Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications1360 found, 100 shown here
- Romanowski E, Yates K, Gordon Y. The in vitro and in vivo evaluation of ddC as a topical antiviral for ocular adenovirus infections. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009;50:5295-9 pubmed publisher..Systemic safety studies after topical ocular administration are needed to evaluate ddC as a topical antiviral treatment for adenoviral ocular infections in the target population. ..
- Beniash E. Biominerals--hierarchical nanocomposites: the example of bone. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2011;3:47-69 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on general principles of structural organization, formation, and functional properties of biominerals on the example the bone tissues. ..
- Thomson A, Knolle P. Antigen-presenting cell function in the tolerogenic liver environment. Nat Rev Immunol. 2010;10:753-66 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the central role of liver APCs in the regulation of hepatic immune function and also consider how recent insights may be applied in strategies to target liver tolerance for disease therapy. ..
- Lau B, Mutyala D, Dhaliwal D. A case report of doxycycline-induced Stevens-Johnson syndrome. Cornea. 2011;30:595-7 pubmed publisher..The prevalent use of systemic doxycycline in the practice of ophthalmology for eyelid-related and ocular surface disorders coupled with the detrimental long-term sequelae of SJS renders a careful reevaluation for alternatives. ..
- Studenski S, Perera S, Hile E, Keller V, Spadola Bogard J, Garcia J. Interactive video dance games for healthy older adults. J Nutr Health Aging. 2010;14:850-2 pubmed..While there were no serious adverse events, 4 of 11 noncompleters withdrew due to musculoskeletal complaints. Adapted Interactive video dance is feasible for some healthy older adults and may help achieve physical activity goals. ..
- Zeh H, Zureikat A, Secrest A, Dauoudi M, Bartlett D, Moser A. Outcomes after robot-assisted pancreaticoduodenectomy for periampullary lesions. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012;19:864-70 pubmed publisher..Results of this early series suggest that the robot-assisted approach holds promise. Larger, more mature multi-institutional cohorts will be needed to explore potential benefits over open and laparoscopic techniques. ..
- Rios C, Skoracki R, Mathur A. GNAS1 and PHD2 short-interfering RNA support bone regeneration in vitro and in an in vivo sheep model. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012;470:2541-53 pubmed publisher..8 versus 1.8 mg/mL) and siPHD2-SFCS (61.3 versus 1.5 mg/mL). Both siPHD2 and siGNAS1 support bone regeneration in vivo, whereas only siGNAS1 regulates bone phenotype in MSCs in vitro. ..
- Morris A, Hillenbrand M, Finkelman M, George M, Singh V, Kessinger C, et al. Serum (1?3)-?-D-glucan levels in HIV-infected individuals are associated with immunosuppression, inflammation, and cardiopulmonary function. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;61:462-8 pubmed publisher..These results implicate a new class of pathogen in HIV-associated microbial translocation and suggest a role in HIV progression and comorbidities. ..
- Dettmer M, Vogetseder A, Durso M, Moch H, Komminoth P, Perren A, et al. MicroRNA expression array identifies novel diagnostic markers for conventional and oncocytic follicular thyroid carcinomas. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:E1-7 pubmed publisher..A small set of deregulated miRNAs allows for an accurate discrimination between follicular carcinomas and hyperplastic nodules and can be used diagnostically in fine-needle aspiration biopsies. ..
- Wilson A, Swerdlow S, Przybylski G, Surti U, Choi J, Campo E, et al. Intestinal ?? T-cell lymphomas are most frequently of type II enteropathy-associated T-cell type. Hum Pathol. 2013;44:1131-45 pubmed publisher..These findings support the conclusion that a ?? T-cell origin at extracutaneous sites does not define a specific entity. ..
