Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on neoplasm invasiveness in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: neoplasm invasiveness
Publications134 found, 100 shown here
- Poulikakos P, Xiao G, Gallagher R, Jablonski S, Jhanwar S, Testa J. Re-expression of the tumor suppressor NF2/merlin inhibits invasiveness in mesothelioma cells and negatively regulates FAK. Oncogene. 2006;25:5960-8 pubmed..Collectively, these findings suggest that merlin inactivation is a critical step in MM pathogenesis and is related, at least in part, with upregulation of FAK activity. ..
- Zhou J, Rothman V, Sargiannidou I, Dimitrov S, Qiu C, Smith E, et al. Cloning and characterization of angiocidin, a tumor cell binding protein for thrombospondin-1. J Cell Biochem. 2004;92:125-46 pubmed..Such proteins may function as tumor-suppressor proteins, which limit the growth of tumors by inhibiting angiogenesis and cell matrix interaction. ..
- Eagle R. High-risk features and tumor differentiation in retinoblastoma: a retrospective histopathologic study. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009;133:1203-9 pubmed publisher..Retinoblastomas become progressively less differentiated with time and may be spawned by precursor retinomas. ..
- Sturm R, Satyamoorthy K, Meier F, Gardiner B, Smit D, Vaidya B, et al. Osteonectin/SPARC induction by ectopic beta(3) integrin in human radial growth phase primary melanoma cells. Cancer Res. 2002;62:226-32 pubmed
- Shields J, Shields C, Freire J, Brady L, Komarnicky L. Plaque radiotherapy for selected orbital malignancies: preliminary observations: the 2002 Montgomery Lecture, part 2. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003;19:91-5 pubmed..Based on preliminary observations, plaque radiotherapy appears to be a reasonable alternative to exenteration and external irradiation for selected orbital malignancies. ..
- Mintzer D, Zheng S, Nagamine M, Newman J, Benito M. Esthesioneuroblastoma (Olfactory Neuroblastoma) with Ectopic ACTH Syndrome: a multidisciplinary case presentation from the Joan Karnell cancer center of Pennsylvania Hospital. Oncologist. 2010;15:51-8 pubmed publisher..The case of a patient with recurrent esthesioneuroblastoma complicated by ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone production is presented, including the workup and management of this uncommon complication of an uncommon disease...
- Genua M, Xu S, Buraschi S, Peiper S, Gomella L, Belfiore A, et al. Proline-rich tyrosine kinase 2 (Pyk2) regulates IGF-I-induced cell motility and invasion of urothelial carcinoma cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40148 pubmed publisher..In addition, Pyk2 and the IGF-IR may serve as novel biomarkers with diagnostic and prognostic significance in bladder cancer...
- Lee K, Spata M, Bayne L, Buza E, Durham A, Allman D, et al. Hif1a Deletion Reveals Pro-Neoplastic Function of B Cells in Pancreatic Neoplasia. Cancer Discov. 2016;6:256-69 pubmed publisher..We therefore demonstrate a protective role for HIF1Î± in pancreatic cancer initiation and uncover a previously unrecognized function of B cells. ..
- Baloch Z, LiVolsi V. Our approach to follicular-patterned lesions of the thyroid. J Clin Pathol. 2007;60:244-50 pubmed..In this review, we present our diagnostic approach based on our experience with the histological diagnosis of these tumours, which can help in appropriate clinical management. ..
- Sharma M, Sharma M. The role of annexin II in angiogenesis and tumor progression: a potential therapeutic target. Curr Pharm Des. 2007;13:3568-75 pubmed..Compelling evidence from the literature and our own findings suggest that annexin II may be a potential target for the development of effective therapeutic strategies for the treatment of cancer and its induced metastasis. ..
- Amuthan G, Biswas G, Ananadatheerthavarada H, Vijayasarathy C, Shephard H, Avadhani N. Mitochondrial stress-induced calcium signaling, phenotypic changes and invasive behavior in human lung carcinoma A549 cells. Oncogene. 2002;21:7839-49 pubmed..Our results suggest that the mitochondria-to-nucleus signaling pathway operating through increased [Ca(2+)](c) plays an important role in cancer progression and metastasis. ..
