Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on animals in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications807 found, 100 shown here
- Xu X, Vatsyayan J, Gao C, Bakkenist C, Hu J. Sumoylation of eIF4E activates mRNA translation. EMBO Rep. 2010;11:299-304 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that sumoylation is a new fundamental regulatory mechanism of protein synthesis. Our findings suggest further that eIF4E sumoylation might be important in promoting human cancers. ..
- Van Laar V, Arnold B, Cassady S, Chu C, Burton E, Berman S. Bioenergetics of neurons inhibit the translocation response of Parkin following rapid mitochondrial depolarization. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:927-40 pubmed publisher..Since the Parkin-mitophagy pathway is heavily dependent on bioenergetic status, the unique metabolic properties of neurons likely influence the function of this pathway in the pathogenesis of PD. ..
- Huh S, Ker D, Bise R, Chen M, Kanade T. Automated mitosis detection of stem cell populations in phase-contrast microscopy images. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2011;30:586-96 pubmed publisher..Our approach significantly outperforms previous approaches in terms of both detection accuracy and computational efficiency, when applied to multipotent C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal and C2C12 myoblastic stem cell populations. ..
- Crapo P, Medberry C, Reing J, Tottey S, van der Merwe Y, Jones K, et al. Biologic scaffolds composed of central nervous system extracellular matrix. Biomaterials. 2012;33:3539-47 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that CNS ECM may provide tissue-specific advantages in CNS regenerative medicine applications and that ECM scaffolds in general may aid functional recovery after CNS injury. ..
- Henson B, Zhu W, Hardaway K, Wetzel J, Stefan M, Albers K, et al. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional regulation of SPAST, the gene most frequently mutated in hereditary spastic paraplegia. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e36505 pubmed publisher..These transcriptional and miRNA regulatory mechanisms provide new functional targets for mutation screening and therapeutic targeting in HSP. ..
- Fitz N, Cronican A, Saleem M, Fauq A, Chapman R, Lefterov I, et al. Abca1 deficiency affects Alzheimer's disease-like phenotype in human ApoE4 but not in ApoE3-targeted replacement mice. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13125-36 pubmed..Overall, our results prove that the presence of functional Abca1 significantly influences the phenotype of APP mice expressing human ApoE4 and further substantiate therapeutic approaches in AD based on ABCA1-APOE regulatory axis...
- McCall A, Moy J, Puterbaugh S, Demayo W, Yates B. Responses of vestibular nucleus neurons to inputs from the hindlimb are enhanced following a bilateral labyrinthectomy. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2013;114:742-51 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for the development of a limb neuroprosthetics device for the management of bilateral vestibular loss. ..
- Nace G, Huang H, Klune J, Eid R, Rosborough B, Korff S, et al. Cellular-specific role of toll-like receptor 4 in hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury in mice. Hepatology. 2013;58:374-87 pubmed publisher..The parenchymal HC is an active participant in sterile inflammatory response after I/R through TLR4-mediated activation of proinflammatory signaling and release of danger signals, such as HMGB1. ..
- Chen K, Kolls J. T cell-mediated host immune defenses in the lung. Annu Rev Immunol. 2013;31:605-33 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on the recent advances in understanding how T lymphocytes mediate pulmonary host defenses against bacterial, viral, and fungal pathogens. ..
- Sakao K, Hahm E, Singh S. In vitro and in vivo effects of phenethyl isothiocyanate treatment on vimentin protein expression in cancer cells. Nutr Cancer. 2013;65 Suppl 1:61-7 pubmed publisher..The present study highlights the importance of in vivo correlative studies for validation of the in vitro mechanistic observations. ..
- Navlakha S, Suhan J, Barth A, Bar Joseph Z. A high-throughput framework to detect synapses in electron microscopy images. Bioinformatics. 2013;29:i9-17 pubmed publisher..Our algorithms are highly efficient and scalable and are freely available for others to use. Code is available at http://www.cs.cmu.edu/?saketn/detect_synapses/ ..
- Yang G, Rothrauff B, Lin H, Gottardi R, Alexander P, Tuan R. Enhancement of tenogenic differentiation of human adipose stem cells by tendon-derived extracellular matrix. Biomaterials. 2013;34:9295-306 pubmed publisher..These findings support the utility of tECM in creating bio-functional scaffolds for tendon tissue engineering. ..
