Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on infant in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications571 found, 100 shown here
- Davis K, Shah S, Frank G, Eppes S. Why are young infants tested for herpes simplex virus?. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008;24:673-8 pubmed publisher..The yield of testing in this population was low. Clinicians should weigh the benefits of early diagnosis in a few patients against the consequences of excessive testing in this population. ..
- Dori Y, Glatz A, Hanna B, Gillespie M, Harris M, Keller M, et al. Acute effects of embolizing systemic-to-pulmonary arterial collaterals on blood flow in patients with superior cavopulmonary connections: a pilot study. Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2013;6:101-6 pubmed publisher..Further studies are needed to assess the durability of the procedure and the effect on Fontan and longer-term outcomes. ..
- Pernica J, Steenhoff A, Mokomane M, Moorad B, Lechiile K, Smieja M, et al. Rapid enteric testing to permit targeted antimicrobial therapy, with and without Lactobacillus reuteri probiotics, for paediatric acute diarrhoeal disease in Botswana: A pilot, randomized, factorial, controlled trial. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185177 pubmed publisher..Probiotics have shown promise as an adjunct treatment for diarrhoea but have not been studied in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Nakano A, Chao S, Pulkkinen L, Murrell D, Bruckner Tuderman L, Pfendner E, et al. Laminin 5 mutations in junctional epidermolysis bullosa: molecular basis of Herlitz vs. non-Herlitz phenotypes. Hum Genet. 2002;110:41-51 pubmed..Collectively, these findings, together with the global laminin 5 mutation database, contribute to our understanding of the genotype/phenotype correlations explaining the Herlitz vs non-Herlitz phenotypes. ..
- Jacobson S, Aleman T, Cideciyan A, Sumaroka A, Schwartz S, Windsor E, et al. Leber congenital amaurosis caused by Lebercilin (LCA5) mutation: retained photoreceptors adjacent to retinal disorganization. Mol Vis. 2009;15:1098-106 pubmed..Detailed phenotype studies in other LCA5 patients with longitudinal follow-up will help determine the feasibility of future intervention in this rare disease. ..
- Palisano R, Hanna S, Rosenbaum P, Tieman B. Probability of walking, wheeled mobility, and assisted mobility in children and adolescents with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010;52:66-71 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence that age and environmental setting influence method of mobility of children/adolescents with CP. The method that is preferred in one setting may not be preferred in another setting or at another age. ..
- Dougherty M, Santi M, Brose M, Ma C, Resnick A, Sievert A, et al. Activating mutations in BRAF characterize a spectrum of pediatric low-grade gliomas. Neuro Oncol. 2010;12:621-30 pubmed publisher..BRAF mutations constitute a major genetic alteration in this histologic group of pediatric brain tumors and may serve as a molecular target for biologically based inhibitors. ..
- Schwartz M, Rome J, Gillespie M, Whitehead K, Harris M, Fogel M, et al. Relation of left ventricular end diastolic pressure to right ventricular end diastolic volume after operative treatment of tetralogy of fallot. Am J Cardiol. 2012;109:417-22 pubmed publisher..These findings support the theory that RV dilation may impair LV diastolic function and that LV parameters may also be important to consider in determining timing of pulmonary valve replacement. ..
- Allen K, Downing T, Glatz A, Rogers L, Ravishankar C, Rychik J, et al. Effect of Fontan-Associated Morbidities on Survival With Intact Fontan Circulation. Am J Cardiol. 2017;119:1866-1871 pubmed publisher..However, for those patients who remain free from the composite morbidity outcome, 20-year survival with intact Fontan circulation is encouraging. ..
- Hollander J, Singer A, Valentine S, Shofer F. Risk factors for infection in patients with traumatic lacerations. Acad Emerg Med. 2001;8:716-20 pubmed..This knowledge may be valuable for determining whether various methods of wound cleansing, debridement, and repair can improve the outcome of patients with traumatic lacerations. ..
