Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on dna methylation in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Topic: dna methylation
- Cortellino S, Turner D, Masciullo V, Schepis F, Albino D, Daniel R, et al. The base excision repair enzyme MED1 mediates DNA damage response to antitumor drugs and is associated with mismatch repair system integrity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15071-6 pubmed..MED1 defects (much like MMR defects) may impair cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induced by DNA damage. ..
- Ibragimova I, Slifker M, Maradeo M, Banumathy G, Dulaimi E, Uzzo R, et al. Genome-wide promoter methylome of small renal masses. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77309 pubmed publisher..The differential methylation signatures may have utility in early detection and particularly differential diagnosis for prognostic stratification as well as identify novel gene and pathway targets for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Leichman L, Groshen S, O Neil B, Messersmith W, Berlin J, Chan E, et al. Phase II Study of Olaparib (AZD-2281) After Standard Systemic Therapies for Disseminated Colorectal Cancer. Oncologist. 2016;21:172-7 pubmed publisher..It is possible that by adding olaparib to radiation therapy, or to a systemic DNA damaging agent, tumor lethality could be obtained. However, the price would be increased toxicity. ..
- Macaluso M, Montanari M, Giordano A. The regulation of ER-alpha transcription by pRb2/p130 in breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2005;16 Suppl 4:iv20-22 pubmed..Our studies suggested that pRb2/p130-complexes bind to the ER-alpha promoter and could be involved in the transcriptional regulation of the ER-alpha gene by altering chromatin structure and DNA methylation pattern. ..
- Iliopoulos D, Guler G, Han S, Johnston D, Druck T, McCorkell K, et al. Fragile genes as biomarkers: epigenetic control of WWOX and FHIT in lung, breast and bladder cancer. Oncogene. 2005;24:1625-33 pubmed..Differential methylation in cancerous vs adjacent tissues suggests that WWOX and FHIT hypermethylation analyses could enrich a panel of DNA methylation markers. ..
- Ibanez de Caceres I, Dulaimi E, Hoffman A, Al Saleem T, Uzzo R, Cairns P. Identification of novel target genes by an epigenetic reactivation screen of renal cancer. Cancer Res. 2006;66:5021-8 pubmed
- Li X, Mai J, Virtue A, Yin Y, Gong R, Sha X, et al. IL-35 is a novel responsive anti-inflammatory cytokine--a new system of categorizing anti-inflammatory cytokines. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e33628 pubmed publisher..Our in-depth analyses of molecular events that regulate the production of IL-35 as well as the new categorization system of anti-inflammatory cytokines are important for the design of new strategies of immune therapies. ..
- Jamieson K, Wiles E, McNaught K, Sidoli S, Leggett N, Shao Y, et al. Loss of HP1 causes depletion of H3K27me3 from facultative heterochromatin and gain of H3K27me2 at constitutive heterochromatin. Genome Res. 2016;26:97-107 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings with Neurospora clarify interactions of facultative and constitutive heterochromatin in eukaryotes. ..
- Petruk S, Cai J, Sussman R, Sun G, Kovermann S, Mariani S, et al. Delayed Accumulation of H3K27me3 on Nascent DNA Is Essential for Recruitment of Transcription Factors at Early Stages of Stem Cell Differentiation. Mol Cell. 2017;66:247-257.e5 pubmed publisher..This insight may explain the developmental plasticity of stem cells and facilitate their exploitation for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Cui S, Eauclaire S, Matthews R. Interferon-gamma directly mediates developmental biliary defects. Zebrafish. 2013;10:177-83 pubmed publisher..These results support an importance of IFN? in mediating biliary defects, and also demonstrate the feasibility of direct injection of intact protein into developing zebrafish larvae. ..
- Merlo L, Shah N, Li X, Blount P, Vaughan T, Reid B, et al. A comprehensive survey of clonal diversity measures in Barrett's esophagus as biomarkers of progression to esophageal adenocarcinoma. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010;3:1388-97 pubmed publisher..001). The type of alterations evaluated had little effect on the predictive value of most of the diversity measures. In summary, diversity measures are robust predictors of progression to cancer in this cohort. ..
