Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on wnt proteins in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: wnt proteins
- Janson K, Cohen E, Wilder E. Expression of DWnt6, DWnt10, and DFz4 during Drosophila development. Mech Dev. 2001;103:117-20 pubmed..We find that DFz4 is also expressed in a dynamic pattern in the mesoderm, gut, and central nervous system. ..
- Tarapore R, Lim J, Tian C, Pacios S, Xiao W, Reid D, et al. NF-ÎºB Has a Direct Role in Inhibiting Bmp- and Wnt-Induced Matrix Protein Expression. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:52-64 pubmed publisher..This direct mechanism provides a new explanation for the rapid decrease in new bone formation after inflammation-related NF-ÎºB activation. ..
- Weidenfeld J, Shu W, Zhang L, Millar S, Morrisey E. The WNT7b promoter is regulated by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2 in lung epithelium. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:21061-70 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that WNT7b gene expression in the lung epithelium is regulated in a combinatorial fashion by TTF-1, GATA6, and Foxa2. ..
- Koyama E, Shibukawa Y, Nagayama M, Sugito H, Young B, Yuasa T, et al. A distinct cohort of progenitor cells participates in synovial joint and articular cartilage formation during mouse limb skeletogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;316:62-73 pubmed publisher..The cells appear to be patterned along specific limb symmetry axes and rely on local signaling tools to make distinct contributions to joint formation. ..
- Xu X, Li W, Huang G, Meyer R, Chen T, Luo Y, et al. N-cadherin and Cx43alpha1 gap junctions modulates mouse neural crest cell motility via distinct pathways. Cell Commun Adhes. 2001;8:321-4 pubmed..Given these results, we propose that N-cadherin and Cx43alpha1 may modulate neural crest cell motility by engaging in a dynamic cross-talk with the cell's locomotory apparatus through p120ctn signaling. ..
- Daumer K, Tufan A, Tuan R. Long-term in vitro analysis of limb cartilage development: involvement of Wnt signaling. J Cell Biochem. 2004;93:526-41 pubmed..Our findings implicate functional role(s) for Wnt signaling throughout embryonic cartilage development, and show the utility of the long-term in vitro limb mesenchyme culture system for such studies. ..
- Danielson K, Pillarisetti J, Cohen I, Sholehvar B, Huebner K, Ng L, et al. Characterization of the complete genomic structure of the human WNT-5A gene, functional analysis of its promoter, chromosomal mapping, and expression in early human embryogenesis. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:31225-34 pubmed..This study provides the molecular basis for discerning the regulation of the WNT-5A gene and offers the opportunity to investigate genetic disorders linked to this important gene. ..
- Miller M, Cohen E, Baggs J, Lu M, Hogenesch J, Morrisey E. Wnt ligands signal in a cooperative manner to promote foregut organogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:15348-53 pubmed..These data suggest a model in which Pdgf signaling potentiates Wnt2-Wnt7b signaling to promote high levels of Wnt activity in mesenchymal progenitors that is required for proper development of endoderm-derived organs, such as the lung. ..
- Wang Z, Shu W, Lu M, Morrisey E. Wnt7b activates canonical signaling in epithelial and vascular smooth muscle cells through interactions with Fzd1, Fzd10, and LRP5. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:5022-30 pubmed..Together, these data demonstrate that Wnt7b signals through Fzd1 and -10 and LRP5 and implicate these Wnt coreceptors in the regulation of lung airway and vascular development. ..
- Perreault N, Katz J, Sackett S, Kaestner K. Foxl1 controls the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway by modulating the expression of proteoglycans in the gut. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:43328-33 pubmed..Moreover, we provide the first example implicating proteoglycans in the regulation of cellular proliferation in the gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Bitler B, Nicodemus J, Li H, Cai Q, Wu H, Hua X, et al. Wnt5a suppresses epithelial ovarian cancer by promoting cellular senescence. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6184-94 pubmed publisher..We suggest that strategies to drive senescence in EOC cells by reconstituting Wnt5a signaling may offer an effective new strategy for EOC therapy. ..
