Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adult in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications651 found, 100 shown here
- Kunkle D, Kansas B, Pathak A, Goldberg A, Mydlo J. Delayed diagnosis of traumatic ureteral injuries. J Urol. 2006;176:2503-7 pubmed..Delayed diagnosis of ureteral injuries produces an association with prolonged hospital stay, and meta-analysis reveals a statistically significant increase in the rate of nephrectomy when ureteral injury is missed at exploration. ..
- Azzam H, Gahunia M, Sae Tia S, Santoro J. Mycobacterium avium-avium-associated typhlitis mimicking appendicitis in an immunocompetent host. Am J Med Sci. 2009;337:218-20 pubmed publisher..We report a unique case of MAC disease in the terminal ileum of a healthy patient, mimicking appendicitis. This case emphasizes the need to further explore MAC pathogenesis in immunocompetent hosts. ..
- Meadows A, Friedman D, Neglia J, Mertens A, Donaldson S, Stovall M, et al. Second neoplasms in survivors of childhood cancer: findings from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study cohort. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:2356-62 pubmed publisher..Health care professionals should understand the magnitude of these risks to provide individuals with appropriate counseling and follow-up. ..
- Ky B, Kimmel S, Safa R, Putt M, Sweitzer N, Fang J, et al. Neuregulin-1 beta is associated with disease severity and adverse outcomes in chronic heart failure. Circulation. 2009;120:310-7 pubmed publisher..These findings support a role for NRG-1/ErbB signaling in human heart failure and identify serum NRG-1beta as a novel biomarker that may have clinical applications. ..
- Kuo Y, Mondschein J, Soulen M, Patel A, Nemeth A, Stavropoulos S, et al. Drainage of collections associated with hernia mesh: is it worthwhile?. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2010;21:362-6 pubmed publisher..Mean follow-up was 319 days (range, 6-1,406 d). Percutaneous drainage of suspected mesh-related abscess is effective. The use of PTFE mesh trended toward a higher excision rate. ..
- Murashima M, Kumar D, Doyle A, Glickman J. Comparison of intradialytic blood pressure variability between conventional thrice-weekly hemodialysis and short daily hemodialysis. Hemodial Int. 2010;14:270-7 pubmed publisher..36 (0.16-0.81; P=0.008). In this retrospective study, SDHD was associated with less intradialytic BP variability and with fewer episodes of hypotension during treatments. Further studies are necessary to generalize these findings. ..
- Sulzbach Hoke L, Ratcliffe S, Kimmel S, Kolansky D, Polomano R. Predictors of complications following sheath removal with percutaneous coronary intervention. J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2010;25:E1-8 pubmed publisher..Patients who are older and those with elevated blood pressure should have their femoral access site closely monitored and be observed for vascular complications. ..
- Hudacek K, Haque M, Hochberg A, Cusack C, Chung C. An unusual variant of confluent and reticulated papillomatosis masquerading as tinea versicolor. Arch Dermatol. 2012;148:505-8 pubmed publisher..Confluent and reticulated papillomatosis is most often clinically confused with tinea versicolor and usually does not respond to therapy with antifungals. Minocycline is the treatment of choice...
- Lo Re V, Volk J, Newcomb C, Yang Y, Freeman C, Hennessy S, et al. Risk of hip fracture associated with hepatitis C virus infection and hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus coinfection. Hepatology. 2012;56:1688-98 pubmed publisher..HCV-monoinfected patients had an increased risk of hip fracture, compared to uninfected individuals. ..
- Falk G, Buttar N, Foster N, Ziegler K, Demars C, Romero Y, et al. A combination of esomeprazole and aspirin reduces tissue concentrations of prostaglandin E(2) in patients with Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterology. 2012;143:917-26.e1 pubmed publisher..These data support further evaluation of higher doses of aspirin and esomeprazole to prevent esophageal adenocarcinoma in these patients. Clinical trial registration number NCT00474903. ..
- Jandali S, Mirzabeigi M, Fosnot J, Low D. Thoracodorsal artery perforator flaps and muscle-sparing latissimus dorsi myocutaneous flaps for the treatment of axillary hidradenitis. Ann Plast Surg. 2012;69:371-5 pubmed publisher..Although not free of complications, they do offer improved results compared to historic attempts at primary closure or skin grafting. ..