- Han S, Iliopoulos D, Druck T, Guler G, Grubbs C, Pereira M, et al. CpG methylation in the Fhit regulatory region: relation to Fhit expression in murine tumors. Oncogene. 2004;23:3990-8 pubmed
- Kung B, Zhao H, Hicks S, Tang X, Ikegaki N. Biological significance of EPHA2 expression in neuroblastoma. Int J Oncol. 2009;35:845-50 pubmed..In addition, pharmaceutical enhancement of EPHA2 by non-cytotoxic agents may offer an effective therapeutic approach in the treatment of children with unfavorable neuroblastoma. ..
- Mann M, Lee S, Doherty A, Verona R, Nolen L, Schultz R, et al. Selective loss of imprinting in the placenta following preimplantation development in culture. Development. 2004;131:3727-35 pubmed..These results indicate that tissues of trophectoderm origin are unable to restore genomic imprints and suggest that mechanisms that safeguard imprinting might be more robust in the embryo than in the placenta. ..
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Marzec M, Raghunath P, Nagasawa T, Wasik M. STAT3- and DNA methyltransferase 1-mediated epigenetic silencing of SHP-1 tyrosine phosphatase tumor suppressor gene in malignant T lymphocytes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:6948-53 pubmed..Reversal of such gene silencing represents an attractive aim for novel anticancer therapies. ..
- Lin S, Ferguson Smith A, Schultz R, Bartolomei M. Nonallelic transcriptional roles of CTCF and cohesins at imprinted loci. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:3094-104 pubmed publisher..Results of these experiments demonstrate an unappreciated role for CTCF and cohesins in the repression of imprinted genes in somatic cells. ..
- Cheng Y, Wang K, Kellam L, Lee Y, Liang C, Han Z, et al. Effects of ooplasm manipulation on DNA methylation and growth of progeny in mice. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:464-72 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that some ooplasm manipulation procedures may exert subtle effects on growth early in life, while intergenotype GVT can result in significant growth deficiencies after birth. ..
- Ladd Acosta C, Shu C, Lee B, Gidaya N, Singer A, Schieve L, et al. Presence of an epigenetic signature of prenatal cigarette smoke exposure in childhood. Environ Res. 2016;144:139-148 pubmed publisher..These findings support the potential for blood-derived DNAm measurements to serve as biomarkers for prenatal exposure. ..
- Cairns P. Gene methylation and early detection of genitourinary cancer: the road ahead. Nat Rev Cancer. 2007;7:531-43 pubmed..The challenges of, and strategies for, advancing gene-methylation-based detection are relevant to all types of cancer. ..
- Hakimi M, Bochar D, Schmiesing J, Dong Y, Barak O, Speicher D, et al. A chromatin remodelling complex that loads cohesin onto human chromosomes. Nature. 2002;418:994-8 pubmed..Finally, we present evidence pointing to a role for the ATPase activity of SNF2h in the loading of hRAD21 on chromatin. ..
- Zhao L, Yu C, Zhou S, Lau W, Lau B, Luo Z, et al. Epigenetic repression of PDZ-LIM domain-containing protein 2 promotes ovarian cancer via NOS2-derived nitric oxide signaling. Oncotarget. 2016;7:1408-20 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that PDLIM2 might be involved in ovarian cancer pathogenesis, which could serve as a promising therapeutic target for ovarian cancer patients. ..
- Guler G, Iliopoulos D, Han S, Fong L, Lubet R, Grubbs C, et al. Hypermethylation patterns in the Fhit regulatory region are tissue specific. Mol Carcinog. 2005;43:175-81 pubmed..The specific patterns of hypermethylated CpGs in the Fhit regulatory regions thus appear to be tissue-specific. ..