- Gitler A, Lu M, Jiang Y, Epstein J, Gruber P. Molecular markers of cardiac endocardial cushion development. Dev Dyn. 2003;228:643-50 pubmed
- Ai X, Do A, Lozynska O, Kusche Gullberg M, Lindahl U, Emerson C. QSulf1 remodels the 6-O sulfation states of cell surface heparan sulfate proteoglycans to promote Wnt signaling. J Cell Biol. 2003;162:341-51 pubmed
- Kinder M, Wei C, Shelat S, Kundu M, Zhao L, Blair I, et al. Hematopoietic stem cell function requires 12/15-lipoxygenase-dependent fatty acid metabolism. Blood. 2010;115:5012-22 pubmed publisher..These results have implications for development, aging, and transformation of the hematopoietic compartment. ..
- Goss A, Tian Y, Tsukiyama T, Cohen E, Zhou D, Lu M, et al. Wnt2/2b and beta-catenin signaling are necessary and sufficient to specify lung progenitors in the foregut. Dev Cell. 2009;17:290-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these data reveal that canonical Wnt2/2b signaling is required for the specification of lung endoderm progenitors in the developing foregut...
- Feigenson K, Reid M, See J, Crenshaw E, Grinspan J. Wnt signaling is sufficient to perturb oligodendrocyte maturation. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009;42:255-65 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that activating the Wnt/beta-catenin pathway delays the development of myelinating oligodendrocytes. ..
- Jing L, Lefebvre J, Gordon L, Granato M. Wnt signals organize synaptic prepattern and axon guidance through the zebrafish unplugged/MuSK receptor. Neuron. 2009;61:721-33 pubmed publisher..We propose that Wnt ligands activate unplugged/MuSK signaling in muscle fibers to restrict growth cone guidance and AChR prepatterns to the muscle center through a mechanism reminiscent of the planar cell polarity pathway. ..
- Choi Y, Arron J, Townsend M. Promising bone-related therapeutic targets for rheumatoid arthritis. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2009;5:543-8 pubmed publisher..Such treatments, in combination with anti-inflammatory therapies, could stabilize and repair damaged joints and have the potential to be valuable additions to the armory of RA treatments. ..
- Alves Guerra M, Ronchini C, Capobianco A. Mastermind-like 1 Is a specific coactivator of beta-catenin transcription activation and is essential for colon carcinoma cell survival. Cancer Res. 2007;67:8690-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration of a role for the Mastermind-like family in another signaling pathway and that the knockdown of Mastermind-like family function leads to tumor cell death. ..
- Raju G, Dimova N, Klein P, Huang H. SANE, a novel LEM domain protein, regulates bone morphogenetic protein signaling through interaction with Smad1. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:428-37 pubmed..These studies define a new mode of regulation for intracellular BMP/Smad1 signaling. ..
- Zhang Y, Tomann P, Andl T, Gallant N, Huelsken J, Jerchow B, et al. Reciprocal requirements for EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB and Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathways in hair follicle induction. Dev Cell. 2009;17:49-61 pubmed publisher..These data reveal a complex interplay and interdependence of Wnt/beta-catenin and EDA/EDAR/NF-kappaB signaling pathways in initiation and maintenance of primary hair follicle placodes...
- Peng L, Li Y, Shusterman K, Kuehl M, Gibson C. Wnt-RhoA signaling is involved in dental enamel development. Eur J Oral Sci. 2011;119 Suppl 1:41-9 pubmed publisher..The current results indicate that both Wnt and RhoA pathways are implicated in fluoride-induced signaling transductions in the ALC as well as in the development of enamel defects in RhoA(DN) transgenic mice. ..
- Liu F, Chu E, WATT B, Zhang Y, Gallant N, Andl T, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling directs multiple stages of tooth morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2008;313:210-24 pubmed
- Choi Y, Zhang Y, Xu M, Yang Y, Ito M, Peng T, et al. Distinct functions for Wnt/?-catenin in hair follicle stem cell proliferation and survival and interfollicular epidermal homeostasis. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:720-33 pubmed publisher..We further unexpectedly discovered a broader role for Wnt/?-catenin signaling in contributing to progenitor cell proliferation in nonhairy epithelia and interfollicular epidermis under homeostatic, but not inflammatory, conditions. ..
- Millar S, Koyama E, Reddy S, Andl T, Gaddapara T, Piddington R, et al. Over- and ectopic expression of Wnt3 causes progressive loss of ameloblasts in postnatal mouse incisor teeth. Connect Tissue Res. 2003;44 Suppl 1:124-9 pubmed..Loss of ameloblasts may be due to defective proliferation or differentiation of ameloblast precursors, progressive apoptosis of ameloblasts, or loss of ameloblast stem cells. ..