- Bassi D, Mahloogi H, Lopez De Cicco R, Klein Szanto A. Increased furin activity enhances the malignant phenotype of human head and neck cancer cells. Am J Pathol. 2003;162:439-47 pubmed..In addition, inhibition of furin activity decreases substrate activation, proliferation rate, and invasive potential of cancer cells, suggesting that furin is a potentially useful target for therapeutics. ..
- Lee H, Solan M, Lupinacci P, Gomella L, Valicenti R. Long-term outcome of patients with prostate cancer and pathologic seminal vesicle invasion (pT3b): effect of adjuvant radiotherapy. Urology. 2004;64:84-9 pubmed..The effect on clinical outcome awaits additional follow-up. ..
- Croft D, Sahai E, Mavria G, Li S, Tsai J, Lee W, et al. Conditional ROCK activation in vivo induces tumor cell dissemination and angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 2004;64:8994-9001 pubmed..These results suggest that ROCK inhibitors would be useful antimetastatic and antiangiogenic chemotherapeutic agents in tumors associated with elevated RhoA, RhoC, ROCK I, or ROCK II expression. ..
- McIntosh A, Freedman G, Eisenberg D, Anderson P. Recurrence rates and analysis of close or positive margins in patients treated without re-excision before radiation for breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol. 2007;30:146-51 pubmed..Further research of close and positive margins is needed to validate features identified in this series, particularly nonbreast tissue anatomic margins, that are associated with low risks of local recurrence after radiation. ..
- Pitari G, Li P, Lin J, Zuzga D, Gibbons A, Snook A, et al. The paracrine hormone hypothesis of colorectal cancer. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2007;82:441-7 pubmed
- Rorke Adams L, Portnoy H. Long-term survival of an infant with gliomatosis cerebelli. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2008;2:346-50 pubmed publisher..Aside from 2 partial resections the patient underwent neither radiotherapy nor chemotherapy. He is now 21 years old and functions independently. ..
- Bassi D, Mahloogi H, Al Saleem L, Lopez De Cicco R, Ridge J, Klein Szanto A. Elevated furin expression in aggressive human head and neck tumors and tumor cell lines. Mol Carcinog. 2001;31:224-32 pubmed..These observations indicate that furin plays a role in tumor progression. Its overexpression in more aggressive or metastasizing cancers resulted in increased MMP processing. ..
- Sparano A, Chernock R, Feldman M, Laccourreye O, Brasnu D, Weinstein G. Extending the inferior limits of supracricoid partial laryngectomy: a clinicopathological correlation. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:297-300 pubmed..Organ preservation surgery is oncologically safe in the setting of glottic squamous cell carcinoma with subglottic extension of 15 mm or less and without arytenoid fixation. ..
- Lopez De Cicco R, Bassi D, Zucker S, Seidah N, Klein Szanto A. Human carcinoma cell growth and invasiveness is impaired by the propeptide of the ubiquitous proprotein convertase furin. Cancer Res. 2005;65:4162-71 pubmed..These findings suggest that furin inhibition is a feasible approach to ameliorate and even abolish the malignant phenotype of various malignancies. ..
- Fernandes A, Shen J, Finlay J, Mitra N, Evans T, Stevenson J, et al. Elective nodal irradiation (ENI) vs. involved field radiotherapy (IFRT) for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): A comparative analysis of toxicities and clinical outcomes. Radiother Oncol. 2010;95:178-84 pubmed publisher..IFRT also resulted in significantly decreased esophageal toxicity, suggesting that IFRT may allow for integration of concurrent systemic chemotherapy in a greater proportion of patients. ..