- Stephenson R, Lim C, Matthews M, Dietsch G, Hershberg R, Ferris R. TLR8 stimulation enhances cetuximab-mediated natural killer cell lysis of head and neck cancer cells and dendritic cell cross-priming of EGFR-specific CD8+ T cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2013;62:1347-57 pubmed publisher..Further investigation in human trials will be important for determining the clinical benefit of this combination and for determining biomarkers of response. ..
- Stocker R, Paul B, Mammen O, Khan H, Cieply M, Germain A. Effects of Blast Exposure on Subjective and Objective Sleep Measures in Combat Veterans with and without PTSD. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016;12:49-56 pubmed publisher..Reduced REM sleep fragmentation may be a sensitive index of the synergetic effects of both psychological and physical insults. ..
- Zohar J, Stahl S, Moller H, Blier P, Kupfer D, Yamawaki S, et al. A review of the current nomenclature for psychotropic agents and an introduction to the Neuroscience-based Nomenclature. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2015;25:2318-25 pubmed publisher..This pharmacologically driven nomenclature, which highlights pharmacological domains and modes of action, may also increase drug adherence as it clarifies the rationale for selecting a specific psychotropic agent. ..
- Dearth C, Slivka P, Stewart S, Keane T, Tay J, Londono R, et al. Inhibition of COX1/2 alters the host response and reduces ECM scaffold mediated constructive tissue remodeling in a rodent model of skeletal muscle injury. Acta Biomater. 2016;31:50-60 pubmed publisher..Thus, the decision to prescribe NSAIDs to manage the symptoms of inflammation post-ECM scaffold implantation should be carefully considered. ..
- Hanna M, Monaco S, Cuda J, Xing J, Ahmed I, Pantanowitz L. Comparison of glass slides and various digital-slide modalities for cytopathology screening and interpretation. Cancer Cytopathol. 2017;125:701-709 pubmed publisher..Unlike whole-slide imaging, the acquisition of representative z-stack images with the Panoptiq system requires a trained cytologist to create digital files. Cancer Cytopathol 2017;125:701-9. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Hanna M, Pantanowitz L. The role of informatics in patient-centered care and personalized medicine. Cancer Cytopathol. 2017;125:494-501 pubmed publisher..Cancer Cytopathol 2017;125(6 suppl):494-501. © 2017 American Cancer Society. ..
- Gross B, Ducruet A, Jankowitz B, Gardner P. An Intraoperative Look at a Residual/Recurrent Tentorial Dural Arteriovenous Fistula. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:1043.e7-1043.e9 pubmed publisher..Although endovascular treatment of dAVFs is generally first-line therapy, surgical disconnection of fistulas, particularly high-risk residual/recurrent fistulas, is an excellent option in well-selected cases. ..
- Koldamova R, Lefterov I, Gadjeva V, Lazo J. Essential binding and functional domains of human bleomycin hydrolase. Biochemistry. 1998;37:2282-90 pubmed..Thus, the C-terminus of hBH has two independent roles controlling both the catalytic activity and oligomerization of hBH. ..
- Hoberman A, Wald E, Hickey R, Baskin M, Charron M, Majd M, et al. Oral versus initial intravenous therapy for urinary tract infections in young febrile children. Pediatrics. 1999;104:79-86 pubmed..Oral cefixime can be recommended as a safe and effective treatment for children with fever and urinary tract infection. Use of cefixime will result in substantial reductions of health care expenditures. ..
- Ni Z, Lou W, Lee S, Dhir R, DeMiguel F, Grandis J, et al. Selective activation of members of the signal transducers and activators of transcription family in prostate carcinoma. J Urol. 2002;167:1859-62 pubmed..We have previously shown that Stat3 is activated in prostate cancer. The results of the current study demonstrate that in addition to Stat3, Stat6 is selectively activated in prostate cancer. ..
- Kandemir U, Bharam S, Philippon M, Fu F. Endoscopic treatment of calcific tendinitis of gluteus medius and minimus. Arthroscopy. 2003;19:E4 pubmed..This is the first reported case treated using an endoscopic approach, which is effective and minimally invasive. ..
