Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on child in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications520 found, 100 shown here
- Aronson P, Reilly A, Paessler M, Kersun L. Burkitt lymphoma involving the clivus. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2008;30:320-1 pubmed publisher..Increased tumor burden is associated with complications such as tumor lysis syndrome, and recognition of unusual presentations is important for timely management. We report 3 patients with BL involving the clivus at diagnosis...
- Bailey L, Lange B, Rheingold S, Bunin N. Bone-marrow relapse in paediatric acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Lancet Oncol. 2008;9:873-83 pubmed publisher..Although better drugs are needed, introduction of new agents into clinical trials in paediatric disease has been difficult. Innovative trial designs and use of valid surrogate endpoints may expedite this process. ..
- Mandell D, Morales K, Xie M, Polsky D, Stahmer A, Marcus S. County-level variation in the prevalence of medicaid-enrolled children with autism spectrum disorders. J Autism Dev Disord. 2010;40:1241-6 pubmed publisher..The results suggest the substitution of education and Medicaid-reimbursed services. Our findings highlight the need for geographically targeted outreach to minority groups and clinicians to improve recognition of ASD. ..
- Brothers J, Gaynor J, Jacobs J, Caldarone C, Jegatheeswaran A, Jacobs M. The registry of anomalous aortic origin of the coronary artery of the Congenital Heart Surgeons' Society. Cardiol Young. 2010;20 Suppl 3:50-8 pubmed publisher..In this report, we describe the creation and design of the Registry of Anomalous Aortic Origin of the Coronary Artery. Data from the registry will be published at a later date...
- Fett N, Werth V. Update on morphea: part II. Outcome measures and treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;64:231-42; quiz 243-4 pubmed publisher..The most robust data in the treatment of morphea exists for methotrexate in combination with systemic steroids and ultraviolet A1. ..
- Monagle P, Chan A, Goldenberg N, Ichord R, Journeycake J, Nowak Gottl U, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in neonates and children: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis, 9th ed: American College of Chest Physicians Evidence-Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest. 2012;141:e737S-e801S pubmed publisher..Studies addressing appropriate drug target ranges and monitoring requirements are urgently required in addition to site- and clinical situation-specific thrombosis management strategies. ..
- Liu J, Lewis G, Evans L. Understanding aggressive behaviour across the lifespan. J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2013;20:156-68 pubmed publisher..Appreciation of the risk factors of aggressive behaviour, and, in particular, how they relate to age-specific manifestations, can aid nurses in better design and implementation of prevention and treatment programmes. ..
- Forrest C, Bevans K, Riley A, Crespo R, Louis T. Health and school outcomes during children's transition into adolescence. J Adolesc Health. 2013;52:186-94 pubmed publisher..As children enter adolescence, good health may buffer them from the potentially negative effects of school and pubertal transitions on academic success. ..
- Meltzer L, Walsh C, Peightal A. Comparison of actigraphy immobility rules with polysomnographic sleep onset latency in children and adolescents. Sleep Breath. 2015;19:1415-23 pubmed publisher..Future studies are needed with larger samples of children and adolescents to further validate actigraphic immobility as a proxy for sleep onset latency. ..
- Tooley M, Lynch D, Bernier F, Parboosingh J, Bhoj E, Zackai E, et al. Cerebro-costo-mandibular syndrome: Clinical, radiological, and genetic findings. Am J Med Genet A. 2016;170A:1115-26 pubmed publisher..These results confirm the specificity of SNRPB mutations in CCMS and provide further evidence for the role of spliceosomal proteins in craniofacial and thoracic development. ..
- Atz A, Zak V, Mahony L, Uzark K, D agincourt N, Goldberg D, et al. Longitudinal Outcomes of Patients With Single Ventricle After the Fontan Procedure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2735-2744 pubmed publisher..Future interventions might focus on preserving exercise capacity. (Relationship Between Functional Health Status and Ventricular Performance After Fontan-Pediatric Heart Network; NCT00132782). ..