- Rafiq K, Kolpakov M, Seqqat R, Guo J, Guo X, Qi Z, et al. c-Cbl inhibition improves cardiac function and survival in response to myocardial ischemia. Circulation. 2014;129:2031-43 pubmed publisher..These findings point to c-Cbl as a potential therapeutic target for the maintenance of cardiac function and remodeling after myocardial ischemia. ..
- Wynes J, Lamm B, Andrade B, Malay D. Preoperative Planning and Intraoperative Technique for Accurate Translation of a Distal First Metatarsal Osteotomy. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016;55:49-54 pubmed publisher..The results of our study indicate that predicted preoperative and executed intraoperative lateral translation of the capital fragment correlates with statistically and clinically significant reductions in the first IMA, HAA, and TSP. ..
- Engelberg J, Carlson J, Conway T, Cain K, Saelens B, Glanz K, et al. Dog walking among adolescents: Correlates and contribution to physical activity. Prev Med. 2016;82:65-72 pubmed publisher..Results suggest multilevel interventions that include both environmental and psychosocial components to increase dog walking should be evaluated. ..
- Mishra R, Chesi A, Cousminer D, Hawa M, Bradfield J, Hodge K, et al. Relative contribution of type 1 and type 2 diabetes loci to the genetic etiology of adult-onset, non-insulin-requiring autoimmune diabetes. BMC Med. 2017;15:88 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, T2D genetic risk plays a small role in LADA, with a degree of evidence for the HNF1A locus, highlighting the potential for genetic risk scores to contribute towards defining diabetes subtypes. ..
- Leventhal L, Naides S, Freundlich B. Fibromyalgia and parvovirus infection. Arthritis Rheum. 1991;34:1319-24 pubmed..A more careful search for viral infections in FM patients whose symptoms appear following a "flu-like" illness appears warranted. ..
- Katsetos C, Stadnicka I, Boyd J, Ehya H, Zheng S, Soprano C, et al. Cellular distribution of retinoic acid receptor-alpha protein in serous adenocarcinomas of ovarian, tubal, and peritoneal origin: comparison with estrogen receptor status. Am J Pathol. 1998;153:469-80 pubmed
- Stadtmauer E, O NEILL A, Goldstein L, Crilley P, Mangan K, Ingle J, et al. Conventional-dose chemotherapy compared with high-dose chemotherapy plus autologous hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation for metastatic breast cancer. Philadelphia Bone Marrow Transplant Group. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1069-76 pubmed
- McKenna R. Abnormal coagulation in the postoperative period contributing to excessive bleeding. Med Clin North Am. 2001;85:1277-310, viii pubmed..This article deals primarily with acquired disorders that disrupt normal hemostasis and cause excessive bleeding in the postoperative period because of the coagulopathy itself or because of drugs needed to treat the hemostatic disorder. ..
- Gur R, Gunning Dixon F, Turetsky B, Bilker W, Gur R. Brain region and sex differences in age association with brain volume: a quantitative MRI study of healthy young adults. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2002;10:72-80 pubmed..Thus, the biological changes commonly attributed to "aging" do, in fact, begin much earlier in the life-cycle...
- Cucchiara B, Sinson G, Kasner S, Chalela J. Pseudo-subarachnoid hemorrhage: report of three cases and review of the literature. Neurocrit Care. 2004;1:371-4 pubmed..In contrast to prior reports, all three of our patients had a favorable outcome. ..
- Ruutiainen A, Soulen M, Tuite C, Clark T, Mondschein J, Stavropoulos S, et al. Chemoembolization and bland embolization of neuroendocrine tumor metastases to the liver. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2007;18:847-55 pubmed..Chemoembolization demonstrated trends toward improvement in TTP, symptom control, and survival. Based on these results, a multicenter prospective randomized trial is warranted. ..
- Borgmann Winter K, Rawson N, Wang H, Wang H, MacDonald M, Ozdener M, et al. Human olfactory epithelial cells generated in vitro express diverse neuronal characteristics. Neuroscience. 2009;158:642-53 pubmed publisher..Their ready availability from living humans thus provides a new tool to link functional and molecular features of neural cells with clinical characteristics of individual living patients. ..
