Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on adolescent in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Locale: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Publications441 found, 100 shown here
- Fluchel M, Horsman J, Furlong W, Castillo L, Alfonz Y, Barr R. Self and proxy-reported health status and health-related quality of life in survivors of childhood cancer in Uruguay. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008;50:838-43 pubmed..Survivors of ALL have better HRQL than survivors of brain tumors, mirroring experience elsewhere. The level of inter-rater agreement is related to the degree of familiarity of the pair-members of respondents with each other. ..
- Seeber B, Sammel M, Fan X, Gerton G, Shaunik A, Chittams J, et al. Panel of markers can accurately predict endometriosis in a subset of patients. Fertil Steril. 2008;89:1073-81 pubmed..Using the serum concentration of four markers in a two-tiered decision rule, nearly half of the subjects in this population would have been diagnosed (and could have avoided surgery) with 93% accuracy. ..
- Jacobson S, Aleman T, Cideciyan A, Heon E, Golczak M, Beltran W, et al. Human cone photoreceptor dependence on RPE65 isomerase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:15123-8 pubmed
- Lebed B, Packer M, Husmann D, Zaontz M. Results and complications of adolescent varicocele repair with intraoperative sodium morrhuate sclerotherapy. J Urol. 2008;180:1837-41 pubmed publisher..Outcomes of loupe assisted varicocelectomy appear to be improved compared to those in previous studies, alluding to an advantage in the addition of sclerotherapy. ..
- Jacobson S, Cideciyan A, Ratnakaram R, Heon E, Schwartz S, Roman A, et al. Gene therapy for leber congenital amaurosis caused by RPE65 mutations: safety and efficacy in 15 children and adults followed up to 3 years. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012;130:9-24 pubmed publisher..Our results point to specific treatment strategies for subsequent phases. Gene therapy for inherited retinal disease has the potential to become a future part of clinical practice. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00481546. ..
- Laskin B, Denburg M, Furth S, Diorio D, Goebel J, Davies S, et al. BK viremia precedes hemorrhagic cystitis in children undergoing allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2013;19:1175-82 pubmed publisher..If therapeutic strategies are found to be effective, these observations may support screening for BK viremia after HSCT, as currently recommended for other DNA viruses. ..
- Hook C, Farah M. Look again: effects of brain images and mind-brain dualism on lay evaluations of research. J Cogn Neurosci. 2013;25:1397-405 pubmed publisher..These results, taken together with other recent null findings, suggest that brain images are less powerful than has been argued. ..
- Izumi K, Housam R, Kapadia C, Stallings V, Medne L, Shaikh T, et al. Endocrine phenotype of 6q16.1-q21 deletion involving SIM1 and Prader-Willi syndrome-like features. Am J Med Genet A. 2013;161A:3137-43 pubmed publisher..Hence, we suggest that detailed endocrine evaluation and longitudinal endocrine follow up be performed in individuals with proximal interstitial 6q deletion involving SIM1. ..
- Bleakley A, Romer D, Jamieson P. Violent film characters' portrayal of alcohol, sex, and tobacco-related behaviors. Pediatrics. 2014;133:71-7 pubmed publisher..The on-screen clustering of violence with other risk behaviors is cause for concern and worthy of additional research. ..
- Vuillerot C, Rippert P, Kinet V, Renders A, Jain M, Waite M, et al. Rasch analysis of the motor function measure in patients with congenital muscle dystrophy and congenital myopathy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014;95:2086-95 pubmed publisher..The Rs-MFM25(CDM) can be considered a clinically relevant linear scale in each of its 3 domains and may be soon reliably used for assessment in congenital disorders of the muscle. ..
- McDonald J, Graves J, Waldman A, Lotze T, Schreiner T, Belman A, et al. A case-control study of dietary salt intake in pediatric-onset multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2016;6:87-92 pubmed publisher..05, 95% CI 0.67, 1.64; p=0.84). Our results show no strong association between dietary salt intake and pediatric-onset MS risk, suggesting that salt intake may not play a prominent role in susceptibility to MS in children. ..