- Newcombe N, Lloyd M, Ratliff K. Development of episodic and autobiographical memory: a cognitive neuroscience perspective. Adv Child Dev Behav. 2007;35:37-85 pubmed
- Shah A, Kelly D, Nabors L, Oakes W, Hilliard L, Reddy A. Treatment of primary CNS lymphoma with high-dose methotrexate in immunocompetent pediatric patients. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010;55:1227-30 pubmed publisher..Both patients have no evidence of disease 9 and 7 years after treatment, suggesting high-dose methotrexate may lead to disease control in pediatric patients with PCNSL while avoiding the effects of radiotherapy...
- Pastor Soler N, Rafi M, Hoffman J, Hu D, Wenger D. Metachromatic leukodystrophy in the Navajo Indian population: a splice site mutation in intron 4 of the arylsulfatase A gene. Hum Mutat. 1994;4:199-207 pubmed..This method could be used for carrier and patient identification in this population...
- Blum N, Taubman B, Nemeth N. Relationship between age at initiation of toilet training and duration of training: a prospective study. Pediatrics. 2003;111:810-4 pubmed
- Fourtner S, Stanley C, Kelly A. Protein-sensitive hypoglycemia without leucine sensitivity in hyperinsulinism caused by K(ATP) channel mutations. J Pediatr. 2006;149:47-52 pubmed..The results indicate that amino acids can stimulate insulin secretion via a glutamate dehydrogenase- and K(ATP) channel-independent pathway. ..
- Nance M, Carr B, Branas C. Access to pediatric trauma care in the United States. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009;163:512-8 pubmed publisher..A thorough standardized catalog of verified PTCs is necessary to accurately assess pediatric trauma needs now and to optimize future trauma system planning for children. ..
- Sankar W, Young C, Lin A, Crow S, Baldwin K, Moseley C. Risk factors for failure after open reduction for DDH: a matched cohort analysis. J Pediatr Orthop. 2011;31:232-9 pubmed publisher..We believe that abnormal femoral version and femoral head dysplasia are also important factors although they were not addressed in this study. Level III (case-controlled study). ..
- Shields C, Manjandavida F, Arepalli S, Kaliki S, Lally S, Shields J. Intravitreal melphalan for persistent or recurrent retinoblastoma vitreous seeds: preliminary results. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014;132:319-25 pubmed publisher..These preliminary short-term results suggest that intravitreal melphalan injection for persistent or recurrent vitreous retinoblastoma seeding can provide tumor control with minimal toxicity and complications. ..
- El Mallawany N, Kamiyango W, Slone J, Villiera J, Kovarik C, Cox C, et al. Clinical Factors Associated with Long-Term Complete Remission versus Poor Response to Chemotherapy in HIV-Infected Children and Adolescents with Kaposi Sarcoma Receiving Bleomycin and Vincristine: A Retrospective Observational Study. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153335 pubmed publisher..Long-term complete remission is achievable in pediatric KS, however outcomes vary according to clinical presentation. Based on clinical heterogeneity, treatment according to risk-stratification is necessary to improve overall outcomes. ..
- Rai D, Lee B, Dalman C, Newschaffer C, Lewis G, Magnusson C. Antidepressants during pregnancy and autism in offspring: population based cohort study. BMJ. 2017;358:j2811 pubmed publisher..Importantly, the absolute risk of autism was small, and, hypothetically, if no pregnant women took antidepressants, the number of cases that could potentially be prevented would be small. ..
- Watson B, Seward J, Yang A, Witte P, Lutz J, Chan C, et al. Postexposure effectiveness of varicella vaccine. Pediatrics. 2000;105:84-8 pubmed
- Litman R, Weissend E, Shibata D, Westesson P. Developmental changes of laryngeal dimensions in unparalyzed, sedated children. Anesthesiology. 2003;98:41-5 pubmed
- Gunton K, Nelson B. Evidence-based medicine in congenital esotropia. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2003;40:70-3; quiz 90-1 pubmed
- Shields C, Sun H, Demirci H, Shields J. Factors predictive of tumor growth, tumor decalcification, choroidal neovascularization, and visual outcome in 74 eyes with choroidal osteoma. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123:1658-66 pubmed..To evaluate choroidal osteoma for tumor growth, tumor decalcification, related choroidal neovascularization, visual acuity loss, and poor visual acuity...