- Yu F, Wang X, Guo Z, Bartlett D, Gottschalk S, Song X. T-cell engager-armed oncolytic vaccinia virus significantly enhances antitumor therapy. Mol Ther. 2014;22:102-11 pubmed publisher..Thus, arming oncolytic VVs with T-cell engagers may represent a promising approach to improve oncolytic virus therapy. ..
- Hildebrand D, Cicconet M, Torres R, Choi W, Quan T, Moon J, et al. Whole-brain serial-section electron microscopy in larval zebrafish. Nature. 2017;545:345-349 pubmed publisher..All obtained images and reconstructions are provided as an open-access resource. ..
- Ramadori P, Drescher H, Erschfeld S, Fragoulis A, Kensler T, Wruck C, et al. Genetic Nrf2 Overactivation Inhibits the Deleterious Effects Induced by Hepatocyte-Specific c-met Deletion during the Progression of NASH. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2017;2017:3420286 pubmed publisher..Therefore, genetic activation of the antioxidant transcription factor Nrf2 improves liver damage and repair in hepatocyte-specific c-met-deficient mice mainly through restoring a balance in the cellular redox homeostasis. ..
- Ameredes B, Brechue W, Stainsby W. Mechanical and metabolic determination of VO2 and fatigue during repetitive isometric contractions in situ. J Appl Physiol (1985). 1998;84:1909-16 pubmed..These differences in tension and VO2 between Lo and Ls groups indicate that muscles contracting isometrically at initial lengths shorter than Lo are working under submaximal conditions...
- Yoder M, Hildebrand J. Shroom4 (Kiaa1202) is an actin-associated protein implicated in cytoskeletal organization. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 2007;64:49-63 pubmed..This localization is mediated, at least in part, by the direct interaction of Shroom4 and F-actin. Our results suggest that Shroom4 is a regulator of cytoskeletal architecture that may play an important role in vertebrate development. ..
- Grant S, Melan M, Latimer J, Witt Enderby P. Melatonin and breast cancer: cellular mechanisms, clinical studies and future perspectives. Expert Rev Mol Med. 2009;11:e5 pubmed publisher..This review summarises cellular mechanisms governing the action of melatonin and then considers the potential use of melatonin in breast cancer prevention and treatment, with an emphasis on improving clinical outcomes. ..
- Stoffels B, Turler A, Schmidt J, Nazir A, Tsukamoto T, Moore B, et al. Anti-inflammatory role of glycine in reducing rodent postoperative inflammatory ileus. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011;23:76-87, e8 pubmed publisher..Therapeutic modulation of resident macrophages by glycine is a potential novel pharmacological target for the prevention of postoperative ileus. ..
- Tang Z, Wasserloos K, St Croix C, Pitt B. Role of zinc in pulmonary endothelial cell response to oxidative stress. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2001;281:L243-9 pubmed..Thus pulmonary endothelial cell zinc inhibits spontaneous and lipopolysaccharide-dependent apoptosis but contributes to tBH-induced necrosis, in part, via a PKC-dependent pathway. ..
- Halfter W, Dong S, Yip Y, Willem M, Mayer U. A critical function of the pial basement membrane in cortical histogenesis. J Neurosci. 2002;22:6029-40 pubmed
- Adibi S. Regulation of expression of the intestinal oligopeptide transporter (Pept-1) in health and disease. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2003;285:G779-88 pubmed
- Hartings J, Temereanca S, Simons D. Processing of periodic whisker deflections by neurons in the ventroposterior medial and thalamic reticular nuclei. J Neurophysiol. 2003;90:3087-94 pubmed..Rt inhibition is likely to act in concert with actions of neuromodulators in optimizing thalamic temporal signaling of high-frequency whisker movements. ..
- Thakar R, Gordon G, Csink A. Dynamics and anchoring of heterochromatic loci during development. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4165-75 pubmed..We also find a general constraint on chromatin movement is imposed during differentiation, which stabilizes changes in nuclear organization in differentiated nuclei. ..
- Saxena D, Escamilla Hernandez R, Little Ihrig L, Zeleznik A. Liver receptor homolog-1 and steroidogenic factor-1 have similar actions on rat granulosa cell steroidogenesis. Endocrinology. 2007;148:726-34 pubmed
- Yates C, Whaley D, Kulasekeran P, Hancock W, Lu B, Bodnar R, et al. Delayed and deficient dermal maturation in mice lacking the CXCR3 ELR-negative CXC chemokine receptor. Am J Pathol. 2007;171:484-95 pubmed..These studies establish a pathophysiologic role for CXCR3 and its ligand during wound repair. ..
