Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on young adult in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: young adult
- Rubenstein R, Chang B, Yue J, Chiu A, Winkler E, Puccio A, et al. Comparing Plasma Phospho Tau, Total Tau, and Phospho Tau-Total Tau Ratio as Acute and Chronic Traumatic Brain Injury Biomarkers. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1063-1072 pubmed publisher..Microtubule-associated protein tau is an axonal phosphoprotein. To date, the presence of the hypophosphorylated tau protein (P-tau) in plasma from patients with acute TBI and chronic TBI has not been investigated...
- Liu Y, Easton J, Shao Y, Maciaszek J, Wang Z, Wilkinson M, et al. The genomic landscape of pediatric and young adult T-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1211-1218 pubmed publisher..This genomic landscape provides a logical framework for the development of faithful genetic models and new therapeutic approaches. ..
- Resnick S, Smith R, Beard J, Holena D, Reilly P, Schwab C, et al. Firearm Deaths in America: Can We Learn From 462,000 Lives Lost?. Ann Surg. 2017;266:432-440 pubmed publisher..We sought to determine whether state firearm legislation correlated with firearm-related fatality rates (FFR) during a 15-year period...
- Milman L, Senapati S, Sammel M, Cameron K, Gracia C. Assessing reproductive choices of women and the likelihood of oocyte cryopreservation in the era of elective oocyte freezing. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1214-1222.e3 pubmed publisher..This study provides important insight into the willingness to pay for this elective endeavor. ..
- Barakat M, Mithal A, Huang R, Mithal A, Sehgal A, Banerjee S, et al. Affordable Care Act and healthcare delivery: A comparison of California and Florida hospitals and emergency departments. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182346 pubmed publisher..There appears to be a shift in reimbursement burden from patients and hospitals to the government without a dramatic shift in patterns of ED or hospital utilization. ..
- Caldieraro M, Sylvia L, Dufour S, Walsh S, Janos J, Rabideau D, et al. Clinical correlates of acute bipolar depressive episode with psychosis. J Affect Disord. 2017;217:29-33 pubmed publisher..Psychotic, depressed patients have worse illness outcomes, but future research is necessary to confirm if these outcomes are only associated with the severity of the disorder or if some of them are independent of it. ..
- Etzkorn J, Sharkey J, Grunyk J, Shin T, Sobanko J, Miller C. Frequency of and risk factors for tumor upstaging after wide local excision of primary cutaneous melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:341-348 pubmed publisher..Clinicopathologic characteristics, particularly anatomic location on the head, neck, hands, feet, genitals, or pretibial leg and subtotal diagnostic biopsies, identify melanomas with an increased risk for upstaging. ..
- Rattanaumpawan P, Nachamkin I, Bilker W, Roy J, Metlay J, Zaoutis T, et al. High fluoroquinolone MIC is associated with fluoroquinolone treatment failure in urinary tract infections caused by fluoroquinolone susceptible Escherichia coli. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2017;16:25 pubmed publisher..This negative impact may be more intensified in other serious infections. Future studies in other clinical situations should be conducted to fill the gap of knowledge. ..
- Smith McLallen A, Heller D, Vernisi K, Gulick D, Cruz S, Snyder R. Comparative Effectiveness of Two Walking Interventions on Participation, Step Counts, and Health. Am J Health Promot. 2017;31:119-127 pubmed publisher..An enhanced walking program significantly increases participation rates and daily step counts, which were associated with weight loss and reductions in body mass index. ..
- Vidorreta M, Wang Z, Chang Y, Wolk D, Fernandez Seara M, Detre J. Whole-brain background-suppressed pCASL MRI with 1D-accelerated 3D RARE Stack-Of-Spirals readout. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0183762 pubmed publisher..The sequence is freely available upon request for academic use and could benefit a broad range of cognitive and clinical neuroscience research. ..
- Hand D, Short V, Abatemarco D. Treatments for opioid use disorder among pregnant and reproductive-aged women. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:222-227 pubmed publisher..Treatment for opioid use disorder is most effective when all providers coordinate care in an informed, nonjudgmental, patient-centered approach. ..
- Panepinto J, Paul Scott J, Badaki Makun O, Darbari D, Chumpitazi C, Airewele G, et al. Determining the longitudinal validity and meaningful differences in HRQL of the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:124 pubmed publisher..The study data establish longitudinal validity and meaningful change parameters for the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. ClinicalTrials.gov (study identifier: NCT01197417 ). Date of registration: 08/30/2010. ..
