Genomes and Genes
Experts and Doctors on zebrafish in Eugene, Oregon, United States
Locale: Eugene, Oregon, United States
- Matthews M, Trevarrow B, Matthews J. A virtual tour of the Guide for zebrafish users. Lab Anim (NY). 2002;31:34-40 pubmed..PHS-funded and AAALAC-accredited facilities are required to use the Guide as the basis for setting up a zebrafish care and use program. The authors describe how they accomplished this task at the University of Oregon Zebrafish Facility. ..
- He X, Yan Y, Eberhart J, Herpin A, Wagner T, Schartl M, et al. miR-196 regulates axial patterning and pectoral appendage initiation. Dev Biol. 2011;357:463-77 pubmed publisher..These results show that a Hox cluster microRNA modulates development of axial patterning similar to nearby protein-coding Hox genes, and acts on appendicular patterning at least in part by modulating retinoic acid signaling. ..
- Hatta K, Kimmel C, Ho R, Walker C. The cyclops mutation blocks specification of the floor plate of the zebrafish central nervous system. Nature. 1991;350:339-41 pubmed..Mosaic analysis establishes that cyc-1 blocks floor plate development autonomously and reveals the presence of homeogenetic induction between floor plate cells. ..
- Beattie C, Hatta K, Halpern M, Liu H, Eisen J, Kimmel C. Temporal separation in the specification of primary and secondary motoneurons in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 1997;187:171-82 pubmed..These results suggest that both primary and secondary motoneurons are specified by signals from midline tissues, but at very different stages of embryonic development. ..
- Muyskens J, Kimmel C. Tbx16 cooperates with Wnt11 in assembling the zebrafish organizer. Mech Dev. 2007;124:35-42 pubmed..Our findings thus reveal that Tbx16, in combination with Wnt11, are critical components not only in morphogenesis but also in initial assembly of the organizer. ..
- Eames B, DeLaurier A, Ullmann B, Huycke T, Nichols J, Dowd J, et al. FishFace: interactive atlas of zebrafish craniofacial development at cellular resolution. BMC Dev Biol. 2013;13:23 pubmed publisher..The FishFace Atlas is a novel learning tool for understanding craniofacial skeletal development, and can serve as a reference for a variety of studies, including comparative and mutational analyses. ..
- Talbot W, Trevarrow B, Halpern M, Melby A, Farr G, Postlethwait J, et al. A homeobox gene essential for zebrafish notochord development. Nature. 1995;378:150-7 pubmed..We show that floating head is the zebrafish homologue of Xnot, a homeobox gene expressed in the amphibian organizer and notochord. We propose that flh regulates notochord precursor cell fate. ..
- Easley Neal C, Fierro J, Buchanan J, Washbourne P. Late recruitment of synapsin to nascent synapses is regulated by Cdk5. Cell Rep. 2013;3:1199-212 pubmed publisher..Importantly, cyclin-dependent kinase 5 (Cdk5) specifically regulated the late recruitment of synapsin transport packets at synapses. These results point to additional layers of complexity in the established mechanisms of synaptogenesis. ..
- Halpern M, Hatta K, Amacher S, Talbot W, Yan Y, Thisse B, et al. Genetic interactions in zebrafish midline development. Dev Biol. 1997;187:154-70 pubmed..From these findings we propose that ntl+ plays an early role in cell fate choice at the dorsal midline, mediated by the Ntl protein acting to antagonize floor plate development as well as to promote notochord development. ..
- Toro S, Varga Z. Equivalent progenitor cells in the zebrafish anterior preplacodal field give rise to adenohypophysis, lens, and olfactory placodes. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2007;18:534-42 pubmed..Single cell lineage analysis in zebrafish suggests that the majority of preplacodal cells might be specified for pituitary, lens, or olfactory placode by the end of gastrulation. ..
- Tallafuss A, Hale L, Yan Y, Dudley L, Eisen J, Postlethwait J. Characterization of retinoid-X receptor genes rxra, rxrba, rxrbb and rxrg during zebrafish development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:556-65 pubmed..Understanding phylogenetic relationships among Rxr genes and their expression patterns during development provides a foundation for future studies of Rxr functions. ..
- Draper B, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish fgf24 functions with fgf8 to promote posterior mesodermal development. Development. 2003;130:4639-54 pubmed..Last, we show that fgf24 is expressed in early fin bud mesenchyme and that inhibiting fgf24 function results in viable fish that lack pectoral fins. ..