- Rickels M, Zhang X, Mumm S, Whyte M. Oropharyngeal skeletal disease accompanying high bone mass and novel LRP5 mutation. J Bone Miner Res. 2005;20:878-85 pubmed..Therefore, our patient's extensive oropharyngeal exostoses and endosteal hyperostosis likely reflect increased Wnt signaling and show that exuberant LRP5 effects are not always benign. ..
- Golden J, Bracilovic A, McFadden K, Beesley J, Rubenstein J, Grinspan J. Ectopic bone morphogenetic proteins 5 and 4 in the chicken forebrain lead to cyclopia and holoprosencephaly. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:2439-44 pubmed..These data provide evidence that BMP signaling participates in dorsal-ventral patterning of the developing brain in vivo, and disturbances in dorsal-ventral signaling result in specific malformations of the forebrain. ..
- Andl T, Reddy S, Gaddapara T, Millar S. WNT signals are required for the initiation of hair follicle development. Dev Cell. 2002;2:643-53 pubmed..This phenotype indicates that activation of WNT signaling in the skin precedes, and is required for, localized expression of regulatory genes and initiation of hair follicle placode formation. ..
- Lee Y, Aoki Y, Hong C, Saint Germain N, Credidio C, Saint Jeannet J. Early requirement of the transcriptional activator Sox9 for neural crest specification in Xenopus. Dev Biol. 2004;275:93-103 pubmed..Finally, using a hormone-inducible inhibitory mutant of Sox9, lacking the transactivation domain, we show that Sox9 function is required for neural crest specification but not for its subsequent migration. ..
- Liu W, Komiya Y, Mezzacappa C, Khadka D, RUNNELS L, Habas R. MIM regulates vertebrate neural tube closure. Development. 2011;138:2035-47 pubmed publisher..Together, our studies define a morphogenetic pathway involving Daam1 and MIM that transduces non-canonical Wnt signaling for the cytoskeletal changes and membrane dynamics required for vertebrate neural tube closure. ..
- O Hara F, Beck E, Barr L, Wong L, Kessler D, Riddle R. Zebrafish Lmx1b.1 and Lmx1b.2 are required for maintenance of the isthmic organizer. Development. 2005;132:3163-73 pubmed..We propose that Lmx1b.1- and Lmx1b.2-mediated regulation of wnt1, wnt3a, wnt10b, pax8 and fgf8 maintains cell survival in the isthmocerebellar region. ..
- Banerjee S, Gordon L, Donn T, Berti C, Moens C, Burden S, et al. A novel role for MuSK and non-canonical Wnt signaling during segmental neural crest cell migration. Development. 2011;138:3287-96 pubmed publisher..We propose that a Wnt11r-MuSK dependent, PCP-like pathway restricts neural crest cells to their segmental path. ..
- Fischer L, Boland G, Tuan R. Wnt signaling during BMP-2 stimulation of mesenchymal chondrogenesis. J Cell Biochem. 2002;84:816-31 pubmed..We suggest that the chondro-inhibitory effect of lithium on BMP-2 induced chondrogenesis indicates antagonism between lithium-like Wnts and BMP-2 during mesenchymal condensation. ..
- Bae S, Reid C, Kessler D. Siamois and Twin are redundant and essential in formation of the Spemann organizer. Dev Biol. 2011;352:367-81 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate the functional redundancy of Sia and Twn and their essential role in direct transcriptional responses necessary for Spemann organizer formation...
- Kelly C, Chin A, Leatherman J, Kozlowski D, Weinberg E. Maternally controlled (beta)-catenin-mediated signaling is required for organizer formation in the zebrafish. Development. 2000;127:3899-911 pubmed..This work demonstrates that a maternal gene controlling localization of (beta)-catenin in dorsal nuclei is necessary for dorsal yolk syncytial layer gene activity and formation of the organizer in the zebrafish. ..
- Peng T, Tian Y, Boogerd C, Lu M, Kadzik R, Stewart K, et al. Coordination of heart and lung co-development by a multipotent cardiopulmonary progenitor. Nature. 2013;500:589-92 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies identify a novel population of multipotent cardiopulmonary progenitors that coordinates heart and lung co-development that is required for adaptation to terrestrial existence. ..