- Chirico A, D Aiuto G, Penon A, Mallia L, De Laurentiis M, Lucidi F, et al. Self-Efficacy for Coping with Cancer Enhances the Effect of Reiki Treatments During the Pre-Surgery Phase of Breast Cancer Patients. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3657-3665 pubmed..From a practical perspective, the study provides insightful results for healthcare professionals. ..
- Esplin M, Elovitz M, Iams J, Parker C, Wapner R, Grobman W, et al. Predictive Accuracy of Serial Transvaginal Cervical Lengths and Quantitative Vaginal Fetal Fibronectin Levels for Spontaneous Preterm Birth Among Nulliparous Women. JAMA. 2017;317:1047-1056 pubmed publisher..These findings do not support routine use of these tests in such women. ..
- Smith A, Ianacone D, Ensink R, Melaku A, Casselbrant M, Isaacson G. Prevalence of hearing-loss among HAART-treated children in the Horn of Africa. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:166-170 pubmed publisher..1% HIVU, OR: 3.7, 95% CI 1.7-8.4, p-value <0.001). Chronic OM, conductive and mixed hearing losses are significantly more common in HAART-treated HIV + children than in well, similarly-aged controls. Rates of SNHL are similar. ..
- Coleman R, Brady M, Herzog T, Sabbatini P, Armstrong D, Walker J, et al. Bevacizumab and paclitaxel-carboplatin chemotherapy and secondary cytoreduction in recurrent, platinum-sensitive ovarian cancer (NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group study GOG-0213): a multicentre, open-label, randomised, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:779-791 pubmed publisher..National Cancer Institute and Genentech. ..
- Chong L, Sautenet B, Tong A, Hanson C, Samuel S, Zappitelli M, et al. Range and Heterogeneity of Outcomes in Randomized Trials of Pediatric Chronic Kidney Disease. J Pediatr. 2017;186:110-117.e11 pubmed publisher..Efforts to ensure consistent reporting of outcomes that are important to patients and clinicians will improve the value of trials to guide clinical decision-making. In our study, non-English articles were excluded. ..
- Roman M, Pugh N, Devereux R, Eagle K, Holmes K, LeMaire S, et al. Aortic Dilatation Associated With Bicuspid Aortic Valve: Relation to Sex, Hemodynamics, and Valve Morphology (the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute-Sponsored National Registry of Genetically Triggered Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms and Cardiovascula. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:1171-1175 pubmed publisher..Male sex and right-left cusp pattern of cusp fusion were associated with larger SOV diameters and a greater likelihood of AR, whereas women had a higher prevalence of AS. ..
- Brown J, Harhay M, Harhay M. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and mortality among cancer survivors. Cancer Epidemiol. 2017;48:104-109 pubmed publisher..This novel observation warrants replication. Evaluating the efficacy of interventions, such as lifestyle modification through weight loss and exercise, to improve NAFLD in this population may be considered. ..
- Park H, Kshettry V, Farrell C, Lee J, Kim Y, Won T, et al. Clinical Outcome After Extended Endoscopic Endonasal Resection of Craniopharyngiomas: Two-Institution Experience. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:465-474 pubmed publisher..EEA is effective for the surgical resection of craniopharyngiomas, resulting in high rates of visual improvement and low complication rates. Adjuvant radiotherapy is a useful method for tumor control after incomplete resection. ..
- Gennatas E, Avants B, Wolf D, Satterthwaite T, Ruparel K, Ciric R, et al. Age-Related Effects and Sex Differences in Gray Matter Density, Volume, Mass, and Cortical Thickness from Childhood to Young Adulthood. J Neurosci. 2017;37:5065-5073 pubmed publisher..A clear understanding of normal structural brain development is essential for the examination of brain-behavior relationships, the study of brain disease, and, ultimately, clinical applications of neuroimaging. ..
- Lim H, Collins S, Resneck J, Bolognia J, Hodge J, Rohrer T, et al. Contribution of health care factors to the burden of skin disease in the United States. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;76:1151-1160.e21 pubmed publisher..These findings serve as a critical foundation for future discussions on the clinical importance of skin disease and the value of dermatologic care across the population. ..
- Puopolo K, Mukhopadhyay S, Hansen N, Cotten C, Stoll B, Sanchez P, et al. Identification of Extremely Premature Infants at Low Risk for Early-Onset Sepsis. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Recognition of differential risk may help guide decisions to limit early antibiotic use among approximately one-third of these infants. ..