- Tapia I, Karamessinis L, Bandla P, Huang J, Kelly A, Pepe M, et al. Polysomnographic values in children undergoing puberty: pediatric vs. adult respiratory rules in adolescents. Sleep. 2008;31:1737-44 pubmed..Adult or pediatric respiratory rules can be used for scoring polysomnograms in asymptomatic subjects approaching adulthood. Further studies are needed in symptomatic children within this age group. ..
- Srinivas S, Morrison A, Andrela C, Elovitz M. Allelic variations in angiogenic pathway genes are associated with preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;202:445.e1-11 pubmed publisher..17; P=.04) single nucleotide polymorphisms were associated with preeclampsia. Allelic variations in the fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 and vascular endothelial growth factor C genes are associated with preeclampsia in both ethnic groups. ..
- Toll A, Fabius D, Hyslop T, Pequignot E, DiMarino A, Infantolino A, et al. Prognostic significance of high-grade dysplasia in colorectal adenomas. Colorectal Dis. 2011;13:370-3 pubmed publisher..The study demonstrates that patients who have a colorectal adenoma > 1 cm with HGD may be at high risk of developing further adenomas with HGD or carcinoma. Close follow up is warranted. ..
- Palisano R, Orlin M, Chiarello L, Oeffinger D, Polansky M, Maggs J, et al. Determinants of intensity of participation in leisure and recreational activities by youth with cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011;92:1468-76 pubmed publisher..The unexplained variance suggests that the model should include other determinants, such as physical accessibility and availability of transportation and community leisure and recreational activities. ..
- Wang L, Morizono H, Lin J, Bell P, Jones D, McMenamin D, et al. Preclinical evaluation of a clinical candidate AAV8 vector for ornithine transcarbamylase (OTC) deficiency reveals functional enzyme from each persisting vector genome. Mol Genet Metab. 2012;105:203-11 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the clinical candidate vector we have developed has the potential to achieve therapeutic effects in OTCD patients. ..
- TANNEN R, Xie D, Wang X, Yu M, Weiner M. A new "Comparative Effectiveness" assessment strategy using the THIN database: comparison of the cardiac complications of pioglitazone and rosiglitazone. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013;22:86-97 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, this study demonstrates the feasibility and advantages of a new strategy to perform reliable "CER" using an EMR database. ..
- Cideciyan A, Jacobson S, Beltran W, Sumaroka A, Swider M, Iwabe S, et al. Human retinal gene therapy for Leber congenital amaurosis shows advancing retinal degeneration despite enduring visual improvement. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E517-25 pubmed publisher..The effects of gene augmentation therapy are complex and suggest a need for a combinatorial strategy in RPE65-LCA to not only improve function in the short term but also slow retinal degeneration in the long term...
- Wade R, Cronholm P, Fein J, Forke C, Davis M, Harkins Schwarz M, et al. Household and community-level Adverse Childhood Experiences and adult health outcomes in a diverse urban population. Child Abuse Negl. 2016;52:135-45 pubmed publisher..Our findings related to the modifying effect of SES may provide additional insight into the complex relationship between poverty and childhood adversity. ..
- Kang J, Zhang D, Restle D, Kallel F, Acker M, Atluri P, et al. Reduced continuous-flow left ventricular assist device speed does not decrease von Willebrand factor degradation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;151:1747-1754.e1 pubmed publisher..Reduced LVAD speed (within the clinical operational range) did not significantly decrease vWF degradation in a mock circulatory loop with human blood. During bleeding events, reduced LVAD speed, itself, may not diminish vWF degradation. ..
- Cadacio C, Nachamkin I. A Novel Needle-Free Blood Draw Device for Sample Collection From Short Peripheral Catheters. J Infus Nurs. 2017;40:156-162 pubmed publisher..Further studies to assess the overall utility of the PIVO device are warranted. ..
- Lim H, Collins S, Resneck J, Bolognia J, Hodge J, Rohrer T, et al. Contribution of health care factors to the burden of skin disease in the United States. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017;76:1151-1160.e21 pubmed publisher..These findings serve as a critical foundation for future discussions on the clinical importance of skin disease and the value of dermatologic care across the population. ..
- Fehr J, McBride M, Boulet J, Murray D. The Simulation-Based Assessment of Pediatric Rapid Response Teams. J Pediatr. 2017;188:258-262.e1 pubmed publisher..The multiple scenario assessment provided a moderately reliable team score. The greater scores achieved by PICU intensivist-in-training-led teams provides some evidence to support the validity of the assessment. ..