- Clark C, Cohen I, Eichstetter I, Cannizzaro L, McPherson J, Wasmuth J, et al. Molecular cloning of the human proto-oncogene Wnt-5A and mapping of the gene (WNT5A) to chromosome 3p14-p21. Genomics. 1993;18:249-60 pubmed..Finally, using a combination of Southern blotting, PCR amplification, and in situ hybridization, the human Wnt-5A (WNT5A) gene was mapped to chromosome 3p14-p21. ..
- Cohen E, Ihida Stansbury K, Lu M, Panettieri R, Jones P, Morrisey E. Wnt signaling regulates smooth muscle precursor development in the mouse lung via a tenascin C/PDGFR pathway. J Clin Invest. 2009;119:2538-49 pubmed publisher..Together, these data define a Wnt/Tnc/Pdgfr signaling axis that is critical for smooth muscle development and disease progression in the lung. ..
- Liu F, Thirumangalathu S, Gallant N, Yang S, Stoick Cooper C, Reddy S, et al. Wnt-beta-catenin signaling initiates taste papilla development. Nat Genet. 2007;39:106-12 pubmed..Thus, Wnt-beta-catenin signaling is critical for fungiform papilla and taste bud development. Altered regulation of this pathway may underlie evolutionary changes in taste papilla patterning. ..
- Cohen E, Mariol M, Wallace R, Weyers J, Kamberov Y, Pradel J, et al. DWnt4 regulates cell movement and focal adhesion kinase during Drosophila ovarian morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2002;2:437-48 pubmed..The DWnt4 cell motility pathway is distinct from both the canonical Wnt pathway and the planar polarity pathway. Our data suggest that DWnt4 facilitates motility through regulation of focal adhesions. ..
- Howard R, Sundaram M. C. elegans EOR-1/PLZF and EOR-2 positively regulate Ras and Wnt signaling and function redundantly with LIN-25 and the SUR-2 Mediator component. Genes Dev. 2002;16:1815-27 pubmed..Further studies of eor-1 and eor-2 may provide insight into the roles of PLZF in normal development and leukemogenesis. ..
- Saint Germain N, Lee Y, Zhang Y, Sargent T, Saint Jeannet J. Specification of the otic placode depends on Sox9 function in Xenopus. Development. 2004;131:1755-63 pubmed..We propose that Sox9 is one of the key regulators of inner ear specification in Xenopus. ..
- Ito M, Yang Z, Andl T, Cui C, Kim N, Millar S, et al. Wnt-dependent de novo hair follicle regeneration in adult mouse skin after wounding. Nature. 2007;447:316-20 pubmed..These findings suggest treatments for wounds, hair loss and other degenerative skin disorders. ..
- Yao J, Kessler D. Goosecoid promotes head organizer activity by direct repression of Xwnt8 in Spemann's organizer. Development. 2001;128:2975-87 pubmed..Therefore, Gsc promotes head organizer activity by direct repression of Xwnt8 in Spemann's organizer and this activity is essential for anterior development...
- Zhang Y, Goss A, Cohen E, Kadzik R, Lepore J, Muthukumaraswamy K, et al. A Gata6-Wnt pathway required for epithelial stem cell development and airway regeneration. Nat Genet. 2008;40:862-70 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate that Gata6-regulated Wnt signaling controls the balance between progenitor expansion and epithelial differentiation required for both lung development and regeneration. ..
- Huang X, Saint Jeannet J. Induction of the neural crest and the opportunities of life on the edge. Dev Biol. 2004;275:1-11 pubmed..We also summarize some of these findings and discuss how the differential activation of these genes may contribute to the establishment of neural crest diversity. ..
- Fischer L, Boland G, Tuan R. Wnt-3A enhances bone morphogenetic protein-2-mediated chondrogenesis of murine C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal cells. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30870-8 pubmed
- Buratovich M, Anderson S, Gieseler K, Pradel J, Wilder E. DWnt-4 and Wingless have distinct activities in the Drosophila dorsal epidermis. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:111-9 pubmed..The dorsal epidermis may therefore be useful in the identification of novel Wnt signaling components. ..
