Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on retrospective studies in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: retrospective studies
Publications710 found, 100 shown here
- Fogh S, Andrews D, Glass J, Curran W, GLASS C, Champ C, et al. Hypofractionated stereotactic radiation therapy: an effective therapy for recurrent high-grade gliomas. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:3048-53 pubmed publisher..This is the largest series to examine the efficacy and tolerability of H-SRT in recurrent HGG. ..
- Zeeshan A, Woo E, Bavaria J, Fairman R, Desai N, Pochettino A, et al. Thoracic endovascular aortic repair for acute complicated type B aortic dissection: superiority relative to conventional open surgical and medical therapy. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010;140:S109-15; discussion S142-S146 pubmed publisher..Longer follow-up demonstrating survival benefit is needed before definitive conclusion can be made. ..
- Mraovic B, Suh D, Jacovides C, Parvizi J. Perioperative hyperglycemia and postoperative infection after lower limb arthroplasty. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2011;5:412-8 pubmed..Even patients without a diagnosis of DM who developed postoperative hyperglycemia had a significantly increased risk for the infection. ..
- Park M, Hsu J, Harper C, Sennett B, Huffman G. Poly-L/D-lactic acid anchors are associated with reoperation and failure of SLAP repairs. Arthroscopy. 2011;27:1335-40 pubmed publisher..Our recommendation is that glenoid labrum repairs be performed with nondegradable material and, specifically, that the use of anchors composed of PLDLA material should be avoided. ..
- Turaka K, Nottage J, Hammersmith K, Nagra P, Rapuano C. Dry eye syndrome in aromatase inhibitor users. Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2013;41:239-43 pubmed publisher..5% of patients. Because the prevalence of ocular surface disease signs and symptoms appears to be higher in study group than control patients, aromatase inhibitors might be a contributing factor to the dry eye symptoms. ..
- Moignier A, Gelover E, Wang D, Smith B, Flynn R, Kirk M, et al. Theoretical Benefits of Dynamic Collimation in Pencil Beam Scanning Proton Therapy for Brain Tumors: Dosimetric and Radiobiological Metrics. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016;95:171-80 pubmed publisher..A general improvement of the OAR sparing was also observed. The lateral penumbra reduction afforded by the DCS increases the normal tissue sparing capabilities of PBS PT for brain cancer treatment while preserving target coverage. ..
- Reynolds C, Lappin M. "Candidatus Mycoplasma haemominutum" infections in 21 client-owned cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2007;43:249-57 pubmed..Of these cats, anemia resolved in one cat without treatment and in three cats that were treated with doxycycline, with or without prednisone. Results of the study suggest that this hemoplasma species can be a primary pathogen in cats. ..
- Gates M, Nolan T. Risk factors for endoparasitism in dogs: retrospective case-control study of 6578 veterinary teaching hospital cases. J Small Anim Pract. 2009;50:636-40 pubmed..The diagnostic utility of routine faecal examinations can be greatly enhanced through an appreciation of risk factors most commonly associated with endoparasitism...
- Predina J, Puc M, Bergey M, Sonnad S, Kucharczuk J, Staddon A, et al. Improved survival after pulmonary metastasectomy for soft tissue sarcoma. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6:913-9 pubmed publisher..This improvement does not seem to be the result of greater use of, or newer, chemotherapeutic regimens. Among potential explanations, improved patient selection is the most likely factor. ..
- Glanzman A, Flickinger J, Dholakia K, BÃ¶nnemann C, Finkel R. Serial casting for the management of ankle contracture in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2011;23:275-9 pubmed publisher..Improvement in range of motion with the application of serial casting was found with no loss of function or speed despite the period of immobilization. ..
- Plastaras C, Joshi A, Garvan C, Chimes G, Smeal W, Rittenberg J, et al. Adverse events associated with fluoroscopically guided sacroiliac joint injections. PM R. 2012;4:473-8 pubmed publisher..To describe the type, incidence, and factors that contribute to adverse events associated with fluoroscopically guided intra-articular sacroiliac joint injections (IASIJ)...
- Lo Re V, Volk J, Newcomb C, Yang Y, Freeman C, Hennessy S, et al. Risk of hip fracture associated with hepatitis C virus infection and hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus coinfection. Hepatology. 2012;56:1688-98 pubmed publisher..HCV-monoinfected patients had an increased risk of hip fracture, compared to uninfected individuals. ..
