Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on male in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications440 found, 100 shown here
- Aubert C, Floriani C, Bauer D, da Costa B, Segna D, Blum M, et al. Thyroid Function Tests in the Reference Range and Fracture: Individual Participant Analysis of Prospective Cohorts. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2719-2728 pubmed publisher..Among euthyroid adults, lower TSH and higher FT4 are associated with an increased risk of hip fracture. These findings may help refine the definition of optimal ranges of thyroid function tests. ..
- Menard Katcher C, Benitez A, Pan Z, Ahmed F, Wilkins B, Capocelli K, et al. Influence of Age and Eosinophilic Esophagitis on Esophageal Distensibility in a Pediatric Cohort. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1466-1473 pubmed publisher..FLIP was safe, feasible, and well tolerated. These findings suggest that remodeling occurs in the pediatric EoE population, warranting early diagnosis and initiation of therapy prior to the onset of disease complications. ..
- Gulchina Y, Xu S, Snyder M, Elefant F, Gao W. Epigenetic mechanisms underlying NMDA receptor hypofunction in the prefrontal cortex of juvenile animals in the MAM model for schizophrenia. J Neurochem. 2017;143:320-333 pubmed publisher..Read the Editorial Highlight for this article on page 264. ..
- Schonhaut D, McMillan C, Spina S, Dickerson B, Siderowf A, Devous M, et al. 18 F-flortaucipir tau positron emission tomography distinguishes established progressive supranuclear palsy from controls and Parkinson disease: A multicenter study. Ann Neurol. 2017;82:622-634 pubmed publisher..We compared in vivo 18 F-flortaucipir uptake in patients meeting clinical research criteria for PSP (n?=?33) to normal controls (n?=?46) and patients meeting criteria for Parkinson disease (PD; n?=?26)...
- Sebro R, Weintraub S. Association between lateral patellar osteoarthrosis and knee morphology and alignment in young adults. Clin Radiol. 2017;72:793.e11-793.e18 pubmed publisher..265; p=0.045) and oedema in the superolateral aspect of Hoffa's fat pad (OR=9.872; p<0.001). Patellar and trochlear morphology and patellar alignment are associated with lateral patellofemoral compartment OAC in young adults. ..
- Panepinto J, Paul Scott J, Badaki Makun O, Darbari D, Chumpitazi C, Airewele G, et al. Determining the longitudinal validity and meaningful differences in HRQL of the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2017;15:124 pubmed publisher..The study data establish longitudinal validity and meaningful change parameters for the PedsQL™ Sickle Cell Disease Module. ClinicalTrials.gov (study identifier: NCT01197417 ). Date of registration: 08/30/2010. ..
- Kable J, Caulfield M, Falcone M, McConnell M, Bernardo L, Parthasarathi T, et al. No Effect of Commercial Cognitive Training on Brain Activity, Choice Behavior, or Cognitive Performance. J Neurosci. 2017;37:7390-7402 pubmed publisher..We found no evidence for relative benefits of cognitive training with respect to changes in decision-making behavior or brain response, or for cognitive task performance beyond those specifically trained. ..
- Gallagher K, Bujoreanu I, Cheung P, Choi C, Golden S, Brodziak K, et al. Psychiatric Boarding in the Pediatric Inpatient Medical Setting: A Retrospective Analysis. Hosp Pediatr. 2017;7:444-450 pubmed publisher..However, boarding may offer a valuable opportunity for psychiatric intervention and stabilization among psychiatrically vulnerable youth. ..
- DeVilbiss E, Magnusson C, Gardner R, Rai D, Newschaffer C, Lyall K, et al. Antenatal nutritional supplementation and autism spectrum disorders in the Stockholm youth cohort: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2017;359:j4273 pubmed publisher..Further scrutiny of maternal nutrition and its role in the cause of autism is recommended...
- Lee S, Day N, Miles R, Perkins S, Lim M, Ayello J, et al. Comparative genomic expression signatures of signal transduction pathways and targets in paediatric Burkitt lymphoma: a Children's Oncology Group report. Br J Haematol. 2017;177:601-611 pubmed publisher..These pre-clinical results suggest that specific signal transduction pathways are overly expressed in PEBL and several pathways could serve as potential future therapeutic targets. ..