- Zhang Y, Wang W, Rapini R, Torres Cabala C, Prieto V, Curry J. Syringocystadenocarcinoma papilliferum with transition to areas of squamous differentiation: a case report and review of the literature. Am J Dermatopathol. 2012;34:428-33 pubmed publisher..Tumor cells were reactive for both cytokeratins 5/6 and 7. This case represents SCACP arising from syringocystadenoma papilliferum in the upper arm, with distinct transition to areas of squamous differentiation. ..
- Shields C, Kaliki S, Al Dahmash S, Lally S, Shields J. American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) clinical classification predicts conjunctival melanoma outcomes. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;28:313-23 pubmed publisher..Melanoma classified as T2 and T3 (compared with T1) showed significantly higher rates of local recurrence, regional lymph node metastasis, distant metastasis, and death. ..
- Boorjian S, Zhu F, Herr H. The effect of gender on response to bacillus Calmette-Guérin therapy for patients with non-muscle-invasive urothelial carcinoma of the bladder. BJU Int. 2010;106:357-61 pubmed publisher..As such, further studies are required to determine the clinical relevance of preclinical evidence that has suggested a potential role for sex steroids in the pathophysiology of bladder cancer. ..
- Salem A, Bonuccelli G, Bevilacqua G, Arafat H, Pestell R, Sotgia F, et al. Caveolin-1 promotes pancreatic cancer cell differentiation and restores membranous E-cadherin via suppression of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:3692-700 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that Cav-1 functions as a crucial modulator of EMT and cell differentiation in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Nallet Staub F, Marsaud V, Li L, Gilbert C, Dodier S, Bataille V, et al. Pro-invasive activity of the Hippo pathway effectors YAP and TAZ in cutaneous melanoma. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:123-132 pubmed publisher..Together, these results demonstrate that both YAP and TAZ contribute to the invasive and metastatic capacity of melanoma cells and may represent worthy targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Loarca L, Sassi Gaha S, Artlett C. Two ?-dicarbonyls downregulate migration, invasion, and adhesion of liver cancer cells in a p53-dependent manner. Dig Liver Dis. 2013;45:938-46 pubmed publisher..The effects of both compounds on cell invasion are dependent on p53 and imply that ?-dicarbonyls could be efficacious in the treatment of p53-expressing invasive liver tumors. ..
- Fukunaga Kalabis M, Martinez G, Telson S, Liu Z, Balint K, Juhasz I, et al. Downregulation of CCN3 expression as a potential mechanism for melanoma progression. Oncogene. 2008;27:2552-60 pubmed..Whereas major matricellular proteins, such as osteopontin, tenascin or secreted protein acidic and rich in cysteine (SPARC), are strongly upregulated in melanoma cells; CCN3 is the first member of this family that is downregulated. ..
- Wu K, Katiyar S, Li A, Liu M, Ju X, Popov V, et al. Dachshund inhibits oncogene-induced breast cancer cellular migration and invasion through suppression of interleukin-8. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:6924-9 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data identify a pathway by which an endogenous cell-fate determination factor blocks oncogene-dependent tumor metastasis via a key heterotypic mediator. ..
- Liu S, Kumar S, Lu H, Liu A, Yang R, Pushparajan A, et al. MicroRNA-9 up-regulates E-cadherin through inhibition of NF-?B1-Snail1 pathway in melanoma. J Pathol. 2012;226:61-72 pubmed publisher..This study finds a new mechanism that miR-9 utilizes to decrease E-cadherin expression and inhibit melanoma progression. The results suggest that function of microRNAs is context and tumour type-specific. ..
- Zamparelli A, Masciullo V, Bovicelli A, Santini D, Ferrandina G, Minimo C, et al. Expression of cell-cycle-associated proteins pRB2/p130 and p27kip in vulvar squamous cell carcinomas. Hum Pathol. 2001;32:4-9 pubmed
- Mercapide J, Lopez De Cicco R, Bassi D, Castresana J, Thomas G, Klein Szanto A. Inhibition of furin-mediated processing results in suppression of astrocytoma cell growth and invasiveness. Clin Cancer Res. 2002;8:1740-6 pubmed..Because furin inhibition inhibits both invasiveness and cell growth in astrocytoma, furin should be considered a promising target for glioblastoma therapy. ..