- Khuthaila M, Hsu J, Chiang A, Decroos F, Milder E, Setlur V, et al. Postoperative vitreous hemorrhage after diabetic 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy. Am J Ophthalmol. 2013;155:757-63, 763.e1-2 pubmed publisher..To report the frequency of postoperative vitreous hemorrhage (VH) in eyes that underwent primary 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy (PPV) for nonclearing VH resulting from proliferative diabetic retinopathy, as well as associated risk factors...
- Mullen M, Kasner S, Kallan M, Kleindorfer D, Albright K, Carr B. Joint commission primary stroke centers utilize more rt-PA in the nationwide inpatient sample. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2:e000071 pubmed publisher..This association was significant after adjustment for patient and hospital-level variables. Systems of care are necessary to ensure stroke patients have rapid access to PSCs throughout the United States. ..
- Gans I, Flynn J, Sankar W. Abduction bracing for residual acetabular dysplasia in infantile DDH. J Pediatr Orthop. 2013;33:714-8 pubmed publisher..Part-time use of an abduction orthosis is effective for improving residual acetabular dysplasia in infants with DDH. Level III-retrospective comparative study. ..
- Epstein A, Abraham W, Bianco N, Kern K, MIRRO M, Rao S, et al. Wearable cardioverter-defibrillator use in patients perceived to be at high risk early post-myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:2000-2007 pubmed publisher..4%, and the risk was highest in the first month of WCD use. The WCD may benefit individual patients selected for high risk of SCA early post-MI. ..
- Ghadimi K, Gutsche J, Setegne S, Jackson K, Augoustides J, Ochroch E, et al. Severity and Duration of Metabolic Acidosis After Deep Hypothermic Circulatory Arrest for Thoracic Aortic Surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015;29:1432-40 pubmed publisher..The severity of metabolic acidosis was best predicted by the BMI and had minimal effects on short-term outcomes. Preventing hyperchloremic acidosis has the potential to decrease the severity of metabolic acidosis after DHCA. ..
- Barbieri J, James W, Margolis D. Trends in prescribing behavior of systemic agents used in the treatment of acne among dermatologists and nondermatologists: A retrospective analysis, 2004-2013. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:456-463.e4 pubmed publisher..Additional work to identify patients who would benefit most from alternative therapies such as spironolactone, oral contraceptives, or isotretinoin represents a potential opportunity to improve the care of patients with acne. ..
- Shabshin N, Schweitzer M, Morrison W, Carrino J, Keller M, Grissom L. High-signal T2 changes of the bone marrow of the foot and ankle in children: red marrow or traumatic changes?. Pediatr Radiol. 2006;36:670-6 pubmed..We believe that these high-signal areas are normal and represent residual hematopoietic marrow. ..
- Dallal R, Bailey L, Nahmias N. Back to basics--clinical diagnosis in bariatric surgery. Routine drains and upper GI series are unnecessary. Surg Endosc. 2007;21:2268-71 pubmed..In this small series, clinical indicators for leak, obstruction or bleeding were obvious without the additional data from a drain or UGI. ..
- Abdalla Y, Elsahn A, Hammersmith K, Cohen E. SynergEyes lenses for keratoconus. Cornea. 2010;29:5-8 pubmed publisher..SynergEyes lenses are a promising alternative for visual rehabilitation in patients with KC and PMD who are intolerant or unable to be fit in RGP lenses. ..
- Cahill P, Warnick D, Lee M, Gaughan J, Vogel L, Hammerberg K, et al. Infection after spinal fusion for pediatric spinal deformity: thirty years of experience at a single institution. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010;35:1211-7 pubmed publisher..Eradication of infection can be expected, but implant removal is often required. Should implants be totally removed, significant progression of the deformity is possible. ..
- Accardo J, Shults J, Leonard M, Traylor J, Marcus C. Differences in overnight polysomnography scores using the adult and pediatric criteria for respiratory events in adolescents. Sleep. 2010;33:1333-9 pubmed..Use of adult rule A results in fewer children meeting criteria for OSA. Further research into the clinical relevance of the scoring metric in adolescents is warranted. ..
- Somwaru L, Arnold A, Cappola A. Predictors of thyroid hormone initiation in older adults: results from the cardiovascular health study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2011;66:809-14 pubmed publisher..Despite widespread use, there are no data on initiation of thyroid hormone use in older people. We report the prevalence of thyroid hormone use and predictors of thyroid hormone initiation in a population of older men and women...