- Green A, Budagyan K, Hayer K, Reed M, Savani M, Wertheim G, et al. Cytosine Deaminase APOBEC3A Sensitizes Leukemia Cells to Inhibition of the DNA Replication Checkpoint. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4579-4588 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(17); 4579-88. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Larijani G, Gratz I, Minassian S, Hughes D, Afshar M, Karayannis B. Comparative evaluation of the neuromuscular and cardiovascular effects of pipecuronium, pancuronium, atracurium, and vecuronium under isoflurane anesthesia. Pharmacotherapy. 1992;12:278-82 pubmed..Although pipecuronium's neuromuscular-blocking effect is similar to that of pancuronium, its lack of cardiovascular effects more closely resembles that of vecuronium. ..
- Cesano A, Hoxie J, Lange B, Nowell P, Bishop J, Santoli D. The severe combined immunodeficient (SCID) mouse as a model for human myeloid leukemias. Oncogene. 1992;7:827-36 pubmed..Overall, these data indicate that the SCID mouse may represent a useful animal model for human myeloid leukemias and for the development of new pharmacological and molecular approaches to therapy. ..
- Bales C, Kotapka M, Loevner L, Al Rawi M, Weinstein G, Hurst R, et al. Craniofacial resection of advanced juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2002;128:1071-8 pubmed..A combined craniofacial approach is appropriate for juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma that extends intracranially. Complete tumor removal with acceptable morbidity can be expected. ..
- Cairns N, Armstrong R. Quantification of the pathological changes in the temporal lobe of patients with a novel neurofilamentopathy: neurofilament inclusion disease (NID). Clin Neuropathol. 2004;23:107-12 pubmed
- Nyirjesy P, McIntosh M, Gattermeir D, Schumacher R, Steinmetz J, Joffrion J. The effects of intravaginal clindamycin and metronidazole therapy on vaginal lactobacilli in patients with bacterial vaginosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006;194:1277-82 pubmed..0001 for all comparisons). Clindamycin and metronidazole promoted similar levels of restoration of vaginal lactobacilli at 21 to 30 days. ..
- Neofytos D, Horn D, De Simone J. Rhodotorula mucilaginosa catheter-related fungemia in a patient with sickle cell disease: case presentation and literature review. South Med J. 2007;100:198-200 pubmed..Rhodotorula mucilaginosa can be a significant, recalcitrant pathogen in immunocompromised patients and prompt treatment should be instituted. ..
- Basu S, Chryssikos T, Houseni M, Scot Malay D, Shah J, Zhuang H, et al. Potential role of FDG PET in the setting of diabetic neuro-osteoarthropathy: can it differentiate uncomplicated Charcot's neuroarthropathy from osteomyelitis and soft-tissue infection?. Nucl Med Commun. 2007;28:465-72 pubmed..The results support a valuable role of FDG PET in the setting of Charcot's neuroarthropathy by reliably differentiating it from osteomyelitis both in general and when foot ulcer is present. ..
- Loren A, Porter D. Donor leukocyte infusions for the treatment of relapsed acute leukemia after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2008;41:483-93 pubmed..This review discusses the rationale, biology, complications and future applications of DLI in acute leukemia patients after allogeneic SCT. ..
- Weinstein G, O Malley B, Snyder W, Sherman E, Quon H. Transoral robotic surgery: radical tonsillectomy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007;133:1220-6 pubmed..Radical tonsillectomy using TORS is a new technique that offers excellent access for resection of carcinomas of the tonsil with acceptable acute morbidity. Future reports will focus on long-term oncologic and functional outcomes. ..
- Roullet M, Sargent R, Pasha T, Cajiao I, Elstrom R, Smith T, et al. ZAP70 expression assessed by immunohistochemistry on peripheral blood: a simple prognostic assay for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2007;15:471-6 pubmed..Importantly, IHC analysis of ZAP70 in PB is a simple, reliable, robust assay that may have a valuable role in the routine clinical laboratory assessment of patients with CLL. ..