- Satyamoorthy K, Howe C. The mouse elongation factor-2 gene: isolation and characterization of the promoter. DNA Cell Biol. 1997;16:401-12 pubmed..Because ATF1 responds poorly to cAMP induction, it is likely the contributor to the constitutive expression rather than inductive expression of the CRE-like element, and, thus, the EF-2 gene. ..
- Vucetic Z, Kimmel J, Reyes T. Chronic high-fat diet drives postnatal epigenetic regulation of ?-opioid receptor in the brain. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2011;36:1199-206 pubmed publisher..These data are the first to identify DNA methylation, MeCP2 recruitment, and chromatin remodeling as mechanisms leading to transcriptional repression of MOR in the brains of mice fed a high-fat diet. ..
- Haagmans W, van der Woude M. Phase variation of Ag43 in Escherichia coli: Dam-dependent methylation abrogates OxyR binding and OxyR-mediated repression of transcription. Mol Microbiol. 2000;35:877-87 pubmed..These results show that Dam-dependent phase variation in E. coli is not limited to the previously identified regulatory system of the family of pap-like fimbrial operons. ..
- Roberti A, Rizzolio F, Lucchetti C, de Leval L, Giordano A. Ubiquitin-mediated protein degradation and methylation-induced gene silencing cooperate in the inactivation of the INK4/ARF locus in Burkitt lymphoma cell lines. Cell Cycle. 2011;10:127-34 pubmed
- Schuster J, Longo M, Nelson P. Differential expression of bikunin (HAI-2/PB), a proposed mediator of glioma invasion, by demethylation treatment. J Neurooncol. 2003;64:219-25 pubmed..Because the expression of HAI-2/B is inversely related to glioma invasiveness and degree of malignancy, this finding may provide insight into glioma initiation and progression as well as potentially providing new therapeutic targets. ..
- Karakoula K, Jacques T, Phipps K, Harkness W, Thompson D, Harding B, et al. Epigenetic genome-wide analysis identifies BEX1 as a candidate tumour suppressor gene in paediatric intracranial ependymoma. Cancer Lett. 2014;346:34-44 pubmed publisher..Epigenetic inactivation of BEX1 supports its role as a candidate tumour suppressor gene in intracranial ependymoma, and a potential target for novel therapies for ependymoma in children. ..
- Picchio M, Martin E, Cesari R, Calin G, Yendamuri S, Kuroki T, et al. Alterations of the tumor suppressor gene Parkin in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:2720-4 pubmed..These data suggest that Parkin is a tumor suppressor gene whose inactivation may play an important role in non-small cell lung cancer tumorigenesis. ..
- D Andrilli G, Masciullo V, Bagella L, Tonini T, Minimo C, Zannoni G, et al. Frequent loss of pRb2/p130 in human ovarian carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:3098-103 pubmed..Moreover, pRb2/p130 overexpression is able to arrest cell growth in ovarian carcinoma cells, suggesting the putative role of pRb2/p130 as a tumor suppressor in this malignancy. ..
- Turan N, Katari S, Gerson L, Chalian R, Foster M, Gaughan J, et al. Inter- and intra-individual variation in allele-specific DNA methylation and gene expression in children conceived using assisted reproductive technology. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001033 pubmed publisher..Extraembryonic tissues of embryos cultured in vitro appear to be derived from fewer trophoblast stem cells. It is possible that this developmental difference has an effect on placental and fetal growth. ..
- Thomas R, Gamper C, Ladle B, Powell J, Wells A. De novo DNA methylation is required to restrict T helper lineage plasticity. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:22900-9 pubmed publisher..Therefore, DNMT3a-mediated DNA methylation restricts T helper plasticity by establishing an epigenetically silent chromatin structure at regulatory regions of the ifn? gene. ..
- Kohli R, Zhang Y. TET enzymes, TDG and the dynamics of DNA demethylation. Nature. 2013;502:472-9 pubmed publisher..Methylation, oxidation and repair now offer a model for a complete cycle of dynamic cytosine modification, with mounting evidence for its significance in the biological processes known to involve active demethylation. ..