- Xu X, Gimotty P, Guerry D, Karakousis G, Van Belle P, Liang H, et al. Lymphatic invasion revealed by multispectral imaging is common in primary melanomas and associates with prognosis. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:901-9 pubmed publisher..The presence of lymphatic invasion may be a clinically useful predictor of regionally metastatic disease. ..
- Tameo M, Calligaro K, Antin L, Dougherty M. Primary leiomyosarcoma of the inferior vena cava: reports of infrarenal and suprahepatic caval involvement. J Vasc Surg. 2010;51:221-4 pubmed publisher..A review of this rare tumor is presented...
- Kennedy A, Wan X. Effects of the Bowman-Birk inhibitor on growth, invasion, and clonogenic survival of human prostate epithelial cells and prostate cancer cells. Prostate. 2002;50:125-33 pubmed..BBI or BBIC did not affect the growth of normal prostate epithelial cells. BBI and/or BBIC could be a useful agent for treatment of prostate diseases. ..
- Glass J. Neurologic complications of lymphoma and leukemia. Semin Oncol. 2006;33:342-7 pubmed..The agents used in the treatment of lymphoma and leukemia are also associated with neurological toxicity. This chapter reviews these neurological manifestations of lymphoma and leukemia and their therapies. ..
- Kim S, Pickup S, Hsu O, Poptani H. Diffusion tensor MRI in rat models of invasive and well-demarcated brain tumors. NMR Biomed. 2008;21:208-16 pubmed
- King C, Wang L, Winograd R, Madison B, Mongroo P, Johnstone C, et al. LIN28B fosters colon cancer migration, invasion and transformation through let-7-dependent and -independent mechanisms. Oncogene. 2011;30:4185-93 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish a new role for LIN28B in human colon cancer pathogenesis, and suggest LIN28B post-transcriptionally regulates LGR5 and PROM1 through a let-7-independent mechanism. ..
- Zaino R, Abendroth C, Yemelyanova A, Oliva E, Lim D, Soslow R, et al. Endocervical involvement in endometrial adenocarcinoma is not prognostically significant and the pathologic assessment of the pattern of involvement is not reproducible. Gynecol Oncol. 2013;128:83-87 pubmed publisher..Women with spread of carcinoma to the cervix do not have a significantly lower survival than matched stage I controls. Cervical spread should not be the basis for determination of stage II disease. ..
- Basak S, Speicher D, Eck S, Wunner W, Maul G, Simmons M, et al. Colorectal carcinoma invasion inhibition by CO17-1A/GA733 antigen and its murine homologue. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998;90:691-7 pubmed..05). However, GA733-transfected cells did show reduced invasion through Matrigel compared with vector-only transfected cells or parental cells (all P values <.05). The adhesion proteins GA733 and mEGP inhibit invasion of tumor cells. ..
- Mahoney M, Simpson A, Jost M, Noé M, Kari C, Pepe D, et al. Metastasis-associated protein (MTA)1 enhances migration, invasion, and anchorage-independent survival of immortalized human keratinocytes. Oncogene. 2002;21:2161-70 pubmed..These results establish that, in keratinocytes, MTA1 expression contributes to several aspects of the metastatic phenotype including survival in the anchorage independent state, migration, and invasion. ..
- Yang Y, Nakagawa H, Tetreault M, Billig J, Victor N, Goyal A, et al. Loss of transcription factor KLF5 in the context of p53 ablation drives invasive progression of human squamous cell cancer. Cancer Res. 2011;71:6475-84 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that KLF5 may be a useful diagnostic and therapeutic target in esophageal squamous carcinomas and possibly more generally in other cancers associated with p53 loss of function. ..
- Bassi D, Lopez De Cicco R, Mahloogi H, Zucker S, Thomas G, Klein Szanto A. Furin inhibition results in absent or decreased invasiveness and tumorigenicity of human cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:10326-31 pubmed..Thus, furin should be considered as a promising target for cancer therapy. ..