- Ramasubramanian A, Shields C. Bevacizumab for Coats' disease with exudative retinal detachment and risk of vitreoretinal traction. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012;96:356-9 pubmed publisher..To evaluate the effect of supplemental intravitreal bevacizumab for management of Coats' disease...
- Matone M, O Reilly A, Luan X, Localio A, Rubin D. Emergency department visits and hospitalizations for injuries among infants and children following statewide implementation of a home visitation model. Matern Child Health J. 2012;16:1754-61 pubmed publisher..Significant program variation on outcomes underscores the challenges to successful implementation. ..
- Oetting W, Schladt D, Guan W, Miller M, Remmel R, Dorr C, et al. Genomewide Association Study of Tacrolimus Concentrations in African American Kidney Transplant Recipients Identifies Multiple CYP3A5 Alleles. Am J Transplant. 2016;16:574-82 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that additional and possibly rare functional variants exist that account for the additional variation. ..
- Mody R, Naranjo A, Van Ryn C, Yu A, London W, Shulkin B, et al. Irinotecan-temozolomide with temsirolimus or dinutuximab in children with refractory or relapsed neuroblastoma (COG ANBL1221): an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:946-957 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation of biomarkers in a larger cohort of patients might identify those most likely to respond to this chemoimmunotherapeutic regimen. National Cancer Institute. ..
- Panitch H, Keklikian E, Motley R, Wolfson M, Schidlow D. Effect of altering smooth muscle tone on maximal expiratory flows in patients with tracheomalacia. Pediatr Pulmonol. 1990;9:170-6 pubmed..Additionally, relaxation of airway smooth muscle by bronchodilators can have the opposite effect and exacerbate obstruction. ..
- Arens R, McDonough J, Corbin A, Hernandez M, Maislin G, Schwab R, et al. Linear dimensions of the upper airway structure during development: assessment by magnetic resonance imaging. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;165:117-22 pubmed..Our data indicate that soft tissues, including tonsils and adenoid, surrounding the upper airway grow proportionally to the skeletal structures during the same time period. ..
- Kamath B, Bhargava S, Markowitz J, Ruchelli E, Scanlin T, Mascarenhas M. A girl with cystic fibrosis and failure to thrive. J Pediatr. 2003;143:115-9 pubmed
- Wernovsky G, Kuijpers M, Van Rossem M, Marino B, Ravishankar C, Dominguez T, et al. Postoperative course in the cardiac intensive care unit following the first stage of Norwood reconstruction. Cardiol Young. 2007;17:652-65 pubmed
- Sutton R, Niles D, Nysaether J, Arbogast K, Nishisaki A, Maltese M, et al. Pediatric CPR quality monitoring: analysis of thoracic anthropometric data. Resuscitation. 2009;80:1137-41 pubmed publisher..Future studies should examine chest compression depths in clinical settings with correlation to physiologic parameters to determine the best targets for pediatric CPR guidelines. ..
- Kozin S, Boardman M, Chafetz R, Williams G, Hanlon A. Arthroscopic treatment of internal rotation contracture and glenohumeral dysplasia in children with brachial plexus birth palsy. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010;19:102-10 pubmed publisher..The purpose of the study was to assess the ability of arthroscopic anterior release, +/- tendon transfers to maintain shoulder joint alignment in children with brachial plexus palsy, and to assess their outcome after arthroscopic reduction...
- Erlichman J, Hohlweg K, Haber B. Biliary atresia: how medical complications and therapies impact outcome. Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;3:425-34 pubmed publisher..As more children with BA survive into adulthood with their native liver, it is important to understand which factors predict good and poor outcomes. ..
- Kestenbaum L, Ebberson J, Zorc J, Hodinka R, Shah S. Defining cerebrospinal fluid white blood cell count reference values in neonates and young infants. Pediatrics. 2010;125:257-64 pubmed publisher..We determined age-specific CSF WBC reference values in a large cohort of neonates and young infants that can be used to interpret accurately the results of lumbar punctures in this population. ..
- Liu J, Guzman M, Pezanowski D, Patel D, Hauptman J, Keisling M, et al. FOXO1-FGFR1 fusion and amplification in a solid variant of alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma. Mod Pathol. 2011;24:1327-35 pubmed publisher..2, suggesting formation and amplification of a chimerical FOXO1-FGFR1 gene. This is the first report to identify a novel fusion partner FGFR1 for the known anchor gene FOXO1 in alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma. ..