- Caroff D, Norris A, Keller S, Vinnard C, Zeitler K, Lukaszewicz J, et al. Catheter salvage in home infusion patients with central line-associated bloodstream infection. Am J Infect Control. 2014;42:1331-3 pubmed publisher..Relapse of infection was uncommon. ..
- Denburg M, Jemielita T, Tasian G, Haynes K, Mucksavage P, Shults J, et al. Assessing the risk of incident hypertension and chronic kidney disease after exposure to shock wave lithotripsy and ureteroscopy. Kidney Int. 2016;89:185-92 pubmed publisher..42 for HTN, an individual who undergoes SWL to the kidney can be expected to have a significantly increased hazard ratio for HTN of 1.96 (1.67, 2.29) compared with an individual without urolithiasis. ..
- Mirzabeigi M, Lanni M, Chang C, Stark R, Kovach S, Wu L, et al. Treating Breast Conservation Therapy Defects with Brava and Fat Grafting: Technique, Outcomes, and Safety Profile. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:372e-381e pubmed publisher..0017). There were no cases of locoregional cancer recurrence following fat grafting. Brava preexpansion was associated with higher initial fill volume in the setting of breast conservation therapy defects. ..
- Finden S, Enochs W, Rao V. Pathologic changes of the lateral pterygoid muscle in patients with derangement of the temporomandibular joint disk: objective measures at MR imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007;28:1537-9 pubmed..The goal of this study was to evaluate the lateral pterygoid muscle (LPM) in patients with TMJ dysfunction...
- Snyder J, Lipitz L, Skorupski K, Shofer F, Van Winkle T. Secondary intracranial neoplasia in the dog: 177 cases (1986-2003). J Vet Intern Med. 2008;22:172-7 pubmed publisher..This study investigates the frequency, location, and clinical findings associated with 177 secondary brain tumors in dogs...
- Greywoode J, Van Abel K, Pribitkin E. Ultrasonic bone aspirator turbinoplasty: a novel approach for management of inferior turbinate hypertrophy. Laryngoscope. 2010;120 Suppl 4:S239 pubmed publisher..The technique is simpler than conventional turbinoplasty and avoids the complications associated with turbinate resection. ..
- Ghaznawi N, Virdi A, Dayan A, Hammersmith K, Rapuano C, Laibson P, et al. Herpes zoster ophthalmicus: comparison of disease in patients 60 years and older versus younger than 60 years. Ophthalmology. 2011;118:2242-50 pubmed publisher..To study the clinical course of herpes zoster ophthalmicus (HZO) and to compare the demographics, treatments, and outcomes in patients aged <60 years versus patients aged ?60 years at the time of diagnosis...
- Shields C, Kaliki S, Shah S, Bianciotto C, Liu D, Jabbour P, et al. Minimal exposure (one or two cycles) of intra-arterial chemotherapy in the management of retinoblastoma. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:188-92 pubmed publisher..To assess the efficacy of less than 3 cycles of intra-arterial chemotherapy (IAC) for retinoblastoma...
- Wang T, Serletti J, Cuker A, McGrath J, Low D, Kovach S, et al. Free tissue transfer in the hypercoagulable patient: a review of 58 flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;129:443-53 pubmed publisher..Collaboration with a hematologist may be helpful. In this group, flap thrombosis seems to occur in the delayed period. Even with operative reexploration, salvage rates have not been promising. Risk, IV. ..
- Matone M, O Reilly A, Luan X, Localio A, Rubin D. Emergency department visits and hospitalizations for injuries among infants and children following statewide implementation of a home visitation model. Matern Child Health J. 2012;16:1754-61 pubmed publisher..Significant program variation on outcomes underscores the challenges to successful implementation. ..
- Bonin S, Pajak T, Russell A, Coia L, Paris K, Flam M, et al. Overexpression of p53 protein and outcome of patients treated with chemoradiation for carcinoma of the anal canal: a report of randomized trial RTOG 87-04. Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Cancer. 1999;85:1226-33 pubmed..Overexpression of the p53 protein may be associated with inferior outcome for patients managed with definitive chemoradiation for epidermoid carcinoma of the anal canal. ..
