Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on brain in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications554 found, 100 shown here
- Chen C, Cho D, Wang Q, Lai F, Carter K, Nishikura K. A third member of the RNA-specific adenosine deaminase gene family, ADAR3, contains both single- and double-stranded RNA binding domains. RNA. 2000;6:755-67 pubmed..ADAR3 inhibited in vitro the activities of RNA editing enzymes of the ADAR gene family, raising the possibility of a regulatory role in RNA editing. ..
- Khalili K, Del Valle L, Muralidharan V, Gault W, Darbinian N, Otte J, et al. Puralpha is essential for postnatal brain development and developmentally coupled cellular proliferation as revealed by genetic inactivation in the mouse. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:6857-75 pubmed..Overall results are consistent with a role for Puralpha in developmentally timed DNA replication in specific cell types and also point to a newly emerging role in compartmentalized RNA transport and translation in neuronal dendrites. ..
- Ahima R, Antwi D. Brain regulation of appetite and satiety. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2008;37:811-23 pubmed publisher..The pathogenesis and treatment of obesity and abnormalities of glucose and lipid metabolism are discussed. ..
- Asadi Pooya A. Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures are predominantly seen in women: potential neurobiological reasons. Neurol Sci. 2016;37:851-5 pubmed publisher..These neurobiological, social and vulnerability differences may explain why PNES is predominantly seen in female gender. ..
- Kovachich G, Aronson C, Brunswick D, Frazer A. Quantitative autoradiography of serotonin uptake sites in rat brain using [3H]cyanoimipramine. Brain Res. 1988;454:78-88 pubmed..The properties of binding of [3H]cyanoimipramine make it an ideal ligand for the quantitative autoradiography of serotonin uptake sites...
- Damjanov I, Shan J, Wang R, Damjanov A, DeLoia J. Molecular cloning and characterization of murine cyclin E. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1994;201:994-1000 pubmed..In adult tissues, cycE mRNA is detectable in the spleen and to a lesser extent in the testis and brain. These data show that cycE is developmentally regulated and unevenly expressed in fetal and adult mouse tissues. ..
- Woodruff Pak D, Ewers M, Shiotani T, Watabe S, Tanaka M, Wenk G. Nefiracetam and physostigmine: separate and combined effects on learning in older rabbits. Neurobiol Aging. 2004;25:807-16 pubmed
- Wu W, Edlow B, Elliot M, Wang J, Detre J. Physiological modulations in arterial spin labeling perfusion magnetic resonance imaging. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2009;28:703-9 pubmed publisher..CASL with a labeling duration at a multiple of an R-R interval can be used to minimize signal fluctuation originating from cardiac pulsation. ..
- Clark C, Schneider J, Bedell B, Beach T, Bilker W, Mintun M, et al. Use of florbetapir-PET for imaging beta-amyloid pathology. JAMA. 2011;305:275-83 pubmed publisher..The ability to identify and quantify brain ?-amyloid could increase the accuracy of a clinical diagnosis of Alzheimer disease...
- Chein J, Albert D, O Brien L, Uckert K, Steinberg L. Peers increase adolescent risk taking by enhancing activity in the brain's reward circuitry. Dev Sci. 2011;14:F1-10 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that the presence of peers increases adolescent risk taking by heightening sensitivity to the potential reward value of risky decisions. ..
- Hallowell S, Spatz D. The relationship of brain development and breastfeeding in the late-preterm infant. J Pediatr Nurs. 2012;27:154-62 pubmed publisher..The aim of this article is to provide a review of the literature that establishes the relationship between brain development and feeding in the late-preterm infant. ..
- Choi S, Schneider J, Bennett D, Beach T, Bedell B, Zehntner S, et al. Correlation of amyloid PET ligand florbetapir F 18 binding with A? aggregation and neuritic plaque deposition in postmortem brain tissue. Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord. 2012;26:8-16 pubmed publisher..This study used human autopsy brain tissue to evaluate the correlation between in vitro florbetapir F 18 binding and A? density measured by established neuropathologic methods...