- Kuchenbaecker K, McGuffog L, Barrowdale D, Lee A, Soucy P, Dennis J, et al. Evaluation of Polygenic Risk Scores for Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk Prediction in BRCA1 and BRCA2 Mutation Carriers. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017;109: pubmed publisher..BC and OC PRS are predictive of cancer risk in BRCA1 and BRCA2 carriers. Incorporation of the PRS into risk prediction models has promise to better inform decisions on cancer risk management. ..
- Liu Y, Easton J, Shao Y, Maciaszek J, Wang Z, Wilkinson M, et al. The genomic landscape of pediatric and young adult T-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1211-1218 pubmed publisher..This genomic landscape provides a logical framework for the development of faithful genetic models and new therapeutic approaches. ..
- Singh A, Nouri M, Shields C, Shields J, Perez N. Treatment of retinal capillary hemangioma. Ophthalmology. 2002;109:1799-806 pubmed..To report on the methods of treatment and the visual outcome of eyes with retinal capillary hemangioma (RCH)...
- Vitaliani R, Mason W, Ances B, Zwerdling T, Jiang Z, Dalmau J. Paraneoplastic encephalitis, psychiatric symptoms, and hypoventilation in ovarian teratoma. Ann Neurol. 2005;58:594-604 pubmed..Recognition of this disorder is important because despite the severity of the symptoms, patients usually recover. The location and function of the isolated antigen suggest that the disorder is directly mediated by antibodies...
- Baren J, Boudreaux E, Brenner B, Cydulka R, Rowe B, Clark S, et al. Randomized controlled trial of emergency department interventions to improve primary care follow-up for patients with acute asthma. Chest. 2006;129:257-65 pubmed..An intervention including free medication, transportation vouchers, and appointment assistance significantly increased the likelihood that discharged asthma patients obtained primary care follow-up but did not impact long-term outcomes. ..
- Jadico S, Huebner A, McDonald McGinn D, Zackai E, Young T. Ocular phenotype correlations in patients with TWIST versus FGFR3 genetic mutations. J AAPOS. 2006;10:435-44 pubmed..Patients with TWIST gene mutations may have more ophthalmic abnormalities, including more strabismus, ptosis, NLDO, astigmatism, vertical deviations, and amblyopia compared with patients with FGFR3 gene mutations. ..
- Reisner I, Shofer F, Nance M. Behavioral assessment of child-directed canine aggression. Inj Prev. 2007;13:348-51 pubmed..There is a high rate of behavioral abnormalities (aggression and anxiety) in this canine population. Common calming measures (neutering, training) were not routinely effective deterrents. ..
- Raikin S, Elias I, Nazarian L. Intrasheath subluxation of the peroneal tendons. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008;90:992-9 pubmed publisher..Surgical repair of tendon tears combined with a peroneal groove-deepening procedure with retinacular reefing is a reproducibly effective procedure for this condition. ..
- Meyers W, McKechnie A, Philippon M, Horner M, Zoga A, Devon O. Experience with "sports hernia" spanning two decades. Ann Surg. 2008;248:656-65 pubmed publisher..Better understanding and recognition of the injuries has led to more satisfactory care and returned many athletes to successful careers, which has had a major impact on modern sport. ..
- Glat P, Kubat W, Hsu J, Copty T, Burkey B, Davis W, et al. Randomized clinical study of SilvaSorb gel in comparison to Silvadene silver sulfadiazine cream in the management of partial-thickness burns. J Burn Care Res. 2009;30:262-7 pubmed publisher..The reduction of pain and improved overall patient satisfaction with the use of SilvaSorb Gel compared with Silvadene indicates an important role for SilvaSorb Gel in treatment of partial-thickness burns in a pediatric population. ..
- Malone R, Waheed A. The role of antipsychotics in the management of behavioural symptoms in children and adolescents with autism. Drugs. 2009;69:535-48 pubmed publisher..Drug administration should be initiated at low dosages and subsequent dosage changes should be based on tolerability and clinical response. ..
- Mennella J, Pepino M, Duke F, Reed D. Psychophysical dissection of genotype effects on human bitter perception. Chem Senses. 2011;36:161-7 pubmed publisher..Human PROP sensitivity is determined by the combination of each of these 3 polymorphisms within the TAS2R38 gene. ..
