Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on humans in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications1332 found, 100 shown here
- Ang G, Hyde P, Lee J. Unilateral congenital linear atrophoderma of the leg. Pediatr Dermatol. 2005;22:350-4 pubmed..However, because of the significant clinical and histopathologic differences when compared to the aforementioned entities, our patient appears to have a unique presentation of congenital linear atrophoderma. ..
- Hallquist D. Developments in the RN first assistant role during the Korean War. AORN J. 2005;82:644-7 pubmed..This article examines how the work of army nurses during the Korean War helped develop the role of the RN first assistant. ..
- Ostrow A, Freeze H, Rychik J. Protein-losing enteropathy after fontan operation: investigations into possible pathophysiologic mechanisms. Ann Thorac Surg. 2006;82:695-700 pubmed..Targeted investigations of these parameters may provide clues as to the mechanism of onset of PLE after Fontan operation. ..
- Gelber S, Sciscione A. Mechanical methods of cervical ripening and labor induction. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2006;49:642-57 pubmed..The advantages of preinduction cervical ripening with mechanical devices include low cost, low incidence of systemic side effects, and low risk of uterine hyperstimulation. ..
- Baumeister M, Rossman K, Sondek J, Lemmon M. The Dbs PH domain contributes independently to membrane targeting and regulation of guanine nucleotide-exchange activity. Biochem J. 2006;400:563-72 pubmed..Thus, we suggest that the PH domain plays dual roles, contributing independently to membrane localization of Dbs (as part of a multi-domain interaction) and allosteric regulation of the DH domain. ..
- Marks M. Darkness descends with two Rabs. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:199-200 pubmed..Wasmeier et al. (this issue, p. 271) reveal a redundant role for two tissue-specific Rab proteins in regulating transport to a tissue-specific lysosome-related organelle, the melanosome...
- Polsky D, Sochalski J, Aiken L, Cooper R. Medical migration to the U.S.: trends and impact. LDI Issue Brief. 2007;12:1-4 pubmed..S. shortage. This Issue Brief analyzes trends in medical migration, and explores its short- and long-term effects on the health care workforce in the U.S. and in developing countries. ..
- Hayes E, Moroz L, Pizzi L, Baxter J. A cost decision analysis of 4 tocolytic drugs. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007;197:383.e1-6 pubmed..90) and terbutaline ($399.02) because of the cost of monitoring and treating adverse events. If one elects a tocolytic, both nifedipine and indomethacin should be the agents of choice, based on a cost decision analysis. ..
- Xiong Z, Song J, Yan Y, Huang Y, Cowan A, Wang H, et al. Higher expression of Bax in regulatory T cells increases vascular inflammation. Front Biosci. 2008;13:7143-55 pubmed..These results have demonstrated the proof of principle that the modulation of Tregs apoptosis/survival could be used as a new therapeutic approach for inflammatory cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Mora J, Hadjiliadis D. Lung volume reduction surgery and lung transplantation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2008;3:629-35 pubmed..Lung volume reduction surgery and lung transplantation are appropriate therapeutic options for a selected population with emphysema. We will review the available evidence to support these approaches. ..
- Bohensky J, Terkhorn S, Freeman T, Adams C, Garcia J, Shapiro I, et al. Regulation of autophagy in human and murine cartilage: hypoxia-inducible factor 2 suppresses chondrocyte autophagy. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:1406-15 pubmed publisher..Based on these observations, we conclude that HIF-2 is a potent regulator of autophagy in maturing chondrocytes. Our data suggest that this protein acts as a brake on the autophagy-accelerator function of HIF-1. ..
- Huang C, Zhang X, Tavaluc R, Hart L, Dicker D, Wang W, et al. The combination of 5-fluorouracil plus p53 pathway restoration is associated with depletion of p53-deficient or mutant p53-expressing putative colon cancer stem cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2009;8:2186-93 pubmed..Our results support the feasibility of therapeutic targeting of mutant p53 in putative cancer stem cells as well as the potential to enhance cytotoxic chemotherapy. ..