- Nardone H, Ziober A, LiVolsi V, Mandel S, Baloch Z, Weber R, et al. c-Met expression in tall cell variant papillary carcinoma of the thyroid. Cancer. 2003;98:1386-93 pubmed..This finding may explain the unusually aggressive behavior of this tumor and suggests a role for c-Met in the early identification of patients with tall cell variant thyroid disease. ..
- Evans T, Lynch T. Role of chemotherapy in the management of advanced thymic tumors. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2005;17:41-50 pubmed..For best results, it is important that thoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists, and medical oncologists work together to obtain the best local control of tumor and optimal treatment of metastases. ..
- Jiang X, Zhu S, Panetti T, Bromberg M. Formation of tissue factor-factor VIIa-factor Xa complex induces activation of the mTOR pathway which regulates migration of human breast cancer cells. Thromb Haemost. 2008;100:127-33 pubmed publisher..Targeting the TF-mediated cell signaling pathway might represent a novel strategy for the treatment of breast cancer. ..
- Michal A, Peck A, Tran T, Liu C, Rimm D, Rui H, et al. Differential expression of arrestins is a predictor of breast cancer progression and survival. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011;130:791-807 pubmed publisher..65. Overall, these studies demonstrate that arrestin2 levels decrease while arrestin3 levels increase during breast cancer progression and these changes correlate with a poor clinical outcome. ..
- Gravina G, Festuccia C, Popov V, Di Rocco A, Colapietro A, Sanità P, et al. c-Myc Sustains Transformed Phenotype and Promotes Radioresistance of Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma Cell Lines. Radiat Res. 2016;185:411-22 pubmed publisher..This data suggest that c-Myc targeting can be tested as a promising treatment in cancer therapy. ..
- Pretorius E, Siegelman E, Ramchandani P, Cangiano T, Banner M. Renal neoplasms amenable to partial nephrectomy: MR imaging. Radiology. 1999;212:28-34 pubmed..Renal neoplasms amenable to partial nephrectomy can be identified and characterized with contrast-enhanced, multiplanar, surface-coil MR imaging. ..
- Mahloogi H, Gonzalez Guerrico A, Lopez De Cicco R, Bassi D, Goodrow T, Braunewell K, et al. Overexpression of the calcium sensor visinin-like protein-1 leads to a cAMP-mediated decrease of in vivo and in vitro growth and invasiveness of squamous cell carcinoma cells. Cancer Res. 2003;63:4997-5004 pubmed..These results indicate that VILIP-1 plays an important role in regulating tumor cell invasiveness and that its loss could aid in enhancing the advanced malignant phenotype. ..
- Nieborowska Skorska M, Hoser G, Rink L, Malecki M, Kossev P, Wasik M, et al. Id1 transcription inhibitor-matrix metalloproteinase 9 axis enhances invasiveness of the breakpoint cluster region/abelson tyrosine kinase-transformed leukemia cells. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4108-16 pubmed..These data suggest that BCR/ABL-STAT5-Id1-MMP9 pathway may play a critical role in BCR/ABL-mediated leukemogenesis by enhancing invasiveness of leukemia cells. ..
- Iozzo R, Buraschi S, Genua M, Xu S, Solomides C, Peiper S, et al. Decorin antagonizes IGF receptor I (IGF-IR) function by interfering with IGF-IR activity and attenuating downstream signaling. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:34712-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, decorin loss may contribute to increased IGF-IR activity in the progression of bladder cancer and perhaps other forms of cancer where IGF-IR plays a role. ..
- Minn A, Bevilacqua E, Yun J, Rosner M. Identification of novel metastasis suppressor signaling pathways for breast cancer. Cell Cycle. 2012;11:2452-7 pubmed publisher..Using the RKIP pathway as an example, we show how prior biological knowledge can be efficiently combined with genome-wide patient data to identify gene regulatory mechanisms that control metastasis. ..