- Shashaty M, Meyer N, Localio A, Gallop R, Bellamy S, Holena D, et al. African American race, obesity, and blood product transfusion are risk factors for acute kidney injury in critically ill trauma patients. J Crit Care. 2012;27:496-504 pubmed publisher..The findings of African American race, obesity, and blood product administration as independent risk factors for AKI deserve further study to elucidate underlying mechanisms. ..
- Lo Re V, Volk J, Newcomb C, Yang Y, Freeman C, Hennessy S, et al. Risk of hip fracture associated with hepatitis C virus infection and hepatitis C/human immunodeficiency virus coinfection. Hepatology. 2012;56:1688-98 pubmed publisher..HCV-monoinfected patients had an increased risk of hip fracture, compared to uninfected individuals. ..
- Beacham B, Deatrick J. Children with chronic conditions: perspectives on condition management. J Pediatr Nurs. 2015;30:25-35 pubmed publisher..Future studies of this phenomenon comparing child and parent perspectives would further our understanding of the influence of family management. ..
- Lau K, William Gaynor J, Fuller S, Karen A Smoots -, Shah M. Long-term atrial and ventricular epicardial pacemaker lead survival after cardiac operations in pediatric patients with congenital heart disease. Heart Rhythm. 2015;12:566-573 pubmed publisher..Epicardial leads had acceptable longevity despite cardiac operations for complex CHD, suggesting the long-term reliability of this pacing method. ..
- Mitsnefes M, Pierce C, Flynn J, Samuels J, Dionne J, Furth S, et al. Can office blood pressure readings predict masked hypertension?. Pediatr Nephrol. 2016;31:163-6 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that masked hypertension is unlikely if the casual BP is found to be in the low normal range. ..
- Haas A, Silva Boghossian C, Colombo A, Albandar J, Oppermann R, Rosing C, et al. Predictors of clinical outcomes after periodontal treatment of aggressive periodontitis: 12-month randomized trial. Braz Oral Res. 2016;30: pubmed publisher..Moreover, the presence of multiple periodontal pathogens may predict challenges in achieving a favorable outcome for aggressive periodontitis. ..
- Ahmad N, Dimascio J, Knowlton R, Tasman W. Stickler syndrome. A mutation in the nonhelical 3' end of type II procollagen gene. Arch Ophthalmol. 1995;113:1454-7 pubmed..The location of this premature stop codon in the far end of the nonhelical 3' end of the gene indicates that a truncated C-propeptide of at least 84 amino acid residues is inadequate for the functional gene product. ..
- Siqueland L, Rynn M, Diamond G. Cognitive behavioral and attachment based family therapy for anxious adolescents: Phase I and II studies. J Anxiety Disord. 2005;19:361-81 pubmed..Both CBT and CBT-ABFT appear to be promising treatments for anxious adolescents and more treatment development and evaluation is needed. ..
- McClarren J, Donnenfeld A, Ravnan J. Prenatal diagnosis of an unexpected interstitial 22q11.2 deletion causing truncus arteriosus and thymic hypoplasia in a ring 22 chromosome derived from a maternally inherited paracentric inversion. Prenat Diagn. 2006;26:1212-5 pubmed..The apparent interstitial deletion was actually a terminal deletion in a maternally inherited rearranged chromosome 22. ..
- Kenniston J, Beredjiklian P, Bozentka D. Osteochondritis dissecans of the capitellum in fraternal twins: case report. J Hand Surg Am. 2008;33:1380-3 pubmed publisher..This report provides evidence to support the idea of genetic predisposition for OCD lesions...
- Beslow L, Ichord R, Zimmerman R, Smith S, Licht D. Role of diffusion MRI in diagnosis of spinal cord infarction in children. Neuropediatrics. 2008;39:188-91 pubmed publisher..We describe four children with ASA infarction after minor trauma. DWI was performed in all cases and confirmed the clinical diagnosis. ..
- Berry A, Zderic S, Carr M. Methylphenidate for giggle incontinence. J Urol. 2009;182:2028-32 pubmed publisher..Giggle incontinence with no other urinary symptoms is a rare form of incontinence. Methylphenidate was a viable option for giggle incontinence but it was not accepted by all families. ..