- Temple W, Mendelsohn L, Kim G, Nekritz E, Gustafson W, Lin L, et al. Vesicular monoamine transporter protein expression correlates with clinical features, tumor biology, and MIBG avidity in neuroblastoma: a report from the Children's Oncology Group. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;43:474-481 pubmed publisher..VMAT1 and VMAT2 are expressed in the majority of neuroblastomas. Expression correlates with other biological features. The expression level of VMAT2 but not that of VMAT1 correlates with avidity for MIBG. ..
- Wang L, Nelson L. Outcome study of unilateral lateral rectus recession for small to moderate angle intermittent exotropia in children. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2010;47:242-7 pubmed publisher..Unilateral lateral rectus recession is a safe and effective treatment for small to moderate angle intermittent exotropia in children. ..
- Witmer C, Huang Y, Lynch K, Raffini L, Shah S. Off-label recombinant factor VIIa use and thrombosis in children: a multi-center cohort study. J Pediatr. 2011;158:820-825.e1 pubmed publisher..Thrombotic events are common and mortality is high among patients receiving off-label rFVIIa. Further studies are warranted to determine whether these adverse events are attributable to rFVIIa. ..
- Shah S, Hall M, Newland J, Brogan T, Farris R, Williams D, et al. Comparative effectiveness of pleural drainage procedures for the treatment of complicated pneumonia in childhood. J Hosp Med. 2011;6:256-63 pubmed publisher..Outcomes were similar in patients undergoing initial chest tube placement with or without fibrinolysis. Those undergoing VATS received fewer additional drainage procedures but had no differences in LOS compared with other strategies. ..
- Virudachalam S, Chung P, Faerber J, Pian T, Thomas K, Feudtner C. Quantifying parental preferences for interventions designed to improve home food preparation and home food environments during early childhood. Appetite. 2016;98:115-24 pubmed publisher..Such interventions are important for creating healthier home food environments and preventing obesity starting from early childhood. ..
- Tarlock K, Alonzo T, Gerbing R, Raimondi S, Hirsch B, Sung L, et al. Gemtuzumab Ozogamicin Reduces Relapse Risk in FLT3/ITD Acute Myeloid Leukemia: A Report from the Children's Oncology Group. Clin Cancer Res. 2016;22:1951-7 pubmed publisher..08), and higher TRM (19% vs. 7%;P= 0.08). CD33 targeting with HCT consolidation may be an important therapeutic strategy in high-riskFLT3/ITD AML and its efficacy and associated toxicity warrant further investigation. ..
- Scarfone R, Pond K, Thompson K, Fall I. Utility of laboratory testing for infants with seizures. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2000;16:309-12 pubmed..Laboratory testing is recommended for NFSz infants who 1) are actively seizing in the ED, 2) have a temperature below 36.5 degrees C, or 3) are less than 1 month of age. ..
- Deirmengian G, Hebela N, O CONNELL M, Glaser D, Shore E, Kaplan F. Proximal tibial osteochondromas in patients with fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:366-74 pubmed publisher..The purpose of the present study was to determine the prevalence and characteristics of proximal tibial osteochondromas in individuals who have fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva...
- Gaballah M, Shi J, Kukreja K, Raffini L, Tarango C, Keller M, et al. Endovascular Thrombolysis in the Management of Iliofemoral Thrombosis in Children: A Multi-Institutional Experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2016;27:524-30 pubmed publisher..Variable results were seen with two scales to assess PTS, suggesting an acute need for standardization of outcome measurement in children. ..
- Galli K, Zimmerman R, Jarvik G, Wernovsky G, Kuypers M, Clancy R, et al. Periventricular leukomalacia is common after neonatal cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2004;127:692-704 pubmed..Hypoxemia and hypotension in the early postoperative period, particularly diastolic hypotension, may be important risk factors for periventricular leukomalacia. ..