- Weller M, Butowski N, Tran D, Recht L, Lim M, Hirte H, et al. Rindopepimut with temozolomide for patients with newly diagnosed, EGFRvIII-expressing glioblastoma (ACT IV): a randomised, double-blind, international phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:1373-1385 pubmed publisher..Combination approaches potentially including rindopepimut might be required to show efficacy of immunotherapy in glioblastoma. Celldex Therapeutics, Inc. ..
- Sacca R, Zur K, Crowley T, Zackai E, Valverde K, McDonald McGinn D. Association of airway abnormalities with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;96:11-14 pubmed publisher..2DS and airway anomalies. Postnatal assessment of airway structure and function among patients with 22q11.2DS is an important component of overall evaluation and will help guide long-term management. ..
- Bonzo J, Tasian G. The Emergence of Kidney Stone Disease During Childhood-Impact on Adults. Curr Urol Rep. 2017;18:44 pubmed publisher..Kidney stone disease often exists over the lifetime and is associated with serious conditions that are important for pediatric and adult urologists to recognize and consider in their evaluation and treatment of patients. ..
- Ghobrial G, Franco D, Theofanis T, Margiotta P, ANDREWS E, Wilson J, et al. Cervical Spondylodiscitis: Presentation, Timing, and Surgical Management in 59 Patients. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:664-670 pubmed publisher..Significant predictors of neurologic improvement were not observed. Prolonged symptomatic duration was correlated with a significantly lower likelihood of motor score improvement. ..
- Trifiletti D, Alonso C, Grover S, Fadul C, Sheehan J, Showalter T. Prognostic Implications of Extent of Resection in Glioblastoma: Analysis from a Large Database. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:330-340 pubmed publisher..This study does not support a survival benefit of STR over biopsy alone (when grouped into these 2 groups), although there may be a subset of patients with near total resection who would benefit. ..
- Abuabara K, Magyari A, Hoffstad O, Jabbar Lopez Z, Smeeth L, Williams H, et al. Development and Validation of an Algorithm to Accurately Identify Atopic Eczema Patients in Primary Care Electronic Health Records from the UK. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1655-1662 pubmed publisher..5 to -0.1), respectively. A combination of diagnostic and prescription codes can be used to reliably estimate the diagnosis and duration of AE from The Health Improvement Network primary care electronic health records in the UK. ..
- Daniel E, Pistilli M, Kothari S, Khachatryan N, Kaçmaz R, Gangaputra S, et al. Risk of Ocular Hypertension in Adults with Noninfectious Uveitis. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1196-1208 pubmed publisher..Modifiable risk factors, such as use of corticosteroids, suggest opportunities to reduce OHT risk within the constraints of the overriding need to control the primary ocular inflammatory disease. ..
- Moskowitz G, Olcaysoy Okten I, Gooch C. Distortion in time perception as a result of concern about appearing biased. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182241 pubmed publisher..Models of time perception identify arousal as a factor that causes perceived time to slow, and we speculate that arousal arising in intergroup interactions can alter time perception. ..
- UNG H, Cazares C, Nanivadekar A, Kini L, Wagenaar J, Becker D, et al. Interictal epileptiform activity outside the seizure onset zone impacts cognition. Brain. 2017;140:2157-2168 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that seizure onset regions are dysfunctional at baseline, and support the idea that interictal spikes disrupt cognitive processes related to the underlying tissue...
- Gendron T, Daughrity L, Heckman M, Diehl N, Wuu J, Miller T, et al. Phosphorylated neurofilament heavy chain: A biomarker of survival for C9ORF72-associated amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:139-146 pubmed publisher..These data support the use of CSF pNFH as a prognostic biomarker for clinical trials, which will increase the likelihood of successfully developing a treatment for c9ALS. Ann Neurol 2017;82:139-146. ..
- Itkin M, Piccoli D, Nadolski G, Rychik J, Dewitt A, Pinto E, et al. Protein-Losing Enteropathy in Patients With Congenital Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2929-2937 pubmed publisher..Lymphatic embolization led to improved albumin levels and relief of symptoms. Further experience with the technique is needed to determine long-term outcome of this procedure. ..