- Meyers K, Falkner B. Hypertension in children and adolescents: an approach to management of complex hyper-tension in pediatric patients. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2009;11:315-22 pubmed..This review focuses on the clinical management of specific types of secondary hypertension in pediatric patients. ..
- Lynde C, Krell J, Korman N, Mathes B. Immune response to pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in adults with chronic plaque psoriasis treated with alefacept. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011;65:799-806 pubmed publisher..This was an open-label study with no comparator. Most patients mounted immune responses to PPV; increases in antibody titers in these patients were consistent with those seen in healthy individuals. ..
- Manvelian G, Daniels S, Gibofsky A. A phase 2 study evaluating the efficacy and safety of a novel, proprietary, nano-formulated, lower dose oral diclofenac. Pain Med. 2012;13:1491-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest lower dose nano-formulated NSAIDs could be effective for acute pain and may potentially improve safety and tolerability as a result of using a lower overall dose. ..
- Eichenfield L, Tom W, Chamlin S, Feldman S, Hanifin J, Simpson E, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: section 1. Diagnosis and assessment of atopic dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2014;70:338-51 pubmed publisher..Known risk factors for the development of disease are also reviewed. ..
- Schwartz S, Aleman T, Cideciyan A, Windsor E, Sumaroka A, Roman A, et al. Disease expression in Usher syndrome caused by VLGR1 gene mutation (USH2C) and comparison with USH2A phenotype. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2005;46:734-43 pubmed..Intrafamilial and interfamilial variation in retinal severity in USH2A, however, suggests that genetic or nongenetic modifiers may be involved in the disease expression. ..
- Shah S, Hodinka R, Turnquist J, Elliott M, Coffin S. Cerebrospinal fluid mononuclear cell predominance is not related to symptom duration in children with enteroviral meningitis. J Pediatr. 2006;148:118-21 pubmed..These findings suggest that factors other than symptom duration influence the composition and evolution of the CSF white blood cell response to enteroviral infection...
- Mato A, Riccio B, Qin L, Heitjan D, Carroll M, Loren A, et al. A predictive model for the detection of tumor lysis syndrome during AML induction therapy. Leuk Lymphoma. 2006;47:877-83 pubmed..This analysis may lay the groundwork for the development of the first evidence-based guidelines for TLS monitoring and management in this patient population. ..
- Giarelli E, Bernhardt B, Mack R, Pyeritz R. Adolescents' transition to self-management of a chronic genetic disorder. Qual Health Res. 2008;18:441-57 pubmed publisher..Transition to self-management is part of an evolving model of participation in life-long surveillance. ..
- Malhotra P, Sharma P, Fishman M, Grumbine F, Tholey R, Dam V, et al. Clinical, radiographic, and audiometric predictors in conservative management of vestibular schwannoma. Otol Neurotol. 2009;30:507-14 pubmed publisher..Increased tumor size at presentation also may indicate the same, although no threshold could be achieved. ..
- Brothers J, Gaynor J, Jacobs J, Caldarone C, Jegatheeswaran A, Jacobs M. The registry of anomalous aortic origin of the coronary artery of the Congenital Heart Surgeons' Society. Cardiol Young. 2010;20 Suppl 3:50-8 pubmed publisher..In this report, we describe the creation and design of the Registry of Anomalous Aortic Origin of the Coronary Artery. Data from the registry will be published at a later date...
- Glazer A, Wolf A, Gorby N. Postpartum contraception: needs vs. reality. Contraception. 2011;83:238-41 pubmed publisher..However, significantly fewer reported continued contraceptive use at 4-6 months postpartum. Initiation of postplacental IUD placement would be acceptable and would increase contraceptive use at 6 months postpartum. ..
- Schelleman H, Brensinger C, Bilker W, Hennessy S. Antidepressant-warfarin interaction and associated gastrointestinal bleeding risk in a case-control study. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e21447 pubmed publisher..However, the elevated risk with mirtazapine suggests that a drug-drug interaction may not have been responsible for all of the observed increased risk. ..