- Smith A, Ianacone D, Ensink R, Melaku A, Casselbrant M, Isaacson G. Prevalence of hearing-loss among HAART-treated children in the Horn of Africa. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017;98:166-170 pubmed publisher..1% HIVU, OR: 3.7, 95% CI 1.7-8.4, p-value <0.001). Chronic OM, conductive and mixed hearing losses are significantly more common in HAART-treated HIV + children than in well, similarly-aged controls. Rates of SNHL are similar. ..
- Barakat M, Mithal A, Huang R, Mithal A, Sehgal A, Banerjee S, et al. Affordable Care Act and healthcare delivery: A comparison of California and Florida hospitals and emergency departments. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182346 pubmed publisher..There appears to be a shift in reimbursement burden from patients and hospitals to the government without a dramatic shift in patterns of ED or hospital utilization. ..
- Al Saleem T, Al Mondhiry H. Immunoproliferative small intestinal disease (IPSID): a model for mature B-cell neoplasms. Blood. 2005;105:2274-80 pubmed..IPSID lymphoma shares clinical, morphologic, and molecular features with MALT lymphoma, lymphoplasmacytic lymphoma, and plasma cell neoplasms...
- Dalmau J, Gleichman A, Hughes E, Rossi J, Peng X, Lai M, et al. Anti-NMDA-receptor encephalitis: case series and analysis of the effects of antibodies. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7:1091-8 pubmed publisher..We aimed to analyse the clinical and immunological features of patients with the disorder and examine the effects of antibodies against NMDA receptors in neuronal cultures...
- Mennella J, Finkbeiner S, Reed D. The proof is in the pudding: children prefer lower fat but higher sugar than do mothers. Int J Obes (Lond). 2012;36:1285-91 pubmed publisher..04). Irrespective of genotype, children prefer higher concentrations of sugar but lower concentrations of fat in puddings than do their mothers. Thus, reduced-fat foods may be better accepted by children than adults. ..
- Christiano A, Greenspan D, Hoffman G, Zhang X, Tamai Y, Lin A, et al. A missense mutation in type VII collagen in two affected siblings with recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Nat Genet. 1993;4:62-6 pubmed..The mutation resides in a highly conserved region of the C-terminus of type VII collagen, strongly suggesting that it is the cause of the disease in this family. ..
- Trope I, Lopez Villegas D, Cecil K, Lenkinski R. Exposure to lead appears to selectively alter metabolism of cortical gray matter. Pediatrics. 2001;107:1437-42 pubmed..MRS has the ability to monitor brain metabolism by detecting a number of neurochemicals among which is N-acetylaspartate, a metabolite shown to decrease in processes that involve neuronal loss...
- Davidson R. Clubfoot salvage: a review of the past decade's contributions. J Pediatr Orthop. 2003;23:410-8 pubmed
- Batzer F, Hurwitz J, Caplan A. Postmortem parenthood and the need for a protocol with posthumous sperm procurement. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:1263-9 pubmed..We have looked to U.S. and international sources for guidance in current practice and to gain insight into the formulation of future policies. ..
- Arkader A, Dormans J, Gaugler R, Davidson R. Spontaneous regression of solitary osteochondroma: reconsidering our approach. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007;460:253-7 pubmed..We believe the likelihood of spontaneous regression should be better understood by orthopaedic surgeons and taken into account in the decision process of whether to remove osteochondromas surgically...
- Palisano R, Hanna S, Rosenbaum P, Tieman B. Probability of walking, wheeled mobility, and assisted mobility in children and adolescents with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2010;52:66-71 pubmed publisher..The results provide evidence that age and environmental setting influence method of mobility of children/adolescents with CP. The method that is preferred in one setting may not be preferred in another setting or at another age. ..