- Mazzaferro D, Wes A, Naran S, Pearl R, Bartlett S, Taylor J. Orthognathic Surgery Has a Significant Effect on Perceived Personality Traits and Emotional Expressions. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:971-981 pubmed publisher..Crowdsourcing technology offers a unique opportunity for surgeons to gather data regarding laypeople's perceptions of surgical outcomes in areas such as orthognathic surgery. ..
- Bibbins Domingo K, Grossman D, Curry S, Barry M, Davidson K, Doubeni C, et al. Screening for Gynecologic Conditions With Pelvic Examination: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement. JAMA. 2017;317:947-953 pubmed publisher..I statement) This statement does not apply to specific disorders for which the USPSTF already recommends screening (ie, screening for cervical cancer with a Papanicolaou smear, screening for gonorrhea and chlamydia). ..
- Jobst B, Kapur R, Barkley G, Bazil C, Berg M, Bergey G, et al. Brain-responsive neurostimulation in patients with medically intractable seizures arising from eloquent and other neocortical areas. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1005-1014 pubmed publisher..Brain-responsive stimulation represents a safe and effective treatment option for patients with medically intractable epilepsy, including adults with seizures of neocortical onset, and those with onsets from eloquent cortex. ..
- Strickland S, Sun Z, Ketterling R, Cherry A, Cripe L, Dewald G, et al. Independent Prognostic Significance of Monosomy 17 and Impact of Karyotype Complexity in Monosomal Karyotype/Complex Karyotype Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Results from Four ECOG-ACRIN Prospective Therapeutic Trials. Leuk Res. 2017;59:55-64 pubmed publisher..5y; p=0.012). Our data suggest that the prognostic impact of MK+is limited to those with less complex karyotypes and that monosomy 17 may independently predict for worse survival in patients with AML. ..
- Kong X, Strauss R, Cideciyan A, Michaelides M, Sahel J, Munoz B, et al. Visual Acuity Change over 12 Months in the Prospective Progression of Atrophy Secondary to Stargardt Disease (ProgStar) Study: ProgStar Report Number 6. Ophthalmology. 2017;124:1640-1651 pubmed publisher..Given the slow change during 1 year, BCVA is unlikely to be a sensitive outcome measure for STGD1 treatment trials with 1 year's duration. ..
- Geller J, Perentesis J, Liu X, Minard C, Kudgus R, Reid J, et al. A phase 1 study of the c-Met inhibitor, tivantinib (ARQ197) in children with relapsed or refractory solid tumors: A Children's Oncology Group study phase 1 and pilot consortium trial (ADVL1111). Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..The RP2D of tivantinib given with food in children with refractory solid tumors is 240 mg/m2 /dose. PK of tivantinib in children demonstrated high variability. Objective responses were not observed in this phase 1 trial. ..
- Curry A, Metzger K, Pfeiffer M, Elliott M, Winston F, Power T. Motor Vehicle Crash Risk Among Adolescents and Young Adults With Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171:756-763 pubmed publisher..We know little about when adolescents with ADHD get licensed and, once they do, the extent to which they have increased crash risk compared with adolescents without ADHD...
- Worsh C, Tatarian T, Singh A, Pucci M, Winter J, Yeo C, et al. Total parenteral nutrition in patients following pancreaticoduodenectomy: lessons from 1184 patients. J Surg Res. 2017;218:156-161 pubmed publisher..4% (0.8% historical institutional rate). TPN is a critical and safe adjunct for patients who develop PD-associated complications; however, it may be of limited utility for patients with isolated DGE. ..
- Allen K, Downing T, Glatz A, Rogers L, Ravishankar C, Rychik J, et al. Effect of Fontan-Associated Morbidities on Survival With Intact Fontan Circulation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1866-1871 pubmed publisher..However, for those patients who remain free from the composite morbidity outcome, 20-year survival with intact Fontan circulation is encouraging. ..
- Breslin K, Tuchman L, Hayes K, Badolato G, Goyal M. Sensitivity and Specificity of Empiric Treatment for Sexually Transmitted Infections in a Pediatric Emergency Department. J Pediatr. 2017;189:48-53 pubmed publisher..Provider judgment may lack sufficient sensitivity and specificity for identifying infected patients, resulting in the potential for undertreatment of true disease, overtreatment of uninfected patients, or both. ..
- Else T, Lerario A, Everett J, Haymon L, Wham D, Mullane M, et al. Adrenocortical carcinoma and succinate dehydrogenase gene mutations: an observational case series. Eur J Endocrinol. 2017;177:439-444 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to investigate the possible role of SDH deficiency in ACC pathogenesis. ..