- Zhao X, Dong Q, Bindas J, Piganelli J, Magill A, Reiser J, et al. TRIF and IRF-3 binding to the TNF promoter results in macrophage TNF dysregulation and steatosis induced by chronic ethanol. J Immunol. 2008;181:3049-56 pubmed..These data demonstrate that the Trif/IRF-3 pathway is a target to ameliorate liver dysfunction associated with chronic EtOH. ..
- Clavijo J, van Bastelaar J, Pinsky M, Puyana J, Mayevsky A. Minimally invasive real time monitoring of mitochondrial NADH and tissue blood flow in the urethral wall during hemorrhage and resuscitation. Med Sci Monit. 2008;14:BR175-82 pubmed..They could be measured in vivo by a minimally invasive approach and thus could provide important information on the end-points of resuscitation in hemorrhagic shock. ..
- Sellaro T, Ranade A, Faulk D, McCabe G, Dorko K, Badylak S, et al. Maintenance of human hepatocyte function in vitro by liver-derived extracellular matrix gels. Tissue Eng Part A. 2010;16:1075-82 pubmed publisher..We conclude that like Matrigel, PLECM represents a favorable substrate for in vitro culture of human hepatocytes. ..
- McCauley B, Weideman E, Hinman V. A conserved gene regulatory network subcircuit drives different developmental fates in the vegetal pole of highly divergent echinoderm embryos. Dev Biol. 2010;340:200-8 pubmed publisher..The positive regulatory feedback between these transcription factors may explain the conservation of this subcircuit. ..
- Alzamora R, Thali R, Gong F, Smolak C, Li H, Baty C, et al. PKA regulates vacuolar H+-ATPase localization and activity via direct phosphorylation of the a subunit in kidney cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:24676-85 pubmed publisher..In summary, these results indicate a novel mechanism for the regulation of V-ATPase localization and activity in kidney cells via direct PKA-dependent phosphorylation of the A subunit at Ser-175. ..
- Yilmaz Rastoder E, Miyamae T, Braun A, Thiels E. LTP- and LTD-inducing stimulations cause opposite changes in arc/arg3.1 mRNA level in hippocampal area CA1 in vivo. Hippocampus. 2011;21:1290-301 pubmed publisher..Thus, the regulation of arc expression not only differs between LTP and LTD, but also diverges from that of other IEGs implicated in activity-dependent synaptic plasticity. ..
- Shinoda M, La J, Bielefeldt K, Gebhart G. Altered purinergic signaling in colorectal dorsal root ganglion neurons contributes to colorectal hypersensitivity. J Neurophysiol. 2010;104:3113-23 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that colorectal hypersensitivity produced by intracolonic zymosan increases excitability and enhances purinergic signaling in c-DRG neurons. ..
- Bruns T, Gaunt R, Weber D. Multielectrode array recordings of bladder and perineal primary afferent activity from the sacral dorsal root ganglia. J Neural Eng. 2011;8:056010 pubmed publisher..This natural source of feedback would be valuable for providing closed-loop control of bladder or other pelvic neuroprostheses. ..
- Duvvuri U, Shiwarski D, Xiao D, Bertrand C, Huang X, Edinger R, et al. TMEM16A induces MAPK and contributes directly to tumorigenesis and cancer progression. Cancer Res. 2012;72:3270-81 pubmed publisher..The development of small-molecule inhibitors against TMEM16A may be clinically relevant for treatment of human cancers, including SCCHN. ..
- Xiao X, Guo P, Shiota C, Prasadan K, El Gohary Y, Wiersch J, et al. Neurogenin3 activation is not sufficient to direct duct-to-beta cell transdifferentiation in the adult pancreas. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:25297-308 pubmed publisher..Therefore, Ngn3 activation in duct cells is not a signature for adult beta cell neogenesis. ..
- TAYLOR COUSAR J, Niknian M, Gilmartin G, Pilewski J. Effect of ivacaftor in patients with advanced cystic fibrosis and a G551D-CFTR mutation: Safety and efficacy in an expanded access program in the United States. J Cyst Fibros. 2016;15:116-22 pubmed publisher..5 percentage points and a 3.3 kg mean absolute increase in weight from baseline. In patients with severe lung disease, ivacaftor was well tolerated and was associated with improved lung function and weight gain. ..