- Cappola T, Matkovich S, Wang W, van Booven D, Li M, Wang X, et al. Loss-of-function DNA sequence variant in the CLCNKA chloride channel implicates the cardio-renal axis in interindividual heart failure risk variation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2456-61 pubmed publisher..The variant CLCNKA risk allele, telegraphed by linked variants in the adjacent HSPB7 gene, uncovers a previously overlooked genetic mechanism affecting the cardio-renal axis. ..
- Golovina T, Mikheeva T, Brusko T, Blazar B, Bluestone J, Riley J. Retinoic acid and rapamycin differentially affect and synergistically promote the ex vivo expansion of natural human T regulatory cells. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e15868 pubmed publisher..We conclude that while the use of ATRA as a single agent to expand Tregs for human therapy is not warranted, its use in combination with rapamycin may have benefit. ..
- Arif E, Wagner M, Johnstone D, Wong H, George B, Pruthi P, et al. Motor protein Myo1c is a podocyte protein that facilitates the transport of slit diaphragm protein Neph1 to the podocyte membrane. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:2134-50 pubmed publisher..These results identify a novel Myo1c-dependent molecular mechanism that mediates the dynamic organization of Neph1 and nephrin at the slit diaphragm and is critical for podocyte function. ..
- Fox E, Patel S, Wathen J, Schuetze S, Chawla S, Harmon D, et al. Phase II study of sequential gemcitabine followed by docetaxel for recurrent Ewing sarcoma, osteosarcoma, or unresectable or locally recurrent chondrosarcoma: results of Sarcoma Alliance for Research Through Collaboration Study 003. Oncologist. 2012;17:321 pubmed publisher..The primary objective was to determine the objective response rate using response evaluation criteria in solid tumors (RECIST)...
- Groheux D, Mankoff D, EspiÃ© M, HindiÃ© E. Â¹â¸F-FDG PET/CT in the early prediction of pathological response in aggressive subtypes of breast cancer: review of the literature and recommendations for use in clinical trials. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2016;43:983-93 pubmed publisher..The results of a multicentre trial that used early metabolic response on (18)F-FDG PET/CT as a means to select poor responders to adapt neoadjuvant treatment have recently been published. Other trials are ongoing or being planned. ..
- Hayanga J, Lira A, Aboagye J, Hayanga H, D Cunha J. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation as a bridge to lung transplantation: what lessons might we learn from volume and expertise?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016;22:406-10 pubmed publisher..74, 95% confidence interval 1.61-4.68, P = 0.01). Lowest volume centres have lowest survival and there exists a volume threshold at which better outcomes are achieved. ..
- Cohen Y, Bennur S, Christison Lagay K, Gifford A, Tsunada J. Functional Organization of the Ventral Auditory Pathway. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;894:381-388 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies indicate that the ventral pathway contains hierarchical circuits that are specialized for auditory perception and scene analysis. ..
- Sawaya B, Khalili K, Mercer W, Denisova L, Amini S. Cooperative actions of HIV-1 Vpr and p53 modulate viral gene transcription. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:20052-7 pubmed
- Gunton K, Chung C, Schnall B, Prieto D, Wexler A, Koller H. Comparison of balloon dacryocystoplasty to probing as the primary treatment of congenital nasolacrimal duct obstruction. J AAPOS. 2001;5:139-42 pubmed..This study compares the results of primary probing to balloon dacryocystoplasty (DCP) in children stratified by age category...
- Cheng G, Meinkoth J. Enhanced sensitivity to apoptosis in Ras-transformed thyroid cells. Oncogene. 2001;20:7334-41 pubmed..Moreover, Ras expression results in a greater dependence of thyroid cells on MAPK and PI3K activity for their survival. ..
- Madesh M, Antonsson B, Srinivasula S, Alnemri E, Hajnoczky G. Rapid kinetics of tBid-induced cytochrome c and Smac/DIABLO release and mitochondrial depolarization. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:5651-9 pubmed..The tBid-induced loss of DeltaPsi(m) occurs after cytochrome c release and reflects impairment of oxidative metabolism. ..
- Stokes D, Liu G, Coimbra I, Piera Velazquez S, Crowl R, Jimenez S. Assessment of the gene expression profile of differentiated and dedifferentiated human fetal chondrocytes by microarray analysis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;46:404-19 pubmed..At least 3 of the genes that were regulated in response to dedifferentiation were also found to be expressed in adult normal and OA articular cartilage and chondrocytes. ..