- McElhinney D, Yang S, Hogarty A, Rychik J, Gleason M, Zachary C, et al. Recurrent arch obstruction after repair of isolated coarctation of the aorta in neonates and young infants: is low weight a risk factor?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2001;122:883-90 pubmed..Rather, risk of recoarctation is more a function of the anatomy of the arch. Thus, it is not indicated to delay repair in low weight infants with the goal of achieving growth. ..
- Bergin D, Morrison W, Carrino J, Nallamshetty S, Bartolozzi A. Anterior cruciate ligament ganglia and mucoid degeneration: coexistence and clinical correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182:1283-7 pubmed..The purpose of our study was to describe the MR appearance and coexistence of anterior cruciate ligament ganglia with mucoid degeneration and to address the clinical significance of these entities...
- Tabbutt S, Dominguez T, Ravishankar C, Marino B, Gruber P, Wernovsky G, et al. Outcomes after the stage I reconstruction comparing the right ventricular to pulmonary artery conduit with the modified Blalock Taussig shunt. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;80:1582-90; discussion 1590-1 pubmed..Comparing shunt strategies (mBTS versus RV-PA) over the same time period, we found no difference in outcome. These data support the need for a larger prospective, randomized trial. ..
- Levinson B, Rapuano C, Cohen E, Hammersmith K, Ayres B, Laibson P. Referrals to the Wills Eye Institute Cornea Service after laser in situ keratomileusis: reasons for patient dissatisfaction. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34:32-9 pubmed publisher..To review the symptoms, findings, and management options in patients referred to the Cornea Service who were unsatisfied with results after laser in situ keratomileusis (LASIK)...
- Kahn J, Ten Have T, Iwashyna T. The relationship between hospital volume and mortality in mechanical ventilation: an instrumental variable analysis. Health Serv Res. 2009;44:862-79 pubmed publisher..Adequate risk adjustment is essential in order to obtained unbiased estimates of the volume-outcome relationship. ..
- Czosnowski Q, Wood G, Magnotti L, Croce M, Swanson J, Boucher B, et al. Adjunctive aerosolized antibiotics for treatment of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Pharmacotherapy. 2009;29:1054-60 pubmed publisher..It is noteworthy that episodes of VAP that followed intravenous therapy failure and/or that were due to multidrug-resistant organisms responded well. ..
- Agarwal B, Das P, Naresh K, Borges A. Angiogenic ability of metastatic squamous carcinoma in the cervical lymph nodes from unknown primary tumours. J Clin Pathol. 2011;64:765-70 pubmed publisher..Hence, these tumours are of a low angiogenic phenotype. They are able to develop a metastatic phenotype and grow at the metastatic site, since angiogenesis is redundant for lymph-node metastasis. ..
- Kim H, Shields C, Shah S, Kaliki S, Lally S. Giant ocular surface squamous neoplasia managed with interferon alpha-2b as immunotherapy or immunoreduction. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:938-44 pubmed publisher..In 72% of giant OSSNs IFN?2b achieved complete control (immunotherapy); there was a reduction in size (immunoreduction) in 28% of giant OSSNs. ..
- Lau K, William Gaynor J, Fuller S, Karen A Smoots -, Shah M. Long-term atrial and ventricular epicardial pacemaker lead survival after cardiac operations in pediatric patients with congenital heart disease. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:566-573 pubmed publisher..Epicardial leads had acceptable longevity despite cardiac operations for complex CHD, suggesting the long-term reliability of this pacing method. ..
- Fender E, Liang J, Sio T, Stulak J, Lennon R, Slusser J, et al. Percutaneous revascularization in patients treated with thoracic radiation for cancer. Am Heart J. 2017;187:98-103 pubmed publisher..31, P=.078; cardiac mortality 0.78, P=.49). Patients with prior thoracic radiation and coronary disease treated with PCI have similar procedural complications and long term mortality when compared to control subjects. ..
- Routman D, Funk R, Tangsriwong K, Lin A, Keeney M, Garcia J, et al. Relapse Rates With Surgery Alone in Human Papillomavirus-Related Intermediate- and High-Risk Group Oropharynx Squamous Cell Cancer: A Multi-Institutional Review. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:938-946 pubmed publisher..Risk category was associated with clinically significant relapse rates after TOS alone in HPV+ oropharyngeal cancer, comparable to historical data and traditional indications for adjuvant therapy for all oropharyngeal cancer. ..