- Rudolph T, Ravekes T, Klinke A, Friedrichs K, Mollenhauer M, Pekarova M, et al. Nitrated fatty acids suppress angiotensin II-mediated fibrotic remodelling and atrial fibrillation. Cardiovasc Res. 2016;109:174-84 pubmed publisher..Nitro-fatty acids and possibly other lipid electrophiles thus emerge as potential therapeutic agents for AF, either by increasing endogenous levels through dietary modulation or by administration as synthetic drugs. ..
- Szabat M, Page M, Panzhinskiy E, SkovsÃ¸ S, Mojibian M, Fernandez Tajes J, et al. Reduced Insulin Production Relieves Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Induces Î² Cell Proliferation. Cell Metab. 2016;23:179-93 pubmed publisher..Eventually, recombined cells mis-expressed glucagon in the hyperglycemic state. We conclude that the normally high rate of insulin production suppresses Î² cell proliferation in a cell-autonomous manner. ..
- Kim S, Kaschula C, Priedigkeit N, Lee A, Singh S. Forkhead Box Q1 Is a Novel Target of Breast Cancer Stem Cell Inhibition by Diallyl Trisulfide. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:13495-508 pubmed publisher..DATS administration inhibited ALDH1 activity in vivo in SUM159 xenografts. These results indicate that FoxQ1 is a novel target of bCSC inhibition by DATS. ..
- Petersen B, Bowen W, Patrene K, Mars W, Sullivan A, Murase N, et al. Bone marrow as a potential source of hepatic oval cells. Science. 1999;284:1168-70 pubmed..From these cells, a proportion of the regenerated hepatic cells were shown to be donor-derived. Thus, a stem cell associated with the bone marrow has epithelial cell lineage capability...
- Studer R, Levicoff E, Georgescu H, Miller L, Jaffurs D, Evans C. Nitric oxide inhibits chondrocyte response to IGF-I: inhibition of IGF-IRbeta tyrosine phosphorylation. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2000;279:C961-9 pubmed..These studies show that NO is responsible for part of arthritic cartilage/chondrocyte insensitivity to anabolic actions of IGF-I; inhibition of receptor autophosphorylation is potentially responsible for this effect...
- Mooney M, Cooper G, Burrows A, Wigginton W, Smith T, Dechant J, et al. Trigonocephaly in rabbits with familial interfrontal suture synostosis: the multiple effects of premature single-suture fusion. Anat Rec. 2000;260:238-51 pubmed..Results are discussed in light of current pathogenic hypotheses for human infants with premature metopic suture synostosis...
- Jackson E, Zhu C, Tofovic S. Expression of adenosine receptors in the preglomerular microcirculation. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2002;283:F41-51 pubmed..Thus A1 and A2B receptors, but not A2A or A3 receptors, may importantly regulate the preglomerular microcirculation. ..
- Pinto A, Jankowski M, Sesack S. Projections from the paraventricular nucleus of the thalamus to the rat prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens shell: ultrastructural characteristics and spatial relationships with dopamine afferents. J Comp Neurol. 2003;459:142-55 pubmed..These findings represent the first demonstration of postsynaptic convergence between DA and thalamic afferents to a striatal region and are consistent with direct synaptic modulation of PVT transmission by DA in the NAc but not the PFC. ..
- Hu B, Wang S, Zhang Y, Feghali C, Dingman J, Wright T. A nuclear target for interleukin-1alpha: interaction with the growth suppressor necdin modulates proliferation and collagen expression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:10008-13 pubmed
- Vogt A, Lazo J. Chemical complementation: a definitive phenotypic strategy for identifying small molecule inhibitors of elusive cellular targets. Pharmacol Ther. 2005;107:212-21 pubmed
- Zhou C, Ziegler C, Birder L, Stewart A, Levitan E. Angiotensin II and stretch activate NADPH oxidase to destabilize cardiac Kv4.3 channel mRNA. Circ Res. 2006;98:1040-7 pubmed..3 channel mRNA by activating NADPH oxidase. These results link long-term control of cardiac K+ channel gene expression to a physiological reactive oxygen species signaling pathway. ..