- Birnbaum M. Lipolysis: more than just a lipase. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:1011-2 pubmed
- Ashkenazi A, Silberstein S, Jakubowski M, Burstein R. Improved identification of allodynic migraine patients using a questionnaire. Cephalalgia. 2007;27:325-9 pubmed
- Guerra C, Schwartz J, Armstrong K, Brown J, Halbert C, Shea J. Barriers of and facilitators to physician recommendation of colorectal cancer screening. J Gen Intern Med. 2007;22:1681-8 pubmed..There are multiple physician, patient, and system barriers to recommending CRCS. Thus, interventions may need to target barriers at multiple levels to successfully increase physician recommendation of CRCS. ..
- Mandel J, Weller G, Chennupati S, Mirza N. Transglottic high frequency jet ventilation for management of laryngeal fracture associated with air bag deployment injury. J Clin Anesth. 2008;20:369-371 pubmed publisher..The advantages of this technique in the management of patients who are not good candidates for awake tracheostomy are discussed. ..
- Li P, Ward M, Schneider J. Factors associated with Iowa rural hospitals' decision to convert to critical access hospital status. J Rural Health. 2009;25:70-6 pubmed publisher..Although financial concerns are often cited in surveys as the main reason for conversion, lower number of discharges and ALOS are the most prominent factors affecting rural hospitals' decision on when to convert. ..
- Wall B. Catholic sister nurses in Selma, Alabama, 1940-1972. ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2009;32:91-102 pubmed publisher..The sisters' work demonstrates how an analysis of race in nursing history is incomplete without an understanding of the roles that a number of Catholic religious women took in reaching out to African Americans in the Deep South. ..
- Baillat D, Shiekhattar R. Functional dissection of the human TNRC6 (GW182-related) family of proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4144-55 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the C-terminal domain containing the RNA recognition motif plays a critical role in the silencing mediated by the TNRC6B protein. ..
- Evans P, Sacan A, Ungar L, Tozeren A. Sequence alignment reveals possible MAPK docking motifs on HIV proteins. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8942 pubmed publisher..The motif usage on HIV proteins is sufficiently different from human proteins in amino acid sequence similarity to allow for HIV specific targeting using small-molecule drugs. ..
- Glanz K, Beck A, Bundy L, Primo S, Lynn M, Cleveland J, et al. Impact of a health communication intervention to improve glaucoma treatment adherence. Results of the interactive study to increase glaucoma adherence to treatment trial. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130:1252-8 pubmed..More frequent, and personalized, telephone contact may be helpful to patients who are known to be nonadherent. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier:NCT00794170. ..
- Yang K, DeAngelis R, Reed J, Ricklin D, Lambris J. Complement in action: an analysis of patent trends from 1976 through 2011. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2013;735:301-13 pubmed..All of the patents discussed in this chapter, as well as those from other databases, are available from our newly constructed complement patent database: www.innateimmunity.us/patent. ..
- Colace T, Tormoen G, McCarty O, Diamond S. Microfluidics and coagulation biology. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2013;15:283-303 pubmed publisher..Overall, microfluidic advances offer many opportunities for research, drug testing under relevant hemodynamic conditions, and clinical diagnostics. ..
- Maisel A, Mueller C, Neath S, Christenson R, Morgenthaler N, McCord J, et al. Copeptin helps in the early detection of patients with acute myocardial infarction: primary results of the CHOPIN trial (Copeptin Helps in the early detection Of Patients with acute myocardial INfarction). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:150-160 pubmed publisher..This combination has the potential to rule out AMI in 58% of patients without serial blood draws. ..
- Holmes M, Simon T, Exeter H, Folkersen L, Asselbergs F, Guardiola M, et al. Secretory phospholipase A(2)-IIA and cardiovascular disease: a mendelian randomization study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62:1966-1976 pubmed publisher..Instrumental variable analysis failed to show associations between sPLA2 enzyme activity and MVE. Reducing sPLA2-IIA mass is unlikely to be a useful therapeutic goal for preventing cardiovascular events. ..