- Fieldston E, Hall M, Sills M, Slonim A, Myers A, Cannon C, et al. Children's hospitals do not acutely respond to high occupancy. Pediatrics. 2010;125:974-81 pubmed publisher..Additional modeling techniques also revealed little response. We found a low rate of acute response to high occupancy. When there was a response, the magnitude was small. ..
- Ahmad S, Marsh E. Febrile status epilepticus: current state of clinical and basic research. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2010;17:150-4 pubmed publisher..Multiple insults are likely necessary for a child with febrile status epilepticus to develop epilepsy later in life. ..
- Shields C, Kaliki S, Shah S, Bianciotto C, Jabbour P, Shields J. Effect of intraarterial chemotherapy on retinoblastoma-induced retinal detachment. Retina. 2012;32:799-804 pubmed publisher..Eyes with retinoblastoma-induced total or partial retinal detachment showed complete resolution of detachment after IAC in 43% and 100%, respectively. ..
- Olson D, Lamb M, Lopez M, Paniagua Avila M, Zacarias A, Samayoa Reyes G, et al. Rapid Active Sampling Surveys as a Tool to Evaluate Factors Associated with Acute Gastroenteritis and Norovirus Infection among Children in Rural Guatemala. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:944-948 pubmed publisher..The cross-sectional RAS surveys were practical and cost-effective in identifying population-level risk factors for AGE and NoV, supporting their use as a tool to direct limited public health resources toward high-risk populations. ..
- Shore E, Ahn J, Jan de Beur S, Li M, Xu M, Gardner R, et al. Paternally inherited inactivating mutations of the GNAS1 gene in progressive osseous heteroplasia. N Engl J Med. 2002;346:99-106 pubmed
- Mueller Y, Bojczuk P, Halstead E, Kim A, Witek J, Altman J, et al. IL-15 enhances survival and function of HIV-specific CD8+ T cells. Blood. 2003;101:1024-9 pubmed..Thus, IL-15 potently enhances the survival and effector function of HIV-specific CD8(+) T cells and, therefore, may prove useful in augmenting the antiviral function of these cells. ..
- Leff S, Crick N, Angelucci J, Haye K, Jawad A, Grossman M, et al. Social cognition in context: validating a cartoon-based attributional measure for urban girls. Child Dev. 2006;77:1351-8 pubmed..This paper illustrates how a partnership-based research model can be used to design measurement tools sensitive to the ways in which developmental processes are influenced by an urban, low-income, ecological context. ..
- Sievert A, Jackson E, Gai X, Hakonarson H, Judkins A, Resnick A, et al. Duplication of 7q34 in pediatric low-grade astrocytomas detected by high-density single-nucleotide polymorphism-based genotype arrays results in a novel BRAF fusion gene. Brain Pathol. 2009;19:449-58 pubmed publisher..Further studies are required to determine the role of this fusion gene in downstream MAPK signaling and its role in development of pediatric low-grade astrocytomas. ..
- Mayer O. Management of thoracic insufficiency syndrome. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009;21:333-43 pubmed publisher..This review will describe the common approaches and report on the published outcomes of each approach...
- Dougherty M, Santi M, Brose M, Ma C, Resnick A, Sievert A, et al. Activating mutations in BRAF characterize a spectrum of pediatric low-grade gliomas. Neuro Oncol. 2010;12:621-30 pubmed publisher..BRAF mutations constitute a major genetic alteration in this histologic group of pediatric brain tumors and may serve as a molecular target for biologically based inhibitors. ..
- Strong C, Juon H, Ensminger M. Effect of Adolescent Cigarette Smoking on Adulthood Substance Use and Abuse: The Mediating Role of Educational Attainment. Subst Use Misuse. 2016;51:141-54 pubmed publisher..More focus needs to be put on high school dropout and development of interventions in community settings for African Americans to alter the pathway for drug progression for adolescents who use cigarettes regularly. ..