- Mizushima T, Nakagawa H, Kamberov Y, Wilder E, Klein P, Rustgi A. Wnt-1 but not epidermal growth factor induces beta-catenin/T-cell factor-dependent transcription in esophageal cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2002;62:277-82 pubmed..A comparison of extracellular stimuli suggests that specific Wnt family members stabilize beta-catenin with resulting activation of TCF-dependent transcription in ESCC. ..
- Kong J, Crissey M, Stairs D, Sepulveda A, Lynch J. Cox2 and ?-catenin/T-cell factor signaling intestinalize human esophageal keratinocytes when cultured under organotypic conditions. Neoplasia. 2011;13:792-805 pubmed..We conclude that in vitro modeling of BE pathogenesis can be improved by enhancing Wnt signaling and Cox2 activity and using three-dimensional organotypic culture conditions. ..
- Yasuhara R, Ohta Y, Yuasa T, Kondo N, Hoang T, Addya S, et al. Roles of ?-catenin signaling in phenotypic expression and proliferation of articular cartilage superficial zone cells. Lab Invest. 2011;91:1739-52 pubmed publisher..Together, the data reveal that Wnt/?-catenin signaling is a key regulator of SFZ cell phenotype and proliferation, and may be as important for articular cartilage long-term function. ..
- Nagayama M, Iwamoto M, Hargett A, Kamiya N, Tamamura Y, Young B, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling regulates cranial base development and growth. J Dent Res. 2008;87:244-9 pubmed..This pathway promotes chondrocyte maturation and ossification events, and may exert this important role by dampening the effects of Ihh-PTHrP together with sFRP-1. ..
- Wang Y. Wnt/Planar cell polarity signaling: a new paradigm for cancer therapy. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009;8:2103-9 pubmed publisher..This review underscores the emerging theme that deregulated PCP signaling contributes to tumorigenesis, providing new potential targets for cancer therapy. ..
- Yasuhara R, Yuasa T, Williams J, Byers S, Shah S, Pacifici M, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin and retinoic acid receptor signaling pathways interact to regulate chondrocyte function and matrix turnover. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:317-27 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data indicate that the Wnt and retinoid signaling pathways do interact in chondrocytes, and their cross-talks and cross-regulation play important roles in the regulation of cartilage matrix homeostasis. ..
- Bhattacharyya R, Noch E, Khalili K. A novel role of Rac1 GTPase in JCV T-antigen-mediated beta-catenin stabilization. Oncogene. 2007;26:7628-36 pubmed publisher..These observations unravel the interplay between beta-catenin and Rac1 that is initiated by T-Ag and results in stabilization of beta-catenin and its presence in cell membrane ruffles...
- Shu W, Guttentag S, Wang Z, Andl T, Ballard P, Lu M, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol. 2005;283:226-39 pubmed..Thus, Wnt/beta-catenin signaling is a critical upstream regulator of proximal-distal patterning in the lung, in part, through regulation of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling. ..
- Cohen E, Wang Z, Lepore J, Lu M, Taketo M, Epstein D, et al. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes expansion of Isl-1-positive cardiac progenitor cells through regulation of FGF signaling. J Clin Invest. 2007;117:1794-804 pubmed..These data reveal what we believe to be a novel Wnt-FGF signaling axis required for expansion of Isl-1-positive AHF progenitors and suggest future therapies to increase the number and function of these cells for cardiac regeneration. ..
- Gunther E, Moody S, Belka G, Hahn K, Innocent N, Dugan K, et al. Impact of p53 loss on reversal and recurrence of conditional Wnt-induced tumorigenesis. Genes Dev. 2003;17:488-501 pubmed
- Mazumdar J, O Brien W, Johnson R, Lamanna J, Chavez J, Klein P, et al. O2 regulates stem cells through Wnt/?-catenin signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1007-13 pubmed publisher..This decline correlates with reduced Wnt/?-catenin signalling in the subgranular zone. O2 availability, therefore, may have a direct role in stem cell regulation through HIF-1? modulation of Wnt/?-catenin signalling...
- Gay D, Kwon O, Zhang Z, Spata M, Plikus M, Holler P, et al. Fgf9 from dermal ?? T cells induces hair follicle neogenesis after wounding. Nat Med. 2013;19:916-23 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the essential relationship between the immune system and tissue regeneration. The importance of Fgf9 in hair follicle regeneration suggests that it could be used therapeutically in humans. ..