- Selber J, Reid R, Gershman B, Sonnad S, Sutton L, Whitaker L, et al. Evolution of operative techniques for the treatment of single-suture metopic synostosis. Ann Plast Surg. 2007;59:6-13 pubmed..The authors present a series illustrating the evolution of surgical techniques and its impact on surgical outcomes...
- Palladino A, Bennett M, Stanley C. Hyperinsulinism in infancy and childhood: when an insulin level is not always enough. Clin Chem. 2008;54:256-63 pubmed..The management of hyperinsulinism requires a multidisciplinary approach that includes pediatric endocrinologists, radiologists, surgeons, and pathologists who are trained in diagnosing, identifying, and treating hyperinsulinism. ..
- Swingley D. Contributions of infant word learning to language development. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:3617-32 pubmed publisher..Words guide the infant to his or her first syntactic intuitions, aid in the development of the lexicon, and, it is proposed, may help infants learn phonetic categories. ..
- Sutton R, Niles D, Nysaether J, Stavland M, Thomas M, Ferry S, et al. Effect of residual leaning force on intrathoracic pressure during mechanical ventilation in children. Resuscitation. 2010;81:857-60 pubmed publisher..6-9.2; p=0.2). In healthy anesthetized children, changes in ETP were detectable at residual leaning forces as low as 10% of subject body weight. Residual leaning force of 2.5kg was associated with increases in ETP >or=2.0cmH(2)O. ..
- Sun J, Knowles M, Patel F, Frank D, Heeren T, Chilton M. Childhood Adversity and Adult Reports of Food Insecurity Among Households With Children. Am J Prev Med. 2016;50:561-572 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive policy interventions incorporating nutrition assistance and behavioral health may address intergenerational transmission of disadvantage. ..
- Savla J, Itkin M, Rossano J, Dori Y. Post-Operative Chylothorax in Patients With Congenital Heart Disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2410-2422 pubmed publisher..Interventions in patients with CLFD were not successful to resolve chylothorax and alternate approaches need to be developed. ..
- Cooper C, Passerini Glazel G, Hutcheson J, Iafrate M, Camuffo C, Milani C, et al. Long-term followup of endoscopic incision of ureteroceles: intravesical versus extravesical. J Urol. 2000;164:1097-9; discussion 1099-100 pubmed..To assess the long-term efficacy of this treatment modality we reevaluated the outcome of these patients...
- Caracciolo V, D Agostino L, Dráberová E, Sladkova V, Crozier Fitzgerald C, Agamanolis D, et al. Differential expression and cellular distribution of gamma-tubulin and betaIII-tubulin in medulloblastomas and human medulloblastoma cell lines. J Cell Physiol. 2010;223:519-29 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that overexpression of gamma-tubulin may be linked to phenotypic dedifferentiation (anaplasia) and tumor progression in medulloblastomas and may potentially serve as a promising tumor marker. ..
- Huppmann A, Coffin C, Hoot A, Kahwash S, Pawel B. Congenital peribronchial myofibroblastic tumor: comparison of fetal and postnatal morphology. Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2011;14:124-9 pubmed publisher..This case presents a unique opportunity to examine the progression of a congenital tumor excised by prenatal and postnatal resections. ..
- Buckley E, Hance D, Pawlowski T, Lynch J, Wilson F, Mesquita R, et al. Validation of diffuse correlation spectroscopic measurement of cerebral blood flow using phase-encoded velocity mapping magnetic resonance imaging. J Biomed Opt. 2012;17:037007 pubmed publisher..77, slope=0.99±0.12, p<0.001. The relationship between VENC MRI in the aorta and DCS, a negative control, was weakly correlated, R=0.46, slope=1.77±0.45, p<0.001. ..
- Saul D, Degenhardt K, Iyoob S, Surrey L, Johnson A, Johnson M, et al. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome and the nutmeg lung pattern in utero: a cause and effect relationship or prognostic indicator?. Pediatr Radiol. 2016;46:483-9 pubmed publisher..Dedicated evaluation for nutmeg lung pattern on fetal MR studies may be useful to guide prognostication and aid clinicians in counseling parents of fetuses with HLHS. ..