- Zhang R, Undurraga E, Zeng W, Reyes García V, Tanner S, Leonard W, et al. Catch-up growth and growth deficits: Nine-year annual panel child growth for native Amazonians in Bolivia. Ann Hum Biol. 2016;43:304-15 pubmed publisher..Modest year-to-year movement was found between height categories. The prevalence of growth faltering among the Tsimane' has declined, but hurdles still substantially lock children into height categories. ..
- Malone R, Delaney M, Luebbert J, Cater J, Campbell M. A double-blind placebo-controlled study of lithium in hospitalized aggressive children and adolescents with conduct disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000;57:649-54 pubmed..Lithium is a safe and effective short-term treatment for aggression in inpatients with conduct disorder, although its use is associated with adverse effects. ..
- Lorch S, Zhang X, Rosenbaum P, Evan Shoshan O, Silber J. Equivalent lengths of stay of pediatric patients hospitalized in rural and nonrural hospitals. Pediatrics. 2004;114:e400-8 pubmed..Additional research is needed to apply these results to other regions or states with different geographic distributions of hospitals and children, in order to determine the overall impact on the regionalization of pediatric care. ..
- Williams M, Powers M, Yun Y, Foa E. Minority participation in randomized controlled trials for obsessive-compulsive disorder. J Anxiety Disord. 2010;24:171-7 pubmed..Therefore, it is not known if empirically validated treatments are effective for these groups. Recommendations for improving recruitment of minorities for future studies are discussed. ..
- An Haack K, Narayan S, Li H, Warnock A, Tan L, Bennett M. Screening for calcium channel modulators in CLN3 siRNA knock down SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells reveals a significant decrease of intracellular calcium levels by selected L-type calcium channel blockers. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2011;1810:186-91 pubmed publisher
- Shah S, Hall M, Newland J, Brogan T, Farris R, Williams D, et al. Comparative effectiveness of pleural drainage procedures for the treatment of complicated pneumonia in childhood. J Hosp Med. 2011;6:256-63 pubmed publisher..Outcomes were similar in patients undergoing initial chest tube placement with or without fibrinolysis. Those undergoing VATS received fewer additional drainage procedures but had no differences in LOS compared with other strategies. ..
- Shields C, Kaliki S, Al Dahmash S, Rojanaporn D, Shukla S, Reilly B, et al. Retinal vasoproliferative tumors: comparative clinical features of primary vs secondary tumors in 334 cases. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013;131:328-34 pubmed publisher..To compare the clinical features of primary vs secondary retinal vasoproliferative tumors (VPTs)...
- Luck R, Tredway T, Gerard J, Eyal D, Krug L, Flood R. Comparison of cosmetic outcomes of absorbable versus nonabsorbable sutures in pediatric facial lacerations. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013;29:691-5 pubmed publisher..01). Caregiver VAS scores showed NI of FAC, which were also preferred by the caregivers. However, NI for FAC could not be demonstrated by blinded physicians with respect to cosmetic outcomes. ..
- Gerber J, Kronman M, Ross R, Hersh A, Newland J, Metjian T, et al. Identifying targets for antimicrobial stewardship in children's hospitals. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013;34:1252-8 pubmed publisher..Identifying conditions with both frequent and variable antimicrobial use informs the prioritization of high-impact targets for future antimicrobial stewardship interventions. ..
- Karakoula K, Jacques T, Phipps K, Harkness W, Thompson D, Harding B, et al. Epigenetic genome-wide analysis identifies BEX1 as a candidate tumour suppressor gene in paediatric intracranial ependymoma. Cancer Lett. 2014;346:34-44 pubmed publisher..Epigenetic inactivation of BEX1 supports its role as a candidate tumour suppressor gene in intracranial ependymoma, and a potential target for novel therapies for ependymoma in children. ..