- Li Q, Brodsky J, Conlin L, Pawel B, Glatz A, Gafni R, et al. Mutations in the ABCC6 gene as a cause of generalized arterial calcification of infancy: genotypic overlap with pseudoxanthoma elasticum. J Invest Dermatol. 2014;134:658-665 pubmed publisher..In addition, our study emphasizes the potential utility of shared homozygosity mapping to identify genetic causes of inherited disorders. ..
- Loarca L, Sassi Gaha S, Artlett C. Two ?-dicarbonyls downregulate migration, invasion, and adhesion of liver cancer cells in a p53-dependent manner. Dig Liver Dis. 2013;45:938-46 pubmed publisher..The effects of both compounds on cell invasion are dependent on p53 and imply that ?-dicarbonyls could be efficacious in the treatment of p53-expressing invasive liver tumors. ..
- Alexander E, Phillips M. Influence of apolipoprotein A-I and apolipoprotein A-II availability on nascent HDL heterogeneity. J Lipid Res. 2013;54:3464-70 pubmed publisher..Manipulation of this ratio provides a means of altering the relative distribution of LpA-I and LpA-I+A-II HDL particles. ..
- Flanagan Steet H, Aarnio M, Kwan B, Guihard P, Petrey A, Haskins M, et al. Cathepsin-Mediated Alterations in TGFÃŸ-Related Signaling Underlie Disrupted Cartilage and Bone Maturation Associated With Impaired Lysosomal Targeting. J Bone Miner Res. 2016;31:535-48 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the complexity of the skeletal disease associated with MLII and bring new insight to the role of secreted cathepsin proteases in cartilage development and growth factor regulation. ..
- Shin G, Kim D, Doh J, Lee D, Lee N, Jung G. High-resolution pluronic-filled microchip CE-SSCP analysis system via channel width control. Electrophoresis. 2016;37:676-9 pubmed publisher..Potential applications of our method in various genetic analyses were also shown by using SNP markers for spinal muscular atrophy. ..
- Bagley S, Kothari S, Aggarwal C, Bauml J, Alley E, Evans T, et al. Pretreatment neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as a marker of outcomes in nivolumab-treated patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2017;106:1-7 pubmed publisher..It is unclear whether this marker is predictive or prognostic. Prospective studies are warranted to determine the utility of NLR in the context of other biomarkers of programmed death-1 (PD-1) therapy. ..
- Sacca R, Zur K, Crowley T, Zackai E, Valverde K, McDonald McGinn D. Association of airway abnormalities with 22q11.2 deletion syndrome. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;96:11-14 pubmed publisher..2DS and airway anomalies. Postnatal assessment of airway structure and function among patients with 22q11.2DS is an important component of overall evaluation and will help guide long-term management. ..
- Goldberg D, Zak V, Goldstein B, Chen S, Hamstra M, Radojewski E, et al. Results of a phase I/II multi-center investigation of udenafil in adolescents after fontan palliation. Am Heart J. 2017;188:42-52 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the 87.5 mg bid regimen may be the most appropriate for a Phase III clinical trial. ..
- Vogel J, Lin L, Litzky L, Berman A, Simone C. Predicted Rate of Secondary Malignancies Following Adjuvant Proton Versus Photon Radiation Therapy for Thymoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;99:427-433 pubmed publisher..By decreasing expected late complications, proton therapy may improve the therapeutic ratio of adjuvant radiation therapy for patients with stage II thymic malignancies. ..
- Bajaj B, Verma S, Lan K, Cotter M, Woodman Z, Robertson E. KSHV encoded LANA upregulates Pim-1 and is a substrate for its kinase activity. Virology. 2006;351:18-28 pubmed..This report provides valuable insight into yet another cellular signaling pathway subverted by KSHV LANA and suggests a contribution to KSHV related oncogenesis. ..
- Hoag J, Sherman M, Fasihuddin Q, Lund M. A comprehensive review of spontaneous pneumothorax complicating sarcoma. Chest. 2010;138:510-8 pubmed publisher..SPTX complicating sarcoma is associated with most cell types and is associated with increased mortality compared with patients without this complication. ..