- Kulak J, Schneider J. Differences in alpha7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor binding in motor symptomatic and asymptomatic MPTP-treated monkeys. Brain Res. 2004;999:193-202 pubmed
- Yudkoff M, Daikhin Y, Melø T, Nissim I, Sonnewald U, Nissim I. The ketogenic diet and brain metabolism of amino acids: relationship to the anticonvulsant effect. Annu Rev Nutr. 2007;27:415-30 pubmed..The ketogenic diet also may facilitate mechanisms by which the brain exports to blood compounds such as glutamine and alanine, in the process favoring the removal of glutamate carbon and nitrogen. ..
- Stiefel M, Udoetuk J, Spiotta A, Gracias V, Goldberg A, Maloney Wilensky E, et al. Conventional neurocritical care and cerebral oxygenation after traumatic brain injury. J Neurosurg. 2006;105:568-75 pubmed..This finding may help explain why secondary neuronal injury occurs in some patients with adequate CPP and suggests that the definition of adequate brain resuscitation after TBI may need to be reconsidered. ..
- Shindler K, Kenyon L, Dutt M, Hingley S, Das Sarma J. Experimental optic neuritis induced by a demyelinating strain of mouse hepatitis virus. J Virol. 2008;82:8882-6 pubmed publisher..In contrast, MHV-2, a nondemyelinating MHV strain, does not induce ON. Results reveal a reproducible virus-induced ON model important for the evaluation of novel therapies...
- Johnson V, Stewart W, Graham D, Stewart J, Praestgaard A, Smith D. A neprilysin polymorphism and amyloid-beta plaques after traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26:1197-202 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings provide a potential genetic screening test for individuals at high risk of TBI, such as participants in contact sports and military personnel. ..
- Chen R, Pawlak M, Flynn T, Krejza J, Herskovits E, Melhem E. Brain morphometry and intelligence quotient measurements in children with sickle cell disease. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2009;30:509-17 pubmed publisher..This finding suggests that some variance in intellectual ability in children with sickle cell disease is accounted for by regional variability of gray matter volume, which is independent of neuroradiological evidence of infarct. ..
- Armstead W, Kiessling J, Bdeir K, Kofke W, Vavilala M. Adrenomedullin prevents sex-dependent impairment of autoregulation during hypotension after piglet brain injury through inhibition of ERK MAPK upregulation. J Neurotrauma. 2010;27:391-402 pubmed publisher..ADM prevented reductions in autoregulation during hypotension and FPI more in males than females. These data indicate that ADM prevented loss of cerebral autoregulation after FPI in a sex-dependent and ERK MAPK-dependent manner. ..
- Ho N, Balu D, HILARIO M, Blendy J, Lucki I. Depressive phenotypes evoked by experimental diabetes are reversed by insulin. Physiol Behav. 2012;105:702-8 pubmed publisher..Changes in reward-related behaviors and hippocampal cell proliferation may be useful markers to identify therapeutic interventions for comorbid diabetes and depression. ..
- Parente M, Rozen R, Cearley C, Wolfe J. Dysregulation of gene expression in a lysosomal storage disease varies between brain regions implicating unexpected mechanisms of neuropathology. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e32419 pubmed publisher..In addition, the variation in gene dysregulation between brain regions indicates that different neuropathologic mechanisms may predominate within different regions of a diseased brain caused by a single gene mutation. ..
- Wollebo H, Cotto B, Adiga R, Langford D, White M. Expression of Signaling Molecules in Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy. Curr HIV Res. 2016;14:47-53 pubmed..The involvement of TNF-Î±/NF-ÎºB/NFAT4 signaling in JCV regulation that we reported from experiments in cultured human glial cells may be clinically relevant in PML. ..
- Steplewski A, Haas S, Amini S, Khalili K. Regulation of mouse myelin basic protein gene transcription by a sequence-specific single-stranded DNA-binding protein in vitro. Gene. 1995;154:215-8 pubmed..Results from the band-shift assays indicated that the bacterially produced MEF-2 recognizes specific nt in the MB1 motif, and its binding to these nt reduces the overall transcriptional activity of Mbp in a cell-free extract. ..