- Curran W, Littman P, Raney R. Interstitial radiation therapy in the treatment of childhood soft-tissue sarcomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1988;14:169-74 pubmed..IRT can be an effective method of delivering high dose irradiation in childhood sarcomas while reducing the deleterious effects in adjacent normal tissues...
- Damore E, Kozin S, Thoder J, Porter S. The recurrence of deformity after surgical centralization for radial clubhand. J Hand Surg Am. 2000;25:745-51 pubmed
- Gold L, Nazarian L, Johar A, Rao V. Characterization of maxillofacial soft tissue vascular anomalies by ultrasound and color Doppler imaging: an adjuvant to computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2003;61:19-31 pubmed..4) Ultrasound/color Doppler is an important adjuvant to CT and MRI in the diagnosis of vascular or suspected vascular anomalies. ..
- Mongelluzzo J, Mohamad Z, Ten Have T, Shah S. Corticosteroids and mortality in children with bacterial meningitis. JAMA. 2008;299:2048-55 pubmed publisher..In adults, adjuvant corticosteroids significantly reduce mortality associated with bacterial meningitis; however, in children, studies reveal conflicting results...
- Balasubramaniam R, Klasser G, Delcanho R. Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias: a review and implications for dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008;139:1616-24 pubmed..This will avoid the pitfall of administering unnecessary and inappropriate traditional dental treatments in an attempt to alleviate the neurovascular pain. ..
- Kersun L, Reilly A, Coffin S, Boyer J, Luning Prak E, McDonald K, et al. A prospective study of chemotherapy immunologic effects and predictors of humoral influenza vaccine responses in a pediatric oncology cohort. Influenza Other Respir Viruses. 2013;7:1158-67 pubmed publisher..This study identified biomarkers that could be used to individualize vaccine approaches. Immunologic predictors might have a role in targeting resources, as B-cell counts predicted of vaccine responses among the patients with ALL. ..
- Teachey D, Hunger S. Predicting relapse risk in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:606-20 pubmed publisher..This review will describe the clinical, biological, and response-based features known to predict relapse risk in childhood ALL, including those currently used and those likely to be used in the near future to risk-stratify therapy. ..
- Mercer Rosa L, Parnell A, Forfia P, Yang W, Goldmuntz E, Kawut S. Tricuspid annular plane systolic excursion in the assessment of right ventricular function in children and adolescents after repair of tetralogy of Fallot. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26:1322-9 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these results, TAPSE is not representative of global RV performance in patients with TOF. ..
- Ware R, Davis B, Schultz W, Brown R, Aygun B, Sarnaik S, et al. Hydroxycarbamide versus chronic transfusion for maintenance of transcranial doppler flow velocities in children with sickle cell anaemia-TCD With Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (TWiTCH): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet. 2016;387:661-70 pubmed publisher..National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health. ..
- Oegema R, Baillat D, Schot R, van Unen L, Brooks A, Kia S, et al. Human mutations in integrator complex subunits link transcriptome integrity to brain development. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006809 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our results confirm the essential role of Integrator to transcriptome integrity and point to the requirement of the Integrator complex in human brain development. ..
- Kozin S, Bishop A. Atypical Mycobacterium infections of the upper extremity. J Hand Surg Am. 1994;19:480-7 pubmed..In the 15 patients with competent immune systems, resolution occurred in 13. However, in the immunocompromised patient population, only 4 of the 10 had resolution of deep infection at time of the follow-up evaluation. ..
- Megonigal M, Rappaport E, Jones D, Kim C, Nowell P, Lange B, et al. Panhandle PCR strategy to amplify MLL genomic breakpoints in treatment-related leukemias. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11583-8 pubmed..Analysis of additional pediatric cases will determine whether breakpoint distribution deviates from the predilection for 3' distribution in the bcr that has been found in adult cases. ..
- Eisen M, Lustig L. Otolaryngologic aspects of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, 1803-1806. Laryngoscope. 2002;112:1065-71 pubmed..The custom of Clatsop Indian head flattening is also described. These descriptions also aim to illustrate the state of otolaryngology during the early 19th century in America...