- Scantling D, Teichman A, Kucejko R, McCracken B, Eakins J, Burns R. Identifying preventable trauma death: does autopsy serve a role in the peer review process?. J Surg Res. 2017;215:140-145 pubmed publisher..Autopsy may be of use to identify protocol failure in maturing trauma programs, to give answers to grieving families and in select situations where death was unanticipated even after a full evaluation took place. ..
- Chien J, Sioufi K, Ferenczy S, Say E, Shields C. Optical Coherence Tomography Angiography Features of Iris Racemose Hemangioma in 4 Cases. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:1106-1110 pubmed publisher..Optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA) allows visualization of iris racemose hemangioma course and its relation to the normal iris microvasculature...
- Keeley F, Bibbo M, Bagley D. Ureteroscopic treatment and surveillance of upper urinary tract transitional cell carcinoma. J Urol. 1997;157:1560-5 pubmed..Complete endoscopic followup at regular intervals is essential to rule out recurrences. ..
- Gonzalez Ballesteros L, Ma N, Gordon R, Ward L, Backeljauw P, Wasserman H, et al. Unexpected widespread hypophosphatemia and bone disease associated with elemental formula use in infants and children. Bone. 2017;97:287-292 pubmed publisher..Transition to alternative formula use or implementation of phosphate supplementation should be performed cautiously with as severe hypocalcemia may develop. ..
- Buzi A, Coblens O, MacGillivray M, Elden L. The Use of Noninvasive Positive Pressure Ventilation following Pediatric Tonsillectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017;157:297-301 pubmed publisher..Some hesitation may exist in using this form of ventilation when open pharyngeal wounds are exposed to pressure, but this study suggests that it can be used as a suitable alternative to invasive ventilation. ..
- Weissler J, Lanni M, Hsu J, Tecce M, Carney M, Kelz R, et al. Development of a Clinically Actionable Incisional Hernia Risk Model after Colectomy Using the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:274-284.e1 pubmed publisher..The data presented can structure preoperative risk counseling, identify modifiable patient-specific risk factors, and advance the field of risk prediction using claims data. ..
- Xia L, Hu G, Guzzo T. Prognostic Significance of Preoperative Anemia in Patients Undergoing Surgery for Renal Cell Carcinoma: A Meta-analysis. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:3175-3181 pubmed..Our findings, however, still need to be validated by well-designed prospective studies with larger sample sizes and well-controlled confounding factors. ..
- Deshpande S, Hasegawa R, Rabinowitz A, Whyte J, Roan C, Tabatabaei A, et al. Association of Playing High School Football With Cognition and Mental Health Later in Life. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:909-918 pubmed publisher..Little is known about the long-term cognitive and mental health consequences of exposure to football-related head trauma at the high school level...
- Stites S, Karlawish J, Harkins K, Rubright J, Wolk D. Awareness of Mild Cognitive Impairment and Mild Alzheimer's Disease Dementia Diagnoses Associated With Lower Self-Ratings of Quality of Life in Older Adults. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2017;72:974-985 pubmed publisher..05). Persons aware of their diagnostic label-either MCI or AD-and its prognosis report lower QOL than those unaware of these facts about themselves. These relationships are independent of the severity of cognitive impairment. ..
- Salehi P, Ge M, Gundimeda U, Michelle Baum L, Lael Cantu H, Lavinsky J, et al. Role of Neuropilin-1/Semaphorin-3A signaling in the functional and morphological integrity of the cochlea. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007048 pubmed publisher..In summary, our results here support a model whereby Neuropilin-1/Semaphorin-3A signaling is critical for the functional and morphological integrity of the cochlea and that Nrp1 may play a role in ARHL. ..
- Hazlett H, Gu H, Munsell B, Kim S, Styner M, Wolff J, et al. Early brain development in infants at high risk for autism spectrum disorder. Nature. 2017;542:348-351 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that early brain changes occur during the period in which autistic behaviours are first emerging. ..
- Lambert M, Gernsheimer T. Clinical updates in adult immune thrombocytopenia. Blood. 2017;129:2829-2835 pubmed publisher..Novel therapeutics are in development to address ongoing treatment gaps. ..