- Elo I, Culhane J, Kohler I, O CAMPO P, Burke J, Messer L, et al. Neighbourhood deprivation and small-for-gestational-age term births in the United States. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009;23:87-96 pubmed publisher..15 [95% CI 1.08, 1.22] for non-Hispanic whites and 1.09 [95% CI 1.05, 1.14] for non-Hispanic blacks. Thus, neighbourhood deprivation was weakly associated with term SGA among both non-Hispanic whites and non-Hispanic blacks. ..
- Marmura M, Abbas M, Ashkenazi A. Dynamic mechanical (brush) allodynia in cluster headache: a prevalence study in a tertiary headache clinic. J Headache Pain. 2009;10:255-8 pubmed publisher..chronic CH), disease duration or disease severity. In conclusion, BA was common in this CH patient sample. The therapeutic implications of the presence of BA in CH need to be further studied. ..
- Coyne J, Thombs B, Hagedoorn M. Ain't necessarily so: review and critique of recent meta-analyses of behavioral medicine interventions in health psychology. Health Psychol. 2010;29:107-16 pubmed publisher..Results should serve as a wake up call to prospective authors, reviewers, and end-users of meta-analyses now appearing in the literature. ..
- Tan A, Hoffman B, Rosas S. Patient perception of risk factors associated with chronic kidney disease morbidity and mortality. Ethn Dis. 2010;20:106-10 pubmed..Access to CKD education needs to be tailored to the health literacy status of each patient. Educational interventional research studies are needed in early-stage CKD to determine impact on clinical outcomes. ..
- Coslett H, Medina J, Kliot D, Burkey A. Mental motor imagery indexes pain: the hand laterality task. Eur J Pain. 2010;14:1007-13 pubmed publisher..The hand laterality task may supplement the assessment of subjects with chronic arm/shoulder pain. ..
- Levin B. Horizontal alveolar ridge augmentation: the importance of space maintenance. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2011;32:12-6, 18-21; quiz 22, 34 pubmed
- Beidas R, Edmunds J, Marcus S, Kendall P. Training and consultation to promote implementation of an empirically supported treatment: a randomized trial. Psychiatr Serv. 2012;63:660-5 pubmed publisher..The inclusion of ongoing consultation was critical to influencing therapist adherence and skill. Implications for implementation science and mental health services research are discussed. ..
- Parvizi J, McKenzie J, Cashman J. Diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection using synovial C-reactive protein. J Arthroplasty. 2012;27:12-6 pubmed publisher..0001). The sensitivity was 85% with 95% specificity at a threshold of 9.5 mg/L. The area under the curve was 0.92. We believe that synovial CRP assay holds great promise as a diagnostic marker for PJI. ..
- Hubosky S, Boman B, Charles S, Bibbo M, Bagley D. Ureteroscopic management of upper tract urothelial carcinoma (UTUC) in patients with Lynch Syndrome (hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer syndrome). BJU Int. 2013;112:813-9 pubmed publisher..Ureteroscopic laser ablation offers a good renal preservation rate with reasonable cancer control in patients willing to undergo endoscopic surveillance. Development of new bladder tumours is common. ..
- Dakanalis A, Timko C, Clerici M, Zanetti M, Riva G. Comprehensive examination of the trans-diagnostic cognitive behavioral model of eating disorders in males. Eat Behav. 2014;15:63-7 pubmed publisher..Potential implications for understanding and targeting eating disturbances in men are discussed. ..
- Sun J, Knowles M, Patel F, Frank D, Heeren T, Chilton M. Childhood Adversity and Adult Reports of Food Insecurity Among Households With Children. Am J Prev Med. 2016;50:561-572 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive policy interventions incorporating nutrition assistance and behavioral health may address intergenerational transmission of disadvantage. ..
- Johnson T, Hickey R, Switzer G, Miller E, Winger D, Nguyen M, et al. The Impact of Cognitive Stressors in the Emergency Department on Physician Implicit Racial Bias. Acad Emerg Med. 2016;23:297-305 pubmed publisher..Physicians in the ED should be aware of how cognitive stressors may exacerbate implicit racial bias. ..
- Lewis F, Chernak E, Goldman E, Li Y, Karem K, Damon I, et al. Ocular vaccinia infection in laboratory worker, Philadelphia, 2004. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:134-7 pubmed..Vaccination should continue to be recommended, but laboratories with unvaccinated workers should also implement more stringent biosafety practices. ..