- Lewis K, Eisen J. Hedgehog signaling is required for primary motoneuron induction in zebrafish. Development. 2001;128:3485-95 pubmed..Our results also suggest that Twhh and Shh are more important for motoneuron development than Ehh. ..
- Toro S, Wegner J, Muller M, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Identification of differentially expressed genes in the zebrafish hypothalamic-pituitary axis. Gene Expr Patterns. 2009;9:200-8 pubmed publisher..Expression at these stages makes these genes useful markers to study HP maturation and function. ..
- Varga Z, Wegner J, Westerfield M. Anterior movement of ventral diencephalic precursors separates the primordial eye field in the neural plate and requires cyclops. Development. 1999;126:5533-46 pubmed..Our results indicate that movement of a median subpopulation of diencephalic precursors separates retinal precursors into left and right eyes. Wild-type cyclops gene function is required for these morphogenetic movements. ..
- Eisen J, Smith J. Controlling morpholino experiments: don't stop making antisense. Development. 2008;135:1735-43 pubmed publisher..We also discuss how the use of morpholinos can lead to misleading results, including off-target effects, and we suggest controls that will allow researchers to interpret morpholino experiments correctly. ..
- Kimmel C, Miller C, Keynes R. Neural crest patterning and the evolution of the jaw. J Anat. 2001;199:105-20 pubmed..We consider it likely that the jaw supports did indeed arise from branchiomeric cartilages...
- Paragas V, Zhang Y, Haugland R, Singer V. The ELF-97 alkaline phosphatase substrate provides a bright, photostable, fluorescent signal amplification method for FISH. J Histochem Cytochem. 1997;45:345-57 pubmed..Finally, Southern blot hybridization using singly labeled oligonucleotide probes yielded a sensitivity similar to that obtained with radioactivity. ..
- Gore A, Athans B, Iben J, Johnson K, Russanova V, Castranova D, et al. Epigenetic regulation of hematopoiesis by DNA methylation. elife. 2016;5:e11813 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal an epigenetic mechanism supporting the maintenance of hematopoietic cell fate via DNA methylation-mediated perdurance of a key transcription factor in HSPCs. ..
- Hanneman E, Trevarrow B, Metcalfe W, Kimmel C, Westerfield M. Segmental pattern of development of the hindbrain and spinal cord of the zebrafish embryo. Development. 1988;103:49-58 pubmed..A continuous longitudinal column of developing neurones appears in the spinal cord, whereas an alternating series of large and small clusters of neurones is present in the hindbrain. ..
- Kimmel C, Sepich D, Trevarrow B. Development of segmentation in zebrafish. Development. 1988;104 Suppl:197-207 pubmed..Results of heat-shock experiments suggest that development of myotomal and spinal segments are regulated coordinately in postgastrula embryos. Segmental patterning may be a relatively late feature of zebrafish embryonic development. ..
- Ochi H, Pearson B, Chuang P, Hammerschmidt M, Westerfield M. Hhip regulates zebrafish muscle development by both sequestering Hedgehog and modulating localization of Smoothened. Dev Biol. 2006;297:127-40 pubmed..These data support a model in which Hhip regulates muscle development both by sequestering Hedgehog and by modulating localization of Smoothened. ..
- Lewis K, Eisen J. Paraxial mesoderm specifies zebrafish primary motoneuron subtype identity. Development. 2004;131:891-902 pubmed..Our findings suggest that in the absence of signals from paraxial mesoderm, primary motoneurons have a hybrid identity with respect to gene expression, and that under these conditions the CaP axon trajectory may be dominant. ..
- Hirsinger E, Stellabotte F, Devoto S, Westerfield M. Hedgehog signaling is required for commitment but not initial induction of slow muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 2004;275:143-57 pubmed
- Puschel A, Gruss P, Westerfield M. Sequence and expression pattern of pax-6 are highly conserved between zebrafish and mice. Development. 1992;114:643-51 pubmed
- Yan Y, Jowett T, Postlethwait J. Ectopic expression of hoxb2 after retinoic acid treatment or mRNA injection: disruption of hindbrain and craniofacial morphogenesis in zebrafish embryos. Dev Dyn. 1998;213:370-85 pubmed..The results suggest that hoxb2 plays an important role in the patterning of hindbrain and pharyngeal arches in the zebrafish. ..