- Bhagwat S, Vijayasarathy C, Raza H, Mullick J, Avadhani N. Preferential effects of nicotine and 4-(N-methyl-N-nitrosamine)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone on mitochondrial glutathione S-transferase A4-4 induction and increased oxidative stress in the rat brain. Biochem Pharmacol. 1998;56:831-9 pubmed
- Watson D, Wolfe J. Lentiviral vectors for gene transfer to the central nervous system. Applications in lysosomal storage disease animal models. Methods Mol Med. 2003;76:383-403 pubmed
- Korutla L, Neustadter J, Fournier K, Mackler S. NAC1, a POZ/BTB protein present in the adult mammalian brain, triggers apoptosis after adenovirus-mediated overexpression in PC-12 cells. Neurosci Res. 2003;46:33-9 pubmed..These findings raise the possibility that aberrantly regulated NAC1 expression in the mammalian brain may contribute to programmed cell death. ..
- Meulener M, Graves C, Sampathu D, Armstrong Gold C, Bonini N, Giasson B. DJ-1 is present in a large molecular complex in human brain tissue and interacts with alpha-synuclein. J Neurochem. 2005;93:1524-32 pubmed..Furthermore, our results provide further evidence for the interplay between neurodegenerative disease-associated proteins. ..
- Louboutin J, Agrawal L, Reyes B, van Bockstaele E, Strayer D. Protecting neurons from HIV-1 gp120-induced oxidant stress using both localized intracerebral and generalized intraventricular administration of antioxidant enzymes delivered by SV40-derived vectors. Gene Ther. 2007;14:1650-61 pubmed..These findings suggest the potential utility of both localized and widespread gene delivery in treating neuroAIDS and other CNS diseases characterized by excessive oxidative stress. ..
- Bian H, van Swieten J, Leight S, Massimo L, Wood E, Forman M, et al. CSF biomarkers in frontotemporal lobar degeneration with known pathology. Neurology. 2008;70:1827-35 pubmed publisher..The ratio of CSF tau/A beta(42) is a sensitive and specific biomarker at discriminating frontotemporal lobar degeneration from Alzheimer disease in patients with known pathology. ..
- Liang G, Ward C, Peng J, Zhao Y, Huang B, Wei H. Isoflurane causes greater neurodegeneration than an equivalent exposure of sevoflurane in the developing brain of neonatal mice. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:1325-34 pubmed publisher..At equipotent exposures, isoflurane has a greater potency than sevoflurane to cause neurodegeneration in the developing brains of neonatal mice. ..
- Jain V, Langham M, Floyd T, Jain G, Magland J, Wehrli F. Rapid magnetic resonance measurement of global cerebral metabolic rate of oxygen consumption in humans during rest and hypercapnia. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2011;31:1504-12 pubmed publisher..44, P=0.052). A CVR value of 6.1%±1.6%/mm?Hg was determined using a linear-fit model. Additionally, an average undershoot of 6.7%±4% and 17.1%±7% was observed in S(v)O(2) and tCBF upon recovery from hypercapnia in six subjects...
- Xu K, DiAngelo J, Hughes M, Hogenesch J, Sehgal A. The circadian clock interacts with metabolic physiology to influence reproductive fitness. Cell Metab. 2011;13:639-54 pubmed publisher..Flies maintained on this paradigm produce fewer eggs than those restricted to food at the normal time. These data suggest that desynchrony of endogenous rhythms, caused by aberrant feeding patterns, affects reproductive fitness. ..
- Walton R. Postnatal neurogenesis: of mice, men, and macaques. Vet Pathol. 2012;49:155-65 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the current understanding of adult neurogenesis, which is conserved across many vertebrate species, underscoring the value of animal models in past and present studies of human neurogenesis and neurogenic disease. ..
- Saby J, Marshall P. The utility of EEG band power analysis in the study of infancy and early childhood. Dev Neuropsychol. 2012;37:253-73 pubmed publisher..These examples include recent work on the infant mu rhythm and action processing, frontal alpha asymmetry and approach-withdrawal tendencies, and EEG power measures in the study of early psychosocial adversity. ..