- Acs G, Lawton T, Rebbeck T, LiVolsi V, Zhang P. Differential expression of E-cadherin in lobular and ductal neoplasms of the breast and its biologic and diagnostic implications. Am J Clin Pathol. 2001;115:85-98 pubmed..In tumors with histologically equivocal features, immunohistochemical detection of E-cadherin expression can be a useful diagnostic tool for the differentiation of ductal and lobular carcinomas of the breast. ..
- Zahir N, Lakins J, Russell A, Ming W, Chatterjee C, Rozenberg G, et al. Autocrine laminin-5 ligates alpha6beta4 integrin and activates RAC and NFkappaB to mediate anchorage-independent survival of mammary tumors. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1397-407 pubmed..Therefore, epithelial tumors could survive in the absence of exogenous basement membrane through autocrine LM-5-alpha6beta4 integrin-RAC-NFkappaB signaling. ..
- Baumann B, Guzzo T, He J, Keefe S, Tucker K, Bekelman J, et al. A novel risk stratification to predict local-regional failures in urothelial carcinoma of the bladder after radical cystectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013;85:81-8 pubmed publisher..Modern techniques with improved normal tissue sparing have rekindled interest in RT. We assessed the risk of LF and determined those factors that predict recurrence to facilitate patient selection for future adjuvant RT trials...
- Trimmer C, Bonuccelli G, Katiyar S, Sotgia F, Pestell R, Lisanti M, et al. Cav1 suppresses tumor growth and metastasis in a murine model of cutaneous SCC through modulation of MAPK/AP-1 activation. Am J Pathol. 2013;182:992-1004 pubmed publisher..In summary, we demonstrate that loss of Cav1 affects several characteristics associated with aggressive human skin tumors and that this protein may be an important modulator of tumor growth and invasion in cSCC. ..
- Knudsen E, O Reilly E, Brody J, Witkiewicz A. Genetic Diversity of Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma and Opportunities for Precision Medicine. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:48-63 pubmed publisher..We review the latest findings in pancreatic cancer genetics and the promise of targeted approaches in PDA therapy. ..
- Bitler B, Wu S, Park P, Hai Y, Aird K, Wang Y, et al. ARID1A-mutated ovarian cancers depend on HDAC6 activity. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:962-973 pubmed publisher..Thus, ARID1A mutation inactivates the apoptosis-promoting function of p53 by upregulating HDAC6. Together, these results indicate that pharmacological inhibition of HDAC6 is a therapeutic strategy for ARID1A-mutated cancers. ..
- Canter D, Guzzo T, Resnick M, Brucker B, Vira M, Chen Z, et al. Hydronephrosis is an independent predictor of poor clinical outcome in patients treated for muscle-invasive transitional cell carcinoma with radical cystectomy. Urology. 2008;72:379-83 pubmed publisher..The purpose of this study was to assess the prognostic significance of hydronephrosis on pathologic and clinical outcomes in muscle-invasive bladder cancer...
- Aydin A, Yu J, Zhuang H, Alavi A. Detection of bone marrow metastases by FDG-PET and missed by bone scintigraphy in widespread melanoma. Clin Nucl Med. 2005;30:606-7 pubmed..This is likely the result of the fact that metastasis to bone marrow may not result in bone reaction in certain conditions and therefore bone scans may remain negative despite skeletal involvement. ..
- Acs G, Dumoff K, Solin L, Pasha T, Xu X, Zhang P. Extensive retraction artifact correlates with lymphatic invasion and nodal metastasis and predicts poor outcome in early stage breast carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007;31:129-40 pubmed..Rather, it likely signifies important biologic changes that alter tumor-stromal interactions and contribute to lymphatic spread and tumor progression. ..