- Yan Y, Hatta K, Riggleman B, Postlethwait J. Expression of a type II collagen gene in the zebrafish embryonic axis. Dev Dyn. 1995;203:363-76 pubmed
- Thisse C, Thisse B, Halpern M, Postlethwait J. Goosecoid expression in neurectoderm and mesendoderm is disrupted in zebrafish cyclops gastrulas. Dev Biol. 1994;164:420-9 pubmed..We propose that in the gastrula head, goosecoid may be important in organizing the ventral neurectoderm. ..
- Yan Y, Miller C, Nissen R, Singer A, Liu D, Kirn A, et al. A zebrafish sox9 gene required for cartilage morphogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5065-79 pubmed..Likewise, calcein labeling revealed that early bone formation was largely unaffected in jef (sox9a) mutants. These studies show that jef (sox9a) is essential for both morphogenesis of condensations and overt cartilage differentiation. ..
- Amacher S, Kimmel C. Promoting notochord fate and repressing muscle development in zebrafish axial mesoderm. Development. 1998;125:1397-406 pubmed
- DeLaurier A, Huycke T, Nichols J, Swartz M, Larsen A, Walker C, et al. Role of mef2ca in developmental buffering of the zebrafish larval hyoid dermal skeleton. Dev Biol. 2014;385:189-99 pubmed publisher..Hence, steps along the developmental trajectory appear differentially sensitive to the loss of buffering, providing focus for the future study. ..
- Miller C, Maves L, Kimmel C. moz regulates Hox expression and pharyngeal segmental identity in zebrafish. Development. 2004;131:2443-61 pubmed
- Cheesman S, Eisen J. gsh1 demarcates hypothalamus and intermediate spinal cord in zebrafish. Gene Expr Patterns. 2004;5:107-12 pubmed..These data suggest gsh1 may play a role in patterning cell types generated in these domains. ..
- Sepich D, Ho R, Westerfield M. Autonomous expression of the nic1 acetylcholine receptor mutation in zebrafish muscle cells. Dev Biol. 1994;161:84-90 pubmed..We conclude that the nic1 mutation acts autonomously in muscle cells rather than by affecting signaling between motoneurons and muscle. The wild-type nic1 gene is necessary in muscle for expression and clustering of AChRs. ..
- Peng G, Westerfield M. Lhx5 promotes forebrain development and activates transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. Development. 2006;133:3191-200 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that Lhx5 is a required factor that promotes forebrain development and inhibits Wnt signaling by activating the transcription of secreted Wnt antagonists. ..
- Catchen J, Conery J, Postlethwait J. Inferring ancestral gene order. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;452:365-83 pubmed publisher..We apply this method here to reconstruct the ancestors of a specific chromosome in the zebrafish Danio rerio. ..
- Maves L, Kimmel C. Dynamic and sequential patterning of the zebrafish posterior hindbrain by retinoic acid. Dev Biol. 2005;285:593-605 pubmed..Our results support a new model of dynamic RA action in the hindbrain, in which a temporally increasing source of RA is required to sequentially initiate progressively more posterior rhombomere identities...
- Nichols J, Pan L, Moens C, Kimmel C. barx1 represses joints and promotes cartilage in the craniofacial skeleton. Development. 2013;140:2765-75 pubmed publisher..We further show that hand2 feeds back to negatively regulate barx1 expression. We consider the possibility that changes in barx1 function in early vertebrates were among the key innovations fostering the evolution of skeletal joints...
- Hans S, Christison J, Liu D, Westerfield M. Fgf-dependent otic induction requires competence provided by Foxi1 and Dlx3b. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:5 pubmed..These results provide further support for the hypothesis that Foxi1 and Dlx3b provide competence for cells to respond to Fgf and form an otic placode. ..
- Tallafuss A, Kelly M, Gay L, Gibson D, Batzel P, Karfilis K, et al. Transcriptomes of post-mitotic neurons identify the usage of alternative pathways during adult and embryonic neuronal differentiation. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:1100 pubmed publisher..This important insight and the lists of enriched genes we have identified will now help pave the way to a better understanding of the mechanisms of embryonic and adult neuronal differentiation and how to manipulate these processes. ..
