Obesity induces hypothalamic endoplasmic reticulum stress and impairs proopiomelanocortin (POMC) post-translational processing. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:17675-88 pubmed publisher..This novel mechanism of ER stress affecting POMC processing in DIO highlights the importance of ER stress in regulating central energy balance in obesity. ..
- Altieri A, Bertness M, Coverdale T, Axelman E, Herrmann N, Szathmary P. Feedbacks underlie the resilience of salt marshes and rapid reversal of consumer-driven die-off. Ecology. 2013;94:1647-57 pubmed
- Luo Y, Motamedi N, Magaldi T, Gee G, Atwood W, DiMaio D. Interaction between Simian Virus 40 Major Capsid Protein VP1 and Cell Surface Ganglioside GM1 Triggers Vacuole Formation. MBio. 2016;7:e00297 pubmed publisher..This work identifies the molecular trigger for the phenotype that led to the discovery of this important virus and provides the first molecular insight into an unusual and enigmatic cytopathic effect due to virus infection. ..
- May M, Gregoire J, Gregoire S, Lubertazzi M, Matthews J. Emergence phenology, uncertainty, and the evolution of migratory behavior in Anax junius (Odonata: Aeshnidae). PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183508 pubmed publisher..No single pond is always predictably suitable or unsuitable, however, so ovipositing females also may spread the risk to their offspring by ovipositing at multiple sites that, for migrants, may be distributed over very long distances. ..
- Quesenberry P, Goldberg L. A revisionist history of adult marrow stem cell biology or 'they forgot about the discard'. Leukemia. 2017;31:1678-1685 pubmed publisher..Work needs to proceed on characterizing the true stem cell population. ..
- Sang J, Lim Y, Panzica M, Finch P, Thompson N. TA1, a highly conserved oncofetal complementary DNA from rat hepatoma, encodes an integral membrane protein associated with liver development, carcinogenesis, and cell activation. Cancer Res. 1995;55:1152-9 pubmed..2-kilobase transcript. TA1 expression was closely associated with progression in this tumor model and suggests this molecule, originally linked to cell activation, also plays a role in the malignant phenotype...
- Hansen T, Maynard E, Cashore W, Oh W. Endotoxemia and brain bilirubin in the rat. Biol Neonate. 1993;63:171-6 pubmed
- Su H, Ishikawa R, Biron C. Transforming growth factor-beta expression and natural killer cell responses during virus infection of normal, nude, and SCID mice. J Immunol. 1993;151:4874-90 pubmed..Treatment with active TGF-beta 1 reduced the numbers of NK cells per spleen in infected nude mice to the levels found in infected littermate controls.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Marsella J, Liu B, Vaslet C, Kane A. Susceptibility of p53-deficient mice to induction of mesothelioma by crocidolite asbestos fibers. Environ Health Perspect. 1997;105 Suppl 5:1069-72 pubmed..It is hypothesized that p53-deficient mice will show increased sensitivity to the genotoxic effects of asbestos and accelerated development of malignant mesotheliomas...
- Rifai A, Fadden K, Morrison S, Chintalacharuvu K. The N-glycans determine the differential blood clearance and hepatic uptake of human immunoglobulin (Ig)A1 and IgA2 isotypes. J Exp Med. 2000;191:2171-82 pubmed..In addition, dysfunction of the ASGR or altered N-linked glycosylation, but not O-glycans, that affects recognition by this receptor may account for the elevated serum IgA seen in liver disease and IgA nephropathy. ..
- Huber K, Gallagher S, Warren S, Bear M. Altered synaptic plasticity in a mouse model of fragile X mental retardation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:7746-50 pubmed..This finding indicates that FMRP plays an important functional role in regulating activity-dependent synaptic plasticity in the brain and suggests new therapeutic approaches for fragile X syndrome. ..
- Thanos C, Liu Z, Goddard M, Reineke J, Bailey N, Cross M, et al. Enhancing the oral bioavailability of the poorly soluble drug dicumarol with a bioadhesive polymer. J Pharm Sci. 2003;92:1677-89 pubmed..A nonadhesive formulation, fabricated with poly(lactic acid) (PLA), showed 91% relative bioavailability. Both particle size and polymer composition play a role in oral absorption of dicumarol. ..
- Haley S, Wessel G. Proteolytic cleavage of the cell surface protein p160 is required for detachment of the fertilization envelope in the sea urchin. Dev Biol. 2004;272:191-202 pubmed publisher..Thus, p160 is a key candidate for a vitelline-layer linker protein, the selective proteolysis of which functions in the block to polyspermy in the sea urchin egg...