- Raffa R. Short introduction and history. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2010;678:1-10 pubmed..This chapter introduces the reader to the fascinating and complex challenges-to patients, healthcare providers, basic scientists, employers, insurers and others-inherent in this topic and the current state of knowledge about it. ..
- Fishel R, Wilson T. MutS homologs in mammalian cells. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:105-13 pubmed..The redundant functions of MSH3 and MSH6 explain the greater prevalence of hmsh2 mutations in HNPCC families. ..
- Rothbard A, Kuno E, Schinnar A, Hadley T, Turk R. Service utilization and cost of community care for discharged state hospital patients: a 3-year follow-up study. Am J Psychiatry. 1999;156:920-7 pubmed
- Mehta N, Romanelli J, Sutton M. Native aortic valve vegetative endocarditis with Cunninghamella. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2004;5:156-8 pubmed..There have only been two other reported cases of native valve endocarditis with a Mucor species, and in those cases, the diagnoses were made post-mortem. ..
- Gitler A, Lu M, Epstein J. PlexinD1 and semaphorin signaling are required in endothelial cells for cardiovascular development. Dev Cell. 2004;7:107-16 pubmed..Thus, molecular programs that mediate axon guidance in the central nervous system also function in endothelial cells to orchestrate critical aspects of cardiac morphogenesis. ..
- La P, Silva A, Hou Z, Wang H, Schnepp R, Yan N, et al. Direct binding of DNA by tumor suppressor menin. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:49045-54 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate, for the first time, a novel biochemical activity of menin, binding to DNA, and link its DNA binding to the regulation of cell proliferation. ..
- Okai A, Muppidi S, Bagla R, Leist T. Progressive necrotizing myelopathy: part of the spectrum of neuromyelitis optica?. Neurol Res. 2006;28:354-9 pubmed..The presence of NMO-IgG antibody marker suggests that progressive necrotizing myelopathy is part of a disease spectrum of which traditional NMO is a select presentation. ..
- Geller P, Neugebauer R, Possemato A, Walter P, Dummit E, Silva R. Psychometric properties of Darryl, a cartoon based measure to assess community violence-related PTSD in children. Psychiatr Q. 2007;78:157-68 pubmed..The value of Darryl as a screening tool remains preliminary given the limited number of diagnosed cases of PTSD in the study sample. Full scale efforts at replication are warranted. ..
- Avants B, Hurt H, Giannetta J, Epstein C, Shera D, Rao H, et al. Effects of heavy in utero cocaine exposure on adolescent caudate morphology. Pediatr Neurol. 2007;37:275-9 pubmed..The right (P < 0.025) and left (P < 0.035) caudate, studied independently, show the same significant trend. Permutation testing and the false discovery rate were used to assess significance. ..
- Casale P, Canning D. Laparoscopic orchiopexy. BJU Int. 2007;100:1197-206 pubmed
- Weidemann C, Huber D, Shiffrin R. Prime diagnosticity in short-term repetition priming: is primed evidence discounted, even when it reliably indicates the correct answer?. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn. 2008;34:257-81 pubmed publisher..A computational model, with the assumption that adaptation to the statistics of the experiment modulates the level of evidence discounting, accounted for these results. ..
- Heckman C, Coups E, Manne S. Prevalence and correlates of indoor tanning among US adults. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;58:769-80 pubmed publisher..The study design was cross-sectional and all data were self-reported. Health care providers should address indoor tanning as a health risk factor across the lifespan. ..
- Schnoll R, Patterson F, Wileyto E, Tyndale R, Benowitz N, Lerman C. Nicotine metabolic rate predicts successful smoking cessation with transdermal nicotine: a validation study. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2009;92:6-11 pubmed publisher..38, t=-3.09, p<.05). These data support the value of the 3-HC/cotinine ratio as a biomarker to predict success with transdermal nicotine for smoking cessation. ..
- Topjian A, Nadkarni V, Berg R. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in children. Curr Opin Crit Care. 2009;15:203-8 pubmed..The implementation of new prearrest, intraarrest and postresuscitative therapies has the potential to further improve survival rates following pediatric cardiac arrest. ..