- Atz A, Zak V, Mahony L, Uzark K, D agincourt N, Goldberg D, et al. Longitudinal Outcomes of Patients With Single Ventricle After the Fontan Procedure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2735-2744 pubmed publisher..Future interventions might focus on preserving exercise capacity. (Relationship Between Functional Health Status and Ventricular Performance After Fontan-Pediatric Heart Network; NCT00132782). ..
- Glinatsi D, Baker J, Hetland M, Hørslev Petersen K, Ejbjerg B, Stengaard Pedersen K, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging assessed inflammation in the wrist is associated with patient-reported physical impairment, global assessment of disease activity and pain in early rheumatoid arthritis: longitudinal results from two randomised controlled t. Ann Rheum Dis. 2017;76:1707-1715 pubmed publisher..MRI-assessed inflammation, but not damage, in early RA wrists is associated with patient-reported physical impairment, global assessment of disease activity and pain and influences the physical function in the hand. NCT00660647. ..
- Liu J, Zhao R, Ye Z, Frey A, Schriver E, Snyder N, et al. Relationship of SULT1A1 copy number variation with estrogen metabolism and human health. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;174:169-175 pubmed publisher..This finding, and the potential association with common allergies reported herein, warrants future studies. ..
- Bunya V, Chen M, Zheng Y, Massaro Giordano M, Gee J, Daniel E, et al. Development and Evaluation of Semiautomated Quantification of Lissamine Green Staining of the Bulbar Conjunctiva From Digital Images. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2017;135:1078-1085 pubmed publisher..The disease currently is assessed using relatively coarse subjective scales. Objective assessment would standardize comparisons over time and between clinicians...
- Song I, Orosz I, Chervoneva I, Waldman Z, Fried I, Wu C, et al. Bimodal coupling of ripples and slower oscillations during sleep in patients with focal epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2017;58:1972-1984 pubmed publisher..Phase-event amplitude coupling between ripples and sleep oscillations may be useful to distinguish pathologic and physiologic events in patients with frontal and parietal SOZ. ..
- John A, Tuerff S, Kerstein M. Nonocclusive mesenteric infarction in hemodialysis patients. J Am Coll Surg. 2000;190:84-8 pubmed..NOMI occurs at an increased rate in hemodialysis patients. Identification of patients at high risk for NOMI and dose monitoring of filtration rates may impact on the high mortality of this disease. ..
- Shah D, Romero F, Guo Z, Sun J, Li J, Kallen C, et al. Obesity-Induced Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Causes Lung Endothelial Dysfunction and Promotes Acute Lung Injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2017;57:204-215 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that reducing protein load in the ER of pulmonary endothelial cells might protect against acute respiratory distress syndrome in obese individuals. ..
- Etzkorn J, Sharkey J, Grunyk J, Shin T, Sobanko J, Miller C. Frequency of and risk factors for tumor upstaging after wide local excision of primary cutaneous melanoma. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;77:341-348 pubmed publisher..Clinicopathologic characteristics, particularly anatomic location on the head, neck, hands, feet, genitals, or pretibial leg and subtotal diagnostic biopsies, identify melanomas with an increased risk for upstaging. ..
- Lubitz A, Chan E, Zarif D, Ross H, Philp M, Goldberg A, et al. American College of Surgeons NSQIP Risk Calculator Accuracy for Emergent and Elective Colorectal Operations. J Am Coll Surg. 2017;225:601-611 pubmed publisher..Refinement of the tool to include procedure complexity and diagnosis terms might improve its accuracy in emergent cases. ..
- Mowel W, McCright S, Kotzin J, Collet M, Uyar A, Chen X, et al. Group 1 Innate Lymphoid Cell Lineage Identity Is Determined by a cis-Regulatory Element Marked by a Long Non-coding RNA. Immunity. 2017;47:435-449.e8 pubmed publisher..Thus, non-coding elements responsive to extracellular cues unique to each ILC subset represent a key regulatory layer for controlling the identity and function of ILCs. ..