- Pribitkin E, Friedman O, O Hara B, Cunnane M, Levi D, Rosen M, et al. Amyloidosis of the upper aerodigestive tract. Laryngoscope. 2003;113:2095-101 pubmed..Regular follow-up with laryngoscopy is indicated for early diagnosis of recurrence, and multiple surgical procedures may be required to control symptoms. ..
- Brody J, Costantino C, Berger A, Sato T, Lisanti M, Yeo C, et al. Expression of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase in metastatic malignant melanoma recruits regulatory T cells to avoid immune detection and affects survival. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:1930-4 pubmed..These data support the notion that metastatic MM cells select for expression of IDO to evade immunologic detection. Therefore, inhibition of IDO in MM patients may be a useful treatment strategy. ..
- Czosnowski Q, Wood G, Magnotti L, Croce M, Swanson J, Boucher B, et al. Clinical and microbiologic outcomes in trauma patients treated for Stenotrophomonas maltophilia ventilator-associated pneumonia. Pharmacotherapy. 2011;31:338-45 pubmed publisher..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole was the most common therapy, but clinical success rates did not differ significantly based on antibiotic selection. This study adds significantly to the available S. maltophilia VAP outcomes data. ..
- Lee I, Localio R, Brensinger C, Blumberg E, Lautenbach E, Gasink L, et al. Decreased post-transplant survival among heart transplant recipients with pre-transplant hepatitis C virus positivity. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2011;30:1266-74 pubmed publisher..8% vs 62.3%) post-transplantation. HRs did not vary by gender or overall number of heart transplantations performed at the center. Pre-transplant HCV positivity is associated with decreased survival after heart transplantation. ..
- Brooks Carthon J, Jarrín O, Sloane D, Kutney Lee A. Variations in postoperative complications according to race, ethnicity, and sex in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013;61:1499-507 pubmed publisher..To explore differences in the incidence of postoperative complications between three racial and ethnic groups (white, black, Hispanic) before and after taking into account potentially confounding patient and hospital characteristics...
- Wachtel H, Kennedy E, Zaheer S, Bartlett E, Fishbein L, Roses R, et al. Preoperative Metyrosine Improves Cardiovascular Outcomes for Patients Undergoing Surgery for Pheochromocytoma and Paraganglioma. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015;22 Suppl 3:S646-54 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the addition of preoperative metyrosine may improve operative outcomes. ..
- Ersek M, Miller S, Wagner T, Thorpe J, Smith D, Levy C, et al. Association between aggressive care and bereaved families' evaluation of end-of-life care for veterans with non-small cell lung cancer who died in Veterans Affairs facilities. Cancer. 2017;123:3186-3194 pubmed publisher..Specialized care provided within an HPC unit may mitigate the negative effects of aggressive care on these outcomes. Cancer 2017;123:3186-94. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Jadico S, Huebner A, McDonald McGinn D, Zackai E, Young T. Ocular phenotype correlations in patients with TWIST versus FGFR3 genetic mutations. J AAPOS. 2006;10:435-44 pubmed..Patients with TWIST gene mutations may have more ophthalmic abnormalities, including more strabismus, ptosis, NLDO, astigmatism, vertical deviations, and amblyopia compared with patients with FGFR3 gene mutations. ..
- Volpp K, Stone R, Lave J, Jha A, Pauly M, Klusaritz H, et al. Is thirty-day hospital mortality really lower for black veterans compared with white veterans?. Health Serv Res. 2007;42:1613-31 pubmed..This differential by age suggests that it is unlikely that lower 30-day mortality rates among blacks within VA are driven by treatment differences by race. ..
- Christie J, Bellamy S, Ware L, Lederer D, Hadjiliadis D, Lee J, et al. Construct validity of the definition of primary graft dysfunction after lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2010;29:1231-9 pubmed publisher..Grade 3 PGD was associated with the most severely altered plasma biomarker profile and the worst outcomes, regardless of the time point of grading. PGD grade at 48 and 72 hours discriminated mortality better than PGD grade at 24 hours. ..
- Sagoo M, Shields C, Mashayekhi A, Freire J, Emrich J, Reiff J, et al. Plaque radiotherapy for juxtapapillary choroidal melanoma: tumor control in 650 consecutive cases. Ophthalmology. 2011;118:402-7 pubmed publisher..To evaluate treatment of juxtapapillary choroidal melanoma with plaque radiotherapy and to investigate the role of supplemental transpupillary thermotherapy (TTT)...