- Schutsky K, Curtis D, Bongiorno E, Barkhouse D, Kean R, Dietzschold B, et al. Intramuscular inoculation of mice with the live-attenuated recombinant rabies virus TriGAS results in a transient infection of the draining lymph nodes and a robust, long-lasting protective immune response against rabies. J Virol. 2013;87:1834-41 pubmed publisher..Our results support the superior efficacy and safety of TriGAS and advocate for its utility as a vaccine...
- Zhou F, Xu R, Dowd E, Zang Y, Gong H, Wang Z. Alterations in regional functional coherence within the sensory-motor network in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Neurosci Lett. 2014;558:192-6 pubmed publisher..These ALS-related SMN regional coherence alterations suggest using regional coherence as a potential marker for studying ALS and its progression. ..
- Radke S, Seidel E, Eickhoff S, Gur R, Schneider F, Habel U, et al. When opportunity meets motivation: Neural engagement during social approach is linked to high approach motivation. Neuroimage. 2016;127:267-276 pubmed publisher..This interplay between motivational preferences and motivational contexts might underlie the rewarding experience during social interactions. ..
- von Reyn C, Nern A, Williamson W, Breads P, Wu M, Namiki S, et al. Feature Integration Drives Probabilistic Behavior in the Drosophila Escape Response. Neuron. 2017;94:1190-1204.e6 pubmed publisher..video abstract. ..
- Singh H, Li M, Hall L, Chen S, Sukur S, Lu R, et al. MaxiK channel interactome reveals its interaction with GABA transporter 3 and heat shock protein 60 in the mammalian brain. Neuroscience. 2016;317:76-107 pubmed publisher..The interaction of MaxiK channel with GAT3 opens the possibility of a role of MaxiK channel in GABA homeostasis and signaling. ..
- Casal M, Wolfe J. Variant clinical course of mucopolysaccharidosis type VII in two groups of mice carrying the same mutation. Lab Invest. 1998;78:1575-81 pubmed..This study compares clinical findings, fertility, longevity, and gross and microscopic findings in the original strain with those in the F2 generation of the interbred strain. ..
- Uryu K, Laurer H, McIntosh T, Pratico D, Martinez D, Leight S, et al. Repetitive mild brain trauma accelerates Abeta deposition, lipid peroxidation, and cognitive impairment in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer amyloidosis. J Neurosci. 2002;22:446-54 pubmed
- Chennathukuzhi V, Morales C, El Alfy M, Hecht N. The kinesin KIF17b and RNA-binding protein TB-RBP transport specific cAMP-responsive element modulator-regulated mRNAs in male germ cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:15566-71 pubmed
- Hahn C, Wang H, Cho D, Talbot K, Gur R, Berrettini W, et al. Altered neuregulin 1-erbB4 signaling contributes to NMDA receptor hypofunction in schizophrenia. Nat Med. 2006;12:824-8 pubmed..Therefore, these findings suggest that enhanced NRG1 signaling may contribute to NMDA hypofunction in schizophrenia. ..
- Jacobs D, Galetta S. Neuro-ophthalmology for neuroradiologists. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2007;28:3-8 pubmed..This review will focus on those common neuro-ophthalmologic problems that have exquisite localizing value on neuro-imaging. ..
- O Leary O, Bechtholt A, Crowley J, Hill T, Page M, Lucki I. Depletion of serotonin and catecholamines block the acute behavioral response to different classes of antidepressant drugs in the mouse tail suspension test. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2007;192:357-71 pubmed..In contrast, disruption of the behavioral effects of NRI and SSRI antidepressants required disruption of both catecholamine synthesis and vesicular storage and release mechanisms. ..
- Chen Plotkin A, Yuan W, Anderson C, McCarty Wood E, Hurtig H, Clark C, et al. Corticobasal syndrome and primary progressive aphasia as manifestations of LRRK2 gene mutations. Neurology. 2008;70:521-7 pubmed..The clinical presentation of LRRK2-associated neurodegenerative disease may be more heterogeneous than previously assumed. ..