- Wong H, Cvijanovich N, Anas N, Allen G, Thomas N, Bigham M, et al. Improved Risk Stratification in Pediatric Septic Shock Using Both Protein and mRNA Biomarkers. PERSEVERE-XP. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:494-501 pubmed publisher..PERSEVERE-XP significantly improves on PERSEVERE and suggests a role for TP53-related cellular division, repair, and metabolism in the pathophysiology of septic shock. ..
- Day F, Thompson D, Helgason H, Chasman D, Finucane H, Sulem P, et al. Genomic analyses identify hundreds of variants associated with age at menarche and support a role for puberty timing in cancer risk. Nat Genet. 2017;49:834-841 pubmed publisher..In aggregate, our findings highlight the complexity of the genetic regulation of puberty timing and support causal links with cancer susceptibility. ..
- Psoter K, De Roos A, Wakefield J, Mayer J, Rosenfeld M. Seasonality of acquisition of respiratory bacterial pathogens in young children with cystic fibrosis. BMC Infect Dis. 2017;17:411 pubmed publisher..Investigation of factors underlying these observed associations may contribute to our understanding of the aetiology of these infections and guide future infection control strategies. ..
- Luongo T, Lambert J, Gross P, Nwokedi M, Lombardi A, Shanmughapriya S, et al. The mitochondrial Na+/Ca2+ exchanger is essential for Ca2+ homeostasis and viability. Nature. 2017;545:93-97 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate the essential nature of mCa2+ efflux in cellular function and suggest that augmenting mCa2+ efflux may be a viable therapeutic strategy in disease. ..
- Morgan A, Gatti D, Najarian M, Keane T, Galante R, Pack A, et al. Structural Variation Shapes the Landscape of Recombination in Mouse. Genetics. 2017;206:603-619 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate how multiparent populations, by bridging the gap between large-scale and fine-scale genetic mapping, can reveal new features of the recombination landscape. ..
- Jacobs W, van de Veerdonk M, Trip P, de Man F, Heymans M, Marcus J, et al. The right ventricle explains sex differences in survival in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension. Chest. 2014;145:1230-1236 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that differences in RVEF response with initiation of medical therapy in idiopathic PAH explain a significant portion of the worse survival seen in men. ..
- Koch D, Speiser J, Durkalski V, Fontana R, Davern T, McGuire B, et al. The Natural History of Severe Acute Liver Injury. Am J Gastroenterol. 2017;112:1389-1396 pubmed publisher..A majority of ALI cases are due to APAP, 93% of whom will improve rapidly and fully recover, while non-APAP patients have a far greater risk of poor outcome and should be targeted for early referral to a liver transplant center. ..
- Balis F, Womer R, Berg S, Winick N, Adamson P, Fox E. Dosing anticancer drugs in infants: Current approach and recommendations from the Children's Oncology Group's Chemotherapy Standardization Task Force. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2017;64: pubmed publisher..The new method uses BSA dose banding in dosing tables for infants and children with a BSA <0.6 m2 and gradually transitions from body weight based to BSA-based dosing. ..
- Sinnamon A, Neuwirth M, Yalamanchi P, Gimotty P, Elder D, Xu X, et al. Association Between Patient Age and Lymph Node Positivity in Thin Melanoma. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153:866-873 pubmed publisher..Guidelines for SLNB have focused on pathologic factors, but patient factors, such as age, are not routinely considered...
- Knight A, Kogon A, Matheson M, Warady B, Furth S, Hooper S. Cognitive Function in Children with Lupus Nephritis: A Cross-Sectional Comparison with Children with Other Glomerular Chronic Kidney Diseases. J Pediatr. 2017;189:181-188.e1 pubmed publisher..02 and < .001, respectively). Children with lupus nephritis have comparable or better cognitive function than their peers with other gCKDs, which is reassuring given the multiorgan and lifelong complications associated with lupus. ..
- Liu C, Foffani G, Scaglione A, Aguilar J, Moxon K. Adaptation of Thalamic Neurons Provides Information about the Spatiotemporal Context of Stimulus History. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10012-10021 pubmed publisher..b>SIGNIFICANCE STATEMENT The present work provides a computational framework that demonstrates how adaptation allows neurons to encode spatiotemporal dynamics of stimulus history. ..