- Tai T, Mills M, Beck A, Joos K, Ying G, Liu C, et al. Central corneal thickness and corneal diameter in patients with childhood glaucoma. J Glaucoma. 2006;15:524-8 pubmed..A patient with pediatric glaucoma and a larger corneal diameter was more likely to have a thinner CCT. Attention should be paid to the CCT of patients with childhood glaucomas for interpretation of intraocular pressure. ..
- Bunya V, Hammersmith K, Rapuano C, Ayres B, Cohen E. Topical and oral voriconazole in the treatment of fungal keratitis. Am J Ophthalmol. 2007;143:151-3 pubmed..To describe nine patients with fungal keratitis refractory to standard antifungal therapy whose condition was managed with voriconazole...
- Gheith M, Siam G, de Barros D, Garg S, Moster M. Role of intravitreal bevacizumab in neovascular glaucoma. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2007;23:487-91 pubmed
- Mikkelsen M, Gaieski D, Goyal M, Miltiades A, Munson J, Pines J, et al. Factors associated with nonadherence to early goal-directed therapy in the ED. Chest. 2010;138:551-8 pubmed publisher..The use of a consultation service to facilitate the implementation of EGDT may be an effective strategy to improve protocol adherence. ..
- Mercer Rosa L, Pinto N, Yang W, Tanel R, Goldmuntz E. 22q11.2 Deletion syndrome is associated with perioperative outcome in tetralogy of Fallot. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;146:868-73 pubmed publisher..Future studies are required to determine factors contributing to such differences in this susceptible population. ..
- Campbell M, Kotlyar D, Brensinger C, Lewis J, Shetty K, Bloom R, et al. Renal function after orthotopic liver transplantation is predicted by duration of pretransplantation creatinine elevation. Liver Transpl. 2005;11:1048-55 pubmed..01) after transplantation. In conclusion, duration, but not cause, of renal dysfunction predicts renal outcome in OLTa recipients. Prospective studies may use duration of renal dysfunction to help identify CKLT candidates. ..
- Kozin S, Chafetz R, Barus D, Filipone L. Magnetic resonance imaging and clinical findings before and after tendon transfers about the shoulder in children with residual brachial plexus birth palsy. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2006;15:554-61 pubmed..4 +/- 14.9%). These results demonstrate that tendon transfers improve overall shoulder motion but do not reduce humeral head subluxation or enhance glenohumeral joint realignment. ..
- Goldstein S, Katowitz W, Moshang T, Katowitz J. Pediatric thyroid-associated orbitopathy: the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia experience and literature review. Thyroid. 2008;18:997-9 pubmed publisher..Surgery is indicated in a small number of patients for cornea exposure or appearance issues. Graves' disease-associated optic neuropathy has never been reported in the pediatric population. ..
- Samdani A, Ranade A, Sciubba D, Cahill P, Antonacci M, Clements D, et al. Accuracy of free-hand placement of thoracic pedicle screws in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: how much of a difference does surgeon experience make?. Eur Spine J. 2010;19:91-5 pubmed publisher..Meticulous technique allows spine surgeons with a range of surgical experience to accurately and safely place thoracic pedicle screws in the deformed spine. The most experienced surgeons demonstrated the lowest rate of medial breaches. ..
- Scantling D, Teichman A, Kucejko R, McCracken B, Eakins J, Burns R. Identifying preventable trauma death: does autopsy serve a role in the peer review process?. J Surg Res. 2017;215:140-145 pubmed publisher..Autopsy may be of use to identify protocol failure in maturing trauma programs, to give answers to grieving families and in select situations where death was unanticipated even after a full evaluation took place. ..
- Resnick S, Seamon M, Holena D, Pascual J, Reilly P, Martin N. Early declaration of death by neurologic criteria results in greater organ donor potential. J Surg Res. 2017;218:29-34 pubmed publisher..Further research to identify what role timing plays in the management of the potential organ donor and how that relates to donor management goals is needed. ..
- Lamonte M, Silberstein S, Marcelis J. Headache associated with aseptic meningitis. Headache. 1995;35:520-6 pubmed..Although not universally present, meningeal signs, fever, and neurologic signs or symptoms should alert one to a possible central nervous system infection. ..