- Garcia Palacios V, Chung H, Choi S, Sarmasik A, Kurihara N, Lee J, et al. Eosinophil chemotactic factor-L (ECF-L) enhances osteoclast formation by increasing in osteoclast precursors expression of LFA-1 and ICAM-1. Bone. 2007;40:316-22 pubmed..Taken together, these results demonstrate that ECF-L enhances RANKL and 1,25-(OH)2D3-induced OCL formation by increasing adhesive interactions between OCL precursors through increased expression of ICAM-1 and LFA-1. ..
- KLIMENT C, Tobolewski J, Manni M, Tan R, Enghild J, Oury T. Extracellular superoxide dismutase protects against matrix degradation of heparan sulfate in the lung. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2008;10:261-8 pubmed..We demonstrate that one mechanism through which EC-SOD inhibits lung inflammation and fibrosis in asbestosis is by protecting heparin/heparan sulfate from oxidative fragmentation. ..
- de Souza A, Oak J, Jordanhazy R, DeKruyff R, Fruman D, Kane L. T cell Ig and mucin domain-1-mediated T cell activation requires recruitment and activation of phosphoinositide 3-kinase. J Immunol. 2008;180:6518-26 pubmed..Thus, we describe a pathway from Tim-1 tyrosine phosphorylation to the PI3K signaling pathway, which appears to be a major effector of Tim-1-mediated T cell activation. ..
- Buchholz B, Kaczorowski D, Sugimoto R, Yang R, Wang Y, Billiar T, et al. Hydrogen inhalation ameliorates oxidative stress in transplantation induced intestinal graft injury. Am J Transplant. 2008;8:2015-24 pubmed publisher..Administration of perioperative hydrogen gas may be a potent and clinically applicable therapeutic strategy for intestinal I/R injury. ..
- Mattila P, Kinlough C, Bruns J, Weisz O, Hughey R. MUC1 traverses apical recycling endosomes along the biosynthetic pathway in polarized MDCK cells. Biol Chem. 2009;390:551-6 pubmed publisher..Moreover, MUC1 expressed for brief periods in MDCK cells co-localized with GFP-MyoVbT. We conclude that MUC1 traffics to the apical surface via AREs in polarized renal epithelial cells. ..
- Qiu W, Carson Walter E, Kuan S, Zhang L, Yu J. PUMA suppresses intestinal tumorigenesis in mice. Cancer Res. 2009;69:4999-5006 pubmed publisher..These results show an essential role of PUMA-mediated apoptosis in suppressing intestinal tumorigenesis in mice. ..
- Santiago L, Clavijo Alvarez J, Brayfield C, Rubin J, Marra K. Delivery of adipose-derived precursor cells for peripheral nerve repair. Cell Transplant. 2009;18:145-58 pubmed..The transplantation of APCs promoted the formation of a more robust nerve as evidenced by the results from the cross-sectional area of regenerated nerve, and the transplantation of APCs produced a decrease in muscle atrophy. ..
- Volonte D, Galbiati F. Inhibition of thioredoxin reductase 1 by caveolin 1 promotes stress-induced premature senescence. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:1334-40 pubmed publisher..Thus, caveolin 1 links free radicals to activation of the p53/p21(Waf1/Cip1) pathway and induction of cellular senescence by acting as an endogenous inhibitor of TrxR1. ..
- Raimondi G, Sumpter T, Matta B, Pillai M, Corbitt N, Vodovotz Y, et al. Mammalian target of rapamycin inhibition and alloantigen-specific regulatory T cells synergize to promote long-term graft survival in immunocompetent recipients. J Immunol. 2010;184:624-36 pubmed publisher..These findings delineate combination of transient mammalian target of Rapa inhibition with appropriate AAsTreg selection as an effective approach to promote long-term organ graft survival. ..
- Tang D, Kang R, Zeh H, Lotze M. High-mobility group box 1 and cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1799:131-40 pubmed publisher..Here, we focus on the role of HMGB1 in cancer, the mechanisms by which it contributes to carcinogenesis, and therapeutic strategies based on targeting HMGB1. ..
- Plant T. Undifferentiated primate spermatogonia and their endocrine control. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2010;21:488-95 pubmed publisher..Obstacles in gaining a more complete understanding of primate spermatogonia are also identified. ..
- Tiso M, Tejero J, Basu S, Azarov I, Wang X, Simplaceanu V, et al. Human neuroglobin functions as a redox-regulated nitrite reductase. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:18277-89 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that the six-coordinate heme globin superfamily may subserve a function as primordial hypoxic and redox-regulated NO-signaling proteins. ..