- Kijak G, Sanders Buell E, Chenine A, Eller M, Goonetilleke N, Thomas R, et al. Rare HIV-1 transmitted/founder lineages identified by deep viral sequencing contribute to rapid shifts in dominant quasispecies during acute and early infection. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006510 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results demonstrate that early, deep, and frequent sampling is needed to investigate viral/host interaction during AHI, which could help identify prerequisites for prevention and cure of HIV-1 infection. ..
- Barbieri J, James W, Margolis D. Trends in prescribing behavior of systemic agents used in the treatment of acne among dermatologists and nondermatologists: A retrospective analysis, 2004-2013. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:456-463.e4 pubmed publisher..Additional work to identify patients who would benefit most from alternative therapies such as spironolactone, oral contraceptives, or isotretinoin represents a potential opportunity to improve the care of patients with acne. ..
- Johnson L, Sammel M, Domchek S, Schanne A, Prewitt M, Gracia C. AntimÃ¼llerian hormone levels are lower in BRCA2 mutation carriers. Fertil Steril. 2017;107:1256-1265.e6 pubmed publisher..In contrast to earlier analyses, BRCA1 carriers had AMH values that were similar to low-risk control women, but this may be due to differences in the population studied. ..
- Xanthopoulos M, Walega R, Xiao R, Prasad D, Pipan M, Zemel B, et al. Caregiver-Reported Quality of Life in Youth with Down Syndrome. J Pediatr. 2017;189:98-104.e1 pubmed publisher..Obesity influences most domains of weight-related QOL in youth with and without DS; therefore, providers should address weight concerns in youth with obesity even in the presence of DS. NCT01821300. ..
- Facco F, Grobman W, Reid K, Parker C, Hunter S, Silver R, et al. Objectively measured short sleep duration and later sleep midpoint in pregnancy are associated with a higher risk of gestational diabetes. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017;217:447.e1-447.e13 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest independent contributions of these 2 sleep characteristics to the risk for gestational diabetes in nulliparous women. ..
- Atz A, Zak V, Mahony L, Uzark K, D agincourt N, Goldberg D, et al. Longitudinal Outcomes of Patients With Single Ventricle After the Fontan Procedure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2735-2744 pubmed publisher..Future interventions might focus on preserving exercise capacity. (Relationship Between Functional Health Status and Ventricular Performance After Fontan-Pediatric Heart Network; NCT00132782). ..
- Chung K, Chatzigeorgiou A, Economopoulou M, Garcia Martin R, Alexaki V, Mitroulis I, et al. A self-sustained loop of inflammation-driven inhibition of beige adipogenesis in obesity. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:654-664 pubmed publisher..Our findings, established in both mouse systems and human systems, reveal a self-sustained cycle of inflammation-driven impairment of beige adipogenesis in obesity. ..
- Ciric R, Wolf D, Power J, Roalf D, Baum G, Ruparel K, et al. Benchmarking of participant-level confound regression strategies for the control of motion artifact in studies of functional connectivity. Neuroimage. 2017;154:174-187 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results emphasize the heterogeneous efficacy of existing methods, and suggest that different confound regression strategies may be appropriate in the context of specific scientific goals. ..
- Palakshappa D, Doupnik S, Vasan A, Khan S, Seifu L, Feudtner C, et al. Suburban Families' Experience With Food Insecurity Screening in Primary Care Practices. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..Although most parents were comfortable discussing FI, they felt it was important for clinicians to acknowledge their frustrations with FI and facilitate access to a range of food resources. ..
- Calarge C, Mills J, Janz K, Burns T, Coryell W, Zemel B. Body Composition in Adolescents During Treatment With Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors. Pediatrics. 2017;140: pubmed publisher..5 years, whereas SSRI treatment was positively associated with these outcomes, with differential effects across treatment groups. ..
- Arbogast K, Curry A, Metzger K, Kessler R, Bell J, Haarbauer Krupa J, et al. Improving Primary Care Provider Practices in Youth Concussion Management. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2017;56:854-865 pubmed publisher..A total of 95% of post-intervention examinations were documented within the SmartSet. An electronic clinical decision support tool, plus in-person training, may be key to changing primary care provider behavior around concussion care. ..