- Storm C, Seykora J. Cutaneous adnexal neoplasms. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;118 Suppl:S33-49 pubmed..We also enumerate criteria the practitioner can use to distinguish between tumors likely to behave in a benign rather than a malignant manner. ..
- Karabucak B, Li D, Lim J, Iqbal M. Vital pulp therapy with mineral trioxide aggregate. Dent Traumatol. 2005;21:240-3 pubmed..Follow-up examinations revealed that the treatment was successful in preserving pulpal vitality and continued development of the tooth. ..
- Berkowitz R, Fujioka K, Daniels S, Hoppin A, Owen S, Perry A, et al. Effects of sibutramine treatment in obese adolescents: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2006;145:81-90 pubmed..Sibutramine added to a behavior therapy program reduced BMI and body weight more than placebo and improved the profile of several metabolic risk factors in obese adolescents. ..
- Germiller J, Monin D, Sparano A, Tom L. Intracranial complications of sinusitis in children and adolescents and their outcomes. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;132:969-76 pubmed..Intracranial complications of sinusitis are challenging, but prognosis can be favorable in children and adolescents by using aggressive medical and surgical management. ..
- Cideciyan A, Aleman T, Jacobson S, Khanna H, Sumaroka A, Aguirre G, et al. Centrosomal-ciliary gene CEP290/NPHP6 mutations result in blindness with unexpected sparing of photoreceptors and visual brain: implications for therapy of Leber congenital amaurosis. Hum Mutat. 2007;28:1074-83 pubmed
- Lange B, Smith F, Feusner J, Barnard D, Dinndorf P, Feig S, et al. Outcomes in CCG-2961, a children's oncology group phase 3 trial for untreated pediatric acute myeloid leukemia: a report from the children's oncology group. Blood. 2008;111:1044-53 pubmed..No new agent improved outcomes; experience may have contributed to better results time. ..
- Kim J, Lautenbach E, Chu J, Goyal M, Nachamkin I, McGowan K, et al. Fluoroquinolone resistance in pediatric bloodstream infections because of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella species. Am J Infect Control. 2008;36:70-3 pubmed publisher..28-83.8). A case control study revealed no significant risk factors (including prior antibiotic use) for FQ resistance among ESBL E coli and Klebsiella species (ESBL-EK)...
- Caboot J, Allen J. Pulmonary complications of sickle cell disease in children. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2008;20:279-87 pubmed publisher..Further understanding of the interrelationships between these disorders will lead to improved therapies. ..
- Pena A, Cahill A, Gonzalez L, Baskin K, Kim H, Towbin R. Botulinum toxin A injection of salivary glands in children with drooling and chronic aspiration. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2009;20:368-73 pubmed publisher..Salivary gland BTX-A injection for salivary control shows promising results in decreasing saliva production and frequency of respiratory symptoms in children with drooling and chronic aspiration. ..
- Elia J, Arcos Burgos M, Bolton K, Ambrosini P, Berrettini W, Muenke M. ADHD latent class clusters: DSM-IV subtypes and comorbidity. Psychiatry Res. 2009;170:192-8 pubmed publisher..DSM-IV comorbid mood and anxiety disorders also do not appear to increase cluster heterogeneity; however, longitudinal studies that cover period of risk are needed to support this finding. ..
- Bianciotto C, Shields C, Pirondini C, Mashayekhi A, Furuta M, Shields J. Proliferative radiation retinopathy after plaque radiotherapy for uveal melanoma. Ophthalmology. 2010;117:1005-12 pubmed publisher..The main factors for development of PRR included young age, preexistent diabetes mellitus, and shorter tumor distance to the optic disc. ..
