Experts and Doctors on water in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Kim S, Pickup S, Hsu O, Poptani H. Diffusion tensor MRI in rat models of invasive and well-demarcated brain tumors. NMR Biomed. 2008;21:208-16 pubmed
- Yang C, Sharp K. Hydrophobic tendency of polar group hydration as a major force in type I antifreeze protein recognition. Proteins. 2005;59:266-74 pubmed..The specific shape, residue size, and clustering of both polar and apoler groups are essential for an active ice binding surface. ..
- Bronson J, Lee O, Saven J. Molecular Dynamics Simulation of WSK-3, a Computationally Designed, Water-Soluble Variant of the Integral Membrane Protein KcsA. Biophys J. 2006;90:1156-63 pubmed..These simulations provide an atomistic analysis of the CAMPS strategy and its implications for further investigations of membrane proteins. ..
- Suri R, Singh T, Abburi S. Influence of alkalinity and salinity on the sonochemical degradation of estrogen hormones in aqueous solution. Environ Sci Technol. 2010;44:1373-9 pubmed publisher..A mechanistic approach was used to model the degradation behavior of estrogen hormones under different solution alkalinity and salinity conditions. ..
- Liu C, Thompson J, Bau H. A membrane-based, high-efficiency, microfluidic debubbler. Lab Chip. 2011;11:1688-93 pubmed publisher..Our debubbler was able to completely filter gas bubbles out of a segmented flow at rates up to 60 µl s(-1) mm(-2) of membrane area. ..
- Ho C, Stubbs C. Hydration at the membrane protein-lipid interface. Biophys J. 1992;63:897-902 pubmed..Altered hydration at the protein-lipid interface could affect conformation, thereby offering a new route by which membrane protein functioning may be modified. ..
- Tucker M, Gai X, Fenlon E, Brewer S, Hochstrasser R. 2D IR photon echo of azido-probes for biomolecular dynamics. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2011;13:2237-41 pubmed publisher..100 times that of nitriles. ..
- Salganicoff L, Russo M. An hypothesis on the consolidation and PGE1-induced deconsolidation of a platelet plug. Platelets. 2003;14:463-71 pubmed
- Lopez C, Nielsen S, Ensing B, Moore P, Klein M. Structure and dynamics of model pore insertion into a membrane. Biophys J. 2005;88:3083-94 pubmed..When the rotation is complete these lipids detach from the tube caps and fuse with the lower leaflet lipids. ..
- Ghosh A, Qiu J, Degrado W, Hochstrasser R. Tidal surge in the M2 proton channel, sensed by 2D IR spectroscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:6115-20 pubmed publisher..1.3 ps at pH 6.2. Thus, protonation of His37 at low pH causes liquid-like water molecules to flow into the neighborhood of the Gly34. ..
- Gallagher K, Sharp K. Analysis of thermal hysteresis protein hydration using the random network model. Biophys Chem. 2003;105:195-209 pubmed..It is concluded that these two specific features of the hydration structure are important for this surface to recognize, and preferentially interact with nascent ice crystals forming in liquid water. ..
- Liu Q, Fassihi R. Zero-order delivery of a highly soluble, low dose drug alfuzosin hydrochloride via gastro-retentive system. Int J Pharm. 2008;348:27-34 pubmed
- Vijayan K, Discher D, Lal J, Janmey P, Goulian M. Interactions of membrane-active peptides with thick, neutral, nonzwitterionic bilayers. J Phys Chem B. 2005;109:14356-64 pubmed..We find that although alamethicin is too small to span the bilayer, the peptide interacts with, and ruptures, thick polymer membranes. ..
- Urbanc B, Betnel M, Cruz L, Bitan G, Teplow D. Elucidation of amyloid beta-protein oligomerization mechanisms: discrete molecular dynamics study. J Am Chem Soc. 2010;132:4266-80 pubmed publisher..The oligomer structure of both Arctic peptides resembled Abeta(1-42) more than Abeta(1-40), consistent with their potentially more toxic nature. ..
- Yang C, Sharp K. The mechanism of the type III antifreeze protein action: a computational study. Biophys Chem. 2004;109:137-48 pubmed..It is concluded that the specific shape, residue size and clustering of both polar/apolar groups are essential for the binding surface to recognize, and preferentially interact with nascent ice crystals forming in liquid water. ..