- Jiao X, Katiyar S, Liu M, Mueller S, Lisanti M, Li A, et al. Disruption of c-Jun reduces cellular migration and invasion through inhibition of c-Src and hyperactivation of ROCK II kinase. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1378-90 pubmed publisher..As c-Src is a critical component of pathways regulating proliferation, survival, and metastasis, the induction of c-Src abundance, by c-Jun, provides a novel mechanism of cooperative signaling in cellular invasion. ..
- Bonuccelli G, Casimiro M, Sotgia F, Wang C, Liu M, Katiyar S, et al. Caveolin-1 (P132L), a common breast cancer mutation, confers mammary cell invasiveness and defines a novel stem cell/metastasis-associated gene signature. Am J Pathol. 2009;174:1650-62 pubmed publisher..These results directly support clinical data showing that patients harboring Cav-1 mutations are more likely to undergo recurrence and metastasis. ..
- Jambusaria Pahlajani A, Hess S, Katz K, Berg D, Schmults C. Uncertainty in the perioperative management of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma among Mohs surgeons. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146:1225-31 pubmed publisher..To evaluate whether Mohs surgeons' management of high-risk cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (HRCSCC) is uniform regarding radiologic nodal staging (RNS) and adjuvant radiation therapy (ART)...
- Rhim A, Mirek E, Aiello N, Maitra A, Bailey J, McAllister F, et al. EMT and dissemination precede pancreatic tumor formation. Cell. 2012;148:349-61 pubmed publisher..These results provide insight into the earliest events of cellular invasion in situ and suggest that inflammation enhances cancer progression in part by facilitating EMT and entry into the circulation. ..
- McCarthy A, McGuire E, Bristol M, Fredricks T, Domchek S, Armstrong K. Agreement of self-reported hormone receptor status with cancer registry data in young breast cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol. 2013;37:601-5 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest room for improvement in patient knowledge of tumor subtypes, but also that self-reported ER/PR status may be a useful surrogate when medical record or cancer registry data is unavailable. ..
- Hubbard F, Goodrow T, Liu S, Brilliant M, Basset P, Mains R, et al. Expression of PACE4 in chemically induced carcinomas is associated with spindle cell tumor conversion and increased invasive ability. Cancer Res. 1997;57:5226-31 pubmed
- Shields C, Shields J, Materin M, Gershenbaum E, Singh A, Smith A. Iris melanoma: risk factors for metastasis in 169 consecutive patients. Ophthalmology. 2001;108:172-8 pubmed..To identify risk factors that predict distant metastases of iris malignant melanoma...
- Chao A, Shields C, Krema H, Shields J. Outcome of patients with periocular sebaceous gland carcinoma with and without conjunctival intraepithelial invasion. Ophthalmology. 2001;108:1877-83 pubmed..To evaluate the clinical findings, histopathologic features, methods of management, and outcomes in 25 patients with eyelid sebaceous gland carcinoma with and without conjunctival intraepithelial (pagetoid) invasion...
- Liu Y, Xu Y, Yu Q. Full-length ADAMTS-1 and the ADAMTS-1 fragments display pro- and antimetastatic activity, respectively. Oncogene. 2006;25:2452-67 pubmed
- Metalli D, Lovat F, Tripodi F, Genua M, Xu S, Spinelli M, et al. The insulin-like growth factor receptor I promotes motility and invasion of bladder cancer cells through Akt- and mitogen-activated protein kinase-dependent activation of paxillin. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:2997-3006 pubmed publisher..Thus, the IGF-IR may also serve as a novel biomarker for bladder cancer. ..
- Michaylira C, Wong G, Miller C, Gutierrez C, Nakagawa H, Hammond R, et al. Periostin, a cell adhesion molecule, facilitates invasion in the tumor microenvironment and annotates a novel tumor-invasive signature in esophageal cancer. Cancer Res. 2010;70:5281-92 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our studies reveal periostin as an important mediator of ESCC tumor invasion and they indicate that organotypic (three-dimensional) culture can offer an important tool to discover novel biological effectors in cancer. ..
- Lee H, Tsygankov A. c-Cbl regulates glioma invasion through matrix metalloproteinase 2. J Cell Biochem. 2010;111:1169-78 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest that c-Cbl promotes glioma invasion through up-regulation of MMP2. ..