- Smith F, Del Monaco M, Steijlen P, Munro C, Morvay M, Coleman C, et al. Novel proline substitution mutations in keratin 16 in two cases of pachyonychia congenita type 1. Br J Dermatol. 1999;141:1010-6 pubmed..As the cataract phenotype did not fully cosegregate with the K16 mutation, and given that K16 is not expressed in the lens, these two phenotypes may be coincidental. ..
- Shields C, Shields J, Materin M, Gershenbaum E, Singh A, Smith A. Iris melanoma: risk factors for metastasis in 169 consecutive patients. Ophthalmology. 2001;108:172-8 pubmed..To identify risk factors that predict distant metastases of iris malignant melanoma...
- Jan W, Zimmerman R, Bilaniuk L, Hunter J, Simon E, Haselgrove J. Diffusion-weighted imaging in acute bacterial meningitis in infancy. Neuroradiology. 2003;45:634-9 pubmed..Small cortical or deep white-matter infarcts due to septic vasculitis can lead to tissue damage not easily recognized on routine imaging and DWI can be used to confirm that extra-axial collections represent empyemas. ..
- Shields C, Mashayekhi A, Cater J, Shelil A, Ness S, Meadows A, et al. Macular retinoblastoma managed with chemoreduction: analysis of tumor control with or without adjuvant thermotherapy in 68 tumors. Arch Ophthalmol. 2005;123:765-73 pubmed..To evaluate the effectiveness of chemoreduction alone and chemoreduction with thermotherapy for macular retinoblastoma...
- Wingert W, Mundy L, Collins G, Chmara E. Possible role of pseudoephedrine and other over-the-counter cold medications in the deaths of very young children. J Forensic Sci. 2007;52:487-90 pubmed..The treating physicians and the general public need to be made more aware of the dangers of using OTC cold medications to treat very young children so that these types of tragedies might be avoided. ..
- Mittal M, Shofer F, Baren J. Serious bacterial infections in infants who have experienced an apparent life-threatening event. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;54:523-7 pubmed publisher..The incidence of serious bacterial infection in this cohort was extremely low. Infants presenting with an apparent life-threatening event need not be subjected to a full serious bacterial infection evaluation routinely. ..
- Jacobson S, Cideciyan A, Aleman T, Sumaroka A, Roman A, Swider M, et al. Human retinal disease from AIPL1 gene mutations: foveal cone loss with minimal macular photoreceptors and rod function remaining. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2011;52:70-9 pubmed publisher..The more unusual late-onset and slower form of AIPL1 disease may be better suited to gene augmentation therapy and is worthy of detection and further study. ..
- Feudtner C, Haney J, Dimmers M. Spiritual care needs of hospitalized children and their families: a national survey of pastoral care providers' perceptions. Pediatrics. 2003;111:e67-72 pubmed..With system-level barriers cited as limiting the quality of spiritual care, considerable improvement may be possible. ..
- Johnson V, Stewart W, Graham D, Stewart J, Praestgaard A, Smith D. A neprilysin polymorphism and amyloid-beta plaques after traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26:1197-202 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings provide a potential genetic screening test for individuals at high risk of TBI, such as participants in contact sports and military personnel. ..
- Shah S, Hall M, Srivastava R, Subramony A, Levin J. Intravenous immunoglobulin in children with streptococcal toxic shock syndrome. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;49:1369-76 pubmed publisher..IVIG use was associated with increased costs of caring for children with streptococcal TSS but was not associated with improved outcomes. ..
- Pati S, Feemster K, Mohamad Z, Fiks A, Grundmeier R, Cnaan A. Maternal health literacy and late initiation of immunizations among an inner-city birth cohort. Matern Child Health J. 2011;15:386-94 pubmed publisher..These results further support the importance of intervening from an early age to ensure that infants are fully protected against vaccine preventable diseases. ..
- Shields C, Kancherla S, Patel J, Vijayvargiya P, Suriano M, Kolbus E, et al. Clinical survey of 3680 iris tumors based on patient age at presentation. Ophthalmology. 2012;119:407-14 pubmed publisher..To report the spectrum of iris lesions based on patient age at presentation...