- Corlu A, Durduran T, Choe R, Schweiger M, Hillman E, Arridge S, et al. Uniqueness and wavelength optimization in continuous-wave multispectral diffuse optical tomography. Opt Lett. 2003;28:2339-41 pubmed..Application of these concepts should significantly improve the fidelity of continuous-wave diffuse near-infrared optical tomography in tissues. ..
- Xu S, Mutharasan R. Rapid and sensitive detection of Giardia lamblia using a piezoelectric cantilever biosensor in finished and source waters. Environ Sci Technol. 2010;44:1736-41 pubmed publisher..We also show the feasibility of analyzing at a low concentration of 1 cyst/mL in a one liter sample at a high flow rate of 5 mL/min. ..
- Hill P, Wei Q, Eckenhoff R, Dmochowski I. Thermodynamics of xenon binding to cryptophane in water and human plasma. J Am Chem Soc. 2007;129:9262-3 pubmed
- Toal S, Meral D, Verbaro D, Urbanc B, Schweitzer Stenner R. pH-Independence of trialanine and the effects of termini blocking in short peptides: a combined vibrational, NMR, UVCD, and molecular dynamics study. J Phys Chem B. 2013;117:3689-706 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the alanine dipeptide shows a reduced water density around the central residue as well as a less ordered hydration shell, which decreases the pPII propensity and reduces the lifetime of sampled conformations. ..
- Skinner J, Lim W, Bedard S, Black B, Englander S. Protein dynamics viewed by hydrogen exchange. Protein Sci. 2012;21:996-1005 pubmed publisher..Many of these motions occur over time scales that are appropriate for biochemical function. ..
- McQueney M, Anderson K, Markham G. Energetics of S-adenosylmethionine synthetase catalysis. Biochemistry. 2000;39:4443-54 pubmed..The uniformly slow binding rates of 10(4)-10(5) M(-)(1) s(-)(1) for ligands with different structures suggest that loop movement may be an intrinsic property of the protein rather than being ligand induced. ..
- Patil R, Speaker T. Retention of trypsin activity in spermine alginate microcapsules. J Microencapsul. 1997;14:469-74 pubmed..Thus, it is clear that a single protein, as represented by trypsin, can retain functional integrity when encapsulated in this all aqueous system. ..
- Smith L, Chiaro J, Nerurkar N, Cortes D, Horava S, Hebela N, et al. Nucleus pulposus cells synthesize a functional extracellular matrix and respond to inflammatory cytokine challenge following long-term agarose culture. Eur Cell Mater. 2011;22:291-301 pubmed..IL-1ra significantly attenuated degradative changes induced by IL-1β. These results suggest that this in vitro model represents a reliable and cost-effective platform for evaluating new therapies for disc degeneration. ..
- Marks M. Determination of molecular size by zonal sedimentation analysis on sucrose density gradients. Curr Protoc Cell Biol. 2001;Chapter 5:Unit 5.3 pubmed publisher..There is also an additional protocol for differential sedimentation on gradients made with water and deuterium oxide to allow for direct determination of the partial specific volume of a protein or complexes. ..
- Galindo Cuspinera V, Breslin P. Taste after-images: the science of "water-tastes". Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007;64:2049-52 pubmed
- Helliker B. On the controls of leaf-water oxygen isotope ratios in the atmospheric Crassulacean acid metabolism epiphyte Tillandsia usneoides. Plant Physiol. 2011;155:2096-107 pubmed publisher..87*x - 0.99; r(2) = 0.92), and when h > 0.9, the leaf did not need to be at isotopic steady state for the δ(18)O(L-M) model to predict δ(18)O(L) in the Crassulacean acid metabolism epiphyte Tillandsia usneoides. ..
- Reina R, Jones T, Spotila J. Salt and water regulation by the leatherback sea turtle Dermochelys coriacea. J Exp Biol. 2002;205:1853-60 pubmed..The results showed that hatchling leatherbacks are able to tolerate significant changes in internal composition and efficiently use their salt glands to establish internal ionic and water balance when in sea water. ..
- Cengel K, Diffenderfer E, Avery S, Kennedy A, McDonough J. Using electron beam radiation to simulate the dose distribution for whole body solar particle event proton exposure. Radiat Environ Biophys. 2010;49:715-21 pubmed publisher..These studies will help to better define the topography of the time-dose-fractionation versus biological response landscape for astronaut exposure to an SPE...