- Paranjpe D, Foulks G. Therapy for meibomian gland disease. Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2003;16:37-42 pubmed..These advances have led to an exploration of exciting new avenues for treatment of this common but frustrating disease entity...
- Conley Y, Steele A, Puskar K. Genetic susceptibility to psychiatric disorders. Medsurg Nurs. 2004;13:319-25 pubmed
- Lunz J, Tsuji H, Nozaki I, Murase N, Demetris A. An inhibitor of cyclin-dependent kinase, stress-induced p21Waf-1/Cip-1, mediates hepatocyte mito-inhibition during the evolution of cirrhosis. Hepatology. 2005;41:1262-71 pubmed..Supplementary material for this article can be found on the HEPATOLOGY website (http://interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0270-9139/suppmat/index.html). ..
- Bonfioli A, de Miranda S, Campos W, Orefice F. Tuberculosis. Semin Ophthalmol. 2005;20:169-75 pubmed..Alternative regimens are necessary in the presence of drug resistance...
- Chandran U, Ma C, Dhir R, Bisceglia M, Lyons Weiler M, Liang W, et al. Gene expression profiles of prostate cancer reveal involvement of multiple molecular pathways in the metastatic process. BMC Cancer. 2007;7:64 pubmed..We hypothesize that these genes have a role in the biology of metastatic disease and that they represent potential therapeutic targets for prostate cancer. ..
- Venneti S, Wang G, Wiley C. The high affinity peripheral benzodiazepine receptor ligand DAA1106 binds to activated and infected brain macrophages in areas of synaptic degeneration: implications for PET imaging of neuroinflammation in lentiviral encephalitis. Neurobiol Dis. 2008;29:232-41 pubmed
- Gusani N, Marsh J, Nalesnik M, Tublin M, Gamblin T. Carcinoid of the extra-hepatic bile duct: a case report with long-term follow-up and review of literature. Am Surg. 2008;74:87-90 pubmed..Complete excision with clear margins seems to provide the best chance of obtaining long-term survival and cure...
- Wang H, Abella B, Callaway C. Risk of cardiopulmonary arrest after acute respiratory compromise in hospitalized patients. Resuscitation. 2008;79:234-40 pubmed publisher..Most CPA occur within 10 min of ARC recognition. Improved ARC recognition, hospital emergency team response and airway management may potentially enhance care and outcomes for these critically ill patients. ..
- Boucek C, Phrampus P, Lutz J, Dongilli T, Bircher N. Willingness to perform mouth-to-mouth ventilation by health care providers: a survey. Resuscitation. 2009;80:849-53 pubmed publisher..Bag-valve-mask devices for mechanical ventilation should be available in all locations where health care workers may be called upon to resuscitate apneic patients making the decision to perform MTM moot. ..
- Kathju S, Nistico L, Hall Stoodley L, Post J, Ehrlich G, Stoodley P. Chronic surgical site infection due to suture-associated polymicrobial biofilm. Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2009;10:457-61 pubmed publisher..Removal of the foreign bodies (sutures) resolved the chronic infection. Chronic SSI can arise from underlying bacterial biofilms, which can invest implanted foreign bodies and associated soft tissue surfaces. ..
- Choi J, Hoffman L, Sethi J, Zullo T, Gibson K. Multiple flow rates measurement of exhaled nitric oxide in patients with sarcoidosis: a pilot feasibility study. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2009;26:98-109 pubmed..Due to a large inter-subject variability and difficulty controlling use of the inhaled corticosteroids, exhaled NO measurement did not appear to be a clinically useful method of monitoring disease progression in sarcoidosis. ..
- Mburu Y, Abe K, Ferris L, Sarkar S, Ferris R. Human β-defensin 3 promotes NF-κB-mediated CCR7 expression and anti-apoptotic signals in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Carcinogenesis. 2011;32:168-74 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that hBD3 represents a novel NF-κB-regulated mediator of CCR7 expression and anti-apoptotic pathways, which may be exploited by developing SCCHN tumors to enhance their survival and metastasis. ..