- Kuroki T, Trapasso F, Yendamuri S, Matsuyama A, Alder H, Williams N, et al. Allelic loss on chromosome 3p21.3 and promoter hypermethylation of semaphorin 3B in non-small cell lung cancer. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3352-5 pubmed..These results indicate that SEMA3B gene alterations may play a important role in the malignant transformation of NSCLC via a two-hit mechanism, including epigenetic changes and allelic loss, for tumor suppressor gene inactivation. ..
- Ma P, Lin S, Bartolomei M, Schultz R. Metastasis tumor antigen 2 (MTA2) is involved in proper imprinted expression of H19 and Peg3 during mouse preimplantation development. Biol Reprod. 2010;83:1027-35 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results support a role for MTA2 within the NuRD complex in genomic imprinting. ..
- Wallecha A, Correnti J, Munster V, van der Woude M. Phase variation of Ag43 is independent of the oxidation state of OxyR. J Bacteriol. 2003;185:2203-9 pubmed
- Ideraabdullah F, Abramowitz L, Thorvaldsen J, Krapp C, Wen S, Engel N, et al. Novel cis-regulatory function in ICR-mediated imprinted repression of H19. Dev Biol. 2011;355:349-57 pubmed publisher..In addition, these results strongly implicate a novel role of ICR size and CpG density in paternal H19 repression. ..
- Hutchins A, Mullen A, Lee H, Sykes K, High F, Hendrich B, et al. Gene silencing quantitatively controls the function of a developmental trans-activator. Mol Cell. 2002;10:81-91 pubmed..Gata-3 functions, in part, to displace MBD2 from methylated DNA. These results suggest that activating and silencing signals integrate to provide spatially and temporally restricted patterns of gene activity. ..
- Davis T, Tremblay K, Bartolomei M. Imprinted expression and methylation of the mouse H19 gene are conserved in extraembryonic lineages. Dev Genet. 1998;23:111-8 pubmed..Thus in extraembryonic lineages, the majority of H19 DNA is differentially methylated. These results lend further support to the hypothesis that DNA methylation confers the imprint on H19. ..
- Londoño Gentile T, Lu C, Lodato P, Tse S, Olejniczak S, Witze E, et al. DNMT1 is regulated by ATP-citrate lyase and maintains methylation patterns during adipocyte differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2013;33:3864-78 pubmed publisher..The data suggest a role for DNMT1 in modulating the timing of differentiation and describe a novel ACL-miR-148a-dependent mechanism for regulating DNMT1 during adipogenesis. ..
- Lin E, Karakasheva T, Lee D, Lee J, Long Q, Bass A, et al. Comparative transcriptomes of adenocarcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas reveal molecular similarities that span classical anatomic boundaries. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006938 pubmed publisher..All data sets from our analysis are available as a resource for further investigation...
- Song B, Jain S, Lin S, Chen Q, Block T, Song W, et al. Detection of hypermethylated vimentin in urine of patients with colorectal cancer. J Mol Diagn. 2012;14:112-9 pubmed publisher..The detection of mVIM in urine was significantly associated with CRC compared with controls (P < 0.0001, by Fisher's exact test). A potential urine test for CRC screening using epigenetic markers is discussed. ..
- Jain S, Chang T, Hamilton J, Lin S, Lin Y, Evans A, et al. Methylation of the CpG sites only on the sense strand of the APC gene is specific for hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e26799 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, methylation of the sense strand of APC occurred in 40% of HCCs from patients with serum AFP levels less than 20 ng/mL, suggesting a potential role for APC as a biomarker to complement AFP in HCC screening. ..
- Fedoriw A, Stein P, Svoboda P, Schultz R, Bartolomei M. Transgenic RNAi reveals essential function for CTCF in H19 gene imprinting. Science. 2004;303:238-40 pubmed..Our results suggest that CTCF protects the H19 DMD from de novo methylation during oocyte growth and is required for normal preimplantation development. ..