- Thisse C, Thisse B, Schilling T, Postlethwait J. Structure of the zebrafish snail1 gene and its expression in wild-type, spadetail and no tail mutant embryos. Development. 1993;119:1203-15 pubmed..The work presented here suggests that snail1 is involved in morphogenetic events during gastrulation, somitogenesis and development of the cephalic neural crest, and that no tail may act as a positive regulator of snail1. ..
- Fritz A, Rozowski M, Walker C, Westerfield M. Identification of selected gamma-ray induced deficiencies in zebrafish using multiplex polymerase chain reaction. Genetics. 1996;144:1735-45 pubmed..These deficiencies provide a basis for analyzing the functions of cloned zebrafish genes using noncomplementation screens for point mutations induced by high-efficiency chemical mutagenesis. ..
- Moens C, Yan Y, Appel B, Force A, Kimmel C. valentino: a zebrafish gene required for normal hindbrain segmentation. Development. 1996;122:3981-90 pubmed..These results provide genetic evidence for a two-segment periodicity in the hindbrain and suggest that this periodicity arises sequentially, through the specification and later subdivision of a two-rhombomere unit, or 'protosegment'. ..
- Cheesman S, Neal J, Mittge E, Seredick B, Guillemin K. Epithelial cell proliferation in the developing zebrafish intestine is regulated by the Wnt pathway and microbial signaling via Myd88. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108 Suppl 1:4570-7 pubmed publisher..veronii. Collectively, these data demonstrate that resident intestinal bacteria enhance the stability of β-catenin in intestinal epithelial cells and promote cell proliferation in the developing vertebrate intestine. ..
- Ochi H, Westerfield M. Lbx2 regulates formation of myofibrils. BMC Dev Biol. 2009;9:13 pubmed publisher..Expression of myofilament genes, including actin and myosin, requires the engrailed repressor domain of Lbx2. Our results elucidate a new function of Lbx2 as a regulator of myofibril formation. ..
- Amores A, Force A, Yan Y, Joly L, Amemiya C, Fritz A, et al. Zebrafish hox clusters and vertebrate genome evolution. Science. 1998;282:1711-4 pubmed..Thus, teleosts, the most species-rich group of vertebrates, appear to have more copies of these developmental regulatory genes than do mammals, despite less complexity in the anterior-posterior axis. ..
- Song H, Yan Y, Titus T, He X, Postlethwait J. The role of stat1b in zebrafish hematopoiesis. Mech Dev. 2011;128:442-56 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that zebrafish Stat1b promotes myeloid development at the expense of erythroid development. ..
- Huycke T, Eames B, Kimmel C. Hedgehog-dependent proliferation drives modular growth during morphogenesis of a dermal bone. Development. 2012;139:2371-80 pubmed publisher..Hence, patterning within a module may include adjacent regions of functionally related bones and might require that signaling pathways function over an extended period of development. ..
- Matthews J, Brown A, Larison K, Bishop Stewart J, Rogers P, Kent M. Pseudoloma neurophilia n. g., n. sp., a new microsporidium from the central nervous system of the zebrafish (Danio rerio). J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2001;48:227-33 pubmed..1% similarity and therefore this microsporidium can be considered a distinct genus and species, which we have named Pseudoloma neurophilia n. g., n. sp...
- Bates J, Akerlund J, Mittge E, Guillemin K. Intestinal alkaline phosphatase detoxifies lipopolysaccharide and prevents inflammation in zebrafish in response to the gut microbiota. Cell Host Microbe. 2007;2:371-82 pubmed..Thus, by preventing inflammatory responses, Iap plays a crucial role in promoting mucosal tolerance to resident gut bacteria...
- Morin Kensicki E, Eisen J. Sclerotome development and peripheral nervous system segmentation in embryonic zebrafish. Development. 1997;124:159-67 pubmed..We propose that peripheral nervous system segmentation is established through interactions with adjacent paraxial mesoderm which develops as sclerotome in some vertebrate species and myotome in others. ..
- Hans S, Westerfield M. Changes in retinoic acid signaling alter otic patterning. Development. 2007;134:2449-58 pubmed..Thus, excess RA expands otic competence, whereas the loss of RA impairs the expression of fgf3 and wnt8b in the hindbrain, compromising the induction and maintenance of otic fate. ..
- Phillips J, Vastinsalo H, Wegner J, Clément A, Sankila E, Westerfield M. The cone-dominant retina and the inner ear of zebrafish express the ortholog of CLRN1, the causative gene of human Usher syndrome type 3A. Gene Expr Patterns. 2013;13:473-81 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a foundation for exploring the role of Clarin-1 in retinal cell function and survival in a diurnal, cone-dominant species. ..