- Fredericks W, McGarvey T, Wang H, Lal P, Puthiyaveettil R, Tomaszewski J, et al. The bladder tumor suppressor protein TERE1 (UBIAD1) modulates cell cholesterol: implications for tumor progression. DNA Cell Biol. 2011;30:851-64 pubmed publisher..Elevated tumor cell cholesterol is known to affect apoptosis and growth signaling; thus, loss of TERE1 in invasive bladder cancer may represent a defect in menaquinone-mediated cholesterol homeostasis that contributes to progression. ..
- Menges C, Kadariya Y, ALTOMARE D, Talarchek J, Neumann Domer E, Wu Y, et al. Tumor suppressor alterations cooperate to drive aggressive mesotheliomas with enriched cancer stem cells via a p53-miR-34a-c-Met axis. Cancer Res. 2014;74:1261-1271 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that cooperativity between losses of Nf2 and Cdkn2a plays a fundamental role in driving the highly aggressive tumorigenic phenotype considered to be a hallmark of malignant mesothelioma. ..
- Deramaudt T, Takaoka M, Upadhyay R, Bowser M, Porter J, Lee A, et al. N-cadherin and keratinocyte growth factor receptor mediate the functional interplay between Ki-RASG12V and p53V143A in promoting pancreatic cell migration, invasion, and tissue architecture disruption. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4185-200 pubmed..Thus, we are able to define molecules that in part are directly affected by Ki-RAS and p53 during pancreatic ductal carcinogenesis, and this provides a platform for potential new molecularly based therapeutic interventions. ..
- Wu K, Li A, Rao M, Liu M, Dailey V, Yang Y, et al. DACH1 is a cell fate determination factor that inhibits cyclin D1 and breast tumor growth. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7116-29 pubmed..The cell fate determination factor, DACH1, arrests breast tumor proliferation and growth in vivo providing a new mechanistic and potential therapeutic insight into this common disease. ..
- Yu Z, Willmarth N, Zhou J, Katiyar S, Wang M, Liu Y, et al. microRNA 17/20 inhibits cellular invasion and tumor metastasis in breast cancer by heterotypic signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:8231-6 pubmed publisher..These findings not only reveal an antiinvasive function of miR-17/20 in breast cancer, but also identify a heterotypic secreted signal that mediates the microRNA regulation of tumor metastasis. ..
- Lee H, Mullins S, Franco Barraza J, Valianou M, Cukierman E, Cheng J. FAP-overexpressing fibroblasts produce an extracellular matrix that enhances invasive velocity and directionality of pancreatic cancer cells. BMC Cancer. 2011;11:245 pubmed publisher..Better understanding of the stromal influences that fuel progressive tumorigenic behaviors may allow the effective future use of targeted therapeutics aimed at disrupting specific tumor-stromal interactions. ..
- Weinstein G, Quon H, Newman H, Chalian J, Malloy K, Lin A, et al. Transoral robotic surgery alone for oropharyngeal cancer: an analysis of local control. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2012;138:628-34 pubmed publisher..7 years (range, 1.5-5.1 years), there was 1 patient with local failure (3%). As the only modality used for treatment of pathologically low-risk OSCCs, TORS provides high local control and is associated with low surgical morbidity. ..
- Lopez De Cicco R, Watson J, Bassi D, Litwin S, Klein Szanto A. Simultaneous expression of furin and vascular endothelial growth factor in human oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma progression. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:4480-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that furin is a useful marker of tumor progression and is responsible for VEGF-C processing. This in turn would enhance angiogenesis, leading to increased MVD associated with preinvasive and invasive neoplasia. ..
- Smalley K, Brafford P, Haass N, Brandner J, Brown E, Herlyn M. Up-regulated expression of zonula occludens protein-1 in human melanoma associates with N-cadherin and contributes to invasion and adhesion. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:1541-54 pubmed