- Hao H, Liu H, Gonye G, Schwaber J. A fast carrier chromatin immunoprecipitation method applicable to microdissected tissue samples. J Neurosci Methods. 2008;172:38-42 pubmed publisher..This method will be broadly applicable to individual brain nucleus and biopsy/surgical samples. ..
- Burke J, Zaghloul K, Jacobs J, Williams R, Sperling M, Sharan A, et al. Synchronous and asynchronous theta and gamma activity during episodic memory formation. J Neurosci. 2013;33:292-304 pubmed publisher..We show that these two kinds of spectral modulations have distinct spatiotemporal profiles during memory encoding. ..
- Berman J, Lanza M, Blaskey L, Edgar J, Roberts T. High angular resolution diffusion imaging probabilistic tractography of the auditory radiation. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2013;34:1573-8 pubmed publisher..HARDI can discriminate the complex white matter pathways at the junction of the auditory radiation and the ILF. HARDI fiber tracking can reliably delineate the auditory radiation. ..
- Joshi Y, Chu J, Pratico D. Knockout of 5-lipoxygenase prevents dexamethasone-induced tau pathology in 3xTg mice. Aging Cell. 2013;12:706-11 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlight the functional role that 5LO plays in stress-induced AD tau pathology and support the hypothesis that pharmacologic inhibition of this enzyme could be a useful tool for individuals with this risk factor. ..
- Weber M, Detre J, Thompson Schill S, Avants B. Reproducibility of functional network metrics and network structure: a comparison of task-related BOLD, resting ASL with BOLD contrast, and resting cerebral blood flow. Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2013;13:627-40 pubmed publisher..Implications for the practice of network analysis are discussed. ..
- Cavanaugh D, Geratowski J, Wooltorton J, Spaethling J, Hector C, Zheng X, et al. Identification of a circadian output circuit for rest:activity rhythms in Drosophila. Cell. 2014;157:689-701 pubmed publisher..Notably, selective activation or ablation of just six DH44+ PI cells causes arrhythmicity. These findings delineate a circuit through which clock cells can modulate locomotor rhythms. ..
- Huse J, Liu K, Pijak D, Carlin D, Lee V, Doms R. Beta-secretase processing in the trans-Golgi network preferentially generates truncated amyloid species that accumulate in Alzheimer's disease brain. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:16278-84 pubmed..Taken together, these data support an important role for beta'-cleavage in the process of cerebral amyloid deposition and localize the processing event to the trans-Golgi network. ..
- Ramakrishnan R, Prabhakaran K, Jayakumar A, Gunasekaran P, Sheeladevi R, Suthanthirarajan N. Involvement of Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in the modulation of indolamines in diabetic and hyperglycemic rats. J Neurosci Res. 2005;80:518-28 pubmed..These results suggest that CaMKII may be involved in the regulation of indolamines in diabetic animals. ..
- Wynder C, Hakimi M, Epstein J, Shilatifard A, Shiekhattar R. Recruitment of MLL by HMG-domain protein iBRAF promotes neural differentiation. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1113-7 pubmed..Moreover, depletion of iBRAF abrogates recruitment of MLL and enhancement of histone H3K4 trimethylation. Together, these results indicate that the HMG-domain protein iBRAF has a key role in the initiation of neuronal differentiation. ..
- Huang P, Xu W, Yoon S, Chen C, Chong P, Liu Chen L. Cholesterol reduction by methyl-beta-cyclodextrin attenuates the delta opioid receptor-mediated signaling in neuronal cells but enhances it in non-neuronal cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2007;73:534-49 pubmed..Cholesterol-dependent association of caveolin-1 with and the resulting inhibition of G proteins may be a contributing factor. ..
- Belinsky M, Guo P, Lee K, Zhou F, Kotova E, Grinberg A, et al. Multidrug resistance protein 4 protects bone marrow, thymus, spleen, and intestine from nucleotide analogue-induced damage. Cancer Res. 2007;67:262-8 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that an ATP-binding cassette transporter can affect in vivo tissue sensitivity towards this class of agents. ..