- Doty R, Golbe L, McKeown D, Stern M, Lehrach C, Crawford D. Olfactory testing differentiates between progressive supranuclear palsy and idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Neurology. 1993;43:962-5 pubmed..These findings demonstrate that patients with PSP and PD differ markedly in their ability to smell and suggest that olfactory testing may be useful in their differential diagnosis. ..
- Mather M, Rottenberg H. Aging enhances the activation of the permeability transition pore in mitochondria. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;273:603-8 pubmed..g., excitotoxicity, ischemia-reperfusion damage) in the brain, liver, and possibly other tissues. In addition, other pathways to apoptosis or necrosis that depend on PTP activation are also likely to be enhanced by aging. ..
- Lin C, Prokop Prigge K, Preti G, Potter C. Food odors trigger Drosophila males to deposit a pheromone that guides aggregation and female oviposition decisions. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..9-Tricosene thus functions via Or7a to link food-odor perception with aggregation and egg-laying decisions. ..
- McMillan C, Irwin D, Nasrallah I, Phillips J, Spindler M, Rascovsky K, et al. Multimodal evaluation demonstrates in vivo 18F-AV-1451 uptake in autopsy-confirmed corticobasal degeneration. Acta Neuropathol. 2016;132:935-937 pubmed
- Pandey A, Banerjee S, Ngo C, Mody P, Marso S, Brilakis E, et al. Comparative Efficacy of Endovascular Revascularization Versus Supervised Exercise Training in Patients With Intermittent Claudication: Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017;10:712-724 pubmed publisher..By contrast, endovascular therapy-only was not associated with any improvement in functional capacity or clinical outcomes over an intermediate duration of follow-up. ..
- Mennella J, Daniels L, Reiter A. Learning to like vegetables during breastfeeding: a randomized clinical trial of lactating mothers and infants. Am J Clin Nutr. 2017;106:67-76 pubmed publisher..This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT01667549. ..
- Schlaff W. Introduction: The specter of opiate addiction in reproductive medicine. Fertil Steril. 2017;108:193-194 pubmed publisher..It is hoped that this Views and Reviews will stimulate focused research and, ultimately, evidence-based guidelines and pathways that will address this widespread clinical problem. ..
- McMillan M, Ojerholm E, Verma V, Higgins K, Singhal S, Predina J, et al. Radiation Treatment Time and Overall Survival in Locally Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:1142-1152 pubmed publisher..We have detailed the demographic and socioeconomic barriers influencing prolonged RTT as a method to address the health disparities in this regard. Cumulative interruptions of RT should be minimized. ..
- Vaquero Garcia J, Lalonde E, Ewens K, Ebrahimzadeh J, Richard Yutz J, Shields C, et al. PRiMeUM: A Model for Predicting Risk of Metastasis in Uveal Melanoma. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2017;58:4096-4105 pubmed publisher..It will aid physicians with decisions concerning frequency of systemic surveillance and can be used as a criterion for entering clinical trials for adjuvant therapies. ..
- Dubey B, Jackson M, Zeigler Johnson C, Devarajan K, Flores Obando R, McFarlane Anderson N, et al. Inflammation polymorphisms and prostate cancer risk in Jamaican men: Role of obesity/body size. Gene. 2017;636:96-102 pubmed publisher..Associations of inflammatory SNPs with obesity are suggestive and require further validation in larger cohorts to help develop an understanding of PC risk among obese and non-obese men of African descent. ..
- Severino J, Allen R, Balin S, Balin A, Cristofalo V. Is beta-galactosidase staining a marker of senescence in vitro and in vivo?. Exp Cell Res. 2000;257:162-71 pubmed
- Sunwoo B, Miller W. Streptococcus anginosus infections: crossing tissue planes. Chest. 2014;146:e121-e125 pubmed publisher..Few infectious etiologies are known to cross tissue planes. Accordingly, we propose S. anginosus be considered among the differential diagnosis of potential infectious etiologies causing radiographic extension across tissue planes. ..