- Ahmed M, Gaffen S. IL-17 in obesity and adipogenesis. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2010;21:449-53 pubmed publisher..Here, we consolidate the potential implications of IL-17 in relation to obesity and describe the emerging data regarding the role of IL-17 in adipose tissue. ..
- Tomycz N, Whiting D, Oh M. Deep brain stimulation for obesity--from theoretical foundations to designing the first human pilot study. Neurosurg Rev. 2012;35:37-42; discussion 42-3 pubmed publisher..We review the rationale and scientific foundations for obesity DBS and explain how this preclinical evidence has helped sculpt the design of the first human pilot study. ..
- Lee B, Bartsch S, Willig A. The economic value of a quadrivalent versus trivalent influenza vaccine. Vaccine. 2012;30:7443-6 pubmed publisher..1 billion) and third party payers (median of $292 million), even when the cost of QIV is significantly higher. ..
- Watchko J, Kaplan M, Stark A, Stevenson D, Bhutani V. Should we screen newborns for glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency in the United States?. J Perinatol. 2013;33:499-504 pubmed publisher..Our review of current state of G6PD deficiency screening highlights research gaps and informs specific operational challenges to implement universal newborn G6PD testing concurrent to bilirubin screening in the United States. ..
- Darville T. Recognition and treatment of chlamydial infections from birth to adolescence. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;764:109-22 pubmed..Until an efficacious vaccine is developed, screening and treatment programs appear to be the best method of disease prevention. ..
- Elmer J, Torres C, Aufderheide T, Austin M, Callaway C, Golan E, et al. Association of early withdrawal of life-sustaining therapy for perceived neurological prognosis with mortality after cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2016;102:127-35 pubmed publisher..After OHCA, death following WLST-N<72 may be common and is potentially avoidable. Reducing WLST-N<72 has national public health implications and may afford an opportunity to decrease mortality after OHCA. ..
- Hurwitz D, Ayeni O. Body Contouring Surgery in the Massive Weight Loss Patient. Surg Clin North Am. 2016;96:875-85 pubmed publisher..Beyond the removal of excess skin and adipose tissue, advanced gender-specific techniques have improved aesthetics. ..
- Bousman C, Forbes M, Jayaram M, Eyre H, Reynolds C, Berk M, et al. Antidepressant prescribing in the precision medicine era: a prescriber's primer on pharmacogenetic tools. BMC Psychiatry. 2017;17:60 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present a series of considerations for clinicians contemplating use of these tools and discuss the future of antidepressant pharmacogenetic decision support tools. ..
- Forno E, Wang T, Yan Q, Brehm J, Acosta Pérez E, Colon Semidey A, et al. A Multiomics Approach to Identify Genes Associated with Childhood Asthma Risk and Morbidity. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2017;57:439-447 pubmed publisher..This approach integrates several analytical steps and is able to identify biologically relevant asthma-related genes, such as IL5RA. It differs from other methods that rely on complex statistical models with various assumptions. ..
- Oakley R, Lefcort F, Clary D, Reichardt L, Prevette D, Oppenheim R, et al. Neurotrophin-3 promotes the differentiation of muscle spindle afferents in the absence of peripheral targets. J Neurosci. 1997;17:4262-74 pubmed..Together, our results indicate that NT3 signaling is both necessary and sufficient for the development of the proprioceptive phenotype, even in the absence of other signals from limb muscle. ..
- Selzer F, Sutton Tyrrell K, Fitzgerald S, Tracy R, Kuller L, Manzi S. Vascular stiffness in women with systemic lupus erythematosus. Hypertension. 2001;37:1075-82 pubmed..This was seen most clearly among premenopausal women. This finding may partially explain the higher rates of cardiovascular disease and hypertension observed in young women with SLE. ..