- Igaz L, Kwong L, Xu Y, Truax A, Uryu K, Neumann M, et al. Enrichment of C-terminal fragments in TAR DNA-binding protein-43 cytoplasmic inclusions in brain but not in spinal cord of frontotemporal lobar degeneration and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:182-94 pubmed publisher..Therefore, regionally different pathogenic processes may underlie the development of abnormal TDP-43 proteinopathies. ..
- Marsh E, Fulp C, Gomez E, Nasrallah I, Minarcik J, Sudi J, et al. Targeted loss of Arx results in a developmental epilepsy mouse model and recapitulates the human phenotype in heterozygous females. Brain. 2009;132:1563-76 pubmed publisher..Given the frequency of ARX mutations in patients with infantile spasms and related disorders, our data unveil a new model for further understanding the pathogenesis of these disorders. ..
- Iacovelli J, Mlodnicka A, Veldman P, Ying G, Dunaief J, Schumacher A. Brain and retinal ferroportin 1 dysregulation in polycythaemia mice. Brain Res. 2009;1289:85-95 pubmed publisher..This phenotype demonstrates the importance of iron homeostasis in retinal health. ..
- Tatard V, Xiang C, Biegel J, Dahmane N. ZNF238 is expressed in postmitotic brain cells and inhibits brain tumor growth. Cancer Res. 2010;70:1236-46 pubmed publisher..ZNF238 is thus a novel brain tumor suppressor and its reactivation in tumors could open a novel anticancer strategy. ..
- Newberg A, Amsterdam J, Wintering N, Shults J. Low brain serotonin transporter binding in major depressive disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2012;202:161-7 pubmed publisher..These findings confirm prior observations of lower SERT binding in depression, and suggest that low SERT binding may represent a putative biomarker of depression. Future studies are needed to confirm these observations. ..
- Yoon S, Bagel J, O Donnell P, Vite C, Wolfe J. Clinical Improvement of Alpha-mannosidosis Cat Following a Single Cisterna Magna Infusion of AAV1. Mol Ther. 2016;24:26-33 pubmed publisher..Thus, cisterna magna gene delivery by AAV1 appears to be a viable strategy for treatment of the whole brain in AMD and should be applicable to many of the neurotropic LSDs as well as other neurogenetic disorders. ..
- Wenger D, DeGala G, Williams C, Taylor H, Stevenson R, Pruitt J, et al. Clinical, pathological, and biochemical studies on an infantile case of sulfatide/GM1 activator protein deficiency. Am J Med Genet. 1989;33:255-65 pubmed..This patient was clinically more severe than the other patients described previously with this deficiency. Further studies are underway to define the nature of the mutation in this patient...
- Marklund N, Fulp C, Shimizu S, Puri R, McMillan A, Strittmatter S, et al. Selective temporal and regional alterations of Nogo-A and small proline-rich repeat protein 1A (SPRR1A) but not Nogo-66 receptor (NgR) occur following traumatic brain injury in the rat. Exp Neurol. 2006;197:70-83 pubmed
- Raghunath M, Patti R, Bannerman P, Lee C, Baker S, Sutton L, et al. A novel kinase, AATYK induces and promotes neuronal differentiation in a human neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell line. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2000;77:151-62 pubmed..Our results demonstrate for the first time that AATYK is an active, non-receptor, cytosolic kinase which induces neuronal differentiation and also promotes differentiation induced by other agents in the SH-SY5Y cells. ..
- Baker S, Sumerson R, Reddy C, Berrebi A, Flynn D, Reddy E. Characterization of an alternatively spliced AATYK mRNA: expression pattern of AATYK in the brain and neuronal cells. Oncogene. 2001;20:1015-21 pubmed..Expression of AATYK was also up-regulated as a function of RA-induced neuronal differentiation of p19 embryonal carcinoma cells, supporting a role for this protein in mature neurons and neuronal differentiation. ..