- Schmidt B, Whyte R, Asztalos E, Moddemann D, Poets C, Rabi Y, et al. Effects of targeting higher vs lower arterial oxygen saturations on death or disability in extremely preterm infants: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2013;309:2111-20 pubmed publisher..The goal of oxygen therapy is to deliver sufficient oxygen to the tissues while minimizing oxygen toxicity and oxidative stress. It remains uncertain what values of arterial oxygen saturations achieve this balance in preterm infants...
- Gerber J, Prasad P, Fiks A, Localio A, Grundmeier R, Bell L, et al. Effect of an outpatient antimicrobial stewardship intervention on broad-spectrum antibiotic prescribing by primary care pediatricians: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2013;309:2345-52 pubmed publisher..Future studies should examine the drivers of these effects, as well as the generalizability, sustainability, and clinical outcomes of outpatient antimicrobial stewardship. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT01806103. ..
- Teachey D, Hunger S. Predicting relapse risk in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:606-20 pubmed publisher..This review will describe the clinical, biological, and response-based features known to predict relapse risk in childhood ALL, including those currently used and those likely to be used in the near future to risk-stratify therapy. ..
- Wes A, Paliga J, Goldstein J, Whitaker L, Bartlett S, Taylor J. An evaluation of complications, revisions, and long-term aesthetic outcomes in nonsyndromic metopic craniosynostosis. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014;133:1453-64 pubmed publisher..This study reports low complication and reoperation rates in the treatment of isolated metopic craniosynostosis, but demonstrates a clear trend toward worsening aesthetic outcomes over time. Therapeutic, IV. ..
- Mandell D, Morales K, Xie M, Polsky D, Stahmer A, Marcus S. County-level variation in the prevalence of medicaid-enrolled children with autism spectrum disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. 2010;40:1241-6 pubmed publisher..The results suggest the substitution of education and Medicaid-reimbursed services. Our findings highlight the need for geographically targeted outreach to minority groups and clinicians to improve recognition of ASD. ..
- Kivirikko S, McGrath J, Baudoin C, Aberdam D, Ciatti S, Dunnill M, et al. A homozygous nonsense mutation in the alpha 3 chain gene of laminin 5 (LAMA3) in lethal (Herlitz) junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Hum Mol Genet. 1995;4:959-62 pubmed..These findings provide the first evidence that nonsense mutations within the LAMA3 gene are also involved in the pathogenesis of JEB, and indicate that mutations of all three genes of laminin 5 can result in the JEB phenotype. ..
- Rubin D, Christian C, Bilaniuk L, Zazyczny K, Durbin D. Occult head injury in high-risk abused children. Pediatrics. 2003;111:1382-6 pubmed..Given the high prevalence of occult head injury detected in this study, further study is warranted to estimate the prevalence of occult head injury in lower risk populations of abused children. ..
- Herman M. Torticollis in infants and children: common and unusual causes. Instr Course Lect. 2006;55:647-53 pubmed..Benign and malignant neoplasms of the upper cervical spine are rare causes of torticollis in children. Torticollis resulting from cervical dystonia is also rare in children but may be seen in older adolescents. ..
- Birgfeld C, Glick P, Singh D, Larossa D, Bartlett S. Midface growth in patients with ectrodactyly-ectodermal dysplasia-clefting syndrome. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120:144-50 pubmed..The need for orthognathic surgery seems to be greater than that seen in patients who have clefts of the lip and palate but do not carry the syndrome. ..
- Cohen D, Lorch S, King R, Hodinka R, Cohn K, Shah S. Factors influencing the decision to test young infants for herpes simplex virus infection. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2007;26:1156-8 pubmed..Recognized factors, such as mode of delivery, were not associated with HSV testing. The factors currently used by physicians in the decision to order this test do not best reflect the likelihood of HSV infection. ..
- Marsh E, Golden J. Developing an animal model for infantile spasms: pathogenesis, problems and progress. Dis Model Mech. 2009;2:329-35 pubmed publisher..Finally, we will discuss the limitations of these models and the potential avenues for future research on IS. ..
- Davidson S, Quinn G. The impact of pediatric vision disorders in adulthood. Pediatrics. 2011;127:334-9 pubmed publisher..When visual impairment is present, there may be further effects on overall health, self-perception, educational attainment, job choices, and a number of other social factors...