- Lu G, Janjic B, Janjic J, Whiteside T, Storkus W, Vujanovic N. Innate direct anticancer effector function of human immature dendritic cells. II. Role of TNF, lymphotoxin-alpha(1)beta(2), Fas ligand, and TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand. J Immunol. 2002;168:1831-9 pubmed..Overall, our data demonstrate that DCs are fully equipped for an efficient direct apoptotic killing of cancer cells and suggest that this mechanism may play a critical role in both afferent and efferent anti-tumor immunity. ..
- Buschman K, Seraly M, Thong H, Deng J, Draviam R, Abernethy J. A predominant IgG4 subclass may be responsible for false-negative direct immunofluorescence in bullous pemphigoid. J Cutan Pathol. 2002;29:282-6 pubmed..The use of sandwich double antibody immunofluorescence methods to test for IgG and/or IgG subclasses may be helpful in definitively diagnosing BP in patients with negative IgG and positive C3 staining on DIF. ..
- Ren X, Hayashi Y, Yoshimura N, Takimoto K. Transmembrane interaction mediates complex formation between peptidase homologues and Kv4 channels. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2005;29:320-32 pubmed..Thus, interaction between transmembranes of DPP10/DPPX and Kv4 channel mediates functional complex formation. We call this protein DPPY, instead of DPP10, because of its revealed role as a Kv4 channel regulator. ..
- Jadlowiec J, Dongell D, Smith J, Conover C, Campbell P. Pregnancy-associated plasma protein-a is involved in matrix mineralization of human adult mesenchymal stem cells and angiogenesis in the chick chorioallontoic membrane. Endocrinology. 2005;146:3765-72 pubmed..Furthermore, PAPP-A is involved in the formation of new blood vessels, which is essential for proper bone regeneration. ..
- Orenstein S, Shalaby T, Kelsey S, Frankel E. Natural history of infant reflux esophagitis: symptoms and morphometric histology during one year without pharmacotherapy. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:628-40 pubmed..Although symptoms improved in more than half of the infants with reflux esophagitis followed longitudinally for 1 yr without pharmacotherapy, histology remained abnormal. ..
- Zanotti K, Lackey P, Evans G, Mihailescu M. Thermodynamics of the fragile X mental retardation protein RGG box interactions with G quartet forming RNA. Biochemistry. 2006;45:8319-30 pubmed..Our results also indicate that the G quartet RNA recognition is not a general feature of the RGG box motif but rather carries some sequence, protein and/or RNA, specificity. ..
- Zivkovic S. Rituximab in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy associated with monoclonal gammopathy. Expert Rev Neurother. 2006;6:1267-74 pubmed..Large controlled studies are still pending but rituximab is an exciting and promising treatment offering another option in the treatment of peripheral neuropathy associated with IgM monoclonal gammopathy. ..
- Awandare G, Ouma Y, Ouma C, Were T, Otieno R, Keller C, et al. Role of monocyte-acquired hemozoin in suppression of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in children with severe malarial anemia. Infect Immun. 2007;75:201-10 pubmed..Results presented here demonstrate that acquisition of hemozoin by monocytes is associated with suppression of peripheral blood MIF production and enhanced severity of anemia in childhood malaria. ..
- Cryder C, Lerner J, Gross J, Dahl R. Misery is not miserly: sad and self-focused individuals spend more. Psychol Sci. 2008;19:525-30 pubmed publisher..For example, economic theories of spending may benefit from incorporating psychological theories -- specifically, theories of emotion and the self -- into their models. ..
- Parra L, Baust T, El Mestikawy S, Quiroz M, Hoffman B, Haflett J, et al. The orphan transporter Rxt1/NTT4 (SLC6A17) functions as a synaptic vesicle amino acid transporter selective for proline, glycine, leucine, and alanine. Mol Pharmacol. 2008;74:1521-32 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the orphan Rxt1/NTT4 protein functions as a vesicular transporter for proline, glycine, leucine, and alanine, further suggesting its important role in synaptic transmission. ..