- Bhalala U, Nishisaki A, McQueen D, Bird G, Morrison W, Nadkarni V, et al. Change in regional (somatic) near-infrared spectroscopy is not a useful indicator of clinically detectable low cardiac output in children after surgery for congenital heart defects. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2012;13:529-34 pubmed publisher..30-0.60], renal 0.51 [95% confidence interval 0.37-0.65]). Splanchnic and/or renal hypoxemia as detected by near-infrared spectroscopy may not be an accurate indicator of low cardiac output after surgery for congenital heart defects. ..
- Prashad P, Marcus C, Brown L, Dlugos D, Feygin T, Harding B, et al. Brain tumor presenting as somnambulism in an adolescent. Pediatr Neurol. 2013;49:209-12 pubmed publisher..Sleepwalking is typically a benign and self-limited non-rapid eye movement parasomnia of childhood...
- Laskin B, Nehus E, Goebel J, Furth S, Davies S, Jodele S. Estimated versus measured glomerular filtration rate in children before hematopoietic cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2014;20:2056-61 pubmed publisher..However, all formulas had decreased sensitivity to detect impaired GFR. Formal measurement of kidney function should be considered in children and young adults who need an accurate assessment of kidney function before HCT. ..
- Detre J, Samuels O, Alsop D, Gonzalez At J, Kasner S, Raps E. Noninvasive magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of cerebral blood flow with acetazolamide challenge in patients with cerebrovascular stenosis. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1999;10:870-5 pubmed..J. Magn. Reson. Imaging 1999;10:870-875. ..
- Kelly A, Ng D, Ferry R, Grimberg A, Koo McCoy S, Thornton P, et al. Acute insulin responses to leucine in children with the hyperinsulinism/hyperammonemia syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86:3724-8 pubmed..This suppression suggests that protein-induced hypoglycemia in hyperinsulinism/hyperammonemia syndrome patients may be prevented by carbohydrate loading before protein consumption. ..
- Muller A. Mushrooms: toxins right in your own backyard. J Emerg Nurs. 2003;29:483-5 pubmed
- Lewis D, Tolosa J, Kaufmann M, Goodman M, Farrell C, Berghella V. Elective cesarean delivery and long-term motor function or ambulation status in infants with meningomyelocele. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103:469-73 pubmed..To determine if elective cesarean delivery, when compared with trial of labor, is associated with better long-term motor function or ambulation status in infants with myelomeningocele...
- Bossler A, Richards J, George C, Godmilow L, Ganguly A. Novel mutations in ENG and ACVRL1 identified in a series of 200 individuals undergoing clinical genetic testing for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia (HHT): correlation of genotype with phenotype. Hum Mutat. 2006;27:667-75 pubmed..As many of the complications of HHT disease can be prevented, a confirmed molecular diagnosis provides an opportunity for early detection of AVMs and management of the disease. ..
- Roy Ghanta S, LaRosa D, Katzka D. Atopic characteristics of adult patients with eosinophilic esophagitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008;6:531-5 pubmed publisher..Our purpose was to identify the spectrum of specific allergic sensitivities to environmental and food allergens within a series of adult patients with EE...
- Harris L, Moudgill N, Hager E, Abdollahi H, Goldstein S. Incidence of anastomotic leak in patients undergoing elective colon resection without mechanical bowel preparation: our updated experience and two-year review. Am Surg. 2009;75:828-33 pubmed..Vigilance for anastomotic leak must be maintained at all times, especially in patients with comorbidities that predispose to anastomotic leak. ..
- Gai X, Xie H, Perin J, Takahashi N, Murphy K, Wenocur A, et al. Rare structural variation of synapse and neurotransmission genes in autism. Mol Psychiatry. 2012;17:402-11 pubmed publisher..These results implicate several new variants that involve synaptic function and glutamatergic signaling processes as important contributors of ASD pathophysiology and suggest a sizable pool of additional potential ASD risk loci. ..
- Daniel E, Rao P, Ffytche T, Courtright P. Ocular hypotension and hypotony in multibacillary leprosy patients; at diagnosis, during and after completion of multidrug therapy. Indian J Lepr. 2010;82:181-8 pubmed..60 mm Hg which differed significantly (p < 0.0001) from the mean IOP of 14.9 mm Hg in those who did not have hypotension. Transient hypotension and hypotony in MB leprosy patients are associated with signs of intraocular inflammation...