- Waisbourd Zinman O, Surrey L, Schwartz A, Russo P, Wen J. A Rare BSEP Mutation Associated with a Mild Form of Progressive Familial Intrahepatic Cholestasis Type 2. Ann Hepatol. 2017;16:465-468 pubmed publisher..C68Y and p.R832H. Medical treatment typical for PFIC2 has not been necessary for either patient. This is the first report of these variants following a mild course in two affected patients. ..
- Chen F, Rothman E, Jaffee S. Early Puberty, Friendship Group Characteristics, and Dating Abuse in US Girls. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..Pediatricians and adolescent health specialists should be sensitive to the elevated risk for ADA victimization in early-maturing girls. ..
- Rwigema J, Verma V, Lin L, Berman A, Levin W, Evans T, et al. Prospective study of proton-beam radiation therapy for limited-stage small cell lung cancer. Cancer. 2017;123:4244-4251 pubmed publisher..In the first prospective registry study and largest analysis to date of PBT for LS-SCLC, PBT was found to be safe with a limited incidence of high-grade toxicities. Cancer 2017;123:4244-4251. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Song K, Göke R, Wilmen A, Seidel C, Göke A, Hilliard B, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) is an inhibitor of autoimmune inflammation and cell cycle progression. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1095-104 pubmed..Thus, unlike other members of the tumor necrosis factor superfamily, TRAIL is a prototype inhibitor protein that inhibits autoimmune inflammation by blocking cell cycle progression. ..
- Ersek M, Miller S, Wagner T, Thorpe J, Smith D, Levy C, et al. Association between aggressive care and bereaved families' evaluation of end-of-life care for veterans with non-small cell lung cancer who died in Veterans Affairs facilities. Cancer. 2017;123:3186-3194 pubmed publisher..Specialized care provided within an HPC unit may mitigate the negative effects of aggressive care on these outcomes. Cancer 2017;123:3186-94. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Ben Josef A, Chen J, Wileyto P, Doucette A, BEKELMAN J, Christodouleas J, et al. Effect of Eischens Yoga During Radiation Therapy on Prostate Cancer Patient Symptoms and Quality of Life: A Randomized Phase II Trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:1036-1044 pubmed publisher..A structured yoga intervention of twice-weekly classes during a course of RT was associated with a significant reduction in pre-existing and RT-related fatigue and urinary and sexual dysfunction in PCa patients. ..
- Bruneau E, Kteily N. The enemy as animal: Symmetric dehumanization during asymmetric warfare. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181422 pubmed publisher..This study illuminates the striking potency and symmetry of blatant dehumanization among those on both sides of an active asymmetric conflict. ..
- Lewis G, Malhotra R, Hernandez A, McNulty S, Smith A, Felker G, et al. Effect of Oral Iron Repletion on Exercise Capacity in Patients With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction and Iron Deficiency: The IRONOUT HF Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA. 2017;317:1958-1966 pubmed publisher..However, the efficacy of inexpensive readily available oral iron supplementation in heart failure is unknown...
- Gospocic J, Shields E, Glastad K, Lin Y, Penick C, Yan H, et al. The Neuropeptide Corazonin Controls Social Behavior and Caste Identity in Ants. Cell. 2017;170:748-759.e12 pubmed publisher..We propose that corazonin is a central regulator of caste identity and behavior in social insects. ..
- Kranzler E, Gibson L, Hornik R. Recall of "The Real Cost" Anti-Smoking Campaign Is Specifically Associated With Endorsement of Campaign-Targeted Beliefs. J Health Commun. 2017;22:818-828 pubmed publisher..These analyses also provide a methodological template for showing campaign effects despite limitations of available data...
- Wes A, Mazzaferro D, Naran S, Hopkins E, Bartlett S, Taylor J. Craniosynostosis Surgery: Does Hospital Case Volume Impact Outcomes or Cost?. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:711e-718e pubmed publisher..In patients with craniosynostosis specifically, the relationship between hospital volume and outcomes has yet to be characterized...