- Smith S, Kirkham F, Deveber G, Millman G, Dirks P, Wirrell E, et al. Outcome following decompressive craniectomy for malignant middle cerebral artery infarction in children. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2011;53:29-33 pubmed publisher..Decompressive craniectomy can lead to a moderately good outcome for children with MMCAI and should be considered, even with symptomatic stroke and deep coma. Monitoring of intracranial pressure may delay life-saving treatment. ..
- Sullivan L, Yankovich T, Le P, Martinez D, Santi M, Biegel J, et al. Claudin-6 is a nonspecific marker for malignant rhabdoid and other pediatric tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2012;36:73-80 pubmed publisher..Although CLDN6 is expressed in both AT/RTs and MRTs, it is not a specific biomarker as it is expressed in a variety of other pediatric CNS and soft tissue tumors. ..
- Franklin C, Weiss J. Stopping sports injuries in kids: an overview of the last year in publications. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2012;24:64-7 pubmed publisher..This injury prevalence has led to significant interest in prevention strategies. In this review, we examine the last year of publications related to sports injury prevention in the pediatric population...
- Woods A, GÃ¶ksun T, Chatterjee A, Zelonis S, Mehta A, Smith S. The development of organized visual search. Acta Psychol (Amst). 2013;143:191-9 pubmed publisher..In addition, our findings provide preliminary evidence that, like other visuospatial tasks, exposure to reading may influence children's spatial orientation to the visual environment when performing a visual search. ..
- Tuz K, Bachmann Gagescu R, O Day D, Hua K, Isabella C, Phelps I, et al. Mutations in CSPP1 cause primary cilia abnormalities and Joubert syndrome with or without Jeune asphyxiating thoracic dystrophy. Am J Hum Genet. 2014;94:62-72 pubmed publisher..In summary, CSPP1 mutations are a major cause of the Joubert-Jeune phenotype in humans; however, the mechanism by which these mutations lead to both JBTS and JATD remains unknown. ..
- El Mallawany N, Kamiyango W, Slone J, Villiera J, Kovarik C, Cox C, et al. Clinical Factors Associated with Long-Term Complete Remission versus Poor Response to Chemotherapy in HIV-Infected Children and Adolescents with Kaposi Sarcoma Receiving Bleomycin and Vincristine: A Retrospective Observational Study. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0153335 pubmed publisher..Long-term complete remission is achievable in pediatric KS, however outcomes vary according to clinical presentation. Based on clinical heterogeneity, treatment according to risk-stratification is necessary to improve overall outcomes. ..
- Gidding S, Bacha F, Bjornstad P, Levitt Katz L, Levitsky L, Lynch J, et al. Cardiac Biomarkers in Youth with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Results from the TODAY Study. J Pediatr. 2018;192:86-92.e5 pubmed publisher..Elevated serum concentrations of cardiac biomarkers were common in youth with type 2 diabetes, but their clinical significance is unclear and will require further long-term study. ClinicalTrials.govNCT00081328. ..
- Pastor Soler N, Rafi M, Hoffman J, Hu D, Wenger D. Metachromatic leukodystrophy in the Navajo Indian population: a splice site mutation in intron 4 of the arylsulfatase A gene. Hum Mutat. 1994;4:199-207 pubmed..This method could be used for carrier and patient identification in this population...
- Citron M, Godmilow L, Ganguly T, Ganguly A. High throughput mutation screening of the factor VIII gene (F8C) in hemophilia A: 37 novel mutations and genotype-phenotype correlation. Hum Mutat. 2002;20:267-74 pubmed..In some cases segregation analysis of the mutation with disease condition was performed when other family members were available. ..
- Pinto Martin J, Whitaker A, Feldman J, Cnaan A, Zhao H, Bloch J, et al. Special education services and school performance in a regional cohort of low-birthweight infants at age nine. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2004;18:120-9 pubmed..Maths achievement declined with birthweight regardless of educational placement. The medical and social risk factors that accompany low birthweight and may account for these findings, require further study. ..