- Changolkar L, Singh G, Pehrson J. macroH2A1-dependent silencing of endogenous murine leukemia viruses. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2059-65 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that macroH2A1 histones have a significant role in silencing endogenous MLVs in vivo and suggest that specific internal MLV sequences are targeted by a macroH2A1-dependent silencing mechanism. ..
- Silviera M, Smith B, Powell J, Sapienza C. Epigenetic differences in normal colon mucosa of cancer patients suggest altered dietary metabolic pathways. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012;5:374-84 pubmed publisher..Because the differences identified are present in morphologically normal tissue, they may be diagnostic of colon cancer and/or prognostic of colon cancer susceptibility. ..
- Sandovici I, Leppert M, Hawk P, Suarez A, Linares Y, Sapienza C. Familial aggregation of abnormal methylation of parental alleles at the IGF2/H19 and IGF2R differentially methylated regions. Hum Mol Genet. 2003;12:1569-78 pubmed..However, temporal changes also occur in isolated cases, as well as within multiple individuals in the same family, indicating that environmental factors may also play a role. ..
- Nabel C, Jia H, Ye Y, Shen L, Goldschmidt H, Stivers J, et al. AID/APOBEC deaminases disfavor modified cytosines implicated in DNA demethylation. Nat Chem Biol. 2012;8:751-8 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the steric requirements for cytosine deamination are one intrinsic barrier to the proposed function of deaminases in DNA demethylation. ..
- Macaluso M, Montanari M, Noto P, Gregorio V, Bronner C, Giordano A. Epigenetic modulation of estrogen receptor-alpha by pRb family proteins: a novel mechanism in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 2007;67:7731-7 pubmed
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Liu X, Bhutani G, Kantekure K, Wasik M. IL-2R common gamma-chain is epigenetically silenced by nucleophosphin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK) and acts as a tumor suppressor by targeting NPM-ALK. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:11977-82 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the oncogenic tyrosine kinase NPM-ALK induces epigenetic silencing of the IL-2R? gene and that IL-2R? acts as a tumor suppressor by reciprocally inhibiting expression of NPM-ALK. ..
- Schutsky E, Nabel C, Davis A, Denizio J, Kohli R. APOBEC3A efficiently deaminates methylated, but not TET-oxidized, cytosine bases in DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:7655-7665 pubmed publisher..Our study informs how methylation, oxidation, and deamination can interplay in the genome and suggests A3A's potential utility as a biotechnological tool to discriminate between cytosine modification states. ..
- Mullen A, Hutchins A, High F, Lee H, Sykes K, Chodosh L, et al. Hlx is induced by and genetically interacts with T-bet to promote heritable T(H)1 gene induction. Nat Immunol. 2002;3:652-8 pubmed..These findings suggest that heritable states of gene expression might be maintained by continued expression of the inducing factor or by a mechanism that confers a stable imprint of the induced state. ..
- Garcia B, Luka Z, Loukachevitch L, Bhanu N, Wagner C. Folate deficiency affects histone methylation. Med Hypotheses. 2016;88:63-7 pubmed publisher..Because LSD1 can regulate gene expression this suggests that folate may play a more important role than simply serving as a carrier of one-carbon units and be a factor in other diseases associated with low folate. ..
- Deng Z, Norseen J, Wiedmer A, Riethman H, Lieberman P. TERRA RNA binding to TRF2 facilitates heterochromatin formation and ORC recruitment at telomeres. Mol Cell. 2009;35:403-13 pubmed publisher..We conclude that TERRA facilitates TRF2 interaction with ORC and plays a central role in telomere structural maintenance and heterochromatin formation. ..
- Kuroki T, Trapasso F, Yendamuri S, Matsuyama A, Alder H, Mori M, et al. Allele loss and promoter hypermethylation of VHL, RAR-beta, RASSF1A, and FHIT tumor suppressor genes on chromosome 3p in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Res. 2003;63:3724-8 pubmed..In addition, FHIT may be inactivated in accordance with the two-hit inactivation model, involving deletion of one allele and hypermethylation of the other. ..