- van Zanten M, Parkins L, Karle H, Hallock J. Accreditation of undergraduate medical education in the Caribbean: report on the Caribbean accreditation authority for education in medicine and other health professions. Acad Med. 2009;84:771-5 pubmed publisher..The evaluation and monitoring of undergraduate medical education programs in the Caribbean by a regional accrediting system such as CAAM-HP can help ensure the quality of the education delivered at these diverse institutions. ..
- Sulzbach Hoke L, Ratcliffe S, Kimmel S, Kolansky D, Polomano R. Predictors of complications following sheath removal with percutaneous coronary intervention. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2010;25:E1-8 pubmed publisher..Patients who are older and those with elevated blood pressure should have their femoral access site closely monitored and be observed for vascular complications. ..
- Zhao J, Li M, Bradfield J, Zhang H, Mentch F, Wang K, et al. The role of height-associated loci identified in genome wide association studies in the determination of pediatric stature. BMC Med Genet. 2010;11:96 pubmed publisher..64% of the total variation for height z-score. Among 46 loci that have been reported to associate with adult height to date, at least 15 also contribute to the determination of height in childhood. ..
- Rudnick S, Lou J, Shaller C, Tang Y, Klein Szanto A, Weiner L, et al. Influence of affinity and antigen internalization on the uptake and penetration of Anti-HER2 antibodies in solid tumors. Cancer Res. 2011;71:2250-9 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings offer insights into how to optimize the ability of therapeutic antibodies to penetrate tumors. ..
- Pretell Mazzini J, Carrigan R. Simultaneous distal radial fractures and carpal bones injuries in children: a review article. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2011;20:330-3 pubmed publisher..Failure to treat both injuries appropriately may result in an unsatisfactory clinical result...
- Tanizawa H, Noma K. Unravelling global genome organization by 3C-seq. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2012;23:213-21 pubmed publisher..Here, we compare the latest genomic approaches such as 3C-seq and ChIA-PET, and provide a condensed overview of how eukaryotic genomes are functionally organized in the nucleus. ..
- Siman R, Giovannone N, Toraskar N, Frangos S, Stein S, Levine J, et al. Evidence that a panel of neurodegeneration biomarkers predicts vasospasm, infarction, and outcome in aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e28938 pubmed publisher..The panel may be valuable as surrogate endpoints for controlled clinical evaluation of treatment interventions and for guiding aSAH patient care. ..
- Pavlides S, Gutierrez Pajares J, Danilo C, Lisanti M, Frank P. Atherosclerosis, caveolae and caveolin-1. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012;729:127-44 pubmed publisher..In the present chapter, the various roles of caveolae and caveolin-1 in the development of atherosclerosis are examined...
- Kiriakidou M, Nelson P, Kouranov A, Fitziev P, Bouyioukos C, Mourelatos Z, et al. A combined computational-experimental approach predicts human microRNA targets. Genes Dev. 2004;18:1165-78 pubmed..We describe a computational program, "DIANA-microT", that identifies mRNA targets for animal miRNAs and predicts mRNA targets, bearing single MREs, for human and mouse miRNAs. ..
- Ackerman M. Gatekeepers of scholarship. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2005;8:18-20 pubmed
- Wadden T, Berkowitz R, Womble L, Sarwer D, Phelan S, Cato R, et al. Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2111-20 pubmed..The results underscore the importance of prescribing weight-loss medications in combination with, rather than in lieu of, lifestyle modification. ..
- Jensen L, Hoess K, Mitchell L, Whitehead A. Loss of function polymorphisms in NAT1 protect against spina bifida. Hum Genet. 2006;120:52-7 pubmed
- Xu K, Zheng X, Sehgal A. Regulation of feeding and metabolism by neuronal and peripheral clocks in Drosophila. Cell Metab. 2008;8:289-300 pubmed publisher..We propose that the input of neuronal clocks and clocks in metabolic tissues is coordinated to provide effective energy homeostasis...
- Okumura A, Pitha P, Yoshimura A, Harty R. Interaction between Ebola virus glycoprotein and host toll-like receptor 4 leads to induction of proinflammatory cytokines and SOCS1. J Virol. 2010;84:27-33 pubmed publisher..In sum, these findings identify the host innate immune protein TLR4 as a sensor for Ebola virus GP which may play an important role in the immunopathogenesis of Ebola virus infection. ..