- Fiddler W, Pensabene J, Gates R, Foster J, Smith W. Investigations on N-nitrosopyrrolidine in dry-cured bacon. J Assoc Off Anal Chem. 1989;72:19-22 pubmed..A significant correlation (P less than 0.01) was found between residual NaNO2 prior to frying and NPYR after frying. The elimination of added nitrate in the dry-cure formulations is recommended...
- Au G, Shih W, Tseng S, Shih W. Aqueous CdPbS quantum dots for near-infrared imaging. Nanotechnology. 2012;23:275601 pubmed publisher..Cells transfected with CdPbS QDs were shown to be visible underneath a slab of chicken muscle tissue of up to 0.7 mm in thickness without the use of multiple-photon microscopy...
- Li H, Li M, Shih W, Lelkes P, Shih W. Cytotoxicity tests of water soluble ZnS and CdS quantum dots. J Nanosci Nanotechnol. 2011;11:3543-51 pubmed..The nontoxicity of the aqueous ZnS QDs makes them favorable for in vivo imaging applications...
- Toal S, Amidi O, Schweitzer Stenner R. Conformational changes of trialanine induced by direct interactions between alanine residues and alcohols in binary mixtures of water with glycerol and ethanol. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133:12728-39 pubmed publisher..g., glycerol and peptides in aqueous solutions, in line with the result of recent calculations by Vagenende et al. (Biochemistry 2009, 48, 11084-11096) but at variance with preferential exclusion theories...
- LeBard D, Matyushov D. Protein-water electrostatics and principles of bioenergetics. Phys Chem Chem Phys. 2010;12:15335-48 pubmed publisher..In other words, the protein-water tandem allows both the formation of a ferroelectric mesophase in the hydration shell and an efficient control of the energetics by manipulating the relaxation times. ..
- Holloway J, Lowman A, Palmese G. Mechanical evaluation of poly(vinyl alcohol)-based fibrous composites as biomaterials for meniscal tissue replacement. Acta Biomater. 2010;6:4716-24 pubmed publisher..It is possible that the formation of regions with highly concentrated amounts of PVA increases the load-bearing ability of the hydrogels...
- Galindo Cuspinera V, Winnig M, Bufe B, Meyerhof W, Breslin P. A TAS1R receptor-based explanation of sweet 'water-taste'. Nature. 2006;441:354-7 pubmed..This 'rebound' activity occurs when equilibrium forces on the two-state allosteric sweet receptors result in their coordinated shift to the activated state upon being released from inhibition by rinsing. ..
- Casper B, Forseth I, Wait D. Variation in carbon isotope discrimination in relation to plant performance in a natural population of Cryptantha flava. Oecologia. 2005;145:541-8 pubmed..These results suggest that the direction of phenotypic selection on Delta changes as plants grow. ..
- Zelent B, Buettger C, Grimsby J, Sarabu R, Vanderkooi J, Wand A, et al. Thermal stability of glucokinase (GK) as influenced by the substrate glucose, an allosteric glucokinase activator drug (GKA) and the osmolytes glycerol and urea. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1824:769-84 pubmed publisher..This study establishes the foundation for exploring numerous instability mutants among the more than 600 variant GKs causing diabetes in animals and humans...
- Hill P, Wei Q, Troxler T, Dmochowski I. Substituent effects on xenon binding affinity and solution behavior of water-soluble cryptophanes. J Am Chem Soc. 2009;131:3069-77 pubmed publisher..Specifically, whereas only the crown-crown conformer of TTPC was observed, a crown-saddle conformer of TAAC was also assigned in aqueous solution...
- Lamoureux G, Klein M, Berneche S. A stable water chain in the hydrophobic pore of the AmtB ammonium transporter. Biophys J. 2007;92:L82-4 pubmed..The probable presence of water molecules in the pore would influence the relative stability of NH(3) and NH(4)(+), and thus calls for a reassessment of the overall permeation mechanism in ammonium transporters. ..
- Shah R, D mello A. Stabilization of phenylalanine ammonia lyase against organic solvent mediated deactivation. Int J Pharm. 2007;331:107-15 pubmed..Emulsification of PAL solution with E:E resulted in a 50% decrease in its activity. Among the additives, hydroxypropyl-gamma-cyclodextrin and hydroxy propyl-beta-cyclodextrin protected PAL against emulsion mediated loss in activity...