- Rivera R, Stein P, Weaver J, Mager J, Schultz R, Bartolomei M. Manipulations of mouse embryos prior to implantation result in aberrant expression of imprinted genes on day 9.5 of development. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:1-14 pubmed..Additionally, our results serve as a cautionary tale for gene expression studies in which embryo transfer is used. ..
- Leclerc D, Pham D, Levesque N, Truongcao M, Foulkes W, Sapienza C, et al. Oncogenic role of PDK4 in human colon cancer cells. Br J Cancer. 2017;116:930-936 pubmed publisher..Methylation assessment of PDK4 in the blood may be useful for non-invasive CRC detection. PDK4 should be considered as a target for development of anticancer strategies and therapies. ..
- Corn P, Summers M, Fogt F, Virmani A, Gazdar A, Halazonetis T, et al. Frequent hypermethylation of the 5' CpG island of the mitotic stress checkpoint gene Chfr in colorectal and non-small cell lung cancer. Carcinogenesis. 2003;24:47-51 pubmed..These results suggest that epigenetic inactivation of Chfr may be responsible for many of the checkpoint defects observed in human cancers. ..
- Li Z, Gadue P, Chen K, Jiao Y, Tuteja G, Schug J, et al. Foxa2 and H2A.Z mediate nucleosome depletion during embryonic stem cell differentiation. Cell. 2012;151:1608-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, both epigenetic and genetic regulators cooperate to control nucleosome dynamics during ES cell fate decisions. ..
- Levine M. An update on the clinical and molecular characteristics of pseudohypoparathyroidism. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2012;19:443-51 pubmed publisher..To provide the reader with a review of contemporary literature describing the evolving understanding of the molecular pathobiology of pseudohypoparathyroidism (PHP)...
- Zhang Q, Wang H, Kantekure K, Paterson J, Liu X, Schaffer A, et al. Oncogenic tyrosine kinase NPM-ALK induces expression of the growth-promoting receptor ICOS. Blood. 2011;118:3062-71 pubmed publisher..These data also show that the DNA methylation status of the intronic CpG island affects transcriptional activity of the ICOS gene and, consequently, modulates the concentration of the expressed ICOS protein. ..
- Engel N, Raval A, Thorvaldsen J, Bartolomei S. Three-dimensional conformation at the H19/Igf2 locus supports a model of enhancer tracking. Hum Mol Genet. 2008;17:3021-9 pubmed publisher..We suggest that enhancers track along the chromosome until they find a suitable promoter sequence to interact with and that insulator elements block further tracking of enhancers...
- Nakata Y, Brignier A, Jin S, Shen Y, Rudnick S, Sugita M, et al. c-Myb, Menin, GATA-3, and MLL form a dynamic transcription complex that plays a pivotal role in human T helper type 2 cell development. Blood. 2010;116:1280-90 pubmed publisher..Therefore, c-Myb, GATA-3, and Menin form a core transcription complex that regulates GATA-3 expression and, with the recruitment of MLL, Th2 cell maturation in primary human peripheral blood T cells...
- Liu J, Zhang Z, Bando M, Itoh T, Deardorff M, Li J, et al. Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis in cohesin mutant human cell lines. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:5657-71 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that in addition to DNA methylation multiple mechanisms may be involved in transcriptional regulation in human cells and in the resultant gene misexpression in CdLS. ..
- Sullivan K, Reddy A, Dietzmann K, Suriano A, Kocieda V, Stewart M, et al. Epigenetic regulation of tumor necrosis factor alpha. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5147-60 pubmed..These studies demonstrate the importance of epigenetic regulation in the control of TNF-alpha expression. These findings may have relevance for inflammatory disorders in which TNF-alpha is overproduced. ..
- Nolen L, Gao S, Han Z, Mann M, Gie Chung Y, Otte A, et al. X chromosome reactivation and regulation in cloned embryos. Dev Biol. 2005;279:525-40 pubmed..We conclude that, although SCNT embryos can reactivate, count, and inactivate X chromosomes, they are not able to regulate XCI consistently. These results illustrate the heterogeneity of epigenetic changes found in cloned embryos. ..