- Dagda R, Cherra S, Kulich S, Tandon A, Park D, Chu C. Loss of PINK1 function promotes mitophagy through effects on oxidative stress and mitochondrial fission. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:13843-55 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, PINK1 and Parkin may cooperate through different mechanisms to maintain mitochondrial homeostasis. ..
- Land S, Kopec J, Julian T, Brown A, Anderson S, Krag D, et al. Patient-reported outcomes in sentinel node-negative adjuvant breast cancer patients receiving sentinel-node biopsy or axillary dissection: National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project phase III protocol B-32. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:3929-36 pubmed publisher..We report the definitive patient-reported outcomes (PRO) comparisons...
- Chen S, Gielo Perczak K. Effect of impeded medial longitudinal arch drop on vertical ground reaction force and center of pressure during static loading. Foot Ankle Int. 2011;32:77-84 pubmed publisher..The use of arch supports may not relieve painful foot conditions that are associated with excessive calcaneal eversion indicated by altering COP shifts in localized foot regions. ..
- Wukich D, Tuason D. Diagnosis and treatment of chronic ankle pain. Instr Course Lect. 2011;60:335-50 pubmed..Many patients with chronic ankle pain do not recall any history of trauma. Reviewing the management of the various disorders that can cause chronic ankle pain will help orthopaedic surgeons provide the best treatment for their patients. ..
- Gregg S, Robinson A, Niedernhofer L. Physiological consequences of defects in ERCC1-XPF DNA repair endonuclease. DNA Repair (Amst). 2011;10:781-91 pubmed publisher..This offers an understanding of the tremendous health impact of DNA damage derived from environmental and endogenous sources. ..
- Kook S, Jang Y, Lee J. Involvement of JNK-AP-1 and ERK-NF-?B signaling in tension-stimulated expression of type I collagen and MMP-1 in human periodontal ligament fibroblasts. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2011;111:1575-83 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results highlight the mechanotransduction pathways involved in matrix gene expression in PLF, where the tension-stimulated expression of COL I and MMP-1 is controlled by the ERK/JNK-AP-1 and ERK-NF-?B signaling pathways. ..
- Rollins Raval M, Pillai R, Warita K, Mitsuhashi Warita T, Mehta R, Boyiadzis M, et al. CD123 immunohistochemical expression in acute myeloid leukemia is associated with underlying FLT3-ITD and NPM1 mutations. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2013;21:212-7 pubmed publisher..0052) with negative predictive values of 95% for FLT3-ITD and 88% for NPM1. CD123 IHC+AML presents with characteristic pathologic features, some of which may be related to underlying FLT3-ITD and/or NPM1 mutations. ..
- Mizukami K, Akatsu H, Abrahamson E, Mi Z, Ikonomovic M. Immunohistochemical analysis of hippocampal butyrylcholinesterase: Implications for regional vulnerability in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropathology. 2016;36:135-45 pubmed publisher..Since CA2/3 is generally considered more resistant to AD pathology, BChE upregulation could impact the cholinergic modulation of glutamate neurotransmission to prevent/reduce neuronal excitotoxicity in AD hippocampus. ..
- DeLorenzo C, Sovago J, Gardus J, Xu J, Yang J, Behrje R, et al. Characterization of brain mGluR5 binding in a pilot study of late-life major depressive disorder using positron emission tomography and [¹¹C]ABP688. Transl Psychiatry. 2015;5:e693 pubmed publisher..Although future work is required, results suggest potential differences in the pathophysiology of elderly depression versus depression earlier in life. ..
- Coulter R, Birkett M, Corliss H, Hatzenbuehler M, Mustanski B, Stall R. Associations between LGBTQ-affirmative school climate and adolescent drinking behaviors. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016;161:340-7 pubmed publisher..57; 95% CI: 0.35, 0.93; p=0.024). Fostering LGBTQ-affirmative school climates may reduce certain drinking behaviors for gay/lesbian adolescents, heterosexual adolescents, and adolescents unsure of their sexual orientation. ..