- Leonard M, Stablein D, Ho M, Jabs K, Feldman H. Racial and center differences in hemodialysis adequacy in children treated at pediatric centers: a North American Pediatric Renal Transplant Cooperative Study (NAPRTCS) report. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004;15:2923-32 pubmed..Racial and gender disparities in hemodialysis dose existed among children at specialized academic pediatric centers and a substantial proportion received inadequate hemodialysis. ..
- Liacouras C, Spergel J, Ruchelli E, Verma R, Mascarenhas M, Semeao E, et al. Eosinophilic esophagitis: a 10-year experience in 381 children. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005;3:1198-206 pubmed..Medications such as corticosteroids are effective; however, upon withdrawal, EoE recurs. The removal of dietary antigens significantly improved clinical symptoms and esophageal histology in 98% of patients. ..
- Jadico S, Young D, Huebner A, Edmond J, Pollock A, McDonald McGinn D, et al. Ocular abnormalities in Apert syndrome: genotype/phenotype correlations with fibroblast growth factor receptor type 2 mutations. J AAPOS. 2006;10:521-7 pubmed..They also are more likely to develop astigmatic refractive errors and tearing secondary to nasolacrimal system anomalies. ..
- Townsend R. Analyzing the radial pulse waveform: narrowing the gap between blood pressure and outcomes. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2007;16:261-6 pubmed
- Brothers J, McBride M, Seliem M, Marino B, Tomlinson R, Pampaloni M, et al. Evaluation of myocardial ischemia after surgical repair of anomalous aortic origin of a coronary artery in a series of pediatric patients. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50:2078-82 pubmed..The implication of these results on indication for surgery and subsequent sudden death risk is unknown. Serial EST, SE, and MPS are essential in evaluating ongoing ischemia risk after AAOCA repair. ..
- Zeger M, Zinn A, Lahlou N, Ramos P, Kowal K, Samango Sprouse C, et al. Effect of ascertainment and genetic features on the phenotype of Klinefelter syndrome. J Pediatr. 2008;152:716-22 pubmed publisher..To describe the Klinefelter Syndrome (KS) phenotype during childhood in a large cohort...
- Brittle E, Wang F, Lubinski J, Bunte R, Friedman H. A replication-competent, neuronal spread-defective, live attenuated herpes simplex virus type 1 vaccine. J Virol. 2008;82:8431-41 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the HSV-1 gEnull strain is an excellent candidate for further vaccine development. ..
- Beslow L, Ichord R, Zimmerman R, Smith S, Licht D. Role of diffusion MRI in diagnosis of spinal cord infarction in children. Neuropediatrics. 2008;39:188-91 pubmed publisher..We describe four children with ASA infarction after minor trauma. DWI was performed in all cases and confirmed the clinical diagnosis. ..
- Glat P, Kubat W, Hsu J, Copty T, Burkey B, Davis W, et al. Randomized clinical study of SilvaSorb gel in comparison to Silvadene silver sulfadiazine cream in the management of partial-thickness burns. J Burn Care Res. 2009;30:262-7 pubmed publisher..The reduction of pain and improved overall patient satisfaction with the use of SilvaSorb Gel compared with Silvadene indicates an important role for SilvaSorb Gel in treatment of partial-thickness burns in a pediatric population. ..
- Christie K, Boucher N, Chung C. Effects of bonded rapid palatal expansion on the transverse dimensions of the maxilla: a cone-beam computed tomography study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;137:S79-85 pubmed publisher..The midpalatal suture opened in a parallel fashion. Moreover, significant buccal tipping occurred on both maxillary first molars. ..
- Cahill A, Nijs E. Pediatric vascular malformations: pathophysiology, diagnosis, and the role of interventional radiology. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2011;34:691-704 pubmed publisher..For the purpose of this review, we concentrate solely on vascular malformations: the clinical features, genetics, diagnosis, and current treatment options. ..