- Appel B, Korzh V, Glasgow E, Thor S, Edlund T, Dawid I, et al. Motoneuron fate specification revealed by patterned LIM homeobox gene expression in embryonic zebrafish. Development. 1995;121:4117-25 pubmed
- Hale L, Tallafuss A, Yan Y, Dudley L, Eisen J, Postlethwait J. Characterization of the retinoic acid receptor genes raraa, rarab and rarg during zebrafish development. Gene Expr Patterns. 2006;6:546-55 pubmed..Thus, these three genes have largely overlapping expression patterns and a few gene-specific expression domains. Knowledge of these expression patterns will guide the interpretation of the roles these genes play in development. ..
- Postlethwait J, Yan Y, Gates M, Horne S, Amores A, Brownlie A, et al. Vertebrate genome evolution and the zebrafish gene map. Nat Genet. 1998;18:345-9 pubmed..This zebrafish gene map will facilitate molecular identification of mutated zebrafish genes, which can suggest functions for human genes known only by sequence. ..
- Hatta K, Puschel A, Kimmel C. Midline signaling in the primordium of the zebrafish anterior central nervous system. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2061-5 pubmed..Establishment of forebrain ventral positional coordinates may thus require inductive signaling by forebrain midline cells whose specification depends upon the cyclops gene product. ..
- Puschel A, Westerfield M, Dressler G. Comparative analysis of Pax-2 protein distributions during neurulation in mice and zebrafish. Mech Dev. 1992;38:197-208 pubmed..Our results confirm that Pax genes are highly conserved both in sequences and in expression patterns, indicating that they may have a function during early development that has been conserved during vertebrate evolution. ..
- Eberhart J, Swartz M, Crump J, Kimmel C. Early Hedgehog signaling from neural to oral epithelium organizes anterior craniofacial development. Development. 2006;133:1069-77 pubmed
- Walker M, Miller C, Coffin Talbot J, Stock D, Kimmel C. Zebrafish furin mutants reveal intricacies in regulating Endothelin1 signaling in craniofacial patterning. Dev Biol. 2006;295:194-205 pubmed
- Yokoi H, Yan Y, Miller M, Bremiller R, Catchen J, Johnson E, et al. Expression profiling of zebrafish sox9 mutants reveals that Sox9 is required for retinal differentiation. Dev Biol. 2009;329:1-15 pubmed publisher..These roles in eye development were previously unrecognized and reinforce the multiple functions that Sox9 plays in vertebrate development. ..
- Varga Z, Amores A, Lewis K, Yan Y, Postlethwait J, Eisen J, et al. Zebrafish smoothened functions in ventral neural tube specification and axon tract formation. Development. 2001;128:3497-509 pubmed..We propose that smoothened is required for induction of lateral floor plate and a subpopulation of hypothalamic cells and for maintenance of medial floor plate and hypothalamic cells. ..
- DeLaurier A, Eames B, Blanco Sanchez B, Peng G, He X, Swartz M, et al. Zebrafish sp7:EGFP: a transgenic for studying otic vesicle formation, skeletogenesis, and bone regeneration. Genesis. 2010;48:505-11 pubmed publisher..This line provides an essential tool for the further study of zebrafish otic vesicle formation and the development and regeneration of the skeleton. ..
- Beattie C, Melancon E, Eisen J. Mutations in the stumpy gene reveal intermediate targets for zebrafish motor axons. Development. 2000;127:2653-62 pubmed..These results reveal a series of intermediate targets involved in motor axon guidance and suggest that stumpy function is required for motor axons to progress from proximally located intermediate targets to distally located ones. ..
- Miller C, Schilling T, Lee K, Parker J, Kimmel C. sucker encodes a zebrafish Endothelin-1 required for ventral pharyngeal arch development. Development. 2000;127:3815-28 pubmed..Collectively our results support a model for dorsoventral patterning of the gnathostome pharyngeal arches in which Et-1 in the environment of the postmigratory cranial neural crest specifies the lower jaw and other ventral arch fates. ..