- England R, Preston K, Scalia R, Autieri M. Interleukin-19 decreases leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions by reduction in endothelial cell adhesion molecule mRNA stability. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013;305:C255-65 pubmed publisher..Function of IL-19 outside of the immune system is a novel concept, suggesting that resident vascular cells can adopt a Th2 phenotype, and has important ramifications for numerous inflammatory diseases. ..
- Spring L, Krakowski A, Alam M, Bhatia A, Brauer J, Cohen J, et al. Isotretinoin and Timing of Procedural Interventions: A Systematic Review With Consensus Recommendations. JAMA Dermatol. 2017;153:802-809 pubmed publisher..For some patients and some conditions, an informed decision may lead to earlier and potentially more effective interventions. ..
- Kivirikko S, McGrath J, Pulkkinen L, Uitto J, Christiano A. Mutational hotspots in the LAMB3 gene in the lethal (Herlitz) type of junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Hum Mol Genet. 1996;5:231-7 pubmed..Elucidation of these two hotspot mutations will facilitate screening of additional JEB patients for the underlying mutations. ..
- Koerselman J, Pursnani K, Peghini P, Mohiuddin M, Katzka D, Akkermans L, et al. Different effects of an oral anticholinergic drug on gastroesophageal reflux in upright and supine position in normal, ambulant subjects: a pilot study. Am J Gastroenterol. 1999;94:925-30 pubmed..Therefore, its effects are dependent on body position and fasted or fed state. Our results justify additional studies with oral anticholinergic agents in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. ..
- Oslin D, Streim J, Katz I, Smith B, DiFilippo S, Ten Have T, et al. Heuristic comparison of sertraline with nortriptyline for the treatment of depression in frail elderly patients. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2000;8:141-9 pubmed..There were no differences in the tolerability of sertraline vs. nortriptyline. However, in this group of frail older adults, sertraline was not as effective as nortriptyline for the treatment of depression...
- Aiken L, Clarke S, Sloane D. Hospital restructuring: does it adversely affect care and outcomes?. J Health Hum Serv Adm. 2001;23:416-42 pubmed
- Raikin S, Minnich J. Failed tarsal tunnel syndrome surgery. Foot Ankle Clin. 2003;8:159-74 pubmed..An adequate release must be ensured, and associatedpathologies must be addressed. One should consider containment procedures for adhesive neuritis and PNS for intraneural or intractable pain...
- Crawford G, McGovern T. Botanical briefs: Tulips--Tulipa species L. Cutis. 2003;71:347-8 pubmed
- Katz P. Optimizing medical therapy for gastroesophageal reflux disease: state of the art. Rev Gastroenterol Disord. 2003;3:59-69 pubmed..PPIs provide superior control of intragastric pH over a 24-hour period compared with H2RAs and effect greater symptom relief and healing. ..
- Bozkurt A, Onaral B. Safety assessment of near infrared light emitting diodes for diffuse optical measurements. Biomed Eng Online. 2004;3:9 pubmed..Adjusting operational parameters by amplitude modulating or time multiplexing the LED can keep the LED within safe temperature ranges. ..
- Marsh E, Melamed S, Barron T, Clancy R. Migrating partial seizures in infancy: expanding the phenotype of a rare seizure syndrome. Epilepsia. 2005;46:568-72 pubmed..Our data also suggest that the prognosis of this syndrome, although poor, is not as uniformly grim as the cases reported previously in the literature. ..
- Weiss M, Zhou S, Feng L, Gell D, Mackay J, Shi Y, et al. Role of alpha-hemoglobin-stabilizing protein in normal erythropoiesis and beta-thalassemia. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005;1054:103-17 pubmed..Moreover, understanding how AHSP stabilizes alphaHb provides a theoretical basis for new strategies to inhibit the damaging effects of free alphaHb that accumulates in beta-thalassemia. ..
- Neofytos D, Horn D, De Simone J. Rhodotorula mucilaginosa catheter-related fungemia in a patient with sickle cell disease: case presentation and literature review. South Med J. 2007;100:198-200 pubmed..Rhodotorula mucilaginosa can be a significant, recalcitrant pathogen in immunocompromised patients and prompt treatment should be instituted. ..