- Wheeler S, Morariu E, Bednash J, Otte C, Seethala R, Chiosea S, et al. Lyn kinase mediates cell motility and tumor growth in EGFRvIII-expressing head and neck cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2012;18:2850-60 pubmed publisher..These findings show that Lyn mediates tumor progression of EGFRvIII-expressing HNSCCs in which strategies to inhibit SFK may represent an effective therapeutic strategy. ..
- Kar K, Hoop C, Drombosky K, Baker M, Kodali R, Arduini I, et al. ?-hairpin-mediated nucleation of polyglutamine amyloid formation. J Mol Biol. 2013;425:1183-97 pubmed publisher..The results indicate an important role for ?-turns in the nucleation mechanism and structure of polyQ amyloid and have implications for the nature of the toxic species in expanded CAG repeat diseases. ..
- SIMON N, Bochman M, Seguin S, Brodsky J, Seibel W, Schwacha A. Ciprofloxacin is an inhibitor of the Mcm2-7 replicative helicase. Biosci Rep. 2013;33: pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that ciprofloxacin targets Mcm2-7 in vitro, and support the feasibility of developing specific quinolone-based inhibitors of Mcm2-7 for therapeutic and experimental applications. ..
- Chatterjee S, Elinson R. Commitment to nutritional endoderm in Eleutherodactylus coqui involves altered nodal signaling and global transcriptional repression. J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol. 2014;322:27-44 pubmed publisher..We have described a novel mechanism, which prevents differentiation of the vegetal core through differential Nodal-signaling and global transcriptional repression. ..
- Galvan A, Stauffer W, Acker L, El Shamayleh Y, Inoue K, Ohayon S, et al. Nonhuman Primate Optogenetics: Recent Advances and Future Directions. J Neurosci. 2017;37:10894-10903 pubmed publisher..We highlight the technical hurdles that have been cleared, challenges that remain, and summarize how optogenetic experiments are expanding our understanding of primate brain function. ..
- Geng Y, Ishikawa Y, Vatner D, Wagner T, Bishop S, Vatner S, et al. Apoptosis of cardiac myocytes in Gsalpha transgenic mice. Circ Res. 1999;84:34-42 pubmed..This represents a potential mechanism that may contribute to the development of cardiomyopathy in this model. ..
- Yin X, Landay M, Han W, Levitan E, Watkins S, Levenson R, et al. Dynamic in vivo interactions among Myc network members. Oncogene. 2001;20:4650-64 pubmed..These findings suggest novel means by which Myc network members promote transcriptional activation or repression. ..
- Zamora R, Vodovotz Y, Betten B, Wong C, Zuckerbraun B, Gibson K, et al. Intestinal and hepatic expression of BNIP3 in necrotizing enterocolitis: regulation by nitric oxide and peroxynitrite. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2005;289:G822-30 pubmed
- Dohar J, Hebda P, Veeh R, Awad M, Costerton J, Hayes J, et al. Mucosal biofilm formation on middle-ear mucosa in a nonhuman primate model of chronic suppurative otitis media. Laryngoscope. 2005;115:1469-72 pubmed..Perhaps the best studied pathogen for its propensity toward biofilm formation is Pseudomonas aeruginosa, also the primary pathogen in chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM)...
- Leeman R, Lui V, Grandis J. STAT3 as a therapeutic target in head and neck cancer. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2006;6:231-41 pubmed..Strategies that block STAT3 may prove efficacious for cancer treatment. ..
- Cherpes T, Wiesenfeld H, Melan M, Kant J, Cosentino L, Meyn L, et al. The associations between pelvic inflammatory disease, Trichomonas vaginalis infection, and positive herpes simplex virus type 2 serology. Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33:747-52 pubmed
- Sun F, Zhang R, Gong X, Geng X, Drain P, Frizzell R. Derlin-1 promotes the efficient degradation of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) and CFTR folding mutants. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:36856-63 pubmed
- Goto Y, Grace A. The dopamine system and the pathophysiology of schizophrenia: a basic science perspective. Int Rev Neurobiol. 2007;78:41-68 pubmed
- Li Y, Dai C, Wu C, Liu Y. PINCH-1 promotes tubular epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by interacting with integrin-linked kinase. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007;18:2534-43 pubmed..We conclude that PINCH-1, through its interaction with ILK, plays an important role in regulating TGF-beta1-mediated EMT and could be a potential future therapeutic target to prevent progression of renal disease. ..