- Farrokhi S, Voycheck C, Gustafson J, Fitzgerald G, Tashman S. Knee joint contact mechanics during downhill gait and its relationship with varus/valgus motion and muscle strength in patients with knee osteoarthritis. Knee. 2016;23:49-56 pubmed publisher..04) but not with quadriceps or hip abductor strength. Altered contact mechanics in patients with knee OA may be related to compromised frontal-plane joint stability but not with deficits in muscle strength. ..
- Taverno Ross S, Dowda M, Dishman R, Pate R. Classes of Physical Activity and Sedentary Behavior in 5th Grade Children. Am J Health Behav. 2016;40:352-61 pubmed publisher..Self-efficacy (boys) and home environment (girls) may play a role in shaping patterns of PA in children. Findings may help to inform future interventions to encourage children to meet national PA guidelines. ..
- Shah N, Bernardini J, Piraino B. Prevalence and correction of 25(OH) vitamin D deficiency in peritoneal dialysis patients. Perit Dial Int. 2005;25:362-6 pubmed..A prospective, placebo-controlled double-blinded study is needed to determine whether replacement of 25(PH) vitamin D is beneficial in PD patients. ..
- Celil A, Campbell P. BMP-2 and insulin-like growth factor-I mediate Osterix (Osx) expression in human mesenchymal stem cells via the MAPK and protein kinase D signaling pathways. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:31353-9 pubmed..In addition to Runx2, other signaling components may be necessary to regulate Osx during osteoblast lineage progression. ..
- Zhao Y, DiFrancesca D, Wang X, Zarnegar R, Michalopoulos G, Yin X. Promotion of Fas-mediated apoptosis in Type II cells by high doses of hepatocyte growth factor bypasses the mitochondrial requirement. J Cell Physiol. 2007;213:556-63 pubmed..These findings indicate that high doses of HGF could be used to promote apoptosis in Type II cells bypassing the requirement for mitochondria activation. ..
- Zhang J, Wenzel S. Tissue and BAL based biomarkers in asthma. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2007;27:623-32; vi pubmed..Efforts are to compare tissue and lavage biomarkers with less invasive measures, such as sputum, serum, or exhaled breath, to improve the treatment and management of asthma. ..
- Gallek M, Conley Y, Sherwood P, Horowitz M, Kassam A, Alexander S. APOE genotype and functional outcome following aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. Biol Res Nurs. 2009;10:205-12 pubmed publisher..There was no difference in mortality associated with APOE4 presence, APOE2 presence, or presence of CV. These findings suggest APOE4 allele is associated with poor outcome after aneurysmal SAH. ..
- Gilbert S, Wilson D, Christie N, Pennathur A, Luketich J, Landreneau R, et al. Endobronchial ultrasound as a diagnostic tool in patients with mediastinal lymphadenopathy. Ann Thorac Surg. 2009;88:896-900; discussion 901-2 pubmed publisher..5). Diagnostic performance data support the clinical usefulness of EBUS in the evaluation of patients with a radiographically abnormal mediastinum. It should be considered complementary to mediastinoscopy rather than substitutive. ..
- Sutkin G, Alperin M, Meyn L, Wiesenfeld H, Ellison R, Zyczynski H. Symptomatic urinary tract infections after surgery for prolapse and/or incontinence. Int Urogynecol J. 2010;21:955-61 pubmed publisher..2, 95% CI 1.5-11.6); 94.6% of catheterizing women were prescribed daily nitrofurantoin. UTI is an important postoperative morbidity after urogynecologic surgery and is common in catheterizing women despite antibiotic prophylaxis. ..