- Newberg A, Pourdehnad M, Alavi A, d Aquili E. Cerebral blood flow during meditative prayer: preliminary findings and methodological issues. Percept Mot Skills. 2003;97:625-30 pubmed
- Qi Y, Takahashi N, Hileman S, Patel H, Berg A, Pajvani U, et al. Adiponectin acts in the brain to decrease body weight. Nat Med. 2004;10:524-9 pubmed..Agouti (A(y)/a) mice did not respond to ADP or leptin, indicating the melanocortin pathway may be a common target. These results show that ADP has unique central effects on energy homeostasis. ..
- Cairns N, Uryu K, Bigio E, Mackenzie I, Gearing M, Duyckaerts C, et al. alpha-Internexin aggregates are abundant in neuronal intermediate filament inclusion disease (NIFID) but rare in other neurodegenerative diseases. Acta Neuropathol. 2004;108:213-23 pubmed..The discovery of alpha-internexin in neuronal cytoplasmic inclusions implicates novel mechanisms of pathogenesis in NIFID and other neurological diseases with pathological filamentous neuronal inclusions. ..
- Chang R, Friedman D. Isolated cortical venous thrombosis presenting as subarachnoid hemorrhage: a report of three cases. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2004;25:1676-9 pubmed..Isolated CVT usually manifests on imaging studies as focal parenchymal hemorrhage or edema. We report three cases of isolated CVT that presented with unilateral, localized subarachnoid hemorrhage without parenchymal involvement. ..
- Jones M, Lucki I. Sex differences in the regulation of serotonergic transmission and behavior in 5-HT receptor knockout mice. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2005;30:1039-47 pubmed..Therefore, female 5-HT1B receptor knockout mice demonstrate a sex-linked disinhibition of 5-HT release that sustained higher baseline levels of hippocampal 5-HT and behavioral vulnerability to 5-HT depletion. ..
- Siman R, Zhang C, Roberts V, Pitts Kiefer A, Neumar R. Novel surrogate markers for acute brain damage: cerebrospinal fluid levels corrrelate with severity of ischemic neurodegeneration in the rat. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2005;25:1433-44 pubmed..Measurement of 14-3-3beta and calpain-cleaved tau may be useful for the minimally invasive diagnosis, prognosis, and therapeutic evaluation of acute brain damage. ..
- Jaramillo A, Zeng H, Fei H, Zhou Y, Levitan I. Expression and function of variants of slob, slowpoke channel binding protein, in Drosophila. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:1957-65 pubmed..Using a heterologous expression system, we show that different Slobs bind to different extents to dSlo and 14-3-3. These data reveal an unexpected diversity of the dSlo/Slob/14-3-3 dynamic regulatory complex. ..
- Liu K, Solano I, Mann D, Lemere C, Mercken M, Trojanowski J, et al. Characterization of Abeta11-40/42 peptide deposition in Alzheimer's disease and young Down's syndrome brains: implication of N-terminally truncated Abeta species in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. Acta Neuropathol. 2006;112:163-74 pubmed..The detection of Abeta11-42 in young DS brain suggests an early role for this N-terminally truncated Abeta peptide in the pathogenesis of SPs in AD and DS. ..
- Shineman D, Zhang B, Leight S, Pratico D, Lee V. Thromboxane receptor activation mediates isoprostane-induced increases in amyloid pathology in Tg2576 mice. J Neurosci. 2008;28:4785-94 pubmed publisher..S18886 treatment reduced amyloid plaques, insoluble Abeta, and APP levels, thereby implicating TP receptor signaling as a novel target for AD therapy. ..
- Saliba R, Pangalos M, Moss S. The ubiquitin-like protein Plic-1 enhances the membrane insertion of GABAA receptors by increasing their stability within the endoplasmic reticulum. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18538-44 pubmed publisher..Thus, Plic-1 may play a significant role in regulating the strength of synaptic inhibition by increasing the stability of GABA(A)Rs within the secretory pathway and thereby promoting their insertion into the neuronal plasma membrane. ..
- DiLeonardi A, Huh J, Raghupathi R. Impaired axonal transport and neurofilament compaction occur in separate populations of injured axons following diffuse brain injury in the immature rat. Brain Res. 2009;1263:174-82 pubmed publisher..Importantly, these data are indicative of the heterogeneity of mechanisms underlying TAI in the traumatically-injured immature brain. ..