- Giordano A, Vito L, Sardella P. Complication of a Portuguese man-of-war envenomation to the foot: a case report. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2005;44:297-300 pubmed..The purpose of this case report is to present such a consequence after a jellyfish sting to the dorsum of the foot. A large area of skin necrosis developed after an envenomation that required extensive debridement and skin grafting. ..
- Shirangi T, Taylor B, McKeown M. A double-switch system regulates male courtship behavior in male and female Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2006;38:1435-9 pubmed..Thus, we show that fru and dsx together act as a 'switch' system regulating behavior in the context of other developmental genes, such as retn. ..
- Ivanov S, Dragoi A, Wang X, Dallacosta C, Louten J, Musco G, et al. A novel role for HMGB1 in TLR9-mediated inflammatory responses to CpG-DNA. Blood. 2007;110:1970-81 pubmed..However, lack of intracellular TLR9-associated HMGB1 can be compensated by extracellular HMGB1. Thus, the DNA-binding protein HMGB1 shuttles in and out of immune cells and regulates inflammatory responses to CpG-DNA. ..
- Gibson H, Edwards J, Page R, Van Hook M, Kauer J. TRPV1 channels mediate long-term depression at synapses on hippocampal interneurons. Neuron. 2008;57:746-59 pubmed publisher..Like other forms of hippocampal synaptic plasticity, TRPV1-mediated LTD may have a role in long-term changes in physiological and pathological circuit behavior during learning and epileptic activity. ..
- Leggio L, Cardone S, Ferrulli A, Kenna G, Diana M, Swift R, et al. Turning the clock ahead: potential preclinical and clinical neuropharmacological targets for alcohol dependence. Curr Pharm Des. 2010;16:2159-18 pubmed
- Robich M, Chu L, Feng J, Burgess T, Laham R, Bianchi C, et al. Effects of selective cyclooxygenase-2 and nonselective cyclooxygenase inhibition on ischemic myocardium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140:1143-52 pubmed publisher..Selective and nonselective cyclooxygenase inhibition are more complex in effect than previously published, but they did not decrease collateral-dependent blood flow to the myocardium in our model of chronic myocardial ischemia. ..
- Fabre V, Wu H, Pondtor S, Coutinho H, Acosta L, Jiz M, et al. Tissue inhibitor of matrix-metalloprotease-1 predicts risk of hepatic fibrosis in human Schistosoma japonicum infection. J Infect Dis. 2011;203:707-14 pubmed publisher..Little is known regarding the mechanisms of schistosome-associated hepatic fibrosis in humans, and few biomarkers for risk of fibrosis have been identified...
- Calmus M, Macksoud E, Tucker R, Iozzo R, Lechner B. A mouse model of spontaneous preterm birth based on the genetic ablation of biglycan and decorin. Reproduction. 2011;142:183-94 pubmed publisher..Thus, the biglycan/decorin null mutant mouse is a model of genetically induced preterm birth and perinatal loss. This model presents novel targets for preventive or therapeutic manipulation of preterm birth. ..
- Monaghan S, Thakkar R, Heffernan D, Huang X, Chung C, Lomas Neira J, et al. Mechanisms of indirect acute lung injury: a novel role for the coinhibitory receptor, programmed death-1. Ann Surg. 2012;255:158-64 pubmed publisher..PD-1 expression contributes to mortality after the induction of indirect-acute lung injury and this seems to be associated with modifications in the cellular and cytokine profiles in the lung. ..
- Spawn A, Aizenman C. Abnormal visual processing and increased seizure susceptibility result from developmental exposure to the biocide methylisothiazolinone. Neuroscience. 2012;205:194-204 pubmed publisher..Our findings, combined with the fact that the long-term neurological impacts of environmental exposure to MIT have not been determined, suggest a need for a closer evaluation of the safety of MIT in commercial and industrial products. ..
- Ponnusamy M, Ma L, Zhuang S. Necrotic renal epithelial cell inhibits renal interstitial fibroblast activation: role of protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2013;304:F698-709 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that nonlethal necrotic RPTC-Sup can induce inactivation of renal interstitial fibroblasts, which occurs through a mechanism involved in PTP1B-mediated inhibition of EGFR signaling. ..
- Yang J, Brown A, Ellisor D, Paul E, Hagan N, Zervas M. Dynamic temporal requirement of Wnt1 in midbrain dopamine neuron development. Development. 2013;140:1342-52 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our analyses resolve the spatial and temporal function of Wnt1 in Mb and Cb patterning and in MbDA neuron development in vivo. ..