- Hill R, Simpson B, Millet G, Manning J, Kilduff L. Right-left digit ratio (2D:4D) and maximal oxygen uptake. J Sports Sci. 2012;30:129-34 pubmed publisher..We suggest that low right-left 2D:4D is linked to performance in some sports because it is a proxy of high sensitivity to prenatal and maybe also circulating testosterone and high VO2(max)...
- Hockley A, Weinstein M, Borislow A, Braitman L. Photos vs silhouettes for evaluation of African American profile esthetics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012;141:161-8 pubmed publisher..Using silhouettes to evaluate patient esthetics could influence clinicians or researchers to select profiles that are flatter than the established esthetic norm. ..
- Silberstein S, Dodick D, Saper J, Huh B, Slavin K, Sharan A, et al. Safety and efficacy of peripheral nerve stimulation of the occipital nerves for the management of chronic migraine: results from a randomized, multicenter, double-blinded, controlled study. Cephalalgia. 2012;32:1165-79 pubmed publisher..Clinical trials.gov (NCT00615342). ..
- Burkhart R, Relles D, Pineda D, Gabale S, Sauter P, Rosato E, et al. Defining treatment and outcomes of hepaticojejunostomy failure following pancreaticoduodenectomy. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013;17:451-60 pubmed publisher..Surgical intervention is rarely, if ever, required. With prompt and aggressive management, a full recovery can be expected. ..
- Park J, Restrepo C, Norton R, Mandel S, Sharkey P, Parvizi J. Common peroneal nerve palsy following total knee arthroplasty: prognostic factors and course of recovery. J Arthroplasty. 2013;28:1538-42 pubmed publisher..2%) had incomplete nerve palsy, twenty four (75%) of them fully recovered, while only 1 of patients with complete nerve palsy fully recovered. More severe initial injury was a negative prognostic factor for recovery of palsy (P<0.03)...
- Oshrine B, Olsen M, Heneghan M, Wertheim G, Daber R, Wilmoth D, et al. Acquired isochromosome 12p, somatic TP53 and PTEN mutations, and a germline ATM variant in an adolescent male with concurrent acute megakaryoblastic leukemia and mediastinal germ cell tumor. Cancer Genet. 2014;207:153-9 pubmed publisher..Although these represent commonly mutated genes in cancer, this combination of mutations is not typically associated with either GCT or AMKL, suggesting that these tumors may represent unique biologic entities when they co-occur. ..
- Matzon J, Lutsky K, Hoffler C, Kim N, Maltenfort M, Beredjiklian P. Risk Factors for Ulnar Nerve Instability Resulting in Transposition in Patients With Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. J Hand Surg Am. 2016;41:180-3 pubmed publisher..Identification of factors correlating to instability and the potential need for transposition can aid surgeons and patients in preoperative planning. ..
- Tunc B, Solmaz B, Parker D, Satterthwaite T, Elliott M, Calkins M, et al. Establishing a link between sex-related differences in the structural connectome and behaviour. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2016;371:20150111 pubmed publisher..We also showed that these behavioural and structural patterns correlate with each other, establishing a reliable link between brain and behaviour. ..
- Sood A, Berkowitz S. Prevention of Youth Violence: A Public Health Approach. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2016;25:243-56 pubmed publisher..The complexity of factors related to violence requires a comprehensive public health approach. This article focuses on evidence-based models of intervention to reduce violence while emphasizing collective impact as a guiding principle. ..
- Dayan P, Ballard D, Tham E, Hoffman J, Swietlik M, Deakyne S, et al. Use of Traumatic Brain Injury Prediction Rules With Clinical Decision Support. Pediatrics. 2017;139: pubmed publisher..7%-6.2%). The implementation of TBI prediction rules and provision of risks of ciTBIs by using CDS was associated with modest, safe, but variable decreases in CT use. However, some secular trends were also noted. ..