- Blam M, Delfyett W, Levine M, Metz D, Katzka D. Achalasia: a disease of varied and subtle symptoms that do not correlate with radiographic findings. Am J Gastroenterol. 2002;97:1916-23 pubmed..Neither the severity nor the total number of achalasia-related symptoms correlates with the severity of radiographic findings. ..
- Musani A, Haas A, Seijo L, Wilby M, Sterman D. Outpatient management of malignant pleural effusions with small-bore, tunneled pleural catheters. Respiration. 2004;71:559-66 pubmed..These catheters may provide a significantly less invasive outpatient approach to the palliative management of MPEs. ..
- Zimmerman S, Levine M, Rubesin S, Mitre M, Furth E, Laufer I, et al. Idiopathic eosinophilic esophagitis in adults: the ringed esophagus. Radiology. 2005;236:159-65 pubmed..The findings suggest that most patients with IEE have esophageal strictures, often with distinctive ringlike indentations that produce a ringed esophagus. ..
- Furuta M, Shields C, Shields L, Uysal Y, Shields J. Bilateral primary choroidal melanoma treated with bilateral plaque radiotherapy: a report of three cases. Eur J Ophthalmol. 2006;16:879-82 pubmed..To report three cases of bilateral primary choroidal melanoma treated with bilateral plaque radiotherapy...
- Hedrick H, Danzer E, Merchant A, Bebbington M, Zhao H, Flake A, et al. Liver position and lung-to-head ratio for prediction of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and survival in isolated left congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:422.e1-4 pubmed..001). Liver position is the best prenatal predictor of outcome in isolated left congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Lung-to-head ratio alone should not be used to counsel families regarding mid gestational management choices. ..
- Pulido L, Ghanem E, Joshi A, Purtill J, Parvizi J. Periprosthetic joint infection: the incidence, timing, and predisposing factors. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008;466:1710-5 pubmed publisher..This study confirmed some previously implicated factors and identified new variables that predispose patients to periprosthetic joint infection...
- Flynn J, Jones K, Garner M, Goebel J. Eleven years experience in the operative management of pediatric forearm fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 2010;30:313-9 pubmed publisher..Compartment syndrome was more frequent when IMN was used the day of injury and older children had poorer outcomes and higher rates of delayed union. Level III, Retrospective Comparative Study. ..
- Mongelluzzo J, Mohamad Z, Ten Have T, Shah S. Impact of bacterial meningitis-associated conditions on pediatric inpatient resource utilization. J Hosp Med. 2010;5:E1-7 pubmed publisher..The apparent increase in in-hospital morbidity related to these conditions should be considered in future evaluations of vaccine efficacy, novel therapeutics, and hospital resource allocation. ..
- Fisher B, Gerber J, Leckerman K, Seif A, Huang Y, Li Y, et al. Variation in hospital antibiotic prescribing practices for children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2013;54:1633-9 pubmed publisher..Antibiotic use for children with newly diagnosed ALL varies widely across children's hospitals and is not explained by demographics or illness severity. ..
- Ge B, Guzzo T, Nadolski G, Soulen M, Clark T, Malkowicz S, et al. Percutaneous Renal Cryoablation: Short-Axis Ice-Ball Margin as a Predictor of Outcome. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016;27:403-9 pubmed publisher..Although a 0.5-cm margin is preferred, a well-centered ice ball with a short-axis margin greater than 0.15 cm strongly correlated with successful ablation. ..
- Przybylski G, Sharan A. Single-stage autogenous bone grafting and internal fixation in the surgical management of pyogenic discitis and vertebral osteomyelitis. J Neurosurg. 2001;94:1-7 pubmed
- Fogel M, Weinberg P, Harris M, Rhodes L. Usefulness of magnetic resonance imaging for the diagnosis of right ventricular dysplasia in children. Am J Cardiol. 2006;97:1232-7 pubmed..This may be due to the evolving nature of the disease, which does not manifest itself from a morphologic or ventricular-function standpoint until later in development. Follow-up studies as patients age may be advantageous. ..
- Ong K, Kurtz S, Lau E, Bozic K, Berry D, Parvizi J. Prosthetic joint infection risk after total hip arthroplasty in the Medicare population. J Arthroplasty. 2009;24:105-9 pubmed publisher..This is the first study to establish the incidence and risk factors associated with early onset and delayed periprosthetic joint infection in the Medicare patient population. ..