- Finlay E, Stopfer J, Burlingame E, Evans K, Nathanson K, Weber B, et al. Factors determining dissemination of results and uptake of genetic testing in families with known BRCA1/2 mutations. Genet Test. 2008;12:81-91 pubmed publisher..Further research is necessary to ensure that family members understand their risk and the potential benefits of genetic counseling. ..
- McGillicuddy F, de la Llera Moya M, Hinkle C, Joshi M, Chiquoine E, Billheimer J, et al. Inflammation impairs reverse cholesterol transport in vivo. Circulation. 2009;119:1135-45 pubmed publisher..Attenuation of RCT and HDL efflux function, independent of HDL cholesterol levels, may contribute to atherosclerosis in chronic inflammatory states including obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Teubner Rhodes S, Mishler A, Corbett R, Andreu L, Sanz Torrent M, Trueswell J, et al. The effects of bilingualism on conflict monitoring, cognitive control, and garden-path recovery. Cognition. 2016;150:213-31 pubmed publisher..Because the overall task benefits were observed for conflict and non-conflict trials, bilinguals' advantage may reflect increased cognitive flexibility. ..
- Glosser G, Salvucci A, Chiaravalloti N. Naming and recognizing famous faces in temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology. 2003;61:81-6 pubmed..Results are consistent with the hypothesized role of lateralized anterior temporal lobe structures in facial recognition and naming of unique entities. ..
- Koenigsberg R, Vakil N, Hong T, Htaik T, Faerber E, Maiorano T, et al. Evaluation of platybasia with MR imaging. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2005;26:89-92 pubmed..At present, evaluation of the brain and skull more commonly involves CT and MR imaging. We evaluated a new MR imaging method of evaluating platybasia...
- Ufberg J, Bushra J, Patel D, Wong E, Karras D, Kueppers F. A new pepsin assay to detect pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents among newly intubated patients. Am J Emerg Med. 2004;22:612-4 pubmed..Pepstatin halted pepsin activity in all positive samples, ensuring that positive results were due to pepsin. A pepsin-specific assay is extremely reliable for detecting gastric contents in humans. ..
- Rioux L, Gelber E, Parand L, Kazi H, Yeh J, Wintering R, et al. Characterization of olfactory bulb glomeruli in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2005;77:229-39 pubmed..This study showed no evidence of major structural alteration of the synapse between the olfactory epithelium and bulb in schizophrenia. ..
- Krejza J, Kochanowicz J, Mariak Z, Lewko J, Melhem E. Middle cerebral artery spasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage: detection with transcranial color-coded duplex US. Radiology. 2005;236:621-9 pubmed..Use of MCA velocity measurements and V(MCA)/V(ICA) ratio can increase the accuracy of Doppler US. ..
- Brown T, Quain R, Troxel A, Gelfand J. The epidemiology of sunburn in the US population in 2003. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006;55:577-83 pubmed..33). The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System does not include data on skin type or sun protection behavior; therefore the impact of these factors was not assessed. Sunburn occurs at a very high rate in the United States. ..
- Nelson D, Bellamy S, Clothier B, Macones G, Nachamkin I, Ruffin A, et al. Characteristics and pregnancy outcomes of pregnant women asymptomatic for bacterial vaginosis. Matern Child Health J. 2008;12:216-22 pubmed..For this study, 1916 pregnant women who were 12 weeks' gestation or less were enrolled. Interviewers facilitated vaginal swab collection for BV assessment, and completed the baseline questionnaire. BV was identified by Gram stain...
- Woodworth B, Prince A, Chiu A, Cohen N, Schlosser R, Bolger W, et al. Spontaneous CSF leaks: a paradigm for definitive repair and management of intracranial hypertension. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008;138:715-20 pubmed publisher..To report our outcomes with the repair of spontaneous cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) leaks and to demonstrate how management of underlying intracranial hypertension improves outcomes...
- Kohler C, Martin E, Stolar N, Barrett F, Verma R, Brensinger C, et al. Static posed and evoked facial expressions of emotions in schizophrenia. Schizophr Res. 2008;105:49-60 pubmed publisher..Expression of emotions in schizophrenia could not be explained by impaired experience. Future directions may include automated measurement, remediation of expressions and early detection of schizophrenia. ..