- Aubert C, Floriani C, Bauer D, da Costa B, Segna D, Blum M, et al. Thyroid Function Tests in the Reference Range and Fracture: Individual Participant Analysis of Prospective Cohorts. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2017;102:2719-2728 pubmed publisher..Among euthyroid adults, lower TSH and higher FT4 are associated with an increased risk of hip fracture. These findings may help refine the definition of optimal ranges of thyroid function tests. ..
- Mody R, Naranjo A, Van Ryn C, Yu A, London W, Shulkin B, et al. Irinotecan-temozolomide with temsirolimus or dinutuximab in children with refractory or relapsed neuroblastoma (COG ANBL1221): an open-label, randomised, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:946-957 pubmed publisher..Further evaluation of biomarkers in a larger cohort of patients might identify those most likely to respond to this chemoimmunotherapeutic regimen. National Cancer Institute. ..
- Grosz A, Jacobs I, Cho C, Schears G. Use of helium-oxygen mixtures to relieve upper airway obstruction in a pediatric population. Laryngoscope. 2001;111:1512-4 pubmed..Helium-oxygen therapy is a useful adjunct therapy for upper airway obstruction. Controlled clinical trials are necessary to better define the appropriate settings for use of helium-oxygen. ..
- French P, Latka M, Gollub E, Rogers C, Hoover D, Stein Z. Use-effectiveness of the female versus male condom in preventing sexually transmitted disease in women. Sex Transm Dis. 2003;30:433-9 pubmed..79 [CI, 0.59-1.06]). Compared with those provided with male condoms alone, women counseled on, and provided with, female condoms fared no worse and experienced a nonsignificant reduction in STDs. ..
- Peindl K, Wisner K, Hanusa B. Identifying depression in the first postpartum year: guidelines for office-based screening and referral. J Affect Disord. 2004;80:37-44 pubmed..The EPDS is an effective depression screen for women who had a previous episode of PPMD. Clinical guidelines are provided for use of the EPDS to identify MD in the first postpartum year in primary care settings. ..
- Biard J, Johnson M, Carr M, Wilson R, Hedrick H, Pavlock C, et al. Long-term outcomes in children treated by prenatal vesicoamniotic shunting for lower urinary tract obstruction. Obstet Gynecol. 2005;106:503-8 pubmed..Although one third of the surviving babies required dialysis and transplantation, the majority have acceptable renal and bladder function and report satisfactory quality of life. III. ..
- Dormans J, Sankar W, Moroz L, Erol B. Percutaneous intramedullary decompression, curettage, and grafting with medical-grade calcium sulfate pellets for unicameral bone cysts in children: a new minimally invasive technique. J Pediatr Orthop. 2005;25:804-11 pubmed..The role of intramedullary decompression as a part of this percutaneous technique is discussed...
- Vahid B, Marik P. An 18-year-old woman with fever, diffuse pulmonary opacities, and rapid onset of respiratory failure: idiopathic acute eosinophilic pneumonia. Chest. 2006;130:1938-41 pubmed
- Burnham J, Shults J, Sembhi H, Zemel B, Leonard M. The dysfunctional muscle-bone unit in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2006;6:351-2 pubmed
- Oladeji O, Johnston T, Smith B, Mulcahey M, Betz R, Lauer R. Quality of life in children with spinal cord injury. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2007;19:296-300 pubmed..In addition to using summary scores, specific ratings may raise important points for clinical decision-making. Results on internal consistency reliability suggest the need for condition-specific questionnaires for children with SCI. ..
- Silberstein S, Saper J, Berenson F, Somogyi M, McCague K, D Souza J. Oxcarbazepine in migraine headache: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study. Neurology. 2008;70:548-55 pubmed publisher..5%); no adverse event occurred in more than 15% of the placebo-treated patients. Overall, oxcarbazepine was safe and well tolerated; however, oxcarbazepine did not show efficacy in the prophylactic treatment of migraine headaches. ..
- Fisher B, Chiller T, Prasad P, Beveridge M, Walsh T, Zaoutis T. Hospitalizations for coccidioidomycosis at forty-one children's hospitals in the United States. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2010;29:243-7 pubmed publisher..We describe the characteristics of initial and subsequent hospitalizations in children with coccidioidomycosis...