- Jain S, Chen S, Chang K, Lin Y, Hu C, Boldbaatar B, et al. Impact of the location of CpG methylation within the GSTP1 gene on its specificity as a DNA marker for hepatocellular carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35789 pubmed publisher..This study clearly demonstrates the importance of the location of CpG site methylation for HCC specificity and how liver-specific DNA methylation should be considered when an epigenetic DNA marker is studied for detection of HCC. ..
- Schmutte C, Tombline G, Rhiem K, Sadoff M, Schmutzler R, von Deimling A, et al. Characterization of the human Rad51 genomic locus and examination of tumors with 15q14-15 loss of heterozygosity (LOH). Cancer Res. 1999;59:4564-9 pubmed..No indication of hypermethylation was found. These results suggest that hRad51 is not a tumor suppressor because it is either an essential gene, redundant gene and/or independent of the BRCA1/BRCA2 tumor suppressor pathway(s). ..
- Pinney S, Jaeckle Santos L, Han Y, Stoffers D, Simmons R. Exendin-4 increases histone acetylase activity and reverses epigenetic modifications that silence Pdx1 in the intrauterine growth retarded rat. Diabetologia. 2011;54:2606-14 pubmed publisher..Exendin-4 (Ex-4), a long-acting glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) analogue, given in the newborn period increases Pdx1 expression and prevents the development of diabetes in the IUGR rat...
- Smith J, Ndoye A, Geary K, Lisanti M, Igoucheva O, Daniel R. A role for the Werner syndrome protein in epigenetic inactivation of the pluripotency factor Oct4. Aging Cell. 2010;9:580-91 pubmed publisher..The presented results reveal a novel function of WRNp and demonstrate that WRNp controls a key step in pluripotent stem cell differentiation. ..
- Macaluso M, Cinti C, Russo G, Russo A, Giordano A. pRb2/p130-E2F4/5-HDAC1-SUV39H1-p300 and pRb2/p130-E2F4/5-HDAC1-SUV39H1-DNMT1 multimolecular complexes mediate the transcription of estrogen receptor-alpha in breast cancer. Oncogene. 2003;22:3511-7 pubmed
- Sepulveda A, Yao Y, Yan W, Park D, Kim J, Gooding W, et al. CpG methylation and reduced expression of O6-methylguanine DNA methyltransferase is associated with Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1836-44 pubmed publisher..MGMT promoter methylation is partially reversible after eradication of H pylori infection. These data indicate that DNA repair is disrupted during H pylori gastritis, increasing mutagenesis in H pylori-infected gastric mucosa. ..
- Tahara T, Yamamoto E, Madireddi P, Suzuki H, Maruyama R, Chung W, et al. Colorectal carcinomas with CpG island methylator phenotype 1 frequently contain mutations in chromatin regulators. Gastroenterology. 2014;146:530-38.e5 pubmed publisher..Aberrations in chromatin remodeling could contribute to the development of CIMP1 CRCs. A better understanding of the biological determinants of CRCs can be achieved when these tumors are categorized according to their epigenetic status. ..
- Reese K, Lin S, Verona R, Schultz R, Bartolomei M. Maintenance of paternal methylation and repression of the imprinted H19 gene requires MBD3. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e137 pubmed..Finally, MBD3-depleted preimplantation embryos have reduced cell numbers, suggesting a role for MBD3 in cell division. ..
- Wallecha A, Munster V, Correnti J, Chan T, van der Woude M. Dam- and OxyR-dependent phase variation of agn43: essential elements and evidence for a new role of DNA methylation. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:3338-47 pubmed..Deletion analyses of the regulatory region showed that a 101-nucleotide region of the agn43 regulatory region containing the promoter and this OxyR binding region was sufficient for Dam- and OxyR-dependent phase variation ..