- Airoldi J, Pereira L, Cotter A, Gomez R, Berghella V, Prasertcharoensuk W, et al. Amniocentesis prior to physical exam-indicated cerclage in women with midtrimester cervical dilation: results from the expectant management compared to Physical Exam-indicated Cerclage international cohort study. Am J Perinatol. 2009;26:63-8 pubmed publisher..90). The performance of an amniocentesis prior to cerclage did not independently contribute to PTB less than 28 weeks...
- Mehta N, Azfar R, Shin D, Neimann A, Troxel A, Gelfand J. Patients with severe psoriasis are at increased risk of cardiovascular mortality: cohort study using the General Practice Research Database. Eur Heart J. 2010;31:1000-6 pubmed publisher..Additional studies are needed to determine the mechanism of this association and the impact that control of psoriasis has on CV risk. ..
- Mennella J. Ontogeny of taste preferences: basic biology and implications for health. Am J Clin Nutr. 2014;99:704S-11S pubmed publisher..Early-life experiences with healthy tastes and flavors may go a long way toward promoting healthy eating, which could have a significant impact in addressing the many chronic illnesses associated with poor food choice. ..
- Ran M, Chui C, Wong I, Mao W, Lin F, Liu B, et al. Family caregivers and outcome of people with schizophrenia in rural China: 14-year follow-up study. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2016;51:513-20 pubmed publisher..The critical role of family caregiving should be incorporated in the planning and delivering of mental health policies and community-based mental health services. ..
- Haberland Carrodeguas C, Fornatora M, Reich R, Freedman P. Detection of human papillomavirus DNA in oral inverted ductal papillomas. J Clin Pathol. 2003;56:910-3 pubmed..These are the first documented cases of oral IDP to demonstrate positivity for HPV DNA and also to show histological features of HPV infection. ..
- Neuhuber B, Timothy Himes B, Shumsky J, Gallo G, Fischer I. Axon growth and recovery of function supported by human bone marrow stromal cells in the injured spinal cord exhibit donor variations. Brain Res. 2005;1035:73-85 pubmed..To qualify MSC lots for future clinical application, such notable differences in donor or lot-lot efficacy highlight the need for establishing adequate characterization, including the development of relevant efficacy assays. ..
- Russo G, Zamparelli A, Howard C, Minimo C, Bellan C, Carillo G, et al. Expression of cell cycle-regulated proteins pRB2/p130, p107, E2F4, p27, and pCNA in salivary gland tumors: prognostic and diagnostic implications. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:3265-73 pubmed..Additionally, E2F4 showed an identical localization pattern as to that of pRb2/p130. These data suggests an important role for pRb2/p130 in the pathogenesis and progression of certain salivary gland cancers. ..
- Van Deerlin V, Leverenz J, Bekris L, Bird T, Yuan W, Elman L, et al. TARDBP mutations in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis with TDP-43 neuropathology: a genetic and histopathological analysis. Lancet Neurol. 2008;7:409-16 pubmed publisher..National Institutes of Health (AG10124, AG17586, AG005136-22, PO1 AG14382), Department of Veterans Affairs, Friedrich-Baur Stiftung (0017/2007), US Public Health Service, ALS Association, and Fundació 'la Caixa'. ..
- Liu J, Ahiekpor A, Li L, Li X, Arbuthnot P, Kew M, et al. Increased expression of ErbB-2 in liver is associated with hepatitis B x antigen and shorter survival in patients with liver cancer. Int J Cancer. 2009;125:1894-901 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ErbB-2/beta-catenin up-regulation contributes importantly to the mechanism of HBxAg mediated hepatocellular growth. ..
- Lichtenstein G, Targan S, Dubinsky M, Rotter J, Barken D, Princen F, et al. Combination of genetic and quantitative serological immune markers are associated with complicated Crohn's disease behavior. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:2488-96 pubmed publisher..801; 95% confidence interval: 0.757-0.846). This model combining serologic and NOD2 genetic markers may provide physicians with a tool to assess the probability of patients developing a complication over the course of CD. ..
- Finkelman B, Rubinstein W, Friedman S, Friebel T, Dubitsky S, Schonberger N, et al. Breast and ovarian cancer risk and risk reduction in Jewish BRCA1/2 mutation carriers. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:1321-8 pubmed publisher..In particular, 6174delT carriers had a lower risk of breast cancer. This finding requires additional confirmation in larger prospective and population-based cohort studies before being integrated into clinical care. ..