- Murray K, Bauer J, Tallen A, Matthews J, Westerfield M, Varga Z. Characterization and management of asymptomatic Mycobacterium infections at the Zebrafish International Resource Center. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci. 2011;50:675-9 pubmed..Application of these findings has allowed us to decrease mycobacteriosis in TU zebrafish and resume shipment of TU adults to the research community...
- Tallafuss A, Gibson D, Morcos P, Li Y, Seredick S, Eisen J, et al. Turning gene function ON and OFF using sense and antisense photo-morpholinos in zebrafish. Development. 2012;139:1691-9 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that sox10 function might not be critical during neural crest formation. ..
- Honjo Y, Eisen J. Slow muscle regulates the pattern of trunk neural crest migration in zebrafish. Development. 2005;132:4461-70 pubmed
- Crump J, Maves L, Lawson N, Weinstein B, Kimmel C. An essential role for Fgfs in endodermal pouch formation influences later craniofacial skeletal patterning. Development. 2004;131:5703-16 pubmed..Moreover, we argue that the Fgf-dependent morphogenesis of the pharyngeal endoderm into pouches is critical for the later patterning of pharyngeal cartilages. ..
- Schilling T, Walker C, Kimmel C. The chinless mutation and neural crest cell interactions in zebrafish jaw development. Development. 1996;122:1417-26 pubmed..These results suggest that chn is required for the development of pharyngeal cartilages from cranial neural crest cells and subsequent crest signals that pattern mesodermally derived myocytes. ..
- Liu D, Chu H, Maves L, Yan Y, Morcos P, Postlethwait J, et al. Fgf3 and Fgf8 dependent and independent transcription factors are required for otic placode specification. Development. 2003;130:2213-24 pubmed
- Henion P, Raible D, Beattie C, Stoesser K, Weston J, Eisen J. Screen for mutations affecting development of Zebrafish neural crest. Dev Genet. 1996;18:11-7 pubmed..We present preliminary results from this screen and briefly describe a few representative mutations. We also discuss the general utility of our strategy and comment on the future directions of this approach. ..
- Moens C, Cordes S, Giorgianni M, Barsh G, Kimmel C. Equivalence in the genetic control of hindbrain segmentation in fish and mouse. Development. 1998;125:381-91 pubmed
- Crump J, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. Moz-dependent Hox expression controls segment-specific fate maps of skeletal precursors in the face. Development. 2006;133:2661-9 pubmed..We present a model in which Moz-dependent Hox expression in CNC shapes the normal support skeleton by instructing second-segment CNC to undergo skeletogenesis in response to local extrinsic signals...
- Walker M, Miller C, Swartz M, Eberhart J, Kimmel C. phospholipase C, beta 3 is required for Endothelin1 regulation of pharyngeal arch patterning in zebrafish. Dev Biol. 2007;304:194-207 pubmed
- Kimmel C, Ullmann B, Walker M, Miller C, Crump J. Endothelin 1-mediated regulation of pharyngeal bone development in zebrafish. Development. 2003;130:1339-51 pubmed..Changes involving Edn1 may have occurred during actinopterygian evolution to produce the efficient gill-pumping opercular apparatus of teleosts. ..
- Takayama S, Hostick U, Haendel M, Eisen J, Darimont B. An F-domain introduced by alternative splicing regulates activity of the zebrafish thyroid hormone receptor alpha. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2008;155:176-89 pubmed
- Maves L, Jackman W, Kimmel C. FGF3 and FGF8 mediate a rhombomere 4 signaling activity in the zebrafish hindbrain. Development. 2002;129:3825-37 pubmed..Taken together, our findings demonstrate a crucial role for FGF-mediated inter-rhombomere signaling in promoting early hindbrain patterning and underscore the significance of organizing centers in patterning the vertebrate neural plate. ..
- Stewart S, Stankunas K. Limited dedifferentiation provides replacement tissue during zebrafish fin regeneration. Dev Biol. 2012;365:339-49 pubmed publisher..These blastemas each have an organized structure of lineage restricted, dedifferentiated cells that cooperate to regenerate the caudal fin. ..
- Bradford Y, Conlin T, Dunn N, Fashena D, Frazer K, Howe D, et al. ZFIN: enhancements and updates to the Zebrafish Model Organism Database. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:D822-9 pubmed publisher..Here, we describe recent additions to ZFIN including (i) enhanced access to images, (ii) genomic features, (iii) genome browser, (iv) transcripts, (v) antibodies and (vi) a community wiki for protocols and antibodies. ..