- Jacobus S, Rajkumar S, Weiss M, Stewart A, Stadtmauer E, Callander N, et al. Randomized phase III trial of consolidation therapy with bortezomib-lenalidomide-Dexamethasone (VRd) vs bortezomib-dexamethasone (Vd) for patients with multiple myeloma who have completed a dexamethasone based induction regimen. Blood Cancer J. 2016;6:e448 pubmed publisher
- Heinrich M, Rankin C, Blanke C, Demetri G, Borden E, Ryan C, et al. Correlation of Long-term Results of Imatinib in Advanced Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors With Next-Generation Sequencing Results: Analysis of Phase 3 SWOG Intergroup Trial S0033. JAMA Oncol. 2017;3:944-952 pubmed publisher..Initial results of long-term follow-up have found a survival benefit in this subgroup of patients...
- Reimschuessel R, Grabenstein M, Guag J, Nemser S, Song K, Qiu J, et al. Multilaboratory Survey To Evaluate Salmonella Prevalence in Diarrheic and Nondiarrheic Dogs and Cats in the United States between 2012 and 2014. J Clin Microbiol. 2017;55:1350-1368 pubmed publisher..Of note is that almost half of the Salmonella-positive animals were clinically nondiarrheic. ..
- Weitz C, Olszowy K, Dancause K, Sun C, Pomer A, Silverman H, et al. Rolling Tobacco in Banana Leaves, Newspaper, or Copybook Paper Associated With Significant Reduction in Lung Function in Vanuatu. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2017;29:180-188 pubmed publisher..Thus, public health initiatives should consider including strategies addressing the use of wrapping media among smokers in South Pacific island societies. ..
- Ho A, Chang T, Samuel M, Williamson P, Willenbucher R, Malone T. Experience With a Subretinal Cell-based Therapy in Patients With Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age-related Macular Degeneration. Am J Ophthalmol. 2017;179:67-80 pubmed publisher..Larger randomized controlled studies are required to confirm these results. Future studies would require a modified surgical approach. ..
- Preston A, Rao A, Strauss R, Stamm R, Zalman D. Deep Tissue Pressure Injury: A Clinical Review. Am J Nurs. 2017;117:50-57 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the pathophysiology; risk factors; and assessment, prevention, and treatment of DTPIs, using a composite case to illustrate the progression of this serious type of pressure injury. ..
- de Kovel C, Syrbe S, Brilstra E, Verbeek N, Kerr B, Dubbs H, et al. Neurodevelopmental Disorders Caused by De Novo Variants in KCNB1 Genotypes and Phenotypes. JAMA Neurol. 2017;74:1228-1236 pubmed publisher..Patients with presumed pathogenic variants in KCNB1 have a variable phenotype. However, the type and position of the variants in the protein are (imperfectly) correlated with the severity of the disorder. ..
- O Byrne M, Shinohara R, Grant E, Kanter J, Gillespie M, Dori Y, et al. Increasing propensity to pursue operative closure of atrial septal defects following changes in the instructions for use of the Amplatzer Septal Occluder device: An observational study using data from the Pediatric Health Information Systems database. Am Heart J. 2017;192:85-97 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to determine what effect this has on outcomes and resource utilization. ..
- Lis R, Karrasch C, Poulos M, Kunar B, Redmond D, Duran J, et al. Conversion of adult endothelium to immunocompetent haematopoietic stem cells. Nature. 2017;545:439-445 pubmed publisher..Pluripotency-independent conversion of endothelial cells into autologous authentic engraftable haematopoietic stem cells could aid treatment of haematological disorders. ..
- Muffly L, Pasquini M, Martens M, Brazauskas R, Zhu X, Adekola K, et al. Increasing use of allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation in patients aged 70 years and older in the United States. Blood. 2017;130:1156-1164 pubmed publisher..0002) as adverse factors. Over the past decade, utilization and survival after allogeneic transplant have increased in patients ?70 years. Select adults ?70 years with hematologic malignancies should be considered for transplant. ..
- Talbot K, Young R, Jolly Tornetta C, Lee V, Trojanowski J, Wolf B. A frontal variant of Alzheimer's disease exhibits decreased calcium-independent phospholipase A2 activity in the prefrontal cortex. Neurochem Int. 2000;37:17-31 pubmed..That could cause an early elevation of prefrontal free fatty acids, which can stimulate polymerization of tau and thus promote the prefrontal neurofibrillary tangle formation characteristic of frontal AD. ..