- Inagaki K, Ma C, Storm T, Kay M, Nakai H. The role of DNA-PKcs and artemis in opening viral DNA hairpin termini in various tissues in mice. J Virol. 2007;81:11304-21 pubmed..Thus, our approach furthers our understanding of not only rAAV biology but also fundamental DNA repair systems in various tissues of living animals. ..
- Weng Z, Signore A, Gao Y, Wang S, Zhang F, Hastings T, et al. Leptin protects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced dopaminergic cell death via mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34479-91 pubmed..Collectively, these data provide evidence that leptin prevents the degeneration of dopaminergic neurons by 6-OHDA and may prove useful in the treatment of Parkinson disease. ..
- Beumer J, Eiseman J, Parise R, Florian J, Joseph E, D Argenio D, et al. Plasma pharmacokinetics and oral bioavailability of 3,4,5,6-tetrahydrouridine, a cytidine deaminase inhibitor, in mice. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:457-64 pubmed..This suggests the feasibility of using THU to decrease elimination and first-pass metabolism of cytidine analogues by CD. THU pharmacokinetics are now being evaluated in humans. ..
- Su Y, Huang X, Raskovalova T, Zacharia L, Lokshin A, Jackson E, et al. Cooperation of adenosine and prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) in amplification of cAMP-PKA signaling and immunosuppression. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2008;57:1611-23 pubmed publisher..High intratumor levels of adenosine and PGE2 could protect tumor from immune-mediated destruction by inactivation of the tumor infiltrating functionally active immune cells. ..
- Giannopoulou M, Dai C, Tan X, Wen X, Michalopoulos G, Liu Y. Hepatocyte growth factor exerts its anti-inflammatory action by disrupting nuclear factor-kappaB signaling. Am J Pathol. 2008;173:30-41 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest that HGF is a potent anti-inflammatory cytokine that inhibits renal inflammation by disrupting NF-kappaB signaling and may be a promising therapeutic agent for progressive renal diseases. ..
- Daood M, McDonagh A, Watchko J. Calculated free bilirubin levels and neurotoxicity. J Perinatol. 2009;29 Suppl 1:S14-9 pubmed publisher..Journal of Perinatology (2009) 29, S14-S19; doi:10.1038/jp.2008.218. ..
- Rudolph V, Rudolph T, Schopfer F, Bonacci G, Woodcock S, Cole M, et al. Endogenous generation and protective effects of nitro-fatty acids in a murine model of focal cardiac ischaemia and reperfusion. Cardiovasc Res. 2010;85:155-66 pubmed publisher..This study reveals the de novo generation of fatty acid nitration products in vivo and reveals the anti-inflammatory and potential therapeutic actions of OA-NO(2) in myocardial I/R injury. ..
- Matsumoto H, Kimura T, Haga K, Kasahara N, Anton P, McGowan I. Effective in vivo and ex vivo gene transfer to intestinal mucosa by VSV-G-pseudotyped lentiviral vectors. BMC Gastroenterol. 2010;10:44 pubmed publisher..Within the limitations of the study, the LV did not appear to induce mucosal damage and were not distributed beyond the distal colon. ..
- Giuliano K, Gough A, Taylor D, Vernetti L, Johnston P. Early safety assessment using cellular systems biology yields insights into mechanisms of action. J Biomol Screen. 2010;15:783-97 pubmed publisher..Because cells and tissues encounter wide ranges of drug doses in space and time, these mechanistic profiles build on the CellCiphr profile and better reflect the complexity of the response in vivo. ..
- Qiu W, Liu H, Sebastini A, Sun Q, Wang H, Zhang L, et al. An apoptosis-independent role of SMAC in tumor suppression. Oncogene. 2013;32:2380-9 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate an essential and apoptosis-independent function of SMAC in tumor suppression and provide new insights into the biology and targeting of colon cancer. ..
- Chonko K, Jahan I, Stone J, Wright M, Fujiyama T, Hoshino M, et al. Atoh1 directs hair cell differentiation and survival in the late embryonic mouse inner ear. Dev Biol. 2013;381:401-10 pubmed publisher..However, maintained expression of Pou4f3 and several hair cell-specific markers is independent of Atoh1 expression. These data reveal novel late roles for Atoh1 that are separable from its initial role in hair cell development. ..