- Tepper S, Ashina M, Reuter U, Brandes J, Dolezil D, Silberstein S, et al. Safety and efficacy of erenumab for preventive treatment of chronic migraine: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 trial. Lancet Neurol. 2017;16:425-434 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to understand long-term efficacy and safety of erenumab, and the applicability of this study to real-world settings. Amgen. ..
- Ma G, Brensinger C, Wu Q, Lewis J. Increasing Incidence of Multiply Recurrent Clostridium difficile Infection in the United States: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med. 2017;167:152-158 pubmed publisher..National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. ..
- Collier K, Sataloff J, Wirtalla C, Kuo L, Karakousis G, Kelz R. Understanding readmissions following operations of the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Am J Surg. 2017;214:501-508 pubmed publisher..Patient factors and diseases necessitate the use of hospital services. Bundled payments must consider the patients' needs for hospital-based services in calculating costs for surgically treated endocrine disorders. ..
- Ross J, Manteghi A, Rethy K, Ding J, Chennupati S. Thyroglossal duct cyst surgery: A ten-year single institution experience. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;101:132-136 pubmed publisher..1. Review our institution's experience with thyroglossal duct cyst (TGDC) excision. 2. Determine if TGDC recurrence rate is influenced by surgical technique, preoperative infection, or surgeon specialty...
- Randazzo M, Thawani J, Manur R, Brooks J, Ozturk A. Metastatic Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma of the Spinal Cord: A Case Report and Review of Literature. World Neurosurg. 2017;103:953.e1-953.e5 pubmed publisher..Metastatic ASPS should thus be included in the differential diagnosis in patients with known disease and neurologic impairment or back pain. Imaging of the spine should then be considered. ..
- Strauss R, Munoz B, Ho A, Jha A, Michaelides M, Mohand Said S, et al. Incidence of Atrophic Lesions in Stargardt Disease in the Progression of Atrophy Secondary to Stargardt Disease (ProgStar) Study: Report No. 5. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:687-695 pubmed publisher..Outcome measures that are sensitive to disease progression are needed as clinical end points for future treatment trials in Stargardt disease...
- Richardson P, Smith A, Triplett B, Kernan N, Grupp S, Antin J, et al. Earlier defibrotide initiation post-diagnosis of veno-occlusive disease/sinusoidal obstruction syndrome improves Day +100 survival following haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Br J Haematol. 2017;178:112-118 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that initiation of defibrotide should not be delayed after diagnosis of VOD/SOS...
- Mombaerts I, Bilyk J, Rose G, McNab A, Fay A, Dolman P, et al. Consensus on Diagnostic Criteria of Idiopathic Orbital Inflammation Using a Modified Delphi Approach. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:769-776 pubmed publisher..This consensus is a step toward developing guidelines for the management of IOI, which needs to be followed by validation studies of the criteria. ..
- Miller C, Shin T, Sobanko J, Sharkey J, Grunyk J, Elenitsas R, et al. Risk factors for positive or equivocal margins after wide local excision of 1345 cutaneous melanomas. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:333-340.e1 pubmed publisher..Clinicopathologic factors, especially location in cosmetically or functionally sensitive areas and noncompliance with recommended surgical margins, identified melanomas at increased risk for positive or equivocal margins after WLE. ..
- Toussaint L, Barry M, Angus D, Bornfriend L, Markman M. Self-forgiveness is associated with reduced psychological distress in cancer patients and unmatched caregivers: Hope and self-blame as mediating mechanisms. J Psychosoc Oncol. 2017;35:544-560 pubmed publisher..Group differences between patients and caregivers in associations are intriguing and may have implications for improved psychosocial care of cancer patients and support of caregivers. ..
- Moran G, Krishnadasan A, Mower W, Abrahamian F, LoVecchio F, Steele M, et al. Effect of Cephalexin Plus Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole vs Cephalexin Alone on Clinical Cure of Uncomplicated Cellulitis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;317:2088-2096 pubmed publisher..It is unknown if antimicrobial regimens possessing in vitro MRSA activity provide improved outcomes compared with treatments lacking MRSA activity...
- Jacobson S, Cideciyan A, Sumaroka A, Roman A, Charng J, Lu M, et al. Outcome Measures for Clinical Trials of Leber Congenital Amaurosis Caused by the Intronic Mutation in the CEP290 Gene. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:2609-2622 pubmed publisher..TPLR and OCI can provide objective measures of postretinal transmission. Minimal change over a decade indicates that there is no practical value in natural history studies. ..