- Gangopahyay A, Oran M, Bauer E, Wertz J, Comhair S, Erzurum S, et al. Bone morphogenetic protein receptor II is a novel mediator of endothelial nitric-oxide synthase activation. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:33134-40 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate a new action of BMPs/BMPRII in the pulmonary endothelium and provide novel mechanistic insight into the pathogenesis of PAH...
- Chandra D, Stamm J, Palevsky P, Leader J, Fuhrman C, Zhang Y, et al. The relationship between pulmonary emphysema and kidney function in smokers. Chest. 2012;142:655-662 pubmed publisher..The mechanisms and clinical implications of kidney dysfunction in patients with emphysema need further investigation. ..
- Bartsch S, Lopman B, Hall A, Parashar U, Lee B. The potential economic value of a human norovirus vaccine for the United States. Vaccine. 2012;30:7097-104 pubmed publisher..0 billion, but could save ?$2.1 billion (48 month duration). Human norovirus vaccination can offer economic value while averting clinical outcomes, depending on price, efficacy, and protection duration...
- Brant K, Leikauf G. Dysregulation of FURIN by prostaglandin-endoperoxide synthase 2 in lung epithelial NCI-H292 cells. Mol Carcinog. 2014;53:192-200 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight a novel role for PTGS2 in NSCLC and may provide a mechanism, whereby PTGS2 inhibitors suppress lung cancer cell growth. ..
- Zuley M, Bandos A, Ganott M, Sumkin J, Kelly A, Catullo V, et al. Digital breast tomosynthesis versus supplemental diagnostic mammographic views for evaluation of noncalcified breast lesions. Radiology. 2013;266:89-95 pubmed publisher..017) without a decrease in specificity. Tomosynthesis significantly improved diagnostic accuracy for noncalcified lesions compared with supplemental mammographic views. ..
- Kim S, Rhee J, Song X, Prochownik E, Spitz D, Lee Y. Breast cancer stem cell-like cells are more sensitive to ionizing radiation than non-stem cells: role of ATM. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e50423 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that low DNA repair capacity is responsible for the high radiosensitivity of these CSC-like cells. ..
- Koutourousiou M, Gardner P, Fernandez Miranda J, Paluzzi A, Wang E, Snyderman C. Endoscopic endonasal surgery for giant pituitary adenomas: advantages and limitations. J Neurosurg. 2013;118:621-31 pubmed publisher..Endoscopic endonasal surgery (EES) has recently been introduced as a treatment option for these tumors. The authors present the results of EES for giant adenomas and analyze the advantages and limitations of this technique...
- Green M, Michaels M. Epstein-Barr virus infection and posttransplant lymphoproliferative disorder. Am J Transplant. 2013;13 Suppl 3:41-54; quiz 54 pubmed publisher..The future development of standards for management based on EBV viral load and routine monitoring of EBV-specific CTL responses promise further improvement in outcomes with EBV and PTLD. ..
- Facco F, Ouyang D, Zee P, Strohl A, Gonzalez A, Lim C, et al. Implications of sleep-disordered breathing in pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014;210:559.e1-6 pubmed publisher..In contrast, no relationships between SDB during pregnancy and preeclampsia, preterm birth, and extremes of birthweight were demonstrated. ..
- Walker W, Easton E, Moreci R, Toocheck C, Anamthathmakula P, Jeyasuria P. Restoration of spermatogenesis and male fertility using an androgen receptor transgene. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120783 pubmed publisher..Transgenic mice expressing selective modifications of the AR-EGFP transgene may provide crucial information needed to elicit the molecular mechanisms by which AR acts in the testis and other androgen responsive tissues. ..
- Rogers M, Song T, Sebra R, Greenbaum B, Hamelin M, Fitch A, et al. Intrahost dynamics of antiviral resistance in influenza A virus reflect complex patterns of segment linkage, reassortment, and natural selection. MBio. 2015;6: pubmed publisher..In sum, these data show how immunocompromised hosts may help reveal the drivers of strain emergence. ..